User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Sertraline review summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 17 medications used in the treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Review by ocdsufferer (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Zoloft (sertraline): I had terrible obsessive compulsive disorder for about 6 years. I remember that I spent all my night on going and coming to toilet for peeing. After I went to the university I was shocked by the bad way of teaching and bad instructors and suddenly the OCD became worse and worse and the hell was eating in my brain. I spent all my wake up time thinking and thinking about silly things and I suffered from terrible pain in my neck, my brain, and my stomach. I went to 7 doctors and tried many medications before I found Zoloft. I tried Anafranil, Solotic, Faverin, Xanax, Atarax, Seroxat, fluoxetine and finally I went to a very good doctor who put me on Zoloft 200mg with risperidone 2mg. That works as a wizard for me after 6 years of the hell of OCD.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 26, 2014 9:20 AM

Review by Severe health anxiety/OCD (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft (sertraline): I have suffered with severe health anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder related to this anxiety for about 6 years. I would spend countless hours a day googling symptoms and doing certain health related rituals, and it was taking over my life. I finally talked to my doctor at the urging of my family and ended up on 50 mg of Zoloft. I didn't want to take it because part of my health anxiety is a fear of any type of medication. After about 3 weeks of it sitting untouched in my cabinet I started to take it. I didn't feel strange - no side effects. Maybe a little more sleepy at night? After about 3 weeks on Zoloft I noticed that I didn't have the urge to Google health symptoms anymore and I would *forget* to do some of my daily rituals.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 6, 2014 1:50 AM

Review by ninabee:

I have been on sertraline for about 3-4 months now for Depression/Anxiety, OCD and PTSD. At first I thought it was helping, but now that I think about it I feel foggy all the time and kind of lifeless. I feel underwater as if I just drift through the day. I can't focus very well, and am constantly dissociating. I also have been having really severe suicidal thoughts, not that I'd carry them out, but I go from 1-10 in such a short amount of time it freaks me out the things I think about. Also it is near impossible to sleep on this medicine. I never have been an insomniac, but sleep terribly since starting this. I think I'm going to start weening myself off the 100 mg and see if my mind and thoughts start to clear.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 14, 2014 1:30 AM

Review by Muchbetternow (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Zoloft (sertraline): I have now been on Zoloft for a solid 12 months (50mg). It has changed my life. I was prescribed it for depression, anxiety and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder - it has almost completely resolved issues I have had for most of my life. I hesitated in taking it due to side-effects mostly because I have always been obsessed with my weight. I'm happy to report that if anything, I have dropped weight in the last year. I no longer am tempted to binge eat and just lead a healthy and active lifestyle because I am happier. I really wanted someone to read this who was in my position - who was too scared to try it because of side-effects. My only side effects are dry eyes, I need to sleep 8 hours a night (instead of 5-6) and that's the worst of it!

125 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 29, 2013 4:06 AM

Review by TestRoute:

I have been taking 100mg once daily for 7 weeks. I have OCD with a racing mind, slight panics and obsessive thoughts. I re-read emails I send over and over... Within 2 days of starting the drug I found my racing mind wake ups in the middle of the night had stopped, so I am more relaxed at night and not in fear of the hours spent with music and strange thought playing on a loop in my head. My Doctor said that my night time relaxing was unusual because people often find themselves suffering insomnia. After now getting used to the new found night calm I have discovered that I am actually still sort of suffering the issues but I am more relaxed about it, so I still wake and roll around but without the anxiety and high stress that I had.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 12, 2013 7:21 AM

Review by Kris Marie (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Zoloft (sertraline): I highly recommend trying this medicine. I've been suffering with extreme anxiety/ocd for years. Tried lexapro(bad weight gain & didnt feel any different), elavil(did the same as lexapro) and pristiq(made me feel worse). Finally I went to a psychiatrist & he immediately put me on zoloft 25 mg (sertraline) & small dose of xanax (alprazolam). We planned out to slowly iincrease up to 200 mg within a few months. Eventually made it to the max dose 6 months later, along with CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy). I’ve had a few side effects (memory loss, stomach problems) but that's it. I can finally go throughout my days & function. Some days are just crap though, which happens. Changed my life & am so thankful.

November 11, 2013 1:04 AM

Review by Marta1010101010:

Zoloft (sertraline): Zoloft has changed my life. I used to feel like I wanted to stop living. I had anxiety with racing thoughts, feeling short of breath, social anxiety, and obsessive bad thoughts. I no longer feel suicidal and my irritability has gotten 100% better. I still get short of breath sometimes and worry about things but overall just feel so much more even keeled. I waited a month before taking it after getting the prescription because I didn't want to take meds and felt like it was a cop out. I'm so happy I decided to give it a try. I haven't gained weight and don't feel like my emotions are dulled. I feel happier and more hopeful. Strongly recommend.

