User Reviews for Omeprazole

Also known as: Omesec, Prilosec, Prilosec OTC, Zegerid (Original Formulation)

Learn more about Omeprazole.

Omeprazole Review Summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 145 medications used in the treatment of GERD.

Reviews for Omeprazole to treat GERD

Prilosec (omeprazole): "This stuff works great with no side effects. I had my gallbladder removed and was suffering from GERD. My doctor prescribed me this. Now I can eat whatever I want with no heartburn."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 22, 2015

"I was prescribed this medication approximately 4 years ago. I experienced severe heartburn and reflux, so much so that I had to sleep with the head of my bed elevated. I filled the prescription but left it in the medicine cabinet for a year without taking one pill. A year after filling it I made a dental appointment because I noticed that the enamel on my teeth was flaking off. The dentist asked me if I had GERD. I said, yes and then he asked me if I was on anything for it. I told him no and he suggested I take something immediately. Turns out the GERD eroded the enamel off of 17 teeth and I had to have extensive dental work done, to the tune of $20K. Expensive lesson to learn but one learned nonetheless. No side effects whatsoever."

Franipants June 16, 2015

"Twelve year old child took 20mg/once day and felt nauseated, dizzy, with headache, sun sensitivity, and restless. Took for one month. Experience rebound when withdrawn. Went to half dose for once week before completely discontinuing."

mom2015 May 14, 2015

"I have taken low dose omeprozole for the last 20 years. I am a bit concerned about long term usage. I have been getting leg pain and I heard it's not good long term on your bone health."

hirmil (taken for 10 years or more) March 23, 2015

"I have suffered with acid reflux (inflammation) for over one year, which affected my life massively. I was at my wits end, I completely changed my lifestyle (diet) cutting out all spicy foods (which I love) swapping for yogurts, lots of vegetables and probiotics, helped a little but I'd still suffer with acid reflux every single day. In the end I felt depressed and unable to feel happy. I had an infection called "H pylori" which I feel caused me serious health issues including deficiencies with B12 and folic acid as well as many many more health issues. Anyways in short I've recently been prescribed Esomeprazole 20 mg and OMG within one day I felt miles better, reflux gone and so much stomach relief- this medicine really did help me hugely."

kellyj_1 March 17, 2015

Prilosec (omeprazole): "Doc prescribed this for me but I didn't think it would help, since my main symptoms of shortness of breath and chest tightness and rarely heartburn. Left it in the cabinet for months until recurring stomach pains landed me in the ER. All blood tests, urine tests, and ultrasounds came back normal and once again my doc suggested the Prilosec. Finally caved. I kid you not, within the first day my stomach pains disappeared. I had the best nights sleep the first few days that I could remember, realizing it was actually heartburn waking me up (I contributed my early wakings to anxiety or poor sleep habits). Absolutely no side effects. I can eat whatever I want. I feel like a new person after one week. Hoping this lasts once my 14 days are up!"

Stacy88 January 31, 2015

"This is GREAT Medicine I have been using it for a few months now due to BAD heartburn & it works great! So far I don't think I have been experiencing any negative side effects I do believe once It gave me Constipation but it could have been poor diet but Overall GREAT Medicine IF you suffer from HORRIBLE ACID REFLUX!"

Trippyking42033 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 17, 2015

"Best thing I have used, I started a few days ago and am feeling much better after weeks of horrible reflex. No side effects noticed except feeling like a new person."

desiraejb (taken for less than 1 month) December 22, 2014

Prilosec (omeprazole): "This medicine saved my life. I was in pain and miserable. Tried all the OTC stuff Zantac, Pepcid, Previced, and many others with no success. Then I tried omeprazole and within day's I was better. Great medicine. Would definitely recommend."

john r... (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 8, 2014

Prilosec (omeprazole): "Its the best PPI I've tried."

boydgilbreath (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 4, 2013

"I take this medicine every morning, if I miss one I suffer all day. I want to come off this medicine as I have been on it for over 4 years now. I am 21."

