User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Sertraline review summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 27 medications used in the treatment of Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder

Review by 413:

Zoloft (sertraline): I have been diagnosed with severe PMDD since the birth of my last child 4 years ago. I had her late in life (at 40) so the symptoms were confusing, PMS/Peri-Menopausal..combo of both. Either way I was ready to check into a funny farm and was in constant jeopardy of losing my job due to not being able to work 2-3 days a month or if I did manage to drag myself in I was unbearable to be around. I tried Prozac and initially helped but after 2-3 months of that I became manic and was worse. My OB suggested Zoloft and I reluctantly tried it as the next option was for hysterectomy because I cannot be on birth control pills. Zoloft helps at least for some of the worse symptoms!

February 8, 2014 8:48 AM

Review by Margey123 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I mostly used this medication for my anxiety disorder of obsessive compulsive disorder. I also used it for PMDD. It worked wonders for my anxiety. It also lessened my PMDD symptoms of strong irritability, sadness, and anger before my period. I loved it! The only downside was that it made me very tired, even on only 50mg. I didn't have much energy to workout. This made me gain 5 pounds and I eventually got off it because I love being an active person.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 10, 2014 2:44 PM

Review by Hopeful Again (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft (sertraline): I started Zoloft in July. I never wanted to be on medication this was my last resort. I was a wreck mentally. I was only stable the week after my period, I would get very moody. My moods range from depression to panic attacks and so forth. The first 3 days were the hardest, the medicine seemed to make my symptoms worse than after about day 5 I felt the medicine start to do the opposite effect and I was more at ease. I am completing my fifth month on Zoloft and I am sure glad I started it. I am back to my old self but I'm not zoned out. I still have my real emotions, I'm just not as touchy as I was before Zoloft. I can get through the little things without having a mental breakdown.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 12, 2013 4:20 PM

Review by goodasnew (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Zoloft (sertraline): I was diagnosed with PMDD and prescribed cyclical Sertraline. I can remember the day I started my period thinking how did that happen without all the stress anger and drama. I aliken it to having gas and air during labour. It just takes the top off the emotion and prevents the explosive outbursts of uncontrollable anger. I honestly thought i just had normal pmt until I saw my doctor, who upon asking me a list of questions, said the only one id replied no to was suicidal thoughts but it probably wouldnt be too long before I got there. Apart from a nasty headache on day 2/3 this drug has literally saved my family life.

November 12, 2013 4:45 AM

Review by works for me! (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Zoloft (sertraline): I've suffered from Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder for about 5 years. I tried Seasonique for two years and thought it was working, but every time I had blood work done my markers for heart disease were off the charts. It was so strange and no one could figure out why. I also gained A LOT of weight. I stopped taking the Seasonique and went on the 50 mg Zoloft which I take from day 7 until I menstruate. It has changed my life. Before, I felt like abandoning my entire life and felt so guilty that I couldn't enjoy my children at all. But now I'm able to get perspective on things. I don't rage and I'm able to manage my PMDD. I would recommend it to anyone suffering. It's the only thing I take now and my blood work is all normal.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 6, 2013 4:25 PM

Review by Pyjamas:

Zoloft (sertraline): After being diagnosed with PMS my doctor prescribed Sertraline on a cyclical basis. I take the tablets two weeks before my period and I can honestly say they have saved my life. I remember being so shocked when my period started for the first time on them because I hadn't had any of that awful build up of anger, depression and frustration. It was like a lead weight had lifted off my shoulders. I felt normal again.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 17, 2013 2:48 AM

Review by Lisa T. (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft (sertraline): I was on Lexapro for almost 5 years for depression, but told my Doctor about the extreme anger, anxiety and more depression I had been having, so she immediately switched to Zoloft. It's now been two months on Zoloft, and zero PMDD symptoms. My family is so glad I found this medication!

February 3, 2013 8:53 PM

Review by Mummy of 4:

I was taking Prozac (fluoxetine hydrochloride) for 10yrs to treat PMDD, postpartum depression, OCD. since I stopped this and started sertraline I realized the Prozac was weak in helping me! Sertraline's amazing! It has helped settle my major symptoms of illnesses above, I now live a normal life and everything isn't such a big deal to me anymore. I'm more rational and certainly don't turn into a monster in menstrual cycle. I'm much more calm and collected! Side effects I suffered sleepiness and irritability and dry mouth in the 1st week, that stopped. I persisted was going to stop thankfully I didn't! I have noticed as I have been on them 3 months now I have a decreased appetite, indigestion, slower digestive system which I can tolerate! Sometimes hyperactivity.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 21, 2012 5:07 AM

Zoloft (sertraline): I have dealt with PMS for years. I finally found a doctor willing to listen and try to help. After discussing symptoms with her I was diagnosed with PMDD and put on Zoloft. In a matter of days I felt better than I have in years. It does tend to make me sleepy so I take it at night. Having a proper diagnosis and treatment saved my marriage, my job and my relationships with others.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 8, 2012 10:32 AM

Zoloft (sertraline): I just started Zoloft 3 days ago and am encouraged by those of you who say the drowiness goes away after a while. I am on the one week prior to my period regime, due to PMDD. It is amazing already how calm and patient I am with my kids and husband. I had been on other meds in the past for depression, but hadn't taken anything in a few years. I have to say for the last post, the Yaz can make you depressed and gain weight. I would have just done the Zoloft. Loving the Zoloft. Excited to see how I feel when the side effects go away.

