User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Sertraline review summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Depression

Review by Blue rose (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline): On 50mg for 4 weeks then increased to 100mg for depression, panic attacks and obsessional thinking. I had few side effects, a slight hand tremor, yawning and difficulty sleeping. The only thing that lingered was the insomnia, but now that has settled down and I sleep okay. I feel so much better, panic attacks gone, obsessive compulsive disorder gone and my mood is lifting daily. I am enjoying life again and this medicine has been so right for me.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 18, 2014 2:05 PM
Review by Milan**: User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline): After years of trying different medications sertraline has finally been the most useful and compatible one for me. If only I had found this years ago as it has lifted my depression, improved my social skills and eased my obsessive compulsive disorder symptoms (would trigger after anxiety).

April 18, 2014 6:31 AM
Review by perezmama (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline): I am 24 years old and have a 14 week old son. I have fought with depression most of my life due to childhood and what not. After having my son everything came crashing down. I was on the brink of a divorce and suicidal. So I ask my Dr, he put me on 50mg of Zoloft and I'm now on day 4. Side effects for me are headache, tired, dizzy nausea. But I'm sticking to it hoping those will go away. My mood is so much better.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 9, 2014 3:11 PM
Review by frustrated at 42 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

sertraline: I am a 42 year old man who has been on Sertraline 100mg daily for about 4 years. I was diagnosed with depression and put on medication and saw a psycologist who was no help at all. The medication cured my constant state of anger and irritation and I could actually spend time with my wife and 3 children without flying into a rage! People wonder why I am always laughing and generally happy as well as being extremely laid back about situations. The big down side I have found with this medication is the lack of libido. The brain still wants it but the man stick does not respond too often. It can take an age to ejaculate and keeping an erection can also be a problem. I have gained some weight and I sweat profusely.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 9, 2014 2:08 AM
Review by Boy Wonder: User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline): I took for 8 weeks, 53 year old male. I moved to a new town for job. It is pretty depressing when you don't know anyone. Zoloft 50 mg. First night NO sleep. Started taking at night with Ambien. I sleep for about 5 hours then I'm up at 3 am. Major side effects: inability to orgasm, clenched teeth, restless legs, trembling, loss of appetite, diarhea and sweating. First week was nausea, trembling but emotions were better. After 8 weeks, I think the side effects aren't worth the benefit. Quit cold turkey 4 days now. No major problems. Teeth clench still but, not as bad.

April 7, 2014 3:40 PM
Review by demis (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

sertraline: I promised myself to come back on this site and gave my 10 points to sertraline. Back in 2010 I had my first episode of depression topped up with severe anxiety and all the typical symptoms. I was suicidal, foggy, so confused hopeless and the list goes on and on. Sertraline came to rescue and 4 months later I managed to claim my life back from this horrific and life threatening illness. In January 2014 I was diagnosed with a chronic illness and paranoia depression and anxiety came back in vengeance due to the diagnosis. Sertraline came again to rescue and exactly 3 months later I am back to normal again. The first 4 weeks are rocky with the side effects I was feeling more suicidal and I had diarrhea but then everything was eliminated.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 28, 2014 12:28 PM
Review by WanderingMind7: User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline): Zoloft. You made me REALIZE, I've been locked out of HEAVEN for too long (I've been dancing and cleaning on this Bruno Mars song all morning). That's how I feel on my medication! I'm on day 4 of 50 mg and I'm supposed to increase it to 100mg after 10 days. I have been having side effects since the first day such as shaking, abdominal pain, insomnia but nothing too major compared too what the "Beast" (yes! I call my anxiety the beast hehe) had me endure before. So I really don't mind those side effects because I know what's ahead of me is going to be spectacular. I've never had so much faith in my life before, at least not that I remember.

March 20, 2014 11:56 AM
Review by Slogg: User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline): After a month of bouncing between morning and night dosing of 1 50mg pill, I settled on morning. It was making me super sleepy but that went away mostly. Didn't gain but maybe 5lbs if that (I'm a gym rat somewhat). Felt really stoned the first week or so and sleeping was strange, maybe a little erectile dysfunction at first, but all of that went away too. A month in and the side effects are minimal. The panic is under control, but the depression is completely gone. THANKS A MILLION ZOLOFT.

