User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Sertraline review summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 64 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Bipolar Disorder

Review by Molly woppit:

Zoloft brought me out of a deep depression nothing else worked. I am concerned it will make me manic as im bipolar 1, so far so good. I do get a tremor with it but I'm also on lithium.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 21, 2014 2:48 PM

Review by crazyukman (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've been on sertraline for about 6 months now and I have started to notice I am much more confident in social situations and outside the house. I suffer with Bipolar 2 and anxiety and often won't leave the house because of this anxiety. My social anxiety is much better on sertraline compared with other SSRIs. It has made getting to sleep more difficult, but I tend to take the tablet mid-afternoon which helps. It's had no effect on my trichotillomania and not a huge effect during my depressive periods. The mood stabilizer lamotrigine has been a better antidepressant.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 8, 2014 3:54 PM

Review by Weavnuts (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I have tried a variety of SSRI antidepressant medications and Zoloft by far was the most useful in managing my anxiety and depression. I am bipolar 1 and also take lithium, propranolol, gabapentin, Vistaril and Klonopin. The main problem was that more recently I have begun having rapid cycling manic episodes forcing me to begin tapering off.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 13, 2014 5:38 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Initially it helped with anxiety and depression. However, I started having manic episodes and rapid cycling while on it. My psychiatrist said no more SSRIs for me, and they generally aren't recommended for Bipolar. Now I wish I could have some of the anti-anxiety effects of Zoloft, but that benefit is not worth the risk. Zoloft gave me slight sexual side effects, overeating, and minor headaches. That being said, it is a miracle for some.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 11, 2013 10:16 PM

Review by johnw489 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I take many medications for Depression (Bi-Polar) and this one helps without the sleepiness that the other ones give. I take a total of four different medications for depression some to help me sleep and others as a supplement.

May 25, 2013 1:52 PM

Review by plibs (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Did help with depression however had bad side effects like low libido. Also, created manic symptoms even when on lithium so I can't even be on a high enough dose to be really effective.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 5, 2013 2:11 AM

Review by CrazyBrit:

I've just switched from venlafaxine to sertraline (four week switch-over) because the former was affecting my sodium levels. However I've only just stopped the last of the venlafaxine last week and am on 100mg. POSITIVE EFFECTS: not depressed, not dead. NEGATIVE EFFECTS: moderate manic symptoms (four hours' sleep in 24, talking and laughing too much for others' comfort, easily distracted, spending money like water, intolerance of quiet and calm). However it could be that I'm just on too high a dose for my sensitivity to the medicine and I haven't done anything dangerous nor lost insight like I can do on other medicines.

October 25, 2011 1:17 PM

Review by volynn:

Zoloft (sertraline): I took Zoloft for 2 years at 100mg daily for bipolar disorder type I. Zoloft is wonderful in that it made me significantly less anxious. However, it didn't succeed in making me any less depressed. Also, as with most anti-depressants, I experienced a decreased sex drive.

May 14, 2011 9:04 PM

Review by Wyndrake:

Zoloft (sertraline): I was originally prescribed Zoloft for depression, but in 6 months I had a severe manic episode and was diagnosed Bipolar 1. Now I take Zoloft with other medicines. I would not recommend taking it alone if you may be Bipolar. I like that I have very few side effects and it does help with anxiety and compulsive behavior too. One problem is no sexual desire, I feel like I am neglecting my boyfriend.

March 31, 2011 6:46 PM

Review by collinscj2009:

Zoloft (sertraline): worked well for a month then I quickly ramped up to a manic episode

October 4, 2010 8:23 AM

Review by Crystal Dawn:

Zoloft (sertraline): My original experience with Zoloft was over ten years ago, during a serious depressive episode - it seemed to be effective as a stabilizer. This past December, a doctor prescribed it again to help pull me out of another down-turn. Within the course of a month I progressed from severe depression to ultradian mood cycling, which resulted in a nervous breakdown. The cycling abated within a couple weeks of discontinued treatment with Zoloft.

October 2, 2009 11:31 AM

Review by atlanta 1:

Zoloft (sertraline): I seem to be doing very well on this medicine (was on Cymbalta for 2 years and it lost its purpose such as many antidepressants do). Zoloft is not supposed to wear off over time.

September 4, 2009 7:41 PM

Review by murph.ferguson.gmail.com:

Zoloft (sertraline): I used to have a lot of problems with my bi-polar. I was self medicating with marijuana. I started taking Zoloft and things worked well, although once I had a major manic episode and lost all my money. Ouch!

April 11, 2009 9:34 AM

Review by hoboanalerect:

Zoloft (sertraline): Very good.

October 5, 2008 4:24 PM

Review by zoloftposterchild:

Zoloft (sertraline): Zoloft's been a life saver for me. I've been stable for over ten years. I've had to have my dose adjusted but that's part of life. It hasn't made me manic, knock on wood. My friends and family are a huge support. I take my medicines as directed, and I don't use alcohol or other drugs. No serious side effects. My doctor's also very careful. I get upped or lowered slowly and he watches me closely. The only hard time with Zoloft was running out. I did get withdrawls.

September 26, 2008 2:33 AM

Review by woodra01:

Zoloft (sertraline): I use Zoloft for my depressive episodes due to bipolar disorder. I have unsuccessfully tried about fifteen other anti depressants in the past. Zoloft works wonderfully! With Zoloft, it doesn't take long for my depressive symptoms to fade. The only side effect that I experience is the complete loss of my sex drive. It is very common with SSRIs. Fortunately, I talked to my doctor about it and he prescribed Periactin to take with it. Periactin is very effective at addressing the issue.

August 11, 2008 6:30 PM

I have been on many different SSRI's and sertraline has worked much better than any other medicine. I've been on it for about 5 years now. The only suggestion I have is to make sure you have regular contact with your doctor because I have the dose changed every once in a while to suit my needs.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 29, 2008 11:41 AM

Review by Bugg:

Zoloft (sertraline): this med. works wonders. it helps with my social anxiety,night terrors, PTS and deff. my depression. i am very pleased and would recommend this to others with bipolar disorder to talk with their doc.s

April 29, 2008 9:34 AM

Review by RhiannonAmaya:

Zoloft (sertraline): I take Zoloft along with Trileptal for my bipolar disorder. It is a very good medicine that hasn't given me any side effects at all. The only problem is it makes me real manic at times, which is common. Besides that I have no complaints! It is one of the best medicines I have ever taken.

March 13, 2008 2:51 AM