User Reviews for Bupropion

Also known as: Aplenzin, Budeprion, Budeprion SR, Budeprion XL, Buproban, Forfivo XL, Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban

Learn more about Bupropion.

Major Depressive Disorder 8 reviews 44 medications

Dysthymia 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Bupropion reviews 565 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Bupropion

Review by HyperNP (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For ADHD: I tried Wellbutrin XL 300mg per day because I was worried about long term side effects of Adderall. It's been 2 months and so far so good. I'm not as focused but still pretty close. Only down fall is I can't fall asleep as well as I did with Adderall and I urinate like crazy. But I say the risks and side effects are less than with Adderall. I am happy this worked. After years of amphetamine type medicines I thought I was stuck. But this medicine is great. I hope it continues to work. Some background , I have had ADHD since childhood and now am in my thirties. I work full time as an NP, wife and mother of 3. As a medical provider I am greatly appreciative of this medicine, with less long term adverse side effects.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 14, 2014 9:32 PM

Review by 40yroldlady:

For Major Depressive Disorder: I wish I would have taken medicines along with counseling maybe 25 yrs ago. It would have helped with my overall success with relationships (thankfully I'm still christian & married with kids) overall accomplishments, education & current employment I started a year ago 50mg Zoloft & 100mg of bupropion I couldn't tolerate the side effects (insomnia, heart racing, more depressed & maybe more) at the time I started a few months after with 12.5mg Zoloft and it completely changed my life for the better after a few days of mild side effects. I continued a month later along with 25mg bupropion after a few days of mild side effects I felt even better! I've eased my way to 25mg Zoloft & 200 mg bupropion & I'm in the middle of mild side effects and I feel better than ever!

July 13, 2014 12:14 PM

Review by debsza (taken for less than 1 month):

Zyban (bupropion) for Smoking Cessation: I have been taking it for 1 week...I get headaches and agitation, abit dizzy. I was debating wheather to stop taking it...but I will try a few more days. Will this go away as I continue!!

July 12, 2014 10:03 PM

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: Really helped me recover from a horrid depression. This medication saved my life. It is a bit activating. At higher doses works as a great smoking cessation aid. LOVE IT.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 8, 2014 2:29 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: I was started on 100 mg of Wellbutrin in January, initially did not note much of a mood alteration other then feeling more energetic. I was upped to 200 mg, and I had never felt better in my entire life. I started performing great in school, had a high energy level and motivation. I was happy and felt good. I lost initially 5 pounds and now I lost a total of 20 in three months (note I also was attempting to lose weight). The only side effects I experienced were hot flashes the first week I took 200 mg which was odd but manageable. Also I had insanely vivid dreams. Recently upped to 300 mg, and I feel manic. It is bizarre, this amazing medicine now does not work, my doc said I may possibly have bipolar depression, So I still highly recommend.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 5, 2014 1:39 AM

Review by jay1367 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: I have battled with Bipolar, depression for many years. And all my problems peaked now that I'm back from Afghanistan. Been on many different medicines through the years. I started taking Wellbutrin approximately 3 weeks ago. And it is now starting to take effect. The only reason it didn't get a higher score from me is because the medication just started to kick in and its not at its full effect. I work as a paramedic and have also dealt with many people with everything from bipolar to schizophrenia. Anyone that's been in this situation know that there is initial effects but the people who say it is working after a day or two are experiencing a placebo effect. These medicines affect chemicals in your brain. Therefore take time to take full effect.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 3, 2014 11:03 PM

Review by Wally Digital (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: Pros: - 14 days on it and haven't THOUGHT about eating(lost 29 pounds). - haven't thought of smoking a cig. - I'm suddenly outgoing and happy. The Cons: - have not slept more than 3 hours for 14 days. - I am severely on edge from day 9-14. Had a panic attack going to work and yesterday was foaming at the mouth in a road rage incident where I became almost homicidal. For a minute, I thought I found a miracle, but I realized today that I can't handle this extra anxiety. Supposedly it goes away after a few weeks, but I don't think I can handle a few more weeks of this.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 3, 2014 4:31 AM

Review by R3 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Smoking Cessation: Started 5 days before my quit date, today is my 23rd day smoke free. First week I did experience a spaced out feeling at times and increased desire to stay busy- that has leveled off and I feel completely normal. Cravings tough during 1st week, but staying busy helped. Woke up several times in the night but fell right back to sleep- I take 150mg twice a day...first at 5 am second 8 hrs later, never had a hard time falling asleep. Constipation still an issue and hoping that eases. No decrease or difference in appetite/weight. Cravings now maybe 2 per day and don't last long. Would recommend, but you must want to quit.