March 17, 2014 10:44 AM
Review by Red button: User Rating:

sertraline: OK, so have only been on 50mg sertraline for a week. They did give me an instant calmness which I wasn't expecting. However, the side effects are a little too much for me. Upset stomach, blurry vision, concentration problems, but the insomnia is the thing that's getting to me the most. 3 days of virtually no sleep is making me feel terrible. I'm getting off these as the cons outweigh the pros for me, but completely understand why others would stick with them. All medicuness work differently on people, sertraline just won't be for me.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 3, 2014 2:55 PM
Review by anonymous from ca (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline): I've dealt with many periods of depression in my life, but I hit an all-time low a year and a half ago culminating in a suicide attempt. This medication helped me get back on my feet. I started with a low dose (25mg/day-I'm small and female) and have slowly increased to the normal dosage my doctor prescribes for adults (50mg/day). I went off of it for two months after five months of taking it and fell back into depression. Went back on it and have been fine since. I don't think I will stop again for a while. Only problems are occasional insomnia and inability to orgasm anymore.

March 3, 2014 2:50 AM
Review by Out of control (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline): I have been unemployed now for three years and things have gone from bad to worse. I found myself losing control of my temper and crying for no reason or if someone said something that negative. I couldn't sleep and when I did it was for two hours at a time. Sometimes I would stay up just crying. To add to my problems my back pain were getting worse. Doctor diagnose me with depression and gave me Zoloft. I started at 25mg for four days and then up to 50mg. It has been only a week, but I am not crying unexpectedly and feel calmer than I have in quite a while and have actually slept 5 hours straight. I had no side effects.

March 1, 2014 3:06 PM
Review by Mellisa1966: User Rating:

sertraline: My doctor prescribed 50mg Setraline to help me with depression, suicidal thoughts, and social anxiety. I have just been taking it a week, but I am very pleased so far. I am able to leave my apartment, go shopping in horrendous crowds and traffic, and deal with stress at work without breaking down and becoming fixated. Fleeting thoughts of worthlessness, hopelessness, and suicide are easily pushed away. I do deal with nausea, diarrhea, sleeplessness, and fatigue, but I make sure I eat before I take my pill and I force myself to eat each time the nausea comes on. I may gain weight, but I do not think so because I am never hungry now. I am hoping that the calmness remains as I continue taking Sertraline.

February 19, 2014 2:52 PM
Review by Sky Grayson: User Rating:

sertraline: I was taking Lexapro 10mg then upped to 20mg for the past 5 years. In the beginning it was great, I felt great, no anxiety or depression. But for the past two years my everyday life started to become a struggle. I became upset easily, I cried all the time, it was horrible. So my Dr and I decided that maybe the Lexapro had pooped out and to try a different antidepressant. So I began sertraline 50mgs. I've had no side effects except for some heartburn right after taking. So I began Prilosec to counteract this. I feel good. No anxiety and I can feel my depression lifting. I sleep fine no problems there. But I do take 25mgs of Vistaril at night so I'm sure that helps.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 18, 2014 3:40 PM
Review by anonymous1997: User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline): I'm 16, and over the course of a few months I started becoming more and more depressed and anxious, after trying a few other medications along with none at all (only therapy), I started taking Zoloft as it has helped others in my family. The first 10 days (started at 25mg) were horrible, suicidal thoughts, no appetite, headaches and terrible anxiety but once I hit 2 weeks I felt so much better. I'm now 6 weeks in and on 75mg, I feel amazing, still get headaches but I'm not sure if it's related, I feel almost 100% myself, I'll give it a few more weeks and see if I need to maybe get to 100mg but honestly this medication saved my life.

