User Reviews for Bupropion

Also known as: Aplenzin, Budeprion, Budeprion SR, Budeprion XL, Buproban, Forfivo XL, Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban

Learn more about Bupropion.

Seasonal Affective Disorder 10 reviews 2 medications

6.5
Dysthymia 1 reviews 3 medications

Summary of Bupropion reviews 911 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Bupropion

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: "This has been a life saver! Totally changed my life. I have tried SSRI many kinds to deal with my MDD with horrible side effects/ only slight headaches with wellbutrin;) I am very pleased with the results. It's been almost 2 months no sludge on the brain!!! THANK YOU!! I am GRATEFUL!!"

Impressed (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 2, 2016

For Depression: "So far Bupropion HCL XL 150 mg is working good. I was heartbroken after a break up with a friend. I felt stuck and my emotions were ranging from extreme sadness to intense anger. It seemed to me that 8 months of these emotions after a toxic relationship were too long. I don't think a drug is a cure for personality issues but I wanted to experience more joy during my days. I can say that the first 14 days on Wellbutrin my emotions became more erratic. I even had 2 days where I was alone and started crying over my ex. It was the first and only times I cried. I then found in the last week my mood has seemed to lift finally. I might feel some sadness and some anger but the cycles end. I seem to have more energy and my outlook is improving."

Wellonbutrin (taken for less than 1 month) February 2, 2016

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I highly recommend Wellbutrin XL. I used to suffer from major depression, but thanks to the Wellbutrin, my depression is almost nonexistent. Another great thing about it is I don't have any side effects. In the beginning, I lost my appetite & everything tasted bland. I was fine with that because I wanted to lose some weight, but thanks to my other medications my appetite came back. Darn! Maybe if you take it & want to lose weight you will get lucky as long as you don't take other medications to counteract it."

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 2, 2016

For ADHD: "It takes the edge off my ADD without making me feel drugged. It also takes a few days to notice it's effect when you start taking it. Also, it keeps working a few days after you stop taking it."

T. W. February 1, 2016

For Anxiety: "Suffer from anxiety and panic attacks since I was a young woman. I've been on many different meds. Have landed in the ER six times in my life thinking I was having a heart attack as these mirror each other in symptoms. Have taken Paxil for 15 years. When I landed in the ER again six weeks ago my Paxil was raised to 60 mgs. I saw doc in a follow up and we decided to try Wellbutrin...the generic. I have been slowly going off Paxil, as you must do, and starting the Wellbutrin. It is now fours weeks and I am up to 200 mgs of Wellbutrin and down to 20 mgs of Paxil. ONE MORE WEEK and I am done. Wellbutrin does have some side effects, I.e., dizziness, Wausau, dry mouth..otherwise I have been doing pretty well. Time will tell."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2016

For ADHD: "Almost 30 and this is the first time I sought help for ADD. It has truly been a scourge in my life. Been on bupropion over 3 weeks. 300 mg per day. I don't have depression and am taking this for ADD. Nothing has changed for me other than urinating more."

DreamKing805 January 29, 2016

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "Any benefit that this drug may have offered me for depression was overshadowed by the side effects, particularly intractable insomnia. I became more depressed from the lack of quality or regular sleep. Discontinued it after 10 weeks and still not sleeping normally one week later. Wish I had never touched Wellbutrin."

Tex1289 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 29, 2016

For ADHD: "I am 43 years old & was diagnosed with ADD at age 24. I have taken a variety of drugs to treat the ADD, but with no success. Started taking Wellbutrin 300mg 5 years ago & will take it till the day I die. Life changing. More focussed, clear headed, juggling less thoughts simultaniously, less stressed, no more mood swings, feel I have more control over my life, etc. When I started taking it, I had terrible side-effects, insomnia being the worst. But I stuck it out & only at 6 weeks felt the difference. Will highly recommend for ADD!"

