Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Sertraline review summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 19 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Panic Disorder

Review by Dandalion (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft (sertraline): I decided to try Zoloft after seeing the great reviews online for panic disorder and its overwhelming support for it. I have been on 75mg Zoloft for 5 weeks and cant say it has helped at all, in fact I'm having more panic attacks than usual on it. I also can't get to sleep and feel a depressing numbness throughout the day. I am prepared to accept that maybe I need a higher dose or need to wait longer but I highly doubt it, I feel certain in saying that this medication does not work at all for me. PEACE.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 12, 2015 2:53 AM

Review by kitkat4224:

Zoloft (sertraline): I've tried several medications and so far this one has been the best anti-depressant that prevents panic attacks. I used to have at least three a day, now I only get them in extreme circumstances like when a family member passed away. It used to be dangerous for me to drive since events on the road would trigger a panic attack. Life is a lot easier on Zoloft.

April 1, 2015 9:46 PM

Review by mrsalhurt (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Zoloft (sertraline): It took a little while to get the dosage right because I took it slow but now I have improved so much! I did 50mg for a month, 100mg for a month and finally 150mg a month. I have my life back! My anxiety and panic is no longer crippling.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 30, 2015 10:05 AM

Review by hannah123321 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've been taking sertraline (50mg) for over a month now. I felt slightly better after 3-3.5 weeks on the med, and I started feeling full effects after about a month. Now I feel great! Nevertheless, I experienced a considerable increase in anxiety and panic in the first week of taking sertraline. Other than that, I didn't notice any other side effects. I would highly recommend this to anyone suffering from Panic disorder, GAD and depression.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 3, 2015 1:17 PM

Review by nadinatal:

Zoloft (sertraline): One week on Zoloft, no more bad dreams and nightmares.I can't remember last time I slept so well.I feel little better with my anxiety and this gives me hope.

February 23, 2015 7:11 PM

Review by KellyBird57 (taken for 10 years or more):

Zoloft (sertraline): It worked pretty well for a long time; I've been on it about 12 years and have had no real issue with it. The problem is that I've been on the max for a while and it's not helping me much anymore.

February 19, 2015 5:17 PM

Review by hannahlll (taken for less than 1 month):

I was put on a combination of sertraline and Xanax for panic disorder with agoraphobia. The physical symptoms were what troubled me the most: constant nausea, urge to go to the bathroom when outside the house, constant mild dizziness etc. The Xanax helped in the short term, although I tried to take it as rarely as possible. As for the sertraline, I noticed an increase in anxiety and mild panic attacks in the first week. After that, I started to feel much better. I'm still nowhere near my 'usual' self, but I'll see how the med works as more time passes.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 5, 2015 2:33 AM

Review by Renee8914:

Zoloft (sertraline): This has been a miracle for me. I do have to take the name brand though. The fillers they use in generics tear my stomach up.

February 2, 2015 11:04 PM

Review by calabsv (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Just updating my progress with sertraline. It has saved my life. Before this little miraculous pill I was in a downward spiral. I'm a 37.male and always happy till I snapped one day with a panic attack. I upped my dose slowly as every increase will increase anxiety for a few days. Other wise I have had no problems with sex or erections.I can still enjoy a few wines. If you are suffering with panic or anxiety please try this medication and give it at least 3 months to work as no one should have to deal with feeling that way.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 1, 2015 12:25 AM

Review by Stuarttee (taken for 10 years or more):

Zoloft (sertraline): Been on Zoloft for years and have never looked back. Although, one doctor reduced my dosage and had to up it again, after several weeks. Absolutely no side effects, unless you can call being cheerful, a bad thing!

January 29, 2015 11:44 PM

Review by Winnie333 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft (sertraline): I have suffered from severe anxiety and panic attacks for almost 13 years. Literally every day I was anxious from the time I woke up until I went to bed. Racing thoughts, constant anxiety, and at one point would hardly go out in public fearing a panic attack. Zoloft has changed my life COMPLETELY!! No more racing thoughts or anxiety!! Feeling like a normal person again and actually enjoying life and even laughing! Took two months to start feeling full results. Main side effect was sleeping all the time and loss of appetite. Highly recommend!!

