User Reviews for Bupropion

Also known as: Aplenzin, Budeprion, Budeprion SR, Budeprion XL, Buproban, Forfivo XL, Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban

Learn more about Bupropion.

Seasonal Affective Disorder 9 reviews 2 medications

6.6
Dysthymia 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Bupropion reviews 731 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Bupropion

Zyban (bupropion) for Smoking Cessation: "Do not take this drug. My husband took this to help with smoking cessation. During the entire time, he had bad dreams, but during the fifth week he dreamed he was jumping off a boat, jumped off the bed and crashed to the floor, fracturing his left shoulder and badly bruising his left hip. After four days of extensive testing in the hospital, the doctors concluded the "fall" was from Zyban. Terrible terrible pain and very scary."

Anonymous Wife of smoker (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 25, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "im 19 they put me on this originally for anxiety but apparently im bipolar according to the psych evaluation test. The first day on it i basically felt "high" since then Ive felt pretty great. I also take Gabapentin(for fibromyalgia) and prozac."

sparksrus (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 24, 2015

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "I've been on Prozac for about 20 years and it's been a lot of help but at age 68 I found myself wanting to nap a lot more and my motivation decreasing. I switched to Wellbutrin and once the therapeutic dose was established I began to feel better within a week or two. I feel more energetic and yet more composed and at ease. I'm very pleased with this drug, not the least because my sex life has returned. I think my life would have been different if I'd started it 20 years ago."

graphicsgeezer (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 16, 2015

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: "Been on depression meds for many years, specifically Celexa 20mg, Wellbutrin XL 150, Lamictal (brand name) 150mg for bipolar disorder. Lately feeling like I cry easily, got agitated easily and stressed out if trying to do too many things at once. If someone upset me it would take days to come out of the dark cloud of depression/sadness. Finally went back to my doc a week ago and he upped my Wellbutrin XL to 300mg. I feel great but only negative is that it is keeping me from sleeping through the night, only on day 5. Doc said to take it early in the morning like 7 am since later can keep you up. Feel less distracted, more focused but still a little "edgy"/anxious & hope that will get better."

Nannydoglover June 9, 2015

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "I spent a lot of time reading reviews and it took me awhile to even start the medication but I finally said screw it I'll try it. After reading the reviews most people said they felt better almost right away so after 2 months when I still wasn't feeling great I started to get nervous. Then 3 months approached and I started crying less and less and I actually got excited to do things again and by 4 months I feel great!! I'm so glad I stuck with it. If your depression is bad this really can take up to 3 months but don't give up! I did have to take buspar with it because I'm just naturally an anxious person and that helped with my anxiety and to balance it out. I now take 100mg of bupropion in am and 100mg in afternoon and it's just enough!"

Tay1313 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 9, 2015

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: "I was afraid to take Wellbutrin at first but my anxiety and emotions were out of control so I decided to give it a try. This is my first antidepressant med and on day one I notice a feeling of calmness. I had no emotional upsets. Now I am on day 4 and I haven't cried at all. I sometimes find myself dazing off in space though with nothing on my mind. I sleep through the night and my appetite is back. I drink plenty water throughout the day. I went to get a pedicure and my legs were shaky for some reason. But overall so far so good I feel a lot better and looking forward to brighter days!!!"

Anna82 (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2015

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: "Others have warned abut this but DO NOT TAKE IF YOU HAVE ANXIETY ISSUES. I took this for two weeks at 150mg. First week was fine, felt blunted emotionally a bit which was not necessarily a bad thing. Around day 11 I started having bad anxiety about 10 hours after dosage and I felt sore and worn out. It was unbearable, I did this for 3 days more before quitting. I contacted my Dr who said I did the right thing. THEN I was emotionally in pain for a few days and weeping about every hour. I felt raw, like I had not skin to protect me. They say wellbutrin is easy to drop well I don't know...it might be because of my anxiety but I feel a lot worse now then I did before taking it."

