Is neurontin a controlled substance?

Anonymous 25 Oct 2012

Neurontin (gabapentin) is not subject to the Controlled Substances Act.

balbanese 2 Aug 2012

Technically no. Prescription only yes. Hope this helps.

squealygirl 24 Oct 2012

Thank you!!

butterflylynn 2 Aug 2012

No it is not classified as a controlled substance.
But if the reason you are asking is you are planning on stopping the medication. You will need to taper off of it under a physicians care as you can have side effects stopping it all together suddenly.
Kathy

squealygirl 24 Oct 2012

Thank you!!

dragontrouble 15 Apr 2017

It ONLY takes 42 hrs to get out of the system! Why would you have to taper off of that??

kaismama 2 Aug 2012

I've got to ask, why did you think to ask that? I get curious when others think of some of the questions they do. Controlled drugs are drugs that are addictive. Nothing about gabapentin is addicting.

Anonymous 2 Aug 2012

I was wondering the same thing!

lanar1026 11 Aug 2012

I'm not sure why this other person asked the question, but I have been wondering also. I switched to this from Lyrica 2 weeks ago because even though Lyrica is "almost" the same medicine, it is controlled. I can't be on any controlled meds in order to go back to work. I have had severe withdrawals everytime I tried coming off Lyrica, so I thought this might be an easier way to get back to work sooner and not go through a month of withdrawals. Also not being on controlled meds would be safer for driving. I have heard of people getting tickets for DUI on controlled meds. YIKES! I have heard that there are some withdrawals with coming off Neurontin also. I think any meds that cause withdrawals mean addiction. In a different sense than narcotics, perhaps, but addiction is addiction. I hope my answer helped some?

YesSir101 15 May 2017

In Kentucky starting July 1, 2017 Gabapentin will be a Schedule 5 Controlled Substance.

Trashpanda 22 Jul 2017

Yes. In the State of Kentucky, on July 1st, 2017, This drug became a controlled substance. My husband takes it for neuropathy and restless leg due to severe Diabetes. I had to show I.D. today to pick up his prescription. I am not sure why it is considered a controlled substance.