Simvastatin - Can you stop taking a statin cold turkey? Yes or No?

Marvell 13 Jan 2012

Yes, you can stop taking a statin cold turkey. But I would urge you to let your doctor know before you stop taking it.

meyati 14 Jan 2012

stop taking it right now. Statin can be quit at any time. It's not a steroid or any type of med that has withdrawal symptoms or does organ damage.
STATIN SHOULD BE ILLEGAL. FDA SAYS IF LEGS HURT TO CONTACT DOCTOR-LEGS FEEL HEAVY BEFORE THEY HURT. STATIN CAUSES KIDNEY AND CIRCULATORY DAMAGE. IF YOU HAVE HYPOTHYROID-YOU CAN END UP BEING IN A WHEEL CHAIR OR UNABLE TO WALK. I'VE HAD TO LEARN HOW TO WALK, ETC. MY JOINTS HURT, MY URINE CHANGED COLOR OVER NIGHT, I DON'T THINK THAT I WILL EVER RECOVER FROM STATINS. IT'S HARD TO GET A DOCTOR TO TAKE IT SERIOUSLY. STATIN HELPS ONLY ONE OUT OF A HUNDRED PEOPLE. AN ANTIBIOTIC THAT WORKED THAT WAY-DAMAGING THE HEALTH OF ABOUT 30% OF PATIENTS WHILE HEALING ONE PERSON WOULD BE PULLED OFF THE MARKET-IT'S NOT ABOUT HEALTH-IT'S ABOUT $$$. IF YOU WANT SOURCES-I CAN GIVE YOU SOME-THESE WARNINGS HAVE BEEN OUT SINCE 1997 BY THE FDA, AMA, NIH, AND OTHERS

Vogster 4 Jul 2015

Great. I have Hashimoto's - hypothyroid disease. And I have been on the crap for a year. In that year I've gained 5 pounds, muscle aches and pains and lower back of an old lady... I'm 55. I stopped last night and decided to ask whether I should taper off. I too believe the drug should be illegal.

Kimbol77 25 Aug 2015

I am 55, have Hashimotos Thyroiditis since I was 32, and have been taking levothryoxine 112 mg since then, and on lin the last few years,, Simvastatin 20 mg, Metformin 500, and hydrochlorothorzide 10... about 4 months ago I started feeling horrible, although I've been having problems off and on even before, and have been reading up on a lot of medical things... I'm discovering that all those meds (except levothyroxine) I've been on have terrible side effects,,, and am reading more as in person's comment above how it has affected them. I stopped Metformin last week, and am stopping Simvastatin today! I hope it's not too late to reverse the bad effects... terrible aching joints, occasional chills, virus like symptoms, dizzy, staggering on occasion... fatigued to the point I can't do much of anything. Thank you for giving me the courage to quit!

Sonny46 27 Apr 2015

i stopped Simvastatin but my angina has increased. Should I start it again?

Redmond1 7 days ago

What happens when you stop taking tendofill?