User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Vulvodynia 2 reviews 9 medications

Transverse Myelitis 0 reviews 2 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Sertraline reviews 748 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Sertraline

Review by Gypsy heart:

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: I saw my doctor after the anxiety I'd been having the last year hit an all time high in the last six months. I would wake up wondering "Why? What am I even here for? what am I working for?" I suffered severe muscle tension in my shoulders and lower back, extreme irritability/mood swings & panic attacks..my heart would be POUNDING as if I'd run a 5k when really I was just lying in bed. It is day two of taking Zoloft...I'm singing (still terribly) to songs again. I feel I have gained the sense of "normal" that my life has always lacked. I am more clear-headed and find rational thinking easier. My depression and anxiety was destroying my relationships. I'm beginning to see this "light at the end of the tunnel" people speak of. 50mg a day.

134 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 25, 2014 2:22 AM

Review by mae22 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: Im 22 on Day 5 of 25mg Zoloft. tried Prozac before and it made me feel numb kind of zombie like. Zoloft is helping my mood, but I cant sleep at all, if I do manage to fall asleep I wake up an hour later. I clench my teeth and constantly need to move my legs at night. feel slightly confused at times. im hoping these side effects go away

January 21, 2014 12:19 AM

Review by sigmapi484 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Depression: I have progressed to 200mg a day. Now needed help and was given Wellbutrin. The combination seems to be working. But the side effects do exist. Cannot run out or stop taking it. Horrible feeling and dizziness. Also serial performance is affected.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 20, 2014 12:05 AM

Review by resji (taken for less than 1 month):

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: Diarrhea, uncontrollable muscle spasms, severe panic attacks, severe anxiety, severe restlessness, sweating, and bruising is all this medication did to me.

January 19, 2014 5:21 PM

Review by Anxiety, Depression (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: I started taking Zoloft about a month ago, in the first week i had some diarrhea and experienced some insomnia, but it soon disappeared. Within three weeks my depression and anxiety subsided. This medication changed my life.

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 18, 2014 1:39 AM

Review by anicko (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Zoloft (sertraline) for Panic Disorder: I promised to come back and do a review of the medicine if it had worked for me. About a year ago I had constant panic attacks which eventually became fear to drive, fear to be at a restaurant, waking up and feeling that it would be my last day on this world. Doctor said I have anxiety disorder. After trying another medicine with no results started me on 0.5mg Sertraline. After a year I can honestly say that I am 98% "panic free". Huge relief within the first couple weeks but give it some time to experience the full medicine effect (couple months). Noticeable side effects: Sometimes I need to focus on remembering simple things, weight LOSS (at the beginning) now I'm normal again.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 13, 2014 11:52 PM

Review by Weavnuts (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: I have tried a variety of SSRI antidepressant medications and Zoloft by far was the most useful in managing my anxiety and depression. I am bipolar 1 and also take lithium, propranolol, gabapentin, Vistaril and Klonopin. The main problem was that more recently I have begun having rapid cycling manic episodes forcing me to begin tapering off.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 13, 2014 5:38 AM

Review by Margey123 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: I mostly used this medication for my anxiety disorder of obsessive compulsive disorder. I also used it for PMDD. It worked wonders for my anxiety. It also lessened my PMDD symptoms of strong irritability, sadness, and anger before my period. I loved it! The only downside was that it made me very tired, even on only 50mg. I didn't have much energy to workout. This made me gain 5 pounds and I eventually got off it because I love being an active person.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 10, 2014 2:44 PM

Review by Quags (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety and Stress: Sertraline wasn't an awful medication by any means, but it just wasn't for me. Curbed my appetitie and I'm already very thin. Helped with some symptoms but not all. More effective for day-to-day problems likely.

