User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Vulvodynia 2 reviews 9 medications

Transverse Myelitis 0 reviews 2 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Sertraline reviews 759 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Sertraline

Review by Red button:

For Depression: OK, so have only been on 50mg sertraline for a week. They did give me an instant calmness which I wasn't expecting. However, the side effects are a little too much for me. Upset stomach, blurry vision, concentration problems, but the insomnia is the thing that's getting to me the most. 3 days of virtually no sleep is making me feel terrible. I'm getting off these as the cons outweigh the pros for me, but completely understand why others would stick with them. All medicuness work differently on people, sertraline just won't be for me.

March 3, 2014 2:55 PM

Review by anonymous from ca (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: I've dealt with many periods of depression in my life, but I hit an all-time low a year and a half ago culminating in a suicide attempt. This medication helped me get back on my feet. I started with a low dose (25mg/day-I'm small and female) and have slowly increased to the normal dosage my doctor prescribes for adults (50mg/day). I went off of it for two months after five months of taking it and fell back into depression. Went back on it and have been fine since. I don't think I will stop again for a while. Only problems are occasional insomnia and inability to orgasm anymore.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 3, 2014 2:50 AM

Review by Out of control (taken for less than 1 month):

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: I have been unemployed now for three years and things have gone from bad to worse. I found myself losing control of my temper and crying for no reason or if someone said something that negative. I couldn't sleep and when I did it was for two hours at a time. Sometimes I would stay up just crying. To add to my problems my back pain were getting worse. Doctor diagnose me with depression and gave me Zoloft. I started at 25mg for four days and then up to 50mg. It has been only a week, but I am not crying unexpectedly and feel calmer than I have in quite a while and have actually slept 5 hours straight. I had no side effects.

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 1, 2014 3:06 PM

Review by Mellisa1966:

For Depression: My doctor prescribed 50mg Setraline to help me with depression, suicidal thoughts, and social anxiety. I have just been taking it a week, but I am very pleased so far. I am able to leave my apartment, go shopping in horrendous crowds and traffic, and deal with stress at work without breaking down and becoming fixated. Fleeting thoughts of worthlessness, hopelessness, and suicide are easily pushed away. I do deal with nausea, diarrhea, sleeplessness, and fatigue, but I make sure I eat before I take my pill and I force myself to eat each time the nausea comes on. I may gain weight, but I do not think so because I am never hungry now. I am hoping that the calmness remains as I continue taking Sertraline.

February 19, 2014 2:52 PM

Review by Sky Grayson:

For Depression: I was taking Lexapro 10mg then upped to 20mg for the past 5 years. In the beginning it was great, I felt great, no anxiety or depression. But for the past two years my everyday life started to become a struggle. I became upset easily, I cried all the time, it was horrible. So my Dr and I decided that maybe the Lexapro had pooped out and to try a different antidepressant. So I began sertraline 50mgs. I've had no side effects except for some heartburn right after taking. So I began Prilosec to counteract this. I feel good. No anxiety and I can feel my depression lifting. I sleep fine no problems there. But I do take 25mgs of Vistaril at night so I'm sure that helps.

February 18, 2014 3:40 PM

Review by DCINIA45 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety and Stress: I've scrolled through about 3 pages of comments but I have failed to find one of the side effects I'm now thankfully free of. I had an INSATIABLE appetite for sugar, namely chocolate. But if none happened to be available and I was desperate, I'd just pour a cup of sugar and eat it with a spoon. I actually lost weight during the time I took it, but every evening I'd need to eat enough sugar for 10 people to curb the craving. Secondly, it was TERRIBLE for sex drive. Absolutely horrid. Overall this medicine was helpful for me, I'm in the process of dosing down now. which IS an awful process. Make sure to do what your doctor says. I'm doing it the right way and still have insomnia, rapid heart beat and brain zaps.

February 13, 2014 12:42 AM

Review by 413:

Zoloft (sertraline) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: I have been diagnosed with severe PMDD since the birth of my last child 4 years ago. I had her late in life (at 40) so the symptoms were confusing, PMS/Peri-Menopausal..combo of both. Either way I was ready to check into a funny farm and was in constant jeopardy of losing my job due to not being able to work 2-3 days a month or if I did manage to drag myself in I was unbearable to be around. I tried Prozac and initially helped but after 2-3 months of that I became manic and was worse. My OB suggested Zoloft and I reluctantly tried it as the next option was for hysterectomy because I cannot be on birth control pills. Zoloft helps at least for some of the worse symptoms!

