User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Vulvodynia 2 reviews 9 medications

Transverse Myelitis 0 reviews 2 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Sertraline reviews 791 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Sertraline

Review by Mh63 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Panic Disorder: I had my first panic attack almost two years ago. It spiraled from there and I started having panic attacks so bad when I was driving that it got to a point where I could not drive at all. I also had panic attacks when I was trying to fall asleep. I told myself and my doctor I wanted to "beat" this without any medicine. I started counseling, and while that helped a little, it wasn't enough. Finally I told my doctor I was ready to start meds and it is the best thing I have done for myself! The first few weeks were pretty rough, and my anxiety increased during that time. But after four weeks I started feeling much better. Now I can drive again and my anxiety is 90% better. And what remains of it is much more easily controlled.

May 20, 2014 10:51 PM

Review by Jazminnn:

For Major Depressive Disorder: I decided to visit a psychiatrist for the first time 2 weeks ago because I have been dealing with anxiety and mild depression for almost 2 years. He prescribed me sertraline 50mg. I didn't start until a week later because I was scared (anxiety) about taking medicine for the first time and the possible consequences so I kept reading about it especially in this site. So after taking the medication for a week (first 5 days I only took half a pill per day) I can only say that it's been a positive experience. My anxiety is almost gone and I feel much happier and calmed. I can study and work without feeling anxious and fearful or depressed feeling sad.Cons: thirsty all the time; dry mouth. During the first 5 days only I felt sleepy and a little bit numb.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 15, 2014 10:08 PM

Review by Angelalove (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft (sertraline) for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I suffer with post traumatic stress disorder from years of trauma and then the death of my mother really was the icing on the cake. I've also been dealing with physical ailments in the past 7 years, and panic attacks since I could remember. With all this going on, it's no wonder that I've became depressed and anxious about life. I am not the type of person who believes in medication without trying alternatives first. In the past I've tried other antidepressants to no avail. Was off of them for a year, but decided to go back on, trying Zoloft this time, when I became suicidal. That was the LAST straw. Been on 50mg for about a month, but started on 25mg a month prior. It LITERALLY saved my life. Don't give up! What one medication won't do for you another will.

May 14, 2014 6:42 AM

Review by Jktx:

Zoloft (sertraline) for Panic Disorder: Took 2 weeks to feel a bit better. Stick with it through side effects. I take 62.5 mg in the morning and 25 mg in evening now. After 5 months I feel pretty good.

May 13, 2014 11:46 AM

Review by Lillyhop (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: After citalopram stopped working after 10 years my dr changed me to sertraline. Started on 50mg for 3 days then went to 100mg. I was a total mess, couldn't eat, lost 1 stone in 3 weeks, was sick after drinking water, had tremors, night sweats, became depressed, had suicidal thoughts (am 41 and never had them before) became agrophobic - the list is endless. Unfortunately it took 2 months to see a psychiatrist who told me they weren't agreeing with me so am weaning off them and feeling loads better. Was put on mirtazapine and they seem to be working. This medicine seems to help lots of people but please trust your instincts and have a good relationship with your doctor to discuss side effects etc.

May 13, 2014 6:17 AM

Review by anutterblonde (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Depression: I was on the sertraline, for 3 years. After developing a strange phobia with severe anxiety, suicidal thoughts, and major depression, this medication probably saved my life. However, it only brought me back halfway. I still was depressed and still suffered from anxiety attacks, just not as much. After a couple of years, I believed it stopped working, even after increasing the dose, so I stopped taking it.

May 12, 2014 10:16 PM

Review by dj Man of God (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: This medication has been a God send for me. Since I have been on sertraline, my mood swings and anger problems caused by post traumatic stress disorder, have significantly been reduced. They still happen, but not nearly as often as before I started sertraline.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 7, 2014 2:24 PM

Review by Severe health anxiety/OCD (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft (sertraline) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I have suffered with severe health anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder related to this anxiety for about 6 years. I would spend countless hours a day googling symptoms and doing certain health related rituals, and it was taking over my life. I finally talked to my doctor at the urging of my family and ended up on 50 mg of Zoloft. I didn't want to take it because part of my health anxiety is a fear of any type of medication. After about 3 weeks of it sitting untouched in my cabinet I started to take it. I didn't feel strange - no side effects. Maybe a little more sleepy at night? After about 3 weeks on Zoloft I noticed that I didn't have the urge to Google health symptoms anymore and I would *forget* to do some of my daily rituals.

