Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Sertraline review summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 8 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Anxiety and Stress

Makes you feel worse for the first few days but the side affects start to wear off. On my 4 th day still got a little light head and a bit anxious but I feel so much better than what I did 4 days ago! Can get up and get dressed and do what I need to do. Taking your mind off it will make you feel better, constantly thinking about it will make you more anxious. Think positive:) overall I feel better than I did before, can't wait until it takes the full effect.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 20, 2015 1:03 PM

Review by Kels-x:

This is truly amazing. Really helps, can't fault it. Started to work nearly straight away I feel alot happier. It has saved my life.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 18, 2015 9:50 AM

Review by Th3Machin3:

Was on for 3 weeks. Went from having anxiety and panic attacks to having severe depression and suicidal thoughts.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 10, 2015 7:49 PM

Review by stripednalem:

This stuff has really helped me! Before taking it, I was always angry or depressed. Now for once I finally feel relaxed and I'm not so high strung either! I've never been able to just take a break! Finally I can! I wish I took it sooner!

April 1, 2015 12:04 AM

Review by Me789 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I could do a commercial for this medication. It has completely turned everything around for me. I have always had anxiety, but it became significantly worse after having children. I feared being alone, ruminating thoughts, insomnia, panic over the insomnia, feeling like the worst mother, feeling like I couldn't care for myself or my children. I fought taking medication for so long. I finally gave in. I started with 25 mg and moved up to 50 mg. I began to feel better in a week, and I felt the full effects by 4 weeks. It has given me my life back. I'm happy. I'm not stressed. I feel normal again!

136 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 11, 2015 8:50 PM

Review by Dollybird (taken for less than 1 month):

This medication takes a while to work, you also need to be on the correct dosage! Am on 200mgs and have just started to feel more normal! I have been on this medicine 7 weeks, 2 weeks at 200mgs! My therapist also said if you are suffering with anxiety (health OCD) which I'd never experienced before , dark thoughts 200 mgs is most effective being on less doesn't really work.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 2, 2015 4:55 AM

Review by SilasT:

Great medicine for anxiety if you are patient and go slowly in titration. It can "activate" your anxiety at first and with dose increases but you need to stick through it. A when required benzodiazepine helps a lot at first. I'd start at 12.5 or 25 and slowly titrate every two weeks, that mitigates the side effects. I think anything between 50 to 100mg is perfect. Fast metabolizers may need more.

January 14, 2015 9:33 PM

Review by Gabri:

I'm 16 years old and I've been taking sertraline for about two years now and it's completely changed my life. Early on in high school I struggled with anxiety that gave me severe stomach aches and as I started to think about getting one, I would bring one on. I still had a good amount of friends and was very social but often avoided social situations due to my fear of getting sick. I didn't go on a few class field trips because I worried about having to "go" on the bus and my anxiety haunted every aspect of my life which often made me feel frustrated and depressed. Finally, I went to the doctor and was prescribed 50mg of sertraline. After a few weeks I was already seeing changes in how my body reacted to situations and I'm happier than ever.

December 26, 2014 9:08 AM

Review by Zoloft 2 years (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I started taking this when I was having difficulties with coping with my anxiety. The doctor who I am not visiting anymore put me on this but asked me a few questions before I consumed I. This was helpful but then ever since I have been on sertraline 150 mg I feel more anxiety and then at another point I don't. I was having a few problems with friendship but this has made me cope much better and to feel more relaxed when communicating with other people. My dosage was increased very quickly and I felt like I needed to be higher up with the dosage as my anxiety was severe. I have had dry mouth and a few withdrawal symptoms. I also have to keep drinking water.

December 18, 2014 4:29 AM

Review by Yay!:

Long story short anxiety took over my life overnight. I was expediting looping thoughts, negative anxiety causing ones. I am big on organic food/natural remedies etc. I don't even like cold medicine so I went 3 months battling daily attacks. Finally I couldn't take it anymore, Dr. prescribed clonazepam & sertraline. It did take the full 5 weeks for me, but I got control of my thoughts right away, with in days! Amazing! I lost weight on this, but my appetite has now returned. I feel great! Totally normal, 8 weeks in & forgot I ever had anxiety in the first place. I feel 100% normal. I wish I would have gone to the doctor sooner. Hang in there, you can beat this!

