Pronunciation: try-meth-oh-BEN-zuh-mide HIGH-droe-KLOR-ide
- Capsules 300 mg
- Injection 100 mg/mL
Believed to directly affect medullary chemoreceptor trigger zone to inhibit nausea.
Following IM administration, T max is 30 min. After PO administration T max is 45 min. 300 mg oral capsules are equivalent to 200 mg IM. The bioavailability of the capsule formulation compared with the solution is 100%.
Trimethobenzamide t ½ is 7 to 9 h.
Indications and Usage
Prevention and treatment of nausea and vomiting.
Hypersensitivity to benzocaine or other local anesthetics. Suppositories contraindicated in newborns or premature infants; parenteral use contraindicated in children.
Dosage and AdministrationAdults
PO 250 mg 3 to 4 times daily. PR 200 mg 3 to 4 times daily. IM 200 mg 3 to 4 times daily.Children 14 to 41 kg
PO 100 to 200 mg 3 to 4 times daily. PR 100 to 200 mg 3 to 4 times daily.Children under 14 kg
PR 100 mg 3 to 4 times daily.
- Do not use oral route with vomiting.
- Use Z-track technique for IM administration.
Avoid exposure to light; store at room temperature. Avoid freezing injectable.
None well documented.
Laboratory Test Interactions
None well documented.
Hypotension (after injection).
Mood depression; disorientation; headache; drowsiness; opisthotonos; dizziness; seizures; coma; Parkinson-like symptoms.
Local pain, burning, stinging, redness and swelling (after injection); hypersensitivity reactions; muscle cramps.
Safety not established.
Has been reported; discontinue use of drug at first signs of sensitivity.
- Instruct patient that when used for motion sickness, medication should be taken 30 min before exposure to motion.
- Advise patient to report these symptoms to health care provider: dizziness, yellowing of skin or eyes, muscle cramps, abnormal movements.
- Instruct patient to avoid intake of alcoholic beverages or other CNS depressants.
- Advise patient that drug may cause drowsiness or dizziness and to use caution while driving or performing tasks requiring mental alertness.
Copyright © 2009 Wolters Kluwer Health.
More Trimethobenzamide Hydrochloride resources
- Trimethobenzamide Hydrochloride Monograph (AHFS DI)
- Trimethobenzamide Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Benzacot Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Tigan Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Tigan MedFacts Consumer Leaflet (Wolters Kluwer)
- Tigan Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Tigan Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)