Does prednisone make you tired or sleepy?

Inactive 22 Apr 2011

No it does not, people have trouble sleeping while on prednisone. But not all organisms react in the same way to medications (benefits, side effects, etc... )

https://www.drugs.com/sfx/prednisone-side-effects.html

Do contact your Dr. and discuss this further due to that a common side effect of this medication which is "Difficulty sleeping".-

Take care.-

bipolar4life 24 Apr 2011

(maso) is right no tiredness but you do get very very hungry watch your weight gain cause my dad is on it and ever since then he is eating so much
lolove janymak

hope 0131 1 Nov 2014

I took prednisone this morning, my first time ever (10mg). due to major facial pain/swelling supposedly brought on by sinus infection. I also have sarcoidosis so this may be exacerbating my symptoms. Immediately after taking it, I was ready to crash and I went back to bed for some much needed rest. Allergy medications have the same effect on me... so prednisone may make you sleepy as well, despite the cautions of sleeplessness as a side effect.

bretbierle 4 Sep 2016

I am currently on Prednisone for poison ivy. I was proscribed 30mg for three days then 20mg for 3 days then 10MG for three days. I am absolutely not functioning on this medication. I slept 11 hours last night. Got up took my Prednisone within an hour I was ready to go back to sleep. I slept all day I just finished diner here and I'm probably going back to sleep. For me. Yes Prednisone makes me Very Very tired. More than benadryl.

bretbierle 4 Sep 2016

P.so. this was my third day of the 30mg dose. All three days I had this affect. Work was not easy on this medication. Thank god today was Saturday so I could get some much needed rest.

Firefly038 2 Aug 2017

I just started a 12-day course of prednisone for poison ivy as well: 60mg for 3 days, 40 mg for 3 days, 20 mgs for 3 days, then 10 mg for 3 days. I'm two days into the 60mg phase and finding myself dragging all day long as well. SO very tired. I'm not taking any allergy meds for the itch, just wiping down with isopropyl alchohol in the mornings and following that with tea tree oil, then wearing long sleeves after everything dries. Keeps the itch down for several hours without the added loopiness of allergy meds. That's why I'm surprised the prednisone is what's making me so tired. It has to be that. And I haven't been overly hungry, either. People can handle meds so differently from each other. Just because the majority gets insomnia and hunger doesn't mean all will. I do have thyroid issues (or lack of a thyroid) so I suppose that could play into all of this though my meds have been on target there for many, many months.

Barkingkitty 27 Dec 2016

I'm currently on a course of Prednisone to treat sciatica, and I'm having a hard time staying away for more than 3-4 hours at a time. I'm on vacation this week so I'm napping several times a day, but wouldn't be able to take this during a normal work week, just cannot stay awake long enough to function normally.

Aleema 1 Mar 2017

On prednisone i felt on a high and had insomnia, the sleepyness and extreme fatique happened after my course had finished, then reoccuring chest infections, muscle pain, lethargic... this drug is lethal... i have to go back on them at a high dose to clear up chest infections that dont respond to antibiotics... its a vicious cycle... now im on 5mg per day just to stop the joint aches from crippling me.

gogirl19 20 Dec 2017

My (eyes & ears) pricked up when I read your post. I was on a high dose of prednisone for about 6wks for liver inflammation and was tapered off. As soon as I fully stopped the medication my feet started to really ache, then I could feel the aches move up my limbs week to week until it was in every joint of my body. I became extremely crippled with the pain like I was 90yrs old with bone disease. My specialist chopped and changed my regular meds to see if this was aggrevating my symptoms, but not an ounce of improvement (got worse). Finally he suggested I go back and try the prednisone as this was the only other factor we changed. My pain comes and goes but in no way as it was. At least I can now walk and kneel as I am a fairly active girl. Are you aware of any other meds beside prednisone that will cease the joint pain? I really don't want to be on this drug due to the other side effects. I am taking a joint pain/repair supplement now as well.

