User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Sertraline Review Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 62 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Bipolar Disorder

"This is by far the best medication of about the 5 I have been tried on Doesnt make me feel like a zombie I agree with others tho I do experience slight rapid cycling and I have got myself into a financial pickle lately over spending but to be able to control my anxiety and my compulsive behaviour really has helped me to feel "normal" again"

A6XBB June 9, 2015

"Unbelievable change had no idea why I felt the way and why my actions were not normal , but normal for me. I am bipolar and the Zoloft is just letting me function better and I can be a real dad not a part time , my family talk to me. Getting this control back has made work an whole new thing. I love my job now and have got tools to help me with situations. I have also become a lot more creative and finish every thing I start and my memory and arithmetic are 2nd to none which is very important in my job. I am so happy, my family are happy. I love not being up and down and all around and confused. It is a life saver for me. I hope every one gets the help they need. My blood pressure has also come down and I also write too Cheers"

Big fulla March 14, 2015

"I was prescribed with sertraline a few years ago for MDD and bipolar disorder. Even tough it took some time to produce positive effects, sertraline was, indeed effective (especially when combined with bupropion and escitalopram). The mood variations disappeared, depression decreased. From the negative side, it produced a decrease in libido, and an extreme decrease in creativity. If you are a composer, a painter, a writer, etc, you should, in my opinion, expect a possible and very pronounced decrease in creativity during the its use. The temptation to interrupt the treatment for the benefit of recovering the creativity should be strongly resisted."

Male_24_Caucasian (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 2, 2014

"Zoloft brought me out of a deep depression nothing else worked. I am concerned it will make me manic as im bipolar 1, so far so good. I do get a tremor with it but I'm also on lithium."

Molly woppit November 21, 2014

"I've been on sertraline for about 6 months now and I have started to notice I am much more confident in social situations and outside the house. I suffer with Bipolar 2 and anxiety and often won't leave the house because of this anxiety. My social anxiety is much better on sertraline compared with other SSRIs. It has made getting to sleep more difficult, but I tend to take the tablet mid-afternoon which helps. It's had no effect on my trichotillomania and not a huge effect during my depressive periods. The mood stabilizer lamotrigine has been a better antidepressant."

crazyukman (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 8, 2014

"I have tried a variety of SSRI antidepressant medications and Zoloft by far was the most useful in managing my anxiety and depression. I am bipolar 1 and also take lithium, propranolol, gabapentin, Vistaril and Klonopin. The main problem was that more recently I have begun having rapid cycling manic episodes forcing me to begin tapering off."

Weavnuts (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 13, 2014

"Initially it helped with anxiety and depression. However, I started having manic episodes and rapid cycling while on it. My psychiatrist said no more SSRIs for me, and they generally aren't recommended for Bipolar. Now I wish I could have some of the anti-anxiety effects of Zoloft, but that benefit is not worth the risk. Zoloft gave me slight sexual side effects, overeating, and minor headaches. That being said, it is a miracle for some."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 11, 2013

"I take many medications for Depression (Bi-Polar) and this one helps without the sleepiness that the other ones give. I take a total of four different medications for depression some to help me sleep and others as a supplement."

johnw489 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 25, 2013

"Did help with depression however had bad side effects like low libido. Also, created manic symptoms even when on lithium so I can't even be on a high enough dose to be really effective."

plibs (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 5, 2013

"I've just switched from venlafaxine to sertraline (four week switch-over) because the former was affecting my sodium levels. However I've only just stopped the last of the venlafaxine last week and am on 100mg. POSITIVE EFFECTS: not depressed, not dead. NEGATIVE EFFECTS: moderate manic symptoms (four hours' sleep in 24, talking and laughing too much for others' comfort, easily distracted, spending money like water, intolerance of quiet and calm). However it could be that I'm just on too high a dose for my sensitivity to the medicine and I haven't done anything dangerous nor lost insight like I can do on other medicines."

CrazyBrit October 25, 2011

Zoloft (sertraline): "I took Zoloft for 2 years at 100mg daily for bipolar disorder type I. Zoloft is wonderful in that it made me significantly less anxious. However, it didn't succeed in making me any less depressed. Also, as with most anti-depressants, I experienced a decreased sex drive. "

volynn May 14, 2011

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was originally prescribed Zoloft for depression, but in 6 months I had a severe manic episode and was diagnosed Bipolar 1. Now I take Zoloft with other medicines. I would not recommend taking it alone if you may be Bipolar. I like that I have very few side effects and it does help with anxiety and compulsive behavior too. One problem is no sexual desire, I feel like I am neglecting my boyfriend."

Wyndrake March 31, 2011

Zoloft (sertraline): "worked well for a month then I quickly ramped up to a manic episode"

collinscj2009 October 4, 2010

Zoloft (sertraline): "My original experience with Zoloft was over ten years ago, during a serious depressive episode - it seemed to be effective as a stabilizer. This past December, a doctor prescribed it again to help pull me out of another down-turn. Within the course of a month I progressed from severe depression to ultradian mood cycling, which resulted in a nervous breakdown. The cycling abated within a couple weeks of discontinued treatment with Zoloft. "

Crystal Dawn October 2, 2009

Zoloft (sertraline): "I seem to be doing very well on this medicine (was on Cymbalta for 2 years and it lost its purpose such as many antidepressants do). Zoloft is not supposed to wear off over time."

atlanta 1 September 4, 2009

Zoloft (sertraline): "I used to have a lot of problems with my bi-polar. I was self medicating with marijuana. I started taking Zoloft and things worked well, although once I had a major manic episode and lost all my money. Ouch!"

murph.ferguson.gmail.com April 11, 2009

Zoloft (sertraline): "Very good."

hoboanalerect October 5, 2008

Zoloft (sertraline): "Zoloft's been a life saver for me. I've been stable for over ten years. I've had to have my dose adjusted but that's part of life. It hasn't made me manic, knock on wood. My friends and family are a huge support. I take my medicines as directed, and I don't use alcohol or other drugs. No serious side effects. My doctor's also very careful. I get upped or lowered slowly and he watches me closely. The only hard time with Zoloft was running out. I did get withdrawls."

zoloftposterchild September 26, 2008

Zoloft (sertraline): "I use Zoloft for my depressive episodes due to bipolar disorder. I have unsuccessfully tried about fifteen other anti depressants in the past. Zoloft works wonderfully! With Zoloft, it doesn't take long for my depressive symptoms to fade. The only side effect that I experience is the complete loss of my sex drive. It is very common with SSRIs. Fortunately, I talked to my doctor about it and he prescribed Periactin to take with it. Periactin is very effective at addressing the issue."

woodra01 August 11, 2008

"I have been on many different SSRI's and sertraline has worked much better than any other medicine. I've been on it for about 5 years now. The only suggestion I have is to make sure you have regular contact with your doctor because I have the dose changed every once in a while to suit my needs."

Anonymous July 29, 2008

Zoloft (sertraline): "this med. works wonders. it helps with my social anxiety,night terrors, PTS and deff. my depression. i am very pleased and would recommend this to others with bipolar disorder to talk with their doc.s"

Bugg April 29, 2008

Zoloft (sertraline): "I take Zoloft along with Trileptal for my bipolar disorder. It is a very good medicine that hasn't given me any side effects at all. The only problem is it makes me real manic at times, which is common. Besides that I have no complaints! It is one of the best medicines I have ever taken."

RhiannonAmaya March 13, 2008