Is neurontin a controlled substance?

Anonymous 25 Oct 2012

Neurontin (gabapentin) is not subject to the Controlled Substances Act.

balbanese 2 Aug 2012

Technically no. Prescription only yes. Hope this helps.

squealygirl 24 Oct 2012

Thank you!!

butterflylynn 2 Aug 2012

No it is not classified as a controlled substance.
But if the reason you are asking is you are planning on stopping the medication. You will need to taper off of it under a physicians care as you can have side effects stopping it all together suddenly.
Kathy

squealygirl 24 Oct 2012

Thank you!!

kaismama 2 Aug 2012

I've got to ask, why did you think to ask that? I get curious when others think of some of the questions they do. Controlled drugs are drugs that are addictive. Nothing about gabapentin is addicting.

Anonymous 2 Aug 2012

I was wondering the same thing!

lanar1026 11 Aug 2012

I'm not sure why this other person asked the question, but I have been wondering also. I switched to this from Lyrica 2 weeks ago because even though Lyrica is "almost" the same medicine, it is controlled. I can't be on any controlled meds in order to go back to work. I have had severe withdrawals everytime I tried coming off Lyrica, so I thought this might be an easier way to get back to work sooner and not go through a month of withdrawals. Also not being on controlled meds would be safer for driving. I have heard of people getting tickets for DUI on controlled meds. YIKES! I have heard that there are some withdrawals with coming off Neurontin also. I think any meds that cause withdrawals mean addiction. In a different sense than narcotics, perhaps, but addiction is addiction. I hope my answer helped some?