User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Sertraline review summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Depression

Review by KittyL (taken for less than 1 month):

I've suffered from depression and anxiety for as long as I can remember. It finally got so bad that I had no choice but to go to the doctor. I hoped going on medication would enable me to function again. This stuff has far surpassed that! I'm happy and motivated and energetic now. I only wish I started this years ago! LOVE IT!!! :D

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 27, 2015 9:05 PM

Review by Alliey (taken for less than 1 month):

Zoloft (sertraline): I was on Celexa for a year and it wasn't working for me. Then my doctor prescribed me Zoloft and it's my fourth day taking it and I love it. I finally have a clear head on my shoulders. And for the first time in a long time, I don't feel depressed at all. I would highly recommend this to anyone who suffers from depression.

February 15, 2015 4:40 PM

Review by Codr (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft (sertraline): This medicine completely changed my life. Before I got on it, I was in deep depression and had a horrible chemical imbalance in my brain. I have been on this medicine for 2 months. This is wonderful. Now I'm more happy, smiling, and the chemicals in my brain are balanced. I did gain 3 pounds since on this although it was supposed to decrease appetite.

February 13, 2015 10:58 PM

Review by I'm JT:

I have recently experienced a most unusual muscle reaction when I try to go to sleep. It's like my legs twist and contort, and I have no control over them. I recently reviewed side effects of Sertraline and noted this on several occasions in their warnings.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 6, 2015 12:19 PM

Review by Zatch:

Zoloft (sertraline): Lately I've been having really bad panic attacks, migraines, night terrors/nightmares every night for three weeks I started Zoloft last night and it already started working within a night I'm more calm and feel like my old self already.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 28, 2015 6:23 AM

Review by Lou1985 (taken for less than 1 month):

Zoloft (sertraline): IT'S MY SAVIOR, I was in severe anxiety and depression for the last 6 months, it felt like there was no hope anymore, started taking Zoloft, and today is my 4th week. It's not that I don't feel depressed anymore, I FEEL HAPPY, enjoying every moment of life, I go to work full of motivation now, I feel like nothing can stress me out, you sound very confident in front of your colleagues. I am so thankful for this medicine, it gave me my potential, my efficiency and my life back. No significant side effects, other than weight gain.

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 25, 2015 6:05 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more):

Zoloft (sertraline): I have had depression since I can remember. Lost lots of relations because of it. Got on it eleven years ago and have more friends then ever.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 5, 2015 10:27 PM

Review by nyse (taken for less than 1 month):

Been taking sertraline for a 3 1/2 weeks and I would have to say it was my best decision. It took me a while to say I was depressed and when I did my Dr. Started with 50 mg and I couldn't feel better. I would definitely recommend. Stop all bad thoughts, made me calmer, and able to deal with life outside of my bed.

January 1, 2015 10:59 PM

Review by 140756:

Zoloft (sertraline): Zoloft has been a life saver for me. I honestly don't know how I would've gotten through the past year without it. I had anxiety and depression, but after I started taking Zoloft, I was finally starting to feel myself again and my headaches have gone away. If you have moderate to severe anxiety and depression, I would highly recommend this. It truly saved me.

143 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 25, 2014 3:19 AM

Review by Holly652:

Looking back I realized I'd been suffering depression plus social anxiety for the best part of 3 years. This spiralled especially over the last year in severe anxiety, being unable to speak to people, crying obsessively and having no motivation or energy to even get dressed. It became choreful and frightening to live a normal day out, even talk to my family and for most part I would use alcohol and sleep to escape. I had no concentration, was emotionless and numb. I was very skeptic however accepted 50mg as a starting dose, 2 weeks later going up to 100mg. It was gradual, although I'm now in a position to say when I can finally feel relieved and extremely hopeful about the future! I enjoy going to work and can laugh again! Miracle medicine.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 16, 2014 3:36 PM

Review by Serenamine (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft (sertraline): I took Sertraline for Moderate Depression which it was exceptionally good at diminishing. I have been taking it for just under 6 weeks for moderate depression, social anxiety and generalised anxiety. It worked for depression the best, by far; however, not half as good for the anxiety, perhaps because it requires a higher dose and longer intake. Definitely consider Sertraline for depression, its side effects were minimal (if any because it was so unnoticeable).

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 6, 2014 6:25 PM

Review by Felinelover13 (taken for less than 1 month):

Zoloft (sertraline): I have been on sertraline for 4 weeks and a day, my dr started me on 50mg, then after 3 weeks and 3 days she upped my dosage to 100mg, I have felt the side effects so I know this medication is doing something, however, I don't feel any better for taking it, I thought by now it would kick in..

December 6, 2014 5:36 PM

Review by Dan1234321:

This medication works great for depression, even at lower doses (50mg). It generally makes you happier, but only after a few weeks. In the first week it may make you more depressed (and anxious). It started working in the third week for (moderate) depression.

December 4, 2014 10:56 AM

Review by JerseyLeighx (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Zoloft (sertraline): I always read these but never put on my own thoughts. I'm a 27 year old female with 2 young beautiful girls, and a very loving husband. It all sounds so perfect but my mood is far from that. I've been suffering silently with depression for years but only spoke to my doctor 6 months ago. 50mg made me worse, my mood was lower than before, shakes, heart palpitations etc but after a week, all side effects stopped but my mood was still lower than ever. Upped too 100mg, felt slightly better. Upped again to 150mg still felt better but then all of a sudden my depression got so much worse than it has ever been. Now on 200mg, still feel so low & down & zombified. Can't make decisions, just numb.

