User Reviews for Bupropion

Also known as: Aplenzin, Budeprion, Budeprion SR, Budeprion XL, Buproban, Forfivo XL, Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban

Learn more about Bupropion.

Seasonal Affective Disorder 5 reviews 2 medications

Dysthymia 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Bupropion reviews 594 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Bupropion

Review by KB80:

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: Well I am very pleased to tell you that I started Wellbutrin XL 150mg for depression and anxiety and I can honestly say that it is a miracle drug! I started feeling much better after just one day, I could not believe it. It has been 30 days now and I have not had even one side effect. My depression went away almost right away and the anxiety took a couple weeks. But 30 days later I feel completely myself again. This medication is definitely doing its job 100%.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 6, 2014 11:26 PM

Review by Lindylui:

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: I just started taking this after being almost debilitated by mirtazapine. I don't know if for sure I have energy increase because of the Wellbutrin or because I quit taking mirtazapine. At any rate, I do feel better overall.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 4, 2014 5:18 PM

Review by Don't have one:

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: I've been taking 150mg for 2 weeks now. I felt the effects in just a few days. I have a lot of energy, and has increased my thirst. I've lost a few pounds. My only problem is sleep. I've been taking zolpidem for 3 years (5 mgs) and isn't helping much. I've taken a few other antidepressants in the past, and this has been the most effective.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 4, 2014 9:06 AM

Review by No more pending doom (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: Has worked well for me to manage anxiety and not feel scattered. Unfortunately a side effect is occasional slight pains near my heart so think I will need to switch to something else.

October 2, 2014 7:32 AM

Review by RedmondGemm (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in 1996 soon after moving to Seattle. In hindsight, I've been *depressed* for most of the past 20 yrs. The long, dark Seattle winters didn't help, so I'm sure I suffered from Seasonal Affective Disorder, too. I avoided taking antidepressants all these years, fearing side effects, weight gain and turning into an emotionless zombie. NONE of these things happened when I started on Wellbutrin XL-150 mg. Instead, immediately after taking my first couple of doses, something miraculous happened: my 17-yr struggle with bladder incontinence COMPLETELY disappeared. I have my pre-Multiple Sclerosis bladder back! I'm also STRONGER on my bike than EVER (I'm an avid cyclist), sleeping great, dreaming vividly, losing weight and interested in sex like never before. MIRACLE MEDICINE (for me)!

September 30, 2014 5:24 PM

Review by zunna:

For Anxiety: I just started taking this.I have severe stress and anxiety. My son has disabilities, G-tube, needs a lot of help. I find I am just exhausted on a daily basis. I would literally rub my hands till they bled and crack open because I was so over stressed about my boy. He is so sweet I found my self crying over littlest thing that would go wrong at school or at the playground. Now I can go and enjoy myself without the worry 24/7. My hands are slowly getting better with help of UVB Light Therapy but the meds are a MUST. I used to love to knit But I had to stop because they were so painful! Now I can go for walks with out huffing and puffing.I hope with the help of my Doctor that I can find balance and peace without yelling at my boy or husband.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 25, 2014 7:34 PM

For Anxiety: I have taken bupropion for over 13 years for anxiety. I have severe anxiety that causes depression. After many years of storm phobia and severe anxiety and many different medications this is the one that worked for me. Being able to feel normal and not have panic attacks has been wonderful. Have had no side effects except every once in a while I see twinkly dots in my vision, hard to tell if it is the medicines or from being tired. I will take the twinkly dots over anxiety any day.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 25, 2014 9:11 AM

Review by am49:

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: This medication has worked miracles for me. It has very few side effects and WORKS. One of the best things about it is no weight gain - it can actually cause you to lose weight! If you've got depression, I would definitely recommend Wellbutrin XL.

September 19, 2014 9:09 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: Do NOT drink energy drinks while taking this. I could not stop moving. Besides that it does the job.

