User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Vulvodynia 2 reviews 9 medications

Transverse Myelitis 0 reviews 2 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Sertraline reviews 774 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Sertraline

Review by frustrated at 42 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Depression: I am a 42 year old man who has been on Sertraline 100mg daily for about 4 years. I was diagnosed with depression and put on medication and saw a psycologist who was no help at all. The medication cured my constant state of anger and irritation and I could actually spend time with my wife and 3 children without flying into a rage! People wonder why I am always laughing and generally happy as well as being extremely laid back about situations. The big down side I have found with this medication is the lack of libido. The brain still wants it but the man stick does not respond too often. It can take an age to ejaculate and keeping an erection can also be a problem. I have gained some weight and I sweat profusely.

April 9, 2014 2:08 AM

Review by Boy Wonder:

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: I took for 8 weeks, 53 year old male. I moved to a new town for job. It is pretty depressing when you don't know anyone. Zoloft 50 mg. First night NO sleep. Started taking at night with Ambien. I sleep for about 5 hours then I'm up at 3 am. Major side effects: inability to orgasm, clenched teeth, restless legs, trembling, loss of appetite, diarhea and sweating. First week was nausea, trembling but emotions were better. After 8 weeks, I think the side effects aren't worth the benefit. Quit cold turkey 4 days now. No major problems. Teeth clench still but, not as bad.

April 7, 2014 3:40 PM

Review by Bad to nice:

For : I was a mean person. In came the VA doctor who said " you need something that will calm you down". It started with 50 mg twice a day. That worked. I was a good guy again even the Doctor liked me. I had no side effects. About 6 months later my wife said you need something your getting mean again. I got mad, quiet Zoloft. Well I got real nasty quick. Wife called the doctor after 3 weeks. I got a call from VA nurse, telling me I had an appointment the next day. Needless to say I was put back on Zoloft after a huge argument with Doc and wife at the office. I left with prescription of 100 mg twice a day. Still no side effects. 5 years later I am still a nice guy. It's the best thing since breathing.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 1, 2014 1:50 AM

Review by annie larae curtis (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Zoloft (sertraline) for Panic Disorder: I had my first panic attack in June 2013. Thought I was going to die. Had them everyday after that. I couldn't go no where or do anything because I was so dizzy and scared. I went from June to Sept with no medicines. I was suicidal so I tried meds, First two days I was a zombie, no appetite. I felt weird but not like panic attack weird. I could tell a difference. I have been on my Zoloft 25ml since Sept 2013 and I am 97% better. I have my days where I feel weird but if you have severe panic attacks like I did you will know that even feeling 5% better would be nice so 97% is amazing! This medicine saved my life.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 30, 2014 5:10 AM

Review by lanners (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety and Stress: I'm 15 and since elementary school I've had anxiety. In December 2013 it started getting severe to the point where I couldn't get any work done or fall asleep for hours. I was extremely concerned about my heart because my chest was hurting and I was having heart palpitations (which worried me more). I finally went to a psychologist mid-February and started Zoloft 25 mg a day for the first week. Now I'm on 50mg/day. I have never been happier. My life has completely turned around, I function like a normal person and I never worry about my heart anymore. I started noticing the Zoloft working at the beginning of the second week. Only side effect: decreased appetite for first few weeks, but 100% back to normal now. Zoloft truly changed my life.

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 29, 2014 5:47 PM

Review by demis (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I promised myself to come back on this site and gave my 10 points to sertraline. Back in 2010 I had my first episode of depression topped up with severe anxiety and all the typical symptoms. I was suicidal, foggy, so confused hopeless and the list goes on and on. Sertraline came to rescue and 4 months later I managed to claim my life back from this horrific and life threatening illness. In January 2014 I was diagnosed with a chronic illness and paranoia depression and anxiety came back in vengeance due to the diagnosis. Sertraline came again to rescue and exactly 3 months later I am back to normal again. The first 4 weeks are rocky with the side effects I was feeling more suicidal and I had diarrhea but then everything was eliminated.

March 28, 2014 12:28 PM

Review by Lorae:

Zoloft (sertraline) for Social Anxiety Disorder: I have problem with anxiety and depression. I've been using Zoloft for about one year and it is so much better. No depression, no bad mood, anxiety is not so high, perfect. I tried few times to stop, but I always fall in depression after that.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 27, 2014 3:53 PM

Review by WanderingMind7:

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: Zoloft. You made me REALIZE, I've been locked out of HEAVEN for too long (I've been dancing and cleaning on this Bruno Mars song all morning). That's how I feel on my medication! I'm on day 4 of 50 mg and I'm supposed to increase it to 100mg after 10 days. I have been having side effects since the first day such as shaking, abdominal pain, insomnia but nothing too major compared too what the "Beast" (yes! I call my anxiety the beast hehe) had me endure before. So I really don't mind those side effects because I know what's ahead of me is going to be spectacular. I've never had so much faith in my life before, at least not that I remember.

