User Reviews for Bupropion

Also known as: Aplenzin, Budeprion, Budeprion SR, Budeprion XL, Buproban, Forfivo XL, Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban

Learn more about Bupropion.

Seasonal Affective Disorder 11 reviews 2 medications

Dysthymia 3 reviews 3 medications

5.5
Summary of Bupropion reviews 1018 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Bupropion

For ADHD: "It did not help with my focus at all. frequent urination, hot flushes, more energy but did nothing for my ADD."

china egg (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 25, 2016

For ADHD: "I hve major depression and anxiety issues and was recently diagnosed with ADHD. SSRIs make me sick and but I found that taking trileptal (which is an NSRI) completely knocked out my anxiety but didn't touch my depression or my ADHD symptoms . I was terrified of taking the stronger psychiatric medications. But then my doc added Wellbutrin. It had a fast and profound and effect on my ADHD symptoms first. My thoughts were calmer and not so all over the place and my thought felt sharper, my focused. My energy level is up too. It took a little while for it to touch the depression, that was more of a slow burn but now the lethargy and hopelessness is gone. Trileptal and Wellbutrin are non traditional meds for anxiety/depression/ADHD but this my"

Sassy. Spann May 22, 2016

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I was at age 50 severely depressed about my future because I had screwed my life up so bad. I was so full of fear and anxiety as well. I started addressing things in my life one at a time, and one of those things was finding a good psychologist. I chose to get on Wellbutrin, 300 day and like others felt it working by day two. Within three months it settled in and completely changed my life. I'm happy to wake up, I enjoy work, I take care of myself, people respond to me better. In not worried about the future. I like me again. It's been a miracle drug for me - all positive, no negative."

Namaste100 May 20, 2016

For Seasonal Affective Disorder: "It cured my seasonal depression which had lasted from age 21 to age 49. But it will not work for people who take too low a dosage. Everyone should work with their doctor to find a dosage level that works and it takes a few weeks at a dosage to determine if that level is or is not effective. I take 400 per day."

Billspal (taken for 10 years or more) May 16, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder: "If I miss a dose I usually feel low energy return within 24 hours. But feel fine once the right dose for me is reestablished. I feel perfectly normal with 400 mg per day. I don't feel well with less than that. My wife needs 450 to control her SAD. I feel sorry for people who give up before reaching an effective dosage of buproprion. It takes a few weeks at the right dosage and after that you will feel like a new person."

Billspal (taken for 10 years or more) May 16, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "Buproprion XL was helpful for a season when depression was hitting very hard with Bipolar. When I initially started taking it, I saw effects right away. I didn't notice any false happiness like many associate with "anti-depressants" but it lightened my mood which had been pretty depressed for some time. Over time I did notice the effect of the drug lessened and I did quit taking it, but it was helpful during the time I needed it. I had previously tried Zoloft and I found Buproprion superior to Zoloft in my personal experience."

Manuel231 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 15, 2016

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "Depression/anxiety. Tried various SSRIs, which gave me terrible night sweats and edginess. Wellbutrin gave me back my appetite for life. I wanted/was motivated to get uo, get out and do things rather than sit around. Also, because you can't/shouldn't drink while taking it, I secondarily lost weight and felt healthier - mentally and physically. Can't think of any negative side effects - takes a week or two to adjust/calibrate when starting."

SDH1974 May 14, 2016

For Anxiety: "Female, 26, suffer from anxiety, depression fatigue, sexual dysfunction due to heart surgery, hysterectomy, and traumatic couple of years. This stuff helps so much! I have energy and able to have conversations with strangers and enjoy a social life and after over a year of a complete lack of sexual interest and problems, I finally have a labido again! Not that I needed to lose weight but I was 133 lbs and due to thyroid trouble was unable to get back to my 120 lbs until starting this medication."

Ninjastefy May 13, 2016

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "Heart palpations, dizzyness, night sweating, headaces, backpain, depressed and wanting to kill just about anybody was taking over my life at 50 ( Menopause (apparently)... Wellbutrin saved my life -or somebody elses (-; No side effects other than difficulty to sleep but that passed in about a month. No weird "high as a kite" feeling. Just my normal self again. Taking one (150 mg) pill only in the morning"

Ma99 May 13, 2016

For Smoking Cessation: "This drug did nothing for the intended prescribed purpose several times. I stopped smoking with my bodies own drug, Endorphin's! With me I needed to produce this to counteract the addiction of nicotine. Worked like a charm. I rode my bike non stop for a few months in the Summer of 2004. Coming up on 12 years smoke free from a 30 year childhood obtained addiction. I've never knew how much this poison was stealing my life."

