User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Sertraline Review Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 8 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Anxiety and Stress

"I have only been on this drug for two days and I'm already finding it really difficult waking up in cold sweats almost vomiting having a bad tummy and just feeling very scared I'm not sure if to stay on them as everything seem so much more worse"

Cody369 May 20, 2015

"Suffer from depression, anxiety and panic attacks, first I was given sertraline, 3 days I felt sick and just rubbish after 1-2weeks I felt like I could move around, do what needed to be done, there were side affects, felt a bit like a zombie, but I was managing and coping and living my life and did stop after 6months wanting to tackle it on my own and try and manage, after 7months off them I found symptoms slowly getting worse and felt I should go back on 25mg - Like others have said stick with it, its better to manage and live then feel trapped in your own body."

Perisan (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 15, 2015

"This has been one of the toughest medications I have ever been on. I've been on countless numbers of antipsychotics, antidepressants, mood stabilisers... Around 25 medications in total. I was wrongly diagnosed as borderline personality and suffered greatly as a result. Sertraline made everything so much worse for about three weeks: but then, it was like a switch had been pressed in my head. My racing, obsessive thoughts stopped, my constant headaches, insomnia, sweating, worrying, heart pains, vanished. I can think, I can feel and I can, for the first time in a long time, be 100% completely myself without the pain. You don't get points in this world for suffering and this has improved my life by about 100000000%. Stick with it."

JoeH1995 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2015

"I've been suffering from generalised anxiety but especially at work..for around two years. Previously taking citalapram, I stopped due to side affects. Initially wary that these would be the same or worse. But 4 weeks into treatment. I really am back to my old self, Happy to enjoy life rather than being anxious all of the time. What's more, my work performance has improved, relationships are much more fulfilling for me and them. I exercise more, eat healthily, and generally my cognition is calm and clear. Few side affects.. Slight sleep disturbances, jaw clenching, and thirst...all now reduced and are easy to live with considering the benefits."

Topginge (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2015

"I started using sertraline back in August 2014. After the initial side effects of high panicking and anxiety , which was why I was put the drug in the 1st place, the drug certainly helped me get back to a healthy state of mind. But like an idiot , after 6 months I thought I could tackle the world on my own again and dropped to 25mg a day for 4 weeks. Then stopped altogether. Big mistake. 3 weeks later bang, high anxiety kicked in and stress. So I'm back on 50mg a day for at least the next 6 months. Not that there is any problem with going back on it, more like a wake up to myself not too get carried with recovery. Enjoy the good times and the help sertraline can give. Got to put up with a few side effects of going back on them........."

MrBNegative (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 2, 2015

"I am a 29 year old female and I have never taken a drug in my life prior to being prescribed 25mg of Sertraline (Zoloft). I was diagnosed with anxiety and panic attack. One of my panic attacks happened while I was driving to work and I was just scared to death to drive ever since for almost 6 months. I did a lot of research prior to making this drug. I was horrified of side affects and getting addicted to the drug. Long story short, I have been on this medicine for two months now and it has completely changed my life. I can drive now without fear and I feel great again :). This drug has completely changed my life. You do not have to be on it forever. Please, talk to your doctor and give this medicine a try. Take care!"

Happy Puppy (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 29, 2015

"Makes you feel worse for the first few days but the side affects start to wear off. On my 4 th day still got a little light head and a bit anxious but I feel so much better than what I did 4 days ago! Can get up and get dressed and do what I need to do. Taking your mind off it will make you feel better, constantly thinking about it will make you more anxious. Think positive:) overall I feel better than I did before, can't wait until it takes the full effect."

Anonymous April 20, 2015

"This is truly amazing. Really helps, can't fault it. Started to work nearly straight away I feel alot happier. It has saved my life."

Kels-x April 18, 2015

"Was on for 3 weeks. Went from having anxiety and panic attacks to having severe depression and suicidal thoughts."

