I downloaded it so I could check over the counter drugs for any interactions. Like my son (age 9) takes xyzal for allergies. Can he take dimetapp cold and cough as well to help with day time symptoms. It keeps showing me interactions with other drugs that have nothing to do with the ones I entered.
How to use the drug interactions on this app?
Question posted by SaHaTa06 on 13 Oct 2020
Last updated on 12 October 2020 by JemmaCS
Dimetapp is a combination formulation, so the interactions checker will give you results based on the individual components of that particular Dimetapp formulation. Dimetapp Children's Cold & Cough contains a combination of brompheniramine, dextromethorphan, and phenylephrine and Xyzal is a brand name for levocetirizine.
The results you will get from the interactions checker will be based on the ingredients. If you enter:
- Dimetapp Children's Cold & Cough
Then push check for interactions you will get the following results:
- Dextromethorphan/brompheniramine: Both these ingredients are in Dimetapp. Dextromethorphan stops coughing and brompheniramine is an antihistamine. There is a risk of side effects such as drowsiness and confusion when these are taken together.
- Brompheniramine/levocetirizine: Both these ingredients are antihistamines so your son doesn’t need both of them. Otherwise he is more likely to develop side effects such as dizziness and drowsiness.
- Brompheniramine/food: Alcohol may increase risk of sedation
- Levocetirizine/food: Alcohol may increase risk of sedation
- Therapeutic duplication warning: antihistamines: Both Dimetapp and Xyzal contain an antihistamine, so you don’t need to give your son Xyzal while he is taking Dimetapp otherwise he may develop side effects from the antihistamine
So from your results, if you want to give your son the Dimetapp for a cold and cough, then you do not need to give him Xyzal at the same time, otherwise you end up giving him two types of antihistamine.
xyzal, allergies, cough, interaction, drug interaction, symptom, drug
- Xyzal uses and safety info
- Xyzal information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side effects of Xyzal (detailed)
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.