... prescribes is helping. Not even the pain pills. My knee is swollen and the pain in my foot is no joke. Does anyone know something I can take or do for this gout? Need help. Knee is swollen and foot doctor prescribed me indomethcin 25mg which is not helping the pain at all.
Gout is a painful disease.
Is this your first attack?
Do your doctor talk about prevention?
The goal of treatment for gout is to treat the attack and prevent further attacks.
Did you know gout used to be called "The Rich Man's Disease".
There is a good reason for this name.
Foods that you NEED to avoid :
Shellfish and organ meat. Alcohol especially beer. Weight loss if you are overweight.
Do you see where it got its name? The people that were eating expensively and indulging plus being overweight.
They were usually people that had a good lifestyle.
Back to business :
Gout is a form of arthritis and affects men more than woman with a genetic component.
Crystals form from the high uric acid levels.
The treatment varies depending on if it's new to you or has become chronic.
It IS important, not only for pain purposes, to get your uric acid level down. It can cause damage to various organs with uncontrolled frequent attacks.
- Indocin is a good drug of choice for pain because it's an NSAID.
- Make shure you have something in your stomach because this is irritating to your lining.
- Keep the extremity elevated and with ice on it.
- Lose weight if it's an issue.
- Avoid alcohol especially beer.
- Stick to your diet : no shellfish, no organ meat like liver.
- Ask your doctor about Colchicine. It's a drug specifically gout to decrease the uric acid.
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.
Posted 17 Aug 2011 • 1 answer
Posted 3 Jun 2013 • 1 answer
Posted 6 Sep 2013 • 2 answers
Posted 24 Aug 2015 • 0 answers
Posted 27 Nov 2015 • 1 answer