Does Trazodone make you hungry?

masso 16 Nov 2013

I checked the list of possible side effects an increased appetite is not listed.

https://www.drugs.com/sfx/trazodone-side-effects.html

486ocean 16 Nov 2013

Thank you. That makes me feel a lot better! : )

masso 16 Nov 2013

Well, you are certainly welcome!

masso 16 Nov 2013

How Common Is Weight Loss With Trazodone?
In clinical studies of trazodone, weight loss occurred in up to 5.7 percent of people taking the drug. Although weight loss may be a desirable side effect for some people, too much weight loss can be a problem, especially if the weight loss is unwanted.

Why Does Trazodone Cause Weight Loss?
It is not entirely clear why trazodone can cause weight loss. The medication can often cause loss of appetite, nausea, and diarrhea, which may contribute to weight loss. Often, these side effects go away with time. However, let your healthcare provider know if this is not the case for you. Also, since weight gain can be a symptom of depression, treating the depression can lead to weight loss.

If you are experiencing too much weight loss with trazodone, be sure to let your healthcare provider know.

Reference: eMedTV

chuck1957 16 Nov 2013

Hi 486OCEAN I went a little deeper in my books from work and knowing i have taken trazadone at if i stayed up more than 15 minutes after i took it i was tearing the kitchen apart.And also several customers have complained about this Now the good new is that weight gain and loss are about the same of those taking the drug and those taking the sugar pill or placbo and most comman is weight loss..So here is the info i copyed and paste from trazodone anyway all the trazodone i dispenced i never seen anyone gain any noticable weight i feel nothing to worry about l... Chuck WISE retired Pharmacy Technician Cpht
Portland,or..this is the part i copied... In addition to the relatively common (i.e., greater than 1%) untoward events enumerated above, the following adverse events have been reported to occur in association with the use of Trazodone hydrochloride in the controlled clinical studies: akathisia, allergic reaction, anemia, chest pain, delayed urine flow, early menses, flatulence, hallucinations/delusions, hematuria, hyper-salivation, hypomania, impaired speech, impotence, increased appetite, increased libido, increased urinary frequency, missed periods, muscle twitches, numbness, and retrograde ejaculation.You well notice out of this manuf book it is increased appetite,now keep you mind on the fact That the most comman side effect is weight LOSS and gain is from 1% TO LESS here is the fact and i would say you have nothing to worry about have a great weekend. Chuck.

486ocean 17 Nov 2013

Hi Chuck1957,

Thank you so much for sending that. How nice of you to do all that research! I do feel so much better now about the weight gain, or probably lack of, with Trazodone. I am on other medication, so I will have to research further. Thanks again and have a nice night.