Hi all. Shortness of breath is my main complaint with anxiety. Do meds help with this symptom?

onceateacher 6 Apr 2013

Had that just this morning. Unfortunately not unusual for me (though it's only a couple times a week now), I end up taking a xanax. Not the best way to handle this, but it's all that has worked for me. I'm hoping someone out there will have an answer that might work for both of us and anyone else who is dealing with it. Hang in there.

sweeney01 6 Apr 2013

Thanks for your response! I have done Xanax as well. It truly did help me as well. I was diagnosed with asthma at first but all the asthma meds did was jack up my anxiety even more. I do not wheeze or cough and the SOB gets BETTER with exercise- not worse. All other docs say it's not asthma-only the pulmonologist thinks it is. I also have really tight neck muscles from what I suspect is incorrect breathing. I have just started Buspar. Will let you know how that works. Hang in there.

Dumpster Diver 9 Apr 2013

Dear sweeney, I do think my Klonopin helps me with my shortness of breath.
It is really noticeable if i am forced to go without, I can hardly breathe...
But of course my smoking does not help... D-Squared*

butterflylynn 9 Apr 2013

Sweeney,
Shortness of breath is Very common with anxiety.
And the more anxious you are the harder it is to breath. That is usually how a Panic attack starts & your breathing becomes more rapid.

How often are you getting short of breath ? Also have you spoken to your Dr..about this yet?
Xanax is a good medication that works fast for panic attacks. But if you are having shortness of breath alot then your Dr. will put you on a extended release med.

pickles503 10 Apr 2013

Hi sweeney. I have the same problem. I take Klonopin and Lamictal and Gabapentin for anxiety. As soon as I realize I'm having anxiety, I take what my doc prescribed, which is Gab and Klonopin.
Anxiety is horrible. For me it leads into a panic attack. So, I have to catch it before it gets worse.
Please talk to your doc about this. There's lots of meds to take for anxiety. He/she will lead you right to the med you need for anxiety.
I'm here if you want to talk more. I think we're friends. If not, friend me, then we can have private conversations.
May peace be with you,
Anna

sweeney01 10 Apr 2013

Thank you Anna. I have done Klonopin and Xanax before but am afraid to get back on them and get hooked. I was hoping SSRI's would help without the need for benzos. Do you have any success with Benzos? Thank u so much for being here.

sweeney01 10 Apr 2013

Oops I messed up. I meant to say do you have any success withOUT benzos-meaning JUST an SSRI?

pickles503 10 Apr 2013

Hi again sweeney. I forgot about your having shortness of breath. That sounds more like a panic attack. You really need to talk to you doc. This can be avoided with the right med.
Peace, hope and Love,
Anna

Anonymous 10 Apr 2013

Panic attacks are awful. You really don't know when they are coming on. All of a sudden, you feel scared, frightened and all alone. You feel as though something bad is about to happen. I know xanax helps me. Sometimes, I can feel them coming on. I get this scared feeling. I then take a xanax and it helps. When you first notice the feelings, pls take your meds for anxiety. It does keep it from coming full force. God bless. You are not alone.

pickles503 10 Apr 2013

SSRI's (Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) SSRIs are the first choice of depression selected by health care professionals for the treatment of depression or anxiety. Commonly prescribed SSRIs include the following:

Fluoxetine (Prozac)
Sertraline (Zoloft)
Paroxetine (Paxil)
Escitalopram (Lexapro)
Fluvoxamine (Luvox)
Citalopram (Celexa)

These are examples of benzos:

Helex, Xanax, Xanor, Onax, Alprox, Restyl, Tafil, Paxa
Benzodiazepine
Diazepam (Valium)
Alprazolam (Xanax)
Lorazepam (Ativan)
Clonazepam (Klonopin)

i think we benefit from these meds for anxiety and panic attacks.
Be sure to talk to you doc, Sweeney.
Peace be with you,
Anna

livefreeordie98 10 Oct 2013

I suffered severely from shortness of breath. It was a spiral effect from anxiety/panic attacks. I didn't want to face this fact, but it got worse and worse. I would be so afraid I wouldn't be able to breathe that it brought on a panic attack and I couldn't breathe... like a merry go round. I am on Xanax and it really works well for me.
I have CHF too, but that causes shortness of breath, not a quick shut down of breathing like anxiety/panic attacks do.
Hope this helps someone. I didn't want to take any medication, but it was unbearable. If it works, don't fix it.

pickles503 11 Oct 2013

Hi again Sweeney.
It's amazing, but I know when a panic attack is coming on, so I take meds right away when I feel it. It takes a few minutes, but it makes a world of difference. I know it must be difficult. Try to keep your senses keen. Do the deep breathing excerersing you've done a million times before. If you don't know what they are, let us know. What were you doing when the panic attack started coming on? That makes all the difference in the world. I get them when I have to go somewhere or I'm having a difference with someone and I get very upset. Try, for us, to let us know if you can recognize what may be to cause panic attacks coming on. Thank you. May you have faith, hope and love, Anna