Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Omeprazole

Also known as: Omesec, Prilosec, Prilosec OTC, Zegerid (Original Formulation)

Learn more about Omeprazole.

Omeprazole review summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 146 medications used in the treatment of GERD.

Reviews for Omeprazole to treat GERD

Review by hirmil (taken for 10 years or more):

I have taken low dose omeprozole for the last 20 years. I am a bit concerned about long term usage. I have been getting leg pain and I heard it's not good long term on your bone health.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 23, 2015 9:32 AM

Review by kellyj_1:

I have suffered with acid reflux (inflammation) for over one year, which affected my life massively. I was at my wits end, I completely changed my lifestyle (diet) cutting out all spicy foods (which I love) swapping for yogurts, lots of vegetables and probiotics, helped a little but I'd still suffer with acid reflux every single day. In the end I felt depressed and unable to feel happy. I had an infection called "H pylori" which I feel caused me serious health issues including deficiencies with B12 and folic acid as well as many many more health issues. Anyways in short I've recently been prescribed Esomeprazole 20 mg and OMG within one day I felt miles better, reflux gone and so much stomach relief- this medicine really did help me hugely.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 17, 2015 9:23 AM

Review by Stacy88:

Prilosec (omeprazole): Doc prescribed this for me but I didn't think it would help, since my main symptoms of shortness of breath and chest tightness and rarely heartburn. Left it in the cabinet for months until recurring stomach pains landed me in the ER. All blood tests, urine tests, and ultrasounds came back normal and once again my doc suggested the Prilosec. Finally caved. I kid you not, within the first day my stomach pains disappeared. I had the best nights sleep the first few days that I could remember, realizing it was actually heartburn waking me up (I contributed my early wakings to anxiety or poor sleep habits). Absolutely no side effects. I can eat whatever I want. I feel like a new person after one week. Hoping this lasts once my 14 days are up!

January 31, 2015 1:01 PM

Review by Trippyking42033 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This is GREAT Medicine I have been using it for a few months now due to BAD heartburn & it works great! So far I don't think I have been experiencing any negative side effects I do believe once It gave me Constipation but it could have been poor diet but Overall GREAT Medicine IF you suffer from HORRIBLE ACID REFLUX!

January 17, 2015 10:24 AM

Review by desiraejb (taken for less than 1 month):

Best thing I have used, I started a few days ago and am feeling much better after weeks of horrible reflex. No side effects noticed except feeling like a new person.

December 22, 2014 7:12 PM

Review by john r... (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Prilosec (omeprazole): This medicine saved my life. I was in pain and miserable. Tried all the OTC stuff Zantac, Pepcid, Previced, and many others with no success. Then I tried omeprazole and within day's I was better. Great medicine. Would definitely recommend.

August 8, 2014 12:40 AM

Review by boydgilbreath (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Prilosec (omeprazole): Its the best PPI I've tried.

November 4, 2013 9:33 AM

Review by Kelly12121:

I take this medicine every morning, if I miss one I suffer all day. I want to come off this medicine as I have been on it for over 4 years now. I am 21.

October 17, 2013 7:05 AM

Review by janes7 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Prilosec (omeprazole): A great medicine. I'm on 40 mg daily due to the feeling of my food being stuck in my throat. It was so bad at one time that I purposely made myself vomit for relief. After having my esophagus looked at - and finding out I also have a small hiatal hernia, doctor said my "flapper" doesn't close, or stay closed. So here I am religiously taking this medicine and mostly loving life. If you miss a day you will again feel miserable. I will say that over the years I have experienced "breakthrough" reflux at one time or another but never for a second day. Very happy.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 26, 2013 11:39 AM

Review by Dan'l:

Prilosec (omeprazole): I have been taking Prilosec for several years and I take one with water every morning about 30 minutes before I get up and it has totally eliminated any burning in my chest/esophagus. Also, I learned not to eat any Mexican or spicy food within 3 -4 hours before going to bed.

July 27, 2013 7:58 AM

Review by Krish99:

I was taking Omeprazole 20 mg/day continuously since 10/2012 for acid Reflux. There was no appreciable effect felt. 2 months back my doctor increased to 1 tablet of 40mg/day. I found good improvement in my appetite and acid reflux problem. But 1 week back onwards I have shortness of breadth even with light work and I could not lie flat. I saw the result of a survey on this website and I am 68. I want to ask doctor again immediately.

