User Reviews for Bupropion

Also known as: Aplenzin, Budeprion, Budeprion SR, Budeprion XL, Buproban, Forfivo XL, Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban

Learn more about Bupropion.

Seasonal Affective Disorder 5 reviews 2 medications

Dysthymia 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Bupropion reviews 582 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Bupropion

Review by Weiner123:

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: I feel great and it has been only 3 days. I have battled with Major Depressive Disorder and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder starting treatment in 2006. When I came back to States I was in 4 hospitals for months treated by the best on 7-10 different medications at different times. I had ECT etc. For me all the medications did not do a thing for me but get suicidal thoughts and gained 60 pounds. One antidepressant medicine I was on for a few years was Lexapro. I was in Aruba and wanted to die. Through much thought and discussion, I weaned off of all the antidepressants. After 8 years just last week a Doctor said I never have been on Wellbutrin and put me on it. I have for the last few months been really down and out. Immediately I feel better. Took only 8 years. And wasted time in Hospital & ECT.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 11, 2014 2:43 PM

Review by Winfield blue 25s (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zyban (bupropion) for Smoking Cessation: I'm 21 years old and I used to smoke 25 a day for 3 years. When I first started taking Zyban I honestly wasn't sure if I wanted to quit or keep smoking but I thought why not try! For the first 8-10 days my morning dose made very nauseous and feel like I was either going to vomit or faint but I never did. since I set my quit date with zyban I have never touched a cigarette since and it has been 6 months now. the only caution I would like to share is that it only takes away the cravings ! You still have to say no too having a cigarette.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 29, 2014 5:33 AM

Review by ddeeddee86:

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: I started this 4 weeks ago. I was originally on Paxil but I was tired of its side effects. My doctor switched me to Wellbutrin after also trying Cipralex, Effexor and Zoloft. It works great. I had almost no side effects when I started it (I did with every other medicine). It does increase anxiety for me though. Wellbutrin gives me more energy and makes me feel alive again. Because of the energy, I work out now which helps counter act the anxiety. It did not increase my sex drive BUT it made me normal. (Paxil made it so I wouldn't even let my husband touch me). I have lost the weight that Paxil made me gain and then some! I would recommend it to people for sure but if you have bad anxiety like I do, try being really active as well.

August 28, 2014 10:24 PM

Review by Lizzrrd (taken for 10 years or more):

For Smoking Cessation: If you are having trouble sleeping make sure you take it early in the morning. It gives me a slight energy boost. If you take it twice a day ask your doctor for a bigger dosage for once a day in the morning. I take 300 mg XL when I wake up and it is fabulous. . Good luck. I suffer depression so I have taken it for a long time with no relapse.

August 28, 2014 1:16 PM

Review by Always Depressed:

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: I have been taking Wellbutrin for 10 months. I had 6 migraines in the first 10 days, but then the headaches stopped. I also had dry mouth for about a week when I started taking the 300 milligram tablet. After that, no side effects at all. Unfortunately, I have had no positive effects either. I feel as though I am taking a sugar pill. I am still dysthimic all the time and have had several depressive episodes lasting weeks since beginning this medication. I agreed to take it for a year, buy I don't see any improvement at all.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 28, 2014 8:34 AM

Review by felinechar (taken for less than 1 month):

For Smoking Cessation: Love this, no mouth sores, or ulcers like Wellbutrin gave me. I COMPLETELY QUIT SMOKING...this works.

August 22, 2014 8:29 PM

Review by Tinwest (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: I took Wellbutrin for about 8 years, it was wonderful, kept me motivated, optimistic, helped me lose a bunch of weight but I think it caused my tinnitus so I'm switching to Prozac.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 19, 2014 2:49 PM

Review by elcalvito:

For Depression: Have been on this for a week, severe headaches and difficult to sleep. Have faith I will improve mood and depression state, but still waiting for those effects. I find the lack of sleep is difficult to deal with.

