User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Vulvodynia 2 reviews 9 medications

Transverse Myelitis 0 reviews 2 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Sertraline reviews 700 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Sertraline

Review by Framous:

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: I just wanted to say that if you find a medication that works well for you, stay on it! The mistake that I have made and others make far too often is to quit the meds once you feel better. If you feel bad before you find the right med that makes you feel better, then you should keep in mind that it is the med that's working. If it's working, stay on it. If you have been diagnosed. With ADHD or Bipolar, or a combination like many have, it's probably not going away...it's there to stay. I will agree that it sucks being labeled with any mental condition, and I know it's no fun taking meds, especially meds for the head....but if they work, and you need them...stay on them! Life is short, so enjoy it as much as possible!

118 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 25, 2013 3:29 PM
Review by MAMA P (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: i never knew what it meant to be manic until i started taking Zoloft. My OCD got worse and I was so jittery, yet felt so high on life nothing could stop me.

October 23, 2013 6:54 PM
Review by teresacv: User Rating:

sertraline for Anxiety and Stress: I began taking sertraline to help with panic attacks, depression, and anxiety. These symptoms were the affect of an unhealthy work environment and having lost 3 immediate family members within 6 months. I began taking 25mg and felt no change. After a month and a half my doctor increased it to 50mg. I went from being angry all the time to crying all the time. We then increased the dosage 75mg and that has done the trick. I can not believe how well this medication works. I am more positive, HAPPY, and able to handle an extremely difficult working environment! I have not felt this good in years!

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 22, 2013 3:00 PM
Review by grateful for Sertraline: User Rating:

sertraline for Panic Disorder: 65 year old male. Started having panic attacks mid-July. Sense of doom, cardiophobia, fluttering in chest, loss of appetite. My internist diagnosed panic attacks and started me on Sertraline @ 25 mg./ day for one week, then up to 50 mg/day. I had some mild nausea and diminished libido for a few weeks, so doctor reduced dosage to 25 mg. where its been for 3 months. After the first 10 days or so of starting this medication anxiety and panic attacks became history. I feel like I got my life back. This drug worked wonders for me and I am thankful that my doctor recognized the problem and prescribed the correct treatment.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 22, 2013 1:37 AM
Review by Lucy57: User Rating:

sertraline for Anxiety and Stress: I had situational depression and was started on 50mg of Zoloft. It helped within a few weeks, but I had some major diarrhea when I started which seemed to start resolving itself, then I was upped to 75 mg and the diarrhea started again. It's been 10 months in total, and I still have episodes of diarrhea a few times a day for a few days. Then for a day or two I will be fine. I've lost about 19 pounds due to the appetite suppression effects and the diarrhea. I've also noticed a loss of libido but these are side effects I'm willing to live with as opposed to the depression. I am having my recommended at age 50 for screening purposes colonoscopy soon and am sure the diarrhea is not a cause for concern. We will find out.

October 21, 2013 4:28 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline) for Panic Disorder: Just like you, I was reading these reviews a few months ago when I finally made the decision to give medication a try. I hope this review helps and gives you comfort. I've been on 50 mg for seven weeks now.Started at 25mg for the first seven days. The first two weeks saw a spike in anxiety just like I figured. But I stayed with it, and I'm so glad I did. I had a pretty intense panic attack the first week, but I noticed something: I didn't stress out about having another one like I usually do. By the third week the panic attacks and panicky feelings were pretty much gone. I've also noticed that my mood has lifted, and I can fall asleep much better at night. This is my first ssri, and I really regret not seeking help sooner

October 21, 2013 1:40 PM
Review by Feel more positive (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline) for Panic Disorder: I'm currently 22 and a college student. I began having panic/anxiety attacks in July 2013. I thought I wasn't going to be able to attend class anymore cause I used to have a hard time sitting still. I felt the need to move around but at the same time I felt fatigued. I used to take L-Theanine, which helped some. I then switched to Zoloft, which is currently working good too. I feel more focused. I don't feel like crying for no reason anymore. I don't feel as angry at everyone anymore. Best of all, no apparent jitters--which was the main problem I was aiming at to get rid off. Thanks Zoloft. Now I can get back to focusing on my school work.