Ariel M. June 7, 2015

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion) for Depression: "I started at 100mg and the first few weeks I felt really amazing for the first time in my life. After the fourth week or so, I switched to the 150mg because I had found that the initial euphoria had worn off and I thought that it had lost its efficacy. The higher dose was too strong for me so I switched back and have been on the 100mg since. I do not have the same dark cycles that I used to, and though I still feel depressed at times, it is not nearly as often as before, and the episodes are manageable. I am not feeling chronic hopelessness nor paranoid or defensive. It does not feel like I am 'medicated' while on this. I am not experiencing many side effects (just more intense dreams, and some minor constipation)."

yesteryear (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 7, 2015

For Depression: "It seemed to help with depression and anxiety, but nausea started a couple days in and lasted several weeks after ending (I was told nausea could be a withdrawal effect as well) that I wish I never had the experience."

thirty June 1, 2015

For ADHD: "I'm a 40-something mom and was just recently diagnosed with executive function issues. My doctor thought this might help me with focus issues. I had to stop taking after 2 douse. I felt light headed and like I wanted to jump out of my skin. When I stopped, I felt exhausted and got a major headache. I'm glad the medication works for some but it definitely didn't work for me."

Mom of two in 40s May 30, 2015

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: "I've been on Wellbutrin for 6 months now for anxiety and depression and I feel AMAZING.... I've lost 30lbs and still losing. Not through any actual work on my part. I just find that I'm not as hungry. I'm full of energy every morning and it last all day. I've also noticed an insane increase in Libido and I've easily kicked some bad habits without really trying..... Like biting my nails.... Just doesn't happen anymore. I also don't have any desire for alcohol or cigarettes. For once in my life since starting this long road of anti-depressants, I FINALLY feel like this is the one for me. The only negative side effects I have noticed is my chest/neck stays flush and I really do have to remind myself to eat."

AunnieD (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 29, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I'm 52 and have had depression my entire life. Years ago tried Wellbutrin with no effect. Had a genetic test which indicated this medicine should work; however, I must take L - tyrosine with it because I can't convert phenylalanine to tyrosine on my own. This makes dopamine which wellbutrin then uptakes. For the first time ever I can hang my clothes up and not be cluttered, I don't leave cabinet doors open or a trail from where I have been. My appetite has normalized where I feel satiated with a modest meal. I am a slow metabolizer so 300mg XL is too much, I had to go to 150mg. The genetic test also showed I don't convert B12 very well but store it so I take Cerefolin NAC for a special prescribed kind that is helping energy."

KerrBear 52 (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2015

For Depression: "I had major depression and had difficulty concentrating on simple tasks (even with studies). However after taking bupropion I felt the difference: clear mind, better concentration. I started with bupropion 150 SR then increased to 300 XL. Soon after I started having hallucination (heard voices), so my psychiatrist prescribed me Ziprasidone and lowered Bupropion dosage to 150/day. It's been couple of days since I started taking ziprasidone, seems like I stopped hallucinating. Everything went back to a normal life again."

tinawell (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 26, 2015

For Anxiety: "As a college student, I felt like I needed some support to get me through difficult times that I couldn't do myself for a number of reasons. I tried meditation and relaxation but to no prevail. My twin has been on Lexapro for years now, so I went to my PCP to try Lexapro. It was not helpful at all - it made me want to chain smoke, when I drank it was not a pretty combo, and I was constantly tired. When I got on Wellbutrin starting out at 150mg, it's like I finally saw the light. Everything has just been so much better! I can concentrate better, I'm almost always in a good mood, and I haven't had any huge issues with anxiety. Now I've been on 300mg for almost a month, so we'll see how this goes!"

Anonymous May 22, 2015

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: "Update: checking in on week 5 at 300mg of generic XL made by Par Pharmacuticals. I can't say enough positive things about this medicine. I have had practically no bad side effects except a slightly more noticible 'ringing' in my ears. It is not bothersome and I only notice it it complete silence. On the plus side is virtually a new outlook on life, absence of any sad or hopeless feelings, reduced anxiety, tons of all day energy, focus, and enthusiasm, increased libido, desired weight loss and a shift in personality. I feel like I did when I was younger and full of hope, plans, and happy to greet the day. My jobs are more fulfilling, relationships improved, confidence restored. People notice! I had no idea I was that depressed. Amazing!"

Vinylfind (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 21, 2015

Zyban (bupropion) for Smoking Cessation: "I wasn't sure if I wanted to quit or not, and the first few days on Zyban weren't great. I was in a horrible mood and was convinced the pills weren't going to do anything. Continued smoking like normal and on the eighth day of taking the meds, I took a few drags and knew it would be my last one. It was like something just clicked in my brain. Have been using zero-nicotine liquid in a vaporizer a few times a day just for the menthol sensation, but other than that I haven't had a cigarette since!"

mrrs2014 May 20, 2015

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion) for Depression: "I've been on Wellbutrin 150mg 2x daily for a month now and the only thing that I've noticed is I'm extreme exhaustion about an hour after I take it. It's quite disheartening after reading so many positive reviews about this drug. My doctor recommended giving it more time to take effect but I'm losing hope."

