User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Sertraline Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 136 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Depression

"I was on this firstly for social anxiety disorder , after 1 month I felt pleased, happy and had interest in doing any thing then I concluded that I had mild depression but it has done nothing for my SAD, but it helped by giving me the desire to socialize .. my ratings : 10 for depression and 6 for SAD"

Hish-Ovech (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 7, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "My depression began slowly at first, then all at once I couldn't bear myself anymore. I am a sophomore in college (female). In the evenings and going on into the night, my mood dropped so fast and I would get so sad over nothing. After talking to a counsellor, and making the tough choice to medicate, she put me on a starting dose of 50 MG Zoloft. After taking the first pill, I was doing some research and had myself so freaked out that night that the side effects would be awful. I was so worried I would have to skip work or class. I have been on the medication a few weeks now and I had zero problems! I could not be more impressed. My moods are already stabilizing and I feel so much better already! Good luck to anyone starting!!"

collegekid (taken for less than 1 month) February 2, 2016

"Excellent meds for depression ! Saved my life , my relationship, my job , my friends and family. Side effect for me ... Have to take it on an empty stomache or major heartburn . Also another side effect is it's difficult to ejaculate .."

Stealth2016 January 29, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was diagnosed with depression about 6 months ago and started with a very low dose of prozac. About 3 months later I was institutionalized and switched to Zoloft. Most of the people there for depression were on it and it worked for them. However, it does not work for me at all. I've been on 100 mg for about 2 months and I feel jittery when I sit for too long or when I'm trying to sleep, I get really grouchy and rude (which is unusual for me) , and things that only bothered me before make me really depressed."

Kendalld January 29, 2016

"I was having suicidal thoughts really bad before taking sertraline. I also used to run off from my friend at Macy's while shopping with her and one minute I would be standing next to her and next minute I was gone and I kept running off from my mom and my friend Tina and I confessed to my mom that I have a problem and that I need to do something about it and my mom took me to the doctor and I told my doctor I think I am depressed and he put me on sertraline 25 mg once a day and I found out I was depressed and had severe major depression. Things are a lot better now since I've been on sertraline for a long time."

SANDY BRABSON (taken for 10 years or more) January 24, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "This Zoloft really help me in my time of struggle when I was diagnosed with cancer.Zoloft became my best friend."

Semone (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 24, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was put on Zoloft a few years ago when I became very depressed (I also have anxiety and have had it pretty much my whole life which made it worse) and I've been on it ever since. I feel much better now about myself and my perspectives on things however I don't know if it was from the drug, time or therapy especially because I was finally feeling more in control of myself and my thoughts last year. So if it was Zoloft then it took a while for it to kick in for me I guess ? My doctor did say that in some patients it does nothing and in others it does so who knows ! However whether It's working for me or not I feel good right now and it's not having any long term side affects on me so I can stay on as long as I want "

Graceelizabeeth (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 23, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "This medication has given me my life back. For months I walked around in a haze, had trouble focusing, getting out (and staying out) of bed, and would sleep for 18 hours. My social life suffered, my grades suffered, I would cry all the time, had trouble communicating, or wanting to be literally anywhere but in bed. I started on 50mg for a little over a month and while things slightly improved, it wasn't enough. I should also mention the side effects in the first week were terrible - brain fog, sleepiness, just general haziness... terrible. Overall, I was still depressed just... less. My doctor and I agreed to increase the dose to 75mg and this is an amazing medication. I can get out of bed, I can cook/shower/do laundry again, and I have done more school work in the past two weeks than I have for months. I can socialize and talk again, I don%u2019t cry as easily, I wake up and don%u2019t dread the day ahead. I feel human again, this is amazing. Only side effect I%u2019ve noticed is I%u2019ll occasionally have a dry mouth but it%u2019s very minor. Highly recommend!"

uni student (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 22, 2016

"I've titrated to 150mg and this medication has brought me back from the brink of disaster, along with positive thinking sertraline has allowed me to make certain decisions and make certain lifestyle changes to help my depression and anxiety ease to the point of near 'normalcy'"

JDW85 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 21, 2016

"Sertraline has actually filled in the gaps where Citalopram failed. However, bowel movements have become a tentative almost ambivalent arrangement but so far that is the worst of the side effects for me personally. Although I do have dark days, the dogs don't bark quite so loudly or for so long. Sertraline has given me the ability to stop thinking about the things I am troubled by and focus on what I want to do and what I want to be with perspicacity and belief in myself and to accept the fact that it's okay to have such medication to treat depression in exactly the same way that it is okay to have HRT for menopause or insulin to treat diabetes. Stick with it."