Th3Machin3 April 10, 2015

"This stuff has really helped me! Before taking it, I was always angry or depressed. Now for once I finally feel relaxed and I'm not so high strung either! I've never been able to just take a break! Finally I can! I wish I took it sooner!"

stripednalem April 1, 2015

"I was hesitant to post a review since I haven't even been taking sertaline a week yet. However, I'll share for anyone looking for an initial experience. Although it's common for this medication to to kick in for at least two weeks, I do believe I have felt a slight difference thus far. I've been going through emotional relationship issues for about a month now. Before starting this medication, I had CONSTANT recurring negative thoughts, I would feel down almost all day, I wouldn't have any motivation and my work ethic had plummeted. 5 days on the medication and it has stopped the recurring thoughts. While I still experience the pain of the situation, I'm still able to feel like myself without the anxiety having such a strong effect on me."

B. Rasmhss March 21, 2015

"Ok so I've had anxiety/depression for over 20 years. I've tried Prozac, amitriptyline, citalopram, and sertraline. Sertraline has totally changed my life. I struggled with the side effects of the other meds mentioned and felt disconnected and zoned out at times, so much so I couldn't continue with them. However sertraline does still have its side effects, on first taking it increased my anxiety and so took diazepam for the first few weeks. I had a dry mouth at first but this has settled. I now have a normal sleep pattern and have the energy to play with my children, do housework and can leave the house without fear of being looked at it or even spoken to. Its all trial and error, I'm on dose 100mg daily I'm late 30s female. "

Floppy1 March 9, 2015

"I am a 43 year old mom who's struggled with bouts of anger and anxiety. I felt so agitated by everything, I didn't want my boyfriend to even look at me and it took a toll on our relationship. I'm a grad student and an HR manager with a high stress work environment. I have ADD as well so I began taking a small amt of aderall with the zoloft and I am a 'sweetheart' now as my boyfriend says. In fact, we are ring shopping now. The zoloft does have the 1 sexual side effect for me which makes it difficult for me to 'finish'...but overall I really like this medication."

Sophie71 March 3, 2015

"I'm 58, I have GAD (General Anxiety Disorder) I've been taking Zoloft/Sertraline 50mg, for 15 years. I 've had no problems. 3 months ago I experienced a dizzy spell with vertigo, lasted 3 hours. 2 days later my ear(s) started ringing. For 3 years now, I've been under the stress of personally caring for my mother who is 84. I have a full time job and have had for 20 years. 2 weeks ago, I slipped into anxiety/depression. Feelings of confusion, shaking, heart racing, no appetitie, not sleeping well or sleeping to much. My in control attitude got up and went. Doc (of 34 years) says raise the dose 100mgs. It took everything I had to take 50mgs 15 years ago. I still believe in Zoloft, wondering if 75mgs will help? Thoughts on ringing, vertigo?"

Briteyes (taken for 10 years or more) February 19, 2015

"I could do a commercial for this medication. It has completely turned everything around for me. I have always had anxiety, but it became significantly worse after having children. I feared being alone, ruminating thoughts, insomnia, panic over the insomnia, feeling like the worst mother, feeling like I couldn't care for myself or my children. I fought taking medication for so long. I finally gave in. I started with 25 mg and moved up to 50 mg. I began to feel better in a week, and I felt the full effects by 4 weeks. It has given me my life back. I'm happy. I'm not stressed. I feel normal again!"

Me789 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 11, 2015

167 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This medication takes a while to work, you also need to be on the correct dosage! Am on 200mgs and have just started to feel more normal! I have been on this medicine 7 weeks, 2 weeks at 200mgs! My therapist also said if you are suffering with anxiety (health OCD) which I'd never experienced before , dark thoughts 200 mgs is most effective being on less doesn't really work."

Dollybird (taken for less than 1 month) February 2, 2015

"Great medicine for anxiety if you are patient and go slowly in titration. It can "activate" your anxiety at first and with dose increases but you need to stick through it. A when required benzodiazepine helps a lot at first. I'd start at 12.5 or 25 and slowly titrate every two weeks, that mitigates the side effects. I think anything between 50 to 100mg is perfect. Fast metabolizers may need more."

