User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Sertraline Review Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 17 medications used in the treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Zoloft (sertraline): "I began taking Zoloft four months ago after being diagnosed with OCD, which I have suffered with for probably 15 years. I started with a dosage of 25 mg and experienced quite a bit of nausea for the first few weeks. I also dealt with a spike in anxiety, which I combatted with Clonopin and relaxation techniques. My psychiatrist slowly increased the dosage to 150 mg over the past few months. During that time, with the addition of psychotherapy, I began to slowly recognize that my symptoms were decreasing. It has become much easier to recognize my intrusive thoughts as OCD, and to say "no" to the multitude of rituals that I engaged in on a daily basis. In fact, since I have reached 150 mg, my anxiety and other symptoms have almost disappeared."

Blair M June 29, 2015

"I suffer from severe ocd with awful anxiety producing thoughts causing me to fear leaving the house and socialising. this medication whilst not stopping the thoughts allows my mind to forget them quickly and see them for what they are. I have gained weight on these but after stopping them and losing the weight I had to restart them again. I tried Prozac (highs / lows) and fluvoxamine (unable to sleep) for a month each but they had no effect on anxiety. Although I have gained back half the weight I can function again and I am truly grateful to sertraline for that. My brain could "feel" the effects of the others but I cannot "feel" sertraline. I just feel more balanced and I notice when it is time for my next 175mg dose. not a cure but helps"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 24, 2015

"I've been taking Solotik for 2 months now and what can I say, not effective at all !!"

hiii (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "I have suffered from OCD for over a decade and it has taken over my life. I've been on zoloft for three months and am seeing progress. It has helped mildly with the anxiety. I am finding that my life choices are changing. I am eating healthier, going outside more, taking up new hobbies, reconnecting with old friends, maintaining a healthier relationship with my family members, my anger has decreased significantly and I am not ruminating on repetitive thoughts quite as often. This medication is very helpful for getting on the road to recovery. I am using it in conjunction with meditation and mindfulness therapy. The only drawback is that it gives me diarrhea and short term memory loss. I have been using post it notes."

Leetlebat June 1, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "I've suffered from OCD for about three years. It was pretty bad but still manageable, but then two months ago it became unbearably horrible, my life was a nightmare. I would spend almost every waking hour ruminating about my obsessions while feeling intense anxiety. Then I began taking zoloft. I was started on 25 mg and I noticed some improvement within 5 days, and there was massive improvement within 9 days. I've been on it for a month now, and I'm at 100 mg. The OCD is definitely still here, but it takes up much less time and I am able to ruminate without feeling intense anxiety. I didn't have any major side effects. At the beginning I was yawning a lot and I felt more irritable. There's also lack of appetite, and I've lost 4 pounds."

FlBa April 18, 2015

"I thought I was too far gone. I have Pure O - every second of every single day was torture. I didn't want to live any more, I couldn't with the obsessive thoughts that were so antithetical to who I was. Constantly I would tell myself who I was but the OCD would always trick me out of my logic; but OCD has your whole imagination at its disposal. I got a lot worse before I got better on Sertraline: REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE AND STICK IT OUT. One day you'll feel like you've been punched and woken up from a bad dream. If I can do it when I was on the verge of suicide, you can too. I believe in you."

Joey576 (taken for less than 1 month) March 31, 2015

"I was on Citalopram for OCD for 10 years until it unfortunately pooped out. I went through 3 months of hell not being able to think straight and being practically housebound! But, I have now been on 50mg of Sertraline for just over three weeks and all I can say is stick with it. I really felt like nothing was ever going to help me, I had almost given up. But after three weeks, I am now on my fourth day in a row of feeling much more positive and back to my old self again. My intrusive thoughts are not as frequent and do not stick as much when they do come. I now feel strong enough to start helping myself by challenging my condition. Different medications work for different people so keep trying until you get it right. Everyone deserves life!"