Ilze, South Africa January 28, 2016

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "I was prescribed Wellbutrin by my doctor when I told her that I was having a very difficult time getting out of bed and wanting to be productive one month ago. My doc prescribed me Wellbutrin 150 xl, which has as an added bonus made me completely stop smoking and even become repulsed by cigarettes. No negative side effects. Wellbutrin has reduced my urge to drink alcohol by 90%, and when I do drink, I feel intoxicated after only 2 or 3 drinks. I have been exercising five days a week and eating well to assist in mood elevation. I have more motivation and energy now than a month ago. I am impressed with this medication."

pwnvixen007 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 25, 2016

For Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced: "Just met the most amazing man that is taking this medication to stop smoking. He's been nervous about sexual side effects as a result of using this. Good news - since getting together, even via text or Skype we discovered he doesn't need it.....just talking turns him on. Touching me will eliminate and and all need for any type of medication without doubt!! Sorry burproin but we're OK...actually fantastic"

SCARLETT M January 24, 2016

For : "I was recently switched to Wellbutrin after complaining to my doc about my Prozac side effects (sexual ones!). I have been on one Wellbutrin XL 150 tablet/day for roughly the past 2 weeks. I am officially taking this for PMDD, but I suspect I might have had depression for years. So far I like Wellbutrin a lot. I feel much more motivated, there are no negative sexual side effects, and I feel more loving toward my boyfriend than I did on Prozac. Diminished appetite and insomnia only lasted about a week or less. I do seem to have less "patience" on Wellbutrin...where as with Prozac I was borderline apathetic. One thing I will say: I also quit caffeine and sugar before starting Wellbutrin, and that has REALLY helped even out my mood."

Amber97 January 24, 2016

For ADHD: "started on Wellbutrin XL 150 ER once a day for a week before being bumped to 300mg. Day 1: felt like I was walking in a dream state, also felt like my soultimate was being pulled through the front of my body by a magnet. Strange but kinda cool. Day 2: woke up after 6 hours refreshed with energy. first time in over 7 months this happened, and has continued to happen every day. Much more focused mentally, much calmer. Day 3-7: same as day 2. Day 8: Bumped to 300mgs, felt supercharged, back to the dreamlike state, no magnet pulling at my should this time, extremely focused, libido through the roof which was nice surprise too, appetite suppressed a bit, I'm a bodybuilder so that's not good for me but can eat as much with a bit of effort."

TommyMacIrish (taken for less than 1 month) January 24, 2016

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "It made me anxious for the first six weeks although I really appreciated the boost in energy. I got a 30 days prescription for Xanax during that time, that really worked. (And that's about as long as you should ever take Xanax, btw). Anyway, I was back to my previous self in 6-8 weeks -- kind of a miracle. Only side effects occasional light headed-ness. Every doctor I have talked to about Wellbutrin loves it. I do too."

Mike_in _CA January 23, 2016

For Anxiety: "I have been diagnosed at 54 years of age with ADHD and have always had anxiety coupled with depression. I had been prescribed Effexor with drastic results leading to unbearable back pain and incontinence of the bowels. Tried Cymbalta with zero results. I have just been switched to Wellbutrin 150mg XL. I take 25-50mg seroquel for sleep. My greatest fear is muscle and back pain because I work in the health care industry and have to be physically capable of working. Has anyone out there experienced chronic back pain on these medications. I don't doubt the the anxiety of the potential of experiencing back and muscle pain is actually contributing to more anxiety."

Monalisa 1961 January 23, 2016

For Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced: "I'm a female and man this drug has made me orgasim like 3 times in one night I love it !"

Uknowash (taken for less than 1 month) January 17, 2016

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: "I've been on this for about 6 weeks. So far it's working for depression. Much better than Zoloft was for me. With the Zoloft, I had no emotions. I was a drone just going through day to day. With Wellbutrin I'm not depressed (or at least not nearly as much), and I can actually feel joy again. Also, the weight loss is a plus. The cons to this medication is sometimes I have Cottonmouth, once in a while my hands shake (though this hasn't happened recently, could have just been when my body was adjusting. And it wasn't frequent), and I really have no appetite for breakfast or lunch (I need to force down my breakfast, and I'm just not hungry at lunch). I'm going to continue this medication for a while."

