User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Sertraline review summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 8 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Anxiety and Stress

Review by lanners (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

sertraline: I'm 15 and since elementary school I've had anxiety. In December 2013 it started getting severe to the point where I couldn't get any work done or fall asleep for hours. I was extremely concerned about my heart because my chest was hurting and I was having heart palpitations (which worried me more). I finally went to a psychologist mid-February and started Zoloft 25 mg a day for the first week. Now I'm on 50mg/day. I have never been happier. My life has completely turned around, I function like a normal person and I never worry about my heart anymore. I started noticing the Zoloft working at the beginning of the second week. Only side effect: decreased appetite for first few weeks, but 100% back to normal now. Zoloft truly changed my life.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 29, 2014 5:47 PM
Review by Suzucki (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

sertraline: Sertraline has helped my life move on for the better. I was giving up on life, but gradually over 6 weeks I feel different and more interested and motivated to enjoy life. My dose is now 100mgs, so please stick with it.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 19, 2014 1:02 PM
Review by DCINIA45 (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

sertraline: I've scrolled through about 3 pages of comments but I have failed to find one of the side effects I'm now thankfully free of. I had an INSATIABLE appetite for sugar, namely chocolate. But if none happened to be available and I was desperate, I'd just pour a cup of sugar and eat it with a spoon. I actually lost weight during the time I took it, but every evening I'd need to eat enough sugar for 10 people to curb the craving. Secondly, it was TERRIBLE for sex drive. Absolutely horrid. Overall this medicine was helpful for me, I'm in the process of dosing down now. which IS an awful process. Make sure to do what your doctor says. I'm doing it the right way and still have insomnia, rapid heart beat and brain zaps.

February 13, 2014 12:42 AM
Review by Quags (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

sertraline: Sertraline wasn't an awful medication by any means, but it just wasn't for me. Curbed my appetitie and I'm already very thin. Helped with some symptoms but not all. More effective for day-to-day problems likely.

January 8, 2014 8:08 PM
Review by Joeym7 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

sertraline: Hi, I was taking Citalopram and had the initial doses there from 10 to 20 to 30mg for GAD. I'm not sure what triggered the anxiety but alcohol definitely makes it worse. I hated Citalopram as it often left me lethargic, and made my anxiety worse. I have been on Sertraline for about 6 weeks and I did notice an initial improvement but now I feel like my anxiety is taking its toll again. I am currently taking 50mg but I'm unsure whether to increase to 100mg or switch to a different SSRI. Please can people share their views with me? I'm a 24 year old male and I'm eager to get on with life, but it just feels like my anxiety is the elephant in the room. Thank you in advance and good luck everyone.

November 11, 2013 4:35 PM
Review by teresacv: User Rating:

sertraline: I began taking sertraline to help with panic attacks, depression, and anxiety. These symptoms were the affect of an unhealthy work environment and having lost 3 immediate family members within 6 months. I began taking 25mg and felt no change. After a month and a half my doctor increased it to 50mg. I went from being angry all the time to crying all the time. We then increased the dosage 75mg and that has done the trick. I can not believe how well this medication works. I am more positive, HAPPY, and able to handle an extremely difficult working environment! I have not felt this good in years!

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 22, 2013 3:00 PM
Review by Lucy57: User Rating:

sertraline: I had situational depression and was started on 50mg of Zoloft. It helped within a few weeks, but I had some major diarrhea when I started which seemed to start resolving itself, then I was upped to 75 mg and the diarrhea started again. It's been 10 months in total, and I still have episodes of diarrhea a few times a day for a few days. Then for a day or two I will be fine. I've lost about 19 pounds due to the appetite suppression effects and the diarrhea. I've also noticed a loss of libido but these are side effects I'm willing to live with as opposed to the depression. I am having my recommended at age 50 for screening purposes colonoscopy soon and am sure the diarrhea is not a cause for concern. We will find out.

October 21, 2013 4:28 PM
Review by heyamykate (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

sertraline: I have been on Zoloft (sertraline) for a little over a year. It has made a huge difference in my quality of life - I no longer have constant anxiety or am paralyzed by inability to make a decision. I was afraid that it would make me feel like a zombie or feel emotionless, but instead I just feel much more in control and able to move on from things like a normal person. I was worried about weight gain on this, but my doc combined it with Wellbutrin to help with my depression and offset the Zoloft side effects, and it turned out to be a perfect combo!

