User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Sertraline review summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 8 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Anxiety and Stress

Review by C.Angela:

I have been taking Sertraline (Zoloft) for two years now. I am the happiest person in the world, and nothing is stopping me! I am a differant person from two years ago. Thank you!

September 17, 2014 3:48 PM

Review by lokoroy:

Good.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 13, 2014 4:14 AM

Review by Chickieboom (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was under huge amounts of stress. Divorce, Lost my home my car and no child support. Then 2 of my kids left for college. I went on like this for 3 years and finally broke down. I couldn't function I couldn't go out in public, I hated life, l felt like the worst person in the world and wanted to die. I finally went to the doc. She gave me 50mg and it made my anxiety sky rocket...helped my depression though. Cut me back to 25mg No luck, went back to 50mg with Ativan as needed. Finally after 2 months I went up to 100 mg with clonazepam as needed and now I am depression and anxiety free and no more clonazepam. No more negative ruminating thoughts, no more feelings of worthlessness. It has brought me back to life which I have not felt for YEARS!

June 17, 2014 8:32 AM

Review by Onehappygal:

I have suffered from SEVERE PMS for years. I am a very positive upbeat person. I hate the fact that my PMS caused me such stress. I couldn't think clearly, would fly off the handle and nothing. My husband and children felt the effects of it each month. I just wanted to run far far away and jump out of my skin. I couldn't handle it anymore. After explaining this to my PCP, she thought Zoloft would help me. Advised me to take 25 mg for 7 days, then increase to 50mg. I'm not kidding you, after 2 days I saw a huge change. I finally had energy! It has been 2 months now and I never increased to 50mg. The 25mg did the trick! I no longer have PMS. I think clearer than I have in years. My mind doesn't race. I'm calm and I have my life back. Thank God!

June 7, 2014 2:24 PM

Review by Olivex:

I have been taking sertraline since October of 2013 (eight months). I started out with a low dosage (25mg I believe) and slowly worked my way up to 75mg. It did take some time for the anxiety to really be drowned out but it has done wonders for me. I remember the day I went to the doctors, feeling fed up that my anxiety had really taken control of my life- work, school, relationships were all negatively affected by it. I was crying everyday at this point. I lost my father to cancer and the battle was very hard on me for three years. The sertraline has done wonders for me. I honestly feel like myself again- I do not feel any "high" or anything that I would not want to feel. I honestly appreciate this medicine as it has saved my life.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 6, 2014 10:12 AM

Review by thigk1:

Prescribed Mirtazapine 18 months for mild depression. I started panicking and depression worsened, I became hyper anxious.I was lucky to get a different Dr when I turned up hysterical at the surgery. He took me off mirtazapine and moved me gradually onto sertraline. Horrific. I couldn't eat or sleep, I paced for hours in circles. For 12 weeks I was a suicide focused unstable shaking retching mess. I lost 2 stone. I was given a preset dose of diazepam and lorazepam at intervals throughout the day. My husband or mother shuttled me backwards and forwards so I was never left alone. Gradually we built up the dosage of sertraline to 200mg and stopped the benzos . I don't feel anxiety or depression, I feel fantastic, confident, energetic, happy

April 30, 2014 3:06 PM

Review by lanners (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I'm 15 and since elementary school I've had anxiety. In December 2013 it started getting severe to the point where I couldn't get any work done or fall asleep for hours. I was extremely concerned about my heart because my chest was hurting and I was having heart palpitations (which worried me more). I finally went to a psychologist mid-February and started Zoloft 25 mg a day for the first week. Now I'm on 50mg/day. I have never been happier. My life has completely turned around, I function like a normal person and I never worry about my heart anymore. I started noticing the Zoloft working at the beginning of the second week. Only side effect: decreased appetite for first few weeks, but 100% back to normal now. Zoloft truly changed my life.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 29, 2014 5:47 PM

Review by Suzucki (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Sertraline has helped my life move on for the better. I was giving up on life, but gradually over 6 weeks I feel different and more interested and motivated to enjoy life. My dose is now 100mgs, so please stick with it.