February 8, 2014 8:48 AM

Review by J1234567 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I was on this for 5 days for anxiety, it gave me the worst panic attacks and ended up in A&E because they were so bad. Everyone reacts differently to medication and this just didn't agree with me. If it was my choice I would have come off after day 1, but doctor made me stay on it until day 5 until I broke down and couldn't cope. Now trying fluoxetine and seems much better so far.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 3, 2014 9:49 AM

Review by anonymous1997:

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: I'm 16, and over the course of a few months I started becoming more and more depressed and anxious, after trying a few other medications along with none at all (only therapy), I started taking Zoloft as it has helped others in my family. The first 10 days (started at 25mg) were horrible, suicidal thoughts, no appetite, headaches and terrible anxiety but once I hit 2 weeks I felt so much better. I'm now 6 weeks in and on 75mg, I feel amazing, still get headaches but I'm not sure if it's related, I feel almost 100% myself, I'll give it a few more weeks and see if I need to maybe get to 100mg but honestly this medication saved my life.

February 2, 2014 10:46 PM

Review by mazz3685 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft (sertraline) for Panic Disorder: I've suffered from panic disorder for over 10 years now. After a bad panic attack put me in an ambulance, I finally decided to try Zoloft. I would recommend that anyone with panic disorder start off at 12.5mg for a couple of weeks before you decide to up the dose. Mainly because the side effects can be rough when you first start. Only increase when YOU feel you need to, and not based on what a doctor feels is an effective dose. You are probably going to feel crappy the first couple weeks, this is the case for most people, and does not mean the medicine isn't working. It does eventually get better.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 1, 2014 3:10 AM

Review by angel239023 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Zoloft (sertraline) for Social Anxiety Disorder: I was on Zoloft for about 7 years. Worked great at first, but eventually had to come off it due to horrible side effects. If I missed a dose, I would have debilitating brain zaps. Then, I started the brain zaps randomly through the day regardless of missing a dose or not. This medicine killed my libido.

January 27, 2014 9:10 PM

Review by Gypsy heart:

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: I saw my doctor after the anxiety I'd been having the last year hit an all time high in the last six months. I would wake up wondering "Why? What am I even here for? what am I working for?" I suffered severe muscle tension in my shoulders and lower back, extreme irritability/mood swings & panic attacks..my heart would be POUNDING as if I'd run a 5k when really I was just lying in bed. It is day two of taking Zoloft...I'm singing (still terribly) to songs again. I feel I have gained the sense of "normal" that my life has always lacked. I am more clear-headed and find rational thinking easier. My depression and anxiety was destroying my relationships. I'm beginning to see this "light at the end of the tunnel" people speak of. 50mg a day.

145 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 25, 2014 2:22 AM

Review by mae22 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: Im 22 on Day 5 of 25mg Zoloft. tried Prozac before and it made me feel numb kind of zombie like. Zoloft is helping my mood, but I cant sleep at all, if I do manage to fall asleep I wake up an hour later. I clench my teeth and constantly need to move my legs at night. feel slightly confused at times. im hoping these side effects go away

January 21, 2014 12:19 AM

Review by sigmapi484 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Depression: I have progressed to 200mg a day. Now needed help and was given Wellbutrin. The combination seems to be working. But the side effects do exist. Cannot run out or stop taking it. Horrible feeling and dizziness. Also serial performance is affected.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 20, 2014 12:05 AM

Review by resji (taken for less than 1 month):

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: Diarrhea, uncontrollable muscle spasms, severe panic attacks, severe anxiety, severe restlessness, sweating, and bruising is all this medication did to me.

January 19, 2014 5:21 PM

Review by Anxiety, Depression (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: I started taking Zoloft about a month ago, in the first week i had some diarrhea and experienced some insomnia, but it soon disappeared. Within three weeks my depression and anxiety subsided. This medication changed my life.

