Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Dissociative Identity Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications

Transverse Myelitis 0 reviews 2 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Sertraline reviews 875 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Sertraline

Review by Felinelover13 (taken for less than 1 month):

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: I have been on sertraline for 4 weeks and a day, my dr started me on 50mg, then after 3 weeks and 3 days she upped my dosage to 100mg, I have felt the side effects so I know this medication is doing something, however, I don't feel any better for taking it, I thought by now it would kick in..

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 6, 2014 5:36 PM

Review by LMGale (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft (sertraline) for Major Depressive Disorder: I'm very surprised at what this medication has done for me. I have been prescribed an SSRI multiple times but never took one because I was convinced my feelings of guilt and anxiety were appropriate reactions to my failures in life. I have lived a bohemian life chasing contentment and self respect. In a new relationship and questioned by my partner about my inconsolable sense of unhappiness, I realized I needed to try something other than running away so in a last ditch move, signed up for a depression study that has given me 6 mos of Zoloft medication. I have clarity now I haven't experienced in a decade, it is wonderful and sobering because I realize now how serious chemical depression is. Don't self medicate, it's OK to get help!

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 5, 2014 12:36 PM

Review by qwerty123456:

Zoloft (sertraline) for Social Anxiety Disorder: I was born 1982 and throughout my adult life I have had problems with anxiety. I only really knew the true extent of how bad I was until I started taking 50mg of sertraline a couple of weeks ago. I went through my life self medicating whether it was alcohol or going for 8 mile runs just so I could relax. I realize now I heard the word "paranoid" pretty often which I now realize is very close to being anxious for obvious reasons. What strikes me about some of these reviews is many say its taken weeks to kick in. I suppose everyone is different but I felt my life change after 1 hour after taking a tablet. I now have an aura of calmness in my life. I feel like I'm at peace and living within the moment for the first time in years.

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 5, 2014 5:51 AM

Review by Anonymous2437585:

For Anxiety and Stress: I am 17 years old and I have just started taking Zoloft 25 mg for 2 days for stress, depression, anxiety and insomnia. The first night I took it at 6. I felt high, my pupils were big, and I couldn't stop smiling. When I woke up for school in the morning I was half awake and half asleep. Don't remember shutting my alarm off and getting out of bed. I had yawning episodes all day. And I also felt very happy. Some of these side effects suck, but I'm sticking it out. Hope it continues to make me feel happy!

December 4, 2014 9:05 PM

Review by Dan1234321 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Social Anxiety Disorder: This medication is great for depression, however, I am not really feeling much change in Social Phobia - except for preventing blushing, but not in all situations. I have been on it for 5 1/2 weeks so I am still giving it time. The side effects are easily coped with, and it didn't escalate my anxiety to begin with, although it made me very drowsy.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 4, 2014 11:00 AM

Review by Dan1234321:

For Depression: This medication works great for depression, even at lower doses (50mg). It generally makes you happier, but only after a few weeks. In the first week it may make you more depressed (and anxious). It started working in the third week for (moderate) depression.

December 4, 2014 10:56 AM

Review by Male_24_Caucasian (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Bipolar Disorder: I was prescribed with sertraline a few years ago for MDD and bipolar disorder. Even tough it took some time to produce positive effects, sertraline was, indeed effective (especially when combined with bupropion and escitalopram). The mood variations disappeared, depression decreased. From the negative side, it produced a decrease in libido, and an extreme decrease in creativity. If you are a composer, a painter, a writer, etc, you should, in my opinion, expect a possible and very pronounced decrease in creativity during the its use. The temptation to interrupt the treatment for the benefit of recovering the creativity should be strongly resisted.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 2, 2014 7:01 PM

Review by bellazmomma (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety and Stress: Please give this medicine a try. I have had some mild anxiety since my 20's, and after I had a child and now I'm in my 40's it got pretty bad to the point where I would have a panic attack in my car every day and I developed a fear of driving. I also had very bad health anxiety and ended up in the ER for a panic attack. I was very scared of taking any prescriptions because of all the horrific reviews, but panicking in my car was no way to live either so I decided to try Zoloft. The first 2 weeks the side effects were rough: nausea, loss of appetite, dizziness, dry mouth, but the anxiety was getting better from day one. I started with 25mg and worked myself up to 50mg. The side effects pretty much subsided after week 3 and now I feel great.

