User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Sertraline review summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 19 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Panic Disorder

Review by Stuarttee (taken for 10 years or more):

Zoloft (sertraline): Been on Zoloft for years and have never looked back. Although, one doctor reduced my dosage and had to up it again, after several weeks. Absolutely no side effects, unless you can call being cheerful, a bad thing!

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 29, 2015 11:44 PM

Review by Mirgirl (taken for less than 1 month):

Zoloft (sertraline): I started Zoloft 3 weeks ago for panic attacks but I am having a hard time with the side effects. I feel like it has made my anxiety even worse but I am going to continue taking it until I get over the initial starting side effects.

January 23, 2015 4:49 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I started having panic attacks regularly. I couldn't be on my own, I was afraid of choking every time I ate. It was awful. I lost about 25 pounds in a very short amount of time and couldn't get any of my school work done without suffering from anxiety. I was diagnosed with panic disorder and began taking a variety of medications--eventually I was prescribed Zoloft. It took about a month to kick in but ever since then I have not had a full blown panic attack (although I occasionally suffer from bouts of anxiety). For the most part I would say I seem to suffer from very few side effects--I would say I am more lethargic than normal, sometimes I have trouble falling asleep at night, and I have a decreased sex drive. But no more panic attacks!

January 12, 2015 11:33 PM

Review by 37505253:

Zoloft (sertraline): Well, I'm sitting here in the ER after having increased my Zoloft dosage. It was absolutely horrific! I think I am very sensitive to medications. When I was on 25mg for the first 3 days, everything went well. When I increased to 50mg, as directed, I had every side effect for Serotonin Syndrome imaginable. Now I don know if I should discontinue or go back to the lower M.g.'s.

January 9, 2015 7:32 PM

Review by Maddoxy:

Zoloft (sertraline): Been on it for 3 months. At first it was worse. The panick attacks and anxiety. Then it was like my brain flipped the switch. I feel so much better. Im 30 and started getting anxiety at 22. I never wanted meds. Fought hard and tried everything natural. Finally I gave in. I'm so happy now. I am not afraid of my own shadow anymore. I think I may have put on 3lbs from it, but as long as it stops there. Or it could be all the cookies. Give it a try. I'm not cured, but I NEVER want to go off Zoloft.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 23, 2014 9:48 PM

Review by BellaNYC (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft (sertraline): My 18 year old son was diagnosed with panic disorder after an episode occurred on his second day of college. The attacks began to come regularly after that, not only in class, but even at home. He would panic when he was outside, and wanted to just stay in his room. It got very bad, so bad we had to withdraw him from his classes so he could get some treatment. We initially started him on a low dose of Klonopin to help ease some of the symptoms, which helped for a couple weeks, but he needed to begin increasing and also had some bad breakthrough panic attacks. We switched him to Zoloft 25mg for 1 week, and then 50mg second week. It is truly the best medication ever! He is back to being and feeling like himself and is able to do everything!

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 8, 2014 3:40 PM

Review by Anonymous..:

Zoloft (sertraline): I'm a very young adult and was in therapy for years from Post traumatic stress disorder from childhood that caused other problems I have now which include anxiety, panic, depression, attachment disorders and fear of abandonment, and most importantly borderline personality disorder. My psychologist and I experimented with a few different antidepressants such as Celexa and Abilify, but Zoloft was my favorite. It was good for me because I no longer had any anxiety attacks causing me to faint over things I couldn't control. When something did happen that would normally make me anxious or panicky, it was a significantly reduced reaction. That was also the bad thing, I almost got in an accident because I was numbed to any emotion, including awareness. I became lazy.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 30, 2014 1:41 AM

Review by traciii (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Zoloft (sertraline): After trying just therapy for panic disorder, major depressive, and general anxiety I finally gave in and starting taking Zoloft. THANK GOD! I haven't had a single panic attack in 5 years when at one point I was having them up to ten times a day! I have had zero side effects. I also took it through pregnancy. I'm 28 and I'm fine with taking Zoloft forever, living without anxiety is just amazing!

