User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Sertraline Review Summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 19 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Panic Disorder

"I quit my birth control basically cold turkey which caused depression and panic attacks on a daily basis for over a month. I couldn't get in a car without having an attack. My doctor put me on sertraline and my depression lifted after about a week of taking it. It took a good month to actually work on the panic attacks. I honestly did not think anything would help and that I would be reliant on my Ativan for life. I haven't had to take my Ativan in about a week which is amazing! The only noticeable side effects for me are restlessness and insomnia in the early morning. The benefits far outweigh the side effects for me though!"

NikkiAK (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "Not trusting the source (s) of reviews of this medication from 'company-friendly' sites, hope this one actually gets published. Zoloft was a nightmare, nine-day experience. Kept reading the 'keep taking it!' reviews and those were simply not true to me. Most everyone will eventually cycle back to feeling much better, especially if they have support. Zoloft will push you over the edge if you keep taking it. Had every side effect - bizarre urination flow, horrible gas, insomnia, etc. Would suggest people considering Zoloft to stick with something short-term and short-acting. Feel better and wean yourself off and don't let one quack doctor talk you out of that mindset."

vicvolare June 18, 2015

"The first thing I will say about this medication is that in the first 3-4 weeks you may experience side effects such as nausea, dizziness and/or giddiness. Also you panic symptoms may appear to have gone away and then they come back periodically when you're not expecting it. However for me both of these things ceased to continue after about a month. I have now been taking 50mg of this medication for 3 months and I can honestly say it is the best decision I've ever made. My panic attacks, which I used to have roughly twice weekly have completely gone away to leave me feeling relaxed. I am also more confident doing the things that used to trigger my panic, causing me to feel happier and able to get on with life normally. Strongly recommend."

Mark Jones May 31, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was prescribed Zoloft 50mg about a year ago after giving birth to my daughter very prematurely. I did notice that during the most difficult times, I was actually very calm and could make rational decisions. Why did I stop taking it? I have no idea. Recently, I've had horrible panic attacks that have landed me in the hospital, made me call out of work, and pretty much incapacitated me. I didn't want to go back on medication, but prayer, exercise, and talking just wasn't getting it. I finally went to my doctor and he put me back on Zoloft 50mg. Right now I'm just taking 50mg once a day, but next week I start taking them twice a day. I'm also on 0.5 mg Klonopin. Already, I have began to feel a little better. Hoping it continues."

JustWannaFeelBetter254 May 17, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "I haven't been taking Zoloft for even a week yet but the experiences I've read on here give me hope. At 31 years old, I've never really had a problem with depression or anxiety bit one day it all hit me like a ton of bricks. I felt like my life was falling apart, even worse, like my relationship was falling apart. I still get horrible feelings of anxiety (most of the day, honestly) but I'm really hoping Zoloft will work for me. The only reason for the 8 rating (for now) is because of the initial side effects."

justmytwocents May 14, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "Started on Zoloft 25mg and wasn't effective. Began seeing a psychiatrist who upped it to 150mg in pretty short time. For two years have been at around 100mg. I needed it to get calmed down from all the trauma and panic disorder gone out of control. Zoloft worked great. I got calm learned how to respond and not react, etc. There is a down side. Please , please, please don't stay on this drug for too long or go up high on the mg like I did. Weaning off kicks your butt. It is pretty serious withdrawal. Keep that in mind. Look it up. See what people endure getting off Zoloft. It's awful. Getting off your brain goes into chaos. Brain jabs and dizziness are common which is no fun when you already have a panic disorder. Research!!!!"