January 8, 2014 8:08 PM

Review by boneycat:

For Social Anxiety Disorder: I've been on 200mg for a while now. I've had the side effect of diarrhea for 3 months now and I've lost weight. It helped a lot with my overall anxiety and depression. I missed one day of my dose and it made me very depressed.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 4, 2014 9:47 PM

Review by Buckythecat (taken for 10 years or more):

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: I have to say that Zoloft saved my life. I have been on it for over 10 years but about a year and half ago I switched to another pill just to try it. WHY I don't know, should have never left Zoloft. I then started to take a muscle relaxer for a sore shoulder, BE VERY CAREFUL in taking other medications with any antidepressants. The dread, the worthlessness the crying all came back. Back on Zoloft for about a week and I can function once again. THANK YOU ZOLOFT.

105 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 3, 2014 1:59 PM

Review by Muchbetternow (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Zoloft (sertraline) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I have now been on Zoloft for a solid 12 months (50mg). It has changed my life. I was prescribed it for depression, anxiety and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder - it has almost completely resolved issues I have had for most of my life. I hesitated in taking it due to side-effects mostly because I have always been obsessed with my weight. I'm happy to report that if anything, I have dropped weight in the last year. I no longer am tempted to binge eat and just lead a healthy and active lifestyle because I am happier. I really wanted someone to read this who was in my position - who was too scared to try it because of side-effects. My only side effects are dry eyes, I need to sleep 8 hours a night (instead of 5-6) and that's the worst of it!

125 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 29, 2013 4:06 AM

Review by mazz3685:

Zoloft (sertraline) for Panic Disorder: I think Zoloft can work well for panic disorders. I would've given it an 8-9, but the start up side effects were pretty rough for about 2 weeks, and a lot of other things seem to interact with it...at least in my case. I can't drink, at all. If I do, I experience side effects again for 2-3 days, including increased anxiety. Also, I've noticed that if I take ibuprofen or Tylenol, I also experience side effects again. I thought perhaps I was being paranoid, but there's actually studies that confirm they decrease effectiveness of SSRI's. When I don't drink or take pain meds, it works wonderfully, but its a bit of a pain. It also seems to help if you suffer from migraines.

December 28, 2013 7:27 PM

Review by bassmstr22 (taken for less than 1 month):

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: At first I was reluctant to take a pill even though I had been diagnosed with major depression. My family talked me into taking this medication. I am on my third week of taking Zoloft. The first week my doctor started me on 50mg. The first few days I felt awful but stuck with the medication. I had not felt much relief in my depression and anxiety on 50mg so my psych doc put me on 100mg after two weeks. I am on day 4 taking 100mg sertraline and have already started to notice a difference in my mood. I am less anxious and worry much less at work. I am also beginning to venture out of the house more than I used to. The only side effects I've had on sertraline are mild headache, diarrhea, and decrease in sexual performance.

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 22, 2013 6:37 PM

Review by Larkspur94 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft (sertraline) for Social Anxiety Disorder: When I first started taking it I had a lot of side effects, like nausea, sleepiness, insomnia, muscle twitching, decreased sexual interest, headache, nightmares, need to move legs and others I can't remember but I was desperate to get rid of the anxiety so persisted. Most of the side effects went away after several days. I still have the leg movement and insomnia and but it's manageable. It took about 5 1/2 weeks before I noticed any effect by when I feel happier, like I can't even think in a depressed way, and I can talk to people online with ease. Still panic about the outside with strangers everywhere and conversing one on one is still hard. Nut now after 6 weeks my doctor has put me up from 50mg to 100mg so I'll see how that goes.

December 18, 2013 3:51 PM

Review by Bobo13:

Zoloft (sertraline) for Panic Disorder: Rgdadad, Your story sounds exactly like mine. I'm currently on 25mg, Day 13 not feeling better yet. I had severe attack last night.

December 17, 2013 5:52 PM

Review by Rgdadad:

Zoloft (sertraline) for Panic Disorder: This message is for anyone out there right now reading this. I am a 32 year old father of four with a wonderful wife. Good career/nice home. I had no reason to feel depressed/stress/panic/ anxiety however, a few months ago it happened and all started with first panic attack on night of my birthday. I fought doctors advice and tried to only take Xanax as needed all the while the symptoms became worse. After 3 long months I broke down and took my first Zoloft. 2 weeks later I am me again. Going places/eating/enjoying/laughing/living. This is the medicine you need/TAKE IT/don't think about it/TAKE IT. Your life will come back and only memories of panic/anxiety. Your brain is off balance due to stress. You need this medicine to correct it.