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 30, 2013 10:35 AM

Review by MAMA P (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft (sertraline): i never knew what it meant to be manic until i started taking Zoloft. My OCD got worse and I was so jittery, yet felt so high on life nothing could stop me.

October 23, 2013 6:54 PM

Review by JimMbama:

Zoloft (sertraline): I went years without getting help until about 8 months ago when I finally broke down, saw a doctor, and was prescribed Zoloft. This pill has given me my life back. I was diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, specifically intrusive/disturbing thoughts and obsessions. This disorder occupied all of my time and energy, to the point where life was unbearable and hopeless. About two weeks after starting Zoloft there were noticeable improvements. After 6 weeks, I was a different person. Anxiety-0, OCD, still there but more of a minor in convenience than life consuming. Side effects were typical at first: nausea, diarrhea, lightheaded, and insomnia. All of which subsided after a few weeks. I highly recommend that if you diagnosed, ask for Zoloft.

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 18, 2013 8:32 AM

Review by Jenevans (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft (sertraline): I have struggled with obsessive compulsive disorder since I was 6 years old hiding it from family and friends because I had no idea what was going on when I was little. I then got so stressed I had shooting pain through my whole body and went on Cymbalta for 6 months then got off of it and was back to normal with no pain, just OCD. I then got sick with vomiting, couldn't eat, felt scared to be alone. My doctor told me it was anxiety. He gave Zoloft 25 mg and stared me on it really slow. I am on 50mg and a half once a day and I am back to normal....no vomiting or no bad thoughts. I still have some bad moments of OCD but they don't last long. I have recommend this to people! I am 26 years old and finally can enjoy my life.

August 13, 2013 10:20 AM

Review by TheLawStudent:

Zoloft (sertraline): I have struggled with depression and obsessive compulsive disorder since I was 11 years old. I'm now 21, and this is the second time that I have taken Zoloft. It has worked wonders for my obsessive and anxiety ridden nature. Originally during my trial and error phase of trying medications, I stopped taking Zoloft at one point because I experienced the numbness and headaches, etc, that are typical of SSRIs. However, after finding that no other medicines (including other SSRI's, antipsychotics, and even anti-seizure medications) reacted as well to dull my OCD, I resumed Zoloft to give it a second shot. I could not be happier with its results so far. I would recommend this to absolutely anybody who had difficulty with OCD or depression. It has saved my life.

August 8, 2013 4:04 PM

Review by Logan Thrasher (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Zoloft (sertraline): Zoloft has saved my life. I have been on Zoloft 200 mg for 7 months and the results have been amazing. I suffered from severe OCD, anxiety, and mind racing. Zoloft and Abilify 5 mg have completely eliminated my symptoms. I can now live and enjoy my life thanks to Zoloft 200 mg and Abilify 5 mg.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 4, 2013 12:27 PM

Review by YourVeryOwnConstellation (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Zoloft (sertraline): I was on 150 mg Zoloft for about 2 years. It worked fairly well at combating my Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and depression however, it gave me horrible insomnia/nausea. I probably would've given it a seven if it weren't for the side effects. They're just something that everyone who takes it should be aware of.

May 13, 2013 10:38 AM

Review by Ms.Anonymous:

Zoloft (sertraline): I have been taking Zoloft for Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Depression, and Obsessive Compulsive disorder. It has been seven months since I began taking it. I have been taking 50mg on weekdays, as it does not seem to change the effect of the medication despite what my psychiatrist has said. I feel as if it does significantly improves my anxiety, although I do have bad days. It has not seemed to significantly improve anything else; my Depression and OCD may have actually gotten worse.

April 17, 2013 9:12 PM

Review by AnxietyIsBad (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Zoloft (sertraline): I have struggled with anxiety for years, and I've improved Obsessive Compulsive Ddisorder in a way that would increase my quality of life. I've been taking 50 to 250 milligrams Zoloft for the course of almost 7 years, and I've been getting 5 to 8 hours of sleep everyday. I was getting from C's and D's in school, to mostly A's and B's, and my memory was becoming crystal clear. When I've decided to go down to 25mg, I've began to experience more anxiety, more depression, more insomnia, more OCD-like symptoms. Even if I had a good day under 25mg of Zoloft, I wasn't confident about myself and didn't like the person that I was becoming. I'm telling you, this medication does work to treat your anxiety, it's just it takes time to work.

March 1, 2013 5:32 PM

Review by Shull (taken for less than 1 month):

Zoloft (sertraline): I have now been on this medication for 6 days and I'm seeing a terrific change not 100% yet but it's giving me light and life back again. I am loving this change I didn't think I was helpable. I thought I was too far gone but slowly am making a come back.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 21, 2013 6:29 AM

Review by DHH (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft (sertraline): I can remember being on this for just two months last year. What did improve while I was taking it was my concentration--I started reading every book in sight. I stopped taking the Zoloft because I thought it made me sick to my stomach and also gave me tics. I guess I should have waited out the side effects because I thought my ability to read was fantastic.