FloridaClay 12 Jul 2017

I am taking Prednisone for PMR, 3 mg per day. I noticed rather quickly that my sleep improved dramatically. I attributed this to the fact that, thanks to the Pred, I was no longer in pain with body movements. However lately I have been sleeping longer and longer at times--8 1/2 hours last night--and this afternoon while working on my computer I got sleepy and took a half hour nap. Not due to food as I'd had a very light lunch.

Jblackstorm 30 Jul 2017

Does predisone make me sleepy and or tired?

ChelleKay 30 Jul 2017

For most people this is not the case. Prednisone works with the adrenaline system therefore for most people they are more edgy, have a hard time sitting still and difficulty sleeping. Some will gain weight and or have a swollen face often referred to as "moon face due to fluid retention. These symtoms are usually for people who gave been on it a while. A 5-7 day z pack will not cause these problems. Most will either have no trouble sleeping or will not be able to sleep or fall asleep easily. I have read that, for long term use, it has a stimulant effect, I have been on it for the better part of 30 yrs and sleep has always been hard to get.

Barraviola 21 Aug 2017

I googled this subject because I have just taken prednisolone (for a skin rash) for the second time, and as last time it has wiped me out and I had to go to bed. Clearly not all bodies react in the same way - I'm relieved to find I'm not the only one!

Gspellmann 7 Sep 2017

I took Prednisone for the first time about 45 mins ago and I'm having trouble keeping my eyes open. I'm thinking I should avoid taking it before driving in the morning but it's unfortunate to have to miss a dose.

Matty2018 29 Dec 2017

Yes, I am on a round of prednisone now for severe asthma (exasperated) 40mg for a few days, 30 for a few, 20 on so on. I was nervous because my friend said it made his heart race. And the doctor told me to watch the carbs because of weight gain. Today is my first dose and I am tired and loopy, heart rates fine, no sweating etc... I guess everyone's body reacts different.

momof3nfl 24 Jan 2018

OMG!!! This stuff is kicking my butt!!! I almost just nose dived into my keyboard at work!!!
I feel like someone gave me a sedative. If I start drooling on myself, I am done...

Patsy_P 16 Feb 2018

I took one 20 mg prednisone today. First one for sciatica. Knocked me out. Couldn't keep my eyes open. Didn't expect that affect at all.

Canygirl61 7 Feb 2018

Six days ago, I started a very low dose of prednisone (2.5mg), for undetermined autoimmune disease. There have been several times in the past, where I've taken a taper-pack, which I tolerated quite well. This low does is making me feel very peculiar-- spaced out and kinda tired, as if I'm my brain can't make decisions.

HST 19 days ago

I have been on prednisone for adrenal insufficiency since January of 2018. I am exhausted. The more I take, the worse it gets so I have to say, it gets old hearing that it is not the prednisone that is doing it. Sure it is. I do not even feel this tired without it. It's crazy how tired I am. All I keep hearing regarding the adrenal insufficiency is, you are not on enough. The higher the dose, the worse I feel, so I disagree. I am indoors sleeping due to prednisone.

I am exhausted on it and like someone else said, I can't make decisions or think. It's like an anesthesia type feeling. It's awful.

I don't know why people say, it can't be the prednisone. Sure it can!

Charmk56 19 days ago

I have been on prednisone for about 3 years, different doses, and now on 20 mg. Sooner or later this drug will affect the adrenal glands. I've experienced every side effect this drug has. Hair loss, moon face, etc. But the worst is the pain and swelling while weaning off. I've been in the hospital so many times telling them It's the prednisone but they ignored me. I'm weaning off myself and I hope your side effects go away soon. I will never take it again. I don't know if all the side effects will go away, ever.
So wean off if you can. There has to be another way.

HST 19 days ago

I am so sorry. I also had hair loss from prednisone. I mean, like so much. I thought it was my thyroid but my thyroid numbers were great. I think prednisone is making me exhausted. Also, medrol made me psycho. When you have adrenal insufficiency you are supposed to be on steroids, but... how? The side effects are insane or make you that way.