Does effexor cause shortness of breath?

Inactive 5 Sep 2013

Hello drbenbarnard. No, not to my knowledge. However if you believe that it might be the cause, ( it possibly might very well be a severe reaction) please see your prescribing physician. Regards pledge

Kitty 5 Sep 2013

I've not had that experience with Effexor. Are you sure it's not anxiety? Judy

endlessPred 5 Sep 2013

Chest X-ray may show proper information including an undiscovered lung disease or pneumonia. Anxiety, as stated, or panic attacks can do this.

According to information on the drug, it is a very rare side effect. Either way see a physician to find the reason.

Whitecd39 5 Sep 2013

I've been on Effexor 15mg for almost a year. I haven't experienced shortness of breath. I hope this helps you.

Whitecd39 5 Sep 2013

I meant to type 150 mg daily

Pansy404 6 Sep 2013

I have been on 150mg of Effexor XR for years and have never experienced shortness of breath.

It may be that you are experiencing a rare side effect of the medication. To put your mind at rest you must see a doctor, only they can advise what is causing your problem.

Let us know how you get on.

Ozzer 25 Jan 2017

I'm on effexor and I have trouble breathing constantly. I went to my doctor, thinking it was asthma, but they told me it was probably just anxiety (though I'm skeptical). It constantly feels like there's a weight on my chest, or like my lungs just aren't big enough to take in the nessesary amount of air. It gets espically bad in high humidity and its progressed to the point where I can no longer take warm showers because I'm constantly afraid I'll suffocate, or pass out and bash my skull in on the bathroom tile.
I did some reading on other forums and apparently other effexor users (and users of other antidepressants) have had strickingly similar issues.

schoile 9 Mar 2018

Yeah i have had the sensation of not being able to get enough air into my lungs and i wondered if i was developing asthma. I have come across research papers linking venlafaxine to interstitial lung disease. I used to be on effexor xl and did not seem to have any problems with the sensation in my lungs but they have changed me to vensir xl - a cheaper generic version. Iam gradually reducing my prescription of vensir xl and I have noticed that the restricted feeling in my lungs has definitely reduced and i am not having as many episodes of restless leg. I have not gone to the doctor as i know she will more than likely tell me it is anxiety and they are not happy about moving me back to effexor as it is more expensive.

Hunta 17 May 2018

My Dr. put me on effexor to help with pain and depression. He started me out on 35mg and when it didn't work he increased it to 75mg. I told him that I was having night sweats, dry mouth trouble sleeping and "brain zaps" near the time of my next dose. I also told him that after starting effexor that I had trouble breathing, it felt like someone had put bricks on my chest or was trying to suffocate me. He made it seem like it wasn't the effexor and something was wrong with me. That's why he wanted to increase the dose for "my best interests" , so I listened to him and he increased my dose to 150mg his goal was to increase it to 300 mg. I couldn't handle the 150mg, my SOB got worse till I could barely walk anywhere. I would pass out and my husband would frantically try to wake me up. I told my Dr my symptoms and he told me that he didn't think it was the effexor and he wanted to keep increasing my dose.

Skydancer1962 7 Jun 2017

I experienced every single complication you mentioned and Effexor 75mg ER 2xx per day is only one of two "new" meds I was prescribed in the last 3 months. Otherwise, I'm only taking a b/p med and prilosec that I've been on for years.

The other med was a blood thinner after recent surgery, ClopidigreI. I was so was so desperate, that while my doctor was sure it wasn't either, I went off both of them one week at a time. I stopped the blood thinner the first week and continued the Effexor. No change. So I resumed taking the blood thinner the second week and stopped the Effexor. I was immediately better the week I was off the Effexor. I mean, by the next morning I noticed a difference, and 2 days later I was symptom free.