User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Sertraline Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 43 medications used in the treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

"Wow, I had a bizarre eperience with this medicine. I took it at 11AM. About an hour later, I developed a headache. Then an hour later I started having diarrhea. I began to feel giddy and very happy and hyper, restless, couldn't sit down, thought I was having the most amazing day ever - euphoric-type feeling. Then, as I went to bed, I turned off the lights and I began having bizarre, vivid hallucinations of elephants and ladybugs on my ceiling. Immediately, I decided I was no longer going to try this medicine! Too weird!!! I called my dr. and I'm going back on citalopram instead. But i know zoloft helps a lot of people too, just its not for me..."

Hope78555 April 30, 2016

"I suffer from GAD as well as OCD, with compulsions ruling more than obsessions. My grades at university started to fall and I knew it couldn't go untreated. My psychiatrist prescribed 100mg Sertraline daily and since then my grades have improved to reaching distinctions again. I am also much more calm and don't get angry as easily as I used to. Side effects: I sleep muuuuch more and struggle to stay awake in the afternoons especially. Being a former ballet dancer, I don't have much motivation for exercise anymore. I started to note a little bit of short term memory loss (e.g. entering a room and forgetting why I had gone there - nothing major). Worst, however, was chronic diarrhoea. This motivated a change to 40mg Citalopram daily."

Ballet boy (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 20, 2016

"I have been on Zoloft for 5 months now after being on my terrible Paxil (started at 50mg, then 100mg, now 150mg...zoloft) and I had to sleep 16 hours a day, and after being awake for 6 hours I'd need to go back to sleep....that's the bad side. The good side is is that my Obsessiveness and compulsions and depression and GAD are WAY down! :)...and my psychiatrist additionally put me on Wellbutrin XL 150mg and (nicknamed "Welloft") and has had amazing results for my depression and energy level."

Mr. James March 8, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was prescribed Zoloft for depression anxiety and OCD. I was excited to take it. My parents kept me on the holistic lifestyle growing up so I was ready for something to really work for me. Seeing how severe my depression and anxiety were is in my adulthood I decided to try it. 1st day I thought I knew what I was in for but once I experienced it- it was strange it's a very strong drug. felt good initially. It was working and I felt happier like my mind was fixing itself. I noticed how dark of a place I was in. 2nd day I started feeling the negative side effects like feeling tired and restless at the same time which is an awkward and horrible feeling and my anxiety got worse. Also dizzy and ringing ears. I may go back on it but I'm checking w my dr."

Jennycar (taken for less than 1 month) February 17, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "Zoloft is an excellent medication for treating obsessive compulsive disorder, depression, and anxiety..all of which I have. Ever since I started taking it I have been so much happier and worry free. However I am 24 years old and I enjoy to go out to the bar with my friends..and let me tell you. If you want to drink on this medication, be advised that it will completley cancel the drug out. Everytime I drink I have severe anxiety the next day. But other than that I would recomend this drug"

jesssse789 November 8, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "I have always struggled with intrusive thoughts that manifest in various forms (obsession with being "perfect", eating disorders, social anxiety, etc.) But for several years of my adult life, I wanted help so bad because I was miserable... Just completely uncomfortable & restless with anxiety that would come and go but stayed with me much longer than it would stay away. I tried talking to local counselors & was very disappointed, as they were not educated on OCD. After a year of no luck with counselors, I found one (university counselor) who knew what I was going through & how to help me. Life is SO much better! I started at 50mg & currently take 200mg"

Finally found help (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 6, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "I started having panic attacks when I was 20. The docs put me on zoloft and it helped me tremendously. Not only that, I stopped being the shy person that I had been prior to that. However I stopped taking it after a year because I figured I had been cured. I spent years after that without any anxiety until I had a severe bout of OCD at the age of 27 which was threatening to really destroy my life. I resisted taking medication for 2 years which was such a stupid idea. I don't know why I chose to suffer even though I knew zoloft would help me again. Anyhow, I went back on zoloft and poof! problem solved. But then I quit again and now after many years that I tried going back on it its not working as much. I wish I had stayed on it :("

jimwest1980 October 19, 2015

"I've been taking Sertraline for 5 days now, and they have been the craziest tablets I've taken. I have severe anxiety, ocd and the doctors aren't sure weather I have a personality disorder also. Within hours of taking these tablets for the first time they gave me chronic diarrhoea, it gave me little aches and pains everywhere and I felt very irritable. I felt like I had taken something illegal it was horrible! But I've read so many times to wait it out and you will feel better. and I have! I realised yesterday how calm I am around people now (usually I'm seriously on edge and can't calm down due to the fact that the table isn't inline with the sofa haha) but its stopped me from noticing these things so much, I think I need to hold out the symptoms."

