Is it possible for xanax to help with sympthoms of IBS?

DzooBaby 20 Aug 2013

It is possible perhaps but there are other medications that could work as well or better and not be so habit forming. Believe me, you dont want to be hooked on benzodiazepines. Have you tried hydroxyzine? Hydroxyzine works well as an antianxiety medicine and it is also good to treat nausea and vomiting so it may help with IBS symptoms too. It decreases central nervous system activity so it will help your nerves and if it is nerves that aggravate your IBS symptoms, this drug could very well help you and it is not habit forming. Belladonna alkaloids work well too. Another drug to think about is Donnatal Extendtabs (belladonna and phenobarbital) It is an older medication but very effective for IBS.

leebeached 21 Aug 2013

Didnt help me. I concur with the previous answer about getting hooked on benzo's. it can actually irritate it. You didn't mention whether it was constipating or diarrheal ins. I've had it for many decades and tried everything. The most help I got is from low doses of donnatal, accupuncture and medical marijuana- choose the one with less thc- it's the other ingredient that works. Good luck and please if that's what you think it is see a gastroenterologist.

ChelleKay 22 Aug 2013

I have Crohns Disease ( a form of IBS) I also take Xanax, but for anxiety only. There is a chance that it might help, but, would never use Xanax as a way to help with IBS symptoms. For the stress/anxiety that comes with it, maybe. It is a short lived med, so , if, any relief, that too would be short lived. And there are the addictive properties, that can make it hell coming off them. There are so many meds out there now for IBS and such. More than likely there is a better way to control the symptoms. Xanax may help you deal with having IBS, but not for symptoms. Wishing you the best...