User Reviews for Bupropion

Also known as: Aplenzin, Budeprion, Budeprion SR, Budeprion XL, Buproban, Forfivo XL, Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban

Learn more about Bupropion.

Seasonal Affective Disorder 7 reviews 2 medications

Dysthymia 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Bupropion reviews 650 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Bupropion

Review by Rosie124 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion) for Depression: Major change in my mood and energy. I enjoy to do things I used to do. Wellbutrin has changed my life.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 24, 2015 9:01 PM

Review by Michelle f (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: I had a rough time starting young with major depression and anxiety since middle school. My freshman year I started taking Lexapro. It was the worst possible thing that could've happened to me. Worst side effects ever. I gained over 40 pounds. I was tiny and petite to being around 125 to 170. Tried switching from many multiple different meds, still gained weight. Then my doctor finally put me on Wellbutrin, started off with the low dose and didn't really help much. She upped me to 150. I had hyperglycemia and finally got over it and got off of metformin. I am starting to finally lose some of that weight and about to look great for senior year. I highly recommend this medicine. It makes me not hungry anymore. I'm so happy now!

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 24, 2015 6:56 PM

Review by Ms. Pooh (taken for less than 1 month):

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: Switching from another antidepressant to Wellbutrin XL, made my depression worst. I became very hostile. Ugly mood changes. Changing from one antidepressant to another is the worst thing that I ever did in my life. Some family members are not speaking to me because of my hostile actions toward them. Every day I used was a sad day.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 19, 2015 12:19 PM

Review by mikrw33 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: This was the first antidepressant I responded to when I started it back in 2012. Initially it caused a little nausea, and again with each dose increase, but it was very mild and didn't last longer than a week. It brought me right up out of a deep, dark pit. At the time, I wasn't diagnosed with bipolar yet, so I wasn't taking any mood stabilizers. Once they realized I was, I was put on lamotrigine, and it has been a staple part of my medical regimen since then. I'm currently on 300 mg XL, and 400 mg lamotrigine ER. I recommend it to anyone who hasn't tried it yet!

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 31, 2015 12:42 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: I had a great experience with this antidepressant. I am 18 and I've been on it for four years. I forgot to take it today for the first time in years. I've been crying and shaking all day because my body doesn't know how to function without it. Needless to say, I need it to get through every day life. It's worked so well for so long. I can't see myself getting off of it any time soon.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 28, 2015 1:48 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Depression: Before starting bupropion I was almost incapable of getting out of bed, I had lost all desire to do anything, and felt so hopeless. Over the course of a few months I started taking firth 150mg then 200mg and it has made such a significant difference. I have energy and am more motivated than I have been in so long. Taking bupropion has also helped me regain my libido, the loss of which was one of the most troubling symptoms of depression for me.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 24, 2015 1:36 AM

Review by 14 yr old son (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: The lowest dose made him stop saying he wanted to kill himself. The doctor up his dosage and I can see my son smile and laugh again. No side effects at all. He even dances now. He's so funny. Before it was a nightmare with him. He's also on Latuda but that takes 3 weeks to kick in. Wellbutrin XL is a life saver for major depression. No more ups and downs.

January 22, 2015 1:16 PM

Review by struggler79:

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: I am a 35 year old woman, who has taken meds for 1/2 her life. I struggle with obsessive compulsive disorder, intrusive thoughts and overall depression. Wellbutrin.. I take 150mg a day. It has changed my life.. I have less obsessive thinking, more motivation and for some reason care way less about what people think.

127 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 17, 2015 11:43 AM

Review by Esjay Anne (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: I'm 16 and am limited to medications that are safe for me to take because of an extreme anxiety order I have. When I first started Wellbutrin it was slow to see changes but now I can honestly say it's helped me so much. Something a lot of people don't know is that it may also help you lose weight in certain situations. I began my sophomore year at about 180 lbs and now I'm at 155. (I am 5'7") I feel so much healthier now and also happier. I highly recommend this for teens who are struggling with other medicines.