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 6, 2014 1:50 AM

Review by Natashab:

For Depression: I promised myself I would write a review for this antidepressant. I have only been on them for a month so far and after trying various other antidepressants with negative side effects I can safely say I have found the right one for me! Not only did it stop my anxiety almost immediately but I rarely have any negative or paranoid thoughts. I would definitely recommend anyone who has clinical depression to take these because they have honestly changed my life for the better. Hope this helps.

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 1, 2014 12:48 PM

Review by thigk1:

For Anxiety and Stress: Prescribed Mirtazapine 18 months for mild depression. I started panicking and depression worsened, I became hyper anxious.I was lucky to get a different Dr when I turned up hysterical at the surgery. He took me off mirtazapine and moved me gradually onto sertraline. Horrific. I couldn't eat or sleep, I paced for hours in circles. For 12 weeks I was a suicide focused unstable shaking retching mess. I lost 2 stone. I was given a preset dose of diazepam and lorazepam at intervals throughout the day. My husband or mother shuttled me backwards and forwards so I was never left alone. Gradually we built up the dosage of sertraline to 200mg and stopped the benzos . I don't feel anxiety or depression, I feel fantastic, confident, energetic, happy

April 30, 2014 3:06 PM

Review by Diddle Drawers (taken for less than 1 month):

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: 49 yo female with post traumatic stress disorder..severe anxiety, crazy obsessive compulsive thoughts...led to depression. Started at 50 mg, start ups were horrible increased anxiety, and obsessive compulsive disorder, night sweats, waking up in a panic when I could sleep, lethargic, feeling stoned and like a walking zombie....skin was hot and tingley shaking on the inside. Feeling flat and NO motivation to even brush my teeth. Went down to 25mg for a few days and now back to 50mg. On day 11 now and most of the depression has lifted. OCD isn't as bad, its more controllable, anxiety still there a bit. If this is the beginning of the future I'm happy. It was worth the initial start! Can see the light at the end of this dark tunnel and I feel a bit free now.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 29, 2014 9:23 PM

Review by Crazycatlady967:

For Depression: Well I was gonna write a lot but apparently there's a character limit. So I guess we get the short version. Was on Paxil, after a while on it it made me have extreme outbursts of anger, constant depression, etc. Psychiatrist switched me to sertraline (started at 50mg, by end of 2 weeks I'm at 200mg). It's so wonderful. Reminds me of when you have a procedure, that first oxygen stuff. They give you that just takes the edge off everything. First couple days had nausea and diarrhea. Was worried this would last but didn't. Longest side effect has been headaches, which are easily handled with ibuprofen. The goods easily outweigh the bads, and this medicine has helped me in more ways than I can explain.

April 29, 2014 1:35 PM

Review by Sill (taken for 10 years or more):

Zoloft (sertraline) for Major Depressive Disorder: It keeps me from being suicidal. I have to have this. Great medicine.

April 26, 2014 10:42 PM

Review by Conspiracy (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I've been on Sertraline for about two years. I was originally taking 50mg and now I'm on 200mg. It DOES help my depression a great deal but doesn't really seem to do much for my anxiety. When I first started taking 200mg (from 150mg) I did feel slightly manic for about a week but then I calmed down a lot.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 23, 2014 7:41 AM

Review by Michibelle:

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: I was suffering from being a slave to my negative thoughts, making assumptions about my relationship that my partner was cheating on me or having a secret life, constantly being controlling over where things go in the house, how things should be, really severe mood swings and ridiculous anger which I would ignite a lot of arguments and have the urge to get physical and just completely lose it and not think rationally. My marriage was on the verge of failure due to my negative actions and my husband was at his breaking point. My doc prescribed me 50mg of Zoloft and I finally started it, I'm on week 2 and I feel incredibly calm, content and full of life again. I feel like I can handle situation in a positive manner.

332 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 21, 2014 8:13 PM

Review by Blue rose (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: On 50mg for 4 weeks then increased to 100mg for depression, panic attacks and obsessional thinking. I had few side effects, a slight hand tremor, yawning and difficulty sleeping. The only thing that lingered was the insomnia, but now that has settled down and I sleep okay. I feel so much better, panic attacks gone, obsessive compulsive disorder gone and my mood is lifting daily. I am enjoying life again and this medicine has been so right for me.

177 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 18, 2014 2:05 PM

Review by Milan**:

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: After years of trying different medications sertraline has finally been the most useful and compatible one for me. If only I had found this years ago as it has lifted my depression, improved my social skills and eased my obsessive compulsive disorder symptoms (would trigger after anxiety).