October 17, 2013 6:02 PM
Review by heyamykate (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

sertraline for Anxiety and Stress: I have been on Zoloft (sertraline) for a little over a year. It has made a huge difference in my quality of life - I no longer have constant anxiety or am paralyzed by inability to make a decision. I was afraid that it would make me feel like a zombie or feel emotionless, but instead I just feel much more in control and able to move on from things like a normal person. I was worried about weight gain on this, but my doc combined it with Wellbutrin to help with my depression and offset the Zoloft side effects, and it turned out to be a perfect combo!

October 15, 2013 10:50 AM
Review by Heismighty1970 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline) for Panic Disorder: It was prescribed for anxiety & post traumatic stress. It helped with that in addition to my mood. I am set at 150mg. When I first started off, it was 25mg, the first few days were a challenge. But I got over the hump. Now I'm planning to get off of it. I don't want to be dependant on this medicine too long.

October 14, 2013 12:29 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: This worked for me better than: Effexor, Wellbutrin, Cymbalta, and Lexapro. The only drawback is it made me gain about 25 lbs when the doctors assured me many people lose weight while taking it. Also it made my muscles a bit tense for the first few weeks, felt the need to clench my jaw and flex my ankles, but that got better as time went on. Definitely the best mood elevator. Also changed my sleeping pattern, I would wake up really early feeling ready to go which was nice, no urge to sleep in, but drawback was sometimes I had trouble sleeping through the night.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 8, 2013 12:56 AM
Review by IrishToo: User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline) for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: My husband died tragically. The grief of losing him was compounded by the events surrounding the suicide. I was overwhelmed with sorrow and despair. Was sobbing throughout the day, felt hopeless. Counselor and doctor felt I was suffering from post traumatic stress disorder. It's a miracle for me. Somehow it helps me bypass those debilitating thoughts. My mind doesn't go there unless I choose to. My feelings were like quicksand, pulling and keeping me down. I have periods of sadness over the loss but they are much less frequent and shorter duration. I thank God for it.

October 7, 2013 10:46 AM
Review by Maxcruz: User Rating:

sertraline for Social Anxiety Disorder: I've been on Zoloft for a few months and I haven't had an anxiety attack the whole time. It's a great med, my only few issues were feeling VERY fatigued, barely have a sex drive, short term memory is horrible, and sometimes feel foggy. I have tried Paxil and Prozac and they had the same effect on me...bottom line, Zoloft is an amazing SSRI for anxiety, with no weight gain for me. Unfortunately I've switched to Lexapro, only because I'm hoping I won't be as tired and maybe get my sex drive back a bit. If this doesn't work, I'll definitely go back to Zoloft and probably add a small dose of Wellbutrin. That combination made me feel the most normal but my doc wanted me to try Lexapro 1st.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 5, 2013 8:32 PM
Review by jlp46: User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: I have tried to battle my way through significant anxiety at work, and an increase in depressive symptoms for several years. I came to the decision that I was unable to keep the momentum of fighting by myself and saw my GP. This took a lot of courage and fighting feelings of failure as although I work in the Mental health field and recommend this type of medication for clients I was not transferring this to myself. I have taken for 5 weeks with very positive results in terms of mood and anxiety levels gradually improving, it's not perfect but I wouldn't expect that. I am taking 50mg daily. Side effects have been increased insomnia, but without so much anxiety, so it's bearable. I will continue to take for a considerable period.

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 2, 2013 10:43 AM
Review by Thumbs up: User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline) for Dysthymia: I've been having depressed feelings with anxiety on/off for over 2 years, due to death in the family, pet dying, I retired and was bored and attempted many futile attempts finding a girlfriend. It all piled up and not sure whether the depression started first or the anxiety but it ramped up on me and made me feel sad, anxious, socially inept, lacked interest in doing things I typically enjoyed, all the typical stuff except it led me to the ER one Sunday night because I was feeling suicidal. It's very frightening at 57 to not be in control. I quickly met with a psychiatrist and she prescribed me Zoloft, 25mg to start, increased to 50mg after the first week, and have been at 75mg now for the past 2 weeks and feel so much better.

September 26, 2013 3:01 AM
Review by hootan (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: Only thing is sexual dysfunction as side effect is terrible.

