User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Sertraline review summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 17 medications used in the treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Review by rchippex (taken for less than 1 month):

Zoloft (sertraline): I was offered sertraline (Zoloft) after a relapse of Generalized Anxiety Disorder which brought with it a severe case of Pure-o intrusive thoughts of the harm variety. These thoughts were ruining my life and making me depressed. I was prescribed 50mg per day. The first 3 days were hell with a huge increase in fatigue, depression and intrusive thoughts. I almost gave up it was that bad. I was using diazepam 2mg In those first 3 days and thought they weren't playing nice with the Zoloft so I stopped them. I saw instant improvement after doing so. Now I am 7 days in and have had the best day ever. My intrusive thoughts are far fewer and far easier to simply dismiss. Amazed.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 29, 2014 3:45 PM

Review by LOLO244:

Zoloft (sertraline): I used to spend hours searching the web for some sort of cure for my obsessive thoughts. I was looking for answers and had fear of depression and anxiety. I have been taking this medication two months and I can honestly see an improvement in the person I am becoming. I am more patient for sure. I still have minimal anxiety but I am able to think through it without sitting in my bed and crying. I am someone who is terrified of ALL medication but I knew I had to do something for myself. At age(20) This has been such a positive experience and I plan on moving up my dose to see more improvements. I was in CBT for a year prior to this medication but found myself actually becoming worse. STAY OFF GOOGLE AND TAKE IT.

December 12, 2014 4:08 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Zoloft (sertraline): I've been on 50mg of Zoloft for three weeks now... it seems to be working pretty well. My obsessive thoughts started to have trouble materializing in my mind then before I knew it.. I started to feel like myself again and the thoughts and anxiety seem to have diminished.

November 29, 2014 5:16 PM

Review by Ashley2432:

Zoloft (sertraline): I am a little over 2 weeks in. I was diagnosed with panic disorder and obsessive compulsive disorder 2 months ago. I tried everything to avoid taking medicines. Did therapy, yoga, changed my diet, etc. I started to feel better but it was still a constant effort to lift my moods and stop my obsessive thinking. I was beyond nervous taking medicines but finally decided to after my sister convinced me (she's been on sertraline) for 2 years. I am loving it now and so happy I am giving it a shot. The adjustment was tough for me but so happy I preservered. I realized you don't get extra points in this world for suffering.

November 24, 2014 8:17 PM

Review by Calmified:

Zoloft (sertraline): There was a point where I had been forgetting to take the Zoloft that had been prescribed to me for social anxiety (and it had worked quite well in decreasing the symptoms of that disorder) and during the time I had been forgetting to take the meds, things took a turn for the worse. It all started with an intrusive thought, and that was what triggered my first, horrific episode of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. It took me a while to piece together the reason why the OCD had developed and persisted, but finally I realized that my Zoloft had possibly been suppressing an earlier development of OCD due to it's anti-anxiety effects (OCD is characterized by anxiety.) I then got back on the medication, and it literally only took an hour for the OCD to significantly vanish.

November 22, 2014 8:44 PM

Review by Jose88:

Excellent for this condition!!

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 9, 2014 2:32 PM

Review by jackman7800:

Zoloft (sertraline): My obsessive compulsive disorder is lifted and is relieved almost immediately best pill ever!

October 27, 2014 6:07 PM

Review by hii (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft (sertraline): Not helping for my Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. On max dose now, and still nothing. I get this feeling of the skin on my head contracting...I don't know if that's normal.

October 25, 2014 1:27 PM

Review by Milkykiss (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft (sertraline): It's my third time returning back to Zoloft and I'm 21. First time I've used Zoloft I was only 15 and it was for Social Anxiety/Severe Depression and it helped me tremendously. Stopped it after one year and maybe... 6 months later my anxiety was back along with obsessive compulsive disorder. Anyway, I'm back on it and after 1 month I can say this IT'S PERFECT. I'm lucky to not have any side effects (except maybe a little bit of diziness but I don't care) and I feel so much better!!! I'm way LESS ANXIOUS, OCD is diminished by 3/4 (I still need to follow therapy for this problem), no more black thoughts, I'm also more focused at school and my thoughts are more coherent/clear. I don't think I'll ever stop this medication... For me, it's a life saver.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 3, 2014 6:59 PM

Review by ocdsufferer (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Zoloft (sertraline): I had terrible obsessive compulsive disorder for about 6 years. I remember that I spent all my night on going and coming to toilet for peeing. After I went to the university I was shocked by the bad way of teaching and bad instructors and suddenly the OCD became worse and worse and the hell was eating in my brain. I spent all my wake up time thinking and thinking about silly things and I suffered from terrible pain in my neck, my brain, and my stomach. I went to 7 doctors and tried many medications before I found Zoloft. I tried Anafranil, Solotic, Faverin, Xanax, Atarax, Seroxat, fluoxetine and finally I went to a very good doctor who put me on Zoloft 200mg with risperidone 2mg. That works as a wizard for me after 6 years of the hell of OCD.