November 30, 2014 4:45 AM

Review by Toxica (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Zoloft (sertraline): I started to develop depression around puberty, over the years it became more and more intense. Some days I would cry and have to leave school, around two years ago my Doctor put me on 50mg of Zoloft. The first few weeks were a wreck, I had terrible nausea, was tired all the time, could barely eat, and some days I would experience a zombie feeling. After the Zoloft started to kick in the side effects subsided. I went through bouts of not taking it and then I would feel bad and start taking it again, every time I went back on the pill the stomach pains increased to were I would eat once every other day. Since then I have been put on a new medication that I hope starts kicking in. All in all Zoloft was amazing, if you stick to it.

November 20, 2014 11:28 AM

Review by Nurse Nan (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Zoloft (sertraline): I am 39 years old, was a new nurse and struggling with major depression. I had not been to a Dr in years and broke down crying at the first visit. Started 50 mg a day. Felt a little funny first couple days but now feel much better! Everyone noticed a change for the better and even got a promotion at work! Feel so much better and have not had any side effects!

132 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 16, 2014 12:06 PM

Review by pepper6 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Zoloft (sertraline): I'm on 200 mg of Zoloft and it has changed my life!

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 3, 2014 10:46 AM

Review by HanGal:

On my 14th day of sertraline and I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. Admittedly the first week was pretty terrible, it worsened my depression and anxiety quite alot but now that's eased, I feel wonderful! I was in such a state before, nothing made sense - I literally couldn't enjoy anything. I finally feel like I'm going to get my life back, and can once again enjoy the sun on my face.

October 28, 2014 8:30 AM

Review by Sig (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Zoloft (sertraline): Generic Sertraline gave me some relief but it made me jittery and gave me headaches. After reading testimonials I insisted on the name brand Zoloft. so glad I did. It's like a completely different medicine. More relaxed and not full of negative thinking. I still get overly anxious if something stressful happens but it doesn't last long. Side effects are more tolerable, though it does make me tired.

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 27, 2014 2:11 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Zoloft (sertraline): I've been on sertraline for almost a year now. On the 25mg I didn't notice any kind of difference. I was suffering from major depression, self-harm, and suicidal thoughts. My dr bumped me up to a 50mg dose & have stayed here for about 8 months now. My girlfriend calls it my "happy pills" because when I forget to take a dose or two, everyone can tell.

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 23, 2014 4:58 PM

Review by Skyfall007:

Zoloft (sertraline): Zoloft has helped me a lot. I suffered from mild depression and mild anxiety for years. I'm a 38 yr old male. I requested Zoloft from the Dr. And I'm on the 50mg dose. It started working right away. I felt effects the first night. I was sick the next day but that was the only time. I had some euphoria during the first couple of weeks. Next to impossible to orgasim. I have zero anxiety it's amazing. Not as depressed but didn't fully take it away but really helped. It was the right choice for me. Highly recommended. I would make the same choice.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 17, 2014 2:44 PM

Review by scotty888 (taken for less than 1 month):

Zoloft (sertraline): I've been reading a lot of reviews on this site, let me tell those that are new to this or thinking of going on sertraline. I have horrible side effects with medication and got serotonin syndrome on citalopram. I was scared to death of going on sertraline. I'm on day 17 on 50mg and I honestly say I've not had one single side effect at all. Its starting to hit me and I feel amazing. 100 times better than having anxiety. Wow

156 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 16, 2014 8:12 AM

Review by JoseeD (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Zoloft (sertraline): It saved my life. It was the perfect medicine for me, except for chronic constipation. Went to the hospital for the constipation (I did not know it was caused by Zoloft at the time), and they found I had appendicitis, which ruptured while I was waiting at the hospital, and also that I had kidney cancer, so got 2 surgeries, 1 for the ruptured appendicitis and 1 to take away my left kidney. Had it not been for the Zoloft, I would be dead. I of course had to change medicines and go the second choice prescribed by the psychiatrist. It works, but not as well as the Zoloft, unfortunately. Zoloft is excellent, and if it was not for chronic constipation, I'd be back on it. Good luck all.

September 19, 2014 10:39 AM

Review by JohnnyBoi453 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft (sertraline): I'm 19 and Zoloft has been a LIFESAVER for me! I've had very bad generalized anxiety, social anxiety, panic attacks, and mild depression. I recently had been on Xanax then Klonopin as needed, but I felt as if those types of medications wouldn't help me in the long run. I've been on 25 mg of Zoloft for a month and a half, and I feel WONDERFUL! The horrible, disabling anxiety I once had is almost nonexistent, and my depression melted away! My mood is stabilized, I have a lot of energy, focusing on school work is a synch, and I interact with others with confidence. Yes, I feel like a totally renewed, cleansed person with a constant sense of motivation! Zoloft saved my life! Little to no side effects either. Very mild antidepressant.

188 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 10, 2014 7:50 PM

Review by hopeful female 30s:

Sertraline has helped with my mood swings and unwanted thoughts. I take 50 mg and can instantly feel if I miss my dosage. I would like to ween off but have too much going on that I don't think I can handle alone. Reasons I want to stop is memory loss, difficulty focusing, even struggle with people's names and I gain 20 lbs. For now the results outweigh the side effects but I'm hopeful I can get to a better place soon so I can safely stop.

September 8, 2014 10:10 PM