Jayhab (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 20, 2016

"I have been on Venlafaxine up to 225 mg a day!-for almost 15 years..In July 2015 I began feeling very low and having great episodes of anxiety-I had a panic attack for the very first time in my life and bagan to realise the medication was no longer effective- I was referred to a Specialist depression drug consultant-I described my lack of energy and low mood -He thought I would benefit from introducing 50mg alongside the 150mg of Venlafaxine-So this is what I did- and felt wonderful-Until My GP said I Should taper the Venlafaxine off-I am now taking only the Sertraline 50mg-I am like a zombie- all I want to do is sleep-I crashed my car (15 years no claims) and have zero motivation-I will give it until the end of January and re consult the GP"

Beadnell35 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 19, 2016

"Before I was dead and now I feel alive. It has been a miracle for me. I stand in public places and think I am here and not afraid. I feel like a part of society again. The first 2 weeks were bad. Headaches feeling sick etc. However after 4 weeks it started to get better. Stick with it. It has been a life saver for me."

happy Emma (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 11, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "My doctor started me on Zoloft for longstanding low-level depression that was increasing due to menopause, and for possible migraine prevention. It did nothing for the migraines, but it has definitely improved my mood. I started on a 50 mg dose and the doctor had me increase it to 100 mg after a few weeks. Still no migraine relief, but I the holidays didn't depress me as they always have since my father passed away. I did notice trouble sleeping, but taking it in the morning instead of at night helps with that. Also a slight weight gain. I might try going back to 50 mg if the doctor okays it. It seemed to be enough, and I don't want to over-medicate."

WillametteBearcat (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 5, 2016

"I took 50mg for anxiety yesterday, about an hour later started feeling really weird, spaced out and nervy. Spent all night tossing and turning, sweating and unable to sleep. Persevered this morning with the next dose as didn't want to give up at the first hurdle, but today I've felt even worse: depressed, anxious, sweating, pounding heart and extremely nauseous, I've completely lost my appetite and can't even face water. Been told could be 4-6 weeks of this before meds kick in. No thanks, I'm going to stop them and try St John's Wort."

Mojo61 January 5, 2016

"Hi, I'd strongly advise not to take these tablets if your prone to weight gain. I've been on them 2 months now and gained a stone in weight. I eat healthy and work out 4 times a week . This has resulted in my anxiety and depression becoming a lot worse ."

Adele91 (taken for less than 1 month) January 4, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "I've never taken antidepressants before (I'm 19). Back in November I started Zoloft at 25 mg for one week. I felt good, my energy was high. But after about 5 of those days, I got bad headaches. Then I started my 50 mg dose. I was even more depressed. I stayed in bed all day. I had panic episodes more frequently. I barely ate, I lost close to 10 pounds which really scared me. I couldn't take care of myself. I thought I was losing myself. Then I was told to go back to 25 mg. I felt better, less of a lump, but I was still having depressed feelings. I got off zoloft back in December. Consult your doctor before completely cutting off! I hope my Dr. will prescribe me something else..."

RhiRipley (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 2, 2016

"I began taking 25mg for 2 weeks and then went to 50mg, for depression. It's been about 6 weeks. So far, I have had no side effects, oddly enough. Maybe some slight dry mouth? I do feel that it is helping, in that I am focusing less on the sad feelings. I still have them, and there are still things in my life I need to change, but I'm no longer dwelling on that as much. For me, it works well."