246 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 13, 2013 1:17 PM

Review by Hopeful Again (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft (sertraline) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: I started Zoloft in July. I never wanted to be on medication this was my last resort. I was a wreck mentally. I was only stable the week after my period, I would get very moody. My moods range from depression to panic attacks and so forth. The first 3 days were the hardest, the medicine seemed to make my symptoms worse than after about day 5 I felt the medicine start to do the opposite effect and I was more at ease. I am completing my fifth month on Zoloft and I am sure glad I started it. I am back to my old self but I'm not zoned out. I still have my real emotions, I'm just not as touchy as I was before Zoloft. I can get through the little things without having a mental breakdown.

December 12, 2013 4:20 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: Initially it helped with anxiety and depression. However, I started having manic episodes and rapid cycling while on it. My psychiatrist said no more SSRIs for me, and they generally aren't recommended for Bipolar. Now I wish I could have some of the anti-anxiety effects of Zoloft, but that benefit is not worth the risk. Zoloft gave me slight sexual side effects, overeating, and minor headaches. That being said, it is a miracle for some.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 11, 2013 10:16 PM

Review by mickey780:

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: Before I started taking Zoloft for depression and anxiety I was also suffering from insomnia. Was taking Ambien and Valium to help but the Ambien was not really helping my insomnia. Maybe get 3 hrs of sleep or 5hrs on a good night. Suffered from panic and anxiety attacks. Went to therapy and after some time Dr Recommended Zoloft. Was hesitant at first but could not live like this anymore so I started taking it about a year ago. Zoloft is the best thing I could have done. The first week or too I had side effects. But soon after depression lifted anxiety gone. I sleep great now.

111 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 11, 2013 3:42 PM

Review by lauz (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Depression: It does it's job. I've been on it for 5 years off and on because of pregnancies. I made decision to come off it and its been 1 month and I must admit my mood is low and the dizziness is horrible.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 11, 2013 2:14 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Very good, only problem I ever had was due to my own fault. It was when I kept forgetting to get my prescription refilled and it got to the point where it was about 2 weeks without it and I was very emotional and depressed. Not suicidal Just depressed. Probably 10 times worse then when I started the medication. It was very bad. Just take your medication and you should be fine. I missed a few days after that once or twice and nothing out of the ordinary happened. It was only because I went off for so long without weaning myself off. Overall great!

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 9, 2013 10:30 PM

Review by IndieVisible (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft (sertraline) for Social Anxiety Disorder: The first time I tried Zoloft I hated it, made me feel very nauseous. My doctor wanted me to start on 50mg for 5 days and then go to 100mg, I never made it to day 3 on 50mg. SO I decided to try half of a half approximately 25mg and that worked fine! After 5 days I went to 50, then 5 more days 100, no problems! What I noticed that at the end of the first week was I was more at ease. It not only helped my social anxiety but also reduced my general anxiety too stretching out my Xanax for when I really needed it the most. Worth noting I also take Wellbutrin with the Zoloft and while it's not perfect, I am very happy and pleased with this combination.

December 5, 2013 3:22 AM

Review by kc1234 (taken for less than 1 month):

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: Currently on 8th day of 25mg Zoloft. Experiencing Insomina and increased anxiety.

December 4, 2013 3:55 PM

Review by Anndiva (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft (sertraline) for Panic Disorder: Zoloft saved my life and my marriage. I am so grateful to the doctor who put me on this 9 weeks ago. A few side effects at start up but that went away in a matter of days and it has been smooth sailing since. Tons of energy, up early, great sleep, and I'm not binge eating. I've even lost 8.5 lbs. I was skeptical at first and hated the fact that I needed medication for anxiety and depression, but I'm really glad I gave it a shot. For now, I will continue on this medication.

113 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 29, 2013 7:30 AM