Bryonnnny October 3, 2015

"I developed Postpartum OCD. My OB prescribed 50mg until I could get in to see a psychiatrist. The first five days I was antsy and weird. I couldn't sleep. Definitely it increased my anxiety. On the sixth day I had several hours with almost no obsessive thoughts. I was like, holy crap, this might be working. After two weeks I was feeling like 80% better 80% of the time. I increased to 75mg and that increase seemed to help a bit more. It also started to make me sleepy. Didn't see the point in going any higher. Two months in now. Lost weight. It's not like I never have obsessive thoughts, but most of the time I feel fine, and that gives me a solid basis from which to continue CBT and ERP."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 1, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "in the year 1997 I was suffering form severe depression. Was put on 100mg of Zoloft and Busperone. I am taking zoloft now for eighteen years. Busperone for fifteen years. I am now off Busperone. Afraid to go off zoloft, don't ever want to go through what I went through for many years. I was on zoloft for 18 years, I have now droped down to 50mg. Plan to go on 25mg soon."

snowremoveal (taken for 10 years or more) August 29, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "I'm 14 years old with OCD. I tried Prozac and it just made me make decisions that weren't like me. Ive been on Zoloft for awhile and it's really helping. I haven't obsessed at ALL. I just don't overthink and I live a great life."

Jay man July 27, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "I have been taking zoloft for years to treat OCD Depression and anxiety. It works great for these however my orgasm take forever and are significantly less stimulating. Should u try to go off these med from time to time to see if you even need them anymore? Or try a newer med with less sexual side effects."

McShane (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 27, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "for a long time I've struggled with OCD, trichotillomania, depression, anxiety, and adhd. now I take vyvance for adhd but for the rest I take Zoloft and I take 150mg everyday. btw I'm a 15 year old female. it's really helped with the anxiety and depression and my trichotillomania has gotten better with the use of the drug lamictal at night which is a mood stabilizer(50mg)"

mentally ill?? (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 6, 2015

"I've been on Sertraline since my teen years and although it was hard for the first few months, the pros definitely outweigh the cons. My OCD affects my life profoundly and used to be so bad that I couldn't even sleep at night, but Setraline helped ease my symptoms to the point I was better able to help myself. I still suffer, but the combination of Sertraline and CBT has given my life some much needed stability."

Anich July 1, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "I began taking Zoloft four months ago after being diagnosed with OCD, which I have suffered with for probably 15 years. I started with a dosage of 25 mg and experienced quite a bit of nausea for the first few weeks. I also dealt with a spike in anxiety, which I combatted with Clonopin and relaxation techniques. My psychiatrist slowly increased the dosage to 150 mg over the past few months. During that time, with the addition of psychotherapy, I began to slowly recognize that my symptoms were decreasing. It has become much easier to recognize my intrusive thoughts as OCD, and to say "no" to the multitude of rituals that I engaged in on a daily basis. In fact, since I have reached 150 mg, my anxiety and other symptoms have almost disappeared."

Blair M June 29, 2015

"I suffer from severe ocd with awful anxiety producing thoughts causing me to fear leaving the house and socialising. this medication whilst not stopping the thoughts allows my mind to forget them quickly and see them for what they are. I have gained weight on these but after stopping them and losing the weight I had to restart them again. I tried Prozac (highs / lows) and fluvoxamine (unable to sleep) for a month each but they had no effect on anxiety. Although I have gained back half the weight I can function again and I am truly grateful to sertraline for that. My brain could "feel" the effects of the others but I cannot "feel" sertraline. I just feel more balanced and I notice when it is time for my next 175mg dose. not a cure but helps"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 24, 2015

"I've been taking Solotik for 2 months now and what can I say, not effective at all !!"

hiii (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "I have suffered from OCD for over a decade and it has taken over my life. I've been on zoloft for three months and am seeing progress. It has helped mildly with the anxiety. I am finding that my life choices are changing. I am eating healthier, going outside more, taking up new hobbies, reconnecting with old friends, maintaining a healthier relationship with my family members, my anger has decreased significantly and I am not ruminating on repetitive thoughts quite as often. This medication is very helpful for getting on the road to recovery. I am using it in conjunction with meditation and mindfulness therapy. The only drawback is that it gives me diarrhea and short term memory loss. I have been using post it notes."