June 25, 2014 9:09 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: I've been taking Wellbutrin 150 SR every morning for 3 weeks now. I was on Zoloft for quite a while and experienced sexual side effects. I was willing to try something different and Wellbutrin seemed to have a good history of not affecting sexual drive. I've continued to go downhill since starting the Wellbutrin. I have no energy, feel the need to withdraw from interaction with people, feel unsteady at times, have depressing thoughts, and feel moments of sadness and start crying. I can't wait to be weaned of this.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 24, 2014 12:17 PM

Review by rouxball (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion) for Depression: I have been on bupropion for a month. I have lost the sadness, obsessive dark thoughts and have more energy and less aches and pains. I felt a little weird taking it a first( mild headache, taste in my mouth) but those have gone. This is great stuff and feel hopeful and focused. I am not snappy and withdrawn from my spouse.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 22, 2014 6:16 PM

Review by muchbetter79 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: I was in a bad car accident 3 years ago and it tore up my already injured back. At first I relied on Cymbalta and narcotics to get through the pain. The narcotics lifted my mood and the Cymbalta did help with all other pain. Eventually the narcotic I was on (lortab) stopped working all together. I'm not a big fan of opiates for pain relief and would not have taken them had it not been my only choice to feel normal. (I couldnt even sit in my car for more than 15 mins without searing nerve pain).I accidently stumbled on a review that said Wellbutrin also helped with back pain. It has been the best thing that's happened to me. It has replaced both meds and I feel great! Cymbalta was horrible to come off of, Lortab not so much but think I was just lucky.

June 22, 2014 1:05 PM

Review by Lyla Lexie:

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder in 2006. My depression comes in cycles, but I take this medication every day. I was on Zoloft for about 3 years off and on and gained about 30 pounds, was tired all the time, and had some discouraging sexual side effects to top everything off. I did my research and discovered Wellbutrin, which other people said was more stimulating and had no sexual side effects. I asked my doctor if I could switch and started tapering off Zoloft while starting 150 mgs of Wellbutrin. My doctor upped the dose to 300 mgs and I had never been happier! It has drastically changed my life. Lost weight and can get up in the morning without being a total grouch. I only gave it a 9 because of the cost.

June 17, 2014 3:19 PM

Review by HappyDays73:

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: I started taking Wellbutrin 150mg one week ago. I suffer from mild depression, but I feel like I am going through a rough patch in my marriage/life and needed something to change. I exercise regularly, own a business and sleep well, but just didn't have that "get up and go" that I felt others had. So, my doctor had given me a prescription for Lexapro that had horrible side effects right off the bat. Heartburn, insomnia, and this kind of stressed out feeling that made me VERY uncomfortable. My doc gave me a new prescription for Wellbutrin and I take it the moment I wake up each morning. I feel Happy, Energetic and Ready to tackle the day. No insomnia, but I do have a reduced appetite. This may be just the ticket!

June 16, 2014 7:28 PM

Review by qlwaysmandi (taken for 10 years or more):

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion) for Depression: Wonderful for me! I have increased energy, able to work and generally FEEL better. Downside-occasional insomnia. Drink lots of water, you will feel very thirsty. I highly recommend this antidepressant.

June 13, 2014 11:04 PM

Review by Lizzarrd:

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: Cipralex seemed to be my lifeline for the first 4 yrs....the last 4 years was another story. It seemed to have really assisted with my sluggish, tired and empty feelings. I actually felt so consumed with depression and anxiety and stress over weight-gain this last year. Now, against my doctors wishes I have weaned myself off 20mg in a month. I've asked her to help wean me off numerous times. Instead, I would be told its not the right time....ie: going through divorce, custody battle, deaths in the family or financial hardships. So I put up my dukes and went for it. Mind you, she added Wellbutrin to my mornings 9 months ago. I am positive that it has helped with my withdrawal symptoms. A big cry baby...but I'm sure that will settle itself.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 13, 2014 9:51 PM

Review by Frody:

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: So far, so good but only been on this medication for a week.

