Tramadol - Does anyone else have horrible itching with this medication?

5 Answers

mpvt 15 Mar 2010

Try taking benadryl capsules as prescribed on the box. Tramadol can cause you to release histamines which makes you itchy. This is quite common and anti histamine pills will control it... It can also be a sign of taking to much which people need to be careful as Tramadol causes seizures at high doses..

Julie2380 15 Mar 2010

My doctor told me I could take benadryl with Tramadol, but I haven't tried it yet.
I know it causes siezures, I make sure I do my homework on every medication I ever take. But it says that itching is a severe side effect, just wondering how severe it is. I only take 50-100mg a day, I am well aware how much I should not take.

mpvt 15 Mar 2010

Please don't think I was accusing you of abuse, I was just informing you that this drug can be very dangerous. Don't be worried about getting itchy from this drug. It is very common to get quite itchy from it. The Benadryl will take it away and I suggest you go get some and ask the pharmacist about how to take it for opiate histamine release... Good luck..

Julie2380 15 Mar 2010

I didn't think you were accusing me of abuse, just putting it out there I just started it 3 weeks ago. I am very weary of new drugs so I make sure I am well educated on them. I appreciate the advice, I will talk to my pharmacist!
Julie

Ed 009 26 Aug 2016

How long does the itching last from tramadol? I cannot get any Benadryl until the morning..

EmmaGemma 6 Oct 2016

The itching varies from person to person so the itching could stop not too long after you took a dose or it could last the entire duration til the tramadol is out of your system.

judyguru 12 Jan 2017

I have osteoarthritis.
I started out taking 100 mg. 3 times a day. The doctor said he could give me the time released after we figured out the correct dose. In the beginning my palms were itching. No visible signs of a rash, just horrible itching in the palms of my hands. This went on for 3-4 days, not even thinking it could be reaction to Tramadol. Then my entire upper torso and neck started itching, next came hives. (red whelps) At first Benadryl seemed to help. Now, the red whelps are going down, but my palms are driving me crazy. I called the dr. Was told to stop the tramadol and the itching should subside w/n 48 hrs. Today, I went for my yearly female check up. The Doctor was nice enough to give me a steroid shot. The whelps on my neck are starting to go away, but my itching palms are driving me crazy. Just took a Zyrtec. That seemed to help. I will NOT KNOWINGLY, EVER TAKE ANOTHER TRAMADOL AGAIN!!!

On a side note, any type of pain medication makes me itch, but nothing like the red whelps and extreme itching in the palms of my hands.

At this point, I have just hoping tomorrow will be a better day.

Just be careful w/ Tramadol if you are sensitive to other pain meds.

Malina01 1 Apr 2017

First time ever taking- March 31 st 2017 i took two ultram/tramadol for pain the doc recently prescribed to me. my experience was horrible. Severe itching everwhere!!! Extreme paranoia!!! Restless legs!!! No sleep crazy dreams that caused me to jerk. These meds r going in the trash. This pill is scary what the hell are they giving us. The reviews are def un healthy for body and brain. Never again. People!!! Please be careful

msmoe1006 15 Nov 2017

I slipped and fell on my left butt cheek and tailbone. I ended up injuring my kidney and pinched a nerve. My dr prescribed Tramadol. On my third day being on this drug, I was totally itchy all over. From scalp, arms, back, hips. My coworkers were teasing me, telling me I had fleas. During my follow up with my Dr, he prescribed me anti itch lotion and the itchiness has subside. About 2 weeks after injury, I can finally stand up correctly, almost back to normal.

Bam354 25 May 2018

What anti itch lotion was used?

Bam354 4 Jul 2018

I take my usual dose and last week, I didn't take any Tramadol until this week because of the itchiness. I still had the itchiness with the Benadryl, so I was put on Prednisone 5mgs for 5 days.

rvickers 15 Nov 2016

I just came to this site to ask the same question. I am itching like mental and wondered if it was normal. But having read that Tramadol releases histimines in the body that makes a bit more sense. I only seem to itch from it after about 12 hours from taking when I go to bed. Do you think this is because it's hot in the bed? It's very strange. Even my teeth itch!!

Dina619619 19 Jun 2017

I have the same thing. I only take 50-100mg a day and around 10-12 hours later or more when i go to bed i start iching like crazy. Its getting worse than the reason im taking it. So im going to take oxcodone for a few days n stop tramadol. Doc said to alternate so that theres not so much tramadol in my system. Its working!!

dr_isaq 5 Apr 2018

Try Arius or Loratadine 10 mg together with Tramadol. I've been taking Loratadine with Tramacet which is a combination of Tramadol and Acetaminophen and whenever I take Tramacet, I have to take the loratadine with it, otherwise, I show a crazy itchiness reaction to Tramadol.

Bam354 4 Jul 2018

Even between my fingers, I itch and my scalp!

Don28314 4 Sep 2017

I don't like taking pain pills very often so I've had a prescription for Tramadol 50 mg pills for about a year I've taken it a couple of times. After taking it the first time I started itching all over my body, especially in my crotch area and around my waist. The next day I had a blister that covered half of my penis and the skin peeled off within a couple of days leaving a nice scar. I was not sure if tramadol was the cause of the blistering at the time. Six months later I took another pill, itching all night blister the next day. I won't be taking it again.

Smason8488 16 Dec 2017

Yes!!! I have been itching all day!! Hence the reason why I'm replying to you. I'm glad I am not the only one. Flushing these craps right now!!

irwin goldzweig 3 Jul 2018

I got a body rash (back, sides, chest) and sever itching. I stopped the Tramadol and rash disappeared. I'm back on Tramadol now for my neck, back, and sciatica pain. I'm also looking for solutions to control the rash and itching. Benadryl has not helped me.