October 15, 2013 10:50 AM
Review by Stal (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

sertraline: I suffered from severe driving anxiety. Got to the point that I had to get my wife to do all the highway driving. Symptoms were lightheadedness, imbalanced, heart palpitations. I started Sertraline 4 weeks ago (50Mg). I have noticed a remarkable improvement. Back to doing all the highway driving, passing trucks able to stay in the fast lane with lots of traffic. One side effect however is daily diarrhea. Follow up this week with my doctor.

September 3, 2013 12:27 PM
Review by Lainey91 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

sertraline: I have been on sertraline for about 2 months now. My doctor prescribed them 4 months ago but I was very reluctant to take them as I had read that the side effects could be pretty awful. For the first week I didn't feel great at all, mainly restlessness and slightly heightened anxiety but after the week they fully wore off I found it took about 5-6 weeks until I really noticed a change in my mood but I definitely feel loads better than I did before I started sertraline. I was prescribed 50mg to start off with and yesterday got prescribed 100mg as I still don't feel completely myself yet, but I do feel a million times better. I haven't taken 100mg yet as I am scared I get worsened side effects but I am going to try them tonight.

August 14, 2013 4:57 PM
Review by TJe: User Rating:

sertraline: I'm 13, this works very well. I've had anxiety for the longest time. This is the perfect medicine. I haven't been having anxiety attacks anymore.

August 1, 2013 3:38 PM
Review by LUCKYLADY123: User Rating:

sertraline: After suffering a bereavement and going through menopause I suffered anxiety attacks. I continuously felt stressed - had the shakes when I woke up, and heart palpitations ...all in all life was bad. Eventually I asked my Dr for help. He prescribed SERTRALINE ( one week 25g second week 50g). The first 2 weeks I felt as though they weren't making any difference, but after the third week the shakes and palpitations stopped. Now nearly three months later I feel so much better in every way. I sleep better ..enjoy my life again. I would recommend that anyone trying sertraline not to give up after the first two weeks if you don't feel any benefit, it does take a while to get into your system. As for side effects, I haven't had any.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 8, 2013 5:52 PM
Review by rgaw;orghoawi (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

sertraline: I have been taking it for about 6 months now. At first a few side effects here and there so started taking it at night (50mg daily). Two weeks or so later felt it begin working. Was awesome for a good 4 to 5 months and now I feel as though my anxiety is crawling its way back into my life. I'm not sure whether it is just a phase. I went up half a tablet more with my dosage but I still feel my anxiety pushing in my chest.

May 19, 2013 8:14 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

sertraline: Last night was my first night I experienced nausea and dry mouth and a feeling sensation like something was in my throat before I went to sleep. I woke up 5 hours later and I felt like I was going I have an attack because I wasn't sure what I was feeling was normal but I didn't have an attack. Normally I would but not this time and I do feel shaky but I see a lot of other people had the same effects. Seems okay so far, I just hope it helps with my anxiety for the most part I suffer from bad anxiety.

May 2, 2013 6:41 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

sertraline: I am taking Zoloft for anxiety, only problem is I always feel anxious. My heart won't relax going to lower to 25 mg. Have been on higher doses and have had racing heart.

March 30, 2013 3:16 PM
Review by Anxious Alice (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

sertraline: I started Zoloft around August In 2012, so say 8-9 months. I do remember the first week I tried taking it to bed cause a friend said it may make me sleepy. Well, it did the total opposite so I take it in the morning and it gives me a little help waking up. I have had anxiety problems ever since I was in elementary school and I can tell a difference. I'm a student, so I'm always stressed but Zoloft makes me stop worrying about it. It helps me feel more normal. I may possibly need to have a higher dose but overall, it's worth a shot to try!

March 29, 2013 8:26 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

sertraline: I have been on sertraline for 2 weeks now for anxiety/depression. It's certainly helped with anxiety, it stops that horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach. I do feel much more optimistic but I'm not out of the woods yet. I am hoping that after 4weeks of taking it (50mg once day) that things will settle even more. I struggle with over thinking/analyzing, letting my internal bully take over and being totally irrational. All of this causes severe anxiety and I lost a stone in 10 days. I'm having CBT as well which brings up a lot of raw emotion but I think (hope!) the combination of both will steer me through this.

