User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Sertraline Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Anxiety and Stress

"After breaking up with my high school sweetheart, I would have panic attacks that would violently wake me up at night. I knew I had a problem but it wasn't depression (later I realized anxiety) since I was happy to start over in college. My stress of attending school even as a commuter laid heavy on my mind as well. I went to my doctor, crying that I did not know what was wrong. After 3 years, I still remain on Zoloft/Sertraline at 25mg. I've always been told it's not a lot but it still really helps me. I rarely get panic attacks anymore, and if I do, I don't throw up or feel dizzy. I am happy that I haven't had any side effects or problems involving this medication."

Melissa S. April 28, 2016

"Seretine saved my life .. I'm now on 150mg And feeling fine"

alion_66 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 15, 2016

"Out of nowhere I got extremely depressed and had horrible anxiety! I was horrified.. I even had to quit my job. I went to the doctor so many times, I just knew something was horribly wrong. I had blood work done, urine tests, Ct scan on my stomach and MRI on my brain.. After ALL of that came back normal..I knew it was anxiety/depression. I tried celexa 20 at first but it made me so weak I quit taking it.. the doctor switched me to Zoloft and it gave me my life back. It took about 4 weeks to fully feel like myself again. I want you to know if you're reading this searching for answers..I was once you and I turned to these forums to help me. The Zoloft made me nauseous but it goes away, the side effects go away. HANG IN THERE. I'm on 25mg."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 14, 2016

"This drug has been amazing for me! I went from not being able to think clearly and rationally after a very abusive marriage and stressor of special needs children to being a calm supportive single mother. I used to avoid cleaning or spending time with my kids because I was so in stress survival mode that I could not handle the little things. The side effects for me are near to nothing and I think it even helps my metabolism. I was really reluctant to take a drug but I am happy I listened to older experienced people and my therapist. Really has helped so much. I still hate the idea that I need it. Yet, I am so happy that I have it available to me. I don't have a foggy brain and I sleep really well. I used to even avoid sleeping."

Onyx23 April 11, 2016

"I've suffered from anxiety my whole life. It was exacerbated 11years ago when I gave birth to my daughter at 17. I've tried so many different medications with horrible side effects. I'm diagnosed with PTSD and hypervigilance so no side effect, no matter how minuscule, slipped by me. During my last bad episode of depression/anxiety, I reluctantly agreed to try sertraline. My dr started the lowest dose possible, 25mg (lower than she had ever prescribed) in the hopes it would ease my anxiety about side effects. I'm now on 75mg a day and so happy I finally found the medication that works for me! My only side effect is night sweats and vivid dreams. Don't give up! Sertraline is med #4 I've tried and the first one that really worked for me."

Colbym April 11, 2016

"Awful stuff. Made me feel really bad. Do not recommend it. I felt every bad side effect and did not benefit from it one bit. Am much happier not taking it."

Rewt April 9, 2016

"I've been on Sertraline since march 8, I experienced horrible side effects including severe panic attacks and chronic anxiety the first couple of weeks. Right now it seem's to have stabilised my mood and functioning. I'm no longer lying and bed and feeling like i'm dying lol. I'm going to continue taking this medication :-)."

Anonymous March 26, 2016

"My family Doc put me on sertraline due to anxiety. For some unknown reason, I developed driving anxiety. I also had PSD. Initially, it was suppose to be a 9mos treatment. 25mg for 3 mos. After the 3mos, the dose was increased to 50mg. It worked great in reference to my PSD but there was only a 10% improvement on my driving anxiety. Right before the 9mos, I had some difficult family situations where I ended up self increasing the dose to 100mg. Eventually, i saw my Doctor in my nxt folllow up and he wasnt happy with me for increasing the dose...but ended up on prescribing the dose at 100mg. Now I have been on sertraline for 2 years and a few months and I feel that my driving anxiety is coming back and even worse."

Tx March 24, 2016

"Okay, so first of all if you decide to take this medication. Make sure to set a routine time each day to take it it works best that way. Also it takes awhile to fully kick in, for me about after 4 complete months of not missing a 50mg dose I started to feel the good effects from it. Seriously! you have to continually take it on a scheduled time to feel the good effects from the meds. After dealing with stress and anxiety after a few bad years I finally decided I needed some type of medication.After trying everything else medication was my last resort but man I wish I strarted it sooner! I'm about 6 months in on a 50mg dose and I'm starting to feel alive again. Enjoying things I used to take joy in but lost it when my depression hit."

