User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Sertraline review summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Depression

Review by loknath:

Zoloft (sertraline): Zoloft is really good.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 5, 2014 8:38 AM

Review by Kieare (taken for less than 1 month):

Zoloft (sertraline): I have anxiety and depression. I was really against taking medication so I tried to resolve my issues myself. Needless to say, it never worked. I had been going through periods of depersonalization, feeling extremely down, suicidal and hopeless. I really thought life wasn't worth living anymore. It got so bad that I ended up in the hospital. I started taking 50 mg Zoloft and honestly it has been a life changer. I don't experience depersonalization anymore. My mood has been lifted so much that I don't feel down anymore, suicidal or hopeless. If you're afraid to take medicines please just give it a try. You won't regret it. Celexa didn't work for me, but I was determined to find a medicine that would. The key is to be patient.

June 28, 2014 8:57 AM

Review by Collegeguy123 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft (sertraline): 20 year old male. After failing 2 of my college classes in one semester, decided it was time to do something about my increasing depression. Doctor started me on Zoloft. Took about 4 weeks to start to notice the effects. Occasional shakes. Memory loss was frequent. Immediately noticed a decrease in sex drive and wasn't a problem until I started dating again and couldn't get it up the first time I got with my current girlfriend. Luckily she is understanding. My doctor is switching me to Wellbutrin. If it wasn't for the decreased sex drive I probably would have stayed on it.

June 20, 2014 1:03 AM

Review by sedonagreg (taken for less than 1 month):

Zoloft (sertraline): It took a couple weeks to notice any positive affects. It does help with depression. The big negative is the loss of the ability to achieve an orgasm.

June 8, 2014 9:10 PM

Review by Carriepotter:

I love sertraline, I can honestly say this medicine has given me my life back after crippling anxiety and depression. I feel back to my old self and able to get on with life

May 27, 2014 6:40 AM

Review by anutterblonde (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I was on the sertraline, for 3 years. After developing a strange phobia with severe anxiety, suicidal thoughts, and major depression, this medication probably saved my life. However, it only brought me back halfway. I still was depressed and still suffered from anxiety attacks, just not as much. After a couple of years, I believed it stopped working, even after increasing the dose, so I stopped taking it.

May 12, 2014 10:16 PM

Review by Natashab:

I promised myself I would write a review for this antidepressant. I have only been on them for a month so far and after trying various other antidepressants with negative side effects I can safely say I have found the right one for me! Not only did it stop my anxiety almost immediately but I rarely have any negative or paranoid thoughts. I would definitely recommend anyone who has clinical depression to take these because they have honestly changed my life for the better. Hope this helps.

May 1, 2014 12:48 PM

Review by Crazycatlady967:

Well I was gonna write a lot but apparently there's a character limit. So I guess we get the short version. Was on Paxil, after a while on it it made me have extreme outbursts of anger, constant depression, etc. Psychiatrist switched me to sertraline (started at 50mg, by end of 2 weeks I'm at 200mg). It's so wonderful. Reminds me of when you have a procedure, that first oxygen stuff. They give you that just takes the edge off everything. First couple days had nausea and diarrhea. Was worried this would last but didn't. Longest side effect has been headaches, which are easily handled with ibuprofen. The goods easily outweigh the bads, and this medicine has helped me in more ways than I can explain.

April 29, 2014 1:35 PM

Review by Michibelle:

Zoloft (sertraline): I was suffering from being a slave to my negative thoughts, making assumptions about my relationship that my partner was cheating on me or having a secret life, constantly being controlling over where things go in the house, how things should be, really severe mood swings and ridiculous anger which I would ignite a lot of arguments and have the urge to get physical and just completely lose it and not think rationally. My marriage was on the verge of failure due to my negative actions and my husband was at his breaking point. My doc prescribed me 50mg of Zoloft and I finally started it, I'm on week 2 and I feel incredibly calm, content and full of life again. I feel like I can handle situation in a positive manner.

161 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 21, 2014 8:13 PM

Review by Blue rose (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft (sertraline): On 50mg for 4 weeks then increased to 100mg for depression, panic attacks and obsessional thinking. I had few side effects, a slight hand tremor, yawning and difficulty sleeping. The only thing that lingered was the insomnia, but now that has settled down and I sleep okay. I feel so much better, panic attacks gone, obsessive compulsive disorder gone and my mood is lifting daily. I am enjoying life again and this medicine has been so right for me.

