Does prednisone make you tired or sleepy?

Anonymous 22 Apr 2011

No it does not, people have trouble sleeping while on prednisone. But not all organisms react in the same way to medications (benefits, side effects, etc... )

https://www.drugs.com/sfx/prednisone-side-effects.html

Do contact your Dr. and discuss this further due to that a common side effect of this medication which is "Difficulty sleeping".-

Take care.-

bipolar4life 24 Apr 2011

(maso) is right no tiredness but you do get very very hungry watch your weight gain cause my dad is on it and ever since then he is eating so much
lolove janymak

hope 0131 1 Nov 2014

I took prednisone this morning, my first time ever (10mg). due to major facial pain/swelling supposedly brought on by sinus infection. I also have sarcoidosis so this may be exacerbating my symptoms. Immediately after taking it, I was ready to crash and I went back to bed for some much needed rest. Allergy medications have the same effect on me... so prednisone may make you sleepy as well, despite the cautions of sleeplessness as a side effect.

bretbierle 4 Sep 2016

I am currently on Prednisone for poison ivy. I was proscribed 30mg for three days then 20mg for 3 days then 10MG for three days. I am absolutely not functioning on this medication. I slept 11 hours last night. Got up took my Prednisone within an hour I was ready to go back to sleep. I slept all day I just finished diner here and I'm probably going back to sleep. For me. Yes Prednisone makes me Very Very tired. More than benadryl.

bretbierle 4 Sep 2016

P.so. this was my third day of the 30mg dose. All three days I had this affect. Work was not easy on this medication. Thank god today was Saturday so I could get some much needed rest.

Firefly038 16 days ago

I just started a 12-day course of prednisone for poison ivy as well: 60mg for 3 days, 40 mg for 3 days, 20 mgs for 3 days, then 10 mg for 3 days. I'm two days into the 60mg phase and finding myself dragging all day long as well. SO very tired. I'm not taking any allergy meds for the itch, just wiping down with isopropyl alchohol in the mornings and following that with tea tree oil, then wearing long sleeves after everything dries. Keeps the itch down for several hours without the added loopiness of allergy meds. That's why I'm surprised the prednisone is what's making me so tired. It has to be that. And I haven't been overly hungry, either. People can handle meds so differently from each other. Just because the majority gets insomnia and hunger doesn't mean all will. I do have thyroid issues (or lack of a thyroid) so I suppose that could play into all of this though my meds have been on target there for many, many months.

Barkingkitty 27 Dec 2016

I'm currently on a course of Prednisone to treat sciatica, and I'm having a hard time staying away for more than 3-4 hours at a time. I'm on vacation this week so I'm napping several times a day, but wouldn't be able to take this during a normal work week, just cannot stay awake long enough to function normally.

Aleema 1 Mar 2017

On prednisone i felt on a high and had insomnia, the sleepyness and extreme fatique happened after my course had finished, then reoccuring chest infections, muscle pain, lethargic... this drug is lethal... i have to go back on them at a high dose to clear up chest infections that dont respond to antibiotics... its a vicious cycle... now im on 5mg per day just to stop the joint aches from crippling me.

FloridaClay 12 Jul 2017

I am taking Prednisone for PMR, 3 mg per day. I noticed rather quickly that my sleep improved dramatically. I attributed this to the fact that, thanks to the Pred, I was no longer in pain with body movements. However lately I have been sleeping longer and longer at times--8 1/2 hours last night--and this afternoon while working on my computer I got sleepy and took a half hour nap. Not due to food as I'd had a very light lunch.

Jblackstorm 19 days ago

Does predisone make me sleepy and or tired?

ChelleKay 19 days ago

For most people this is not the case. Prednisone works with the adrenaline system therefore for most people they are more edgy, have a hard time sitting still and difficulty sleeping. Some will gain weight and or have a swollen face often referred to as "moon face due to fluid retention. These symtoms are usually for people who gave been on it a while. A 5-7 day z pack will not cause these problems. Most will either have no trouble sleeping or will not be able to sleep or fall asleep easily. I have read that, for long term use, it has a stimulant effect, I have been on it for the better part of 30 yrs and sleep has always been hard to get.