User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Dissociative Identity Disorder 1 reviews 0 medications

Dysautonomia 0 reviews 54 medications Not rated - Be the first
Transverse Myelitis 0 reviews 2 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Sertraline reviews 950 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Sertraline

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: "Been taking 25mg zoloft for 2 weeks. Due to non stop over thinking, paranoia and constant checking up on suspected cheating partner. This drug has enabled me to think clearly again and be able to end an unhappy relationship that I could not end before. I don't react or panic at the thought of being on my own anymore. Its great to feel balanced and even keeled with my thoughts. No real side effects, although I am more motivated at home and don't seem to have a huge appetite so lost some weight. I like this drug, its given me some sanity again however I am worried about the symptoms returning if I stop taking it."

jillyangus May 23, 2015

For Depression: "I started on 50mg. I felt better in 2-3 weeks. I was so happy to not be crying. I get dizziness and have the yawning effect. At first it seemed like I would yawn every 2 minutes for days. The only thing that upset me about it was that I gained weight. I'm already a bit on the heavy side, but I had been maintaining my weight for years. All of a sudden I gained about 25 lbs in 6 months. When I talked to my Dr, he said the dosage wasn't high enough, that I was emotionally eating. It didn't make sense to me, since I had been able to maintain my weight even during my depression. Anyway, he upped it to 100mg. Now, I just feel lazy. I don't care about getting things done. I have to really make an effort to do anything. I'm going back to 50mg."

rem1105 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 22, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline) for Social Anxiety Disorder: "I've recently started taking Zoloft 25mg for my anxiety and panic attacks. I've suffered from anxiety since 10 grade in high school and I am now 21. I've tried many other anxiety meds and they made it worse. I found Ativan helped me the most however my doctor doesn't want me to have it because it is addictive and she wants me on something every day. So, I've been on Zoloft for 4 days now. I know it takes 2-4 weeks or more for me to be able to feel the full effects. I am experiencing nausea, stomach pain, diarrhea, hot flashes, and being kind of out of it. I know these side effects will eventually go away but my worry is how long? I already suffer from other stomach/digestion issues and it makes it hard."

Wildflower1993 (taken for less than 1 month) May 22, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: "Absolutely changed my life. I am a 20 year old female who has struggled with depression and irritability since roughly 13. I tried meditation, I tried the "power of positive thinking", I tried listening to podcasts, I tried counseling. Nothing helped me until zoloft. I've been taking zoloft for 5 weeks. I had minor side affects for the first couple days (looser stool, headaches, stomach aches) but nothing I couldn't handle and they went away after 2-3 days as I got used to the medication. I'm currently taking 50 mg and don't plan on increasing. I feel overall happier. I'm not as irritable and things that I used to hate (going to work) are no longer even bad. I feel more myself, and like I'm not afraid to be outgoing. Highly recommended"

B.A May 22, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline) for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "So glad I decided to try Zoloft after suffering with depression and anxiety after my husbands passing. I am calmer and feel somewhat happy. I'm on 50mg There's no need to suffer everyday. Life doesn't have to be so painful Do yourself a favor and try it. It might just take some of that pain away. It's definitely worth a try"

Mbfl (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 20, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress: "I have only been on this drug for two days and I'm already finding it really difficult waking up in cold sweats almost vomiting having a bad tummy and just feeling very scared I'm not sure if to stay on them as everything seem so much more worse"

Cody369 May 20, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: "This has been a life changer for me. I guess I never realized how depressed I actually was until I started on Zoloft. I'd been fighting it for years, forcing myself to get up and get by each day, but getting worse and worse (avoiding people, having problems talking, having horrible insomnia). Within a week of being on Zoloft I noticed a major difference. I actually feel optimistic about life for the first time in as long as I can remember. My relationships with my wife, family, friends, and coworkers have all improved dramatically. In short, I'm no longer depressed. I had some side effects over the first few days (restless legs, night sweats, a zonked out 'zombie' feeling) but they passed quickly."

HardLifeGuy (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: "I just got back on it but use to take it for years and I was happiest when on Zoloft."

Tonton1965 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 18, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline) for Panic Disorder: "I was prescribed Zoloft 50mg about a year ago after giving birth to my daughter very prematurely. I did notice that during the most difficult times, I was actually very calm and could make rational decisions. Why did I stop taking it? I have no idea. Recently, I've had horrible panic attacks that have landed me in the hospital, made me call out of work, and pretty much incapacitated me. I didn't want to go back on medication, but prayer, exercise, and talking just wasn't getting it. I finally went to my doctor and he put me back on Zoloft 50mg. Right now I'm just taking 50mg once a day, but next week I start taking them twice a day. I'm also on 0.5 mg Klonopin. Already, I have began to feel a little better. Hoping it continues."