Kelly12121 October 17, 2013

Prilosec (omeprazole): "A great medicine. I'm on 40 mg daily due to the feeling of my food being stuck in my throat. It was so bad at one time that I purposely made myself vomit for relief. After having my esophagus looked at - and finding out I also have a small hiatal hernia, doctor said my "flapper" doesn't close, or stay closed. So here I am religiously taking this medicine and mostly loving life. If you miss a day you will again feel miserable. I will say that over the years I have experienced "breakthrough" reflux at one time or another but never for a second day. Very happy."

janes7 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 26, 2013

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Prilosec (omeprazole): "I have been taking Prilosec for several years and I take one with water every morning about 30 minutes before I get up and it has totally eliminated any burning in my chest/esophagus. Also, I learned not to eat any Mexican or spicy food within 3 -4 hours before going to bed."

Dan'l July 27, 2013

"I was taking Omeprazole 20 mg/day continuously since 10/2012 for acid Reflux. There was no appreciable effect felt. 2 months back my doctor increased to 1 tablet of 40mg/day. I found good improvement in my appetite and acid reflux problem. But 1 week back onwards I have shortness of breadth even with light work and I could not lie flat. I saw the result of a survey on this website and I am 68. I want to ask doctor again immediately."

Krish99 July 22, 2013

"I have been taking it for 4 days and on the 3rd day my nose started running all day. Also, I had sneezing and now a sore throat and cough that hurts. My GERD was so bad that I had a "cobblestone" throat and it was hard to swallow some foods. Supposed to be on it for 2 months. Hope it gets better. Dry mouth at night and rapid heart beat are no fun either."

anomymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2013

"After taking Omeprazole 2 mg every day for 4 years, my last throat scope showed no more GERD problems and my doctor took me off the medication. During the 4 years, I never suffered any ill side effects."

Masterdiver50 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 8, 2013

Prilosec (omeprazole): "Prilosec has worked for me 90 percent of the time for the past eight years. My one and only complaint is: Why does it have to be packaged like it is gold. First a large box with three smaller boxes in that and then the pills individually sealed in foil sheets. What a pain to get all this open and just think of the amount of waste to the landfills. I called the company and they said they do this packaging for safety reasons. Many, many more dangerous other meds are not packaged like this. Please get those pills into a bottle."

Grandma S (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 7, 2013

Prilosec (omeprazole): "Prilosec has always worked for me since I went off Nexium but I recently tried the flavored one and I can no longer take just one pill a day to keep the burning away....so off to the store today to get my regular Prilosec since I have finally finished the flavored box. No more of the flavored one for me."

whimpywall February 4, 2013

"I was taking Pepcid before for GERD and indigestion twice a day for several years. The night episodes started becoming more frequent lately, so my doctor switched me to Prilosec. After a week, I was getting a sore throat constantly, constipation, and lots of stomach gas. This is day 11, and I stopped taking the Prilosec. I took a Pepcid AC last night to get some relief, and slept well."

riverbrat October 31, 2012

Prilosec OTC (omeprazole): "It worked well to eliminate reflux symptoms, but forced to discontinue use as made me too dizzy, lightheaded, and sometime naseaus. To the point of not feeling comfortable enough to drive."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 3, 2012

"Within 12 hours of taking this medication I got the chills, dizziness and stomach cramps and extreme dry mouth. Within 2 hours of taking my second dose I experienced anxiety, swelling of the tongue, throat and glands, continued dizziness and extreme dry mouth and thirst, frequent urination and stomach camps."

jaimer123 (taken for less than 1 month) August 23, 2012

Prilosec OTC (omeprazole): "My doctor prescribed Protonix which worked most of the time and every now and then I would take a Tums. Then my doctor left and I didn't request a refill soon enough, so I decided to try Prilosec OTC. My GERD disappeared after the first day. I took it daily for 14 days as described on the box and never had a problem at all. My GERD pain is coming back though, so I will be buying another box."

Anonymous August 7, 2012

"I had issues every day before. Now, I have almost NO issues, and have noticed no side effects."

TheRainGrrl (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 24, 2012

"I had acid reflux constantly. Now, NO more heartburn or reflux!"

TheRainGrrl July 24, 2012

Prilosec (omeprazole): "This medicine did not work for me at all. Even with dietary changes I would have occasional flare ups."

Anonymous April 5, 2012