User Reviews for Bupropion

Also known as: Aplenzin, Budeprion, Budeprion SR, Budeprion XL, Buproban, Forfivo XL, Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban

Learn more about Bupropion.

Seasonal Affective Disorder 7 reviews 2 medications

Dysthymia 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Bupropion reviews 635 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Bupropion

Review by 14 yr old son (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: The lowest dose made him stop saying he wanted to kill himself. The doctor up his dosage and I can see my son smile and laugh again. No side effects at all. He even dances now. He's so funny. Before it was a nightmare with him. He's also on Latuda but that takes 3 weeks to kick in. Wellbutrin XL is a life saver for major depression. No more ups and downs.

January 22, 2015 1:16 PM

Review by struggler79:

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: I am a 35 year old woman, who has taken meds for 1/2 her life. I struggle with obsessive compulsive disorder, intrusive thoughts and overall depression. Wellbutrin.. I take 150mg a day. It has changed my life.. I have less obsessive thinking, more motivation and for some reason care way less about what people think.

January 17, 2015 11:43 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Smoking Cessation: I never write reviews but this medicine has worked so well for me. I've been on it since January 2nd and have cut down smoking by more than 3/4. Yesterday I only had 2-3 cigarettes and they weren't even completely smoked. It's weird because you still think of having a smoke now and then but have little desire to actually go have one. Each day gets better and you have less and less desire to actually smoke even if you think about it from time to time. No side effects. Would pay 10x more if I had too for this.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 15, 2015 4:10 AM

Review by jkn1416:

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: Before starting Wellbutrin I was so depressed, crying all the time, no motivation, no energy, no ability to make decisions or follow through with them, no desire to go anywhere. I've been taking Wellbutrin for about 3 weeks and within a 5 days I was noticing a difference. The crying has stopped, I'm more motivated, I have more energy and I'm making decisions I couldn't before. I have been active, forcing myself to go to the gym but now I'm more eager to go. Wellbutrin has made a huge difference for me.

January 1, 2015 4:27 PM

Review by globalarizona (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zyban (bupropion) for Smoking Cessation: Quit date 3 days away, after a month on Zyban, cigarettes taste bad, and aren't satisfying at all. Have reduced by half, without even starting with the nicotine replacement lozenges and gum. Was taking Lexapro for anxiety, stopped and switched to Zyban as my anti-anxiety and smoking cessation.

December 26, 2014 7:56 PM

Review by cntrywolf (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: I was diagnosed with major depression several years back. I've been on almost everything out there. I would try the medicine and hate the side effects or how it made me feel and taper myself off. Wellbutrin came on the market and I asked to be put on it. I take 300mg everyday and up until recently it was working great. As I age other emotional problems occurred (anxiety disorder) that Wellbutrin was not helping with, and Effexor was added. Wellbutrin is the ONLY psychotropic medicine I've not had any side effects with and have stayed on as long as I have. It also helped me quit smoking after being a 25 yr /1pk a day smoker.

December 21, 2014 1:59 PM

Review by Siegfried53 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Depression: I was taking 300mg of Bupropion. But I upped it to 400mg. I realize the possibility of a seizure; but I've had no problems. I feel WONDERFUL! I get my Bupropion through the VA at no cost.

December 19, 2014 12:04 PM

Review by rfs86:

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: Well I've been on this medication for three days now. I can tell today that my mood has gone up like way up. I do notice it's hard to sleep or stay a sleep. I maybe have gotten 5 hours each night since I've started. But I feel alive and ambitious.

December 19, 2014 10:59 AM

Review by VicGirl (taken for less than 1 month):

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: It's only been four days - I've been told it takes about 2 to 3 weeks for full affect. I am taking 300 mg per day. I definitely feel better, but it's subtle at this point (I wanted to go outside and be part of society). What I'm most surprised about is the lack of side effects (other than no appetite) I have not one side effect.

December 8, 2014 10:09 PM

Review by ChiefChuck:

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: Recently I retired from public safety. I should have been happy and content to have a lot of free time. My friends all said I looked rested and better than I had in years. What they did not know is how depressed I was and how much I missed the work and my work friends. Reluctantly my doctor prescribed Bupropion HCL 150 mg for seven days then 300 mg daily in the AM. After the first day, I was already feeling better. I just finished the first two weeks and I'm feeling so much better. Occasionally I still have negative thoughts. Side effects include anxiety and an elevated BP. I'm happy with the results and believe the medication has taken me away from the edge. I will post updates periodically.

December 5, 2014 9:08 AM

Review by Mädchen (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: I suffer from major anxiety to the point where it feels like my chest is going to crush itself from the tension. I also have tendencies to get panic attacks at random times along with a feeling a doom and gloom ever hanging over my head. While I never reached a point of suicidal thoughts I did have weeks and sometimes months of listlessness where I didn't want do anything, see anyone, or be anywhere. I felt like nothing mattered. After being on Wellbutrin I am happy to say these incidents haven't occurred again . Unlike other medicines I have tried in the past, this one has had zero personality effect. I feel like myself, the one who was always trying to bust out of the anxiety ridden zombie that I was.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 4, 2014 8:41 AM

Review by chameleon18 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: I have situational depression, never dealt with it before. Wellbutrin had definitely helped get me out of bed each day. The "situation" is becoming better as well but I find my emotions aren't as out of whack. I cry less & get angry less. I do feel it made me more anxious which I'm already dealing with & taking Buspirone for. I didn't experience many side effects BUT one that is hard to deal with but because it seems to make me get through each day a little better, I deal with it. It makes my throat feel closed, which is very annoying. I feel often like I can't breathe well & that I can't swallow or that something is stuck in my throat. I've not taken any other pills on several days to determine that it was the Wellbutrin that did it & it is.