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 25, 2015 12:42 AM

Review by lollipop759 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft (sertraline): I have suffered with depression since I was 16. When I was 21 I started to experience anxiety which developed into a full blown panic disorder. I was afraid of driving, going to work, being with friends, almost anything made me experience horrible physical sensations. In September 2014 I was prescribed prozac this increased my anxiety so was given an anti psychotic which worked but I did not feel anything I felt like a zombie. 5 weeks into taking sertraline I haven't had a panic attack since the first week and when I do get anxiety it goes away quickly and is much less intense. It has given me my confidence back and lifted my mood. For anyone suffering with panic disorder I would recommend giving this a try. I'm on 50mg a day.

January 24, 2015 1:29 PM

Review by Mirgirl (taken for less than 1 month):

Zoloft (sertraline): I started Zoloft 3 weeks ago for panic attacks but I am having a hard time with the side effects. I feel like it has made my anxiety even worse but I am going to continue taking it until I get over the initial starting side effects.

January 23, 2015 4:49 PM

Review by BarbaricCupcakemuffin:

Zoloft (sertraline): My entire life I have had problems with severe anxiety, panic attacks, depression and portion control. (In other words I ate to make myself feel better). I was not overweight. I also would have Obsessive compulsive disorder thoughts for days, weeks, years about events that did not even matter. After taking Zoloft for two months all of my conditions as listed above has ceased to exist. I do not feel the need to eat all the time, I do not have OCD thoughts anymore, depression, anxiety, etc. has disappeared. It honestly brings me to tears thinking about suffering like I have for the past 22 years. Thank you, Zoloft.

January 20, 2015 4:55 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I started having panic attacks regularly. I couldn't be on my own, I was afraid of choking every time I ate. It was awful. I lost about 25 pounds in a very short amount of time and couldn't get any of my school work done without suffering from anxiety. I was diagnosed with panic disorder and began taking a variety of medications--eventually I was prescribed Zoloft. It took about a month to kick in but ever since then I have not had a full blown panic attack (although I occasionally suffer from bouts of anxiety). For the most part I would say I seem to suffer from very few side effects--I would say I am more lethargic than normal, sometimes I have trouble falling asleep at night, and I have a decreased sex drive. But no more panic attacks!

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 12, 2015 11:33 PM

Review by Thankful101014 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I had my first panic attack at the age of 16, while sitting in psychology class. I sat there, thinking I was about to die. It was the scariest feeling ever. It happened three days in a row, in the same class. I pulled through, didn't tell anyone. Struggled with anxiety for the next two years, without telling anyone. I started college in Aug '14, and I was having panic attacks daily, shortness of breath, lump in throat, panic. I finally went to the doctor and told her my story, she prescribed me 25mg of Zoloft in Oct '14 and the first week or two I felt weird. Like, I had never felt before. The core anxiety was gone. I had a definite lack of appetite. I'd forget to eat. I'd have dizzy spells, but after a while, I felt amazing.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 10, 2015 9:58 AM

Review by 37505253:

Zoloft (sertraline): Well, I'm sitting here in the ER after having increased my Zoloft dosage. It was absolutely horrific! I think I am very sensitive to medications. When I was on 25mg for the first 3 days, everything went well. When I increased to 50mg, as directed, I had every side effect for Serotonin Syndrome imaginable. Now I don know if I should discontinue or go back to the lower M.g.'s.

January 9, 2015 7:32 PM

Review by Duls (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft (sertraline): Zoloft gives me no negative side effects, no weight gain, no "zombie" effect, the only problem is that it makes me pretty restless when trying to fall asleep, but it isn't a huge problem. It really helps me with my agoraphobia, two months ago I could barely leave the house. I also tried Paxil, Prozac, and Lexapro - all of which did not help much. Zoloft it is.

