User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Sertraline review summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 19 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Panic Disorder

Review by nadinatal:

Zoloft (sertraline): One week on Zoloft, no more bad dreams and nightmares.I can't remember last time I slept so well.I feel little better with my anxiety and this gives me hope.

February 23, 2015 7:11 PM

Review by KellyBird57 (taken for 10 years or more):

Zoloft (sertraline): It worked pretty well for a long time; I've been on it about 12 years and have had no real issue with it. The problem is that I've been on the max for a while and it's not helping me much anymore.

February 19, 2015 5:17 PM

Review by Renee8914:

Zoloft (sertraline): This has been a miracle for me. I do have to take the name brand though. The fillers they use in generics tear my stomach up.

February 2, 2015 11:04 PM

Review by calabsv (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Just updating my progress with sertraline. It has saved my life. Before this little miraculous pill I was in a downward spiral. I'm a 37.male and always happy till I snapped one day with a panic attack. I upped my dose slowly as every increase will increase anxiety for a few days. Other wise I have had no problems with sex or erections.I can still enjoy a few wines. If you are suffering with panic or anxiety please try this medication and give it at least 3 months to work as no one should have to deal with feeling that way.

February 1, 2015 12:25 AM

Review by Stuarttee (taken for 10 years or more):

Zoloft (sertraline): Been on Zoloft for years and have never looked back. Although, one doctor reduced my dosage and had to up it again, after several weeks. Absolutely no side effects, unless you can call being cheerful, a bad thing!

January 29, 2015 11:44 PM

Review by Winnie333 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft (sertraline): I have suffered from severe anxiety and panic attacks for almost 13 years. Literally every day I was anxious from the time I woke up until I went to bed. Racing thoughts, constant anxiety, and at one point would hardly go out in public fearing a panic attack. Zoloft has changed my life COMPLETELY!! No more racing thoughts or anxiety!! Feeling like a normal person again and actually enjoying life and even laughing! Took two months to start feeling full results. Main side effect was sleeping all the time and loss of appetite. Highly recommend!!

January 25, 2015 12:42 AM

Review by lollipop759 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft (sertraline): I have suffered with depression since I was 16. When I was 21 I started to experience anxiety which developed into a full blown panic disorder. I was afraid of driving, going to work, being with friends, almost anything made me experience horrible physical sensations. In September 2014 I was prescribed prozac this increased my anxiety so was given an anti psychotic which worked but I did not feel anything I felt like a zombie. 5 weeks into taking sertraline I haven't had a panic attack since the first week and when I do get anxiety it goes away quickly and is much less intense. It has given me my confidence back and lifted my mood. For anyone suffering with panic disorder I would recommend giving this a try. I'm on 50mg a day.

January 24, 2015 1:29 PM

Review by Mirgirl (taken for less than 1 month):

Zoloft (sertraline): I started Zoloft 3 weeks ago for panic attacks but I am having a hard time with the side effects. I feel like it has made my anxiety even worse but I am going to continue taking it until I get over the initial starting side effects.

January 23, 2015 4:49 PM

Review by BarbaricCupcakemuffin:

Zoloft (sertraline): My entire life I have had problems with severe anxiety, panic attacks, depression and portion control. (In other words I ate to make myself feel better). I was not overweight. I also would have Obsessive compulsive disorder thoughts for days, weeks, years about events that did not even matter. After taking Zoloft for two months all of my conditions as listed above has ceased to exist. I do not feel the need to eat all the time, I do not have OCD thoughts anymore, depression, anxiety, etc. has disappeared. It honestly brings me to tears thinking about suffering like I have for the past 22 years. Thank you, Zoloft.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 20, 2015 4:55 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I started having panic attacks regularly. I couldn't be on my own, I was afraid of choking every time I ate. It was awful. I lost about 25 pounds in a very short amount of time and couldn't get any of my school work done without suffering from anxiety. I was diagnosed with panic disorder and began taking a variety of medications--eventually I was prescribed Zoloft. It took about a month to kick in but ever since then I have not had a full blown panic attack (although I occasionally suffer from bouts of anxiety). For the most part I would say I seem to suffer from very few side effects--I would say I am more lethargic than normal, sometimes I have trouble falling asleep at night, and I have a decreased sex drive. But no more panic attacks!

January 12, 2015 11:33 PM

Review by 37505253:

Zoloft (sertraline): Well, I'm sitting here in the ER after having increased my Zoloft dosage. It was absolutely horrific! I think I am very sensitive to medications. When I was on 25mg for the first 3 days, everything went well. When I increased to 50mg, as directed, I had every side effect for Serotonin Syndrome imaginable. Now I don know if I should discontinue or go back to the lower M.g.'s.

January 9, 2015 7:32 PM

Review by Duls (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft (sertraline): Zoloft gives me no negative side effects, no weight gain, no "zombie" effect, the only problem is that it makes me pretty restless when trying to fall asleep, but it isn't a huge problem. It really helps me with my agoraphobia, two months ago I could barely leave the house. I also tried Paxil, Prozac, and Lexapro - all of which did not help much. Zoloft it is.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 5, 2015 10:07 AM

Review by RheeMaree (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have been on Zoloft for about 4 years now (previously on Paxil?). I have suffered from anxiety and panic as long as I can remember. I started with 50mg Zoloft once a day and that worked well. I had my dosage upped about 12 months later due to stress (major holiday, moving states etc). This worked great!! About 6 months ago I started taking 1 tablet every 2 days as per doctors directions to begin the weaning off process. This worked well for quite a while, but 10 days ago I went out and drank way more than I ever do. The next day I was hungover and the anxiety returned. I had not experienced it like this for over 4 years! I began taking the 100mg daily again and I'm beginning to feel better.For new users, don't give up! It really does help

December 26, 2014 5:32 PM

Review by FLA33703 (taken for less than 1 month):

Zoloft (sertraline): I am actually just starting Zoloft for very consistent anxiety and probably depression that I am unaware of but I'm sure its there. I have tried propranol which will masque my anxiety but always seems to come back. Now I am waking up in the middle of the night with ringing ears and high heart rate. The Dr. has run about every test in the world and can't find anything wrong with me. I just want to feel normal and live a healthy life. I have heard the first two weeks can be rough with increased anxiety but I need to give it a shot. Hope to have good feedback soon.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 24, 2014 8:25 AM

Review by Maddoxy:

Zoloft (sertraline): Been on it for 3 months. At first it was worse. The panick attacks and anxiety. Then it was like my brain flipped the switch. I feel so much better. Im 30 and started getting anxiety at 22. I never wanted meds. Fought hard and tried everything natural. Finally I gave in. I'm so happy now. I am not afraid of my own shadow anymore. I think I may have put on 3lbs from it, but as long as it stops there. Or it could be all the cookies. Give it a try. I'm not cured, but I NEVER want to go off Zoloft.

December 23, 2014 9:48 PM

Review by BellaNYC (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft (sertraline): My 18 year old son was diagnosed with panic disorder after an episode occurred on his second day of college. The attacks began to come regularly after that, not only in class, but even at home. He would panic when he was outside, and wanted to just stay in his room. It got very bad, so bad we had to withdraw him from his classes so he could get some treatment. We initially started him on a low dose of Klonopin to help ease some of the symptoms, which helped for a couple weeks, but he needed to begin increasing and also had some bad breakthrough panic attacks. We switched him to Zoloft 25mg for 1 week, and then 50mg second week. It is truly the best medication ever! He is back to being and feeling like himself and is able to do everything!

December 8, 2014 3:40 PM

Review by Anonymous..:

Zoloft (sertraline): I'm a very young adult and was in therapy for years from Post traumatic stress disorder from childhood that caused other problems I have now which include anxiety, panic, depression, attachment disorders and fear of abandonment, and most importantly borderline personality disorder. My psychologist and I experimented with a few different antidepressants such as Celexa and Abilify, but Zoloft was my favorite. It was good for me because I no longer had any anxiety attacks causing me to faint over things I couldn't control. When something did happen that would normally make me anxious or panicky, it was a significantly reduced reaction. That was also the bad thing, I almost got in an accident because I was numbed to any emotion, including awareness. I became lazy.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 30, 2014 1:41 AM

Review by traciii (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Zoloft (sertraline): After trying just therapy for panic disorder, major depressive, and general anxiety I finally gave in and starting taking Zoloft. THANK GOD! I haven't had a single panic attack in 5 years when at one point I was having them up to ten times a day! I have had zero side effects. I also took it through pregnancy. I'm 28 and I'm fine with taking Zoloft forever, living without anxiety is just amazing!

