User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Sertraline review summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 19 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Panic Disorder

Review by annie larae curtis (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline): I had my first panic attack in June 2013. Thought I was going to die. Had them everyday after that. I couldn't go no where or do anything because I was so dizzy and scared. I went from June to Sept with no medicines. I was suicidal so I tried meds, First two days I was a zombie, no appetite. I felt weird but not like panic attack weird. I could tell a difference. I have been on my Zoloft 25ml since Sept 2013 and I am 97% better. I have my days where I feel weird but if you have severe panic attacks like I did you will know that even feeling 5% better would be nice so 97% is amazing! This medicine saved my life.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 30, 2014 5:10 AM
Review by Slogg (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline): It did a little something right from day 1, but really the first month was pretty strange. I went back and forth, finally settling on taking 1 50mg pill in the morning. At first that made me extra sleepy all day, but that effect went away. I was feeling a bit stoned for the first month or so, but that went away too. Now I have the ticklings of panic creep up in the normal situations, but if only for the placebo effect, I can tell myself it isn't real. It will go away. And then it always does! Thanks Zoloft!

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 17, 2014 10:41 AM
Review by CMP72: User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline): My Dr. put me on 25mg to help me sleep and stop unwanted thoughts as a result of marital stress. I was experiencing a knot in my stomach and episodes of weeping. Since starting this medication, I feel so much happier, rested, relaxed. I had diarrhea for the first 2 days, but it was mild. I am not feeling out of control anymore. I think when my marriage issues are over, I will stop taking it. This medicine has really come through!

March 17, 2014 9:29 AM
Review by mazz3685 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline): I've suffered from panic disorder for over 10 years now. After a bad panic attack put me in an ambulance, I finally decided to try Zoloft. I would recommend that anyone with panic disorder start off at 12.5mg for a couple of weeks before you decide to up the dose. Mainly because the side effects can be rough when you first start. Only increase when YOU feel you need to, and not based on what a doctor feels is an effective dose. You are probably going to feel crappy the first couple weeks, this is the case for most people, and does not mean the medicine isn't working. It does eventually get better.

February 1, 2014 3:10 AM
Review by anicko (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline): I promised to come back and do a review of the medicine if it had worked for me. About a year ago I had constant panic attacks which eventually became fear to drive, fear to be at a restaurant, waking up and feeling that it would be my last day on this world. Doctor said I have anxiety disorder. After trying another medicine with no results started me on 0.5mg Sertraline. After a year I can honestly say that I am 98% "panic free". Huge relief within the first couple weeks but give it some time to experience the full medicine effect (couple months). Noticeable side effects: Sometimes I need to focus on remembering simple things, weight LOSS (at the beginning) now I'm normal again.

January 13, 2014 11:52 PM
Review by mazz3685: User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline): I think Zoloft can work well for panic disorders. I would've given it an 8-9, but the start up side effects were pretty rough for about 2 weeks, and a lot of other things seem to interact with it...at least in my case. I can't drink, at all. If I do, I experience side effects again for 2-3 days, including increased anxiety. Also, I've noticed that if I take ibuprofen or Tylenol, I also experience side effects again. I thought perhaps I was being paranoid, but there's actually studies that confirm they decrease effectiveness of SSRI's. When I don't drink or take pain meds, it works wonderfully, but its a bit of a pain. It also seems to help if you suffer from migraines.

December 28, 2013 7:27 PM
Review by Bobo13: User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline): Rgdadad, Your story sounds exactly like mine. I'm currently on 25mg, Day 13 not feeling better yet. I had severe attack last night.

December 17, 2013 5:52 PM
Review by Rgdadad: User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline): This message is for anyone out there right now reading this. I am a 32 year old father of four with a wonderful wife. Good career/nice home. I had no reason to feel depressed/stress/panic/ anxiety however, a few months ago it happened and all started with first panic attack on night of my birthday. I fought doctors advice and tried to only take Xanax as needed all the while the symptoms became worse. After 3 long months I broke down and took my first Zoloft. 2 weeks later I am me again. Going places/eating/enjoying/laughing/living. This is the medicine you need/TAKE IT/don't think about it/TAKE IT. Your life will come back and only memories of panic/anxiety. Your brain is off balance due to stress. You need this medicine to correct it.

