User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Sertraline Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 8 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Anxiety and Stress

"My doctor started me on 50mg sertraline almost two weeks ago, I still feel just as bad as I did when I went... I have hot sweats, restless legs at night and heart palpitations. I'm hoping this will pass soon or will go back to the doctors."

anderson77777 February 4, 2016

"Normally I would never write a review on a drug, but I've had such a positive experience with sertraline that I really want to help others with my experience. I've always suffered with severe anxiety & low mood, particularly in winter. I had a rough time with my PhD not going to plan several months ago & started to feel worse and worse, feeling anxious and panicky all the time. After cbt failed to work, I finally agreed to try sertraline. I was terrified of taking drugs, terrified of side effects and feeling worse. Started on 50mg, had a little nausea and anxiety but not too bad. After 3 weeks my doctor upped me to 100mg. 3 months later & my anxiety has almost entirely gone & my mood is always good! I'm so happy I gave this drug a chance!"

Belle79 February 4, 2016

"Starting this medication was the best thing I could have done for myself. I struggle with anxiety and depression, and I also have premenstrual dysphoric disorder. Sertraline has helped me cope with all of them. I haven't been this mentally stable and clear-headed for a very long time - maybe never. I can make decisions without agonizing over them, experience new social situations, do new things, and life seems so much more managable. All of the hurdles in my life that seemed insurmountable before are now obstacles I know I can climb over. The only side-effect I've noticed is a little bit of dry mouth, and I started to noticably feel the affects only about a week or so taking it."

Anonymous January 22, 2016

"I feel extremely happy and it may be because I am taking sertraline. I, however, believe that the sertraline has helped any anxiety I have felt (I have panic attacks and have self diagnosed OCD - sometimes I feel I must know everything about everything) the anxiety which I no longer feel allows me to think clearly, plan my ideas in a chronological order, I now know that it's never going to be the end of the world (hopefully) and discipline myself and my thoughts accordingly. I plan to stay on sertraline only for 6 months longer, and then my discipline should take hold :) I hope this helps x"

Velocity123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 18, 2016

"I hate being on them, they make me feel sick. Found it hard to sleep for the first month after being taken off amitriptyline for sertraline. I feel spaced out and still can't see a difference. I have been on them for several months and I want to be taken off them."

ruru5454 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2016

"Been on sertraline for 14 days now for anxiety. My anxiety started on 12/18/15 and I'm not sure why? Could have been several things going on at that time in my life, but I didn't think they were that bad. I suffered with the anxiety until 12/29/15 and then went to see the doctor because I was scared. Doctor put me on 25mg of Sertraline. A few hours after taking it, I felt very calm. But the next morning, the anxiety was back. Every day, in the afternoon, my anxiety lightens. By evening, I feel fine and can just relax with my husband. From everything I've read, it seems that increased anxiety is a side effect of the drug. I sleep okay, but wake early due to the anxiety. I am hoping in the next few weeks, this goes away."

dfra (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2016

"I was on Lexapro for 9 years and felt great.....stupid me decided to go off....I weaned off and after 3 months off my Anxiety/panic started again out of nowhere weekly..... I called my MD who perscribed Zoloft (because I wanted to try a different one)....well I started on 25mg for one week and now it's one week on 50mg and I'm still bad. Actually worse anxiety/panic now. I read that this is normal ON Zoloft at beginning stages....BUT HOW LONG?....I can't take it..... I take xanax to help when panic arises, but so wishing I never stopped the Lexapro :("

Hopingitworkssoon (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2016

"The first time I took this pill I had horrible side effects. My hands got all sweaty, my heart felt like it was beating very fast, I felt sick and scared. I do not recommend this, though I'm sure it's different for everyone."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 17, 2015

"I started off on 50 mg. I was instantly able to tell that my appetite went up. After a week, I went up to 100 mg. I was on 100 mg for 3 weeks and gained four pounds in two weeks. I was eating bigger meals and I craved junk food. However, I felt like it was helping my anxiety a little bit. I decided to stay on it because I have tried Lexapro, Brintellix and Venlafaxine, and none of those worked for me. After the three weeks, I went up to 150 mg. I gained an extra pound, and my anxiety and depression got worse. My sleeping schedule got off, my social as well as general anxiety increased, I was jittery and I wasn't able to focus on anything."