September 22, 2013 8:01 AM
Review by Retrospect1 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

sertraline for Depression: I was only on a 25 mg dose for two months. I noticed a very slight mood lift but not much else. I am currently starting a 20 mg dosage of Prozac.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 19, 2013 9:40 PM
Review by MikeSlingbladeMike: User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: I was prescribed Zoloft because of sleeplessness, anxiety and stress related to marital issues. It helped me with sleeping and seemed to lower my anxiety and stress (my marital situation improved at the same time, so hard to say if Zoloft or my situation helped lower those). I had to stop the medicine after a month because of severe side effects, including suicidal thoughts, weight loss, generally feeling flat all of the time, and mild headaches.

September 19, 2013 11:26 AM
Review by Cthomas1243: User Rating:

sertraline for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I never had a problem with this medicine. I used to take it in the past. 50 mg of Zoloft, but cut my doses down to 25 mg. Now, I'm taking it again and truly look to feeling better soon. Zoloft never gave me any issues in the past and look forward to an unclouded head and I can be focused shortly.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 16, 2013 10:11 PM
Review by LindzA (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: It was crazy how much Zoloft really helped me with anxiety & depression. I did stop taking it though because I began to realize after being on it for about 6 months that I felt like I didn't have feelings anymore about anything. That scared me, so I quit taking it. Now that I've been off of Zoloft for a month and a half, I'm really struggling with anxiety at work again so I do plan to get back on it.

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 10, 2013 8:23 PM
Review by Fi86 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline) for Panic Disorder: For most of my life I have felt something was wrong. Recently my anxiety began to feel worse than usual so I went to a new doctor. He prescribed me Sertraline. For the first week I felt anxiety and headaches, just quite 'wired'. I was worried I was going to damage my brain and the meds wouldn't work but then suddenly I felt 'fixed'! I am so relaxed now. I don't feel like I'm going mad from anxiety anymore! This is how I should have always felt. Glad I've sorted this out in my twenties. I wish I'd been prescribed this medication sooner!

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 8, 2013 7:35 PM
Review by zoloman (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: Been taking 100mg of Zoloft for about 5 weeks now to treat depression and general anxiety with what also may be a touch of obsessive compulsive disorder. I have to say the results were better than expected. I may have experienced a placebo effect within the first week when things seemed magically better but by the second week the anxiety and depression hit again. By weeks and 3 & 4 it began leveling off and I now feel more balanced emotionally. My mind isn't spending time fixating on things outside of my control and things have been looking up even though my personal situation has not improved all that much.

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 6, 2013 3:15 PM
Review by Stal (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

sertraline for Anxiety and Stress: I suffered from severe driving anxiety. Got to the point that I had to get my wife to do all the highway driving. Symptoms were lightheadedness, imbalanced, heart palpitations. I started Sertraline 4 weeks ago (50Mg). I have noticed a remarkable improvement. Back to doing all the highway driving, passing trucks able to stay in the fast lane with lots of traffic. One side effect however is daily diarrhea. Follow up this week with my doctor.

September 3, 2013 12:27 PM
Review by jaybee1: User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: I have been taking Zoloft for 8 weeks and the result has been amazing. The beginning was rocky with nausea, heavy head and fatigue, but it gets better. I am more confident, better at my job, I enjoy socializing far more, my relationship is saved and I generally feel more balanced. I have had anxiety since childhood and struck depression in late teens, am now 27. Not sure how long I will or should take Zoloft, but I am hugely relieved.

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 1, 2013 7:19 AM
Review by brosie: User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: I have major depression several years, it is worse lately with suicidal thoughts. I started out on 25 mg for four weeks saw little difference other than typical side effects. The fatigue was overwhelming for 10 days but got better after two weeks. Upped dose to 50mg bad anxiety and trembling inside for about six weeks but now am happy to say I'm much better no trembling, sometimes anxious but the sertraline has definitely been worth it. I'm still not sleeping as well as I would like, waking up three times a night and getting up at four a.m. wide awake. To all of you who are just starting on it hang in there, it will get better.

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 31, 2013 12:57 AM
Review by SteveAngel: User Rating:

sertraline for Depression: My experience hasn't been great on sertraline. I have suffered greatly with mood swings, my sexual life was non existent, I had experienced signs of mania/ deep depression, and very odd stress disorders

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate