Effexor XR - What is the highest dose you can take?

WildcatVet 8 Jul 2018

Hi, cz! 225mg/day is the maximum dosage except for the most severely depressed patients (usually in hospital):
https://www.drugs.com/dosage/effexor-xr.html
Best regards, Wildcat

Fakingitperfectly 9 Jul 2018

I take 300mg of Effexor XR. I’ve been on that dose for 5 years. I think it depends on how conservative your doctor is. The FDA suggests the highest dose of Effexor XR is 225mg and inpatient is 300mg. The guideline is written for every drug so Doctors can easily tell what is a safe and therapeutic dose based on studies done and for Effexor XR it shows 225mg is the highest dose that’s effective. With that being said it’s not a legal guidebook they must follow. It is a suggestion and should be taken into consideration. I know people on much higher doses but not many. The highest dose with a good amount of people on is 300mg. However, before you try getting your doctor to increase your dose look up Effexor discontinuation syndrome. I wish I knew about it before I started. Good luck!

WildcatVet 9 Jul 2018

" Whether or not higher doses of Effexor XR are needed for more severely depressed patients is unknown; however, the experience with Effexor XR doses higher than 225 mg per day is very limited."

MuseMyself 10 Jul 2018

I was on Effexor & Effexor XR for years. My Dr. had me passed the max dose at one time. It can cause serotonin syndrome... I was on 450mg when, 300mg is the actual max dose I was on for years.
It was the most difficult to discontinue especially, at a very high dosage & after, being on it for many years. I personally, had a very bad experience with Effexor-mentally & Physically.
Please, be careful... take care!

Tymwalker 19 Oct 2018

May I ask what you switched to? This drug is working for my mood but the physical side effects are too much to take for a long time.

MuseMyself 19 Oct 2018

I have stopped antidepressants completely for over a year now. I didn’t do well on any I have tried. The meds I have tried- the list is very long... I was depressed on antidepressants. Once, I stopped taking them. I am no longer depressed.
It’s all individualized. What may work for one person doesn’t for another. My friend finds cymbalta to help her after, having a very negative reaction to Effexor. My other friend who suffers from depression and panic attacks feels best on remeron. I have had negative & worsening symptoms on all I have tried besides remeron. I just felt like I had the flu. It’s a rare side effect. I wasn’t on it long enough to tell you the true affect of the medication... but, I can tell you I was a lot calmer and able to sleep at the time.
Effexor was the most difficult to discontinue out of all I have been on in my life. I agree there!