Is phenergan useful to treat cough due to common cold?

Marvell 11 Mar 2011

Phenergan MAY help treat a cough... it'll depend from person to person.

Phenergan (promethazine) is an antihistamine. It blocks the effects of the naturally occurring chemical histamine in your body.

Phenergan is used to treat allergy symptoms such as itching, runny nose, sneezing, itchy or watery eyes, hives, and itchy skin rashes.

Phenergan also prevents motion sickness, and treats nausea and vomiting or pain after surgery. It is also used as a sedative or sleep aid.

https://www.drugs.com/phenergan.html

caringsonbj 11 Mar 2011

it has been almost 8 years now but when my father was alive one week end the doctor prescribed an antibiotic and a medication for cough and PND symptoms I do believe it was phenergan DC (might have had an expectorant) I think they still have it on the market, as I thought I went through the book it has an antihistamine effect as well, it is one of the older ones but as I recall it was very effective for him, if you have any questions about the drug itself either talk with the doctor or your pharmacist, also remember this medication has effects such as being drowsy so just kind of keep an eye on him until you see how it affects him. also it is a promethazine type drug.

veerakumarharish 6 Nov 2011

Phenergan should not be given to a child younger than 2 years old. Phenergan can cause severe breathing problems or death in a child younger than 2. Carefully follow your doctor's instructions when giving this medicine to a child of any age. Do not use Phenergan if you have severe asthma, emphysema, or other breathing problem, or if you are allergic to Phenergan or other phenothiazines such as chlorpromazine (Thorazine), fluphenazine (Permitil), perphenazine (Trilafon), prochlorperazine (Compazine, Compro), thioridazine (Mellaril), or trifluoperazine (Stelazine).

If you have certain conditions, you may need a dose adjustment or special tests to safely use Phenergan. Before you take Phenergan, tell your doctor if you have:

Kimmie2012 14 Mar 2012

Not sure if will help with cough but need something to help my daughter