August 17, 2014 9:08 AM

Review by Slee76 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zyban (bupropion) for Smoking Cessation: I've been taking bupropion for just over a month as per my doctor. She told me that it was important that my moods stabilize before I have a quit date. On my quit date 4 days ago I continued taking it and using a daily Nicoderm patch with a Nicoderm inhaler for break throughs. I am 4 days smoke free, something I have not been able to say in the 23 years since I first started smoking. I never lasted a day without smokes no matter how intense the plan. This combination is amazing and I have never felt better.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 15, 2014 10:51 PM

Review by Jruffin (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for : I never really want to share an experience about a medicine but honestly this is an awesome medicine. I was never depressed but I had pretty bad anxiety when it came to taking tests and I had trouble focusing and remembering things and I am only 20. After taking this for a week I started to wake up early and feel energized throughout the day. I felt great at work, remembering tasks and being really nice and helpful to customers. I've been on it for almost a month now but I feel like it's lost it's effect on me just a little. I've asked to be bumped up to 300 mg. I hope it works.

August 12, 2014 12:53 PM

Review by Autonomous Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: I relied on these reviews when I first started meds, so wanted to share my experience. I have been on Wellbutrin XL 300mg for about 2.5 years with extremely positive results. This is the first antidepressant I have ever taken, and I have been much better on it. No more falling through emotional thin ice 20+ times a day, no more crying, and hardly any negative thinking. Started on 150xl for about 1.5-2 months then up to 300XL. Experienced almost no side effects -- only a few occasional strange headaches in the beginning Only side effect is constipation, which can mostly be mitigated with fiber and good eating. Exercise is still a must for me to feel O.K. Before, post gym I would go from -6 to 1 or 2. Now with Meds I go from 3/4 to a 9/10

August 12, 2014 11:24 AM

Review by isssarose (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: I am bi-polar and have been on Lamictal for 5 years but I was still having issues with depression so my doctor suggested Wellbutrin SR. The first 3 weeks I was on it I wasn't impressed and thought about discontinuing it. I was spacey and had horrible headaches. But I'm so glad I gave it a chance. Started to feel less depressed after a month of taking it and I'm in my 4th month and I still have my moments but overall my outlook on life is much more positive. I also hoped it would help me quit smoking and lose weight. Only the later happened but still quitting smoking is pretty awesome. I've tried so many things to quit and nothing helped until this. I'm still not at 100% but still a big improvement. I totally recommend this.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 9, 2014 2:43 AM

Review by am49 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: It's effective, and the side effects aren't that bad. Pros: - It works. - Hasn't caused weight gain. Cons: - I've noticed that since I started taking it my body temperature has been higher than normal, even if I'm not sick. - A few times it's made me act hyper. Not sure why, but my psychiatrist said I should be fine. Doesn't happen very often anymore. Notes: - Not to be taken by people with Bipolar disorder. If your doctor prescribes you this, make sure they are aware you're bipolar. Would I recommend? Yes.

August 8, 2014 5:16 PM

Review by ChuckString (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zyban (bupropion) for Smoking Cessation: Quit using Zyban over 29 years ago. Quitting with Zyban was the easiest thing to do. Tried to quit by ALL of the other methods without success. All I did was follow the directions faithfully and changed my routing for the first morning only. I never looked back or had those ghost cravings. I found I was able to have the occasional cigar without issue. TOTALLY recommend this method... Weaned myself off Zyban by just forgetting to take the meds more frequently as time went on.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 1, 2014 5:31 PM

Review by ohio.mom (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: Does not seem to help much. Doctor is reluctant to prescribe something different. Viibryd worked very well but I can't afford the copay.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 31, 2014 9:13 AM

Review by Anonymousq (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I have been on bupropion for about 10 weeks now, beginning with one tablet and then moving to 2. I'm uncertain if it's had any effect. I might go off it to see how different I feel. It certainly doesn't appear to have worked magic for me. I'm on a SSRI and have been for years. I tried bupropion in addition to that, to add with the depression and lack of motivation etc. it appears to have worked well for others, but I'm unsure if it has had any effect on me.

July 28, 2014 9:42 PM

Review by NervousJack (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: I was prescribed Bupropion as an alternative to my usual Lexapro at the beginning of an "episode". I was probably more anxious than depressed. I was a little concerned because Bupropion is not specifically an anti-anxiety medication. Bupropion was an instant pickup and boosts libido. The boost did not last and I started to get very anxious and somewhat depressed after the first week. I eventually had to start back on the Lexapro. I don't think Bupropion is a very effective anxiety medication and it is not generally prescribed for that purpose. I did find very few side effects compared to the sweating, loss of libido and weight gain of Lexapro. I am presently tapering off. I have some issues with insomnia and Bupropion may not help.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 22, 2014 2:00 PM

Review by Katherys (taken for less than 1 month):

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: I am on Day 3 and I am starting to notice some if not all of the effects. My mood is stabilising and I am finding my motivation returning to me. I need it for when I get into my doctoral program! I can find pleasure in things I enjoy again. I don't have overtly pessimistic and sad thoughts as much. I'm not crying as much. Before I started taking this medicine I was not at rock bottom, but I did not want to feel like awful anymore. Depression is a real disease. The medications do help.

