User Reviews for Bupropion

Also known as: Aplenzin, Budeprion, Budeprion SR, Budeprion XL, Buproban, Forfivo XL, Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban

Learn more about Bupropion.

Seasonal Affective Disorder 5 reviews 2 medications

Dysthymia 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Bupropion reviews 534 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Bupropion

Review by Tchrmom1998 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: I have been taking it for a week and have tons of energy! I am excited and happy. I am getting a lot done and it is great. I do have trouble with winding down at night though. This is the reason for the rating of 9 otherwise it would have been 10.

April 13, 2014 6:07 PM
Review by JezJones: User Rating:

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): Worked really well for my depression and anxiety, but triggered a hypomanic episode after taking it for 4 weeks.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 8, 2014 5:59 AM
Review by Toto33: User Rating:

bupropion for ADHD: I am an adult male in my 40s. I was very distracted, anxious and sexually had a driven behavior, almost addicted to it. It made me had problems with my personal relationships, fortunately sports became a scape, but still it was a concern. I was diagnosed ADHD and received Strattera for almost a year. It improved everything in my life but I always had a headache specially in the afternoon. My psychiatrist recommended Wellbutrin 150 once a day and then twice a day. It worked with me, I am not as focused as with Strattera but happier with no headaches . I take the first dose at 7.00 am and the second at 3.00 pm. If I cannot take it before that time I prefer to miss that dose, otherwise I can't sleep at night.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 4, 2014 9:44 PM
Review by Just a guy: User Rating:

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: This stuff worked wonders for me, and additionally I had absolutely no side effects what so ever from it, so talk about a double win when we tried this medicine out. Started on 300mg and it took about 75-80% of the edge off of the depression. Proceeded to add ability (had a rare side effect, made my eyesight horrible), added Prozac 40mg (helped but made me go limp in ways a guy never likes to happen), then down to 20mg (side effects mostly went away) but still not enough, went to 600mg of Wellbutrin and have been 100% depression free for the past 1 year.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 26, 2014 4:53 AM
Review by Gsidthekid (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: After starting wellbutrin I didn't notice any effects until week 5, I am now on week 9. I feel so much better than before, my self image and self confidence have skyrocketed, my libido increased, I am so much more optimistic and happy too. Honestly can't say enough positive things about Wellbutrin.

March 20, 2014 11:52 AM
Review by Kate D (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: I have been on 150 mg Wellbutrin with 50 mg Pristiq daily with nominal results. My doctor upped the Wellbutrin to 300 mg and it has made all the difference. It is like day and night. I just hope I keep responding to this medication forever. It has changed my life and given me hope again. Keep trying and talking to your doctor. Good luck!

March 16, 2014 12:25 AM
Review by ZT: User Rating:

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: Five months after my Daughters fatal car accident, my Dr. suggested Celexa for my depression. I took it for 6 months. It made me worse, my Dr. thought that Wellbutrin might be better. It has really helped, just after 3 weeks I've noticed a big difference in my life. I take 200mg per day and now I can finally get on with my life knowing that some day we will be together.

March 12, 2014 7:16 PM
Review by Swaying (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

bupropion for Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome: I'm baffled as to why bupropion is helpful with orthostasis, but for me, it has been. I can confirm that now because my doctor took me off it in case it was contributing to hypertensive spikes (--I have hyperadrenergic POTS). I don't know about that, and especially because I'm on a new beta blocker too, but I'm back to that slightly sweaty, slight swaying feeling when I stand, and my standing pulse pressure (difference between systolic and diastolic figures) narrows more now with standing.

March 2, 2014 1:01 PM
Review by Jessmay31 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

bupropion for Depression: I am a 23 year old female, recently been taking 450 mg of Forvivo until apparently made me have a manic episode leading me to be put in a hospital. From there on, the Dr. at the hospital put me on 150 mg of bupropion and the decrease of mgs really affected me. I have no motivation or urge to do anything. I'm lagging, wanting to stay in bed all day, I started getting a headache for days in a row, feeling fatigue, twitching uncontrollably, just tired and not wanting to do anything at all. Before when I was on 450mg Forvivo, I was definitely high on life. I had energy, motivation, I actually got out of bed without struggle or wanting to crawl back to bed. I can't believe what a big difference a dosage and generic can be.