JustWannaFeelBetter254 May 17, 2015

For Depression: "When I first started taking this I was feeling great. Maybe a little too great! Everything just seemed amazing and I was so happy. I was previously taking citalopram which made me feel worse than I did before taking medication. Almost unbearable. So starting sertraline made me feel like there was actually something to make me feel better and that I can be positive again. But into my the 3rd week that kind of stopped and I was feeling less satisfied with life again. Very tired all the time. Some days feeling so sorry for myself I wanted to be alone and cry etc. Other days I felt so numb I didn't feel anything. I wasn't sad, wasn't happy, I just didn't care. still like this now after being upped to 75mg. Did anyone have this? Do I need upped?"

Rebecca rose (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I have been treated for major depression all of my adult life. Over the years I have taken many different drugs for depression. Zoloft works best of all I have tried so far. It took about 2 weeks to really start feeling the difference so be patient."

painfulkaty (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 16, 2015

For Social Anxiety Disorder: "Sertraline does help Social Anxiety and Depression associated with this. I have been on it for nine months and if I said it has not provided me any benefit, I'd be lying. It allows you to think more rationally, therefore making CBT more effective and easier. Also, it is good for Depression. It helped me to be more positive and covered up my depressive thoughts, although they do come up every now and then. I take Zoloft primarily for SA and I feel I need something a little more anxiolytic, obviously Zoloft IS anxiolytic as it is an antidepressant, however I do feel slightly jittery and twitchy whilst on it (I am at a maximum 200mg). I am moving on soon, to Paxil or Lexapro, preferably Paxil. I'd recommend Zoloft for someone with a mix though"

xDan May 15, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress: "Suffer from depression, anxiety and panic attacks, first I was given sertraline, 3 days I felt sick and just rubbish after 1-2weeks I felt like I could move around, do what needed to be done, there were side affects, felt a bit like a zombie, but I was managing and coping and living my life and did stop after 6months wanting to tackle it on my own and try and manage, after 7months off them I found symptoms slowly getting worse and felt I should go back on 25mg - Like others have said stick with it, its better to manage and live then feel trapped in your own body."

Perisan (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 15, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "My 16 year old daughter began this medication in October and it has been a blessing for her overwhelming anxiety. She is now able to function normally. She has joined swim team at her high school and began taking piano lessons. She is getting out and spending time with her old friends and making new ones. Prior to the medication she was so anxious that she could not speak in class or raise her voice above a whisper outside of our home. The anxiety she experienced prior to the Sertraline was completely debilitating. She is getting talk therapy, exercising regularly and eating a balanced diet along with taking the medication. I was initially very opposed to "drugs." Now I feel I denied my child nessessary medication. Don't be afraid to try it!"

Faylynn (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 14, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline) for Panic Disorder: "I haven't been taking Zoloft for even a week yet but the experiences I've read on here give me hope. At 31 years old, I've never really had a problem with depression or anxiety bit one day it all hit me like a ton of bricks. I felt like my life was falling apart, even worse, like my relationship was falling apart. I still get horrible feelings of anxiety (most of the day, honestly) but I'm really hoping Zoloft will work for me. The only reason for the 8 rating (for now) is because of the initial side effects."

justmytwocents May 14, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline) for Social Anxiety Disorder: "I have been prescribed Zoloft (50mg daily) but have not started taking it yet. I am 62 years old and have been on various medications for depression and anxiety over the years starting with Prozac which I took on and off during my 40's. I have read many of the comments here and they are helpful but I would like to know how these meds affect older people like me. When I was in my 50's I tried Prozac again and it did not affect me the same.. could not take it. I am afraid to take anything. It seems that they all make me sleepy and tired. So, if anyone reads this that is in their late 50's and over, I would like to know how the Zoloft works for you. Thank you."

marthamydear (taken for less than 1 month) May 14, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "My panic attacks started a year ago after a period of really bad events in my life that made me very gloomy, bitter and hopeless. All of a sudden my entire being just collapsed, I started having panic attacks on a daily basis and became home bound, then depression set in... When I started disassociating and thinking about taking my own life I knew I needed to get help. I was referred by a good friend to a wonderful psychiatrist that prescribed 50 mg to start with, and some Xanax as needed. Well one year later I'm just at 25mg, no panic attacks, no depression or anxiety and I feel awesome!. Sometimes you have to admit that you need help..."

DrStrange May 14, 2015

For Depression: "I began sertraline 50 mg approximately four weeks ago. I wasn%u2019t sure weather to take it at night or in the morning so I experimented with both. I found that during the day I would become very lethargic and yawn constantly with little energy but would then wake up in the middle of the night stimulated regardless of the time I took it. This frustrated me as I have always had a good sleep schedule and am an active person during the day, but I had read that others had experienced similar side effects and the effects eventually ceased. I felt better for several days%u2014not as downcast, brooding, heavy. After three weeks of taking it, the effect seemed to even out and I found myself struggling with feelings of hopelessness and doubt again. I felt better, certainly, just still struggling%u2014I don't expect a pill to %u201Ccure%u201D me of negative thoughts. I know I have control over my own thoughts, but it was that feeling of heaviness that tends to settle upon me%u2014like a dark cloud. When I went back to my doctor for the follow up, he increased it to 100 mg. I said let%u2019s try 75 mg first. He agreed. Within a couple weeks of taking 75 mg I still yawned a lot but I wasn%u2019t having trouble with lethargy and sleep issues as much. My attitude was much better. For example, I found that I really am a funny and silly person! I forgot that I was funny being under depression. I didn%u2019t realize how serious I had become, how reclusive. I also found my creativity really opened up. I had forgotten how creative I was. I also have been going to the gym and eating well. I try and smile and interact with people more%u2014even if I don%u2019t feel like it. I may just greet people or hold the door for them but it%u2019s better than me avoiding people like I used to. Some days are harder than others, but I can say that overall my experience with sertraline has been positive."

