User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Sertraline review summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Depression

Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more):

Zoloft (sertraline): I have had depression since I can remember. Lost lots of relations because of it. Got on it eleven years ago and have more friends then ever.

January 5, 2015 10:27 PM

Review by nyse (taken for less than 1 month):

Been taking sertraline for a 3 1/2 weeks and I would have to say it was my best decision. It took me a while to say I was depressed and when I did my Dr. Started with 50 mg and I couldn't feel better. I would definitely recommend. Stop all bad thoughts, made me calmer, and able to deal with life outside of my bed.

January 1, 2015 10:59 PM

Review by 140756:

Zoloft (sertraline): Zoloft has been a life saver for me. I honestly don't know how I would've gotten through the past year without it. I had anxiety and depression, but after I started taking Zoloft, I was finally starting to feel myself again and my headaches have gone away. If you have moderate to severe anxiety and depression, I would highly recommend this. It truly saved me.

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 25, 2014 3:19 AM

Review by Serenamine (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft (sertraline): I took Sertraline for Moderate Depression which it was exceptionally good at diminishing. I have been taking it for just under 6 weeks for moderate depression, social anxiety and generalised anxiety. It worked for depression the best, by far; however, not half as good for the anxiety, perhaps because it requires a higher dose and longer intake. Definitely consider Sertraline for depression, its side effects were minimal (if any because it was so unnoticeable).

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 6, 2014 6:25 PM

Review by Felinelover13 (taken for less than 1 month):

Zoloft (sertraline): I have been on sertraline for 4 weeks and a day, my dr started me on 50mg, then after 3 weeks and 3 days she upped my dosage to 100mg, I have felt the side effects so I know this medication is doing something, however, I don't feel any better for taking it, I thought by now it would kick in..

December 6, 2014 5:36 PM

Review by Dan1234321:

This medication works great for depression, even at lower doses (50mg). It generally makes you happier, but only after a few weeks. In the first week it may make you more depressed (and anxious). It started working in the third week for (moderate) depression.

December 4, 2014 10:56 AM

Review by JerseyLeighx (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Zoloft (sertraline): I always read these but never put on my own thoughts. I'm a 27 year old female with 2 young beautiful girls, and a very loving husband. It all sounds so perfect but my mood is far from that. I've been suffering silently with depression for years but only spoke to my doctor 6 months ago. 50mg made me worse, my mood was lower than before, shakes, heart palpitations etc but after a week, all side effects stopped but my mood was still lower than ever. Upped too 100mg, felt slightly better. Upped again to 150mg still felt better but then all of a sudden my depression got so much worse than it has ever been. Now on 200mg, still feel so low & down & zombified. Can't make decisions, just numb.

November 30, 2014 4:45 AM

Review by Toxica (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Zoloft (sertraline): I started to develop depression around puberty, over the years it became more and more intense. Some days I would cry and have to leave school, around two years ago my Doctor put me on 50mg of Zoloft. The first few weeks were a wreck, I had terrible nausea, was tired all the time, could barely eat, and some days I would experience a zombie feeling. After the Zoloft started to kick in the side effects subsided. I went through bouts of not taking it and then I would feel bad and start taking it again, every time I went back on the pill the stomach pains increased to were I would eat once every other day. Since then I have been put on a new medication that I hope starts kicking in. All in all Zoloft was amazing, if you stick to it.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 20, 2014 11:28 AM

Review by Nurse Nan (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Zoloft (sertraline): I am 39 years old, was a new nurse and struggling with major depression. I had not been to a Dr in years and broke down crying at the first visit. Started 50 mg a day. Felt a little funny first couple days but now feel much better! Everyone noticed a change for the better and even got a promotion at work! Feel so much better and have not had any side effects!

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 16, 2014 12:06 PM

Review by pepper6 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Zoloft (sertraline): I'm on 200 mg of Zoloft and it has changed my life!

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 3, 2014 10:46 AM

Review by HanGal:

On my 14th day of sertraline and I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. Admittedly the first week was pretty terrible, it worsened my depression and anxiety quite alot but now that's eased, I feel wonderful! I was in such a state before, nothing made sense - I literally couldn't enjoy anything. I finally feel like I'm going to get my life back, and can once again enjoy the sun on my face.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 28, 2014 8:30 AM

Review by Sig (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Zoloft (sertraline): Generic Sertraline gave me some relief but it made me jittery and gave me headaches. After reading testimonials I insisted on the name brand Zoloft. so glad I did. It's like a completely different medicine. More relaxed and not full of negative thinking. I still get overly anxious if something stressful happens but it doesn't last long. Side effects are more tolerable, though it does make me tired.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 27, 2014 2:11 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Zoloft (sertraline): I've been on sertraline for almost a year now. On the 25mg I didn't notice any kind of difference. I was suffering from major depression, self-harm, and suicidal thoughts. My dr bumped me up to a 50mg dose & have stayed here for about 8 months now. My girlfriend calls it my "happy pills" because when I forget to take a dose or two, everyone can tell.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 23, 2014 4:58 PM

Review by Skyfall007:

Zoloft (sertraline): Zoloft has helped me a lot. I suffered from mild depression and mild anxiety for years. I'm a 38 yr old male. I requested Zoloft from the Dr. And I'm on the 50mg dose. It started working right away. I felt effects the first night. I was sick the next day but that was the only time. I had some euphoria during the first couple of weeks. Next to impossible to orgasim. I have zero anxiety it's amazing. Not as depressed but didn't fully take it away but really helped. It was the right choice for me. Highly recommended. I would make the same choice.

October 17, 2014 2:44 PM

Review by scotty888 (taken for less than 1 month):

Zoloft (sertraline): I've been reading a lot of reviews on this site, let me tell those that are new to this or thinking of going on sertraline. I have horrible side effects with medication and got serotonin syndrome on citalopram. I was scared to death of going on sertraline. I'm on day 17 on 50mg and I honestly say I've not had one single side effect at all. Its starting to hit me and I feel amazing. 100 times better than having anxiety. Wow

128 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 16, 2014 8:12 AM

Review by JoseeD (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Zoloft (sertraline): It saved my life. It was the perfect medicine for me, except for chronic constipation. Went to the hospital for the constipation (I did not know it was caused by Zoloft at the time), and they found I had appendicitis, which ruptured while I was waiting at the hospital, and also that I had kidney cancer, so got 2 surgeries, 1 for the ruptured appendicitis and 1 to take away my left kidney. Had it not been for the Zoloft, I would be dead. I of course had to change medicines and go the second choice prescribed by the psychiatrist. It works, but not as well as the Zoloft, unfortunately. Zoloft is excellent, and if it was not for chronic constipation, I'd be back on it. Good luck all.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 19, 2014 10:39 AM

Review by JohnnyBoi453 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft (sertraline): I'm 19 and Zoloft has been a LIFESAVER for me! I've had very bad generalized anxiety, social anxiety, panic attacks, and mild depression. I recently had been on Xanax then Klonopin as needed, but I felt as if those types of medications wouldn't help me in the long run. I've been on 25 mg of Zoloft for a month and a half, and I feel WONDERFUL! The horrible, disabling anxiety I once had is almost nonexistent, and my depression melted away! My mood is stabilized, I have a lot of energy, focusing on school work is a synch, and I interact with others with confidence. Yes, I feel like a totally renewed, cleansed person with a constant sense of motivation! Zoloft saved my life! Little to no side effects either. Very mild antidepressant.

165 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 10, 2014 7:50 PM

Review by hopeful female 30s:

Sertraline has helped with my mood swings and unwanted thoughts. I take 50 mg and can instantly feel if I miss my dosage. I would like to ween off but have too much going on that I don't think I can handle alone. Reasons I want to stop is memory loss, difficulty focusing, even struggle with people's names and I gain 20 lbs. For now the results outweigh the side effects but I'm hopeful I can get to a better place soon so I can safely stop.

September 8, 2014 10:10 PM

Review by Gazz (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft (sertraline): Been on this medicine for 2 months 50 mg, feel so much better and much more relaxed. So much better than Prozac which made me very full of anxiety.

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 30, 2014 8:09 AM

Review by lessdepress:

25 yr old woman UK., I was very low for 3 and a half years, I didn't really realize i was getting more and more depressed until the past 6 months, and 4 months ago I found it hard to get out of bed or talk! Being shy and anxious as well it was really hard to pluck up the courage to go to my doctor, Which was embarrassing as I just cried and cried in his office and he wasn't very concerned and put me on citalopram 20mg, this wasn't very helpful and I did feel zombie like. I decided to stop using it after 3 months but then I got really REALLY depressed and went to a different doctor who put me on sertraline 50mg, its been close to 2 weeks and I feel like I'm actually getting better. A more supportive doctor was nearly as good as this, for me.

August 29, 2014 4:12 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I took Zoloft for a year and a half when I was younger. It lifted a very dark cloud and got me through a bad situation until the year was over and I could change situations. It put an extra 10 pounds on me even though I was extremely athletic. More recently I tried going on it again ten years later and it didn't work. I've heard that happening with this medicine before, it works once but may not work if you go on it a second time. So I credit it with helping me once but not something I could return to.

August 29, 2014 10:52 AM

Review by Lola Jane:

Zoloft (sertraline): Max dose needed for effect but working great . A bit of weight gain but tolerable . Helps me sleep better

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 26, 2014 10:57 PM

Review by echo111:

I have been using sertraline for about 3 months now. I was worried about the side effects of the medication, but I am really pleased with the results. I started on 25 mg and then increased the dose to 50mg after 1 month. This drug has been phenomenal for me. I am a 25 year old female who suffers from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, depression and anxiety. I was worried about weight gain, but I have actually lost weight while on this medicine. My mood is much more stable and predictable, I don't cry or feel down like I used too. Consulting with a doctor and trying an anti-depressant is truly one of the best decisions I've made.

August 8, 2014 2:27 PM

Review by loknath:

Zoloft (sertraline): Zoloft is really good.

July 5, 2014 8:38 AM

Review by Kieare (taken for less than 1 month):

Zoloft (sertraline): I have anxiety and depression. I was really against taking medication so I tried to resolve my issues myself. Needless to say, it never worked. I had been going through periods of depersonalization, feeling extremely down, suicidal and hopeless. I really thought life wasn't worth living anymore. It got so bad that I ended up in the hospital. I started taking 50 mg Zoloft and honestly it has been a life changer. I don't experience depersonalization anymore. My mood has been lifted so much that I don't feel down anymore, suicidal or hopeless. If you're afraid to take medicines please just give it a try. You won't regret it. Celexa didn't work for me, but I was determined to find a medicine that would. The key is to be patient.

274 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 28, 2014 8:57 AM