134 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 12, 2014 8:47 PM

Review by Anonymous2437585:

I am 17 years old and I have just started taking Zoloft 25 mg for 2 days for stress, depression, anxiety and insomnia. The first night I took it at 6. I felt high, my pupils were big, and I couldn't stop smiling. When I woke up for school in the morning I was half awake and half asleep. Don't remember shutting my alarm off and getting out of bed. I had yawning episodes all day. And I also felt very happy. Some of these side effects suck, but I'm sticking it out. Hope it continues to make me feel happy!

December 4, 2014 9:05 PM

Review by bellazmomma (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Please give this medicine a try. I have had some mild anxiety since my 20's, and after I had a child and now I'm in my 40's it got pretty bad to the point where I would have a panic attack in my car every day and I developed a fear of driving. I also had very bad health anxiety and ended up in the ER for a panic attack. I was very scared of taking any prescriptions because of all the horrific reviews, but panicking in my car was no way to live either so I decided to try Zoloft. The first 2 weeks the side effects were rough: nausea, loss of appetite, dizziness, dry mouth, but the anxiety was getting better from day one. I started with 25mg and worked myself up to 50mg. The side effects pretty much subsided after week 3 and now I feel great.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 1, 2014 4:27 PM

Review by Amazed and Grateful (taken for less than 1 month):

I have ALWAYS suffered from anxiety and depression. It has been my experience that meds often do not act "typically" when I take them, so I was wary of sertraline. I started out with 25 mg per day from my psychiatris. When he prompted me to increase to 50 mg, I did so, and experienced the "zoned-out" feeling of unreality--not scary--just distracting. When I stay at 25 mg per day, I feel normal. Anxiety is at a minimum, and depression is manageable. I feel fortunate and blessed. I just wonder why such a low dose for me has such a huge positive impact. Anyone else experience this phenomenom?

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 22, 2014 8:28 PM

Review by catpack:

I have been taking sertraline for 2 months it has helped with some symptoms. It has made me feel quite low at tmes I am now taking 200mg but I am not quite convinced it is the right meds for me.

November 9, 2014 6:11 AM

Review by C.Angela:

I have been taking Sertraline (Zoloft) for two years now. I am the happiest person in the world, and nothing is stopping me! I am a differant person from two years ago. Thank you!

154 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 17, 2014 3:48 PM

Review by lokoroy:

Good.

August 13, 2014 4:14 AM

Review by Chickieboom (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was under huge amounts of stress. Divorce, Lost my home my car and no child support. Then 2 of my kids left for college. I went on like this for 3 years and finally broke down. I couldn't function I couldn't go out in public, I hated life, l felt like the worst person in the world and wanted to die. I finally went to the doc. She gave me 50mg and it made my anxiety sky rocket...helped my depression though. Cut me back to 25mg No luck, went back to 50mg with Ativan as needed. Finally after 2 months I went up to 100 mg with clonazepam as needed and now I am depression and anxiety free and no more clonazepam. No more negative ruminating thoughts, no more feelings of worthlessness. It has brought me back to life which I have not felt for YEARS!

147 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 17, 2014 8:32 AM

Review by Onehappygal:

I have suffered from SEVERE PMS for years. I am a very positive upbeat person. I hate the fact that my PMS caused me such stress. I couldn't think clearly, would fly off the handle and nothing. My husband and children felt the effects of it each month. I just wanted to run far far away and jump out of my skin. I couldn't handle it anymore. After explaining this to my PCP, she thought Zoloft would help me. Advised me to take 25 mg for 7 days, then increase to 50mg. I'm not kidding you, after 2 days I saw a huge change. I finally had energy! It has been 2 months now and I never increased to 50mg. The 25mg did the trick! I no longer have PMS. I think clearer than I have in years. My mind doesn't race. I'm calm and I have my life back. Thank God!