December 1, 2014 4:27 PM

Review by JerseyLeighx (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: I always read these but never put on my own thoughts. I'm a 27 year old female with 2 young beautiful girls, and a very loving husband. It all sounds so perfect but my mood is far from that. I've been suffering silently with depression for years but only spoke to my doctor 6 months ago. 50mg made me worse, my mood was lower than before, shakes, heart palpitations etc but after a week, all side effects stopped but my mood was still lower than ever. Upped too 100mg, felt slightly better. Upped again to 150mg still felt better but then all of a sudden my depression got so much worse than it has ever been. Now on 200mg, still feel so low & down & zombified. Can't make decisions, just numb.

November 30, 2014 4:45 AM

Review by Anonymous..:

Zoloft (sertraline) for Panic Disorder: I'm a very young adult and was in therapy for years from Post traumatic stress disorder from childhood that caused other problems I have now which include anxiety, panic, depression, attachment disorders and fear of abandonment, and most importantly borderline personality disorder. My psychologist and I experimented with a few different antidepressants such as Celexa and Abilify, but Zoloft was my favorite. It was good for me because I no longer had any anxiety attacks causing me to faint over things I couldn't control. When something did happen that would normally make me anxious or panicky, it was a significantly reduced reaction. That was also the bad thing, I almost got in an accident because I was numbed to any emotion, including awareness. I became lazy.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 30, 2014 1:41 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Zoloft (sertraline) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I've been on 50mg of Zoloft for three weeks now... it seems to be working pretty well. My obsessive thoughts started to have trouble materializing in my mind then before I knew it.. I started to feel like myself again and the thoughts and anxiety seem to have diminished.

November 29, 2014 5:16 PM

Review by Anon321:

Zoloft (sertraline) for Social Anxiety Disorder: Did NOT want to take meds, but I am so glad I finally hit rock bottom and decided Zoloft was an option worth considering. Seriously, it has completely changed my life. As long as you have a reputable therapist/doctor giving you the meds, there should be no major issues. Had some problems with sleep at first, but I started taking melatonin at night and now it's all good.

November 26, 2014 3:23 AM

Review by traciii (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Zoloft (sertraline) for Panic Disorder: After trying just therapy for panic disorder, major depressive, and general anxiety I finally gave in and starting taking Zoloft. THANK GOD! I haven't had a single panic attack in 5 years when at one point I was having them up to ten times a day! I have had zero side effects. I also took it through pregnancy. I'm 28 and I'm fine with taking Zoloft forever, living without anxiety is just amazing!

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 25, 2014 11:16 AM

Review by Koalamaiden - NSW (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft (sertraline) for Major Depressive Disorder: Zoloft is a very good medication for anxiety and depression. For me better with anxiety. I am BiPolar I, am also on Zyban 150 a day. Taking these two medications together is fine as is also taking when you are BiPolar. Only with a specialists direction, though. I have been on Zoloft a couple of times the only side effect before was severe diarrhea. This time when I started taking it I got butterflies in the stomach and flutters, but over time this unusual for me side effect left me. Some say how many weeks to feel a impact. For me this last time was around 6 weeks. Which is normal. It's been proven that any time prior 4 weeks is most likely placebo effect. But if you feel better well, whether a placebo effect or not, it's good.

November 25, 2014 7:41 AM

Review by Ashley2432:

Zoloft (sertraline) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I am a little over 2 weeks in. I was diagnosed with panic disorder and obsessive compulsive disorder 2 months ago. I tried everything to avoid taking medicines. Did therapy, yoga, changed my diet, etc. I started to feel better but it was still a constant effort to lift my moods and stop my obsessive thinking. I was beyond nervous taking medicines but finally decided to after my sister convinced me (she's been on sertraline) for 2 years. I am loving it now and so happy I am giving it a shot. The adjustment was tough for me but so happy I preservered. I realized you don't get extra points in this world for suffering.

November 24, 2014 8:17 PM

Review by Cnels38:

For Social Anxiety Disorder: I've been on Zoloft for 25 days and it's done the opposite of help me. It has made my confidence go down and caused a lot of antisocial behavior in me.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 23, 2014 8:25 PM

Review by blahk (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft (sertraline) for Panic Disorder: I've always had generalized anxiety & social anxiety ever since I can remember, but I would still push myself to go places like mall, Walmart, or just walk out my front door, not knowing what was wrong with me. So around 17 I dropped out of school, & started working as a cashier, did good & managed to control my anxiety, until I'm 18 now, and here come the panic attacks & agoraphobia kicking in. I hated leaving the house & just being around people period. So I quit my job; I went to the doctor he put me on Paxil 10mg, then Paxil 20mg didnt do anything, then Zoloft 50mg then 100mg a month later. Overall my mood is much better/calmer. I'm still a shaky mess in public & even around people.