Seraltraline (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 20, 2016

"Absolutely amazing drug. Side effects can be a bit crap for the first few weeks. Always takes a good 4 to 5 weeks to kick in. Stick with it."

'TIM;;;;;;; March 19, 2016

"Sertraline saved my education and my life. I had the side effects of mild dizziness for 3 days, decreased appetite for 3 weeks, and decreased sex drive for 3 weeks. Both came back though. I'm in my final year of high school, and I have struggled so much for the past 4 years due to severe panic disorder and MDD. I came very close to completely dropping out and being uncontrollably agoraphobic. I cried almost daily, things hit me harder than they did other people, my dad was at a loss. I was a straight A student until my severe mental illness almost ruined me. Sertraline 50mg has helped me learn to cope. I haven't missed a day of school due to anxiety this year, no unexpected full-blown panic attacks, I barely ever cry. I'm stronger."

Cnicholls998 March 5, 2016

"At first I lost a little weight probably from the nausea in the beginning. Yes, It did seem to help my anxiety. But, as time went on I steadily gained 20lbs in the 9 months I was on this. I was always a healthy weight for my height. Now I am chunky. I tapered off slowly with my doctor's help. I've been off sertraline for 3 months. I have exercised daily, 30-45 min runs 5-7 days a week, I have upped my protein and cut calories, my weight has not budged. There is no doubt in my mind that this AD destroyed my metabolism. I'm not giving up and will continue to diet and exercise. I would never recommend this ssri to anyone unless they are fine with getting fat. I wish my dr had advised me of this. :("

Tbone1812 February 18, 2016

"I have suffered with anxiety and severe depression for years. I had tried group therapy as well as one on one sessions with a psychiatrist but it was not much help. I would sit at a meeting or in a class and look normal but I would be going crazy inside with my thoughts racing out of control, and this would last nonstop for days. It also made social situations extremely difficult. My doc put me on Sertraline first at 25m and upped it to 50m after a month. Except for a bit of nausea I had almost no side effects and after about three weeks I started to notice some subtle changes. I've been on it going on four months now and I feel like a new person! I'm much more in control and my days now are calm and much happier. If u can relate plz try it"

Beach lover (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 17, 2016

"My doctor started me on 50mg sertraline almost two weeks ago, I still feel just as bad as I did when I went... I have hot sweats, restless legs at night and heart palpitations. I'm hoping this will pass soon or will go back to the doctors."

anderson77777 February 4, 2016

"Normally I would never write a review on a drug, but I've had such a positive experience with sertraline that I really want to help others with my experience. I've always suffered with severe anxiety & low mood, particularly in winter. I had a rough time with my PhD not going to plan several months ago & started to feel worse and worse, feeling anxious and panicky all the time. After cbt failed to work, I finally agreed to try sertraline. I was terrified of taking drugs, terrified of side effects and feeling worse. Started on 50mg, had a little nausea and anxiety but not too bad. After 3 weeks my doctor upped me to 100mg. 3 months later & my anxiety has almost entirely gone & my mood is always good! I'm so happy I gave this drug a chance!"

Belle79 February 4, 2016

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Starting this medication was the best thing I could have done for myself. I struggle with anxiety and depression, and I also have premenstrual dysphoric disorder. Sertraline has helped me cope with all of them. I haven't been this mentally stable and clear-headed for a very long time - maybe never. I can make decisions without agonizing over them, experience new social situations, do new things, and life seems so much more managable. All of the hurdles in my life that seemed insurmountable before are now obstacles I know I can climb over. The only side-effect I've noticed is a little bit of dry mouth, and I started to noticably feel the affects only about a week or so taking it."