Panty Bottom (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 13, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder: "Was on Paxil for 2 years and felt it wasn't working anymore and I was becoming depressed again and having obsessive compulsive thoughts. Switched to the generic brand called mylan-burpropion and lasted 4 days. Was extremely suicidal and couldn't stop crying. My throat closed up and I was so nauseous. Stopped taking immediately the feeling of wanting to kill myself went away. Throat is still hurting and it feels like I have the flu. This was definitely not the right meds for my system"

Andie1973 May 11, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "This drug has been a life saver more than once. I intend to stay on it forever. I have taken it for several extended periods 6-18 months at times at doses up to 450 mg per day. I've stopped and started but eventually my depression returns. On 150 mg per day, I feel horrible. I have the worst agitation inside where I feel like I could crawl out of my skin. I have a tightness in my chest that will not go away. I'm unable to sit and concentrate at work. On 300mg/day - it's like night and day from 150 mg. This is when I feel perfectly fine. The agitation disappears, and in fact, I almost feel sleepy. The chest tightness goes away and I'm able to sit and do my work for a full 8 hour day. I sleep amazing. On 450mg/day is when I feel "normal"."

Well-buddy (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 10, 2016

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion) for Depression: "Hello Everyone, I took wellbutrin 150 mg once a day, along side with zoloft (200mg) and atenolol (50mg) - the wellbutrin worked well for the first four days, but then i suddenly began to plummet. instead of feeling energized like everyone else in these reviews i began to feel restless, drowsy and dizzy. Even worse, i noticed my blood pressure was going up. By the third week of taking this medication my head was pulsing, i had a couple bad headaches, diarrhea, and nausea . I could not take the side effects anymore because i was experiencing almost every negative side effect. If you are sensitive to caffeine, this drug may not be for you. it felt similar to caffeine which i am sensitive to."

epikblue22 (taken for less than 1 month) May 10, 2016

For : "I took Wellbuterin for smoking cessation. This stuff made me feel weird and amped up within a matter of days. I have bipolar disorder, and I stopped taking it fairly quickly after I started. Around this time, I started having weird panic episodes when falling asleep. I would awake like a electrical shock hit my brain, just as my body got to the point of relaxation and sleep. The doctors had no idea what was going on, and one of them said the only thing consistent with my symptoms was methamphetamine withdrawal, and I've never taken such things in my life. Many years later, a friend sent me an article saying that Wellbuterin caused this type of withdrawal. If this drug works for you, great. However, it was a nightmare for me."

JC-NameAlreadyInUse May 8, 2016

For Smoking Cessation: "I am a solid pack a day smoker, if not more on some days. I am currently in the 3rd week of taking wellbutrin. The first week I took one pill/day (150). This did nothing but make me tired, no desire to quit smoking, because I love to smoke. The second week I went up to 300, still tired, no desire to quit. It was a few days into the second week that I went from 1 pack of cigarettes to a 1/2 pack (I had to time my cigarettes, still love to smoke). I am currently in my 3rd week (almost 4th) and I'm down to 5/day. I just smoked a cigarette and for the first time in my life, I felt nothing. I still feel a little empty, still want to smoke, but this definitely helps take the edge off the quitting process."

luvmy2boys May 5, 2016

For Depression: "I started taking 150mg Bupropion SR twice a day for severe depression in January 2016 after being on 150mg Sertraline once a day for almost a year and having very little success with it. The first two weeks of taking Bupropion I was constantly dizzy and nauseous, but I waited it out and after two weeks I was fine. My depression didn't suddenly disappear like I hoped it would, but I found myself genuinely laughing and crying which felt so good. Now I've been on it for around 5 months and I'm slowly but surely getting better. I can function like a normal human and live my life now and it's fantastic. This medication isn't widely used for depression in NZ (which is where I live) but it's definitely worth talking to your doctor about."

georgiaedwards (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2016

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: "After having seizures back in December, doctor started me on lexapro for depress- made me sweat like crazy, light headed, uh, not function at work, then to zoloft, slightly better, still sweating intensely after first hour, seemed better than lexapro, stuck with it for 3 mos, no real change in depression; incredibly tired all day. Added Wellbutrin to mix, after 3 weeks couldn't be around any one, a total irritable ahole. Finally had enough, stopped wellbutrin and did extensive research about generics vs name brands. Despite FDA's approval many people report the generics are not nearly as effective. 3 days off fake wellbutrin, feel slightly better. getting of zoloft next. Perhaps brand names work, but i'll deal with my depression myself."

