User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Sertraline review summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Depression

Review by hopeful female 30s:

Sertraline has helped with my mood swings and unwanted thoughts. I take 50 mg and can instantly feel if I miss my dosage. I would like to ween off but have too much going on that I don't think I can handle alone. Reasons I want to stop is memory loss, difficulty focusing, even struggle with people's names and I gain 20 lbs. For now the results outweigh the side effects but I'm hopeful I can get to a better place soon so I can safely stop.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 8, 2014 10:10 PM

Review by Gazz (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft (sertraline): Been on this medicine for 2 months 50 mg, feel so much better and much more relaxed. So much better than Prozac which made me very full of anxiety.

August 30, 2014 8:09 AM

Review by lessdepress:

25 yr old woman UK., I was very low for 3 and a half years, I didn't really realize i was getting more and more depressed until the past 6 months, and 4 months ago I found it hard to get out of bed or talk! Being shy and anxious as well it was really hard to pluck up the courage to go to my doctor, Which was embarrassing as I just cried and cried in his office and he wasn't very concerned and put me on citalopram 20mg, this wasn't very helpful and I did feel zombie like. I decided to stop using it after 3 months but then I got really REALLY depressed and went to a different doctor who put me on sertraline 50mg, its been close to 2 weeks and I feel like I'm actually getting better. A more supportive doctor was nearly as good as this, for me.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 29, 2014 4:12 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I took Zoloft for a year and a half when I was younger. It lifted a very dark cloud and got me through a bad situation until the year was over and I could change situations. It put an extra 10 pounds on me even though I was extremely athletic. More recently I tried going on it again ten years later and it didn't work. I've heard that happening with this medicine before, it works once but may not work if you go on it a second time. So I credit it with helping me once but not something I could return to.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 29, 2014 10:52 AM

Review by Lola Jane:

Zoloft (sertraline): Max dose needed for effect but working great . A bit of weight gain but tolerable . Helps me sleep better

August 26, 2014 10:57 PM

Review by tonyasap (taken for less than 1 month):

Been on sertraline for 3 weeks now not noticed many side effects apart from loss of appetite.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 22, 2014 12:54 PM

Review by echo111:

I have been using sertraline for about 3 months now. I was worried about the side effects of the medication, but I am really pleased with the results. I started on 25 mg and then increased the dose to 50mg after 1 month. This drug has been phenomenal for me. I am a 25 year old female who suffers from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, depression and anxiety. I was worried about weight gain, but I have actually lost weight while on this medicine. My mood is much more stable and predictable, I don't cry or feel down like I used too. Consulting with a doctor and trying an anti-depressant is truly one of the best decisions I've made.

August 8, 2014 2:27 PM

Review by loknath:

Zoloft (sertraline): Zoloft is really good.

July 5, 2014 8:38 AM

Review by Kieare (taken for less than 1 month):

Zoloft (sertraline): I have anxiety and depression. I was really against taking medication so I tried to resolve my issues myself. Needless to say, it never worked. I had been going through periods of depersonalization, feeling extremely down, suicidal and hopeless. I really thought life wasn't worth living anymore. It got so bad that I ended up in the hospital. I started taking 50 mg Zoloft and honestly it has been a life changer. I don't experience depersonalization anymore. My mood has been lifted so much that I don't feel down anymore, suicidal or hopeless. If you're afraid to take medicines please just give it a try. You won't regret it. Celexa didn't work for me, but I was determined to find a medicine that would. The key is to be patient.

135 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 28, 2014 8:57 AM

Review by Collegeguy123 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft (sertraline): 20 year old male. After failing 2 of my college classes in one semester, decided it was time to do something about my increasing depression. Doctor started me on Zoloft. Took about 4 weeks to start to notice the effects. Occasional shakes. Memory loss was frequent. Immediately noticed a decrease in sex drive and wasn't a problem until I started dating again and couldn't get it up the first time I got with my current girlfriend. Luckily she is understanding. My doctor is switching me to Wellbutrin. If it wasn't for the decreased sex drive I probably would have stayed on it.

June 20, 2014 1:03 AM

Review by sedonagreg (taken for less than 1 month):

Zoloft (sertraline): It took a couple weeks to notice any positive affects. It does help with depression. The big negative is the loss of the ability to achieve an orgasm.

June 8, 2014 9:10 PM

Review by Carriepotter:

I love sertraline, I can honestly say this medicine has given me my life back after crippling anxiety and depression. I feel back to my old self and able to get on with life

May 27, 2014 6:40 AM

Review by anutterblonde (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I was on the sertraline, for 3 years. After developing a strange phobia with severe anxiety, suicidal thoughts, and major depression, this medication probably saved my life. However, it only brought me back halfway. I still was depressed and still suffered from anxiety attacks, just not as much. After a couple of years, I believed it stopped working, even after increasing the dose, so I stopped taking it.

May 12, 2014 10:16 PM

Review by Natashab:

I promised myself I would write a review for this antidepressant. I have only been on them for a month so far and after trying various other antidepressants with negative side effects I can safely say I have found the right one for me! Not only did it stop my anxiety almost immediately but I rarely have any negative or paranoid thoughts. I would definitely recommend anyone who has clinical depression to take these because they have honestly changed my life for the better. Hope this helps.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 1, 2014 12:48 PM

Review by Crazycatlady967:

Well I was gonna write a lot but apparently there's a character limit. So I guess we get the short version. Was on Paxil, after a while on it it made me have extreme outbursts of anger, constant depression, etc. Psychiatrist switched me to sertraline (started at 50mg, by end of 2 weeks I'm at 200mg). It's so wonderful. Reminds me of when you have a procedure, that first oxygen stuff. They give you that just takes the edge off everything. First couple days had nausea and diarrhea. Was worried this would last but didn't. Longest side effect has been headaches, which are easily handled with ibuprofen. The goods easily outweigh the bads, and this medicine has helped me in more ways than I can explain.

