User Reviews for Bupropion

Also known as: Aplenzin, Budeprion, Budeprion SR, Budeprion XL, Buproban, Forfivo XL, Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban

Learn more about Bupropion.

Seasonal Affective Disorder 9 reviews 2 medications

6.6
Dysthymia 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Bupropion reviews 719 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Bupropion

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: "I've been on Wellbutrin for 6 months now for anxiety and depression and I feel AMAZING.... I've lost 30lbs and still losing. Not through any actual work on my part. I just find that I'm not as hungry. I'm full of energy every morning and it last all day. I've also noticed an insane increase in Libido and I've easily kicked some bad habits without really trying..... Like biting my nails.... Just doesn't happen anymore. I also don't have any desire for alcohol or cigarettes. For once in my life since starting this long road of anti-depressants, I FINALLY feel like this is the one for me. The only negative side effects I have noticed is my chest/neck stays flush and I really do have to remind myself to eat."

AunnieD (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 29, 2015

For Anxiety: "As a college student, I felt like I needed some support to get me through difficult times that I couldn't do myself for a number of reasons. I tried meditation and relaxation but to no prevail. My twin has been on Lexapro for years now, so I went to my PCP to try Lexapro. It was not helpful at all - it made me want to chain smoke, when I drank it was not a pretty combo, and I was constantly tired. When I got on Wellbutrin starting out at 150mg, it's like I finally saw the light. Everything has just been so much better! I can concentrate better, I'm almost always in a good mood, and I haven't had any huge issues with anxiety. Now I've been on 300mg for almost a month, so we'll see how this goes!"

Anonymous May 22, 2015

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: "Update: checking in on week 5 at 300mg of generic XL made by Par Pharmacuticals. I can't say enough positive things about this medicine. I have had practically no bad side effects except a slightly more noticible 'ringing' in my ears. It is not bothersome and I only notice it it complete silence. On the plus side is virtually a new outlook on life, absence of any sad or hopeless feelings, reduced anxiety, tons of all day energy, focus, and enthusiasm, increased libido, desired weight loss and a shift in personality. I feel like I did when I was younger and full of hope, plans, and happy to greet the day. My jobs are more fulfilling, relationships improved, confidence restored. People notice! I had no idea I was that depressed. Amazing!"

Vinylfind (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 21, 2015

Zyban (bupropion) for Smoking Cessation: "I wasn't sure if I wanted to quit or not, and the first few days on Zyban weren't great. I was in a horrible mood and was convinced the pills weren't going to do anything. Continued smoking like normal and on the eighth day of taking the meds, I took a few drags and knew it would be my last one. It was like something just clicked in my brain. Have been using zero-nicotine liquid in a vaporizer a few times a day just for the menthol sensation, but other than that I haven't had a cigarette since!"

mrrs2014 May 20, 2015

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion) for Depression: "I've been on Wellbutrin 150mg 2x daily for a month now and the only thing that I've noticed is I'm extreme exhaustion about an hour after I take it. It's quite disheartening after reading so many positive reviews about this drug. My doctor recommended giving it more time to take effect but I'm losing hope."

gigglesquirt (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 14, 2015

For Smoking Cessation: "Well day one of 150mg of wellbutrin and I do feel tired and out of it. My stomach is kind of not feeling right and I notice the taste of cigarettes are different but I'm still smoking a lot. I take it at night when I woke up I felt great now I feel tired,hopefully my body will adjust by the end of the week"

kristin555 May 13, 2015

For Anxiety: "I have only taken the XL for 3 days, I have had some anxiety and take Ativan to get through. I feel more able to focus, complete projects, not so much crying, starting to feel like I can cope with life again. I am working, I would advise people to take a couple days off work when starting just to let the side effects subside. I had sexual dysfunction with Zoloft, so I am hoping that I don't have the same problem with this med."

Review456 (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2015

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "I took welbutrin 300xl for 8 years, but had decreased to 150mg about 2 years ago. I had been doing fine until I forgot my pills on a 4-day vacation. Since it was only 4 days I thought I would be ok, and I was until the evening of the 4th night. A situation occurred that definitely justified me being angry with one person, but I had a meltdown of epic proportions. Epic proportions and no one was safe from it. Again, I would have not been out of line for being angry; the situation unfortunately warranted anger, but I just flat out lost it. Scary. I've been back home and back on meds for 2 days. I still feel like I want to hurt someone, but I'm so exhausted I can barely move. I have no idea how long it will take me to shake this."

forgetfulgirl (taken for 10 years or more) May 12, 2015

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: "Hello all I am a 21 year old female. I started taking Wellbutrin 2 months ago, and I felt a difference within about 2 weeks, and full effect at almost 4 weeks. It was great for a while but it increased my anxiety a lot where I'm not doing the things I used to enjoy, it did help with my depression and energy a ton though and I've gotten more done since I've been on the medication then I have in the last 6 months combined. But to me it isnt worth it, I was on Celexa 8 months ago, and it worked fine..but it made me pretty zombie like. On this medication I feel like theres an elephant sitting on my chest I cant even take my daughters for their after dinner walk because I have such shortness of breath. I am going to ask my doctor for a diff med!"

victoria.2305 May 11, 2015

Zyban (bupropion) for Smoking Cessation: "The first week I had some very brief agitation (day 4) that lasted for about 30 minutes. By the end of the first week, my cravings were nearly gone. I am down to only 1 to 3 uses per day, which is a major reduction for me. I plan to be completely done by day 20. No other side effects. Not feeling any nicotine withdrawal symptoms. I plan to use the Wellbutrin full strength for 1-2 weeks after quitting entirely and then begin the taper process. Amazing product."

Jay4444 (taken for less than 1 month) May 10, 2015

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I got to a point where I was in bed 20 hrs a day, couldn't work etc. Severely depressed .I've battled that all my life but never got on an anti depressant . Wellbutrin along with lexapro 20 MG changed my life. Mainly the wellbutrin as I truly changed when that was added. I'm on 300mg SR. AT first you'll feel jumpy and anxious but give it 3-4 days, week tops, and it'll be incredible I have a new job, I'm traveling. New person."

depressedandstressed (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 9, 2015

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I've had severe depression and increasing anxiety since I was 18 (23 soon going on 24 now!) but was only officially diagnosed last summer, a few months after I graduated college. I started taking Wellbutrin SR in September 2014, and eventually went up to 300 mg x day. At first it just gave me headaches, worsened my chronic insomnia, and gave me an immediate burst of way too much energy. Now I no longer experience any of these effects. One of my biggest issues before was total lack of motivation, but Wellbutrin has fixed this almost entirely. I'm actually able to leave the house now and I finally have a job that I enjoy going to and am actually able to focus on. I really wish I had started taking this sooner, but I'm glad I'm on it now."

orangetoday2313 May 8, 2015

For Anxiety: "I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety and Depression after some very traumatic events. I was first put on Prozac and two months in I knew it wasn't for me. Flatline and impossible to have an orgasm. Next was Remeron which made me so exhausted but helped somewhat with anxiety before bed. My new pdoc suggested Wellbutrin. I did research and was afraid to take it. It sat in my drawer for three months. Things got so bad, I would wake up in dread, crying, worried nonstop, so I started it. 150XL in morning for two weeks. I was completely surprised that I had no side effects and was feeling it almost from day one. It was as if the worry disappeared, replaced by a feeling that everything is going to work out. Up to 300 now, great results."

Vinylfind (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2015

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: "Was prescribed a paxil and wellbutrin combo twelve years ago, and the effects fell away over time. Dr kept wellbutrin, dropped paxil, and replaced paxil with a series of meds that increased anxiety, made concentration super hard, and I felt constantly nauseous. Starting tomorrow on only wellbutrin xr. I'll report back. I really need to feel better."

Pasadena 5660 May 4, 2015

For Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced: "I'm 25 male I've been taking this med for two months now and it is getting harder and harder (or should I softer) to keep an erection. Mid sex I'll just go soft. I'm 25 and my sex drive before this was in extreme over drive. Now it's almost nothing.I think I'd rather be depressed with working parts than happy and the sex not working"

mad moody May 4, 2015

For Smoking Cessation: "Day 6 for nicotine cessation after using for 20+ years in various forms. Did not have any desire for nicotine upon waking. The "habit" is still there, but no physical craving. The "habit" is easy to stop since your body isn't craving nicotine. Tobacco doesn't really have any taste at this point. I don't seem to crave it....at all. I was agitated for about 30 minutes on day 4, but have not been since. No other noticeable physical signs or symptoms. Taking the bupropion early in the day is important or you may have trouble getting to sleep later in the day. After the final use of nicotine, 72 hours it should be out of my system. I plan to take the buproprion for 1-2 weeks after and start tapering at that time."

Jay4444 May 2, 2015

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion) for Depression: "I've been on the generic version of Wellbutrin SR 100mg once a day a little over a week. Added to supplement my 20mg Prozac twice a day, and .5 Klonopin twice a day. I've been on the Prozac and Klonopin over a year and it began to be not as effective. I began to feel very depressed along with my anxiety also I've gained about 20lbs so my psychatrist prescribed 100mg Wellbutrin SR once a day in morn to help. So far I've noticed I'm extremely tired about 1 hour after taking, so tired even my strongest cup of coffee can't keep me awake. I know Prozac and Klonopin can have this as a side effect but my body is well adjusted to that now, those side effects are long gone.I've noticed better focus and reduced appetite, so now I will just wait."