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 18, 2014 6:31 AM

Review by perezmama (taken for less than 1 month):

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: I am 24 years old and have a 14 week old son. I have fought with depression most of my life due to childhood and what not. After having my son everything came crashing down. I was on the brink of a divorce and suicidal. So I ask my Dr, he put me on 50mg of Zoloft and I'm now on day 4. Side effects for me are headache, tired, dizzy nausea. But I'm sticking to it hoping those will go away. My mood is so much better.

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 9, 2014 3:11 PM

Review by frustrated at 42 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Depression: I am a 42 year old man who has been on Sertraline 100mg daily for about 4 years. I was diagnosed with depression and put on medication and saw a psycologist who was no help at all. The medication cured my constant state of anger and irritation and I could actually spend time with my wife and 3 children without flying into a rage! People wonder why I am always laughing and generally happy as well as being extremely laid back about situations. The big down side I have found with this medication is the lack of libido. The brain still wants it but the man stick does not respond too often. It can take an age to ejaculate and keeping an erection can also be a problem. I have gained some weight and I sweat profusely.

April 9, 2014 2:08 AM

Review by Boy Wonder:

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: I took for 8 weeks, 53 year old male. I moved to a new town for job. It is pretty depressing when you don't know anyone. Zoloft 50 mg. First night NO sleep. Started taking at night with Ambien. I sleep for about 5 hours then I'm up at 3 am. Major side effects: inability to orgasm, clenched teeth, restless legs, trembling, loss of appetite, diarhea and sweating. First week was nausea, trembling but emotions were better. After 8 weeks, I think the side effects aren't worth the benefit. Quit cold turkey 4 days now. No major problems. Teeth clench still but, not as bad.

April 7, 2014 3:40 PM

Review by Bad to nice:

For : I was a mean person. In came the VA doctor who said " you need something that will calm you down". It started with 50 mg twice a day. That worked. I was a good guy again even the Doctor liked me. I had no side effects. About 6 months later my wife said you need something your getting mean again. I got mad, quiet Zoloft. Well I got real nasty quick. Wife called the doctor after 3 weeks. I got a call from VA nurse, telling me I had an appointment the next day. Needless to say I was put back on Zoloft after a huge argument with Doc and wife at the office. I left with prescription of 100 mg twice a day. Still no side effects. 5 years later I am still a nice guy. It's the best thing since breathing.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 1, 2014 1:50 AM

Review by annie larae curtis (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Zoloft (sertraline) for Panic Disorder: I had my first panic attack in June 2013. Thought I was going to die. Had them everyday after that. I couldn't go no where or do anything because I was so dizzy and scared. I went from June to Sept with no medicines. I was suicidal so I tried meds, First two days I was a zombie, no appetite. I felt weird but not like panic attack weird. I could tell a difference. I have been on my Zoloft 25ml since Sept 2013 and I am 97% better. I have my days where I feel weird but if you have severe panic attacks like I did you will know that even feeling 5% better would be nice so 97% is amazing! This medicine saved my life.

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 30, 2014 5:10 AM

Review by lanners (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety and Stress: I'm 15 and since elementary school I've had anxiety. In December 2013 it started getting severe to the point where I couldn't get any work done or fall asleep for hours. I was extremely concerned about my heart because my chest was hurting and I was having heart palpitations (which worried me more). I finally went to a psychologist mid-February and started Zoloft 25 mg a day for the first week. Now I'm on 50mg/day. I have never been happier. My life has completely turned around, I function like a normal person and I never worry about my heart anymore. I started noticing the Zoloft working at the beginning of the second week. Only side effect: decreased appetite for first few weeks, but 100% back to normal now. Zoloft truly changed my life.

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 29, 2014 5:47 PM

Review by demis (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I promised myself to come back on this site and gave my 10 points to sertraline. Back in 2010 I had my first episode of depression topped up with severe anxiety and all the typical symptoms. I was suicidal, foggy, so confused hopeless and the list goes on and on. Sertraline came to rescue and 4 months later I managed to claim my life back from this horrific and life threatening illness. In January 2014 I was diagnosed with a chronic illness and paranoia depression and anxiety came back in vengeance due to the diagnosis. Sertraline came again to rescue and exactly 3 months later I am back to normal again. The first 4 weeks are rocky with the side effects I was feeling more suicidal and I had diarrhea but then everything was eliminated.

March 28, 2014 12:28 PM

Review by Lorae:

Zoloft (sertraline) for Social Anxiety Disorder: I have problem with anxiety and depression. I've been using Zoloft for about one year and it is so much better. No depression, no bad mood, anxiety is not so high, perfect. I tried few times to stop, but I always fall in depression after that.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 27, 2014 3:53 PM