April 29, 2014 1:35 PM

Review by Michibelle:

Zoloft (sertraline): I was suffering from being a slave to my negative thoughts, making assumptions about my relationship that my partner was cheating on me or having a secret life, constantly being controlling over where things go in the house, how things should be, really severe mood swings and ridiculous anger which I would ignite a lot of arguments and have the urge to get physical and just completely lose it and not think rationally. My marriage was on the verge of failure due to my negative actions and my husband was at his breaking point. My doc prescribed me 50mg of Zoloft and I finally started it, I'm on week 2 and I feel incredibly calm, content and full of life again. I feel like I can handle situation in a positive manner.

237 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 21, 2014 8:13 PM

Review by Blue rose (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft (sertraline): On 50mg for 4 weeks then increased to 100mg for depression, panic attacks and obsessional thinking. I had few side effects, a slight hand tremor, yawning and difficulty sleeping. The only thing that lingered was the insomnia, but now that has settled down and I sleep okay. I feel so much better, panic attacks gone, obsessive compulsive disorder gone and my mood is lifting daily. I am enjoying life again and this medicine has been so right for me.

119 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 18, 2014 2:05 PM

Review by Milan**:

Zoloft (sertraline): After years of trying different medications sertraline has finally been the most useful and compatible one for me. If only I had found this years ago as it has lifted my depression, improved my social skills and eased my obsessive compulsive disorder symptoms (would trigger after anxiety).

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 18, 2014 6:31 AM

Review by perezmama (taken for less than 1 month):

Zoloft (sertraline): I am 24 years old and have a 14 week old son. I have fought with depression most of my life due to childhood and what not. After having my son everything came crashing down. I was on the brink of a divorce and suicidal. So I ask my Dr, he put me on 50mg of Zoloft and I'm now on day 4. Side effects for me are headache, tired, dizzy nausea. But I'm sticking to it hoping those will go away. My mood is so much better.

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 9, 2014 3:11 PM

Review by frustrated at 42 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I am a 42 year old man who has been on Sertraline 100mg daily for about 4 years. I was diagnosed with depression and put on medication and saw a psycologist who was no help at all. The medication cured my constant state of anger and irritation and I could actually spend time with my wife and 3 children without flying into a rage! People wonder why I am always laughing and generally happy as well as being extremely laid back about situations. The big down side I have found with this medication is the lack of libido. The brain still wants it but the man stick does not respond too often. It can take an age to ejaculate and keeping an erection can also be a problem. I have gained some weight and I sweat profusely.

April 9, 2014 2:08 AM

Review by Boy Wonder:

Zoloft (sertraline): I took for 8 weeks, 53 year old male. I moved to a new town for job. It is pretty depressing when you don't know anyone. Zoloft 50 mg. First night NO sleep. Started taking at night with Ambien. I sleep for about 5 hours then I'm up at 3 am. Major side effects: inability to orgasm, clenched teeth, restless legs, trembling, loss of appetite, diarhea and sweating. First week was nausea, trembling but emotions were better. After 8 weeks, I think the side effects aren't worth the benefit. Quit cold turkey 4 days now. No major problems. Teeth clench still but, not as bad.

April 7, 2014 3:40 PM

Review by demis (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I promised myself to come back on this site and gave my 10 points to sertraline. Back in 2010 I had my first episode of depression topped up with severe anxiety and all the typical symptoms. I was suicidal, foggy, so confused hopeless and the list goes on and on. Sertraline came to rescue and 4 months later I managed to claim my life back from this horrific and life threatening illness. In January 2014 I was diagnosed with a chronic illness and paranoia depression and anxiety came back in vengeance due to the diagnosis. Sertraline came again to rescue and exactly 3 months later I am back to normal again. The first 4 weeks are rocky with the side effects I was feeling more suicidal and I had diarrhea but then everything was eliminated.

March 28, 2014 12:28 PM

Review by WanderingMind7:

Zoloft (sertraline): Zoloft. You made me REALIZE, I've been locked out of HEAVEN for too long (I've been dancing and cleaning on this Bruno Mars song all morning). That's how I feel on my medication! I'm on day 4 of 50 mg and I'm supposed to increase it to 100mg after 10 days. I have been having side effects since the first day such as shaking, abdominal pain, insomnia but nothing too major compared too what the "Beast" (yes! I call my anxiety the beast hehe) had me endure before. So I really don't mind those side effects because I know what's ahead of me is going to be spectacular. I've never had so much faith in my life before, at least not that I remember.

117 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 20, 2014 11:56 AM

Review by Slogg:

Zoloft (sertraline): After a month of bouncing between morning and night dosing of 1 50mg pill, I settled on morning. It was making me super sleepy but that went away mostly. Didn't gain but maybe 5lbs if that (I'm a gym rat somewhat). Felt really stoned the first week or so and sleeping was strange, maybe a little erectile dysfunction at first, but all of that went away too. A month in and the side effects are minimal. The panic is under control, but the depression is completely gone. THANKS A MILLION ZOLOFT.

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 17, 2014 10:44 AM

Review by Red button:

OK, so have only been on 50mg sertraline for a week. They did give me an instant calmness which I wasn't expecting. However, the side effects are a little too much for me. Upset stomach, blurry vision, concentration problems, but the insomnia is the thing that's getting to me the most. 3 days of virtually no sleep is making me feel terrible. I'm getting off these as the cons outweigh the pros for me, but completely understand why others would stick with them. All medicuness work differently on people, sertraline just won't be for me.

March 3, 2014 2:55 PM