User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Sertraline Review Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 136 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Depression

Zoloft (sertraline): "I've suffered with anxiety for years but finally came to a head a few years ago. Had some personal family issues that became overwhelming. I was always mad, sad, frustrated, you name it and that was me. My brain could not stop thinking about my problems. It was very tiring. I finally went to the doctor and he prescribed Zolft 25 mg. For the first few days I felt like brain waves going on in my head but no big deal. Within 2 weeks I started feeling happy! A few months later the doctor put me up to 50 mg. I felt the brain waves again for about 48 hours and then stopped. I've been on Zolft for about one year. It was the best thing I could have done for myself. Oh I can still get mad or sad but not as severe or for as long."

L.R. (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 1, 2015

"sertraline is the best thing I ever been on. it helped me get through the car wreck mom and I had been in and it helped me get through my rape. Sadly I even tried to kill myself. Now I've been on sertraline for 10 years or more I am better than ever and I am more happier. "

s brabson August 30, 2015

"What can I say? This works. I had constant anxiety mixed with bouts of depression after a lot of trauma, constant palpitations and massive digestive problems from stress that had built up over years. The palpitations are now gone (after 15 years!) & I've reduced my stomach meds by 75% - all this in two months. I'm able to rationalise my thoughts. People keep commenting on how 'laid back' and 'reasonable' I am. I feel like me for the first time in years. I'm on a low dose (combining with therapy - the idea for me is to take the edge off of the emotional pain, not numb it completely so I can work through it). Anyway, my point is that even on a low dose, it's effective. Side effects were annoying so that is why it gets 9/10 :)"

JericaBenton (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 26, 2015

"I've been sort of depressed or slightly anxious always. Started 50 mg sertraline daily 6 years ago. Great from the start, the only negative effects I ever experienced were from not taking it sometimes. It leveled out a few years ago and it probably needs to be upped by 25 mg daily. It has worked many wonders for me but I need to really chill out a little bit more, maybe this will do it."

g.d.g. (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 23, 2015

"I am female, 27, UK based. I got this drug on prescription and it costs me £8.75 per month. I have suffered with depression from being around 15 years old and have always been on Citalopram. After a while it stopped working so I weaned off it and stopped taking medication altogether. Big Mistake, depression came back after about 2 months. Went to docs and was prescribed Sertraline, within two weeks it has worked wonders. I am not completely consumed by my depression, I am a lot less paraniod, negative and irritable. Its worked wonders already! I had a night of anxiety but it passed quite quickly. I'm on 50mg and take it in the mornings. It helps me stay awake all day too! Highly recommended."

Kirsty.Louise August 14, 2015

"Hi all. As a summary, please continue using your meds and keep in touch with your doctor. I don't know your personal case but it helped me and I feel better than before I had symptoms. The first 4 months were awful feeling weak, victim. Thanks to my wife's support I continued. 5-7 months things seemed to bother me less and less. I started focusing on solutions rather than problems. 8-10 months(now) I feel powerful and can stand against the issues and people that bothers me. Keep in mind again, everybody is different and this med may not be your cure. It helped me and I helped myself for getting better. I gave 8 out of 10 because of initial side effects. For me it turned out that it is worth."

New me (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 7, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "My Healthcare Provider switched my 20mg daily dose of Lexapro to Zoloft. I was to completely stop Lexapro and begin Zoloft with a dose of 200 mg daily. That was 6 months ago. I am not having a good experience with Zoloft. My dosage was adjusted down over a period of 3 weeks to 50 mg. My mind was constantly whirling with anxiety, my mood was total chaos, swinging from depressed to mad. My alcohol consumption was increased both by quantity and frequency. My appetite increased in the frequency of hunger and the amount of food I consume, but I never seem to hit the full feeling. I am seesawing between 100 to 200 mg daily at this time, trying to totally stop Zoloft. Main reasons; weight gain (30lbs in 4 months ) & increased alcohol craving"

Spirits August 5, 2015

"Well, I have been depressed the most of my life. Not like I couldn't function, but just depressed like a normal state of mind. In 2011 I was on Mirtzapine and in this year, my world changed. I started m own business and I builded my own cooperation. Stress got me. I couldn't sleep without Zopiclone or Zolpidem to aid me. Stress leaded to anxiety and depression. My doctor prescribed several benzodiazepines and allmost got addicted to these. One day he said: "This is medicine for anxiety (Sertraline). Take these. It'll help you. The first two weeks (today) was unbearable with headache, rapid heart beats, strange thoughts, feeeling nausee, cold/warm-experinces, and I almost gave up. So glad I didn't, I am balanced, my thoughts are clear."