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 18, 2014 2:05 PM

Review by Milan**:

Zoloft (sertraline): After years of trying different medications sertraline has finally been the most useful and compatible one for me. If only I had found this years ago as it has lifted my depression, improved my social skills and eased my obsessive compulsive disorder symptoms (would trigger after anxiety).

April 18, 2014 6:31 AM

Review by perezmama (taken for less than 1 month):

Zoloft (sertraline): I am 24 years old and have a 14 week old son. I have fought with depression most of my life due to childhood and what not. After having my son everything came crashing down. I was on the brink of a divorce and suicidal. So I ask my Dr, he put me on 50mg of Zoloft and I'm now on day 4. Side effects for me are headache, tired, dizzy nausea. But I'm sticking to it hoping those will go away. My mood is so much better.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 9, 2014 3:11 PM

Review by frustrated at 42 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I am a 42 year old man who has been on Sertraline 100mg daily for about 4 years. I was diagnosed with depression and put on medication and saw a psycologist who was no help at all. The medication cured my constant state of anger and irritation and I could actually spend time with my wife and 3 children without flying into a rage! People wonder why I am always laughing and generally happy as well as being extremely laid back about situations. The big down side I have found with this medication is the lack of libido. The brain still wants it but the man stick does not respond too often. It can take an age to ejaculate and keeping an erection can also be a problem. I have gained some weight and I sweat profusely.

April 9, 2014 2:08 AM

Review by Boy Wonder:

Zoloft (sertraline): I took for 8 weeks, 53 year old male. I moved to a new town for job. It is pretty depressing when you don't know anyone. Zoloft 50 mg. First night NO sleep. Started taking at night with Ambien. I sleep for about 5 hours then I'm up at 3 am. Major side effects: inability to orgasm, clenched teeth, restless legs, trembling, loss of appetite, diarhea and sweating. First week was nausea, trembling but emotions were better. After 8 weeks, I think the side effects aren't worth the benefit. Quit cold turkey 4 days now. No major problems. Teeth clench still but, not as bad.

April 7, 2014 3:40 PM

Review by demis (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I promised myself to come back on this site and gave my 10 points to sertraline. Back in 2010 I had my first episode of depression topped up with severe anxiety and all the typical symptoms. I was suicidal, foggy, so confused hopeless and the list goes on and on. Sertraline came to rescue and 4 months later I managed to claim my life back from this horrific and life threatening illness. In January 2014 I was diagnosed with a chronic illness and paranoia depression and anxiety came back in vengeance due to the diagnosis. Sertraline came again to rescue and exactly 3 months later I am back to normal again. The first 4 weeks are rocky with the side effects I was feeling more suicidal and I had diarrhea but then everything was eliminated.

March 28, 2014 12:28 PM

Review by WanderingMind7:

Zoloft (sertraline): Zoloft. You made me REALIZE, I've been locked out of HEAVEN for too long (I've been dancing and cleaning on this Bruno Mars song all morning). That's how I feel on my medication! I'm on day 4 of 50 mg and I'm supposed to increase it to 100mg after 10 days. I have been having side effects since the first day such as shaking, abdominal pain, insomnia but nothing too major compared too what the "Beast" (yes! I call my anxiety the beast hehe) had me endure before. So I really don't mind those side effects because I know what's ahead of me is going to be spectacular. I've never had so much faith in my life before, at least not that I remember.

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 20, 2014 11:56 AM

Review by Slogg:

Zoloft (sertraline): After a month of bouncing between morning and night dosing of 1 50mg pill, I settled on morning. It was making me super sleepy but that went away mostly. Didn't gain but maybe 5lbs if that (I'm a gym rat somewhat). Felt really stoned the first week or so and sleeping was strange, maybe a little erectile dysfunction at first, but all of that went away too. A month in and the side effects are minimal. The panic is under control, but the depression is completely gone. THANKS A MILLION ZOLOFT.

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 17, 2014 10:44 AM

Review by Red button:

OK, so have only been on 50mg sertraline for a week. They did give me an instant calmness which I wasn't expecting. However, the side effects are a little too much for me. Upset stomach, blurry vision, concentration problems, but the insomnia is the thing that's getting to me the most. 3 days of virtually no sleep is making me feel terrible. I'm getting off these as the cons outweigh the pros for me, but completely understand why others would stick with them. All medicuness work differently on people, sertraline just won't be for me.