Boxsford (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 9, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "I used to take Zoloft for many years (approx 8 to be exact) as i has servere panic disorder after completing year 12. I recently weaned my self off the drug and stoped taking it for the past 6 months. I felt myself relapsing and so have gone back on the drug as of last week, im on 25 mg. I currently feel awful, im very dizzy and some days feel like in going to faint if im sitting down for too long which means i cant concentrate at work, i never had these feelings before when i was on the drug why am i feeling this now have they changed the formula of Zoloft? anyway ill give it the recommended 2 weeks to settle again in my body but if it still makes me feel like this i'm going to stop it, i feel awful and very anxious all the time"

Theo12071 April 29, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "Ok, Here I go. Thank God for Zoloft. I'm 39 and started suffering panic attacks that would last 2-3 months. I was put on a line of meds which didn't help until I was prescribed Zoloft. I started at .25mg for a week and after day 2 my anxiety started to lift and my panic was going away. Its now been 1 year and I have not experienced anymore Panic episodes or anxiety. I can't tell you enough how much it helped me. I thought I was doomed as nothing worked and I couldn't go on feeling they way I was. I didn't want to be left alone as I felt so scared about everything. My mind was a spinning wheel of negative thoughts and I kept spiralling deeper and deeper until I was given zoloft."

Dantheman2015 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 21, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "Since I'm on Zoloft I didn't have any panic attack and I was in more than one trigger situation but I reacted like normal people do. I'm so happy that Zoloft exist.I can truly say that Zoloft saved my life and improved it."

gugugaga (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 17, 2015

"I've only been taking this medication for a few days but I already feel like I owe it a review. Been on 25mg for a week for panic disorder and it has completely changed me. Reduced the negative thoughts leading to panic, and a more secure feeling about my life in general. I have also begun to have a better quality of sleep. When you begin taking this medication you may experience slight nausea and increased panic. This is normal and goes away after a day or 2 to leave you feeling relaxed and happy. The only drawback I find to this medication is that orgasms can be too intense, other than that I couldn't recommend it enough. I've given it an 8 rating for now as I've yet to see how I go in the future."

Mark_Jones April 16, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "I had been a marijuana smoker for many years but stopped and then found I was depressed, couldn't sleep or concentrate very well and would get panic attacks. My drug & alcohol physician put me onto Prozac but after just one tablet, I suffered anxiety and was very jittery and almost felt sea-sick and terrified. He then prescribed Zoloft for me. What a WONDERFUL drug! After one day, I felt focussed, clear headed and happy. I went on to attend Melbourne University as a mature aged student and studied philiosophy - it was amazing. I'd never felt so intelligent or capable in my life. I eventually came off Zoloft after a few years and have never looked back. It may not suit everyone but it certainly was just what I needed!"

Alabama Brown April 13, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "I decided to try Zoloft after seeing the great reviews online for panic disorder and its overwhelming support for it. I have been on 75mg Zoloft for 5 weeks and cant say it has helped at all, in fact I'm having more panic attacks than usual on it. I also can't get to sleep and feel a depressing numbness throughout the day. I am prepared to accept that maybe I need a higher dose or need to wait longer but I highly doubt it, I feel certain in saying that this medication does not work at all for me. PEACE."

Dandalion (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 12, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "I have had anxiety, panic attacks & obsessive thoughts for years on and off. About 5 months ago I started to get horrible non-stop intrusive thoughts I knew the thoughts/fears/worries were nonsense but I couldn't turn them off. I was in a panic attack from the moment I woke up to the moment I fell asleep. I would wake up several times at night in full blown panic....it was horrible. I never ever wanted to take medicine I was so afraid of it not working or it making me worse. Zoloft has helped me so much at first I had a good day then a bad day and I wasn't sure if that was normal. after 2 months the doctor upped my dose then a month later I felt better then 100% still a little anxious during my period but very mild and manageable."