Barnabas777 May 13, 2015

For Depression: "I started on 10mg off citalopram when I was 16, they had zero effect so they upped me to 20mg of fluoxetine which made my severe depression worse, my brother was also prescribed fluoxetine and we both experience and major increase in suicidal thoughts whilst on them so I went back to the doctor. He then prescribed me with sertraline 50mg. The first few weeks of taking them were a nightmare, I'd wake up and take the tablet with my breakfast and I'd finds myelf being exhausted all then time and then I'd struggle to sleep at night. My partners mum is on sertraline 100mg and she said that the best thing to do is take them half an hour before you go to bed because the tiredness effect doesn't take long to kick in. Now I feel a lot happier"

Abbeyalp May 13, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress: "This has been one of the toughest medications I have ever been on. I've been on countless numbers of antipsychotics, antidepressants, mood stabilisers... Around 25 medications in total. I was wrongly diagnosed as borderline personality and suffered greatly as a result. Sertraline made everything so much worse for about three weeks: but then, it was like a switch had been pressed in my head. My racing, obsessive thoughts stopped, my constant headaches, insomnia, sweating, worrying, heart pains, vanished. I can think, I can feel and I can, for the first time in a long time, be 100% completely myself without the pain. You don't get points in this world for suffering and this has improved my life by about 100000000%. Stick with it."

JoeH1995 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline) for Panic Disorder: "Started on Zoloft 25mg and wasn't effective. Began seeing a psychiatrist who upped it to 150mg in pretty short time. For two years have been at around 100mg. I needed it to get calmed down from all the trauma and panic disorder gone out of control. Zoloft worked great. I got calm learned how to respond and not react, etc. There is a down side. Please , please, please don't stay on this drug for too long or go up high on the mg like I did. Weaning off kicks your butt. It is pretty serious withdrawal. Keep that in mind. Look it up. See what people endure getting off Zoloft. It's awful. Getting off your brain goes into chaos. Brain jabs and dizziness are common which is no fun when you already have a panic disorder. Research!!!!"

Boxsford (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 9, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress: "I've been suffering from generalised anxiety but especially at work..for around two years. Previously taking citalapram, I stopped due to side affects. Initially wary that these would be the same or worse. But 4 weeks into treatment. I really am back to my old self, Happy to enjoy life rather than being anxious all of the time. What's more, my work performance has improved, relationships are much more fulfilling for me and them. I exercise more, eat healthily, and generally my cognition is calm and clear. Few side affects.. Slight sleep disturbances, jaw clenching, and thirst...all now reduced and are easy to live with considering the benefits."

Topginge (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I started off with seralitine (generic for zoloft),100mg it lifted my mood, I was happier, less angry, calm, and it helped with my moods before my cycle came along. After a while it started to wear off so I started taking 150mg, finally I increased it to 200mg with my docs permission. I loved this dose because it seemed to suit me better, but after a while I noticed my hair shedding really bad. So I switched back to 150mg and it stopped. Everyone is different with side effects but I recommend this drug. It has changed my life for the better, it helps my anxiety,and it helps me not to worry as much. I'm glad I tried it. It does mess with sex drive but some maybe able to work around that."

Beautiful One May 8, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: "Hi I thought I would share my experience to help others make a good decision. 5 years ago I was diagnosed with a Panic Disorder, GAD, and Depression. My initial struggles ended up with me on Celexa. This drug did work but took a long time for to take effect. (4 months). Last September it finally just stopped working. I went through a major period of depression and withdrawls until I finally found Zoloft. I had immediate effects! It turned my life around I now have zero side effects. I do have some lingering anxiety but nothing I cant handle. Occasionally I take a clonazepam to settle my kettle."

EasyDoesItNS May 7, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline) for Social Anxiety Disorder: "Zoloft is wonderful, this antidepressant has made me feel so lucid for the past 9 months. It's helped me fight social anxiety, and anxious depressions after I had a neurotic breakdown, and had to be admitted to a hospital. This medicine has made things so clear for me, I absolutely love my life now! Recently I had not been taking it for about 6 days, DO NOT DO. It completely drained me.. but I continued taking it and the side affects dispersed completely after 3 days of taking 150 mg again. Zoloft has completely leveled out my S.a.d., g.a.d, and major depression. No, it did not work immediately, but it totally works in the long run and waiting for it to take affect. Zoloft you've truly helped me become lucid in my consciousness :)."

Nick <3 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 5, 2015