March 19, 2014 1:02 PM

Review by DCINIA45 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I've scrolled through about 3 pages of comments but I have failed to find one of the side effects I'm now thankfully free of. I had an INSATIABLE appetite for sugar, namely chocolate. But if none happened to be available and I was desperate, I'd just pour a cup of sugar and eat it with a spoon. I actually lost weight during the time I took it, but every evening I'd need to eat enough sugar for 10 people to curb the craving. Secondly, it was TERRIBLE for sex drive. Absolutely horrid. Overall this medicine was helpful for me, I'm in the process of dosing down now. which IS an awful process. Make sure to do what your doctor says. I'm doing it the right way and still have insomnia, rapid heart beat and brain zaps.

February 13, 2014 12:42 AM

Review by Quags (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Sertraline wasn't an awful medication by any means, but it just wasn't for me. Curbed my appetitie and I'm already very thin. Helped with some symptoms but not all. More effective for day-to-day problems likely.

January 8, 2014 8:08 PM

Review by Joeym7 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Hi, I was taking Citalopram and had the initial doses there from 10 to 20 to 30mg for GAD. I'm not sure what triggered the anxiety but alcohol definitely makes it worse. I hated Citalopram as it often left me lethargic, and made my anxiety worse. I have been on Sertraline for about 6 weeks and I did notice an initial improvement but now I feel like my anxiety is taking its toll again. I am currently taking 50mg but I'm unsure whether to increase to 100mg or switch to a different SSRI. Please can people share their views with me? I'm a 24 year old male and I'm eager to get on with life, but it just feels like my anxiety is the elephant in the room. Thank you in advance and good luck everyone.

November 11, 2013 4:35 PM

Review by teresacv:

I began taking sertraline to help with panic attacks, depression, and anxiety. These symptoms were the affect of an unhealthy work environment and having lost 3 immediate family members within 6 months. I began taking 25mg and felt no change. After a month and a half my doctor increased it to 50mg. I went from being angry all the time to crying all the time. We then increased the dosage 75mg and that has done the trick. I can not believe how well this medication works. I am more positive, HAPPY, and able to handle an extremely difficult working environment! I have not felt this good in years!

138 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 22, 2013 3:00 PM

Review by Lucy57:

I had situational depression and was started on 50mg of Zoloft. It helped within a few weeks, but I had some major diarrhea when I started which seemed to start resolving itself, then I was upped to 75 mg and the diarrhea started again. It's been 10 months in total, and I still have episodes of diarrhea a few times a day for a few days. Then for a day or two I will be fine. I've lost about 19 pounds due to the appetite suppression effects and the diarrhea. I've also noticed a loss of libido but these are side effects I'm willing to live with as opposed to the depression. I am having my recommended at age 50 for screening purposes colonoscopy soon and am sure the diarrhea is not a cause for concern. We will find out.

October 21, 2013 4:28 PM

Review by heyamykate (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I have been on Zoloft (sertraline) for a little over a year. It has made a huge difference in my quality of life - I no longer have constant anxiety or am paralyzed by inability to make a decision. I was afraid that it would make me feel like a zombie or feel emotionless, but instead I just feel much more in control and able to move on from things like a normal person. I was worried about weight gain on this, but my doc combined it with Wellbutrin to help with my depression and offset the Zoloft side effects, and it turned out to be a perfect combo!

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 15, 2013 10:50 AM

Review by Stal (taken for less than 1 month):

I suffered from severe driving anxiety. Got to the point that I had to get my wife to do all the highway driving. Symptoms were lightheadedness, imbalanced, heart palpitations. I started Sertraline 4 weeks ago (50Mg). I have noticed a remarkable improvement. Back to doing all the highway driving, passing trucks able to stay in the fast lane with lots of traffic. One side effect however is daily diarrhea. Follow up this week with my doctor.

September 3, 2013 12:27 PM

Review by Lainey91 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have been on sertraline for about 2 months now. My doctor prescribed them 4 months ago but I was very reluctant to take them as I had read that the side effects could be pretty awful. For the first week I didn't feel great at all, mainly restlessness and slightly heightened anxiety but after the week they fully wore off I found it took about 5-6 weeks until I really noticed a change in my mood but I definitely feel loads better than I did before I started sertraline. I was prescribed 50mg to start off with and yesterday got prescribed 100mg as I still don't feel completely myself yet, but I do feel a million times better. I haven't taken 100mg yet as I am scared I get worsened side effects but I am going to try them tonight.

