Can lyrica & gabapentin be taken together or are they similiar medications?

Rajive Goel 25 Jun 2011

gabapentin ↔ pregabalin

MONITOR: Central nervous system- and/or respiratory-depressant effects may be additively or synergistically increased in patients taking multiple drugs that cause these effects, especially in elderly or debilitated patients.

MANAGEMENT: During concomitant use of these drugs, patients should be monitored for potentially excessive or prolonged CNS and respiratory depression. Ambulatory patients should be counseled to avoid hazardous activities requiring mental alertness and motor coordination until they know how these agents affect them, and to notify their physician if they experience excessive or prolonged CNS effects that interfere with their normal activities.

ElizaJane23 25 Jun 2011

No, you cannot take them together as they are the same medication.

ElizaJane23 25 Jun 2011

Sorry - very similar medication (wrote that when I was very sleepy). Gabapentin (Neurontin) was a precursor to Lyrics and tended to have more side effects. It is much cheaper than Lyrica - many insurance companies insist their patients try it first or pay a higher copay for the Lyrica.

2bitnickle 1 May 2015

I've taken Gabapentin for years and finally convinced my doctor to give me Lyrica. They do both work for some people. I know they are similar. I am amazed with Lyrica. It takes the pins and needles out almost completely. Gabapentin took the sharp hot needles that would go through my toes. It did NOTHING for the pins and needles. I've thought all this time that my doctor was giving me good attention. But with Lyrica I still get occasional the hot spikes through my toes. Does anyone have an idea?

ABCDEFI234 13 Oct 2016

I have body weakness an d memory loss too.

vonnielynn 7 Aug 2017

yes i think they can be taken together because they affect different nerves.

DirtyRedd44 19 Mar 2018

Yes they can... although they are similar and used to treat the same illnesses, Lyrica is stronger and it stops the excruciating pain while gabapentin stops the lessor pains. I take them both and it gives me total relief.

Budgielover 31 Mar 2018

How many Mg's of gabapentin do you take a day? And pregabalin?

Kristopher8 4 hours 3 minutes ago

I am a sci patient & I take both and get total relief