November 8, 2012 4:48 AM
Review by Sampiey (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

sertraline: I have been taking this medication for over half a year now in 50 mg doses per day. I was originally hesitant to try medication because I am only a teenager. However, I've had anxiety, and at one point even OCD symptoms, for a very long time. Once I finally caved, my world entirely changed. I can now enjoy life and people's company, my stomach is not upset all the time anymore, and I no longer have panic attacks. The only negative thing is that it can decrease libido, but not significantly enough for me to complain much.

October 23, 2012 11:15 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

sertraline: Overall, I am very happy with Sertraline. Before I started taking this medication, I was taking Passion Flower, which is a vitamin to help with stress. Although it did work, it wasn't enough. It was at the point where I needed to be on medication for health reasons. My heart was becoming more and more irregular and my anxiety was through the roof. I am 18 years old and a college student, and with 50mg dosage of Sertraline once a day, my heart rate has been able to become regular and my stress is far less than it used to be. I definitely recommend this for anyone who has anxiety when it comes to social fear or just daily stress.

April 10, 2012 10:37 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

sertraline: I've only been using it for 4 days. Nausea was the major side effect and sleeping extremely well. The third day I got diarrhea which was a less pleasant side effect. I am 32 years old and my doctor started me on 50mg/ 1x daily. I have not had any heart palpitations or irregular heart beat since taking the medication. (I was having them before I started). I seem calmer, I feel a bit happier. My doctor recommended me using Zoloft (I'm taking the generic) because I was having panic attacks nearly every day. I hope it works as well for me as others, so far the side effects don't outweigh the benefits.

February 6, 2012 9:06 AM
Review by TX GIRL: User Rating:

sertraline: I was prescribed Sertraline a few days ago after having a severe panic attack (yet again). After explaining my family history to the doctor he concluded that my anxiety was probably caused by an underlying depression/ slight bipolar disorder that was never diagnosed or treated. As much as I tried to wish I was "normal" and denied having the same issues as many of my family members I just have to accept that I have inherited that gene. I am still nervous about being on medicines but I am hoping it helps to get my emotions under control.

January 13, 2012 6:54 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

sertraline: Before taking this I was so anxious all the time I was angry and short tempered. I had panic attacks slight depression and irrational fears. I started at 50mg and am now 100mg. I've been on this for a little more than a month. I've had every side effect there is plus I seem to gag all the time for no reason but mentally it's a night and day difference. After about 3 weeks all the side effects went away. I feel like a better person and wife all around.

November 2, 2011 3:44 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline): I love it! I have only been on the product for about two weeks now. I had an upset stomach for a week initially; which is now a mild ache. It has curbed my snacking which may have been from depression, but no weight loss (yet). A side from that, I have no anxiety or it's very minimal. I am taking 50mg and don't feel doped up. I even rose my hand and asked questions during a meeting which I never use to do without severe stress and anxiety. I don't have the "what if" in traffic and have more confidence in myself. It kills anxiety if you are a true sufferer, but it also kills your libido.

November 2, 2011 10:31 AM
Review by K10: User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline): I started taking Zoloft after experiencing physical symptoms of anxiety at random moments and cyclical mood swings with depression that had a very strong physical component (I had nothing to be sad about I just ached and couldn't get out of bed or smile) The first week I took it I felt like I was in a complete fog. I lost my appetite, had upset stomach and it messed up my sleep. Once my body adjusted (about 2 weeks) I had more energy, was more engaging with my friends and family and the physical symptoms subsided. After about 3 months I moved and lost my medicines and stopped abruptly. The depression and anxiety came back tenfold because I didn't wean myself off. I felt overwhelmed with life. Zoloft works great but it's very powerful.

November 1, 2011 1:34 PM
Review by Ryan22: User Rating:

Zoloft (sertraline): This did help me with depression a few years ago, but my doctor tried to put me back on it for anxiety this time and I immediately felt the side effects that I really didn't pinpoint to this at the time but after just two doses this time around they were EXACTLY as I remembered. Diarrhea and an inability to relax. The diarrhea was horrible, when I would eat out I would have to be by a bathroom, I found myself looking around for a restroom. I thought it was me but I now know it was in fact the Zoloft. Put me in some very embarrassing situations and it kept me from eating out. The inability to relax was quite bad, felt depressed. Thinking back I just hate it that I had to take this medicine, I should have taken it for a few months not a year.

October 29, 2011 10:00 PM