Space Kitty December 16, 2015

"I was on 50mg of sertraline for over two months for anxiety. I experienced problems with diarrhea right after I started taking this drug. It eased off in a month, then came back with a vengeance in the second month to the point I was counteracting the anxiety med with Immodium. I spoke to the doctor who prescribed it and he said it shouldn't bother me that way, take more! Take 50mg twice a day! Suffice it to say I did not take more and went to my family doctor for a different drug, Effexor. I am in the trial period of the new drug, but the good news is the diarrhea ended shortly after I stopped taking Sertraline. It did reduce anxiety somewhat, but I will never take it again!"

Cat mom December 9, 2015

"I have had anxeity and depression before. I went on Paroxetine for it the first time and it was the worst experience of my life in the BEGINNING ONLY!! I was on that for 1 year then free from all of it for 2 years. I have been going through PND which I never thought was possible for a male.... however thats what I got diagnosed with. I was terrifed to go back on SSRI due to the experiance I had last time.... However my Doc decided to make me try Zoloft and its honeslty fantastic. I started on .25 and have been moved up to 50mg to get the full effect of it. I am now happy and able to enjoy being a new dad!!! My family needed me and thanks to Zoloft it saved us all. My advice to beginners... give it time. It will save you!"

baileyboy86 December 8, 2015

"I am 24. I had been getting more anxious and depressed from my senior year of high school. It got to the point that I was having panic attacks on a weekly basis my second year of college. I was very wary of social situations, barely slept most nights, and just felt negative all the time. Originally I was put on lexapro and tried it for about 6 months during my student teaching semester of graduate school. The panic attacks did stop and I felt less anxious but I also felt like my emotions were way off. It's like that were trapped in a box and while I want exactly sad, I was never happy. Doctor switched me to sertraline and lunesta, then upped the sertraline after a couple of months. Now I feel the best I've ever felt in my life!"

Miss teacher Christine December 6, 2015

"Suffered quite bad anxiety for a number of years but tried every herbal remedy, acupuncture etc as I didn't want to go on meds. After the initial common side effects that lasted a few weeks I began to notice subtle changes. After a few months I feel great and wish I'd done it sooner. I spent a long time being like a bag of nerves doing the most everyday task ie grocery shop, work etc I'd have palpitations, shakes, fight or flight feeling along with constant I.b.s. I get a very odd "off" day which isn't nowhere as near as bad as before the mess, overall I feel the best I have done in years. I can now do normal things without thinking I'm going to have a panic attack, socialising more, don't get ill so frequently and generally more energy."

Anoish November 9, 2015

"I just started taking Sertraline a few days ago. I've had a difficult past month. I had an episode with Afib, acid reflux, my sister who I was very close to passing away. A diabetic ulcer, and more. I've had several trips to the ER in the past month with all with the same outcome-anxiety. I've been off work for most of this past month which adds to stress. I have problems when my wife is at work or away. As you can see, I'm a nervous wreck! No improvement yet as they say it takes a couple of weeks for any improvement. I will let you know how things are going."

dennoron (taken for less than 1 month) November 5, 2015

"This drug has made me feel normal again. What's better is because I was suffering from anxiety which I never thought would get better I'm now even in a better mood than a normal person. I had a unpleasant onset of this drug which made me feel very sick and strange for the first two to three weeks and after the third week I noticed that this drug has improved me. If you have anxiety this is the perfect medicine for you it actually makes you feel normal again and slightly better than normal. I am still feeling everyday getting better probably due to the fact my brain is realising I'm starting to feel good again that my anxiety is also gone."

best drug in history for me (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 5, 2015

"I was put on this for anxiety. The first 3-4 days I was fine, just a little tired but then experienced the worst panic attack I've had in years. The daily anxiety continued after that and I was taking my as needed lorazepam almost everyday. I contacted my doctor and she suggested taking half. I tried that and was ok for 4-5 days and bam the anxiety and panic returned. I never had problems sleeping but I would wake up with a racing heart almost every morning. I made it 3.5 weeks before my doctor and I decided to switch to something else. I feel like this medication made me feel worse. The pharmacist said I shouldn't feel increased anxiety that long it's usually just the first few days."

