What term use for doses of a druges in a prescription?

DzooBaby 3 Aug 2011

Do you mean when reading a Drs written prescription what symbol means the dose? When a Dr writes for tabs it will look like an i with a line under the dot-one i for one and 2 i symbols for 2. It will say, the name of the drug and Sig: i-ii tabs po q 4-6h PRN for pain which means, Directions:1-2 tabs by mouth every 4-6 hours as needed for pain, for example. I hope I answered what you were asking.

Anonymous 3 Aug 2011

Hey DzooBaby, I didn't see your response. I was typing away when you posted your thread. ha! Coffee is on, enjoy.

DzooBaby 3 Aug 2011

Mmmm thanks! I sure can use some this morning! Pastries too? Actually, I forgot the part you were talking about. once a day is qD, twice a day is BID, three times a day is TID, 4 times a day is QID, q8 is every 8 hours, q 12 is every 12 hours etc.

DzooBaby 3 Aug 2011

Laurie Shay and I do this a lot. We type the same answers but she types faster than me so hers usually shows first and we say almost the same thing! Smart girl Laurie is. She should be a nurse!

Anonymous 3 Aug 2011

Ha! I know from what you say DzooBaby. Laurie should have been a pharmacist. Oh, we do have pastries this morning, well early afternoon, assorted variety. A bit to choose from, so most everyone will or should be pleased. Our coffee this afternoon, is from Columbia, its a dark roast,full flavor. And theres still, fresh home made lemonade, along with iced tea, as well as mineral water. I've a brunch going in in three different threads. Ha! Gaining weight today. Enjoy your day DzooBaby, its another scorcher here, in South Carolina, as I know it is down your way. Well, you do get the sea breeze. here, its hit and miss. Forcast is for rain tomorrow, but only a 20% chance for afternoon storms. That increases to 40% for Friday. Stay cool and care for a refill?

DzooBaby 3 Aug 2011

Please as it is still morning here! 10:30 anyway! lol That is still morning, no? After my coffee I may have an iced tea or lemonaid,mmmm. Good selection of pastries too! Pastries are good all day! I wont be hungry for lunch! lol

Anonymous 3 Aug 2011

Hi pathik. Help me out here. Are you asking about a doctor writing out a perscription, and ... the symbol for the amount of, quantity of that particular drug? if its to be given twice a day, it might be x2. You should have a print out from your pharmacy, as well as directions on your vial/medicine bottle.