Anonymous January 22, 2016

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I feel extremely happy and it may be because I am taking sertraline. I, however, believe that the sertraline has helped any anxiety I have felt (I have panic attacks and have self diagnosed OCD - sometimes I feel I must know everything about everything) the anxiety which I no longer feel allows me to think clearly, plan my ideas in a chronological order, I now know that it's never going to be the end of the world (hopefully) and discipline myself and my thoughts accordingly. I plan to stay on sertraline only for 6 months longer, and then my discipline should take hold :) I hope this helps x"

Velocity123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 18, 2016

"I hate being on them, they make me feel sick. Found it hard to sleep for the first month after being taken off amitriptyline for sertraline. I feel spaced out and still can't see a difference. I have been on them for several months and I want to be taken off them."

ruru5454 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2016

"Been on sertraline for 14 days now for anxiety. My anxiety started on 12/18/15 and I'm not sure why? Could have been several things going on at that time in my life, but I didn't think they were that bad. I suffered with the anxiety until 12/29/15 and then went to see the doctor because I was scared. Doctor put me on 25mg of Sertraline. A few hours after taking it, I felt very calm. But the next morning, the anxiety was back. Every day, in the afternoon, my anxiety lightens. By evening, I feel fine and can just relax with my husband. From everything I've read, it seems that increased anxiety is a side effect of the drug. I sleep okay, but wake early due to the anxiety. I am hoping in the next few weeks, this goes away."

dfra (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2016

"I was on Lexapro for 9 years and felt great.....stupid me decided to go off....I weaned off and after 3 months off my Anxiety/panic started again out of nowhere weekly..... I called my MD who perscribed Zoloft (because I wanted to try a different one)....well I started on 25mg for one week and now it's one week on 50mg and I'm still bad. Actually worse anxiety/panic now. I read that this is normal ON Zoloft at beginning stages....BUT HOW LONG?....I can't take it..... I take xanax to help when panic arises, but so wishing I never stopped the Lexapro :("

Hopingitworkssoon (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2016

"The first time I took this pill I had horrible side effects. My hands got all sweaty, my heart felt like it was beating very fast, I felt sick and scared. I do not recommend this, though I'm sure it's different for everyone."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 17, 2015

"I started off on 50 mg. I was instantly able to tell that my appetite went up. After a week, I went up to 100 mg. I was on 100 mg for 3 weeks and gained four pounds in two weeks. I was eating bigger meals and I craved junk food. However, I felt like it was helping my anxiety a little bit. I decided to stay on it because I have tried Lexapro, Brintellix and Venlafaxine, and none of those worked for me. After the three weeks, I went up to 150 mg. I gained an extra pound, and my anxiety and depression got worse. My sleeping schedule got off, my social as well as general anxiety increased, I was jittery and I wasn't able to focus on anything."

Space Kitty December 16, 2015

"I was on 50mg of sertraline for over two months for anxiety. I experienced problems with diarrhea right after I started taking this drug. It eased off in a month, then came back with a vengeance in the second month to the point I was counteracting the anxiety med with Immodium. I spoke to the doctor who prescribed it and he said it shouldn't bother me that way, take more! Take 50mg twice a day! Suffice it to say I did not take more and went to my family doctor for a different drug, Effexor. I am in the trial period of the new drug, but the good news is the diarrhea ended shortly after I stopped taking Sertraline. It did reduce anxiety somewhat, but I will never take it again!"

Cat mom December 9, 2015

"I have had anxeity and depression before. I went on Paroxetine for it the first time and it was the worst experience of my life in the BEGINNING ONLY!! I was on that for 1 year then free from all of it for 2 years. I have been going through PND which I never thought was possible for a male.... however thats what I got diagnosed with. I was terrifed to go back on SSRI due to the experiance I had last time.... However my Doc decided to make me try Zoloft and its honeslty fantastic. I started on .25 and have been moved up to 50mg to get the full effect of it. I am now happy and able to enjoy being a new dad!!! My family needed me and thanks to Zoloft it saved us all. My advice to beginners... give it time. It will save you!"

baileyboy86 December 8, 2015

"I am 24. I had been getting more anxious and depressed from my senior year of high school. It got to the point that I was having panic attacks on a weekly basis my second year of college. I was very wary of social situations, barely slept most nights, and just felt negative all the time. Originally I was put on lexapro and tried it for about 6 months during my student teaching semester of graduate school. The panic attacks did stop and I felt less anxious but I also felt like my emotions were way off. It's like that were trapped in a box and while I want exactly sad, I was never happy. Doctor switched me to sertraline and lunesta, then upped the sertraline after a couple of months. Now I feel the best I've ever felt in my life!"

Miss teacher Christine December 6, 2015