Can lyrica & gabapentin be taken together or are they similiar medications?

gabapentin ↔ pregabalin

MONITOR: Central nervous system- and/or respiratory-depressant effects may be additively or synergistically increased in patients taking multiple drugs that cause these effects, especially in elderly or debilitated patients.

MANAGEMENT: During concomitant use of these drugs, patients should be monitored for potentially excessive or prolonged CNS and respiratory depression. Ambulatory patients should be counseled to avoid hazardous activities requiring mental alertness and motor coordination until they know how these agents affect them, and to notify their physician if they experience excessive or prolonged CNS effects that interfere with their normal activities.

No, you cannot take them together as they are the same medication.

ElizaJane23 25 Jun 2011

Sorry - very similar medication (wrote that when I was very sleepy). Gabapentin (Neurontin) was a precursor to Lyrics and tended to have more side effects. It is much cheaper than Lyrica - many insurance companies insist their patients try it first or pay a higher copay for the Lyrica.

2bitnickle 1 May 2015

I've taken Gabapentin for years and finally convinced my doctor to give me Lyrica. They do both work for some people. I know they are similar. I am amazed with Lyrica. It takes the pins and needles out almost completely. Gabapentin took the sharp hot needles that would go through my toes. It did NOTHING for the pins and needles. I've thought all this time that my doctor was giving me good attention. But with Lyrica I still get occasional the hot spikes through my toes. Does anyone have an idea?

ElizaJane23 2 May 2015

No, I don't. Sorry. This question is very old - 2011. I recommend you start a new question - that way it will be seen and you'll get some answers. ElizaJane23