User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Sertraline Rating Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 38 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Panic Disorder

Zoloft (sertraline): "I took Zoloft for anxiety and panic attacks. It worked the first day! Only downside of this is I felt tired and zombie like. But it definitely helps."

LeaC21 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "Zoloft has helped me tremendously! I am going on week 6. I kept going on the Internet reading the terrible side effects. I kept putting it off even though my sister in law is a pharmacist. I was scared. Terified. I'm in my 40s very fit. I kept thinking I would feel better. I thought it was hormones. I kept having panic attacks which didn't last long, but it still happened.There was a lot that happened over the course of the months and I believe my body just said enough. So once I experienced the panic attacks it fueled to the fire, worry set in and it was a terrible cycle. I started it after my friend opened up. I didn't feel alone. The first week I experienced diarrhea three days. No insomnia, no weight gain. I'm calmer for sure!"

Ddc2030 April 28, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "Horrible. I was put on it right after the birth of my 2nd son for anxiety. It took me 2 years to realize that the Zoloft was the cause of my increased desire to drink (I would drink a bottle of whiskey and think nothing of it, and before Zoloft, that never would have happened), weight gain (over 30 lbs) and overall depersonalized and foggy feeling. I felt like a robot going through the motions. I became very lazy (I am a go-go-go person. Never have I been lazy in my life) and it negatively affected my relationships with my husband and kids. I was just disinterested in everything. I was really unhappy. I never thought it was the Zoloft, I just thought I was a stressed, tired and burned out mom... I've successfully weaned off and will never take it again"

LilyMae39 April 19, 2016

"I'm at 5 months and I'm finally feeling better. The first 2 weeks were TERRIBLE (nausea, insomnia, increased anxiety). The first 2 months were bad but bearable, wouldn't have made it through without the emergency ativan my doctor prescribed me. Finally started to feel better around 3 months. Started at 25mg and slowly moved up in 12.5mg increments to 75mg. Also went to therapy, practiced mediation, and exercised to help recovery."

pennyls April 18, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "I had some anxiety in college, then graduated, and the anxiety stayed. I used medication as my last resort, and after my doctor decided taking clonazepam everyday wasn't cutting it- I went on Zoloft. I expressed my concern about the weight gain aspect of this drug, and my doctor told me this was weight neutral....HA. a year later and I am 25 pounds heavier despite strict diet and exercise. The drug does wonders for anxiety, but I cannot deal with the weight. I am now considered obese. I've tried everything, and the only thing that seems to work is simply not eating (which obviously isn't practical). I am in the process of getting off this drug."

Lpars (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 16, 2016

"I am a former soldier who has suffered for 12 years with anxiety and panic . Some nights I would lie in bed and feel like my body was clenched trying to stop the anxiety , I would wake up having panic attacks . I tried citalopram but it made me feel like a zombie , I tried it for 1 year and came off . I tried CBT and it just didn't work . My doctor asked me to sertraline as I couldn't handle the anxiety anymore even after 12 years of resistance and methods to relax myself . So far I have had minor side effects , burning hands and neck but very occasionally and not severe and mild headache here and there , but my god I feel relaxed and composed , I'm 2 weeks in , I'm actually sleeping through and feel like it's starting to work ."

EvansCA April 11, 2016

"I have been on Zoloft for almost two years. It has done wonders for my anxiety. I used to have horrible panic attacks that would make daily things hard and nearly impossible to do. The first week I was on Zoloft it was hard. It makes you feel like crap but after the meds get in your system you start to feel better. I was first on the 25mg but had to get it raised up to 50mg. The side effects do come back when you raise the medication but it helps more than the 25 so I am glad that I raised the dose. One more raise and it should be perfect."

Tyler453 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 11, 2016

"I have been taking Zoloft for panic disorder/agoraphobia for just over a year. Literally best decision EVER!!! I'm on 50mg and had side effects (loss of appetite, nausea, tight jaw) for about a month but they COMPLETELY went away after that. And none of the side effects were honestly that big of a deal to me. It took about a solid 8 weeks for me to fully feel like it was working so hang in there if at the 6th week mark you don't feel much different! Zoloft has CHANGED my life. I can't even begin to describe it. I haven't had a panic attack since I started the medicine. I read so many reviews on so many different sites. All i can say is do not give up. I'm SOO glad I stuck it out. If Zoloft doesn't work, try another! *But patience is KEY."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 4, 2016