July 22, 2013 5:31 PM

Review by anomymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been taking it for 4 days and on the 3rd day my nose started running all day. Also, I had sneezing and now a sore throat and cough that hurts. My GERD was so bad that I had a "cobblestone" throat and it was hard to swallow some foods. Supposed to be on it for 2 months. Hope it gets better. Dry mouth at night and rapid heart beat are no fun either.

June 16, 2013 5:30 PM

Review by Masterdiver50 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

After taking Omeprazole 2 mg every day for 4 years, my last throat scope showed no more GERD problems and my doctor took me off the medication. During the 4 years, I never suffered any ill side effects.

June 8, 2013 7:09 PM

Review by Grandma S (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Prilosec (omeprazole): Prilosec has worked for me 90 percent of the time for the past eight years. My one and only complaint is: Why does it have to be packaged like it is gold. First a large box with three smaller boxes in that and then the pills individually sealed in foil sheets. What a pain to get all this open and just think of the amount of waste to the landfills. I called the company and they said they do this packaging for safety reasons. Many, many more dangerous other meds are not packaged like this. Please get those pills into a bottle.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 7, 2013 8:45 PM

Review by whimpywall:

Prilosec (omeprazole): Prilosec has always worked for me since I went off Nexium but I recently tried the flavored one and I can no longer take just one pill a day to keep the burning away....so off to the store today to get my regular Prilosec since I have finally finished the flavored box. No more of the flavored one for me.

February 4, 2013 12:00 PM

Review by riverbrat:

I was taking Pepcid before for GERD and indigestion twice a day for several years. The night episodes started becoming more frequent lately, so my doctor switched me to Prilosec. After a week, I was getting a sore throat constantly, constipation, and lots of stomach gas. This is day 11, and I stopped taking the Prilosec. I took a Pepcid AC last night to get some relief, and slept well.

October 31, 2012 11:19 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Prilosec OTC (omeprazole): It worked well to eliminate reflux symptoms, but forced to discontinue use as made me too dizzy, lightheaded, and sometime naseaus. To the point of not feeling comfortable enough to drive.

October 3, 2012 9:28 AM

Review by jaimer123 (taken for less than 1 month):

Within 12 hours of taking this medication I got the chills, dizziness and stomach cramps and extreme dry mouth. Within 2 hours of taking my second dose I experienced anxiety, swelling of the tongue, throat and glands, continued dizziness and extreme dry mouth and thirst, frequent urination and stomach camps.

August 23, 2012 4:20 PM

Prilosec OTC (omeprazole): My doctor prescribed Protonix which worked most of the time and every now and then I would take a Tums. Then my doctor left and I didn't request a refill soon enough, so I decided to try Prilosec OTC. My GERD disappeared after the first day. I took it daily for 14 days as described on the box and never had a problem at all. My GERD pain is coming back though, so I will be buying another box.

August 7, 2012 5:04 PM

Review by TheRainGrrl (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I had issues every day before. Now, I have almost NO issues, and have noticed no side effects.

July 24, 2012 10:31 AM

Review by TheRainGrrl:

I had acid reflux constantly. Now, NO more heartburn or reflux!

July 24, 2012 9:07 AM

Prilosec (omeprazole): This medicine did not work for me at all. Even with dietary changes I would have occasional flare ups.

April 5, 2012 5:07 PM

Review by gerdlady:

Was put on this for GERD what a lifesaver. Feel great, have had no problems with this medicine. Take it once a day in the mornings and can just about eat a normal meal now without all the problems of acid reflux!

October 21, 2011 3:44 AM

Review by XmyXoneXandXonlyX:

Prilosec (omeprazole): I am on 40mg of Prilosec for GERD and I have zero heartburn 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Do not forget to take a dose or else the fire monster comes up your throat.

October 11, 2011 10:57 PM

Review by teresabzie:

Prilosec (omeprazole): I started taking Prilosec over 6 years ago. It was very effective at helping with the acid and GERD symptoms, however my Doctor prescribed two tablets a day (Over recommended dosage-due to seriousness of Gerd). I seem to be fine until I started getting horrible spasms in my sides and intestines. I broke my ankle in March and the spasms were bad and the spasms worsened. I had my calcium checked and I was dangerously low. We backed down to 1 Prilosec and the spasms disappeared. So watch your calcium with higher doses.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 8, 2011 11:18 PM