Gem1030 April 10, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "I've tried several medications and so far this one has been the best anti-depressant that prevents panic attacks. I used to have at least three a day, now I only get them in extreme circumstances like when a family member passed away. It used to be dangerous for me to drive since events on the road would trigger a panic attack. Life is a lot easier on Zoloft."

kitkat4224 April 1, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "It took a little while to get the dosage right because I took it slow but now I have improved so much! I did 50mg for a month, 100mg for a month and finally 150mg a month. I have my life back! My anxiety and panic is no longer crippling."

mrsalhurt (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 30, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was extremely wary of taking this medication, but I am so glad that I did. I suffered with panic attacks at night time until I took this medication. I started off on 25mg then slowly increased to 100mg. I do not suffer from panic attacks anymore, and I feel awesome! I can finally get a restful night of sleep."

larpop (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 23, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "After I had my baby i was in constant stress recovering from my csection to having take care of my two toddlers and a newborn baby . I started having terrible panic attacks that would last all day . I was completly housebound . So i went to see my dr and he prescribed zoloft 25 mgs .i was always afraid to take medicines but my condition got to the point where i needed to try .I needed help i had 3 babies that rely on me . So i started zoloft 25 mgs the anxiety got worse for a whole month and a half .I waited it out because dr said it takes time to work . And he was right !!! After a month and a half i was a different person the attacks stopped . I havnt had an attack for almost a year now .im still at the same dosage too , only 25 mgs"

Hann March 19, 2015

"I've been taking sertraline (50mg) for over a month now. I felt slightly better after 3-3.5 weeks on the med, and I started feeling full effects after about a month. Now I feel great! Nevertheless, I experienced a considerable increase in anxiety and panic in the first week of taking sertraline. Other than that, I didn't notice any other side effects. I would highly recommend this to anyone suffering from Panic disorder, GAD and depression."

hannah123321 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 3, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "One week on Zoloft, no more bad dreams and nightmares.I can't remember last time I slept so well.I feel little better with my anxiety and this gives me hope."

nadinatal February 23, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "It worked pretty well for a long time; I've been on it about 12 years and have had no real issue with it. The problem is that I've been on the max for a while and it's not helping me much anymore."

KellyBird57 (taken for 10 years or more) February 19, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was taking Zoloft 6 years ago because I had night panic attacks, bad dreams and I was feeling generally anxious.Can't remember did I have side effects.My sleep improve and I became different person, maybe because I hit puberty or because of Zoloft I don't know. I was another person.Happy.Not shy anymore.Did some pretty dangerous stuff.Nothing scared me at all.I was feeling great so I stopped.Then I start feeling anxious again and it get worse.Now,I have panic attacks not only during sleep but all day.I had them at home,car,cinema,gym,restaurant.I feel trapped,I'm so scared and afraid I'm going really crazy.Today I start Zoloft again.I took my first 25 mg.I will keep update.Hope it will get better."

Blueblack (taken for less than 1 month) February 18, 2015

"I was put on a combination of sertraline and Xanax for panic disorder with agoraphobia. The physical symptoms were what troubled me the most: constant nausea, urge to go to the bathroom when outside the house, constant mild dizziness etc. The Xanax helped in the short term, although I tried to take it as rarely as possible. As for the sertraline, I noticed an increase in anxiety and mild panic attacks in the first week. After that, I started to feel much better. I'm still nowhere near my 'usual' self, but I'll see how the med works as more time passes."

hannahlll (taken for less than 1 month) February 5, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "This has been a miracle for me. I do have to take the name brand though. The fillers they use in generics tear my stomach up."

Renee8914 February 2, 2015

"Just updating my progress with sertraline. It has saved my life. Before this little miraculous pill I was in a downward spiral. I'm a 37.male and always happy till I snapped one day with a panic attack. I upped my dose slowly as every increase will increase anxiety for a few days. Other wise I have had no problems with sex or erections.I can still enjoy a few wines. If you are suffering with panic or anxiety please try this medication and give it at least 3 months to work as no one should have to deal with feeling that way."

calabsv (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 1, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "Been on Zoloft for years and have never looked back. Although, one doctor reduced my dosage and had to up it again, after several weeks. Absolutely no side effects, unless you can call being cheerful, a bad thing!"

Stuarttee (taken for 10 years or more) January 29, 2015