February 2, 2014 10:46 PM
Review by Gypsy heart: User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline): I saw my doctor after the anxiety I'd been having the last year hit an all time high in the last six months. I would wake up wondering "Why? What am I even here for? what am I working for?" I suffered severe muscle tension in my shoulders and lower back, extreme irritability/mood swings & panic attacks..my heart would be POUNDING as if I'd run a 5k when really I was just lying in bed. It is day two of taking Zoloft...I'm singing (still terribly) to songs again. I feel I have gained the sense of "normal" that my life has always lacked. I am more clear-headed and find rational thinking easier. My depression and anxiety was destroying my relationships. I'm beginning to see this "light at the end of the tunnel" people speak of. 50mg a day.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 25, 2014 2:22 AM
Review by mae22 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

sertraline: Im 22 on Day 5 of 25mg Zoloft. tried Prozac before and it made me feel numb kind of zombie like. Zoloft is helping my mood, but I cant sleep at all, if I do manage to fall asleep I wake up an hour later. I clench my teeth and constantly need to move my legs at night. feel slightly confused at times. im hoping these side effects go away

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 21, 2014 12:19 AM
Review by sigmapi484 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

sertraline: I have progressed to 200mg a day. Now needed help and was given Wellbutrin. The combination seems to be working. But the side effects do exist. Cannot run out or stop taking it. Horrible feeling and dizziness. Also serial performance is affected.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 20, 2014 12:05 AM
Review by resji (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline): Diarrhea, uncontrollable muscle spasms, severe panic attacks, severe anxiety, severe restlessness, sweating, and bruising is all this medication did to me.

January 19, 2014 5:21 PM
Review by Anxiety, Depression (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline): I started taking Zoloft about a month ago, in the first week i had some diarrhea and experienced some insomnia, but it soon disappeared. Within three weeks my depression and anxiety subsided. This medication changed my life.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 18, 2014 1:39 AM
Review by Buckythecat (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline): I have to say that Zoloft saved my life. I have been on it for over 10 years but about a year and half ago I switched to another pill just to try it. WHY I don't know, should have never left Zoloft. I then started to take a muscle relaxer for a sore shoulder, BE VERY CAREFUL in taking other medications with any antidepressants. The dread, the worthlessness the crying all came back. Back on Zoloft for about a week and I can function once again. THANK YOU ZOLOFT.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 3, 2014 1:59 PM
Review by bassmstr22 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline): At first I was reluctant to take a pill even though I had been diagnosed with major depression. My family talked me into taking this medication. I am on my third week of taking Zoloft. The first week my doctor started me on 50mg. The first few days I felt awful but stuck with the medication. I had not felt much relief in my depression and anxiety on 50mg so my psych doc put me on 100mg after two weeks. I am on day 4 taking 100mg sertraline and have already started to notice a difference in my mood. I am less anxious and worry much less at work. I am also beginning to venture out of the house more than I used to. The only side effects I've had on sertraline are mild headache, diarrhea, and decrease in sexual performance.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 22, 2013 6:37 PM
Review by mickey780: User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline): Before I started taking Zoloft for depression and anxiety I was also suffering from insomnia. Was taking Ambien and Valium to help but the Ambien was not really helping my insomnia. Maybe get 3 hrs of sleep or 5hrs on a good night. Suffered from panic and anxiety attacks. Went to therapy and after some time Dr Recommended Zoloft. Was hesitant at first but could not live like this anymore so I started taking it about a year ago. Zoloft is the best thing I could have done. The first week or too I had side effects. But soon after depression lifted anxiety gone. I sleep great now.

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 11, 2013 3:42 PM
Review by lauz (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

sertraline: It does it's job. I've been on it for 5 years off and on because of pregnancies. I made decision to come off it and its been 1 month and I must admit my mood is low and the dizziness is horrible.

December 11, 2013 2:14 PM
Review by kc1234 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline): Currently on 8th day of 25mg Zoloft. Experiencing Insomina and increased anxiety.

December 4, 2013 3:55 PM
Review by Alice627 (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline): I went through a bad period of depression after a job loss, and I tried Lexapro first for treating it. The Lexapro made me extremely tired all the time so my doctor switched me to Zoloft. Zoloft ended up being much better for me. The main things it has helped me with are getting back to actively participating in life and being able to be more level-headed in stressful situations. The side effects I have had are reduced libido and slightly reduced appetite. Also, the first week or two after I started and after a dosage increase I had more significant side effects, like being more depressed and anxious than usual and being angry. But once I got through that I started feeling better than I had felt in a long time.

November 24, 2013 3:02 PM