NoGenerics (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2016

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "I got prescribed this because I was having major anxiety and felt like I was going to pass out. This is barely my second day on it and I don't know how I feel about this drug yet I feel a tad weird and feel off and feels like it helps with my anxiety kind of for a while but then I'll get major anxiety again. What should I do? What drug works best for anxiety/panic disorders. It sucks."

RogerLuk May 2, 2016

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: "Today was the first day I have had to take this medicine, I have already experienced the dry mouth, & not really caring to eat. I am only 20 years old, I've made a lot of dramatic changes in my life in the past month, & I've dealt with depression for a while but was honestly scared to admit it. I have read very many reviews and I am nervous about it, but at the same time I'm pretty happy to see the positive reviews, I'm wanting to feel happy like I should, & do things I want to do without worrying about what thought will ruin my plans for that day. Prayers would be appreciated while I get use to being on this, & start learning if it's for me or not."

Hellokitty♡ April 30, 2016

For ADHD: "I've only been on it for 4 days but I refused to go back on Adderall. I require 2 30mg Adderall tablets a day and experience audio hallucinations after taking it for about 18 months. I have been off Adderall for 15 months. I told my Dr. I refuse to be back on it. I also suffer from an anxiety disorder. All of my mental health care is very well-documented from the time I was 14 years old. I am now 32 and at a place in my life where I do not want to take any stimulants to help me Focus. I do take lorazepam but I'm down to 15/ 2 milligram tablets a month from 60. I seem to have energy and increased concentration with Wellbutrin. Adderall keeps me more focused but it's not worth the side effects. I also take 1/3mg of Lunesta to sleep."

Monofletch (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2016

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: "26 year old male. Been on it for 31 days. 1st week 150mg xl: high speedy energy. Mild insomnia (up till 3am most nights). Waking early and generally good mood. 2nd week 300mg xl. Very high constant anxiety. Emotional swings. Broke down in tears one day. 3rd week: Things were smoothing out. Still slightly anxious. Less emotional. 4th week: Feeling completely normal almost like I'm not on any medication. More level headed and better mood with less swings. Anxiety disappearing and confidence growing. No side effects. This is in combination with seeking help from a counselor, and confiding with a close friend of mine about how depressed I have been over the years. I am happy I took it. It has got me back on my feet and allowed me to seek help."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 29, 2016

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "Probably saved my life. This is the first antidepressant I tried as I was scared of some of the nasty side effects of the SSRIs (sexual, weight gain, tiredness). I was on Wellbutrin XL 150 mg for 1-2 months and then have been on 300mg XL for 3 months now. Getting on it was a little strange, as I had some side effects of anxiety at first, but actually have not had a panic attack since starting. Just know that it doesn't really help with anxiety/ocd symptoms (but I've been going to therapy for that). Really made me motivated to get work done (never been the case for me) without that craziness feeling from Adderall. Very consistently good mood and makes me want to be alive. Also increased sex drive + motivation for exercise is a plus."

hsoj1324 April 24, 2016

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "I have been on 150XL and feel horrible. Its almost like I'm tripping on LSD. Foggy head, angry, cranky and very irritable. Heart palpitations and it makes me very lethargic. Dr recommended taking it at night and its a tiny bit better. I want to stick with it to see if it gets me to a better emotional state but don't know if I can last. How long before I start feeling better?"

scary lady (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2016

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion) for Depression: "I started taking 150 mg twice a day, and I started feeling a difference since day 1, the very first night I woke up in the middle of the night agitated because a very vivid dream and they only got worse as days went by to the point I could not differentiate dreams with reality and having a lot of trouble to wake up, during the day I was feeling hopeful again and started doing things I had stopped doing but on day 7 approx I had a major panic attack at work feeling like choking due to lack of oxigen and started hyperventilating which I had never experienced before in my life so long story short I ended up in ER that night, even though the paramedics suggested it was gonna go away by itself I still wanted to be checked out, horrible experience"

Alejandro618 (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2016

For Depression: "I have been off and on antidepressants for years. I finally got to the point with being on bupropion 150mg for over two years but my depression kept worsening. My doctor finally changed my prescription to bupropion xl300mg and my life has drastically changed. I have so much more energy now. Before I just wanted to sleep all day. Now, I am up and active all day and actually want to take better care of myself and my home/family. It's been amazing -- add in my 24 pound weight loss so far in four months and I'm finally looking forward to my future! My major side effects that bother me are dry mouth and ringing in my ears. I also notice that my PMS has worsened, but the positives definitely outweigh the negatives!"

ElliottElliott April 22, 2016