107 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 18, 2014 1:39 AM

Review by anicko (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Zoloft (sertraline) for Panic Disorder: I promised to come back and do a review of the medicine if it had worked for me. About a year ago I had constant panic attacks which eventually became fear to drive, fear to be at a restaurant, waking up and feeling that it would be my last day on this world. Doctor said I have anxiety disorder. After trying another medicine with no results started me on 0.5mg Sertraline. After a year I can honestly say that I am 98% "panic free". Huge relief within the first couple weeks but give it some time to experience the full medicine effect (couple months). Noticeable side effects: Sometimes I need to focus on remembering simple things, weight LOSS (at the beginning) now I'm normal again.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 13, 2014 11:52 PM

Review by Weavnuts (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: I have tried a variety of SSRI antidepressant medications and Zoloft by far was the most useful in managing my anxiety and depression. I am bipolar 1 and also take lithium, propranolol, gabapentin, Vistaril and Klonopin. The main problem was that more recently I have begun having rapid cycling manic episodes forcing me to begin tapering off.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 13, 2014 5:38 AM

Review by Margey123 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: I mostly used this medication for my anxiety disorder of obsessive compulsive disorder. I also used it for PMDD. It worked wonders for my anxiety. It also lessened my PMDD symptoms of strong irritability, sadness, and anger before my period. I loved it! The only downside was that it made me very tired, even on only 50mg. I didn't have much energy to workout. This made me gain 5 pounds and I eventually got off it because I love being an active person.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 10, 2014 2:44 PM

Review by Quags (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety and Stress: Sertraline wasn't an awful medication by any means, but it just wasn't for me. Curbed my appetitie and I'm already very thin. Helped with some symptoms but not all. More effective for day-to-day problems likely.

January 8, 2014 8:08 PM

Review by boneycat:

For Social Anxiety Disorder: I've been on 200mg for a while now. I've had the side effect of diarrhea for 3 months now and I've lost weight. It helped a lot with my overall anxiety and depression. I missed one day of my dose and it made me very depressed.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 4, 2014 9:47 PM

Review by Buckythecat (taken for 10 years or more):

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: I have to say that Zoloft saved my life. I have been on it for over 10 years but about a year and half ago I switched to another pill just to try it. WHY I don't know, should have never left Zoloft. I then started to take a muscle relaxer for a sore shoulder, BE VERY CAREFUL in taking other medications with any antidepressants. The dread, the worthlessness the crying all came back. Back on Zoloft for about a week and I can function once again. THANK YOU ZOLOFT.

115 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 3, 2014 1:59 PM

Review by Muchbetternow (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Zoloft (sertraline) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I have now been on Zoloft for a solid 12 months (50mg). It has changed my life. I was prescribed it for depression, anxiety and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder - it has almost completely resolved issues I have had for most of my life. I hesitated in taking it due to side-effects mostly because I have always been obsessed with my weight. I'm happy to report that if anything, I have dropped weight in the last year. I no longer am tempted to binge eat and just lead a healthy and active lifestyle because I am happier. I really wanted someone to read this who was in my position - who was too scared to try it because of side-effects. My only side effects are dry eyes, I need to sleep 8 hours a night (instead of 5-6) and that's the worst of it!

140 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 29, 2013 4:06 AM

Review by mazz3685:

Zoloft (sertraline) for Panic Disorder: I think Zoloft can work well for panic disorders. I would've given it an 8-9, but the start up side effects were pretty rough for about 2 weeks, and a lot of other things seem to interact with it...at least in my case. I can't drink, at all. If I do, I experience side effects again for 2-3 days, including increased anxiety. Also, I've noticed that if I take ibuprofen or Tylenol, I also experience side effects again. I thought perhaps I was being paranoid, but there's actually studies that confirm they decrease effectiveness of SSRI's. When I don't drink or take pain meds, it works wonderfully, but its a bit of a pain. It also seems to help if you suffer from migraines.

December 28, 2013 7:27 PM

Review by bassmstr22 (taken for less than 1 month):

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: At first I was reluctant to take a pill even though I had been diagnosed with major depression. My family talked me into taking this medication. I am on my third week of taking Zoloft. The first week my doctor started me on 50mg. The first few days I felt awful but stuck with the medication. I had not felt much relief in my depression and anxiety on 50mg so my psych doc put me on 100mg after two weeks. I am on day 4 taking 100mg sertraline and have already started to notice a difference in my mood. I am less anxious and worry much less at work. I am also beginning to venture out of the house more than I used to. The only side effects I've had on sertraline are mild headache, diarrhea, and decrease in sexual performance.

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 22, 2013 6:37 PM