154 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 20, 2014 11:56 AM

Review by Suzucki (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety and Stress: Sertraline has helped my life move on for the better. I was giving up on life, but gradually over 6 weeks I feel different and more interested and motivated to enjoy life. My dose is now 100mgs, so please stick with it.

March 19, 2014 1:02 PM

Review by Slogg:

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: After a month of bouncing between morning and night dosing of 1 50mg pill, I settled on morning. It was making me super sleepy but that went away mostly. Didn't gain but maybe 5lbs if that (I'm a gym rat somewhat). Felt really stoned the first week or so and sleeping was strange, maybe a little erectile dysfunction at first, but all of that went away too. A month in and the side effects are minimal. The panic is under control, but the depression is completely gone. THANKS A MILLION ZOLOFT.

128 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 17, 2014 10:44 AM

Review by Slogg (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft (sertraline) for Panic Disorder: It did a little something right from day 1, but really the first month was pretty strange. I went back and forth, finally settling on taking 1 50mg pill in the morning. At first that made me extra sleepy all day, but that effect went away. I was feeling a bit stoned for the first month or so, but that went away too. Now I have the ticklings of panic creep up in the normal situations, but if only for the placebo effect, I can tell myself it isn't real. It will go away. And then it always does! Thanks Zoloft!

March 17, 2014 10:41 AM

Review by CMP72:

Zoloft (sertraline) for Panic Disorder: My Dr. put me on 25mg to help me sleep and stop unwanted thoughts as a result of marital stress. I was experiencing a knot in my stomach and episodes of weeping. Since starting this medication, I feel so much happier, rested, relaxed. I had diarrhea for the first 2 days, but it was mild. I am not feeling out of control anymore. I think when my marriage issues are over, I will stop taking it. This medicine has really come through!

March 17, 2014 9:29 AM

Review by smileydie:

Zoloft (sertraline) for Social Anxiety Disorder: Ive been taking it for over 5 years and it works for the most part.

March 16, 2014 5:15 PM

Review by ninabee:

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I have been on sertraline for about 3-4 months now for Depression/Anxiety, OCD and PTSD. At first I thought it was helping, but now that I think about it I feel foggy all the time and kind of lifeless. I feel underwater as if I just drift through the day. I can't focus very well, and am constantly dissociating. I also have been having really severe suicidal thoughts, not that I'd carry them out, but I go from 1-10 in such a short amount of time it freaks me out the things I think about. Also it is near impossible to sleep on this medicine. I never have been an insomniac, but sleep terribly since starting this. I think I'm going to start weening myself off the 100 mg and see if my mind and thoughts start to clear.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 14, 2014 1:30 AM

Review by Eswes18 (taken for less than 1 month):

Zoloft (sertraline) for Social Anxiety Disorder: I have suffered with generalized anxiety disorder and social anxiety disorder since I can remember. I got prescribed these at 50mg 3 weeks ago. The first few days I got a horrible cold nausea feeling in the pit of my stomach, I had no appetite and I noticed straightaway that it took me longer to orgasm. 3 months into them, I still feel anxious, but for the first time since I can remember I was able to present to a group without shaking, losing my voice and my heart beating rapidly. It almost feels like a small weight has been lifted which gives you that control back over my thoughts. I was able to say 'put your best into it. You will be fine' and I believed it. This is only a small step to overcoming my anxiety but this medication has helped me a lot.

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 6, 2014 9:39 AM

Review by Red button:

For Depression: OK, so have only been on 50mg sertraline for a week. They did give me an instant calmness which I wasn't expecting. However, the side effects are a little too much for me. Upset stomach, blurry vision, concentration problems, but the insomnia is the thing that's getting to me the most. 3 days of virtually no sleep is making me feel terrible. I'm getting off these as the cons outweigh the pros for me, but completely understand why others would stick with them. All medicuness work differently on people, sertraline just won't be for me.

March 3, 2014 2:55 PM

Review by anonymous from ca (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: I've dealt with many periods of depression in my life, but I hit an all-time low a year and a half ago culminating in a suicide attempt. This medication helped me get back on my feet. I started with a low dose (25mg/day-I'm small and female) and have slowly increased to the normal dosage my doctor prescribes for adults (50mg/day). I went off of it for two months after five months of taking it and fell back into depression. Went back on it and have been fine since. I don't think I will stop again for a while. Only problems are occasional insomnia and inability to orgasm anymore.