January 15, 2015 11:29 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Smoking Cessation: I never write reviews but this medicine has worked so well for me. I've been on it since January 2nd and have cut down smoking by more than 3/4. Yesterday I only had 2-3 cigarettes and they weren't even completely smoked. It's weird because you still think of having a smoke now and then but have little desire to actually go have one. Each day gets better and you have less and less desire to actually smoke even if you think about it from time to time. No side effects. Would pay 10x more if I had too for this.

January 15, 2015 4:10 AM

Review by AxInPhoenix (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: Getting started on this medicine can be tricky. It comes in doses from 75mg immediate release up to 300mg extended release. Due to the stimulant effect it has, you may need to ease into it! Everybody is different. I had to ease into it. For Major Depressive Disorder, it has worked great. I lost weight, my sex drive is through the roof (I'm 54 and feel like a teenager in that respect). I have lots of energy, (sometimes, too much). It doesn't help with my anxiety; I still need Klonopin now and then. It also gives me insomnia, again, the Klonopin helps there. And as other have said, it doesn't "build up" in your system so you don't get the withdrawal SSRI's/SNRI's.

January 8, 2015 10:25 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: Wellbutrin SR 150s, which initially had positive outcomes on my depression, probably the best I've tried, and I've tried a lot the past years. It took a bit to get the optimal dose. At 300 mg it was causing a cascade of side effects, anxiety, palpitations, sweating. Doc helped me back down to 100 mg with no side effects. The depression is just as gone as the initial 300 mg. Wellbutrin also developed a positive outcome in mere days - a major plus.

January 8, 2015 9:08 AM

Review by darkdestiny:

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: I've been struggling with depression and anxiety/panic attacks since I was a kid. I'm now 36. I tried every antidepressant they threw at me from Celexa to Zoloft. None of them worked and came with side effects I couldn't handle. Weight gain and loss of sexual function. When my psychiatrist suggested Wellbutrin I was afraid of more side effects, but I was desperate. I also take Valium and Klonopin for my anxiety so I'm not sure if those might mask any increased anxiety, but I have to say, I noticed a difference the first day. I take 200mg SR in the morning and I've got more energy and almost no interest in smoking, which is a bonus. It's only been a week but I feel an improvement every day. I think I finally found the right one.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 7, 2015 8:01 AM

Review by jkn1416:

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: Before starting Wellbutrin I was so depressed, crying all the time, no motivation, no energy, no ability to make decisions or follow through with them, no desire to go anywhere. I've been taking Wellbutrin for about 3 weeks and within a 5 days I was noticing a difference. The crying has stopped, I'm more motivated, I have more energy and I'm making decisions I couldn't before. I have been active, forcing myself to go to the gym but now I'm more eager to go. Wellbutrin has made a huge difference for me.

113 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 1, 2015 4:27 PM

Review by Hey1234 (taken for less than 1 month):

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: This is the best thing ever. I was suffering from no desire to go to work, I couldn't wake up, I was always late, I lost my motivation to accomplish things, I was anti-social and really just hating myself and life. I was also flustered, confused, feeling out of control and miserable. I started Wellbutrin and by the third day I could REALLY feel the difference. My mind starter to clear, I wasn't hazy, my motivation was back and I could wake up early. This has been an answer to prayers. The study of the brain and body with science is amazing. I'm very thankful.

December 30, 2014 8:43 AM

Review by globalarizona (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zyban (bupropion) for Smoking Cessation: Quit date 3 days away, after a month on Zyban, cigarettes taste bad, and aren't satisfying at all. Have reduced by half, without even starting with the nicotine replacement lozenges and gum. Was taking Lexapro for anxiety, stopped and switched to Zyban as my anti-anxiety and smoking cessation.

December 26, 2014 7:56 PM

Review by cntrywolf (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: I was diagnosed with major depression several years back. I've been on almost everything out there. I would try the medicine and hate the side effects or how it made me feel and taper myself off. Wellbutrin came on the market and I asked to be put on it. I take 300mg everyday and up until recently it was working great. As I age other emotional problems occurred (anxiety disorder) that Wellbutrin was not helping with, and Effexor was added. Wellbutrin is the ONLY psychotropic medicine I've not had any side effects with and have stayed on as long as I have. It also helped me quit smoking after being a 25 yr /1pk a day smoker.

