I used capsaicin 0.15% for arthritis pain and having SEVERE burning. what do I do to relieve the pa?

StarGlitter 5 Feb 2016

Bribri, call the pharmacist and see if the burning is a side effect from the medication. If it is, and the burning is intolerable, then stop the medication and call your physician. Let us know how you are, and good luck! StarGlitter

masso 5 Feb 2016

HI,
Wash the skin and get medical attention right away if you have severe burning, pain, swelling, or blistering of the skin where you applied this medication.

https://www.drugs.com/mtm/capsaicin-topical.html

Thor283 6 Feb 2016

Capsaicin is made from red pepper which is probably why your skin felt burning. Most people don't, but some do and that includes me. I find products with Lidocaine work best for me. There's a great patch called Lidoderm. You need a script and a good pharmacy insurance plan. I use these Lidoderm patches for all kinds of pain and without them I'd be living on Tylenol. But even Tylenol doesn't help these foot cramps I get while sleeping. Nothing does except Lidoderm, so ask your doc about them. Also ask if he has samples, many pain specialists do.

DancnDar 8 Feb 2016

I use a lidocaine ointment which comes in generic. It's a lot cheaper than the lidoderm patches.

srandjlsims 6 Feb 2016

If you are "feeling" the burning only, just wash it off. If you are actually burning, get to the Doc and never use it again. Capsaicin is the active ingredient in hot red peppers. I stopped using it because it was so uncomfortable, the burning. I now use Aspercreme with Lidocaine, tons better.

Aces88TX 7 Feb 2016

Bribri1986,
2 words - VEGETABLE OIL!
First, I'm so sorry to hear this happened to you also. It's been about 2yrs now since it happened to me. I get very painful, severe stress knots in my shoulders and neck, which turn into migraines. So I was trying everything! I watched Dr. Oz one day & a guest dr recommended it for arthritis and muscle pain. I went out & got it ASAP so I'd have it on hand.
Soon after I woke up one morning at 5 a.m. in pain again. I put it on my neck & shoulders. I also put a little on my knee that has arthritis & hurts daily. Washed my hands really well, took a couple Tylenol, ate a piece of toast. Just waiting to get a little relief. Finally went back and laid down hoping to fall asleep to get relief.