User Reviews for Bupropion

Also known as: Aplenzin, Budeprion, Budeprion SR, Budeprion XL, Buproban, Forfivo XL, Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban

Learn more about Bupropion.

Seasonal Affective Disorder 10 reviews 2 medications

Dysthymia 3 reviews 3 medications

5.5
Summary of Bupropion reviews 998 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Bupropion

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "Probably saved my life. This is the first antidepressant I tried as I was scared of some of the nasty side effects of the SSRIs (sexual, weight gain, tiredness). I was on Wellbutrin XL 150 mg for 1-2 months and then have been on 300mg XL for 3 months now. Getting on it was a little strange, as I had some side effects of anxiety at first, but actually have not had a panic attack since starting. Just know that it doesn't really help with anxiety/ocd symptoms (but I've been going to therapy for that). Really made me motivated to get work done (never been the case for me) without that craziness feeling from Adderall. Very consistently good mood and makes me want to be alive. Also increased sex drive + motivation for exercise is a plus."

hsoj1324 April 24, 2016

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "I have been on 150XL and feel horrible. Its almost like I'm tripping on LSD. Foggy head, angry, cranky and very irritable. Heart palpitations and it makes me very lethargic. Dr recommended taking it at night and its a tiny bit better. I want to stick with it to see if it gets me to a better emotional state but don't know if I can last. How long before I start feeling better?"

scary lady (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2016

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion) for Depression: "I started taking 150 mg twice a day, and I started feeling a difference since day 1, the very first night I woke up in the middle of the night agitated because a very vivid dream and they only got worse as days went by to the point I could not differentiate dreams with reality and having a lot of trouble to wake up, during the day I was feeling hopeful again and started doing things I had stopped doing but on day 7 approx I had a major panic attack at work feeling like choking due to lack of oxigen and started hyperventilating which I had never experienced before in my life so long story short I ended up in ER that night, even though the paramedics suggested it was gonna go away by itself I still wanted to be checked out, horrible experience"

Alejandro618 (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2016

For Depression: "I have been off and on antidepressants for years. I finally got to the point with being on bupropion 150mg for over two years but my depression kept worsening. My doctor finally changed my prescription to bupropion xl300mg and my life has drastically changed. I have so much more energy now. Before I just wanted to sleep all day. Now, I am up and active all day and actually want to take better care of myself and my home/family. It's been amazing -- add in my 24 pound weight loss so far in four months and I'm finally looking forward to my future! My major side effects that bother me are dry mouth and ringing in my ears. I also notice that my PMS has worsened, but the positives definitely outweigh the negatives!"

ElliottElliott April 22, 2016

For Depression: "I have suffered from depression and anxiety for some time now, the first time the doctor prescribed citalopram , which worked just fine, last week i got prescribed Bupropion , the first day it made a little nervous , the second day i felt really depressed and little moody.. The third day gave a manic episode which i never had before , i stopped right away , it is definitively not for me."

Brian R April 21, 2016

For Depression: "Began morning dose today. One afternoon "guinea pig" dose yesterday to examine for side/effects. No changes in mood, no craving for smoking in the morning"

Clrncd (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2016

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: "It takes about 2 weeks to feel Wellbutrin kick in and about a month for it to be full effect. I am on 300 mg a day and take it in the morning only. If you take it too late it will keep you awake. I am on other med for Bipolar that cause weight gain, but this med seems to be the opposite and has actually helped me lose weight. Sometimes the med "runs out" in the afternoon and you can kind of feel the let down. It works great for depression and would be good if used by itself for weight loss. Would recommend using it, but you have to be patient with it."

cash58 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 19, 2016

For Anxiety: "I have been on these meds for about 3 months now for anxiety on 150 mg. At first I felt on top of the world it was great to go on with my day with reduced anxiety. But I still felt some unpleasant adrenaline so I confirmed with my doc to increase to 300mg hoping it would completely eliminate the adrenaline that was left. After 2 weeks on 300mg I became severely depressed and still feel that minor adrenaline. I will go back to the 150mg again and go back for a reassessment."