August 26, 2014 9:20 AM

Review by Severe health anxiety/OCD (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft (sertraline): I have suffered with severe health anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder related to this anxiety for about 6 years. I would spend countless hours a day googling symptoms and doing certain health related rituals, and it was taking over my life. I finally talked to my doctor at the urging of my family and ended up on 50 mg of Zoloft. I didn't want to take it because part of my health anxiety is a fear of any type of medication. After about 3 weeks of it sitting untouched in my cabinet I started to take it. I didn't feel strange - no side effects. Maybe a little more sleepy at night? After about 3 weeks on Zoloft I noticed that I didn't have the urge to Google health symptoms anymore and I would *forget* to do some of my daily rituals.

104 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 6, 2014 1:50 AM

Review by ninabee:

I have been on sertraline for about 3-4 months now for Depression/Anxiety, OCD and PTSD. At first I thought it was helping, but now that I think about it I feel foggy all the time and kind of lifeless. I feel underwater as if I just drift through the day. I can't focus very well, and am constantly dissociating. I also have been having really severe suicidal thoughts, not that I'd carry them out, but I go from 1-10 in such a short amount of time it freaks me out the things I think about. Also it is near impossible to sleep on this medicine. I never have been an insomniac, but sleep terribly since starting this. I think I'm going to start weening myself off the 100 mg and see if my mind and thoughts start to clear.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 14, 2014 1:30 AM

Review by Muchbetternow (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Zoloft (sertraline): I have now been on Zoloft for a solid 12 months (50mg). It has changed my life. I was prescribed it for depression, anxiety and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder - it has almost completely resolved issues I have had for most of my life. I hesitated in taking it due to side-effects mostly because I have always been obsessed with my weight. I'm happy to report that if anything, I have dropped weight in the last year. I no longer am tempted to binge eat and just lead a healthy and active lifestyle because I am happier. I really wanted someone to read this who was in my position - who was too scared to try it because of side-effects. My only side effects are dry eyes, I need to sleep 8 hours a night (instead of 5-6) and that's the worst of it!

202 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 29, 2013 4:06 AM

Review by TestRoute:

I have been taking 100mg once daily for 7 weeks. I have OCD with a racing mind, slight panics and obsessive thoughts. I re-read emails I send over and over... Within 2 days of starting the drug I found my racing mind wake ups in the middle of the night had stopped, so I am more relaxed at night and not in fear of the hours spent with music and strange thought playing on a loop in my head. My Doctor said that my night time relaxing was unusual because people often find themselves suffering insomnia. After now getting used to the new found night calm I have discovered that I am actually still sort of suffering the issues but I am more relaxed about it, so I still wake and roll around but without the anxiety and high stress that I had.

November 12, 2013 7:21 AM

Review by Kris Marie (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Zoloft (sertraline): I highly recommend trying this medicine. I've been suffering with extreme anxiety/ocd for years. Tried lexapro(bad weight gain & didnt feel any different), elavil(did the same as lexapro) and pristiq(made me feel worse). Finally I went to a psychiatrist & he immediately put me on zoloft 25 mg (sertraline) & small dose of xanax (alprazolam). We planned out to slowly iincrease up to 200 mg within a few months. Eventually made it to the max dose 6 months later, along with CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy). I’ve had a few side effects (memory loss, stomach problems) but that's it. I can finally go throughout my days & function. Some days are just crap though, which happens. Changed my life & am so thankful.

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 11, 2013 1:04 AM

Review by Marta1010101010:

Zoloft (sertraline): Zoloft has changed my life. I used to feel like I wanted to stop living. I had anxiety with racing thoughts, feeling short of breath, social anxiety, and obsessive bad thoughts. I no longer feel suicidal and my irritability has gotten 100% better. I still get short of breath sometimes and worry about things but overall just feel so much more even keeled. I waited a month before taking it after getting the prescription because I didn't want to take meds and felt like it was a cop out. I'm so happy I decided to give it a try. I haven't gained weight and don't feel like my emotions are dulled. I feel happier and more hopeful. Strongly recommend.

118 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 30, 2013 10:35 AM

Review by MAMA P (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft (sertraline): i never knew what it meant to be manic until i started taking Zoloft. My OCD got worse and I was so jittery, yet felt so high on life nothing could stop me.