January 30, 2013 11:43 PM

Review by moww:

Zoloft (sertraline): I have OCD/general anxiety and depression as a result. I was considered a very severe case. A few months after the worst time in my life, I am happy and healthy. I am managing anxiety/OCD a lot better and I have VERY rare bad days. I have been taking Zoloft with therapy for a little over six months. I experienced about a week of side effects (nausea, increased anxiety, fatigue) but over quickly. I get away with taking 50 mg. Apparently the most common side effects are weight gain and loss of interest in sex. I am happy to say I am experiencing NEITHER! I gained a little bit of weight (5-10 lbs) in the last few months, but I lost about 30 lbs before Zoloft due to anxiety-linked anorexia. Now without depression/OCD, I finally have my sex drive!

January 30, 2013 6:14 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Zoloft (sertraline): I am 14, female, and I am diagnosed with an anxiety disorder NOS, moderate depression, and dermatillomania (compulsive skin picking). I have been on 200mg for a few months now. I am much, much happier and more stable. My side effects have been dizziness, I haven't had weight gain. If I miss a day, I can feel a little depressed towards the end of that day. I have had NO relief from my skin picking. It may have gotten worse. I tried to add Wellbutrin, 150mg to my Zoloft. I took it two days and I felt AWFUL so I've stopped that. Looking into a treatment center, OCD specialist, or dermatillomania-specialized doctor.

August 4, 2012 12:06 AM

Review by Skittlez (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft (sertraline): I suffer from moderate to severe OCD (with mild depression due to it) and I was prescribed Zoloft. It helped me to control my obsessive thoughts, I was able to get fully-rested sleeps and I was more social and outgoing. Unfortunately, I stayed on it for only 6 months before weaning myself off of it due to weight gain (20 lbs) in a short amount of time and my lifestyle was a lot more active when I started taking it too, I also had very vivid and detailed dreams, which wasn't horrible, but it was nice to be able to fall asleep easier.

May 13, 2012 1:56 AM

Zoloft (sertraline): I started Zoloft 2 weeks ago for obsessive compulsive disorder. At first I hated the thought of being on a medicine that controls your mood at the age of 19. Anxiety went up like crazy when I first started at 50mg, and I was thinking this is not going to work, and that I should just get off the medicine. I stayed on strong with hope and 2 days ago I woke up feeling like my old self! I had a lot of energy, I did not have any anxiety at all, the racing thoughts in my head were gone to the point where I felt awesome! My old self is back within 2 weeks because of Zoloft. If you are concerned about this medicine, try it for at least a month if not longer, it gave me great results so far with no side effects, and it can do the same for you.

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 5, 2012 11:49 AM

Zoloft (sertraline): I have obsessive compulsive disorder that seems to be increasing under the influence of Zoloft. If I miss a dose I have a really bad day, so I try not to. The Zoloft has helped my depression significantly though, so that is some relief. It is not the right medicine for me.

March 10, 2012 7:47 PM

Review by ocdmummy:

Zoloft (sertraline): I have been taking Zoloft now for 7 Years. I felt almost instant relief for about a week after first taking it only to come crashing back down again. I guess it was some kind of placebo effect. But sticking it out and uping my dose to 200mg a day, after about six weeks I felt so much better. I could function and instead of my mind having 100's of things running through it I could focus on the one thing and work through my problems. My only side effects was an upset tummy. But that passed. I'm grateful for this medication. It saved my life.

March 7, 2012 8:49 AM

Review by lavidadulce727:

Zoloft (sertraline): I suffer from OCD and intrusive/compulsive thoughts that create almost unbearable anxiety. In Oct '11, I was prescribed Zoloft and found it to work incredibly. On 100mg, my OCD is 85-90% gone, and I can easily rationalize and even blow off my intrusive/compulsive thoughts about 95% of the time. I felt better within a week, but it did take 3-4 weeks for me to notice its full effect. I'd describe the feeling it gives as light, airy and happy/drifty. I haven't experienced any side effects, and haven't gained any weight. On a side note, I also found that one huge factor contributing to my anxiety is too much caffeine, even when taking Zoloft (I still have one cup of coffee to wake up in the morning, but I've found that's my strict limit).

March 1, 2012 2:04 AM

Review by j kman manic boy29:

Zoloft (sertraline): Zoloft at first helped with immediate lifting of my moderately to severely depressed state, while unergiong treatment with the medication I have been in so many words transformed (as far as OCD) symptomoligies go. I stopped my continuous ritualistic, obsessive habits such as checking, obsessive cleaning, etc. and began instead to be noticed by everyone as having a relatively light and airy disposition as opposed to my former, neurotic and morose self. The dose had to be increased to work optimally, in fact several times. I had no noticeable sexual side effects, as other SSRI's I had used. The change I experienced as far as mood, behaviors, etc. were first in fact noticed by others, than by myself.

February 21, 2012 4:02 PM