December 3, 2014 8:10 AM

Review by JeffFlag (taken for less than 1 month):

Zyban (bupropion) for Smoking Cessation: Tried quitting cold turkey and was so grumpy had to decide between quitting or my marriage, chose marriage. Tried Zyban, quit after 10 days, been a month and have not had any sign of grumpiness, withdrawl or anxiety. I call them my magic pills

December 2, 2014 4:10 PM

Review by Maxxywax (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Seasonal Affective Disorder: I loved it. No sexual side effects and it worked great for about 6 months then I started noticing that I would get very irritable after taking it. I went off for a bit and now back on for winter and seems to be fine now.

November 27, 2014 12:21 PM

Review by zoozzzz:

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: Bad for me. Would not let me sleep. Felt angry all the time. Did, not help me at all in a matter of fact it made things worse.

November 26, 2014 3:57 PM

Review by It Can Work Fast (taken for less than 1 month):

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: My wife passed away and I went into a deep depression. I was put on Wellbutrin and told by my nurse it would be at least 4 weeks. In just 3 days and I was feeling great, clear headed, I smiled, I ate normally.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 25, 2014 7:57 PM

Review by JaseyRae (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: When first taking Wellbutrin, my mouth became really dry, I got a few weird headaches, and I felt some physical numbness when I touched my skin; However, after a month the symptoms were almost non-existent and my depression and anxiety improved drastically. Also, my doctor prescribed it to me to help with ADD/ADHD. I noticed that my focus was also better. This may be simply because anxiety can cause you to lack attention and it fixed the anxiety, but either way it worked great for me.

November 21, 2014 1:22 PM

Review by jay-bee (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion) for Depression: Extreme dry mouth. Could not leave home without bottle of water. Extreme dry stools to the point that I was taking a stool softener every day to avoid unnecessary straining.

November 20, 2014 10:13 PM

Review by BrianAZ:

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: I'm male, 54 years old and weigh about 180 LBS. The first time I tried Wellbutrin, it was 150mg twice a day. It was too much for me. Side effects: Jitters, hyperactive, constant bouncing of knee when sitting, clenching teeth, weight loss, tinnitus, insomnia, dull headache in back of head. I decided to quit Wellbutrin but recently resumed using it. I only take 75mg in the morning (5 AM) then 75mg at 11 AM. They are the "SR" type. I will continue using this dose until my body adjusts and then I may up the dose to 150 twice a day. For me, starting at 300mg a day was far too much. I believe starting lower, I will be able to remain on this.

November 20, 2014 11:23 AM

Review by Pinklady1:

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: I have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and have also suffered the loss of my family. I had 5 major surgeries in one year and have attempted suicide several times. I've been on a variety of meds and have watched my weight balloon from 140 to 240lbs because of these medicines. Am I better because of Wellbutrin maybe at first and it is easier to move my life along. Side effects, itching that drives me nuts, no sex drive, I've only been able to drop 40lbs, can't sleep, agitated really easy over stupid stuff, cry at the smallest thing. Yes, I still have days I don't want to get out of bed but after a while I finally do. No suicide thoughts right now which is good.

November 19, 2014 11:18 PM

Review by jttw:

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: I've been on Welbutrin (my first antidepression/anxiey med) 150mg once a day for about 7 weeks. Its good for those who emotionally eat. I've already lost 15 lbs because I don't have that feeling of hopelessness & it gives me no appetite. I have to force myself to eat for nutritional reasons. On the downside my insomnia is out of control & affecting many parts of my life. I also have experienced several itching fits after about a month & needed Benadryl to get some relief. Otherwise I would gave it a 10.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 18, 2014 8:43 PM

Review by 50 something female (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Depression: It works, except if I take it more than every other day I stutter and stammer uncontrollably, who knew! I wonder if anyone else has this side effect.

November 17, 2014 11:38 PM

Review by Nobody1100:

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion) for Depression: I've been taking this medication for depression. I've been on it for about a year now. When I first started taking it I smoked about a pack a day. Over time this reduced my cravings for nicotine and helped me quit smoking. It took time and effort but it worked. Also when I started this medicine I weighed 207 lbs which was my highest weight. Wellbutrin caused weight loss for me and I now weigh 165. This medicine improves my overall mood and I am not as depressed as I was a year ago. I've also experienced hair shedding, which has become more and more of a problem. Sometimes it comes out in handfuls. I gave this medicine a 9 because mostly my side effects were positive. I don't know where I'd be without Wellbutrin.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 16, 2014 5:30 PM

Review by AAnonymous:

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: I was on Prozac and felt tired all the time, still depressed and no sex drive. I thought maybe the dose wasn't enough and I was going through menopause, but the doc put me on Wellbutrin. I'm with the person above, I cannot believe in one day I felt better. I thought it was in my head. I made phone calls I would avoid because of anxiety, I got things done instead of sleep and I felt so much happier next to my husband. Day two I woke up ready to start the day...completely the opposite of what I had been experiencing. Everyone is different and you just have to see what works for you. Prozac is in a different class and I just needed this antidepressant.

November 13, 2014 1:03 PM

Review by ilovedogs7896 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: This medication worked wonders for me. It took a while (3 weeks maybe) for it to fully set in, and I went from suicidal thoughts and self harm attempts to actually being able to function in society. Wonderful antidepressant, no side effects, except that it is easier to become angry because this medication quickens emotional reaction time. I was put on Lamictal and Klonopin to help my anger and anxiety/paranoia/panic attacks that came with my depression and they have both been wonderful. I do not have any complaint except the anger issue. I will occasionally have a breakdown and have only self harmed twice since starting this medication. Would recommend to anyone suffering from depression.

November 12, 2014 9:18 PM