March 3, 2014 2:55 PM

Review by anonymous from ca (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Zoloft (sertraline): I've dealt with many periods of depression in my life, but I hit an all-time low a year and a half ago culminating in a suicide attempt. This medication helped me get back on my feet. I started with a low dose (25mg/day-I'm small and female) and have slowly increased to the normal dosage my doctor prescribes for adults (50mg/day). I went off of it for two months after five months of taking it and fell back into depression. Went back on it and have been fine since. I don't think I will stop again for a while. Only problems are occasional insomnia and inability to orgasm anymore.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 3, 2014 2:50 AM

Review by Out of control (taken for less than 1 month):

Zoloft (sertraline): I have been unemployed now for three years and things have gone from bad to worse. I found myself losing control of my temper and crying for no reason or if someone said something that negative. I couldn't sleep and when I did it was for two hours at a time. Sometimes I would stay up just crying. To add to my problems my back pain were getting worse. Doctor diagnose me with depression and gave me Zoloft. I started at 25mg for four days and then up to 50mg. It has been only a week, but I am not crying unexpectedly and feel calmer than I have in quite a while and have actually slept 5 hours straight. I had no side effects.

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 1, 2014 3:06 PM

Review by Mellisa1966:

My doctor prescribed 50mg Setraline to help me with depression, suicidal thoughts, and social anxiety. I have just been taking it a week, but I am very pleased so far. I am able to leave my apartment, go shopping in horrendous crowds and traffic, and deal with stress at work without breaking down and becoming fixated. Fleeting thoughts of worthlessness, hopelessness, and suicide are easily pushed away. I do deal with nausea, diarrhea, sleeplessness, and fatigue, but I make sure I eat before I take my pill and I force myself to eat each time the nausea comes on. I may gain weight, but I do not think so because I am never hungry now. I am hoping that the calmness remains as I continue taking Sertraline.

February 19, 2014 2:52 PM

Review by Sky Grayson:

I was taking Lexapro 10mg then upped to 20mg for the past 5 years. In the beginning it was great, I felt great, no anxiety or depression. But for the past two years my everyday life started to become a struggle. I became upset easily, I cried all the time, it was horrible. So my Dr and I decided that maybe the Lexapro had pooped out and to try a different antidepressant. So I began sertraline 50mgs. I've had no side effects except for some heartburn right after taking. So I began Prilosec to counteract this. I feel good. No anxiety and I can feel my depression lifting. I sleep fine no problems there. But I do take 25mgs of Vistaril at night so I'm sure that helps.

February 18, 2014 3:40 PM

Review by anonymous1997:

Zoloft (sertraline): I'm 16, and over the course of a few months I started becoming more and more depressed and anxious, after trying a few other medications along with none at all (only therapy), I started taking Zoloft as it has helped others in my family. The first 10 days (started at 25mg) were horrible, suicidal thoughts, no appetite, headaches and terrible anxiety but once I hit 2 weeks I felt so much better. I'm now 6 weeks in and on 75mg, I feel amazing, still get headaches but I'm not sure if it's related, I feel almost 100% myself, I'll give it a few more weeks and see if I need to maybe get to 100mg but honestly this medication saved my life.

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 2, 2014 10:46 PM

Review by Gypsy heart:

Zoloft (sertraline): I saw my doctor after the anxiety I'd been having the last year hit an all time high in the last six months. I would wake up wondering "Why? What am I even here for? what am I working for?" I suffered severe muscle tension in my shoulders and lower back, extreme irritability/mood swings & panic attacks..my heart would be POUNDING as if I'd run a 5k when really I was just lying in bed. It is day two of taking Zoloft...I'm singing (still terribly) to songs again. I feel I have gained the sense of "normal" that my life has always lacked. I am more clear-headed and find rational thinking easier. My depression and anxiety was destroying my relationships. I'm beginning to see this "light at the end of the tunnel" people speak of. 50mg a day.

117 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 25, 2014 2:22 AM

Review by mae22 (taken for less than 1 month):

Im 22 on Day 5 of 25mg Zoloft. tried Prozac before and it made me feel numb kind of zombie like. Zoloft is helping my mood, but I cant sleep at all, if I do manage to fall asleep I wake up an hour later. I clench my teeth and constantly need to move my legs at night. feel slightly confused at times. im hoping these side effects go away

January 21, 2014 12:19 AM