Does Prilosec cause joint, bone and/or muscle pain?

Anonymous 11 Aug 2012

Bone pain is considered a severe side effect of this med, you must seek immediate medical attention.

https://www.drugs.com/sfx/prilosec-side-effects.html

All the best,

maso.-

AquariusAnneCA 12 Aug 2012

Yes, yes and yes! Prilosec or Omeprazole the generic for Prilosec is what I took for 12 years. My fingers became distorted, I had gout, my legs are still in some pain but I am weaning off of the medication and my bone pain is so much better, gout is gone, fingers are beginning to straighten out and I am walking better. Also, my shortness of breath is almost gone too... not good medication for me! I am taking a zantac 2 times a day and it is helping the horrible heartburn that came with a vengeance when I first stopped the Omeprazole... consider talking to your doctor to a change and not a PPI (proton pump inhibitor) since this stops your production of acid and causes a lot of other problems... just my opinion.
Aquarius Anne

tmartindub 28 Oct 2012

I was prescribed Prilosec for gerd for several years and after a couple of months I developed joint pain so bad I could hardly walk. I was diagnosed as having onset of arthritis. Purely by accident I missed two doses of Prilosec and the pain was almost gone and immediately came back when I resumed the dosage. During the period of two missed doses, my gerd came back with a vengance, far worse that I had it to start with. PPIs should be taken off the market entirely because of their side effects. Sure, they get rid of the gerd but you are hooked for life unless you wean yourself off it as I did. The pain is improving daily.

naseempatel213 22 Aug 2015

Oh my God!! i had the worst pain in my legs. I truly believe this med has strong side effects on bones. If you have arthiritis, please take this med with lot of precaution.

davhag49 23 Aug 2015

Mine is,more of a agreement than a answer. I have so many of the side effects listed and thankful for all the answers shared here to help me make a decision of weaning off this med

cmacdon 6 Dec 2015

YES !
Two days ago I was putting cold compresses and hot compresses on to try and dull the pain I was in. I was hit by a drunk driver a few years ago and thought the pain was somehow connected to that. I started Prilosec when I had an attack of GERD due to Metformin.. I had taken it for a short time years ago with success. This time was different. I had pain in the muscle area of my upper arms, my hips and basically all over. I was honestly in misery and knew it was a different kind of pain.

Queenie101 25 May 2016

OMG ! I am suffering with the same issues . I started out with a dull ache in my legs now I'm stiff all over and my whole body aches . I'm also experiencing trouble with holding my bladder .

fmin 20 Apr 2016

I took Prilosec for 9 months. 50% of the time 20mg, and 50% of the time 40mg OTC. I have severe wrist, and knee pain, which might be unrelated. I regularly take Calcium Citrate, and Magensium supplements. If you're experiencing pain like this, please share it on my health blog wuwei.io. I'm really curious to learn about your story.

Crowsnest 68 28 Jun 2016

I am currently taking omeprpzole twice daily. I have been experiencing back shoulders and neck cramping and pain. Any ideas for omeprpzole replacement and supplements to ease the pain and muscle cramping?

Peterbimla 29 May 2016

Does Prilosec cause muscle and/or joint pain.

Mljva 16 Jul 2016

Hi all. I took 20mg of prilosec for over a decade. About 9 years ago, my hip started hurting and has gotten progressively worse. Also, my magnesium level went way down. My doc put me on mag supplements to the point that I started having bathroom problems. Also said that I have arthritis. X rays proved otherwise. With all of the negatives about prilosec, I have started two new plans. First, I am weaning off of prilosec. Taking 10mg of prilosec in the morning and 150 of zantac in the evening with tums if needed during the day. It seems to be working and I have been on this plan for 3 weeks. Hip pain is hugely better! I cut down the magnesium supplements by 2/3 and am using topical magnesium after every shower. The least sticky topical I have found is EASE spray. Bought from the manufacturer in quantity saves a lot of $.

sara12345 10 Jun 2016

Most likely anyone answering this post has bone pain. I stopped taking Protonix for over a month and felt no difference with my pain problems. But not only did I have acid reflux, but constant coughing. My pulmonologist, from my breathing tests, said that it was from not taking the Protonix. There can be severe problems that can occur to your esophagus if you do need an acid reflux medication. So hopefully those of you who have stopped taking it are not having problems.

Mljva 16 Jul 2016

I also had constant coughing and acid reflux. The prilosec stopped the reflux but not the cough. My doc suggested getting off of lisinopril and the cough went away in short order. He called it "ace cough" and said it is quite common. Now working to get off the prilosec...

Gaboo101 29 Aug 2016

Sara,
Just a couple of comments that might help. I came off Omeprazole to see if joint pain would subside. It took around 8-9 weeks before my symptoms started to improve, they then got better and better. I only lasted that long as a work colleague advised he had done the same before seeing improvements. I had been on them for many years so maybe something builds up in the system? Since then, i haven't been able to stay off PPI meds due to the acid reflux. Every so often i feel the joint pain coming on then take a break from the meds. Its tough as i have to eat a super clean diet to reduce the acid but sure enough my joint pain stops. Every time!

7527 11 Jun 2016

Absolutely. See your doctor please. I could not take that type drug for that reason.