User Reviews for Bupropion

Also known as: Aplenzin, Budeprion, Budeprion SR, Budeprion XL, Buproban, Forfivo XL, Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban

Learn more about Bupropion.

Seasonal Affective Disorder 5 reviews 2 medications

Dysthymia 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Bupropion reviews 575 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Bupropion

Review by elcalvito:

For Depression: Have been on this for a week, severe headaches and difficult to sleep. Have faith I will improve mood and depression state, but still waiting for those effects. I find the lack of sleep is difficult to deal with.

August 17, 2014 9:08 AM

Review by Slee76 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zyban (bupropion) for Smoking Cessation: I've been taking bupropion for just over a month as per my doctor. She told me that it was important that my moods stabilize before I have a quit date. On my quit date 4 days ago I continued taking it and using a daily Nicoderm patch with a Nicoderm inhaler for break throughs. I am 4 days smoke free, something I have not been able to say in the 23 years since I first started smoking. I never lasted a day without smokes no matter how intense the plan. This combination is amazing and I have never felt better.

August 15, 2014 10:51 PM

Review by Jruffin (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for : I never really want to share an experience about a medicine but honestly this is an awesome medicine. I was never depressed but I had pretty bad anxiety when it came to taking tests and I had trouble focusing and remembering things and I am only 20. After taking this for a week I started to wake up early and feel energized throughout the day. I felt great at work, remembering tasks and being really nice and helpful to customers. I've been on it for almost a month now but I feel like it's lost it's effect on me just a little. I've asked to be bumped up to 300 mg. I hope it works.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 12, 2014 12:53 PM

Review by Autonomous Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: I relied on these reviews when I first started meds, so wanted to share my experience. I have been on Wellbutrin XL 300mg for about 2.5 years with extremely positive results. This is the first antidepressant I have ever taken, and I have been much better on it. No more falling through emotional thin ice 20+ times a day, no more crying, and hardly any negative thinking. Started on 150xl for about 1.5-2 months then up to 300XL. Experienced almost no side effects -- only a few occasional strange headaches in the beginning Only side effect is constipation, which can mostly be mitigated with fiber and good eating. Exercise is still a must for me to feel O.K. Before, post gym I would go from -6 to 1 or 2. Now with Meds I go from 3/4 to a 9/10

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 12, 2014 11:24 AM

Review by isssarose (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: I am bi-polar and have been on Lamictal for 5 years but I was still having issues with depression so my doctor suggested Wellbutrin SR. The first 3 weeks I was on it I wasn't impressed and thought about discontinuing it. I was spacey and had horrible headaches. But I'm so glad I gave it a chance. Started to feel less depressed after a month of taking it and I'm in my 4th month and I still have my moments but overall my outlook on life is much more positive. I also hoped it would help me quit smoking and lose weight. Only the later happened but still quitting smoking is pretty awesome. I've tried so many things to quit and nothing helped until this. I'm still not at 100% but still a big improvement. I totally recommend this.

August 9, 2014 2:43 AM

Review by am49 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: It's effective, and the side effects aren't that bad. Pros: - It works. - Hasn't caused weight gain. Cons: - I've noticed that since I started taking it my body temperature has been higher than normal, even if I'm not sick. - A few times it's made me act hyper. Not sure why, but my psychiatrist said I should be fine. Doesn't happen very often anymore. Notes: - Not to be taken by people with Bipolar disorder. If your doctor prescribes you this, make sure they are aware you're bipolar. Would I recommend? Yes.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 8, 2014 5:16 PM

Review by ChuckString (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zyban (bupropion) for Smoking Cessation: Quit using Zyban over 29 years ago. Quitting with Zyban was the easiest thing to do. Tried to quit by ALL of the other methods without success. All I did was follow the directions faithfully and changed my routing for the first morning only. I never looked back or had those ghost cravings. I found I was able to have the occasional cigar without issue. TOTALLY recommend this method... Weaned myself off Zyban by just forgetting to take the meds more frequently as time went on.

August 1, 2014 5:31 PM

Review by ohio.mom (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: Does not seem to help much. Doctor is reluctant to prescribe something different. Viibryd worked very well but I can't afford the copay.

July 31, 2014 9:13 AM

Review by Anonymousq (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I have been on bupropion for about 10 weeks now, beginning with one tablet and then moving to 2. I'm uncertain if it's had any effect. I might go off it to see how different I feel. It certainly doesn't appear to have worked magic for me. I'm on a SSRI and have been for years. I tried bupropion in addition to that, to add with the depression and lack of motivation etc. it appears to have worked well for others, but I'm unsure if it has had any effect on me.