October 23, 2013 6:54 PM

Review by JimMbama:

Zoloft (sertraline): I went years without getting help until about 8 months ago when I finally broke down, saw a doctor, and was prescribed Zoloft. This pill has given me my life back. I was diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, specifically intrusive/disturbing thoughts and obsessions. This disorder occupied all of my time and energy, to the point where life was unbearable and hopeless. About two weeks after starting Zoloft there were noticeable improvements. After 6 weeks, I was a different person. Anxiety-0, OCD, still there but more of a minor in convenience than life consuming. Side effects were typical at first: nausea, diarrhea, lightheaded, and insomnia. All of which subsided after a few weeks. I highly recommend that if you diagnosed, ask for Zoloft.

128 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 18, 2013 8:32 AM

Review by Jenevans (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft (sertraline): I have struggled with obsessive compulsive disorder since I was 6 years old hiding it from family and friends because I had no idea what was going on when I was little. I then got so stressed I had shooting pain through my whole body and went on Cymbalta for 6 months then got off of it and was back to normal with no pain, just OCD. I then got sick with vomiting, couldn't eat, felt scared to be alone. My doctor told me it was anxiety. He gave Zoloft 25 mg and stared me on it really slow. I am on 50mg and a half once a day and I am back to normal....no vomiting or no bad thoughts. I still have some bad moments of OCD but they don't last long. I have recommend this to people! I am 26 years old and finally can enjoy my life.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 13, 2013 10:20 AM

Review by TheLawStudent:

Zoloft (sertraline): I have struggled with depression and obsessive compulsive disorder since I was 11 years old. I'm now 21, and this is the second time that I have taken Zoloft. It has worked wonders for my obsessive and anxiety ridden nature. Originally during my trial and error phase of trying medications, I stopped taking Zoloft at one point because I experienced the numbness and headaches, etc, that are typical of SSRIs. However, after finding that no other medicines (including other SSRI's, antipsychotics, and even anti-seizure medications) reacted as well to dull my OCD, I resumed Zoloft to give it a second shot. I could not be happier with its results so far. I would recommend this to absolutely anybody who had difficulty with OCD or depression. It has saved my life.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 8, 2013 4:04 PM

Review by Logan Thrasher (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Zoloft (sertraline): Zoloft has saved my life. I have been on Zoloft 200 mg for 7 months and the results have been amazing. I suffered from severe OCD, anxiety, and mind racing. Zoloft and Abilify 5 mg have completely eliminated my symptoms. I can now live and enjoy my life thanks to Zoloft 200 mg and Abilify 5 mg.

July 4, 2013 12:27 PM

Review by YourVeryOwnConstellation (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Zoloft (sertraline): I was on 150 mg Zoloft for about 2 years. It worked fairly well at combating my Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and depression however, it gave me horrible insomnia/nausea. I probably would've given it a seven if it weren't for the side effects. They're just something that everyone who takes it should be aware of.

May 13, 2013 10:38 AM

Review by Ms.Anonymous:

Zoloft (sertraline): I have been taking Zoloft for Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Depression, and Obsessive Compulsive disorder. It has been seven months since I began taking it. I have been taking 50mg on weekdays, as it does not seem to change the effect of the medication despite what my psychiatrist has said. I feel as if it does significantly improves my anxiety, although I do have bad days. It has not seemed to significantly improve anything else; my Depression and OCD may have actually gotten worse.

April 17, 2013 9:12 PM

Review by AnxietyIsBad (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Zoloft (sertraline): I have struggled with anxiety for years, and I've improved Obsessive Compulsive Ddisorder in a way that would increase my quality of life. I've been taking 50 to 250 milligrams Zoloft for the course of almost 7 years, and I've been getting 5 to 8 hours of sleep everyday. I was getting from C's and D's in school, to mostly A's and B's, and my memory was becoming crystal clear. When I've decided to go down to 25mg, I've began to experience more anxiety, more depression, more insomnia, more OCD-like symptoms. Even if I had a good day under 25mg of Zoloft, I wasn't confident about myself and didn't like the person that I was becoming. I'm telling you, this medication does work to treat your anxiety, it's just it takes time to work.

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 1, 2013 5:32 PM

Review by Shull (taken for less than 1 month):

Zoloft (sertraline): I have now been on this medication for 6 days and I'm seeing a terrific change not 100% yet but it's giving me light and life back again. I am loving this change I didn't think I was helpable. I thought I was too far gone but slowly am making a come back.

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 21, 2013 6:29 AM