"I went on this website when I was just starting out on Zoloft and it helped calm my nerves so I wanted to return the favor. When I first got on the drug I had every side effect. Extreme nervousness, extreme anxiety, insomnia, dry mouth, dizziness and depersonalization. I thought it would never end. But just as most of these posts state, most of the side effects went away in 2-3 weeks. I started taking it at night but switched to the morning and that helped a lot. I'm on 25 mg and I have no plan or increasing the dose. I believe that everytime you lower or increase you will have side effects again. I wish I started on 12.5 mg(half a pill) because I think it would have helped with the side effects. The drug works... push thorugh!"

ladybot March 29, 2016

"I'm a 18 year old girl suffering from extreme panic attacks and anxiety. It had gotten to the point where I couldn't go through the day with out having a panic attack whilst screaming crying and pleading that I didn't want to live anymore, one night I woke up in pure panic and passed out with a BP of 79/60. I started taking Zoloft and it has completely changed my life and I believe it is saving me. I'm so much better now, it's incredible. I tried 5 different medicines before this, and this is the only one that has shown any improvement."

85Jess March 28, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "After two months of being on this medication, I had to wean off. I just couldn't take it anymore. You feel absolutely horrible on this stuff. Severe brain fog, unease, restless, extremely affected my cognitive abilities, etc. This was the worst SSRI I have ever taken. It did not work for me, however, it might work for you. After two months of being off the medication, the brain fog and cognitive abilities are still present, this did not happen on other SSRIs."

Dave202020 March 26, 2016

"I am on 100mg dose. Improves symptoms slightly but still prevalent. I suffer a few side effects such as tiredness."

soojung (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 24, 2016

"Zoloft has saved my life! I was suffering from panic all throughout the day. It was hard to relax, focus on my work and enjoy anything. I could cry so easily. I was always opposed to medication but couldn't stand the pain of constant anxiety. I'm on 50mg, it's been two months and I cannot believe how much better life has gotten. I had very little side effects and only within the first week or two. If you're suffering, do yourself a great big favor and give this medication a try!"

miranme (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 19, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "I read these reviews, body tingling, shaking, concentrating on every breath or I would choke to death, using all of my will to focus on these reviews with tears in my eyes imagining that some of these success stories could happen to me and promised to write one if i could make it out alive. I'm 22 and started having severe panic 2 years ago. Don't worry about the side effects. If your experience was like mine every day, side effects would be a break from the dread and torture I felt every second. Zoloft brought me right back to the person I remember being before the panic. Just try it and give it time. It gradually got better over 3 weeks along with klonopin for attacks in that time. I hope this gives someone the hope and courage to try it."

DomB March 16, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "I am 6 days into Sertraline 50mg for panic disorder and want to reassure anyone who is terrified of starting this drug because they've read about all the terrible side effects, just as I was. I am a 23yr old female suffering from this for 8 years. Various therapies have helped but I keep relapsing. Last week I gave in and spoke to my Dr about meds. The first night I panicked because I was so scared of the side effects, which turned out to be mild at worst. Insomnia the first night, day 2 mild headache + slight diarrhea, and slight nausea on day 3+4, also loss of appetite. Overall, it felt like a mild hangover. I have felt slight anxiety at times, but it subsides quickly and doesn't develop. I'm feeling calmer already not even a week in!"

Cleo1992 (taken for less than 1 month) March 6, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "It's been over a year now that I've been on Zoloft. I take 200 mg a day and I still cannot believe how much my life has changed/improved!! I am 36 years old and had been suffering from severe panic attacks, anxiety, and agoraphobia for almost 15 years...it was a complete challenge to get to work and even imagine a day without the feeling of anxiety from literally the time I woke up until I went to bed.. .I wasn't enjoying life at all, I was just existing. I had absolutely no control of my own conscious!! I finally decided that I had to try a prescription or else I would let this take over what little life I had completely! I started Zoloft on 25mg and worked up to the max of 200mg over about three months. It was the best decision ever!"

Winnie333 March 5, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "Okay first of all! It will work! You need to give it time. Don't search up how long it will work that gives you more anxiety! Mine took a while to work. I was originally on 50mg and my appetite was getting better. But after 3 weeks my sleep still wasn't better and I had to up my dose to 100mg. I am starting to sleep normally again after taking this for 6 weeks! I really do fully feel like my self and I'm not waking up with panic anymore. It makes you feel so good to the point that you feel so normal that you'll be wondering if you don't need to take it anymore. I fortunately only get anxiety because I'm in school. So I hope to taper off of it after I'm done with school!"