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 3, 2014 2:50 AM

Review by Out of control (taken for less than 1 month):

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: I have been unemployed now for three years and things have gone from bad to worse. I found myself losing control of my temper and crying for no reason or if someone said something that negative. I couldn't sleep and when I did it was for two hours at a time. Sometimes I would stay up just crying. To add to my problems my back pain were getting worse. Doctor diagnose me with depression and gave me Zoloft. I started at 25mg for four days and then up to 50mg. It has been only a week, but I am not crying unexpectedly and feel calmer than I have in quite a while and have actually slept 5 hours straight. I had no side effects.

105 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 1, 2014 3:06 PM

Review by Mellisa1966:

For Depression: My doctor prescribed 50mg Setraline to help me with depression, suicidal thoughts, and social anxiety. I have just been taking it a week, but I am very pleased so far. I am able to leave my apartment, go shopping in horrendous crowds and traffic, and deal with stress at work without breaking down and becoming fixated. Fleeting thoughts of worthlessness, hopelessness, and suicide are easily pushed away. I do deal with nausea, diarrhea, sleeplessness, and fatigue, but I make sure I eat before I take my pill and I force myself to eat each time the nausea comes on. I may gain weight, but I do not think so because I am never hungry now. I am hoping that the calmness remains as I continue taking Sertraline.

February 19, 2014 2:52 PM

Review by Sky Grayson:

For Depression: I was taking Lexapro 10mg then upped to 20mg for the past 5 years. In the beginning it was great, I felt great, no anxiety or depression. But for the past two years my everyday life started to become a struggle. I became upset easily, I cried all the time, it was horrible. So my Dr and I decided that maybe the Lexapro had pooped out and to try a different antidepressant. So I began sertraline 50mgs. I've had no side effects except for some heartburn right after taking. So I began Prilosec to counteract this. I feel good. No anxiety and I can feel my depression lifting. I sleep fine no problems there. But I do take 25mgs of Vistaril at night so I'm sure that helps.

February 18, 2014 3:40 PM

Review by DCINIA45 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety and Stress: I've scrolled through about 3 pages of comments but I have failed to find one of the side effects I'm now thankfully free of. I had an INSATIABLE appetite for sugar, namely chocolate. But if none happened to be available and I was desperate, I'd just pour a cup of sugar and eat it with a spoon. I actually lost weight during the time I took it, but every evening I'd need to eat enough sugar for 10 people to curb the craving. Secondly, it was TERRIBLE for sex drive. Absolutely horrid. Overall this medicine was helpful for me, I'm in the process of dosing down now. which IS an awful process. Make sure to do what your doctor says. I'm doing it the right way and still have insomnia, rapid heart beat and brain zaps.

February 13, 2014 12:42 AM

Review by 413:

Zoloft (sertraline) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: I have been diagnosed with severe PMDD since the birth of my last child 4 years ago. I had her late in life (at 40) so the symptoms were confusing, PMS/Peri-Menopausal..combo of both. Either way I was ready to check into a funny farm and was in constant jeopardy of losing my job due to not being able to work 2-3 days a month or if I did manage to drag myself in I was unbearable to be around. I tried Prozac and initially helped but after 2-3 months of that I became manic and was worse. My OB suggested Zoloft and I reluctantly tried it as the next option was for hysterectomy because I cannot be on birth control pills. Zoloft helps at least for some of the worse symptoms!

February 8, 2014 8:48 AM

Review by J1234567 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I was on this for 5 days for anxiety, it gave me the worst panic attacks and ended up in A&E because they were so bad. Everyone reacts differently to medication and this just didn't agree with me. If it was my choice I would have come off after day 1, but doctor made me stay on it until day 5 until I broke down and couldn't cope. Now trying fluoxetine and seems much better so far.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 3, 2014 9:49 AM

Review by anonymous1997:

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: I'm 16, and over the course of a few months I started becoming more and more depressed and anxious, after trying a few other medications along with none at all (only therapy), I started taking Zoloft as it has helped others in my family. The first 10 days (started at 25mg) were horrible, suicidal thoughts, no appetite, headaches and terrible anxiety but once I hit 2 weeks I felt so much better. I'm now 6 weeks in and on 75mg, I feel amazing, still get headaches but I'm not sure if it's related, I feel almost 100% myself, I'll give it a few more weeks and see if I need to maybe get to 100mg but honestly this medication saved my life.

February 2, 2014 10:46 PM

Review by mazz3685 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft (sertraline) for Panic Disorder: I've suffered from panic disorder for over 10 years now. After a bad panic attack put me in an ambulance, I finally decided to try Zoloft. I would recommend that anyone with panic disorder start off at 12.5mg for a couple of weeks before you decide to up the dose. Mainly because the side effects can be rough when you first start. Only increase when YOU feel you need to, and not based on what a doctor feels is an effective dose. You are probably going to feel crappy the first couple weeks, this is the case for most people, and does not mean the medicine isn't working. It does eventually get better.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 1, 2014 3:10 AM