D-0881 (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2015

For Smoking Cessation: "I took this for nicotine cessation. At various times, I have used chewing tobacco, snus, nicotine gum/lozenges, and most other alternatives. Over time, these seem to not satisfy my cravings. On day 4 of this, and "magically" I have no physical urges for nicotine in any form. No physical withdrawals of any kind. This is amazing to me, since I was a pretty consistent user of nicotine in some form or another. I have taken to chewing some (regular) gum or eating nuts or licorice or something, which I suspect is for the oral fixation of having something in my mouth. I will work on this. Based on my initial 4 days, I plan to be entirely nicotine free in the next 2 days ( I read it takes 72 hours for it to leave your system entirely). I"

Jay4444 April 30, 2015

For Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced: "Took the medication for a while. Worked well for depression and overall well being, but I did notice it killed my ability to get a solid erection and sex drive was reduced. This trickled into performance anxiety. Trying to figure out how to overcome that now has made things worse for me."

Peter Piper (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 28, 2015

For Anxiety: "6 months ago I stopped drinking and realized I had anxiety. My first 2 anxiety attacks landed me in the hospital without a diagnosis. Finally on my 3rd visit to the ER I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety. When I visited my regular Dr. he prescribed my Xanax 0.5 mg and Zoloft... and OMG I was able to hear colors... That medication did not sit well with me.. An hour after I took it I was feeling like crap, So i called my Dr. the next day and he gave Wellbutrin 150 CL and Clonazapam.... Im on day 6 and so far so good.. no real side effects..."

k9dog (taken for less than 1 month) April 27, 2015

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: "I've been battling moderate anxiety and depression for most of my adult life. I'm 24 now, and since my official diagnosis at age 20 I have tried 4 other medications (Celexa, Zoloft, Paxil, Buspar) and found that each one increased my anxiety, or made me a despondent zombie. 3 months ago my PCP put me on Wellbutrin. Let me tell you, this medication saved my life. I went from spending days lying in bed, smoking weed, having daily panic attacks, to waking up with a desire to take on the day. In the few months since I've been on the medication I've lost 30 pounds. It suppresses the urge to binge eat and provides energy for the gym. My friends said I finally seem like me again. Highly recommended if you hate SSRI's like me!"

StephiStar April 27, 2015

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: "I used to take 75mg 2x a day and quit. I felt like it was not working and had terrible side effects. After 6 months of not taking medications, and situations got hard to cope, I asked to be put back on. The second time around, the 75mg had me very nervous, anxious, dizzy and "dopey". The doctors said that the immediate release is harsh on your system and switched me to 150 mg XL. And just 3 days in to the new dose, I do not have such harsh side effects. The only side effects I have is no appetite, dry mouth and vivid dreams. Overall, I am no longer having obsessive negative thoughts (which triggered my anxiety), so I'm overall not as anxious or having panic attacks. I feel more motivated and energetic, but its only 3 days in on this dose."

Anonymous April 26, 2015

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "I'm 35, female, I took Wellbutrin December to May this year to treat major OCD, depression and ADD. The main effects I experienced: Slight decrease in depression/OCD. Did not make me more social or "feel good" mood-wise. Easier to concentrate at work. Definitely increased ability to work hard and be more competitive and confident. Better able to stand up for myself and express what I want. Heightened sexual drive. However, I had 5-6 major anger out-bursts with people in my life, during this time. Screamed at someone, slapped someone, yelled, wrote a nasty letter. I've never, ever in my life had anger issues. A friend experienced the same thing on Wellbutrin, with the anger. I'm currently decreasing my dose, and may go off the drug completely"

ADD girl (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I was started on Wellbutrin about 2 months ago, along with Lamictal for mood-stabilization. I reluctantly got on it after a year free of meds (when I got hit with a bad case of Seasonal Depression beginning in fall and lasting through March and some of April, after a move to mostly gloomy Asheville, NC. I started off on half a tablet of 75mg regular release. Then I went up an extra half a tab. At first I thought it was great and then I started to feel low down again and went up to 150 mg. Slowly, I noticed feeling quite agitated and almost aggressive. I cut back down to just one tab and then half a tab and still the side-effects persisted, along with horrible anxiety and restlessness. So no more for me."

Cat66a (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 22, 2015

For Smoking Cessation: "Within a month, I kicked a decades-old habit, with Zyban. Sadly, 7 years ago I started after having quit for 10 years, and my doc is going to get me going on Zyban (Wellbutrin) again within a month. I can't wait!"

Vermontgal April 22, 2015