Nursing School Problems (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 4, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "I been on Zoloft for almost a month an I started on 25mg the first 1 to 2 weeks were ok I had mild nausea heart racing insomnia but went away start working but when I up my dose to 50 mg nausea burning stomach gas running to the bathroom I hope this feeling goes away soon scared."

Babylionhead March 4, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "I have been on Zoloft for 6 months 100mg a day. It worked great for me. Then out of the blue I started feel bad again like I felt before I started Zoloft. Low energy & borderline anxiety attacks all day every day."

britney31915 March 1, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "I've been on Zoloft since I was 21 and I'm now 31. One day I woke up with intense crying, depression, anxiety , fear of family and friends dying and self harm . My personality is one of a very happy go lucky girl and I refused to live with this nightmare. So my doctor put me on 50mg Zoloft. It took about a month for it to work and I had the tiredness, yawning , feeling completely out of it , to waking up and feeling amazing . I have tried to come off Zoloft throughout the years and man the side affects suck ! Intense anxiety, feels like your brain is exploding and vertigo. If you do decide to come off make sure you're under the supervision of your doctor. To this day zoloft has helped me and I will be on this for the rest of my life."

Kristin84 (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 25, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "I Have been on this medication for over a year. Was prescribed 50mg by my doctor due to severe anxiety and panic disorder. I have since not had a single severe panic attack, it also helped a little with my social anxiety. However, it takes longer to reach orgasm and I am only in the mood at nighttime and I have gained 40 pounds and I seem to lack motivation, I also feel like the effects are slowly wearing off so I may have to up the dose slightly or switch to a new medication. I had no initial side effects. I think this medicine works a lot better for anxiety than depression."

Worrierobsessed February 23, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "I'm 24 years old and have suffered anxiety and Panic disorder now for 2 years. Unfortunately my diagnosis was not made until 6 months ago and before that I was severely stuffed around by the medical profession making my Panic and anxiety that much worse. I'm on to day 16 of this medication and i'm hoping it is yet to take full effect. I have definitely noticed an improvement as I haven't had a full blown attack for 2 weeks however I still think of them and feel them coming on daily, this may well be a habitual thing though and from what I've read it can take 4-6 weeks so i'm feeling hopeful. I had all the side effects but these were easy compared to the panic attacks I was experiencing. I'll check in soon to see if that switch has flicked:)"

Chrissypie February 23, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "Hi everyone. I am recently a new user of zoloft. I am in the process of weaning off the current antidepressant pristiq, which I feel has been not helping me...so my therapist recommended zoloft. She had me start by weaning off pristiq by taking my full dosage and half dosage of zoloft and by week 4 I'll be completely off pristiq and on zoloft. I'm curious how everyone feels about zolof...their side affects, improvements etc. I suffer from anxiety attacks and slight depression."

missteecpa333000 February 22, 2016

"I'm 39 (almost 40) I've got 3 kids and have been on this medicine for the last 18 years. I went off of it once when I was pregnant and kept taking it when I had my youngest. He is 14 now and healthy as a lark. I have suffered from anxiety and panic disorder since I was 16. It's been a rough ride but I don't think I could've done it without this medication. I took 50mg for a few years then 75mg and I just started on 100mg. The side effects suck but they go away and are worth living again. I'm on day 5 of 100mg and have had panic attack but I am able to calm myself down. I can tell my appetite has increased but when I feel better and can get out of the house and drive I will start excerising again. It's not going to work immediately be patient"

Happinchik February 21, 2016

"Best thing thy ever happened to me. Been taking it for a year and a half and can't even explain the unexplainable things it has done for me. It has boosted my confidence tramendousely, it has given me a stronger, more independent mind set, reduced my panic attacks dramatically, reduced my feel for depression, it has given me the ability to be myself. You wouldn't understand how much of an improvement it's made as you didn't see how low of a place I was in, I was suicidal, depressed, angry, tired, panicky all day every day, until I finally found sertraline! Although the only problem is I get a bit drowsy some times but I believe that is involved with the smoking... But over all sertraline saved my life!! X"

Sophiee (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 21, 2016