Can Ativan help with Effexor withdrawal?

chuck1957 25 Mar 2017

CareBear34; yes it is possible that this Ativan could help you some with the Effexor withdrawals but at the same time you should be tapering down on the Effexor while taking the Ativan to help calm down your system. But there really is no sure way of getting off the Effexor without the doctors help and having the doctor give you a list of how much Effexor to go down each drop. Do not just stop the Effexor without tapering it down or you well go through some major side effects and withdrawals even if you're taking the Ativan tablets. hope this well help you some. Any more questions please let us know with another post and myself or someone else well gets back to you. have a good night.

chuck1957 25 Mar 2017

CareBear34; I just noticed that you have a note above talking about VERTIGO one thing for sure the Ativan well help with that or ringing in the ears etc. good luck to you all well work out. Stay Positive.

CareBear34 25 Mar 2017

Hi chuck1957, that kind you so much for responding to my question. I'm having a horrible time trying to get through Effexor withdrawals. I put up a different post prior to this one, but the wasn't approved (not sure why).
Anyways, here's the scoop. My psychiatrist was tapering me off the Effexor. I told her that I wanted to go off of it because I was having bad side effects from it. I had been on it for 6 months, and also on Wellbutrin XL for a few years. My psychiatrist said if I wanted to I could try going off the Effexor and seeing if the Wellbutrin would be enough for me. I agreed to try.

chuck1957 25 Mar 2017

Carebear34; I feel so bad for you, And you are right I have heard from many posters that Prozac does help them ease the withdrawal of the Effexor. It is a fantastic medication for those that it works for.I really am not too pleased with your doctor and being in the profession she is in and how some get very upset someone should be around on the weekend. You know if Advil does not bother your tummy that also may be worth a try I don't quite understand but many also say Ibuprofen has helped them with the withdrawals of the Effexor. ARE YOU TAKING ANY OF THE EFFEXOR AT ALL NOW OR DID YOU JUST STOP IT. BECAUSE THERE ARE BETTER WAS TO COME OFF OF IT. bUT REALLY YOU NEED TO GET THE DOCTOR TO GIVE YOU A WRITTEN LIST OF HOW TO DO IT. iF YOU DO HAVE A GOOD STOMACH AND DECIDE TO TRY THE ibuprofen make sure you take it with a full glass of water or a snack.

ahyperdoc 28 Mar 2017

Hey CareBear. While lorazepam (Ativan) and other benzodiazepines can reduce the anxiety and general "heeby jeeby" feelings associated with withdrawal from Effexor, it also can have a rebound effect when it comes to vertigo and hence may actually accentuate the feeling of dizziness and/or nauseousness. Not to scare you from using Ativan altogether just use with caution. The other quite bothersome symptoms of Effexor withdrawal tend to be neurologic in nature and include visual auras, seeing spots; the (perceived) loss of peripheral sight and also--one that I personally experienced--a feeling or sound like a minor electric shock within the head upon moving the eyes from side-to-side. Sadly, benzos such as Ativan have little to NO palliative effect on these type of withdrawal symptoms. The best way to go about weeing off of Effexor with the least amount of side-effects--in my personal and professional opinion--is to do a slow, extended taper off of the medication; titrating down the dose in very small increments. The take home is that although Ativan may provide some relief from your withdrawal symptoms, it can be tricky and may actually exacerbate some of them. I suggest only using it as a minor adjunct and ONLY under the supervision of an experienced doctor/therapist/clinician. I hope you feel better soon, CareBear34. Hang in there. As always, my best to you. >> RAY.