30Female (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2016

For Depression: "I have been on Wellbutrin for 1-2 years and have tried at least 5 other antidepressants and I have not been successful with them. Wellbutrin is the only medication I have been on that I have actually been happy. I love this medication. I have felt like a new person. it gives me pep in my step."

noeynoey April 18, 2016

For Depression: "Was on this medication twice - both time caused urinary incontinence (have no prior history of incontinence)."

mkcallahan (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2016

For Smoking Cessation: "I'm only on day 2 of taking bupropion SR, 150 mg. I have not really notice any side effects so far I also take velaxafin for severe anxiety. Just wondering how long does it take effect on helping with quitting smoking? My doctor first put me on bupropion xl 150mg but it did absolutely nothing so now trying bupropion SR..anyone try this and has it helped with the quitting smoking?"

Traywhit (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2016

For Smoking Cessation: "Smoking since last 20 years. Initially I tried to quit smoking in 2008 with Chantix. But had worse experience in second week of medication. Since then I was hesitating to request my doctor to prescribe me... Finally last week again I made my decision to start taking medication.. This time with Bupropion HCL... I used to smoke a pack everyday..This is my second week and I already cut down to 1/4 of my pack....hopefully 3rd will be more positive.... Thank you all for sharing your reviews..."

Jeff2016 (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2016

For Depression: "I have be prescribed 100mg twice a day for 4sks now and it has been up & down for me. I switched from Lexapro (which worked for a few months than started to fade off & was excited to switch based on the reviews. The first week or so I did notice a difference but I couldn't really judge it because of me just getting off of Lexapro. Now this week has been horrible. I have been extremely irritable, had crazy crying spells, I feel like I felt before taking medication. I feel extremely down, no energy to do anything that use to be fun. My anxiety is through the roof and my friends are telling me that I've been very angry lately. I'm praying that these symptoms pass. I also fee like I have something stuck in my throat all the time."

Cymply April 15, 2016

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I have suffered depression and PTSD for a long time. I ate ativan like tictacs and tried many other anti-depressants (prozac, escitlaopram, etc. all of which had very negative effects on me and which I discontinued after trial periods). Last year was a significant year for me with huge outside stressors adding pressure. Long story short, doc put me on wellbutrin. I didn't notice anything at first, but I noticed after a couple weeks the black dog was going away and then I gradually became emotionally flatter and could go weeks without crying. Great stuff. I will be on it for life. Con: As another poster stated; bad and scary quick rebound depression when you quit (ran out and was away so could not renew scrip)."

AliveBecause (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 12, 2016

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "I have been on Wellbutrin 150mg for 3 days now, doc said to up the dose to 300 mg after my first week, it has been hell to say the least. I have had terrible migraines, a very 'slumpled/sluggish' feeling, and I can't sleep!!! If anything, I feel worse! I just want this terrible phase to be over! *one thing positive I will add is that it has helped me with my weight tremendously - I have lost 10 pounds in 10 days. Loosing about a pound a day on this medication."

Jay Marie (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2016

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "I have had depression for over two years and have tried three other antidepressants with little to no success before using Wellbutrin. I have taken Wellbutrin for several months and it is the only antidepressant I've used that has given me no side effects and a signficantly improved mood. I still don't feel as driven and passionate about things as I once was, but at least I have some of my motivation and energy back, which is an improvement from none whatsoever. It's no cure, but I have gradually been feeling so much more emotionally stable since starting this medication."

Star658 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 10, 2016

For Anxiety: "Was on lexapro for maybe 3 years for panic attacks and anxiety. That made me kinda numb. Not really any sex drive, I used to sweat at night with lexapro, it helped with PA & A, but gained weight, and raised cholesterol levels dramatically! I asked to start welbutritin to quit smoking and slowly tapered off lexapro. I'm now taking .5 lexapro maybe 2 times a week till brain zaps disappear..... Now on to the welbutritin... 3 months of Xl 150 a day in the morning, I lost ten pounds! Feel amazing.... And the sex drive is Wonderful. Until I started Wellbutrin I didn't realize how much lexapro affected that because, you just don't think about it, that's part of the numbing I guess. I'm very happy that I switched!"