Emma 30 (taken for less than 1 month) March 9, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was offered sertraline (Zoloft) after a relapse of Generalized Anxiety Disorder which brought with it a severe case of Pure-o intrusive thoughts of the harm variety. These thoughts were ruining my life and making me depressed. I was prescribed 50mg per day. The first 3 days were hell with a huge increase in fatigue, depression and intrusive thoughts. I almost gave up it was that bad. I was using diazepam 2mg In those first 3 days and thought they weren't playing nice with the Zoloft so I stopped them. I saw instant improvement after doing so. Now I am 7 days in and have had the best day ever. My intrusive thoughts are far fewer and far easier to simply dismiss. Amazed."

rchippex (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2014

Zoloft (sertraline): "I used to spend hours searching the web for some sort of cure for my obsessive thoughts. I was looking for answers and had fear of depression and anxiety. I have been taking this medication two months and I can honestly see an improvement in the person I am becoming. I am more patient for sure. I still have minimal anxiety but I am able to think through it without sitting in my bed and crying. I am someone who is terrified of ALL medication but I knew I had to do something for myself. At age(20) This has been such a positive experience and I plan on moving up my dose to see more improvements. I was in CBT for a year prior to this medication but found myself actually becoming worse. STAY OFF GOOGLE AND TAKE IT."

LOLO244 December 12, 2014

Zoloft (sertraline): "I've been on 50mg of Zoloft for three weeks now... it seems to be working pretty well. My obsessive thoughts started to have trouble materializing in my mind then before I knew it.. I started to feel like myself again and the thoughts and anxiety seem to have diminished."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 29, 2014

Zoloft (sertraline): "I am a little over 2 weeks in. I was diagnosed with panic disorder and obsessive compulsive disorder 2 months ago. I tried everything to avoid taking medicines. Did therapy, yoga, changed my diet, etc. I started to feel better but it was still a constant effort to lift my moods and stop my obsessive thinking. I was beyond nervous taking medicines but finally decided to after my sister convinced me (she's been on sertraline) for 2 years. I am loving it now and so happy I am giving it a shot. The adjustment was tough for me but so happy I preservered. I realized you don't get extra points in this world for suffering."

Ashley2432 November 24, 2014

Zoloft (sertraline): "There was a point where I had been forgetting to take the Zoloft that had been prescribed to me for social anxiety (and it had worked quite well in decreasing the symptoms of that disorder) and during the time I had been forgetting to take the meds, things took a turn for the worse. It all started with an intrusive thought, and that was what triggered my first, horrific episode of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. It took me a while to piece together the reason why the OCD had developed and persisted, but finally I realized that my Zoloft had possibly been suppressing an earlier development of OCD due to it's anti-anxiety effects (OCD is characterized by anxiety.) I then got back on the medication, and it literally only took an hour for the OCD to significantly vanish."

Calmified November 22, 2014

"Excellent for this condition!!"

Jose88 November 9, 2014

Zoloft (sertraline): "My obsessive compulsive disorder is lifted and is relieved almost immediately best pill ever!"

jackman7800 October 27, 2014

Zoloft (sertraline): "Not helping for my Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. On max dose now, and still nothing. I get this feeling of the skin on my head contracting...I don't know if that's normal."

hii (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 25, 2014

Zoloft (sertraline): "It's my third time returning back to Zoloft and I'm 21. First time I've used Zoloft I was only 15 and it was for Social Anxiety/Severe Depression and it helped me tremendously. Stopped it after one year and maybe... 6 months later my anxiety was back along with obsessive compulsive disorder. Anyway, I'm back on it and after 1 month I can say this IT'S PERFECT. I'm lucky to not have any side effects (except maybe a little bit of diziness but I don't care) and I feel so much better!!! I'm way LESS ANXIOUS, OCD is diminished by 3/4 (I still need to follow therapy for this problem), no more black thoughts, I'm also more focused at school and my thoughts are more coherent/clear. I don't think I'll ever stop this medication... For me, it's a life saver."

Milkykiss (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 3, 2014

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "I had terrible obsessive compulsive disorder for about 6 years. I remember that I spent all my night on going and coming to toilet for peeing. After I went to the university I was shocked by the bad way of teaching and bad instructors and suddenly the OCD became worse and worse and the hell was eating in my brain. I spent all my wake up time thinking and thinking about silly things and I suffered from terrible pain in my neck, my brain, and my stomach. I went to 7 doctors and tried many medications before I found Zoloft. I tried Anafranil, Solotic, Faverin, Xanax, Atarax, Seroxat, fluoxetine and finally I went to a very good doctor who put me on Zoloft 200mg with risperidone 2mg. That works as a wizard for me after 6 years of the hell of OCD."

ocdsufferer (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 26, 2014

Zoloft (sertraline): "I have suffered with severe health anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder related to this anxiety for about 6 years. I would spend countless hours a day googling symptoms and doing certain health related rituals, and it was taking over my life. I finally talked to my doctor at the urging of my family and ended up on 50 mg of Zoloft. I didn't want to take it because part of my health anxiety is a fear of any type of medication. After about 3 weeks of it sitting untouched in my cabinet I started to take it. I didn't feel strange - no side effects. Maybe a little more sleepy at night? After about 3 weeks on Zoloft I noticed that I didn't have the urge to Google health symptoms anymore and I would *forget* to do some of my daily rituals."

