This question has also been asked and answered here: How long does prednisone stay in your system for... I have bronchitis?
the half life is roughly 4 hours. The prednisone should be tapered slowly and never stopped abruptly if you have been on it for over 2 weeks and were are a high dose. if you took it for 2-3 days you should be fine. The higher the dose and the longer you are on the drug the slower the taper. The drug itself should be out of your body less than 24 hours but flair ups can result if not tapered. Hope this helps.
The elimination half life of prednisone is around 3 to 4 hours. This is the time it takes for your body to reduce the plasma levels by half.
It usually takes around 5.5 half lives for a drug to be completely eliminated from your system.
With that in mind you could expect a dose or prednisone to be out of your system 16.5 to 22 hours later.
Other factors also need to be taken into account and include:
1. How much and how often you have taken the drug.
2. Your metabolic rate – a slower metabolism will increase the time a drug remains in your system.
3. Your age and health – older age and poor health will generally increase the time the drug stays in your system.
4. Body mass – generally the bigger you are the longer a drug will remain in your system.
Hope this is of help.
- Prednisone Information for Consumers
- Prednisone Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Prednisone (detailed)
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.
Posted 11 Dec 2009 • 1 answer
Posted 20 Nov 2010 • 3 answers
Posted 24 Sep 2011 • 1 answer
Posted 10 Jun 2016 • 1 answer
Posted 24 Jan 2017 • 1 answer