Klondike Blame January 16, 2016

Zyban (bupropion) for Smoking Cessation: "Day 1 a bit of feeling "doped up." Day 2 OK; nothing significant. Day 3 the nausea started. Ciggies tasted horrible but even worse than that, just the thought of food and I all but headed to the john to throw up. This was the three day one pill a day phase. Side effects of Chantix (including nausea) were not as severe as this. I'm still waiting to see if after 24 hours that last dose will finally wear off. Cold turkey, bad as it can be, is way better."

XSmokerColdTurkey January 16, 2016

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Wellbutrin was without a doubt the most effect antidepressant I've ever taken. Unfortunately, a month and a half into treatment on 150mg XL/day I started getting cystic acne. It was terrible and I knew it had to be the Wellbutrin so I looked online and noticed other people complaining about getting Acne as well. It was terrible, it only made my depression worse because I had this big cystic lumps on my face. A month after tapering off and taking antibiotics prescribed by my dermatologist it finally went away but I went back to being depressed."

Wibblet (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2016

For Smoking Cessation: "I started taking this 9 days ago. The first few days was ok, I was kinda snappy, but ok. After day 7 I stopped smoking, didn't find it hard to quit, but did have the worst panic attack while driving home, and called my husband and cried for the next 25 minutes. The next day I was ok, but today I was on my way to work. I was 5 mins down the road from my house and turned around. I had to call out of work. I cried and had a huge panic attack. It happened all throughout the day. Called the Dr. She said to stop taking it. It's OK for quitting smoking for me, but the side affects are not worth it (aside from the sex)."

Viciousval (taken for less than 1 month) January 15, 2016

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: "It is the best has really helped me I fill like my old self thank god for this medicine"

JMark c January 10, 2016

For Depression: "Hello, I have been taking Buproprion now for about 2 months and it has been awesome feeling "normal" again. Initially, I was prescribed Effexor for anxiety/depression and I did't have much success with it. I had decreased libido, mood swings and didn't much care for being touched intimately, or otherwise. Bupropion (300mg-extended release) has been great for me. Overall, I am a much calmer, happier, and relaxed person since taking this medication. And, it has ALSO helped with me being able to quit smoking...which, I have been trying to for years now. Not saying it's a cure all, but it has helped me significantly."

muchbetr (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 8, 2016

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I have tried many different kinds of antidepressants but I must say that Wellbutrin XL300mg has been the best. I have been on it for 3 years. I am so much happier and just feel better in general. The only side effect I have had while taking it is dry mouth. I was always a calm, attentive student even before I had the medicine. But since I have been taking it so long, if I happen to miss one or more days of taking it, I act as if I have ADHD. I am unable to focus and talk like a Chatty Cathy. If you have ever seen a little seven year old with really bad ADHD.That's me. I will skip in place, bounce up and down, and what not. I have NEVER had ADHD or ADD (I am super calm), but if I don't take it I act like it. That's my one and only problem."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 7, 2016

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "I went on Wellbutrin some time ago so I don't remember the dose. I had tried at least 4 SSRI's and didn't get much relief from my depression, mostly a lessening of morbid thoughts. The problem was that all of them without exception made me very drowsy. So my shrink suggested Wellbutrin. I was on it for about 3 months. At first it seemed to make me much better, certainly no drowsiness, but after awhile I got quite depressed again. Finally I stopped and to my amazement the very next day I felt substantially better! I knew my depression wasn't cured but I knew for sure that Wellbutrin had made me worse."

PauldJ January 7, 2016

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Bad bad side effects from Wellbutrin xl , major palpitations, dry dry mouth, crying, couldn't sit still, and panic . After taking for 2 weeks. Nausea is debilitating . Worse medication I have ever had , back on Paxil cr"

Buddy34 January 6, 2016

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "I'm desperate. My husband has suffered from severe depression for over a year. He went thru it in 2008 also. He got better then by treating it naturally and treating for candida. When it started this time I suggested a anti depressant. He had tried several before with bad experiences every time. This time he first was put on effexor.. Increased suicidal thoughts. Then they went to cymbalta.. Even worse. Have tried different natural options for months And at times see improvement. He is afraid of anymore prescriptions. I keep coming back to welbutrin and wondering if it would help him get his life back. I'm afraid I'm going to lose him."

Faith291- January 5, 2016