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 25, 2014 11:16 AM

Review by blahk (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft (sertraline): I've always had generalized anxiety & social anxiety ever since I can remember, but I would still push myself to go places like mall, Walmart, or just walk out my front door, not knowing what was wrong with me. So around 17 I dropped out of school, & started working as a cashier, did good & managed to control my anxiety, until I'm 18 now, and here come the panic attacks & agoraphobia kicking in. I hated leaving the house & just being around people period. So I quit my job; I went to the doctor he put me on Paxil 10mg, then Paxil 20mg didnt do anything, then Zoloft 50mg then 100mg a month later. Overall my mood is much better/calmer. I'm still a shaky mess in public & even around people.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 22, 2014 10:35 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Zoloft (sertraline): I would have panic attacks and would cut myself to avoid feeling nervous and anxious about things I couldn't control. I pretty much had a great experience while I was on Zoloft. I was taking 100mgs a day. Very few panic attacks and if I would have feelings of panic, it was much less intense. After about a year, I decided I no longer wanted to be taking anti depressants. I weaned myself off of it. First week I took 75mg, then 50, then 25. This is the end of my first full week off Zoloft and for the most part I feel fine. I think the medicine helps. I noticed my smoking habit has started to come back as my desire for a cigarette while on Zoloft was minimal.

October 19, 2014 5:14 PM

Review by calabsv (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I'm in New Zealand and thankfully medication is fully covered here. In Feb I had my first panic attack and the next day it became a daily things, just waiting for the next one and horrible anxiety all the time. I sought help right away, as I was very sacred off the possible side effects of SSRIs I opted to try alternative options including Buspar, none of which really worked. Finally I decided to go on sertraline. I started very low on 25 mg Building to 100mg over 3 months. I have to say it's the best decision I ever made, side effects were minimal, just higher anxiety with dose increases but once I knew to expect it it was not so scary. I also have had no sexual side effects. This medicine has made life livable again, if you need it take.

October 18, 2014 5:46 PM

Review by Overcome1985:

Zoloft (sertraline): The only reason I'm giving this medication an 8 is because of the initial side effects and the time it took to find an adequate dose. I've been on Zoloft for around 6 months now. I had suffered with panic disorder for most of my adult life, I'm currently 29 years old. I tried a few different SSRIs, but never really gave them a chance. I relied on Ativan taken twice daily, totaling 2 mg. I started out taking 25 mg of Zoloft and worked up to 150 mg daily. At first, it was fairly difficult and I'm really surprised that I didn't just give up within a few days, let alone a few weeks. I read many reviews on here and wondered if that would ever be me. If I was asked 5 months ago, I never would have had anything good to say. But now ...it changed my life.

October 8, 2014 4:42 AM

Review by Sammosh:

Zoloft (sertraline): It's been really amazing. I'm on 50mg daily of Zoloft and I went from horrible frequent panic attacks to occasional, "normal" anxiety. I feel like my life is totally different to how it was a year ago (I wouldn't even leave the house for fear of panic attacks). I switched from Lexapro which was not nearly as effective.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 1, 2014 2:03 AM

Review by Ann81:

Zoloft (sertraline): I really hope to help someone out there suffering with this nightmare called "Panic Disorder". I suffered for the last 2 years with debilitating panic. My dad died of cancer two years ago, and one week later my son got very ill. Needless to say I had a nervous breakdown and ever since then panic ruled my life which led to depression and agoraphobia setting in. I was scared to death of SSRI's and suffered needlessly for 2 years. Two weeks ago I went to a Psychiatrist, he prescribed me Zoloft 25mg to start for 2 weeks then up it to 50mg. I am also taking 0.5mg Xanax twice a day. I have to say I feel great! Not a single panic attack since the 3rd day of taking med. I also am way more social and sleep a thousand times better! Thank you Zoloft!!

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 20, 2014 8:02 AM

Review by Gimp (taken for 10 years or more):

Zoloft (sertraline): Suffered from anxiety most of my life, then around 23 suffered a panic attack which caused me problems until my late 40's when my doctor put me on Zoloft. Huge turnaround. Zero anxiety. While I don't think I'll ever forget the fear of panic attacks, I haven't had one since, and can do most things I used to be afraid of, Long Bridges, Elevators, etc.

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 2, 2014 9:05 PM