Is it safe to take Adderall and Xanax together?

Eddyala1 31 May 2014

As we know, Adderall is a stimulant that keeps you awake and active from 8 to 10 hours,it is also widely prescribed for ADHD. Xanax on the other hand is used to treat anxiety and has a very calming effect.Its not wise to take both drugs together and I have no idea why anybody would ever want to do such a thing?It would be so much better to take them to work on each other or to work for each other.Since
Adderall keeps a person awake,then why not take Xanax to relax and calm you from the hyper effects that Adderall will produce.Doesn't that sound better then taking both drugs together?

geo-bzy 31 May 2014

Thank you for your input, I only ask because I am prescribed both and thought it strange that the Dr would prescribe the two together.

Eddyala1 31 May 2014

Didn't the Dr. tell you how to take them?If you wanna talk more privately, you can email me cause I'm a little curious as to how he was treating you. Write back if you want.

Trinabell 31 May 2014

Hey Geo. Yes you can take them together. I'm on both meds prescribed to me by the same Dr. The Adderall keeps me focused & the Xanax keeps me from having an anxiety attack from the jitters that Adderall sometimes causes. It works for me quite well. Good luck

butter43 29 Jan 2015

I have been taking Ritalin and Xanax together for awhile and recently my Dr put me back on Adderall. Recently I have been getting nauseous in the morning after taking it. This has been going on for about a month or so, and I am definitely not pregnant. Anyone have any idea why this is happening??

Thanks

cjc3455 30 Nov 2015

@butter43 The nausea thing happens to me as well. Has been happening for a long time now. Some days I don't even take my adderall because I don't want to have to deal with the nausea. Have you found anything to help?

balbanese 2 Jun 2014

Yes, if they're prescribed by the same physician and the dosage / instructions are followed. Otherwise you could be taking a chance.

K-Lab 4 Jun 2014

I don't like Adderall and Xanax together, Xanax puts you in a fog and Adderall tries to focus your mind so it is just an uncomfortable experience. Now, Adderall early then Xanax at bedtime is perfect. Great mixture.

lchristina 4 Jun 2014

When a Dr prescribes Adderall and Xanax together he knows what he is doing. The Adderall should be taken in the morning and the Xanax should be taken in the evening. If you only take the Adderall it will be hard and uncomfortable to go to sleep. Please do what the doctor says to do. If you have any questions call the office and they will answer your concerns.

rayray82 20 days ago

Speed in the a.m. and a downer at night... sounds like some Elvis Presley going on to me.. Anyone who thinks taking these meds are good are in denial and the dr. who prescribes them should be ashamed..

klmdlf2010 21 Dec 2014

I too am on Adderal and a benzo (same type of drug as Xanax), and there are definite factors to consider when taking two different Rx's that seem counter-productive... Some of which have already been mentioned. I think the main emphasis should be on, while both have been prescribed by your doctor, IT IS ONLY A VIABLE COMBINATION IF BOTH MEDICATIONS ARE TAKEN AT A DIFFERENT TIME... giving both drugs the chance to be at an optimum therapeutic level when needed. My personal experience is reflected, of course, in my remarks... But there is a logical component as well, I believe. ADD'L NOTE: I was on the benzodiazepine for many years prior to the start of Adderal. I cannot say if this has any particular significance to the way my body handles the combination.

buck76 12 Mar 2016

How long were you taking benzo's before starting ADHS meds? I am going to be starting ADHD meds and was wondering how well it curbed your anxiety?. I have been on Xanax for 15 yrs and it is taking 9-10 mg per day to keep anxiety at bay. My doctor wants to start me on these ADHD pills in combination.

kitty k 12 Aug 2015

There are no bad side effects of taking both at the same time otherwise I wouldn't be prescribed both..I've asked. ( I am allowed 60mg Adderall and 6mg Xanax daily but rarely take all that) I like to take 1mg of Xanax per 30mg of Adderall. I get the focus and energy of the Adderall without the jittery side effect sometimes associated with them. They don't interact, however, if I want the full effect of one or the other I don't take at the same time or even on the same day. Hope that helps.

ughughugh 4 Dec 2015

Drugs like Adderall block the dopamine transporters so it cannot be recycled back into the pre synaptic cell, causing a build up of dopamine in the synapse. This can lead to long term potentiation, which is key in learning and memory.

Benzodiazepines bind to GABA receptors which opens Cl ion channels hyperpolarizing the cell. This causes the release of GABA which has a anxiolytic affect.

So if you take both you'll probably learn more and pay attention better and be more relaxed? Sounds great.

mrfollis 27 Aug 2016

This is a short sited explanation of these two very strong drugs, I take both but your explanation could be miss understood since learning and memory are affected by Benzo's.

Laurenbeth79 4 Feb 2016

I take 20mg adderall xr with 1mg xanax supposed to be 4 times a day. The only thing ive noticed is i dont need to take that much xanax anymore the adderall helps alittle better.

Drewfra2004 14 Jun 2016

Xanax and Adderall are perfectly fine to be taken together and the Xanax is not meant to be taken at bedtime like those I read would like to believe. Xanax is for panic disorder and is to be taken as needed not for a good night sleep and Adderall is to focus your mind to let you complete one task instead of starting multiple. Two totally different drugs use them independently for independent reasons but yes you can be on both.

Juwatkin 28 Aug 2016

If you are using them as directed, absolutely. Many people on Adderall also take benzo.

Jswr74 18 Oct 2016

I am not a doctor but just want share personal experience hopefully to help someone who's gone through. So I have high blood pressure and take 20mg of Lisinopril in the morning. This has made me very affected by caffine. So my case might be different. Todays my 5th day on Adderall. 10mg slow release. I took it at 6:00am. I had a headache, so my wife gave me a pill, it had 40mg of caffeine (not much for most people). A couple hours later I got a iced coffee only after a few sips, I begin getting very tingly and panicy. I poured my coffee out. I normally sip it very slow over 2 hours. Then things got bad. My heart started pounding, and tingles got worse. It started feeling like a panic attack. I took 2 aspirin, pretty much started freaking out. I went to my dark bedroom turned the fan on and started deep breathing and tried to lay perfectly still. I felt slightly better, but not much. I researched what to do and most people said start slamming water and take vitamin C.