5-HTP - Is 5HTP and Citalopram compatable?

Anonymous 13 Aug 2010

Hello, the warning is major..meaning combining both of them is dangerous.

Interactions between your selected drugs

citalopram ↔ 5-hydroxytryptophan
Applies to: citalopram, 5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan)
GENERALLY AVOID: Concomitant use of agents with serotonergic activity such as serotonin reuptake inhibitors and tryptophan may potentiate the risk of serotonin syndrome, which is a rare but serious and potentially fatal condition thought to result from hyperstimulation of brainstem 5-HT1A and 2A receptors. Symptoms of the serotonin syndrome may include mental status changes such as irritability, altered consciousness, confusion, hallucinations, and coma; autonomic dysfunction such as tachycardia, hyperthermia, diaphoresis, shivering, blood pressure lability, and mydriasis; neuromuscular abnormalities such as hyperreflexia, myoclonus, tremor, rigidity, and ataxia; and gastrointestinal symptoms such as abdominal cramping, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.

MANAGEMENT: The concomitant use of serotonin reuptake inhibitors and tryptophan should be avoided.

Take care.-

Read more:,1-10727#ixzz0wVfWa8ic

Sacosam 15 Aug 2010

maso4169 is 110% right as well as being real high tech !
Hi maso. how are things with you?
Sacosam I am

Anonymous 15 Aug 2010

Hey good to hear from you my freind I am ok and you. I will send you a PM 2morrow ok.-