I'm pre-diabetic, and I've been this way many years. So as a precaution my Dr gave me Metformin 500 mg. On the 3rd day I had an allergic reaction. I was itchy all over, and I felt slightly short of breath for several hours. I've stopped taking it and those symptoms are gone. One relative said she never heard of anyone being allergic to Metformin, and the pharmacist is also skeptical. The Dr is out of town until next week. Has anyone ever heard of anyone being allergic to Metformin? I'm also highly allergic to any form of Sulfer.