August 14, 2013 4:57 PM

Review by TJe:

I'm 13, this works very well. I've had anxiety for the longest time. This is the perfect medicine. I haven't been having anxiety attacks anymore.

August 1, 2013 3:38 PM

Review by LUCKYLADY123:

After suffering a bereavement and going through menopause I suffered anxiety attacks. I continuously felt stressed - had the shakes when I woke up, and heart palpitations ...all in all life was bad. Eventually I asked my Dr for help. He prescribed SERTRALINE ( one week 25g second week 50g). The first 2 weeks I felt as though they weren't making any difference, but after the third week the shakes and palpitations stopped. Now nearly three months later I feel so much better in every way. I sleep better ..enjoy my life again. I would recommend that anyone trying sertraline not to give up after the first two weeks if you don't feel any benefit, it does take a while to get into your system. As for side effects, I haven't had any.

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 8, 2013 5:52 PM

Review by rgaw;orghoawi (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I have been taking it for about 6 months now. At first a few side effects here and there so started taking it at night (50mg daily). Two weeks or so later felt it begin working. Was awesome for a good 4 to 5 months and now I feel as though my anxiety is crawling its way back into my life. I'm not sure whether it is just a phase. I went up half a tablet more with my dosage but I still feel my anxiety pushing in my chest.

May 19, 2013 8:14 AM

Last night was my first night I experienced nausea and dry mouth and a feeling sensation like something was in my throat before I went to sleep. I woke up 5 hours later and I felt like I was going I have an attack because I wasn't sure what I was feeling was normal but I didn't have an attack. Normally I would but not this time and I do feel shaky but I see a lot of other people had the same effects. Seems okay so far, I just hope it helps with my anxiety for the most part I suffer from bad anxiety.

May 2, 2013 6:41 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I am taking Zoloft for anxiety, only problem is I always feel anxious. My heart won't relax going to lower to 25 mg. Have been on higher doses and have had racing heart.

March 30, 2013 3:16 PM

Review by Anxious Alice (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I started Zoloft around August In 2012, so say 8-9 months. I do remember the first week I tried taking it to bed cause a friend said it may make me sleepy. Well, it did the total opposite so I take it in the morning and it gives me a little help waking up. I have had anxiety problems ever since I was in elementary school and I can tell a difference. I'm a student, so I'm always stressed but Zoloft makes me stop worrying about it. It helps me feel more normal. I may possibly need to have a higher dose but overall, it's worth a shot to try!

March 29, 2013 8:26 PM

I have been on sertraline for 2 weeks now for anxiety/depression. It's certainly helped with anxiety, it stops that horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach. I do feel much more optimistic but I'm not out of the woods yet. I am hoping that after 4weeks of taking it (50mg once day) that things will settle even more. I struggle with over thinking/analyzing, letting my internal bully take over and being totally irrational. All of this causes severe anxiety and I lost a stone in 10 days. I'm having CBT as well which brings up a lot of raw emotion but I think (hope!) the combination of both will steer me through this.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 8, 2012 4:48 AM

Review by Sampiey (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I have been taking this medication for over half a year now in 50 mg doses per day. I was originally hesitant to try medication because I am only a teenager. However, I've had anxiety, and at one point even OCD symptoms, for a very long time. Once I finally caved, my world entirely changed. I can now enjoy life and people's company, my stomach is not upset all the time anymore, and I no longer have panic attacks. The only negative thing is that it can decrease libido, but not significantly enough for me to complain much.

October 23, 2012 11:15 PM

Overall, I am very happy with Sertraline. Before I started taking this medication, I was taking Passion Flower, which is a vitamin to help with stress. Although it did work, it wasn't enough. It was at the point where I needed to be on medication for health reasons. My heart was becoming more and more irregular and my anxiety was through the roof. I am 18 years old and a college student, and with 50mg dosage of Sertraline once a day, my heart rate has been able to become regular and my stress is far less than it used to be. I definitely recommend this for anyone who has anxiety when it comes to social fear or just daily stress.

April 10, 2012 10:37 PM