July 28, 2014 9:42 PM

Review by NervousJack (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: I was prescribed Bupropion as an alternative to my usual Lexapro at the beginning of an "episode". I was probably more anxious than depressed. I was a little concerned because Bupropion is not specifically an anti-anxiety medication. Bupropion was an instant pickup and boosts libido. The boost did not last and I started to get very anxious and somewhat depressed after the first week. I eventually had to start back on the Lexapro. I don't think Bupropion is a very effective anxiety medication and it is not generally prescribed for that purpose. I did find very few side effects compared to the sweating, loss of libido and weight gain of Lexapro. I am presently tapering off. I have some issues with insomnia and Bupropion may not help.

July 22, 2014 2:00 PM

Review by Katherys (taken for less than 1 month):

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: I am on Day 3 and I am starting to notice some if not all of the effects. My mood is stabilising and I am finding my motivation returning to me. I need it for when I get into my doctoral program! I can find pleasure in things I enjoy again. I don't have overtly pessimistic and sad thoughts as much. I'm not crying as much. Before I started taking this medicine I was not at rock bottom, but I did not want to feel like awful anymore. Depression is a real disease. The medications do help.

July 20, 2014 3:01 AM

Review by HyperNP (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For ADHD: I tried Wellbutrin XL 300mg per day because I was worried about long term side effects of Adderall. It's been 2 months and so far so good. I'm not as focused but still pretty close. Only down fall is I can't fall asleep as well as I did with Adderall and I urinate like crazy. But I say the risks and side effects are less than with Adderall. I am happy this worked. After years of amphetamine type medicines I thought I was stuck. But this medicine is great. I hope it continues to work. Some background , I have had ADHD since childhood and now am in my thirties. I work full time as an NP, wife and mother of 3. As a medical provider I am greatly appreciative of this medicine, with less long term adverse side effects.

July 14, 2014 9:32 PM

Review by 40yroldlady:

For Major Depressive Disorder: I wish I would have taken medicines along with counseling maybe 25 yrs ago. It would have helped with my overall success with relationships (thankfully I'm still christian & married with kids) overall accomplishments, education & current employment I started a year ago 50mg Zoloft & 100mg of bupropion I couldn't tolerate the side effects (insomnia, heart racing, more depressed & maybe more) at the time I started a few months after with 12.5mg Zoloft and it completely changed my life for the better after a few days of mild side effects. I continued a month later along with 25mg bupropion after a few days of mild side effects I felt even better! I've eased my way to 25mg Zoloft & 200 mg bupropion & I'm in the middle of mild side effects and I feel better than ever!

July 13, 2014 12:14 PM

Review by debsza (taken for less than 1 month):

Zyban (bupropion) for Smoking Cessation: I have been taking it for 1 week...I get headaches and agitation, abit dizzy. I was debating wheather to stop taking it...but I will try a few more days. Will this go away as I continue!!

July 12, 2014 10:03 PM

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: Really helped me recover from a horrid depression. This medication saved my life. It is a bit activating. At higher doses works as a great smoking cessation aid. LOVE IT.

July 8, 2014 2:29 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: I was started on 100 mg of Wellbutrin in January, initially did not note much of a mood alteration other then feeling more energetic. I was upped to 200 mg, and I had never felt better in my entire life. I started performing great in school, had a high energy level and motivation. I was happy and felt good. I lost initially 5 pounds and now I lost a total of 20 in three months (note I also was attempting to lose weight). The only side effects I experienced were hot flashes the first week I took 200 mg which was odd but manageable. Also I had insanely vivid dreams. Recently upped to 300 mg, and I feel manic. It is bizarre, this amazing medicine now does not work, my doc said I may possibly have bipolar depression, So I still highly recommend.

July 5, 2014 1:39 AM

Review by jay1367 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: I have battled with Bipolar, depression for many years. And all my problems peaked now that I'm back from Afghanistan. Been on many different medicines through the years. I started taking Wellbutrin approximately 3 weeks ago. And it is now starting to take effect. The only reason it didn't get a higher score from me is because the medication just started to kick in and its not at its full effect. I work as a paramedic and have also dealt with many people with everything from bipolar to schizophrenia. Anyone that's been in this situation know that there is initial effects but the people who say it is working after a day or two are experiencing a placebo effect. These medicines affect chemicals in your brain. Therefore take time to take full effect.

