What can you do if your medication is stolen and it is a controlled substance?

Anonymous 24 Jan 2012

angela27. welcome to the site, first, i wanna say that what im about to say is the truth of how we on narcotic medication is on. the whole situation woould be on how often do you get the refills for your medications, what it is, and how much you take a day. also has there been problems with your medication running out early due to you taking more then priscribed? im just trying to throw out some suggestions to you, only becaue there aree a hu number patients who are on pain managemetn, even having to refill early at times. it also all depends on your relationship with your dr, the lenghth of time on it, and also has this happened before? i only am asking ths because many patients, who abuse these pain mediation and will give any story for an early refill. again im not saying this is what your doing, just saying what it can be looked at. hang in there

Labroken 30 Jan 2018

no, I never take extras. EVER. I do my meds on a weekly basis and keep all bottles locked up. this happened about 5 years ago, and since i have installed security cameras and have caught my ex-husband entering my LOCKED room, and stealing - sometimes quantities of 80+ leaving me screwed for the month.

DzooBaby 24 Jan 2012

First of all, you should file a police report. Once you file a police report then let your Dr know what happened. He may or may not authorize an early fill. As the poster above says, it depends on your Dr, and what your habits have been. Filing a police report helps to back your claim that, yes indeed, your meds were stolen. I know my Drs will NOT even think about replacing meds without a police report.

DzooBaby 24 Jan 2012

You may also want to consider getting a lock box for your future meds so that this doesnt happen again.

Anonymous 24 Jan 2012

And if you know who did it, keep them away from your home! Mary

Labroken 9 Aug 2017

I have placed a lock on my bedroom door. . placed my pain meds in a sentry fireproof safe... and even logged every pill i take... and every week. 5 to 12 are missing. Making me not be able to make it to the next month. I dont know what more to do.

Bcuzicare 31 Dec 2017

Count your pills when you get them. Pharmacy workers are people too. There could be an error on the count. That could explain it. I’ve had to do this before.

Labroken 1 Jan 2018

I do, video tape once I get home, open the package and the count is correct. I also bought a security camera for my locked bedroom. Found ex-husband stole 80 pills! Scum bag, dont know how but he had a key to my room, some people are just pure SH!&*

uniquemami 21 Dec 2017

Mine were prescribed early for a surgery I'm having in a few days and the whole bottle was stolen. Filing a police report is a great idea, but I'm pretty sure mine were taken by someone I'm close to/that I know well. I don't want to report them, but my doctor is going to expect a report (more than likely) to prescribe me new ones for the surgery.

jamieboy54 30 Jan 2018

I had my purse stolen over the weekend with my pain meds were in it. I was out of town and had just had it filled before I left. I have a police report do you think the doctor will write another?