I had a gastric bypass and was prescribed naproxen 550 mg to take, is it safe to take?

Anonymous 26 Jul 2010

Yes it is safe to use, my brother had the same procedure.

One of the many uses of this med is for pain relief, such as for pain following a medical procedure.

Now this medication is used to treat many other conditions as I mentioned before, which are not relevant in your case.

So you know:

Treatment of arthritis symptoms, including pain, stiffness, and swelling. Naproxen can be used to treat several different types of arthritis, including osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, juvenile arthritis (also known as juvenile rheumatoid arthritis), ankylosing spondylitis, and gout. However, the medication does not cure these types of arthritis.

Treatment of painful menstrual periods.

Anonymous 26 Jul 2010

To my understanding, you need to goo through the Doctor who did the Bypass to be sure you can take it. My wife had this done and could not take capsules

Anonymous 19 Feb 2011

Angelica; No, no, no, no, no, no, no!! Hows that for an answer? :-)) I had a gastric bypass, and I had a takedown too,but I suffer from chronic pain and low back pain. I started taking Ibuprofen and Naproxen Sodium (not at once, just occasionally when I was really hurting. I ended up with SEVERE gastritis, and almost put a hole in my stomach. it was written up in my "rules" about gastric bypass not to take those two meds, but I wasn't taking them very often, so I figured that it would be alright. Besides, my pain doctor kept telling me that was my only choice for breakthrough meds. BAD MISTAKE on my part. Now I have to have an endoscopy yearly, plus take Previcid twice a day plus a nasty white chalky med called carafate. As if I don't take enough meds to put down a very large horse!! I can't take Celebrex as I am allergic to sulfa meds.