129 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 7, 2014 2:24 PM

Review by Olivex:

I have been taking sertraline since October of 2013 (eight months). I started out with a low dosage (25mg I believe) and slowly worked my way up to 75mg. It did take some time for the anxiety to really be drowned out but it has done wonders for me. I remember the day I went to the doctors, feeling fed up that my anxiety had really taken control of my life- work, school, relationships were all negatively affected by it. I was crying everyday at this point. I lost my father to cancer and the battle was very hard on me for three years. The sertraline has done wonders for me. I honestly feel like myself again- I do not feel any "high" or anything that I would not want to feel. I honestly appreciate this medicine as it has saved my life.

169 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 6, 2014 10:12 AM

Review by thigk1:

Prescribed Mirtazapine 18 months for mild depression. I started panicking and depression worsened, I became hyper anxious.I was lucky to get a different Dr when I turned up hysterical at the surgery. He took me off mirtazapine and moved me gradually onto sertraline. Horrific. I couldn't eat or sleep, I paced for hours in circles. For 12 weeks I was a suicide focused unstable shaking retching mess. I lost 2 stone. I was given a preset dose of diazepam and lorazepam at intervals throughout the day. My husband or mother shuttled me backwards and forwards so I was never left alone. Gradually we built up the dosage of sertraline to 200mg and stopped the benzos . I don't feel anxiety or depression, I feel fantastic, confident, energetic, happy

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 30, 2014 3:06 PM

Review by lanners (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I'm 15 and since elementary school I've had anxiety. In December 2013 it started getting severe to the point where I couldn't get any work done or fall asleep for hours. I was extremely concerned about my heart because my chest was hurting and I was having heart palpitations (which worried me more). I finally went to a psychologist mid-February and started Zoloft 25 mg a day for the first week. Now I'm on 50mg/day. I have never been happier. My life has completely turned around, I function like a normal person and I never worry about my heart anymore. I started noticing the Zoloft working at the beginning of the second week. Only side effect: decreased appetite for first few weeks, but 100% back to normal now. Zoloft truly changed my life.

139 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 29, 2014 5:47 PM

Review by Suzucki (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Sertraline has helped my life move on for the better. I was giving up on life, but gradually over 6 weeks I feel different and more interested and motivated to enjoy life. My dose is now 100mgs, so please stick with it.

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 19, 2014 1:02 PM

Review by DCINIA45 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I've scrolled through about 3 pages of comments but I have failed to find one of the side effects I'm now thankfully free of. I had an INSATIABLE appetite for sugar, namely chocolate. But if none happened to be available and I was desperate, I'd just pour a cup of sugar and eat it with a spoon. I actually lost weight during the time I took it, but every evening I'd need to eat enough sugar for 10 people to curb the craving. Secondly, it was TERRIBLE for sex drive. Absolutely horrid. Overall this medicine was helpful for me, I'm in the process of dosing down now. which IS an awful process. Make sure to do what your doctor says. I'm doing it the right way and still have insomnia, rapid heart beat and brain zaps.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 13, 2014 12:42 AM

Review by Quags (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Sertraline wasn't an awful medication by any means, but it just wasn't for me. Curbed my appetitie and I'm already very thin. Helped with some symptoms but not all. More effective for day-to-day problems likely.

January 8, 2014 8:08 PM

Review by Joeym7 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Hi, I was taking Citalopram and had the initial doses there from 10 to 20 to 30mg for GAD. I'm not sure what triggered the anxiety but alcohol definitely makes it worse. I hated Citalopram as it often left me lethargic, and made my anxiety worse. I have been on Sertraline for about 6 weeks and I did notice an initial improvement but now I feel like my anxiety is taking its toll again. I am currently taking 50mg but I'm unsure whether to increase to 100mg or switch to a different SSRI. Please can people share their views with me? I'm a 24 year old male and I'm eager to get on with life, but it just feels like my anxiety is the elephant in the room. Thank you in advance and good luck everyone.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 11, 2013 4:35 PM