160 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 13, 2013 1:17 PM
Review by Anndiva (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline): Zoloft saved my life and my marriage. I am so grateful to the doctor who put me on this 9 weeks ago. A few side effects at start up but that went away in a matter of days and it has been smooth sailing since. Tons of energy, up early, great sleep, and I'm not binge eating. I've even lost 8.5 lbs. I was skeptical at first and hated the fact that I needed medication for anxiety and depression, but I'm really glad I gave it a shot. For now, I will continue on this medication.

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 29, 2013 7:30 AM
Review by Brxxke (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline): It helps a ton for anxiety. :)

November 21, 2013 10:52 PM
Review by Brxxke: User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline): I have been on Sertraline/Zoloft (on different doses at different times for different occasions) for about 6 years now, and it has helped me a tremendous amount. I highly recommend it.

November 21, 2013 10:46 PM
Review by shammy414 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline): Changed my whole life.

November 10, 2013 2:08 AM
Review by zoloft4unme (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline): Zoloft has really helped my life a great deal you never understand how much you needed help until you get treatment and be able to see such a better difference in your live but it all starts with you and yes its a journey but its one worth taking

November 3, 2013 9:43 PM
Review by bettermenow (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft (sertraline): I've never tried med's because I always assumed I was normal until I was forced by my wife to get help because I couldn't beat this on my own so I was prescribed Zoloft 50mg twice a day and now I feel a lot better.

October 27, 2013 10:04 PM
Review by grateful for Sertraline: User Rating:

sertraline: 65 year old male. Started having panic attacks mid-July. Sense of doom, cardiophobia, fluttering in chest, loss of appetite. My internist diagnosed panic attacks and started me on Sertraline @ 25 mg./ day for one week, then up to 50 mg/day. I had some mild nausea and diminished libido for a few weeks, so doctor reduced dosage to 25 mg. where its been for 3 months. After the first 10 days or so of starting this medication anxiety and panic attacks became history. I feel like I got my life back. This drug worked wonders for me and I am thankful that my doctor recognized the problem and prescribed the correct treatment.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 22, 2013 1:37 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline): Just like you, I was reading these reviews a few months ago when I finally made the decision to give medication a try. I hope this review helps and gives you comfort. I've been on 50 mg for seven weeks now.Started at 25mg for the first seven days. The first two weeks saw a spike in anxiety just like I figured. But I stayed with it, and I'm so glad I did. I had a pretty intense panic attack the first week, but I noticed something: I didn't stress out about having another one like I usually do. By the third week the panic attacks and panicky feelings were pretty much gone. I've also noticed that my mood has lifted, and I can fall asleep much better at night. This is my first ssri, and I really regret not seeking help sooner

October 21, 2013 1:40 PM
Review by Feel more positive (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline): I'm currently 22 and a college student. I began having panic/anxiety attacks in July 2013. I thought I wasn't going to be able to attend class anymore cause I used to have a hard time sitting still. I felt the need to move around but at the same time I felt fatigued. I used to take L-Theanine, which helped some. I then switched to Zoloft, which is currently working good too. I feel more focused. I don't feel like crying for no reason anymore. I don't feel as angry at everyone anymore. Best of all, no apparent jitters--which was the main problem I was aiming at to get rid off. Thanks Zoloft. Now I can get back to focusing on my school work.

October 17, 2013 6:02 PM
Review by Heismighty1970 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline): It was prescribed for anxiety & post traumatic stress. It helped with that in addition to my mood. I am set at 150mg. When I first started off, it was 25mg, the first few days were a challenge. But I got over the hump. Now I'm planning to get off of it. I don't want to be dependant on this medicine too long.