Justme25 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 2, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "On Zolft 25 mg / day and my anxiety attacks have stopped. I haven't woken up depressed (used to wake up depressed and stay in bed) or had suicidal thoughts (had suicidal thoughts almost daily.) It's like this medicine has filled in the blanks for me. I don't feel high or euphoric or excited or anything other than what I think normal must feel like. It's quite a change from what I was used to, nonstop anxiety, depression and I was always thinking about suicide but all that has stopped and is a thing of the past. I can't even believe I was feeling like that. I now know that something was wrong with my brain and this medicine has fixed it for me. I am so happy to wake up not feeling sad."

Chocolatechipcookiesandmilk! (taken for less than 1 month) December 31, 2015

"mixed review. at first I noticed a change in my thinking- was able to enjoy moments more- less clouded by suicidal/depressive thoughts. However after my therapist suggests we up the does to 100mg a day, things went back to usual after about 3 weeks - same fatigued, depressed state of mind - no motivation or drive to live - disassociation issues...etc. This does not mean it may not work for others - I have a history of my body becoming 'accustomed' to most prescribed drugs, thus my body no longer responds to them after long term consumption (even if meds are made to treat chronic problems). So if you're lucky enough to have a body that is consistent with drugs, I do recommend sertraline. It definitely made a change for me even for only 3 weeks"

azeris (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 31, 2015

"I've been on approximately 16 different anti-depressants, of different classes over the past 18 years, & Sertraline has by far been the most helpful drug for me. The side effects were pretty severe to start with, insomnia, nausea, diarrhea, dizziness, & feeling extremely 'spaced out' but I persevered with the drug as I know all too well they can take time to work effectively & after 4 weeks they settled down. Sertraline has given me my life back, after 6 - 8 weeks I began to feel my depression lifting significantly, I felt a 50% improvement, which is huge to me & 14 weeks in I am starting to function again."

Minnie000 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 22, 2015

"I have my life back. I became incapable of normal day to day life through a combination of major depression and anxiety. I almost lost my relationship, my future - my life. I was first put on fluoxotine with another medication and CBT by a useless dr. I opened my mind to try again which was brave after my first fail, and look at me now giving myself a pat on the back! I am so excited to start the rest of my life with this new and hopeful outlook!! I am on 50mg and the side effect for the first 2 weeks were well worth pushing through. Goodluck and stay openminded everyone! It does get better and there is a way out of the dark! %u263A"

Birdyyy December 21, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "I've been suffering with depression coupled with anxiety for over 10 years. Its been hell ruining every aspect of my life (loss of relationships, my business etc.) After seeing so many psychiatrists I had lost hope and was getting very close to ending my life so tried to get help one more time. For the first time I met a young Doctor who listened. He prescribed me Zoloft 50mg. The change = I left my house within 2 weeks (major agoraphobia for 8 months) started talking to people, going out again with friends, preparing to launch my business again and I feel happy. Not manic, HAPPY and measured. I'm praying that I stay this way. There is hope out there. Don't give up guys. :)"

George1972 December 18, 2015

"I have been having depression and anxiety issues since 18 I'm 28 right now. I have been on and off the drug. This drug is not perfect and will never cure depression or anxiety or other mental issues , it just eliminate it temporary, that's the time when we should work with therapy to find the real problem. I have been taking 50 mg. amazingly restored my interest in life, activities , interest in sex, no more depressing thoughts. Simply it gave me a 360 degrees to my mind. The beginning is always awful lots of change in thinking and behaviour, no sex , sleepy, drowsy, I got sensitive face skin too. This drug is a godsend for me. After a month I started to, feel more awake, better sleep, great focus & better sex. Always wait a month to stop."

kubanored December 18, 2015

"I just wish I had this done sooner. I could have saved my relationship. It's only been 5 days on the medication and there's already a dramatic difference in my thinking. I'm relaxed, I haven't been able to put an outfit together in almost a year. I didn't know I had a generalized anxiety disorder. I had somebody I truly care about and they're gone. Mental illness is very real. And this stuff is magical."

Jackson Pollack (taken for less than 1 month) December 17, 2015

"Horrible experience. I was prescribed a low dose of 25mg to start off with for depression but I noticed an immediate negative response from my body in that my mood swings elevated and I was constantly sobbing every night and had constant suicidal thoughts. Other medications I was taking at the time was depo-provera for birth control for about four years prior to taking sertraline for the first time."

S. M. (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 14, 2015