December 21, 2014 1:59 PM

Review by Siegfried53 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Depression: I was taking 300mg of Bupropion. But I upped it to 400mg. I realize the possibility of a seizure; but I've had no problems. I feel WONDERFUL! I get my Bupropion through the VA at no cost.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 19, 2014 12:04 PM

Review by rfs86:

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: Well I've been on this medication for three days now. I can tell today that my mood has gone up like way up. I do notice it's hard to sleep or stay a sleep. I maybe have gotten 5 hours each night since I've started. But I feel alive and ambitious.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 19, 2014 10:59 AM

Review by Chermassey (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Smoking Cessation: Started bupropion and set my stop date for 1 week later (as instructed you should quit at one week after beginning medicine or during the second week for sure). Anyway, started it and set stop date for 1 week later; quit on day 6 of first week. Taking this medicine blocks the ability to get that feeling you get when you smoke. Absolutely nothing happens, and the cigarettes tastes terrible. I bought myself one of those e-cigs and take a puff here and there. Also, I found I still have intense cravings so I added the patch which the combination works phenomenally for me. I bought the e-cig because my plan was to take a puff or 2 off of it if I start to snap; but you don't get a buzz off the e-cig either; however, it does satisfy that smoking behavior.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 16, 2014 10:16 AM

Review by depressed no more (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: I have been on bupropion for about a year, 150mg taken every morning. I noticed a difference on day 2. Everything was just normal. Not bad normal, but good normal, like you woke up after having a really good sleep - and like a weight or pressure has been lifted. It's really hard to describe. Everything seems better. I kid you not. Music sounds clearer, looking around outside, it looks clearer...like I am out of a fog. So...I tried an experiment while I went on vacation. Didn't take anything for 2 weeks. My mood slowly returned to negative. Little things ticked me off, that shouldn't have. I decided to go back on. Same effect on the next day, mood lifted. It gives me slight insomnia, but also takes away some appetite. Great.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 10, 2014 9:10 PM

Review by Carl F:

Zyban (bupropion) for Smoking Cessation: Started smoking at 13, up to 2 1/2 pack a day. Wife also smoked, up to 2 packs a day. We both started Zyban at the same time. Took meds and smoked for a week, stopped the smoking, then a week later, stopped the meds. Haven't regretted doing it. Although I don't feel a whole lot better, still huff and puff at the top of the stairs, gained about 25 pounds, but I know we are both better for having quit. Recommend to anyone who really wants to quit.

December 9, 2014 5:32 PM

Review by VicGirl (taken for less than 1 month):

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: It's only been four days - I've been told it takes about 2 to 3 weeks for full affect. I am taking 300 mg per day. I definitely feel better, but it's subtle at this point (I wanted to go outside and be part of society). What I'm most surprised about is the lack of side effects (other than no appetite) I have not one side effect.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 8, 2014 10:09 PM

Review by StephanieAlice (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: I started this medication at a time when I did not have any health insurance and had to pay around $40/month for it. One of the very first things I noticed when taking this medication was that I started smoking fewer cigarettes, it made the cigarettes taste the way they should, horrible. I never had any other side effects from the medication. When I switched to another medication, it became very apparent that I was not doing as well as I had been while on the Wellbutrin SR, so I switched back after a few months and a couple different meds. This is definitely my favorite; I'd been on several different medications for my MDD and always had terrible side effects. Not with this!

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 5, 2014 8:00 PM

Review by ChiefChuck:

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: Recently I retired from public safety. I should have been happy and content to have a lot of free time. My friends all said I looked rested and better than I had in years. What they did not know is how depressed I was and how much I missed the work and my work friends. Reluctantly my doctor prescribed Bupropion HCL 150 mg for seven days then 300 mg daily in the AM. After the first day, I was already feeling better. I just finished the first two weeks and I'm feeling so much better. Occasionally I still have negative thoughts. Side effects include anxiety and an elevated BP. I'm happy with the results and believe the medication has taken me away from the edge. I will post updates periodically.

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 5, 2014 9:08 AM