gigglesquirt (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 14, 2015

For Smoking Cessation: "Well day one of 150mg of wellbutrin and I do feel tired and out of it. My stomach is kind of not feeling right and I notice the taste of cigarettes are different but I'm still smoking a lot. I take it at night when I woke up I felt great now I feel tired,hopefully my body will adjust by the end of the week"

kristin555 May 13, 2015

For Anxiety: "I have only taken the XL for 3 days, I have had some anxiety and take Ativan to get through. I feel more able to focus, complete projects, not so much crying, starting to feel like I can cope with life again. I am working, I would advise people to take a couple days off work when starting just to let the side effects subside. I had sexual dysfunction with Zoloft, so I am hoping that I don't have the same problem with this med."

Review456 (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2015

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "I took welbutrin 300xl for 8 years, but had decreased to 150mg about 2 years ago. I had been doing fine until I forgot my pills on a 4-day vacation. Since it was only 4 days I thought I would be ok, and I was until the evening of the 4th night. A situation occurred that definitely justified me being angry with one person, but I had a meltdown of epic proportions. Epic proportions and no one was safe from it. Again, I would have not been out of line for being angry; the situation unfortunately warranted anger, but I just flat out lost it. Scary. I've been back home and back on meds for 2 days. I still feel like I want to hurt someone, but I'm so exhausted I can barely move. I have no idea how long it will take me to shake this."

forgetfulgirl (taken for 10 years or more) May 12, 2015

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: "Hello all I am a 21 year old female. I started taking Wellbutrin 2 months ago, and I felt a difference within about 2 weeks, and full effect at almost 4 weeks. It was great for a while but it increased my anxiety a lot where I'm not doing the things I used to enjoy, it did help with my depression and energy a ton though and I've gotten more done since I've been on the medication then I have in the last 6 months combined. But to me it isnt worth it, I was on Celexa 8 months ago, and it worked fine..but it made me pretty zombie like. On this medication I feel like theres an elephant sitting on my chest I cant even take my daughters for their after dinner walk because I have such shortness of breath. I am going to ask my doctor for a diff med!"

victoria.2305 May 11, 2015

Zyban (bupropion) for Smoking Cessation: "The first week I had some very brief agitation (day 4) that lasted for about 30 minutes. By the end of the first week, my cravings were nearly gone. I am down to only 1 to 3 uses per day, which is a major reduction for me. I plan to be completely done by day 20. No other side effects. Not feeling any nicotine withdrawal symptoms. I plan to use the Wellbutrin full strength for 1-2 weeks after quitting entirely and then begin the taper process. Amazing product."

Jay4444 (taken for less than 1 month) May 10, 2015

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I got to a point where I was in bed 20 hrs a day, couldn't work etc. Severely depressed .I've battled that all my life but never got on an anti depressant . Wellbutrin along with lexapro 20 MG changed my life. Mainly the wellbutrin as I truly changed when that was added. I'm on 300mg SR. AT first you'll feel jumpy and anxious but give it 3-4 days, week tops, and it'll be incredible I have a new job, I'm traveling. New person."

depressedandstressed (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 9, 2015

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I've had severe depression and increasing anxiety since I was 18 (23 soon going on 24 now!) but was only officially diagnosed last summer, a few months after I graduated college. I started taking Wellbutrin SR in September 2014, and eventually went up to 300 mg x day. At first it just gave me headaches, worsened my chronic insomnia, and gave me an immediate burst of way too much energy. Now I no longer experience any of these effects. One of my biggest issues before was total lack of motivation, but Wellbutrin has fixed this almost entirely. I'm actually able to leave the house now and I finally have a job that I enjoy going to and am actually able to focus on. I really wish I had started taking this sooner, but I'm glad I'm on it now."

orangetoday2313 May 8, 2015

For Anxiety: "I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety and Depression after some very traumatic events. I was first put on Prozac and two months in I knew it wasn't for me. Flatline and impossible to have an orgasm. Next was Remeron which made me so exhausted but helped somewhat with anxiety before bed. My new pdoc suggested Wellbutrin. I did research and was afraid to take it. It sat in my drawer for three months. Things got so bad, I would wake up in dread, crying, worried nonstop, so I started it. 150XL in morning for two weeks. I was completely surprised that I had no side effects and was feeling it almost from day one. It was as if the worry disappeared, replaced by a feeling that everything is going to work out. Up to 300 now, great results."

Vinylfind (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2015