Leetlebat June 1, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "I've suffered from OCD for about three years. It was pretty bad but still manageable, but then two months ago it became unbearably horrible, my life was a nightmare. I would spend almost every waking hour ruminating about my obsessions while feeling intense anxiety. Then I began taking zoloft. I was started on 25 mg and I noticed some improvement within 5 days, and there was massive improvement within 9 days. I've been on it for a month now, and I'm at 100 mg. The OCD is definitely still here, but it takes up much less time and I am able to ruminate without feeling intense anxiety. I didn't have any major side effects. At the beginning I was yawning a lot and I felt more irritable. There's also lack of appetite, and I've lost 4 pounds."

FlBa April 18, 2015

"I thought I was too far gone. I have Pure O - every second of every single day was torture. I didn't want to live any more, I couldn't with the obsessive thoughts that were so antithetical to who I was. Constantly I would tell myself who I was but the OCD would always trick me out of my logic; but OCD has your whole imagination at its disposal. I got a lot worse before I got better on Sertraline: REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE AND STICK IT OUT. One day you'll feel like you've been punched and woken up from a bad dream. If I can do it when I was on the verge of suicide, you can too. I believe in you."

Joey576 (taken for less than 1 month) March 31, 2015

"I was on Citalopram for OCD for 10 years until it unfortunately pooped out. I went through 3 months of hell not being able to think straight and being practically housebound! But, I have now been on 50mg of Sertraline for just over three weeks and all I can say is stick with it. I really felt like nothing was ever going to help me, I had almost given up. But after three weeks, I am now on my fourth day in a row of feeling much more positive and back to my old self again. My intrusive thoughts are not as frequent and do not stick as much when they do come. I now feel strong enough to start helping myself by challenging my condition. Different medications work for different people so keep trying until you get it right. Everyone deserves life!"

Emma 30 (taken for less than 1 month) March 9, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was offered sertraline (Zoloft) after a relapse of Generalized Anxiety Disorder which brought with it a severe case of Pure-o intrusive thoughts of the harm variety. These thoughts were ruining my life and making me depressed. I was prescribed 50mg per day. The first 3 days were hell with a huge increase in fatigue, depression and intrusive thoughts. I almost gave up it was that bad. I was using diazepam 2mg In those first 3 days and thought they weren't playing nice with the Zoloft so I stopped them. I saw instant improvement after doing so. Now I am 7 days in and have had the best day ever. My intrusive thoughts are far fewer and far easier to simply dismiss. Amazed."

rchippex (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2014

Zoloft (sertraline): "I used to spend hours searching the web for some sort of cure for my obsessive thoughts. I was looking for answers and had fear of depression and anxiety. I have been taking this medication two months and I can honestly see an improvement in the person I am becoming. I am more patient for sure. I still have minimal anxiety but I am able to think through it without sitting in my bed and crying. I am someone who is terrified of ALL medication but I knew I had to do something for myself. At age(20) This has been such a positive experience and I plan on moving up my dose to see more improvements. I was in CBT for a year prior to this medication but found myself actually becoming worse. STAY OFF GOOGLE AND TAKE IT."

LOLO244 December 12, 2014

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "I've been on 50mg of Zoloft for three weeks now... it seems to be working pretty well. My obsessive thoughts started to have trouble materializing in my mind then before I knew it.. I started to feel like myself again and the thoughts and anxiety seem to have diminished."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 29, 2014

Zoloft (sertraline): "I am a little over 2 weeks in. I was diagnosed with panic disorder and obsessive compulsive disorder 2 months ago. I tried everything to avoid taking medicines. Did therapy, yoga, changed my diet, etc. I started to feel better but it was still a constant effort to lift my moods and stop my obsessive thinking. I was beyond nervous taking medicines but finally decided to after my sister convinced me (she's been on sertraline) for 2 years. I am loving it now and so happy I am giving it a shot. The adjustment was tough for me but so happy I preservered. I realized you don't get extra points in this world for suffering."

Ashley2432 November 24, 2014

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 Next