I am currently taking doxycycline & it says not to lay down for 30 min after taking it. Why is that?

Rajive Goel 8 Feb 2012

Some more information about the med says that it is important to take Doxycycline with plenty of water (or other fluids) while in an upright position, in order to prevent the medication from irritating the throat.

Perhaps lay down would have an irritating effect so it is recommended to stay in an upright position when Doxycycline has been taken, however please do reconfirm this with the doc/pharmacist who prescribed the med.

Take care, best wishes!

Anonymous 8 Feb 2012

I have taken doxyclyline because I am allergic to penicillian for years. They tell you that because when you lay down it can seep up into the ephosegus(sp)& can cause irritation & heartburn. Some meds are like that. My biophosphastes when I used to take them Had to be taken when you first get up in the AM with a full glass of water. Nothing else for 35 minutes. No pills, or coffee or anything! I'd sit in the recliner, upright of course & wait for the coffee to finish perking before I re-opened my peepers. Some drugs are just like that... Hope it clears your infection. Mine is always a sinus infection, but now they use Levaquin, which just went generic by the way. Good luck to you...

ladyJ35 7 Nov 2014

How long does the stomach cramping last after taking the pill?

janine09 8 Nov 2014

I've been on doxy for a week I have stomach pain in my upper stomach and horrible gas pain. Seems like all day long

watermelonlight 9 Nov 2014

I took doxycycline for a tick bite. All was well until one night I had gone to bed and asked my husband to bring me my 2nd dose, as I'd forgotten to take it that day. Within an hour I was having super bad chest pain, burning and ended up going to the ER because it mimicked heart symptoms and they kept me there all night. In the morning I was surfing on my iphone because I remembered once before having "pill esophagitis," and being hospitalized in the same exact way. That time it was from niacin and fossamax. So I diagnosed myself, too bad about the ER bill. Now I am getting ready to take some of the previously prescribed doxycycline because another tick nailed me. I will be staying upright for an hour after taking it. The doctor did not even diagnose me.