March 1, 2014 10:24 PM
Review by Mama Lisa (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: This medicine has saved my life. I was on it for several years (300 mg) and felt it wasn't helping any more so I quit it on my own. No problem quitting but a few months ago began feeling hopeless due to financial problems and could not do anything on weekends but lay around in bed and sleep my weekends away. I couldn't get anything done and put important things off that needed to be done. In just the last 2 days I can tell that I already want to get out of bed and do housework and get a shower. I didn't realize what Wellbutrin XL did for me but I do now and am grateful I am back in it!

March 1, 2014 11:59 AM
Review by thebrandmakesadifference (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

bupropion for Depression: In my experience I have most often taken the Bupropion XL tablet that is oblong; and that is one that I have absolutely little to none side effects that I actually notice. However, when I got my refill from the pharmacy a few days ago, they filled half of the bupropion prescription bottle up with the normal oblong ones (on the bottom) and the strange round ones at the top. I had to actually research what the inscription on the pill meant to make sure that there hadn't been some sort of mistake. Anyway, I immediately noticed after taking this round type pill that I feel a ''buzzy'' sensation in my head that is very hard to explain. It is very disconcerting.

February 22, 2014 11:50 PM
Review by Your Nickname: User Rating:

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: I started 150mg of Wellbutrin XL in Jul 2013 due to feeling very unmotivated, depressed, tired, and hopeless. After a few days I felt good, and by the second week I felt better than I had in several years. I increased the dose to 300mg in Oct because I was starting to feel down again. It helped a lot but by Jan I was very irritable/angry/bitter, so I lowered the dose to 150mg and restarted 40mg of Prozac and the anger subsided. To address some side effects: inability to fall asleep (went away after 2-3 weeks), increased libido (awesome), pretty much the same appetite (no weight loss or gain), vivid dreams (sometimes disturbing), more emotional (but not crazy/extreme), constipation (moderate-severe), sensitivity to caffeine (must avoid).

February 19, 2014 4:05 PM
Review by Gretchenp (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

bupropion for Depression: I've been taking the generic Bupropion SR 150MG manufactured by Mylan Labs (blue pill) three times a day for over ten years. When I switched pharmacies, I was given another brand and reassured it was EXACTLY the same. It is not. Within a day I felt like I'd been hit by a truck: despair, depression, vivid nightmares, increased appetite, getting up in the morning felt like trying to awake from a coma, bloating, headache, intense sugar cravings resulting in binging. To avoid feeling that awful, I'll gladly pay the additional $20 for the Mylan Lab generic. PLEASE DON'T BELIEVE it when they try to tell you these two meds are the same.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 18, 2014 2:28 AM
Review by hopeful2014: User Rating:

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: Day 6 and I'm up at 2am. Maybe the energy is kicking in, I don't know. I suffer from bipolar, anxiety, panic attacks, depression. I usually feel a little manic all the time, but the 2nd day taking this medicine, a calmness came over me. I'm a pack a day smoker, but haven't had or wanted a cigarette from that 2nd day. I'm taking 75mg twice a day, but I think I need to just take it in the morning. I don't feel all energetic but I haven't been taking a nap in the afternoon like usual. And tonight I can't fall asleep...and I take 100mg of trazodone to fall asleep. Also I haven't been on Amazon and Ebay wanting to buy everything I see. I'll see how it goes day by day but I'm very hopeful! By the way...if you are bipolar DO NOT TAKE LEXAPRO!

February 17, 2014 3:42 AM
Review by lex shugar: User Rating:

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: I have been using for less than a month. The only side effects I have experienced are headaches and adverse reactions to alcohol. My depression is better and I have more energy. I am a lot more irritable though. Not part of my personality. The reaction to alcohol sucks because I am a social drinker. Wine= metallic taste in my mouth. Beer= headaches within an hour. Liquor= nausea and feeling the urge to vomit. I hope this goes away along with the headaches. I am scheduled for a follow up with the doctor to discuss my progress. Maybe there is a recommendation for headache. Forgot to mention my appetite is more balanced and my libido is back to normal. Both a positive!