Nick_Denmark July 28, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "Many years in pain ....Zoloft saved me . Side Effects -Minor Relief From Depression - Tremendous Been on it for over 15 years . Started at 50mg per day , now 150 per day . Thankyou Pfizer ...for giving me my life back ."

RP Dee July 19, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder, severe depression and OCD when I was around 18 years old. I couldn't do anything and shut down. I went to a mental hospital to take classes on how to cope and I began trying different types of SSRI's. I tried two others and I felt horrible on them both then I tried Zoloft. My mom made me stick with it even though I was skeptical. I started with 25, 50, then to 75 ml. Nothing helped. As soon as I went up to 100 ml is when I felt my life coming back. I could feel emotions of happiness, and felt like life had finally had a meaning to it. I was able to be okay again and felt like this medicine saved my life. The thing that is hardest is all the people judging saying "you're on so many Meds""

Trusso18 July 18, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "I think zoloft for me is great. The only downfall i have with it was headaches. They started right when I began taking zoloft daily. They were intense and hurt like hell. Lasted about 2 weeks. Then bam they were gone. I took it at night before bed. I thought they made me tired. Since I've been on it , I've lost about 20lbs. I don't have the munchies at all & honestly I have to tell myself to eat because it curbs my appetite. I don't feel bloated like I did on Lexapro that's why I switched. Zoloft really works for me and I'm on a low dose. Headaches suck the first few weeks but what a difference from lexapro. Everyone's different."

Jenn w (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 16, 2015

"I have been on Sertraline for the last 4 months..started on 50 mg then 100 mg and now 150 mg..I was very wary of taking anti depressants as I had tried citralopram several years earlier and as soon as sexual side effects kicked in I gave up..figured I'd rather be miserable but still able to perform..Most recently I became more and more down, could barely face work, felt completely bleak and uncomfortable in most social situations..Since starting with Sertraline it has been a very up and down journey to say the least..at first quite a lot of side effects..bad stomach (2 days) trouble sleeping (would wake early and be unable to go back to sleep) some weight gain and a loss of sex drive..I got to the point where I thought "your having all the"

JimJam43 July 15, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "I'm ready to feel better, although I'm still skeptical. I have read good reviews so I hope that same outcome for me."

Lady D (taken for less than 1 month) July 9, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "This was the first drug I was tried on for my depression BEFORE my OCD started (I'm 14). I have PTSD, so along comes depression, anxiety, etc. When the psyciatrist prescribed me this, he had only seen me for 45 minutes and that was his decision. The first time taking it, I wasn't feeling right. Week 1 was unbearable. I felt like I had the stomach and head flu combined. I also started having more suicidal thoughts so I called my doctor and they stopped me. Not an effective drug for me unfortunately, that is why I give Zoloft a 1."

BringOnTheRain (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2015

"Was put on this last year after a bad break up which caused my low level functioning depression to turn into a near breakdown. First couple of weeks were so rough, very anxious and weepy, agitated and impossible to relax. After that I can honestly say it resulted in the best year of my life. I was relaxed and happy, and realised I'd been anxious for years which was probably causing the depression. I even went to a festival alone and had an amazing time, which would have been impossible before. I came travelling to australia in February and came off the meds without speaking to my doctor, because I thought I was 'better'. I didn't realise how much they were doing for me, and in the last five months I have got worse. Started again today."

Lenny87 July 2, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "I developed depression a few months ago and felt that I had truly lost my mind. I was beyond sad, crying constantly, terrifying intrusive thoughts, lost all interest in hobbies, friends, I thought that was it for me. I didn't feel that I would ever be my normal self ever again. Zoloft has completely eliminated my depression. The first week was almost unbearable but I cannot stress how much better I began to feel after about 2weeks. It is a miracle drug, I truly cannot express how well it has worked for me."

Peachpeach June 24, 2015

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "I've always experienced social anxiety growing up. I thought this was normal but it became clear to me during college that I shouldn't be feeling so shy all the time. I was afraid to be myself. I was constantly going back and forth between anxiety and depression for years. I tried meditation, yoga, running, a different diet... But nothing seemed to be working good enough! Enough was enough! I researched zoloft for a few weeks and finally decided to try it out. WOAH! Other than the initial side effects such as decreased appetite and restlessness, this medication changed my life!!! I feel very comfortable talking to people in social settings.. I could finally be myself! The biggest thing is being patient--- it works!!!!! Good luck everyone!"

