Trazodone - causes intense nightmares/dreams?

Answers

masso 3 Sep 2017

I was on this AD and fully empathize with you as I experienced nightmares and vivid dreams too, I had to stop taking it.
I suggest you contact your Dr. (when you can) and see what can be done in your case.

Psychiatric
Common (1% to 10%): Anger/hostility, excitement, insomnia, nightmares/vivid dreams
Frequency not reported: Hallucinations/delusions, mania/hypomania, impaired speech, suicidal ideation, disorientation, aggressive reaction, withdrawal syndrome
Postmarketing reports: Abnormal dreams, agitation, anxiety, paranoid reaction, psychosis

https://www.drugs.com/sfx/trazodone-side-effects.html

Gmaildrug 7 Nov 2017

Was on only 50mg each night for 2wks. Prescribed for sleep. The first wk, seemed to work well but into the 2nd week, didn't work as well at all . The last night i took it had the worst nightmare i years! Screaming to the point that i woke everyone i the house! Definitely not for me. Took lorazepam with no major problems for yrs.

yeja 30 Jan 2018

trazadone causes me to have dreams that are so detailed and scary and i feel that i am insane sometimes. i scream in my sleep, a film producer could not imagine the crazy dreams i have on trazadone

Kellygyrl 1 Feb 2018

I have taken it once. I cannot say it was nightmare. But they definitely play on the psyche.
I am going through a tough time and my dreams... 2... dealt with each issue with one major over arching theme. I'll take break my 50mg in half to 25 and see what happens.

jennyneedsmeds 15 Aug 2019

Yes. I was in rehab and the only medication they gave me to begin with was trazodone for sleep. I thought it was just rumors or nothing serious until my first week into it... then I started experiencing them. Throughout my 23+ years of life, I have never had nightmares like these. I am still on trazodone and only a blood pressure medication with it, and my nightmares are so intense that I wake up shaking and crying. The weirdest thing about these nightmares is that they repeat, over and over, to the point that I'm asking myself (in the dream) if I've finally woken up yet. Even in my dreams, I curl up into a ball shaking crying and covering my eyes/ears until it ends. For me, it's different nightmares each night, but each one that I have repeats after itself (5-8 times) until I wake up - for example, a dream where I am in bed being taunted ruthlessly by shadow figures will end then restart - but worse each time until it scares me awake. It's very bizarre. I used to be able to handle nightmares, but these are so vicious and intense that I had to tell my doctor. The trazodone is the only sleeping medication that's ever helped me, so I didn't want to stop, but he gave me Prazosin to add onto it (yes, it's for Blood pressure, but it has secondary effects to help with PTSD and, thus, nightmares). I have yet to try it as I just got it today, but will do my best to check back in if it helps. I know someone who takes it for similar reasons, and it supposedly helps them. It's nice to know I'm not alone, although I hate for this to be the commonality.