September 18, 2014 11:04 PM

Review by Weiner123:

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: I feel great and it has been only 3 days. I have battled with Major Depressive Disorder and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder starting treatment in 2006. When I came back to States I was in 4 hospitals for months treated by the best on 7-10 different medications at different times. I had ECT etc. For me all the medications did not do a thing for me but get suicidal thoughts and gained 60 pounds. One antidepressant medicine I was on for a few years was Lexapro. I was in Aruba and wanted to die. Through much thought and discussion, I weaned off of all the antidepressants. After 8 years just last week a Doctor said I never have been on Wellbutrin and put me on it. I have for the last few months been really down and out. Immediately I feel better. Took only 8 years. And wasted time in Hospital & ECT.

September 11, 2014 2:43 PM

Review by Winfield blue 25s (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zyban (bupropion) for Smoking Cessation: I'm 21 years old and I used to smoke 25 a day for 3 years. When I first started taking Zyban I honestly wasn't sure if I wanted to quit or keep smoking but I thought why not try! For the first 8-10 days my morning dose made very nauseous and feel like I was either going to vomit or faint but I never did. since I set my quit date with zyban I have never touched a cigarette since and it has been 6 months now. the only caution I would like to share is that it only takes away the cravings ! You still have to say no too having a cigarette.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 29, 2014 5:33 AM

Review by ddeeddee86:

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: I started this 4 weeks ago. I was originally on Paxil but I was tired of its side effects. My doctor switched me to Wellbutrin after also trying Cipralex, Effexor and Zoloft. It works great. I had almost no side effects when I started it (I did with every other medicine). It does increase anxiety for me though. Wellbutrin gives me more energy and makes me feel alive again. Because of the energy, I work out now which helps counter act the anxiety. It did not increase my sex drive BUT it made me normal. (Paxil made it so I wouldn't even let my husband touch me). I have lost the weight that Paxil made me gain and then some! I would recommend it to people for sure but if you have bad anxiety like I do, try being really active as well.

August 28, 2014 10:24 PM

Review by Lizzrrd (taken for 10 years or more):

For Smoking Cessation: If you are having trouble sleeping make sure you take it early in the morning. It gives me a slight energy boost. If you take it twice a day ask your doctor for a bigger dosage for once a day in the morning. I take 300 mg XL when I wake up and it is fabulous. . Good luck. I suffer depression so I have taken it for a long time with no relapse.

August 28, 2014 1:16 PM

Review by Always Depressed:

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: I have been taking Wellbutrin for 10 months. I had 6 migraines in the first 10 days, but then the headaches stopped. I also had dry mouth for about a week when I started taking the 300 milligram tablet. After that, no side effects at all. Unfortunately, I have had no positive effects either. I feel as though I am taking a sugar pill. I am still dysthimic all the time and have had several depressive episodes lasting weeks since beginning this medication. I agreed to take it for a year, buy I don't see any improvement at all.

August 28, 2014 8:34 AM

Review by felinechar (taken for less than 1 month):

For Smoking Cessation: Love this, no mouth sores, or ulcers like Wellbutrin gave me. I COMPLETELY QUIT SMOKING...this works.

August 22, 2014 8:29 PM

Review by Tinwest (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: I took Wellbutrin for about 8 years, it was wonderful, kept me motivated, optimistic, helped me lose a bunch of weight but I think it caused my tinnitus so I'm switching to Prozac.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 19, 2014 2:49 PM

Review by elcalvito:

For Depression: Have been on this for a week, severe headaches and difficult to sleep. Have faith I will improve mood and depression state, but still waiting for those effects. I find the lack of sleep is difficult to deal with.

