Tramadol - Does anyone else have horrible itching with this medication?

mpvt 15 Mar 2010

Try taking benadryl capsules as prescribed on the box. Tramadol can cause you to release histamines which makes you itchy. This is quite common and anti histamine pills will control it... It can also be a sign of taking to much which people need to be careful as Tramadol causes seizures at high doses..Dave

Julie2380 15 Mar 2010

My doctor told me I could take benadryl with Tramadol, but I haven't tried it yet.
I know it causes siezures, I make sure I do my homework on every medication I ever take. But it says that itching is a severe side effect, just wondering how severe it is. I only take 50-100mg a day, I am well aware how much I should not take.

mpvt 15 Mar 2010

Please don't think I was accusing you of abuse, I was just informing you that this drug can be very dangerous. Don't be worried about getting itchy from this drug. It is very common to get quite itchy from it. The Benadryl will take it away and I suggest you go get some and ask the pharmacist about how to take it for opiate histamine release... Good luck..Dave

Julie2380 15 Mar 2010

I didn't think you were accusing me of abuse, just putting it out there I just started it 3 weeks ago. I am very weary of new drugs so I make sure I am well educated on them. I appreciate the advice, I will talk to my pharmacist!
Julie

rvickers 15 Nov 2016

I just came to this site to ask the same question. I am itching like mental and wondered if it was normal. But having read that Tramadol releases histimines in the body that makes a bit more sense. I only seem to itch from it after about 12 hours from taking when I go to bed. Do you think this is because it's hot in the bed? It's very strange. Even my teeth itch!!

Dina619619 19 Jun 2017

I have the same thing. I only take 50-100mg a day and around 10-12 hours later or more when i go to bed i start iching like crazy. Its getting worse than the reason im taking it. So im going to take oxcodone for a few days n stop tramadol. Doc said to alternate so that theres not so much tramadol in my system. Its working!!

Don28314 4 Sep 2017

I don't like taking pain pills very often so I've had a prescription for Tramadol 50 mg pills for about a year I've taken it a couple of times. After taking it the first time I started itching all over my body, especially in my crotch area and around my waist. The next day I had a blister that covered half of my penis and the skin peeled off within a couple of days leaving a nice scar. I was not sure if tramadol was the cause of the blistering at the time. Six months later I took another pill, itching all night blister the next day. I won't be taking it again.