SilasT January 14, 2015

"I'm 16 years old and I've been taking sertraline for about two years now and it's completely changed my life. Early on in high school I struggled with anxiety that gave me severe stomach aches and as I started to think about getting one, I would bring one on. I still had a good amount of friends and was very social but often avoided social situations due to my fear of getting sick. I didn't go on a few class field trips because I worried about having to "go" on the bus and my anxiety haunted every aspect of my life which often made me feel frustrated and depressed. Finally, I went to the doctor and was prescribed 50mg of sertraline. After a few weeks I was already seeing changes in how my body reacted to situations and I'm happier than ever."

Gabri December 26, 2014

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started taking this when I was having difficulties with coping with my anxiety. The doctor who I am not visiting anymore put me on this but asked me a few questions before I consumed I. This was helpful but then ever since I have been on sertraline 150 mg I feel more anxiety and then at another point I don't. I was having a few problems with friendship but this has made me cope much better and to feel more relaxed when communicating with other people. My dosage was increased very quickly and I felt like I needed to be higher up with the dosage as my anxiety was severe. I have had dry mouth and a few withdrawal symptoms. I also have to keep drinking water."

Zoloft 2 years (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 18, 2014

"Long story short anxiety took over my life overnight. I was expediting looping thoughts, negative anxiety causing ones. I am big on organic food/natural remedies etc. I don't even like cold medicine so I went 3 months battling daily attacks. Finally I couldn't take it anymore, Dr. prescribed clonazepam & sertraline. It did take the full 5 weeks for me, but I got control of my thoughts right away, with in days! Amazing! I lost weight on this, but my appetite has now returned. I feel great! Totally normal, 8 weeks in & forgot I ever had anxiety in the first place. I feel 100% normal. I wish I would have gone to the doctor sooner. Hang in there, you can beat this!"

Yay! December 12, 2014

152 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am 17 years old and I have just started taking Zoloft 25 mg for 2 days for stress, depression, anxiety and insomnia. The first night I took it at 6. I felt high, my pupils were big, and I couldn't stop smiling. When I woke up for school in the morning I was half awake and half asleep. Don't remember shutting my alarm off and getting out of bed. I had yawning episodes all day. And I also felt very happy. Some of these side effects suck, but I'm sticking it out. Hope it continues to make me feel happy!"

Anonymous2437585 December 4, 2014

"Please give this medicine a try. I have had some mild anxiety since my 20's, and after I had a child and now I'm in my 40's it got pretty bad to the point where I would have a panic attack in my car every day and I developed a fear of driving. I also had very bad health anxiety and ended up in the ER for a panic attack. I was very scared of taking any prescriptions because of all the horrific reviews, but panicking in my car was no way to live either so I decided to try Zoloft. The first 2 weeks the side effects were rough: nausea, loss of appetite, dizziness, dry mouth, but the anxiety was getting better from day one. I started with 25mg and worked myself up to 50mg. The side effects pretty much subsided after week 3 and now I feel great."

bellazmomma (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 1, 2014

"I have ALWAYS suffered from anxiety and depression. It has been my experience that meds often do not act "typically" when I take them, so I was wary of sertraline. I started out with 25 mg per day from my psychiatris. When he prompted me to increase to 50 mg, I did so, and experienced the "zoned-out" feeling of unreality--not scary--just distracting. When I stay at 25 mg per day, I feel normal. Anxiety is at a minimum, and depression is manageable. I feel fortunate and blessed. I just wonder why such a low dose for me has such a huge positive impact. Anyone else experience this phenomenom?"

Amazed and Grateful (taken for less than 1 month) November 22, 2014

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been taking sertraline for 2 months it has helped with some symptoms. It has made me feel quite low at tmes I am now taking 200mg but I am not quite convinced it is the right meds for me."

catpack November 9, 2014

"I have been taking Sertraline (Zoloft) for two years now. I am the happiest person in the world, and nothing is stopping me! I am a differant person from two years ago. Thank you!"

C.Angela September 17, 2014

166 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next