July 3, 2014 11:03 PM

Review by Wally Digital (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: Pros: - 14 days on it and haven't THOUGHT about eating(lost 29 pounds). - haven't thought of smoking a cig. - I'm suddenly outgoing and happy. The Cons: - have not slept more than 3 hours for 14 days. - I am severely on edge from day 9-14. Had a panic attack going to work and yesterday was foaming at the mouth in a road rage incident where I became almost homicidal. For a minute, I thought I found a miracle, but I realized today that I can't handle this extra anxiety. Supposedly it goes away after a few weeks, but I don't think I can handle a few more weeks of this.

July 3, 2014 4:31 AM

Review by R3 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Smoking Cessation: Started 5 days before my quit date, today is my 23rd day smoke free. First week I did experience a spaced out feeling at times and increased desire to stay busy- that has leveled off and I feel completely normal. Cravings tough during 1st week, but staying busy helped. Woke up several times in the night but fell right back to sleep- I take 150mg twice a day...first at 5 am second 8 hrs later, never had a hard time falling asleep. Constipation still an issue and hoping that eases. No decrease or difference in appetite/weight. Cravings now maybe 2 per day and don't last long. Would recommend, but you must want to quit.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 25, 2014 9:09 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: I've been taking Wellbutrin 150 SR every morning for 3 weeks now. I was on Zoloft for quite a while and experienced sexual side effects. I was willing to try something different and Wellbutrin seemed to have a good history of not affecting sexual drive. I've continued to go downhill since starting the Wellbutrin. I have no energy, feel the need to withdraw from interaction with people, feel unsteady at times, have depressing thoughts, and feel moments of sadness and start crying. I can't wait to be weaned of this.

June 24, 2014 12:17 PM

Review by rouxball (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion) for Depression: I have been on bupropion for a month. I have lost the sadness, obsessive dark thoughts and have more energy and less aches and pains. I felt a little weird taking it a first( mild headache, taste in my mouth) but those have gone. This is great stuff and feel hopeful and focused. I am not snappy and withdrawn from my spouse.

June 22, 2014 6:16 PM

Review by muchbetter79 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: I was in a bad car accident 3 years ago and it tore up my already injured back. At first I relied on Cymbalta and narcotics to get through the pain. The narcotics lifted my mood and the Cymbalta did help with all other pain. Eventually the narcotic I was on (lortab) stopped working all together. I'm not a big fan of opiates for pain relief and would not have taken them had it not been my only choice to feel normal. (I couldnt even sit in my car for more than 15 mins without searing nerve pain).I accidently stumbled on a review that said Wellbutrin also helped with back pain. It has been the best thing that's happened to me. It has replaced both meds and I feel great! Cymbalta was horrible to come off of, Lortab not so much but think I was just lucky.

June 22, 2014 1:05 PM

Review by Lyla Lexie:

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder in 2006. My depression comes in cycles, but I take this medication every day. I was on Zoloft for about 3 years off and on and gained about 30 pounds, was tired all the time, and had some discouraging sexual side effects to top everything off. I did my research and discovered Wellbutrin, which other people said was more stimulating and had no sexual side effects. I asked my doctor if I could switch and started tapering off Zoloft while starting 150 mgs of Wellbutrin. My doctor upped the dose to 300 mgs and I had never been happier! It has drastically changed my life. Lost weight and can get up in the morning without being a total grouch. I only gave it a 9 because of the cost.

June 17, 2014 3:19 PM

Review by HappyDays73:

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: I started taking Wellbutrin 150mg one week ago. I suffer from mild depression, but I feel like I am going through a rough patch in my marriage/life and needed something to change. I exercise regularly, own a business and sleep well, but just didn't have that "get up and go" that I felt others had. So, my doctor had given me a prescription for Lexapro that had horrible side effects right off the bat. Heartburn, insomnia, and this kind of stressed out feeling that made me VERY uncomfortable. My doc gave me a new prescription for Wellbutrin and I take it the moment I wake up each morning. I feel Happy, Energetic and Ready to tackle the day. No insomnia, but I do have a reduced appetite. This may be just the ticket!

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 16, 2014 7:28 PM

Review by qlwaysmandi (taken for 10 years or more):

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion) for Depression: Wonderful for me! I have increased energy, able to work and generally FEEL better. Downside-occasional insomnia. Drink lots of water, you will feel very thirsty. I highly recommend this antidepressant.

June 13, 2014 11:04 PM