Severe health anxiety/OCD (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 6, 2014

122 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on sertraline for about 3-4 months now for Depression/Anxiety, OCD and PTSD. At first I thought it was helping, but now that I think about it I feel foggy all the time and kind of lifeless. I feel underwater as if I just drift through the day. I can't focus very well, and am constantly dissociating. I also have been having really severe suicidal thoughts, not that I'd carry them out, but I go from 1-10 in such a short amount of time it freaks me out the things I think about. Also it is near impossible to sleep on this medicine. I never have been an insomniac, but sleep terribly since starting this. I think I'm going to start weening myself off the 100 mg and see if my mind and thoughts start to clear."

ninabee March 14, 2014

Zoloft (sertraline): "I have now been on Zoloft for a solid 12 months (50mg). It has changed my life. I was prescribed it for depression, anxiety and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder - it has almost completely resolved issues I have had for most of my life. I hesitated in taking it due to side-effects mostly because I have always been obsessed with my weight. I'm happy to report that if anything, I have dropped weight in the last year. I no longer am tempted to binge eat and just lead a healthy and active lifestyle because I am happier. I really wanted someone to read this who was in my position - who was too scared to try it because of side-effects. My only side effects are dry eyes, I need to sleep 8 hours a night (instead of 5-6) and that's the worst of it!"

Muchbetternow (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 29, 2013

224 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been taking 100mg once daily for 7 weeks. I have OCD with a racing mind, slight panics and obsessive thoughts. I re-read emails I send over and over... Within 2 days of starting the drug I found my racing mind wake ups in the middle of the night had stopped, so I am more relaxed at night and not in fear of the hours spent with music and strange thought playing on a loop in my head. My Doctor said that my night time relaxing was unusual because people often find themselves suffering insomnia. After now getting used to the new found night calm I have discovered that I am actually still sort of suffering the issues but I am more relaxed about it, so I still wake and roll around but without the anxiety and high stress that I had."

TestRoute November 12, 2013

Zoloft (sertraline): "I highly recommend trying this medicine. I've been suffering with extreme anxiety/ocd for years. Tried lexapro(bad weight gain & didnt feel any different), elavil(did the same as lexapro) and pristiq(made me feel worse). Finally I went to a psychiatrist & he immediately put me on zoloft 25 mg (sertraline) & small dose of xanax (alprazolam). We planned out to slowly iincrease up to 200 mg within a few months. Eventually made it to the max dose 6 months later, along with CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy). I’ve had a few side effects (memory loss, stomach problems) but that's it. I can finally go throughout my days & function. Some days are just crap though, which happens. Changed my life & am so thankful."

Kris Marie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 11, 2013

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "Zoloft has changed my life. I used to feel like I wanted to stop living. I had anxiety with racing thoughts, feeling short of breath, social anxiety, and obsessive bad thoughts. I no longer feel suicidal and my irritability has gotten 100% better. I still get short of breath sometimes and worry about things but overall just feel so much more even keeled. I waited a month before taking it after getting the prescription because I didn't want to take meds and felt like it was a cop out. I'm so happy I decided to give it a try. I haven't gained weight and don't feel like my emotions are dulled. I feel happier and more hopeful. Strongly recommend."

Marta1010101010 October 30, 2013

133 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "i never knew what it meant to be manic until i started taking Zoloft. My OCD got worse and I was so jittery, yet felt so high on life nothing could stop me."

MAMA P (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 23, 2013

Zoloft (sertraline): "I went years without getting help until about 8 months ago when I finally broke down, saw a doctor, and was prescribed Zoloft. This pill has given me my life back. I was diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, specifically intrusive/disturbing thoughts and obsessions. This disorder occupied all of my time and energy, to the point where life was unbearable and hopeless. About two weeks after starting Zoloft there were noticeable improvements. After 6 weeks, I was a different person. Anxiety-0, OCD, still there but more of a minor in convenience than life consuming. Side effects were typical at first: nausea, diarrhea, lightheaded, and insomnia. All of which subsided after a few weeks. I highly recommend that if you diagnosed, ask for Zoloft."

JimMbama August 18, 2013

143 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 Next