August 17, 2014 9:08 AM

Review by Slee76 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zyban (bupropion) for Smoking Cessation: I've been taking bupropion for just over a month as per my doctor. She told me that it was important that my moods stabilize before I have a quit date. On my quit date 4 days ago I continued taking it and using a daily Nicoderm patch with a Nicoderm inhaler for break throughs. I am 4 days smoke free, something I have not been able to say in the 23 years since I first started smoking. I never lasted a day without smokes no matter how intense the plan. This combination is amazing and I have never felt better.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 15, 2014 10:51 PM

Review by Jruffin (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for : I never really want to share an experience about a medicine but honestly this is an awesome medicine. I was never depressed but I had pretty bad anxiety when it came to taking tests and I had trouble focusing and remembering things and I am only 20. After taking this for a week I started to wake up early and feel energized throughout the day. I felt great at work, remembering tasks and being really nice and helpful to customers. I've been on it for almost a month now but I feel like it's lost it's effect on me just a little. I've asked to be bumped up to 300 mg. I hope it works.

August 12, 2014 12:53 PM

Review by Autonomous Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: I relied on these reviews when I first started meds, so wanted to share my experience. I have been on Wellbutrin XL 300mg for about 2.5 years with extremely positive results. This is the first antidepressant I have ever taken, and I have been much better on it. No more falling through emotional thin ice 20+ times a day, no more crying, and hardly any negative thinking. Started on 150xl for about 1.5-2 months then up to 300XL. Experienced almost no side effects -- only a few occasional strange headaches in the beginning Only side effect is constipation, which can mostly be mitigated with fiber and good eating. Exercise is still a must for me to feel O.K. Before, post gym I would go from -6 to 1 or 2. Now with Meds I go from 3/4 to a 9/10

August 12, 2014 11:24 AM

Review by isssarose (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: I am bi-polar and have been on Lamictal for 5 years but I was still having issues with depression so my doctor suggested Wellbutrin SR. The first 3 weeks I was on it I wasn't impressed and thought about discontinuing it. I was spacey and had horrible headaches. But I'm so glad I gave it a chance. Started to feel less depressed after a month of taking it and I'm in my 4th month and I still have my moments but overall my outlook on life is much more positive. I also hoped it would help me quit smoking and lose weight. Only the later happened but still quitting smoking is pretty awesome. I've tried so many things to quit and nothing helped until this. I'm still not at 100% but still a big improvement. I totally recommend this.

August 9, 2014 2:43 AM

Review by am49 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: It's effective, and the side effects aren't that bad. Pros: - It works. - Hasn't caused weight gain. Cons: - I've noticed that since I started taking it my body temperature has been higher than normal, even if I'm not sick. - A few times it's made me act hyper. Not sure why, but my psychiatrist said I should be fine. Doesn't happen very often anymore. Notes: - Not to be taken by people with Bipolar disorder. If your doctor prescribes you this, make sure they are aware you're bipolar. Would I recommend? Yes.

August 8, 2014 5:16 PM

Review by ChuckString (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zyban (bupropion) for Smoking Cessation: Quit using Zyban over 29 years ago. Quitting with Zyban was the easiest thing to do. Tried to quit by ALL of the other methods without success. All I did was follow the directions faithfully and changed my routing for the first morning only. I never looked back or had those ghost cravings. I found I was able to have the occasional cigar without issue. TOTALLY recommend this method... Weaned myself off Zyban by just forgetting to take the meds more frequently as time went on.

August 1, 2014 5:31 PM

Review by ohio.mom (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: Does not seem to help much. Doctor is reluctant to prescribe something different. Viibryd worked very well but I can't afford the copay.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 31, 2014 9:13 AM

Review by Anonymousq (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I have been on bupropion for about 10 weeks now, beginning with one tablet and then moving to 2. I'm uncertain if it's had any effect. I might go off it to see how different I feel. It certainly doesn't appear to have worked magic for me. I'm on a SSRI and have been for years. I tried bupropion in addition to that, to add with the depression and lack of motivation etc. it appears to have worked well for others, but I'm unsure if it has had any effect on me.

July 28, 2014 9:42 PM