Can hydroxyzine. be used long term for anxiety? With no long term side effects?

OutlawRN 15 Sep 2015

I have been on it for 5 plus years at 200mg at bedtime and 100mg for anxiety and I have not had any problems.

chuck1957 15 Sep 2015

Not myself
Yes: Hydroxyzine is used for many things and very effective medication. One of the few drugs from years back that has not had long term effects that I have read or seen and much safer being non-narcotic medications. Many doctors use this as a go-to medication for anxiety. And it has proved itself to be very good medication for those it works for and one of the older ones on the market. No worries with this one.. have a great day. Chuck1957 PS but as with any medication must be taken as directed be aware of drowsiness,sedation so see how it works when you have time to take it and don't have to drive etc until you know how it works on you and remember you can't judge it by your first dose like many meds it can hit you harder as your body gets used to it. Enjoy your day.Chuck.

amysun 9 days ago

People answer these questions without really having a clue about the facts. I've been on hydroxyzine since I was 8 yrs old, 25 mg/day. I'm now 41. It has stolen my life. Check the recent harvard medical review study about anticholinergic drugs (of which hydroxyzine is class 3 of 0-3 ,meaning definite strong anticholinergic activity). Drugs with this action, antihistimines, are very strongly linked to dementia, alzheimers and hugely increased mortality. It has basically destroyed my memory. I don't remember my childhood. I don't remember what I ate yesterday. I don't remember conversations, movies, books, nothing. My head is a constant fog. Thing is, I used to be really smart. Really smart. Now I basially can't do anything. Can't do basic jobs. Can't keep track of anything. Can't remember to pay bills, or even what bills there are to pay. And I'm terrified of what's to come. Of course they said there were no side effects. That's what they say.

CherylNeal 9 days ago

I am of the same opinion as amysun. There are many side effects related to the long time use of antihistamines. Hydroxyzine is good for seasonal allergies, but it can definitely mess with your mind if you take it on a regular basis, especially in high doses. It wasn't designed to treat anxiety, the side effects include a mild sedative effect and it isn't a controlled substance like Xanax or Valium, therefore people think it's harmless and doctors aren't "watched" closely by the DEA for prescribing it. The medications like Xanax are made to relieve stress and anxiety. In my personal experience I don't have any problems with the drugs that are made to relieve stress and anxiety. Hydroxyzine is not much different than taking Benadryl in high doses, and on a regular basis. You can take Xanax when you actually have to and not become any more dependent on it than Hydroxyzine or Benadryl. Good luck with your anxiety issues and the doctors that "trick" you into taking something that just covers their own butts.