Review101 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2016

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "I have had episodes of depression throughout my life. I have been on ssri meds off and on. They never seemed to help and side effects were horrible, Tired lack of energy sexual side effects increased anxiety. After my son was born I experienced the worst depression anxiety. After over 3yrs. I finally went to seek help and refused to take ssri meds. They first put me on buspar for anxiety which is a great alternative to other addictive meds. Then they added 150 mg. Welbutrin once in the morning. The first day I felt like I actually woke up for the first time in 3 years, had energy but after a week felt like it wore off too quick. I am being upped to 300my xl and hoping I'll get better results. Still best med I've ever tried!"

JanetLM April 9, 2016

Zyban (bupropion) for Smoking Cessation: "I smoked for thirty years. I thought I'd die with a cigarette in my mouth. If tried everything and I still went back to smoking. Zyban was my last chance. I smoked at first and started to taper off. If there were side effects I don't really remember them. It took three weeks before I had the guts to not smoke. I list the cravings rather quicker than I thought possible. I haven't smoked for 12 years now. I still can't believe I'm a non smoker. Even at the worst time in my life I still never felt like a cigarette. I can honestly say I'm not a reformed smoker. I truly a non smoker."

Michelle G April 7, 2016

For Smoking Cessation: "Bupropion sr help me to quite tobbaco. within 10 days. now 2 years are completed with smoking. thanks !"

p shah (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2016

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "I have struggled with depression and anxiety for some time, now. I was initially worried that the stimulating effects would exacerbate my anxiety, and it did--but only temporarily. Wellbutrin XL 300mg has been the ONLY antidepressant that has worked. I take it in combination with Effexor XR 75mg. I was taken off Wellbutrin in an attempt to switch to Effexor only, but it became quickly apparent that Wellbutrin controlled most of the depressive symptoms. I stopped it for 2 months--both of which were awful. Within a week of resuming Wellbutrin, my depression began to lift. I still have bad days, of course, but the effects of Wellbutrin make me more energized and ready to take on the world."

anonymous1245 April 7, 2016

For Depression: "Taking 1 150mg XL tablet a day... I began to notice a difference in just a few days... I have come leaps and bounds from the saturated overwhelming feeling of depression in just two months. I am so glad I found something that works! Not only do I feel more energetic with a positive feeling of wellbeing... My anxiety has improved drastically as well... Or perhaps I just mistakened the racing thoughts and worries for anxiety when they were actually a part of my depression? Either way, I haven't felt this mentally stable in years! I feel normal again... So glad I reached out for help instead of continuing to live that way... My relationship with family have improved as well... Very happy! :)"

Dmae (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2016

For Anxiety: "I call it The Miracle Drug! I was on Paxil for 9 years and had no idea how much it dragged me down. After I had to have my thyroid removed, my Dr and I decided it was time to try something new. Within a week I could feel the difference (maybe it was quick due to body already being use to paxil) My family, friends and co-workers all noticed. I was energized, happy, my libido is finally back (only my husband noticed that one ;) lol, and I"ve lost 14# The only negative I can think of was the first few weeks I had wild, vivid dreams but that has basically stopped. I wish I found it years ago!"

Kelsey764 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 5, 2016

Zyban (bupropion) for Smoking Cessation: "When I first took Zyban, I was confident it wouldn't work. I smoked much more than I used to during the first week, and then suddenly I couldn't smoke at all. After 3 months on Zyban, I have been extremely happy that I finally beat this addiction. I'm no longer taking the medication and do feel like I want a drag or two. All in all, I would say it is a miracle drug...no matter what people tell you, it IS worth it. Be sure to follow what your doctor tells you, it's plain and simple: 2 tablets per day for 9-12 weeks and you will never ever smoke, if that is really what you want. I hope it helps everyone the same way it helped me."

MK7 April 5, 2016

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "My daughter suffered from depression and anxiety and had tried SSRIs. We thought this might help give her more energy and feel better since it affects dopamine. However, over the summer her anxiety got worse. At college her anxiety got even worse. She became paranoid and even started hearing voices. She ate very little and slept very little. She stopped going to classes and had suicidal thoughts. She called me and said she felt constantly "jittery," so I told her to get off the drug. Basically, it increased her energy and made her mood much worse. I don't recommend this for someone who suffers from anxiety since it affects norepinephrine - the fight or flight response."

Feeling Tired (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 5, 2016