June 12, 2014 8:14 PM

Review by Vett66 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: Was very depressed and hadn't slept in 4 days. Was diagnosed with manic depression and insomnia. Was put on Wellbutrin XL and trazodone for sleep. They both have been a miracle for me. No side effects from either except for dry mouth.

June 9, 2014 10:26 AM

Review by winningatlife (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: Wellbutrin is amazing. Prior to Wellbutrin I was put on Zoloft, Prozac and Valdoxan, all which either killed my sex drive, did nothing or made me too sleepy to function. For 2 years I stupidly went off medication and just thought everything in life was crap, and probably said somethings I regret to people. Eventually it came to the point where was failing at work and angry at everyone. The ADHD medication I was taking also worsened my depression. Come Wellbutrin, I have been on it for around two months and I feel great. I have energy, more motivation, increased libido and I feel content, although I still get the moments. Also I have lost more than 5 pounds without dieting or exercising.

June 5, 2014 12:09 PM

Review by Lala83:

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: Added this on along with my Cymbalta 60mg & Abilify 1mg. Took 150mg per day for 2 weeks until I realized I had major suicidal thoughts and ideation. Just out of nowhere. Immediately discontinued and felt better in 2-3 days. Beware of sudden mood changes please! The only good thing about this medicine is that it absolutely kills your appetite- lost 13lbs in 2 weeks. Not worth dying over though- sanity before vanity!

June 4, 2014 11:42 PM

Review by HannahBananaParker:

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: I've never felt compelled to write a review for a medication before, but Wellbutrin XL saved my life. I suffered from chronic depression for years before I started taking Wellbutrin and within weeks it was as if the rain stopped and there's nothing but clear blue skies and sunshine since. Seriously. I cannot say enough good things about this medicine. The great thing about Wellbutrin (I take 150 MG) is that it doesn't make you feel zombie-like at all. I feel like a brighter, happier version of myself. I also take 150 MG of Lamictal, which has also significantly helped as well. I highly recommend these medications to anyone suffering from bipolar depression. They have done wonders.

June 1, 2014 6:05 PM

Review by Mary255:

For Bipolar Disorder: Started taking in 2007, weaned down to approximately 60 mg. per day (average). Has been the best antidepressant thus far, way better than Paxil, Zoloft and Prozac. Fewer side effects, and manages my mood disorder.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 28, 2014 10:36 PM

Review by sanac (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: I started taking Wellbutrin XL 150mg once a day for the first two weeks, back in November. At first I noticed a slight change in my mood. the dr. bumped me up to 300mg once a day. I have gotten a lot better now, not depressed, angry, sad all the time. Also before I started taking this I was having awful anxiety attacks to the point where I`d black out and wake up vomiting, I was losing a ton of weight because I was so depressed I had no appetite. Although I haven`t experienced weight gain with this medication I still don`t have much of an appetite but I have gone back to my normal weight. Drinking while taking this makes the alcohol affect you a lot quicker than usual, also causes me to black out 98% of the time.

May 26, 2014 5:58 PM

Review by Christar (taken for less than 1 month):

For Major Depressive Disorder: I have been on antidepressants since getting out of the military in 2005. I've tried every pill possible. I take Cymbalta for my Major Depressive Disorder (MDD) and Wellbutrin for MDD and Anxiety, well I just started taking the Wellbutrin this is my 3rd week and I've noticed that I feel more energetic and it's improved my mood. I feel that Wellbutrin has improved my mood more than my other medicines. The only bad thing about it is that if you take it late in the day it will make you restless that's why I take it in the mornings otherwise I would've rated it a 10.

May 20, 2014 3:23 PM

Review by McLovin17734 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: I tried a couple different SSRI's and found that most of them gave me bad side effects and made me feel empty, so when I heard about Wellbutrin I asked my doctor if I could try it. It's one of the few that also doesn't give you a decreased sex drive. I was a bit scared after hearing some of the negative reviews, but this medication works wonders for me. I have had no side effects at all and within a day I started feeling better. I would recommend this to anyone who hasn't had luck with SSRI's.

May 20, 2014 1:27 AM

Review by anutterblonde (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I was on Celexa but still felt depressed (I have anxiety as well and Celexa was taking care of that), so I was prescribed bupropion. I was on 150mg and felt no change, so my psychiatrist had me drop the Celexa completely and take 300mg of Wellbutrin. I reacted badly to dropping the Celexa and had the worst anxiety of my life for two days. He put me back on the Celexa with the Wellbutrin, but I never felt a change. So, off of it I went.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate