User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Sertraline Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 223 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Depression

Zoloft (sertraline): "My 20 year old daughter was in a stump of being unmotivated , unhappy and very negative . She had always been very focused , happy and loved life. I recommended she go to her family physician and see about taking a low dose of anti depressant . 3 months later my daughter is back to herself . Zoloft has really helped her and she is a joy to be around again . She has claimed the only side effect is she had trouble sleeping the first 4 weeks when on Zoloft but now she's sleeping again ."

Maddcs May 21, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "I am in my early 50s. The "docs" gave me this med initially for "stress". I was referred to a "psychiatrist" right after & I complied. The "Psychiatrist" announced I had "full blown clinic depression" even though all I felt was stress. I took the medication as prescribed (25mg), & had to endure 1 week of agony, but figured it was part of "the drug". I had muscle twitches, sweating, hot/cold sensation was thrown off, Blood pressure would shoot up & drop low, NO SLEEP at all for 1 week, before the "medication" took hold. Getting off the crap was just as bad if not worse. As a result of this med, I have become well acquainted with the local Sheriffs Dept, who showed up twice to "Baker Act" me For the side-affect - suicidal thoughts."

PammiePi2 May 19, 2016

"Took 8 weeks to improve depression minimal side effects"

Db2409 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2016

"I have been suffering with depression since I was 9 years old. I was also diagnosed with PTSD, social anxiety disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, and AD/HD. I was going to start medication years ago, but found out that I was pregnant and unable to start a medication. After I delivery I developed PPD bringing the end of our relationship. A year later i decided that it was time for me to start taking a medication. I started out on 25mg daily and I felt better within days, but was still have depressive episodes, so moved up to 50mg. I have been on 50 for 2 months and still have some depressive episodes during my cycle but it's manageable. I have trouble sleeping but that's really it. My appetite has lessened but nothing major."

15YearDepression (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "Wish I could rate this a zero. I have always had clear skin and no problems with acne or anything, no allergies, but this made me break out in hives. My depression and anxiety worsened exponentially. Worst experience, temporarily destroyed my life"

Ash474 (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2016

"Sertraline changed my life. My anxiety attacks began in the fall, and as a university student, there were little options or ways to cope without it affecting my studies and social life. I eventually stopped going to class, believing that there was going to be no solution. I began taking sertraline and even with a small dose (which eventually increased) I felt better. I almost feel better than I did before I was aware of my anxiety. I wasn't educated and was a non-believer thinking that medication could truly solve problems in your head but after finally listening and taking advice it did for me. May not work for everyone, but thought I would share my experience."

Adgram (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 15, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "I have constant mid-level depression and have also self medicated this with marijuana, helps a lot but only if you smoke all the time so I decided to go to the docter and right away he started me off with 100mg zoloft and I just tried this for the next month, the first 2 weeks my emotions were uncontrollable happy, sad, angry, numb, energetic, then tired. So then after the 2 weeks I didn't feel depressed really but didn't feel happy either?just a neutral feeling. So i stopped and decided medical marjiuana works better for me."

Baustin all natural April 15, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "My husband has had depression and at times severe anxiety for years. He would have anxiety attacks so bad he was sure he was having a full blown heart attack every time, and his anxiety prevented him from sleeping because he was sure he would die in his sleep. His depression was bad as well, he was sure the world would be better off without him. He tried different medications but nothing really worked, some seemed to improve things a little bit but for the most part I had given up hope that any of them really do much. Then he tried Zoloft. For him, this was the one. It took the edge off after about a week, after two weeks I could definitely tell a difference. After about 6 weeks he was back to his normal self."

tini00072 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 14, 2016

"This has to be one of the worst drugs I have ever been prescribed , the side effects are horrible , and have to take more medication to deal with them ! I started off on 50mg , then was weekly increased to 200mg . After 6 months of feeling like death I have decided to wean myself off of them . Everyone I talk to seem to be taking them , they appear to be the fashionable drug at the moment ( probably the cheapest ) and I have heard good and bad reviews , but everyone I've spoken to has some kind of ongoing side effects . Definitely not the drug for me , can't wait to get off of them and hopefully start to feel more human again !"

Daft punk April 13, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "I’ve suffered from longstanding low-level depression ever since I can remember, and have often pondered with the idea of trying an antidepressant even though I stay away from medication as much as I can. Everything has worsened over the last year since my youngest, fittest sister died prematurely of breast cancer with extensive liver metastasis (or whichever came first)…I was with her for the 7 weeks after diagnosis and watched her take her last 2 breaths; this pain has become more intense lately and I would find myself crying like a baby over my little sister… My demented elderly father got a prescription for Zoloft (he must also be depressed because of my sister’s death), but since no one at his home was giving it to him I decided to give it a try! I’ve been taking 25mg (elixir) for 2 weeks and have seen a huge difference in my crying spells; I still think about my little sister, but don’t feel that overwhelming sadness as much… The first week I took the Zoloft at bedtime, but started to notice difficulty falling asleep, so now I take it in the morning…I felt no other side effects! I’m far from being a peppy, energetic person, but at least some of my suffering has been alleviated, and that’s what living is about; who needs to be in constant emotional pain!? Good luck to all!"

Camenta (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2016

"Had depression for almost 8 years - been on these tablets for about 3 years. Am on 150mg a day. On the plus side it does seem to work to a degree, although most of the time feel tired, don't sleep (even if I take them in the morning). Side effects for these at these dosages and not good - hate the dry mouth, feeling tired and nausea - even though I train 4 days a week"

Aaarrrahh (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 6, 2016

"I could not bear the side effects I took half a pill once and was absolutely miserable for two days. I was so nauseous and tingly and I felt out of body. Maybe it would have worked if I stuck with it but it was not worth the side effect. Plus I have school to deal with. Dr is having me try lexapro. Btw I'm 18."

