Effexor XR - What is the highest dose you can take?

WildcatVet 8 Jul 2018

Hi, cz! 225mg/day is the maximum dosage except for the most severely depressed patients (usually in hospital):
https://www.drugs.com/dosage/effexor-xr.html
Best regards, Wildcat

I take 300mg of Effexor XR. I’ve been on that dose for 5 years. I think it depends on how conservative your doctor is. The FDA suggests the highest dose of Effexor XR is 225mg and inpatient is 300mg. The guideline is written for every drug so Doctors can easily tell what is a safe and therapeutic dose based on studies done and for Effexor XR it shows 225mg is the highest dose that’s effective. With that being said it’s not a legal guidebook they must follow. It is a suggestion and should be taken into consideration. I know people on much higher doses but not many. The highest dose with a good amount of people on is 300mg. However, before you try getting your doctor to increase your dose look up Effexor discontinuation syndrome. I wish I knew about it before I started. Good luck!

WildcatVet 9 Jul 2018

" Whether or not higher doses of Effexor XR are needed for more severely depressed patients is unknown; however, the experience with Effexor XR doses higher than 225 mg per day is very limited."

MuseMyself 10 Jul 2018

I was on Effexor & Effexor XR for years. My Dr. had me passed the max dose at one time. It can cause serotonin syndrome... I was on 450mg when, 300mg is the actual max dose I was on for years.
It was the most difficult to discontinue especially, at a very high dosage & after, being on it for many years. I personally, had a very bad experience with Effexor-mentally & Physically.
Please, be careful... take care!