ChihuahuaMother October 27, 2015

"I was prescribed sertraliine for anxiety fiirst two weeks were horrible but after that I felt on top of the world I honestly couldnt beliieve even for sports i was afraiid to have th ball when playing soccer before thr medication after i was taken it I was like ronaldo all that anxiousness afraiid to meet peoplle thinking people were looking at me was all gone including panick attacks. The side affects r bad feel sick hot flushs but of u have them go to your doctors abd hel give u xanax r gerax for a week 1 3 times a day abd after that ul b bk to normal trust me just stick to it"

Mark Ireland October 21, 2015

"Had a bad nose bleed never had one in my life age 72"

rossie/ rossie43bigpond.com (taken for less than 1 month) October 17, 2015

"First weeks of 25mg.. So far only side effects are my heart feels like it's racing.. Not like panic attacks. But just a rapid beat. I am sticking with the meds though. Diagnosed with severe depression and PTSD. I also get Xanax I take 1mg as needed. Hope this helps!"

Beccas27 October 8, 2015

"I've been on the tablets for months and months for hot flushes and its not working at all. My hot flushes are horrible I have trouble sleeping and I've piled over 2 stone in weight. I need to get in at the doctors ...but I work full time ...and doctors aren't the easiest places to get a appointment x"

Thaila (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 4, 2015

"Not a drug I would recommend due to horrible side effects! Can't sleep at night, diarrhea, agitation especially at night."

Vanna Monique October 2, 2015

"My Dr prescribed 50mg Sertraline today for me I%u2019m a first time user and I%u2019m in two minds about taking it I%u2019m just afraid of the side effects and what it can do. I tend to cry a lot due to my wife%u2019s illness I%u2019m not sleeping to good my whole life is of the grid"

tom carter (taken for less than 1 month) October 2, 2015

"My anxiety came out of no where. I was 35 and was never depressed or had anxiety ever in my life. At first I thought I could handle it myself, just thinking to myself that my daily anxiety attacks would go away. It got to the point where I couldn't take it anymore and I tried to check myself into a psychiatric ward. Obviously they didn't think I belonged there and told me to see a psychiatrist. She prescribed me 50mg of Zoloft. The first 2 weeks were horrible. She then upped my dosage to 100mg with Xanax to help the side effects. I'm at 150mg now and have never felt better in my life. My side effects were mixed, but they all go away eventually. Stick with it, it helps."

Sal D September 11, 2015

"I have been on escitalopram for 10 years, I am in full blown menopause, and my anxiety and depression has increased, the doc has put me on sertraline 50mg, I'm on day 4 and feel sick and keep having bouts of tearfulness, just wandering how long it has took for this to pass, I hate having this all over again"

NettieDodar August 29, 2015

"I have had anxiety attacks since i was 24. I was on Prozac for almost 15 years and it really helped. I went off it on my doctor's advice, saying I could cure it with diet and exercise, about 6 months later I was in a terrible position and dreaded life. I saw a psychiatrist that I paid out of pocket because Covered CA tries to get you to see people with MA Degrees in counseling. Of course, they are much cheaper. The very kind Psychiatrist empathized with me and said I should not have to feel this way. He put me on Sertraline, starting on 50mg working my way up to 300mg over two months, the first 2-3 weeks were hard. I had some sexual side effects that are gone now and I feel like a normal person again. I am extremely happy with this."

Eric CA August 22, 2015