November 22, 2014 10:35 PM

Review by Calmified:

Zoloft (sertraline) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: There was a point where I had been forgetting to take the Zoloft that had been prescribed to me for social anxiety (and it had worked quite well in decreasing the symptoms of that disorder) and during the time I had been forgetting to take the meds, things took a turn for the worse. It all started with an intrusive thought, and that was what triggered my first, horrific episode of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. It took me a while to piece together the reason why the OCD had developed and persisted, but finally I realized that my Zoloft had possibly been suppressing an earlier development of OCD due to it's anti-anxiety effects (OCD is characterized by anxiety.) I then got back on the medication, and it literally only took an hour for the OCD to significantly vanish.

November 22, 2014 8:44 PM

Review by Amazed and Grateful (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety and Stress: I have ALWAYS suffered from anxiety and depression. It has been my experience that meds often do not act "typically" when I take them, so I was wary of sertraline. I started out with 25 mg per day from my psychiatris. When he prompted me to increase to 50 mg, I did so, and experienced the "zoned-out" feeling of unreality--not scary--just distracting. When I stay at 25 mg per day, I feel normal. Anxiety is at a minimum, and depression is manageable. I feel fortunate and blessed. I just wonder why such a low dose for me has such a huge positive impact. Anyone else experience this phenomenom?

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 22, 2014 8:28 PM

Review by Molly woppit:

For Bipolar Disorder: Zoloft brought me out of a deep depression nothing else worked. I am concerned it will make me manic as im bipolar 1, so far so good. I do get a tremor with it but I'm also on lithium.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 21, 2014 2:48 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Zoloft (sertraline) for Social Anxiety Disorder: Feel so good when it finally start working at day #15. Feel calm in public for the first time in my life. Only cons is not able to orgasm and increased sweating.

November 20, 2014 2:21 PM

Review by Toxica (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: I started to develop depression around puberty, over the years it became more and more intense. Some days I would cry and have to leave school, around two years ago my Doctor put me on 50mg of Zoloft. The first few weeks were a wreck, I had terrible nausea, was tired all the time, could barely eat, and some days I would experience a zombie feeling. After the Zoloft started to kick in the side effects subsided. I went through bouts of not taking it and then I would feel bad and start taking it again, every time I went back on the pill the stomach pains increased to were I would eat once every other day. Since then I have been put on a new medication that I hope starts kicking in. All in all Zoloft was amazing, if you stick to it.

November 20, 2014 11:28 AM

Review by Nurse Nan (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: I am 39 years old, was a new nurse and struggling with major depression. I had not been to a Dr in years and broke down crying at the first visit. Started 50 mg a day. Felt a little funny first couple days but now feel much better! Everyone noticed a change for the better and even got a promotion at work! Feel so much better and have not had any side effects!

160 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 16, 2014 12:06 PM

Review by brendiszz (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I have been taking Setraline for 6 months due to Anxiety and mild depression. I am a natural happy and outgoing woman, but due to pressure and high expectations, I guess, I started feeling anxious and sad all the time. I used to feel chest tightness, rapid palpitations and fear to fail or not do good in life and eventually become a failure. I remember I used to get horrible headaches on a daily basis and even stomach issues. Mind you, I even had a colonoscopy and endoscopy done due to the severity of the digestive problem although the results were okay. Also, I hadinsomia and fatigue. I must confess that all those terrible "symptoms" went away once I started taking this medicine. My mood has improved and I've noticed that I am much happier.

November 12, 2014 2:13 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft (sertraline) for Major Depressive Disorder: I've been on Zoloft for the past four months and it's worked great! I'd been on 3 other medications before that and none of them have worked as well as Zoloft when it's coupled with 15mg of Buspar and 20mg of Adderall. My anxiety has dropped, my mood has improved dramatically, and I've even lost weight, which I haven't been able to do since I recovered from my eating disorder. Unfortunately I think I'm going to have to have my dosage upped because of my Seasonal Affective Disorder, but otherwise it's worked very well.

November 11, 2014 7:18 PM