Kort (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 23, 2015

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"19 yr old male going on 20. Had been suffering from extreme anxiety, depression, paranoia, intrusive thoughts for the best part of a year. Day to day life was a living hell and I rapidly began to lose any motivation and hope I had left. Started on 50mg, probably made things worse for first 4 weeks, upped to 100mg, wouldn't class it as life changing, anxiety and thoughts are still there, but a lot less intense. Much chirpier and can finally engage in day to day life with a lot more ease and comfort without feeling completely messed up and hopeless. Would recommend, just hang on in there. Things do get better."

King Monkey June 19, 2015

"I have been suffering from depression after losing the love of my life.. The situation was unreal I could not understand my thoughts , I failed Uni , and couldn't even concentrate in any activities . I had to seek for help to continue to have a life , my Dr. Prescribed Zoloft same day I was the old me , I could not believe I was scared to admit I was not weak but I was sick , best decision I ever made , I got my life back , using for 3 weeks only .do yourself a favour ask your Doctors about it . Good Luck"

Nucha34 (taken for less than 1 month) June 18, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "The Dr. prescribed this med after I developed a tolerance to Prozac after 15 wonderful years. I started at 25 mg. They always say to give it a few weeks to see if it is working. After 2 months he increased the dosage to 50 mg. which still did not work. Then after an increase to 100 mg. for a few months, he finally believed it was not working for me. He started me on Effexor, which took another 6 months of gradually increasing dosage to actually kick in. Please do not give up. After over a year of living a nightmare and feeling suicidal every single day, I'm now back to normal, almost every day."

coyotewoman June 16, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "Love this medication. I'm a 28 yo mother of two and have suffered from anxiety on and off for the past 9 years and have tried different meds through out the years and the only one that has ever worked for me was the generic Zoloft! Like... wow! This medication does its job so well that i feel "normal" not high or zombified! Side effects for me has been loss of appetite, difficulty reaching orgasm, clenched jaw, hot flashes, and rapid heart rate but was told these would subsidize. But i still give this medication a rating of 9 because the benefits for me outweigh the side effects far too well. Been taking it for a couple weeks and if it's working this great now i can't wait to see in a couple more weeks."

kris25 June 15, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "Taking his medication has been one of the best decisions I've made in my life thus far. If you are suffering from depression & anxiety then just give it a go because well life is just too dam short!"

Aydin (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 9, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was crippled with anxiety, depression, and nagging intrusive thoughts. Zoloft has allowed me to live again. Please don't allow the stigma and misinformation out there about antidepressants prevent you from getting help and finding relief. Once your body adjusts to Zoloft (this can take upwards of 2-4 weeks), you will find relief and peace. I used a pill cutter to cut the prescribed dose (25 mg) in half and took the half dose for two weeks. Then I increased it to the prescribed dose. This is much easier on the body. Please consider doing this so you're not overcome and discouraged by some of the initial side effects. Good luck friends."

SilvaMine May 26, 2015

117 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "Been taking 25mg zoloft for 2 weeks. Due to non stop over thinking, paranoia and constant checking up on suspected cheating partner. This drug has enabled me to think clearly again and be able to end an unhappy relationship that I could not end before. I don't react or panic at the thought of being on my own anymore. Its great to feel balanced and even keeled with my thoughts. No real side effects, although I am more motivated at home and don't seem to have a huge appetite so lost some weight. I like this drug, its given me some sanity again however I am worried about the symptoms returning if I stop taking it."

jillyangus May 23, 2015

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started on 50mg. I felt better in 2-3 weeks. I was so happy to not be crying. I get dizziness and have the yawning effect. At first it seemed like I would yawn every 2 minutes for days. The only thing that upset me about it was that I gained weight. I'm already a bit on the heavy side, but I had been maintaining my weight for years. All of a sudden I gained about 25 lbs in 6 months. When I talked to my Dr, he said the dosage wasn't high enough, that I was emotionally eating. It didn't make sense to me, since I had been able to maintain my weight even during my depression. Anyway, he upped it to 100mg. Now, I just feel lazy. I don't care about getting things done. I have to really make an effort to do anything. I'm going back to 50mg."

rem1105 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 22, 2015