January 5, 2015 10:07 AM

Review by RheeMaree (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have been on Zoloft for about 4 years now (previously on Paxil?). I have suffered from anxiety and panic as long as I can remember. I started with 50mg Zoloft once a day and that worked well. I had my dosage upped about 12 months later due to stress (major holiday, moving states etc). This worked great!! About 6 months ago I started taking 1 tablet every 2 days as per doctors directions to begin the weaning off process. This worked well for quite a while, but 10 days ago I went out and drank way more than I ever do. The next day I was hungover and the anxiety returned. I had not experienced it like this for over 4 years! I began taking the 100mg daily again and I'm beginning to feel better.For new users, don't give up! It really does help

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 26, 2014 5:32 PM

Review by FLA33703 (taken for less than 1 month):

Zoloft (sertraline): I am actually just starting Zoloft for very consistent anxiety and probably depression that I am unaware of but I'm sure its there. I have tried propranol which will masque my anxiety but always seems to come back. Now I am waking up in the middle of the night with ringing ears and high heart rate. The Dr. has run about every test in the world and can't find anything wrong with me. I just want to feel normal and live a healthy life. I have heard the first two weeks can be rough with increased anxiety but I need to give it a shot. Hope to have good feedback soon.

December 24, 2014 8:25 AM

Review by Maddoxy:

Zoloft (sertraline): Been on it for 3 months. At first it was worse. The panick attacks and anxiety. Then it was like my brain flipped the switch. I feel so much better. Im 30 and started getting anxiety at 22. I never wanted meds. Fought hard and tried everything natural. Finally I gave in. I'm so happy now. I am not afraid of my own shadow anymore. I think I may have put on 3lbs from it, but as long as it stops there. Or it could be all the cookies. Give it a try. I'm not cured, but I NEVER want to go off Zoloft.

December 23, 2014 9:48 PM

Review by BellaNYC (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft (sertraline): My 18 year old son was diagnosed with panic disorder after an episode occurred on his second day of college. The attacks began to come regularly after that, not only in class, but even at home. He would panic when he was outside, and wanted to just stay in his room. It got very bad, so bad we had to withdraw him from his classes so he could get some treatment. We initially started him on a low dose of Klonopin to help ease some of the symptoms, which helped for a couple weeks, but he needed to begin increasing and also had some bad breakthrough panic attacks. We switched him to Zoloft 25mg for 1 week, and then 50mg second week. It is truly the best medication ever! He is back to being and feeling like himself and is able to do everything!

December 8, 2014 3:40 PM

Review by Anonymous..:

Zoloft (sertraline): I'm a very young adult and was in therapy for years from Post traumatic stress disorder from childhood that caused other problems I have now which include anxiety, panic, depression, attachment disorders and fear of abandonment, and most importantly borderline personality disorder. My psychologist and I experimented with a few different antidepressants such as Celexa and Abilify, but Zoloft was my favorite. It was good for me because I no longer had any anxiety attacks causing me to faint over things I couldn't control. When something did happen that would normally make me anxious or panicky, it was a significantly reduced reaction. That was also the bad thing, I almost got in an accident because I was numbed to any emotion, including awareness. I became lazy.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 30, 2014 1:41 AM

Review by traciii (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Zoloft (sertraline): After trying just therapy for panic disorder, major depressive, and general anxiety I finally gave in and starting taking Zoloft. THANK GOD! I haven't had a single panic attack in 5 years when at one point I was having them up to ten times a day! I have had zero side effects. I also took it through pregnancy. I'm 28 and I'm fine with taking Zoloft forever, living without anxiety is just amazing!

November 25, 2014 11:16 AM

Review by blahk (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft (sertraline): I've always had generalized anxiety & social anxiety ever since I can remember, but I would still push myself to go places like mall, Walmart, or just walk out my front door, not knowing what was wrong with me. So around 17 I dropped out of school, & started working as a cashier, did good & managed to control my anxiety, until I'm 18 now, and here come the panic attacks & agoraphobia kicking in. I hated leaving the house & just being around people period. So I quit my job; I went to the doctor he put me on Paxil 10mg, then Paxil 20mg didnt do anything, then Zoloft 50mg then 100mg a month later. Overall my mood is much better/calmer. I'm still a shaky mess in public & even around people.

November 22, 2014 10:35 PM