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 25, 2014 11:16 AM

Review by blahk (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft (sertraline): I've always had generalized anxiety & social anxiety ever since I can remember, but I would still push myself to go places like mall, Walmart, or just walk out my front door, not knowing what was wrong with me. So around 17 I dropped out of school, & started working as a cashier, did good & managed to control my anxiety, until I'm 18 now, and here come the panic attacks & agoraphobia kicking in. I hated leaving the house & just being around people period. So I quit my job; I went to the doctor he put me on Paxil 10mg, then Paxil 20mg didnt do anything, then Zoloft 50mg then 100mg a month later. Overall my mood is much better/calmer. I'm still a shaky mess in public & even around people.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 22, 2014 10:35 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Zoloft (sertraline): I would have panic attacks and would cut myself to avoid feeling nervous and anxious about things I couldn't control. I pretty much had a great experience while I was on Zoloft. I was taking 100mgs a day. Very few panic attacks and if I would have feelings of panic, it was much less intense. After about a year, I decided I no longer wanted to be taking anti depressants. I weaned myself off of it. First week I took 75mg, then 50, then 25. This is the end of my first full week off Zoloft and for the most part I feel fine. I think the medicine helps. I noticed my smoking habit has started to come back as my desire for a cigarette while on Zoloft was minimal.

October 19, 2014 5:14 PM

Review by calabsv (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I'm in New Zealand and thankfully medication is fully covered here. In Feb I had my first panic attack and the next day it became a daily things, just waiting for the next one and horrible anxiety all the time. I sought help right away, as I was very sacred off the possible side effects of SSRIs I opted to try alternative options including Buspar, none of which really worked. Finally I decided to go on sertraline. I started very low on 25 mg Building to 100mg over 3 months. I have to say it's the best decision I ever made, side effects were minimal, just higher anxiety with dose increases but once I knew to expect it it was not so scary. I also have had no sexual side effects. This medicine has made life livable again, if you need it take.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 18, 2014 5:46 PM

Review by Overcome1985:

Zoloft (sertraline): The only reason I'm giving this medication an 8 is because of the initial side effects and the time it took to find an adequate dose. I've been on Zoloft for around 6 months now. I had suffered with panic disorder for most of my adult life, I'm currently 29 years old. I tried a few different SSRIs, but never really gave them a chance. I relied on Ativan taken twice daily, totaling 2 mg. I started out taking 25 mg of Zoloft and worked up to 150 mg daily. At first, it was fairly difficult and I'm really surprised that I didn't just give up within a few days, let alone a few weeks. I read many reviews on here and wondered if that would ever be me. If I was asked 5 months ago, I never would have had anything good to say. But now ...it changed my life.

October 8, 2014 4:42 AM

Review by Sammosh:

Zoloft (sertraline): It's been really amazing. I'm on 50mg daily of Zoloft and I went from horrible frequent panic attacks to occasional, "normal" anxiety. I feel like my life is totally different to how it was a year ago (I wouldn't even leave the house for fear of panic attacks). I switched from Lexapro which was not nearly as effective.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 1, 2014 2:03 AM

Review by Ann81:

Zoloft (sertraline): I really hope to help someone out there suffering with this nightmare called "Panic Disorder". I suffered for the last 2 years with debilitating panic. My dad died of cancer two years ago, and one week later my son got very ill. Needless to say I had a nervous breakdown and ever since then panic ruled my life which led to depression and agoraphobia setting in. I was scared to death of SSRI's and suffered needlessly for 2 years. Two weeks ago I went to a Psychiatrist, he prescribed me Zoloft 25mg to start for 2 weeks then up it to 50mg. I am also taking 0.5mg Xanax twice a day. I have to say I feel great! Not a single panic attack since the 3rd day of taking med. I also am way more social and sleep a thousand times better! Thank you Zoloft!!

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 20, 2014 8:02 AM

Review by Gimp (taken for 10 years or more):

Zoloft (sertraline): Suffered from anxiety most of my life, then around 23 suffered a panic attack which caused me problems until my late 40's when my doctor put me on Zoloft. Huge turnaround. Zero anxiety. While I don't think I'll ever forget the fear of panic attacks, I haven't had one since, and can do most things I used to be afraid of, Long Bridges, Elevators, etc.

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 2, 2014 9:05 PM

Review by Narelle 00:

Zoloft (sertraline): Anxiety spiraled out of control over just a month following 18 months of grief, job loss and moving. I couldn't leave the house and was prescribed Zoloft 12.5mg, the side effects were pretty bad (no appetite, trembles and night sweats) but within two weeks these side effects passed and I began returning back to my old self 6 weeks later. I slowly built up to 175mg over 6 months and stayed at that dose for 1 year. Now, two years later, I have almost forgotten about anxiety and have begun reducing very very slowly (about 12.5mg every couple of months). I'm now taking 137.5mg and feel good, thank you Zoloft.

July 20, 2014 5:09 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Zoloft (sertraline): Just to update the post I made Oct. 21, 2013. It's been a year and I'm at 50 mg and great. Whenever I feel that panic creeping in, I can talk myself through it and it is so much less intense. And I don't stress out about having another episode. Before Zoloft, the most problematic part of my panic was the constant fear of having another panic attack. This has really improved my life a great deal.

July 14, 2014 3:58 PM

Review by Soundchain (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft (sertraline): I have now been on Zoloft for 2 months and happy to report, I'm no longer NEEDING my oxazepam everyday YAY! Side effects I got were crazy heart palpitations, fatigue but both of these have subdued, mind you, it took 7 wks to do so, so for anyone just starting on it, stick it out. Its helped a lot with my anxiety.

June 17, 2014 10:40 PM

Review by Buckeyefan03:

Zoloft (sertraline): I started taking birth control for acne a month ago and felt as if my anxiety had only gotten worse. After talking to my doctor she recommended I try a low dose of Zoloft. I've been on the medication for a week and have had 2 panic attacks. One yesterday as my plane was taking off. The most embarrassing experience ever! The flight attendants had to get me a bag to throw up in and had ice over the back of my neck. Today I am feeling exhausted and with down. I have read there are serious side effects within the first 2 weeks of taking this medication so I'm hoping I start to feel better. I am def. cutting out any coffee, energy drinks or alcohol.

June 9, 2014 9:07 AM

Review by MInnieJohnny:

Zoloft (sertraline): I have been taking Zoloft 100mg for 8 yrs now since my first experience of postpartum depression after my 2nd child, (I have always had panic attacks and depression it runs in my family, it has been working great until I had my 3rd child I had another bout of post partum depression. Dr tried to up my dose done this for one week made me have major side effects hot flashes, mood changes, zombie feeling so I went back down to my 100mg, I finally pulled out of it for awhile but I had a close friend pass away back in Dec 2013 and I already had health anxiety and I have had fears of dying since I had my 3rd child. I don't want to leave my children alone, the last 2 months have been the worst and I'm still taking Zoloft 100mg.

June 8, 2014 8:41 PM

Review by Mh63 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I had my first panic attack almost two years ago. It spiraled from there and I started having panic attacks so bad when I was driving that it got to a point where I could not drive at all. I also had panic attacks when I was trying to fall asleep. I told myself and my doctor I wanted to "beat" this without any medicine. I started counseling, and while that helped a little, it wasn't enough. Finally I told my doctor I was ready to start meds and it is the best thing I have done for myself! The first few weeks were pretty rough, and my anxiety increased during that time. But after four weeks I started feeling much better. Now I can drive again and my anxiety is 90% better. And what remains of it is much more easily controlled.

May 20, 2014 10:51 PM

Review by Jktx:

Zoloft (sertraline): Took 2 weeks to feel a bit better. Stick with it through side effects. I take 62.5 mg in the morning and 25 mg in evening now. After 5 months I feel pretty good.

May 13, 2014 11:46 AM

Review by annie larae curtis (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Zoloft (sertraline): I had my first panic attack in June 2013. Thought I was going to die. Had them everyday after that. I couldn't go no where or do anything because I was so dizzy and scared. I went from June to Sept with no medicines. I was suicidal so I tried meds, First two days I was a zombie, no appetite. I felt weird but not like panic attack weird. I could tell a difference. I have been on my Zoloft 25ml since Sept 2013 and I am 97% better. I have my days where I feel weird but if you have severe panic attacks like I did you will know that even feeling 5% better would be nice so 97% is amazing! This medicine saved my life.

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 30, 2014 5:10 AM

Review by Slogg (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft (sertraline): It did a little something right from day 1, but really the first month was pretty strange. I went back and forth, finally settling on taking 1 50mg pill in the morning. At first that made me extra sleepy all day, but that effect went away. I was feeling a bit stoned for the first month or so, but that went away too. Now I have the ticklings of panic creep up in the normal situations, but if only for the placebo effect, I can tell myself it isn't real. It will go away. And then it always does! Thanks Zoloft!

March 17, 2014 10:41 AM

Review by CMP72:

Zoloft (sertraline): My Dr. put me on 25mg to help me sleep and stop unwanted thoughts as a result of marital stress. I was experiencing a knot in my stomach and episodes of weeping. Since starting this medication, I feel so much happier, rested, relaxed. I had diarrhea for the first 2 days, but it was mild. I am not feeling out of control anymore. I think when my marriage issues are over, I will stop taking it. This medicine has really come through!

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 17, 2014 9:29 AM