I only take this drug for sleep, for 5 years now. I take the 2mg white bars. But even sometimes I don’t sleep great like I did when started. My doctor is pretty easy going but I feel funny want to ask him for 3mgs . Now I’m talking 90 a month instead of 60 a month?
You've probably built up a tolerance to this benzodiazepine. There are other meds for sleep that you might want to ask your doctor about.
I agree with Kevin.
Tolerance is a bad word for these types of drugs.
Never hesitate to tell your doctor about the problems you are having or else, he will never know and you will be suffering needlessly.
1) Take a Drug Holiday (old fashioned term but under supervision). It basically means to go off if it for awhile so it works better when you go back on it.
2) Switch to another med.
3) My Fav - Discuss with your doc the possibility of combining another drug with your present meds.
Ex ... I tried most of them with the same problems after 6 months. It was like I didn’t take a pill at all! Desperate for sleep. I was sleeping every 3rd day and then 6 hours at most.
My great contribution here (Lol)...
He added trazodone (anti-depressant ) with combination of my usual Ambien.
It’s been working for 6 years!
BTW... If insomnia is a new problem, do NOT look for pills as first action.
Read about using all the different therapies first.
Once you start meds, it’s very hard to reclaim your previous lifestyle.
Have a sleep study if it becomes a problem affecting your everyday routine.
Sleep apnea is a quiet killer.
- Xanax Information for Consumers
- Xanax Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Xanax (detailed)
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.