QuinP (taken for less than 1 month) April 4, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "Having felt sick for the better part of the last year, many side effects of pain in my neck due to 3 bulging discs, I was recently hospitalized with heart palpitations but nothing seems to be wrong with my heart. My doctor thought I may be having depression due to all my physical pain. She started me on 25 mg of zoloft two weeks ago and increased it to 50 mg today. I'm feeling a positive change already. Not dwelling on my feelings of pain and sickness. I will continue zoloft as the side effects are minimal compared to the benefits"

T cr March 31, 2016

"Been taking 50mg of Sertraline a day for about 2 months now and can honestly say I feel like a new person. I feel more able to be myself and problems don't get to me as much as they did before. I've experienced ongoing dreams at night (each dream picks up from where the last left off) but that's probably the only odd thing I've experienced and it's nice to have dreams again anyway, gives you a chance to think about what your subconscious mind is telling you."

Jan20 March 30, 2016

"Due to long ongoing depression and Fibromyalgia my GP prescribed these meds my health has changed dramatically and Fibro has decreased."

Finneyhux (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "I am also usually very much against taking medications especially ones that can alter your behavior but I have to say that this was a godsend. I never once considered taking a daily medication before and was very skeptical. The only reason I rated this product a 9 instead of 10 is because I experienced side effects during my first week of taking it that I was not expecting. I read that these side effects are pretty rare but they did include symptoms that were similar to flu. Before I started taking Zoloft, I was extremely anxious, shaky, nervous, and I would get into random fits and be consistently depressed. Since being on it I have felt much more calm and I feel like I have a better quality of life."

ML923753 March 25, 2016

"I started the medicine about 2 months ago and have recently in the past few weeks been experiencing strange dreams. I don't know if it is caused by this medication or the other one I'm on called buspirone."

Duckma (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "I've been taking 50mg of this daily for 2 weeks and I'm pleasantly surprised. I've only ever taken one other medication for my depression before this so I wasn't sure what to expect. I feel "normal". I don't know how else to explain it. I'm not panicking over small things or dwelling on problems I can't fix as much. My depression and anxiety makes me kind of hot head and I snap at people out of the blue but this medication seems to be helping. The only negative side effects I've had so far are slight nausea and dry mouth. I'm going to continue to take this and I recommend talking to your doctor to see if it could possibly work for you."

DW93 (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "So far this drug has saved my life. After experiencing a traumatic experience I spiralled into a heavy depression coupled with anxiety. It's only been one week and I'm no longer crying daily and the hopeless feeling is subsiding. It's also helped stopped the obsessive thoughts I've been having about the traumatic event."

Lizbee1 (taken for less than 1 month) March 5, 2016

"It is definitely by far the best medicine for anxiety,and depression,it reduces them in a month by 90%.The downside is the stomach problem with the med.,it looks like never goes away..."

Anonymous March 4, 2016

"I have suffered with depression for about 10 years, every time I'd go to the doctors I was told 'it was just hormones' or 'it's your pill'. But about 18 months ago it became unbearable, I didn't want to be here anymore, I couldn't handle being on my own, I almost lost my job, I couldn't sleep, I literally couldn't make it through the day without having a breakdown. Since taking the tablets (150mg) my life has changed, for the first time in a long time I am genuinely happy with my life. I still have my moments, but I only get upset when something worth getting upset about happens, which I am glad for as my main fear was that the tablets would make me emotionally numb. I am so pleased I finally got the help I needed."

Charlie90 February 28, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "Zoloft has given me the last leap I need to heal my mind. I have been struggling with severe anxiety, insomnia and bouts of depression for 3 years. While I have been off work into therapy and other means of rehabilitation, for the first time in years I actually feel calmer most the time, and mostly happy. I'm so grateful. It's been trial and error and a slow process, but I know my self-care is my main priority now. See more of my story:mental-health-matters-a-womans-story-of-the-struggle. Good luck to all."

Unimatrix1981 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 26, 2016

"I've had severe depression for 6 years, and just now began to take medications. I began at 50 mg, which was quickly bumped up to 100 mg only 2 weeks later due to no effects. Two weeks later, I was bumped up again to 150 mg. I have yet to notice any positive effects, but my parents say that I have been more pleasant to live with. I'm just as much, if not more, suicidal. Yet my parents claim that it has been working, I'm still not so sure. However, I haven't had any side effects until after my 2nd week of taking 150 mg. I've struggled with diarrhea and loose stools, unusual drowsiness, increased sleep (to the point it is unhealthy), stomach cramps, gas, hot flashes, headaches, vivid nightmares and abnormal dreams, increased thirst, etc"

amanda 17 February 18, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "I've been suffering from manic depression and anxiety since I was a teenager. I came to my breaking point last month and finally sought professional help. I'm now on day 3 with taking Zoloft 25mg twice daily and I've noticed some difference already and it's for the better. I'm not really experiencing the side effects everyone is talking about and I'm sleeping just fine. I was a little sleepy the first day and body was a little sore but nothing like everyone is describing. I know its only been day 3 so its not really in my system. So I'll check in in a few weeks. Wish me luck"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 14, 2016

"I was on this firstly for social anxiety disorder , after 1 month I felt pleased, happy and had interest in doing any thing then I concluded that I had mild depression but it has done nothing for my SAD, but it helped by giving me the desire to socialize .. my ratings : 10 for depression and 6 for SAD"

Hish-Ovech (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 7, 2016