July 20, 2014 3:01 AM

Review by HyperNP (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For ADHD: I tried Wellbutrin XL 300mg per day because I was worried about long term side effects of Adderall. It's been 2 months and so far so good. I'm not as focused but still pretty close. Only down fall is I can't fall asleep as well as I did with Adderall and I urinate like crazy. But I say the risks and side effects are less than with Adderall. I am happy this worked. After years of amphetamine type medicines I thought I was stuck. But this medicine is great. I hope it continues to work. Some background , I have had ADHD since childhood and now am in my thirties. I work full time as an NP, wife and mother of 3. As a medical provider I am greatly appreciative of this medicine, with less long term adverse side effects.

July 14, 2014 9:32 PM

Review by 40yroldlady:

For Major Depressive Disorder: I wish I would have taken medicines along with counseling maybe 25 yrs ago. It would have helped with my overall success with relationships (thankfully I'm still christian & married with kids) overall accomplishments, education & current employment I started a year ago 50mg Zoloft & 100mg of bupropion I couldn't tolerate the side effects (insomnia, heart racing, more depressed & maybe more) at the time I started a few months after with 12.5mg Zoloft and it completely changed my life for the better after a few days of mild side effects. I continued a month later along with 25mg bupropion after a few days of mild side effects I felt even better! I've eased my way to 25mg Zoloft & 200 mg bupropion & I'm in the middle of mild side effects and I feel better than ever!

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 13, 2014 12:14 PM

Review by debsza (taken for less than 1 month):

Zyban (bupropion) for Smoking Cessation: I have been taking it for 1 week...I get headaches and agitation, abit dizzy. I was debating wheather to stop taking it...but I will try a few more days. Will this go away as I continue!!

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 12, 2014 10:03 PM

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: Really helped me recover from a horrid depression. This medication saved my life. It is a bit activating. At higher doses works as a great smoking cessation aid. LOVE IT.

July 8, 2014 2:29 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: I was started on 100 mg of Wellbutrin in January, initially did not note much of a mood alteration other then feeling more energetic. I was upped to 200 mg, and I had never felt better in my entire life. I started performing great in school, had a high energy level and motivation. I was happy and felt good. I lost initially 5 pounds and now I lost a total of 20 in three months (note I also was attempting to lose weight). The only side effects I experienced were hot flashes the first week I took 200 mg which was odd but manageable. Also I had insanely vivid dreams. Recently upped to 300 mg, and I feel manic. It is bizarre, this amazing medicine now does not work, my doc said I may possibly have bipolar depression, So I still highly recommend.

July 5, 2014 1:39 AM

Review by jay1367 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: I have battled with Bipolar, depression for many years. And all my problems peaked now that I'm back from Afghanistan. Been on many different medicines through the years. I started taking Wellbutrin approximately 3 weeks ago. And it is now starting to take effect. The only reason it didn't get a higher score from me is because the medication just started to kick in and its not at its full effect. I work as a paramedic and have also dealt with many people with everything from bipolar to schizophrenia. Anyone that's been in this situation know that there is initial effects but the people who say it is working after a day or two are experiencing a placebo effect. These medicines affect chemicals in your brain. Therefore take time to take full effect.

July 3, 2014 11:03 PM

Review by Wally Digital (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: Pros: - 14 days on it and haven't THOUGHT about eating(lost 29 pounds). - haven't thought of smoking a cig. - I'm suddenly outgoing and happy. The Cons: - have not slept more than 3 hours for 14 days. - I am severely on edge from day 9-14. Had a panic attack going to work and yesterday was foaming at the mouth in a road rage incident where I became almost homicidal. For a minute, I thought I found a miracle, but I realized today that I can't handle this extra anxiety. Supposedly it goes away after a few weeks, but I don't think I can handle a few more weeks of this.

July 3, 2014 4:31 AM