October 14, 2013 12:29 PM
Review by Fi86 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline): For most of my life I have felt something was wrong. Recently my anxiety began to feel worse than usual so I went to a new doctor. He prescribed me Sertraline. For the first week I felt anxiety and headaches, just quite 'wired'. I was worried I was going to damage my brain and the meds wouldn't work but then suddenly I felt 'fixed'! I am so relaxed now. I don't feel like I'm going mad from anxiety anymore! This is how I should have always felt. Glad I've sorted this out in my twenties. I wish I'd been prescribed this medication sooner!

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 8, 2013 7:35 PM
Review by bettyboooooooo: User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline): I had panic attacks most of my adult life, was afraid of taking pills. I was taking Ativan for my condition, in order for my doctor to get me off the Ativan I was prescribe Zoloft, I took this medication for about six months along with a half Ativan. I started feeling normal in about 3 weeks, after about six months I stopped taking both of them and felt great for a whole year until something happened to cause me much anxiety again. I am back on the Ativan for the last 5 months, just filled the prescription for Zoloft again, hoping it does what is did before. Don't like taking meds but it worked a miracle for me.

August 30, 2013 2:54 AM
Review by heather729: User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline): I was experiencing severe anxiety and panic. I could barely leave my house and everyday activities seemed impossible. I would get dizzy, pounding heart, the works! Also, I couldn't sit still anymore! I could not sit in class, dinners, or even just with friends. My doctor prescribed Zoloft 25mg, a typically low dosage, after an unsuccessful attempt with Lexapro. I have been on Zoloft 25mg for six weeks now and I'm doing tremendously better. The first two weeks or so I experienced minimal, tolerable side effects like foggy feeling the first day, heighten anxiety and restlessness, but nothing too bad. Now I feel great! I can sit for longer periods, little to no obsessive thoughts and am pretty much panic free! I love Zoloft!

August 27, 2013 4:06 AM
Review by Gerge101 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline): Ignore all negative comments, it stopped me from taking this medicine for two years. I was unable to work, drive, fly, function. Panic attacks, exhausted all my life. Sporty, lived for exercise, tried CBT. Am pill phobic. My life was a mess so I worked with a great doc starting very slowly and here I am 6 months later and I'm a new person. No panic, mild anxiety every now and then like normal people but I'm manageable. Please do it. It's a wonderful medicine, no side effects and it'll change your life. Start living.

August 23, 2013 4:04 AM
Review by halfpint3730 (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline): I have panic disorder along with Gemeralized Anxiety Disorder. Zoloft did help me for a while, but over time I noticed weight gain, emotional numbness, night sweats, and just general laziness. I didn't care for nothing! After much research I discovered that all anti-anxiety meds begin to lose their effect over time. But it did help me for the first 4yrs I took it.

August 20, 2013 11:20 AM
Review by Giia (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline): Over the last couple of years, all of the stress from moving far away from my family and having a stressful job got to me. I started to experience panic and anxiety every now and again, to a build up of where I couldn't function or leave the house. I was first put on Lexapro, and I had a terrible experience and thought I was going to die. I finally made it back home to my old family doctor who decided to to try me on Zoloft, first at 25mg for a week and then 50 mg. The first 3-4 weeks I noticed absolutely no change, and was taking Klonopin and anti-nausea meds to survive. Then about 5 weeks in I noticed a profound difference. I was my normal self! I could go out in public, function, and fight off the panic/anxiety. So happy now!

August 13, 2013 11:39 PM
Review by Andy437: User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline): I have struggled with panic disorder off and on for 11 years. I was previously on Lexapro but built up a tolerance after 4 months so I switched to Zoloft. After week four I am FINALLY getting some relief from the anxiety. Started on 12.5mg due to sensitivity to SSRI'S. The reason Zoloft does not get a 10 is because of terrible side effects: increase in depression and anxiety, nervousness, de-realization and insomnia. I could care less about my sex drive right now. Word to the wise: BE PATIENT, IT WILL GET BETTER.

July 27, 2013 10:54 PM