February 16, 2014 10:32 PM
Review by speerjam2000: User Rating:

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: I was on the generic for a while; unfortunately ALL of them didn't help. I switched over the the brand name 6 days ago and am experiencing less side effects so far and just feeling better overall. There is a big difference for me. I was able to find that the manufacturer has a program where the most you pay is $50 a month. I was lucky, they called my insurance and my copay is ZERO. There is definitely something going on with this and I am sure the manufacturer of the brand name is reimbursing the insurance companies somehow. Either way; my opinion : NO GENERIC FOR ANY WELLBUTRIN.

February 16, 2014 5:55 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: I started taking Wellbutrin about two weeks ago. The first week was fine, but on the second week my blood pressure became elevated along with uncontrollable muscle tremors, trouble concentrating, overheating in my face, difficulty concentration and speaking, dry mouth, sweating, and headaches. I had to quit taking it.

February 13, 2014 5:17 PM
Review by No more SAD (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

bupropion for Seasonal Affective Disorder: I have been affected by Seasonal Affective Disorder since I was in high school. For the last 10 years the winter would literally cause me to become a different person. Finally I got the courage to talk to my doctor and was put on Wellbutrin XL in July, well before the winter months. It has truly been a lifesaver. This is the first winter in 10 years where my mood has not changed at all from how I was in the summer months. I would give this medicine 100 stars if I could.

February 12, 2014 1:21 AM
Review by TeeLee (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Zyban (bupropion) for Smoking Cessation: I smoked from age 15 to 50, up to 3 packs a day. I quit many times and suffered greatly. Plan 2: Decrease number of cigarettes a day, then quit. I decreased to 10-12 a day for about 10 months. Started Zyban and quit 7 days later. Went to Las Vegas of all places and all the smoking didn't tempt me. I am now 66 and haven't had a smoke since.

February 8, 2014 2:25 PM
Review by nebMN (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder a few years ago. I've tried basically all SSRI anti-depressants. They did nothing for me other then make sex impossible and gave me leg tremors as well as massive weight gain. I switched to Wellbutrin and my sex drive is back to normal my weight is dropping and I feel a lot better. I recommend this medicine to anyone struggling with SSRI's and their many side effects.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 7, 2014 9:25 PM
Review by KWJ: User Rating:

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: I started taking Wellbutrin about 3 weeks ago for depression. I had been on Zoloft for the past 6 years and needed a change. After the switch, I was more irritable. Three days ago, I developed hives and swollen lips. After my 2nd ER visit, I am back on Zoloft.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 3, 2014 5:22 PM
Review by Pinkin (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion) for Depression: I started Wellbutrin SR just last week. I feel 90% better already. Previously I was taking Zoloft and after a year and a half I felt sluggish, tired, hopeless, and just plain blah. I now don't have constant worrying, it helps withy OCD, and the things that bothered me before have just become basically no big deal to me. I happier, I focus much better? And my spirits are brighter than they have been in months!!!

January 30, 2014 12:10 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion) for Depression: I felt it working in a couple of days and I felt great! The depression lifted and I felt so much more energy, no more crying and actually wanted to do things! There is depression that runs in my family and I also feel like it happens more seasonally in the winter. However, after a week of taking it, I developed an allergic reaction and broke out in hives on my legs. This is the first allergy I've ever had! Had to stop taking it due to the reaction and now I've been put on Pristiq...we will see how things go.

January 30, 2014 8:49 AM
Review by JohnHalo (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

bupropion for Depression: I have been using Bupropion for 13 years and it worked better than any other antidepressant I have tried. However, as it happens it is not working nearly so effectively. The last 6 months and my doctor is having me also take Celexa to augment it. It does seem to cause a decrease in libido and sexual performance. I had no other noticeable side effects. But overall it worked well for me taking 100 mg twice daily for over a decade so I rate it highly.

January 28, 2014 4:08 PM
Review by carlos dejesus (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: I can't say enough positive about this medicine. It's the type of medicine that saves marriages. With that said I got the rare side effect of pulmonary embolism. I am now on blood thinners to counteract this because I function so well on this medicine.

January 28, 2014 12:12 PM