February 5, 2012 10:11 AM

Zoloft (sertraline): I was diagnosed with PMDD about 9 months ago, after tracking symptoms with my Gynecologist. We tried the Yaz/Zoloft treatment (25mg) for three months, one week prior to your period. The first month, it worked like a charm. The second, I started feeling off, almost numb to things. By the third, I was a basket case. This is also when the weight gain kicked in - I gained almost 15 lbs in 5-6 weeks. If I wasn't depressed before, this definitely did the trick. My Doctor then took me off the Yaz/Zoloft regimen and opted to stop my periods altogether, to stop the monthly hormone fluctuation. I have been on Seasonique for three months and it has been amazing! I am finally feeling back to myself after almost a year.

December 6, 2011 10:27 AM

Review by Lillifee:

Zoloft (sertraline): First I will admit I am at wits end with PMDD. I was on Zoloft 100 mg. about 1 yr ago for about 3 months, and it was like a miracle pill. Then I started to research more about it and there was so much negativity toward weight gain while on it, and I did gain 10 pounds so I started to panic because I am already 50 pounds overweight. So I went against better judgment and went off of it. I went around the mountain over and over again trying to find a better solution, "Nothing was successful for me". I would rather be fat and happy than skinny and miserable for the rest of my life. I am going back on it in about a week. I am also going to be put on birth control pills to help with the hormones.

July 14, 2011 12:14 PM

Review by SARAMB:

Zoloft (sertraline): After I think years of suffering from PMDDs and it coming to a head this month (as I am in a highly stressful ongoing situation), I self-diagnosed and went to a psychiatrist who was super and put me on Zoloft - first pill last night and I already feel a difference, although have to go through the first week's adaptive side effects (drowsy and slight nausea) I am going to be also fascinated to see if the Zoloft will positively affect my over alcohol consumption which I of course now realize was me self medicating against the depression, trying to find a good mood feeling each day.

February 16, 2011 5:16 AM

Zoloft (sertraline): I've been taking 25mg for PMDD for about a month and a half. On advice of my doctor I am taking it everyday instead of just during PMDD symptoms. It has been absolutely wonderful! The first couple of days I took the whole 25 mg in the morning. I found this to give me headaches and tremors. So I decided to split the pill in 2 pieces and take half in the morning and half with lunch. I only had to do this for about a week; I now take the whole 25 mg in the morning, with or without food, no problems. No serious side effects, definitely not enough to outweigh the benefits. Zoloft has absolutely given me my life back! I was afraid to take it, especially after all of the negative reviews, but I am so happy I gave it a try. Wonderful!

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 9, 2010 9:44 AM

Review by worleygirl41:

Zoloft (sertraline): I started taking 25mg Zoloft 3 weeks ago. The changes have been phenomenal in just that short a time. I have no PMS/PMDD symptoms at all right now. I hope they never return. Zoloft has changed my life. I hope it isn't too soon to tell if the good times will continue but I hope and pray they do. I haven't had any side effects except for one. If I take it in the morning, I get extremely sleepy by mid-afternoon. So I take it at night, problem solved. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones but for so many years I have suffered from PMDD with no relief, that for once, I can brag about how good I feel now! I hope the same for other women experiencing PMS and PMDD.

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 16, 2009 1:35 PM

I started taking Zoloft and now use the generic sertraline, for two reasons, one was for depression with both of my parents being sick and having to move out of their home and into an assisted living and the second reason was for the "flu-like" symptoms and bad moods that I would have with my monthly period. I hardly know when I will be starting my period because I don't have the cramping and mood swings as I had.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 2, 2009 10:49 AM

Zoloft (sertraline): For the past 5 years I have been suffering from Premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD). It affected my life in all aspects. I finally found a solution to my disorder. I take Zoloft 1 x 50mg pill everyday and 2 weeks before my period I take 2 pills (100mg). I never felt better.

January 12, 2009 3:03 PM

Review by Jaci0620:

Zoloft (sertraline): For the past few years, I felt like I had a little demon sitting on my shoulders. The irritability and anger were bad enough to interfere with my daily life, work and relationships. When I began taking Zoloft I suffered severe headaches and fatigue. However, my doctor had warned me this would happen but would go away. Eventually, the side effects did disappear. I have to say that I did experience a total relief from the irritability.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 14, 2008 11:08 AM

Review by shelter:

Zoloft (sertraline): For years I suffered migraines and I swore they were menstrual related and no one believed me until finally a nurse practitioner discussed Prementrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD) with me. My severe moods and migraines were relieved as long as I stayed on Zoloft. PMDD is worse than PMS and I find not as easily diagnosed. I have been having more migraines lately but I am not sure if I have missed doses or need to increase. Zoloft has definitly helped me.

June 3, 2008 11:44 AM

Zoloft (sertraline): I have not been taking Zoloft for very long but for the little time I have been on it, it has truly made a difference in how I handle stressful situations. I am calmer about situations that I generally get angry about and the headaches I use to have have decreased dramatically.

April 18, 2008 4:04 PM