User Reviews for Omeprazole

Also known as: Omesec, Prilosec, Prilosec OTC, Zegerid (Original Formulation)

Learn more about Omeprazole.

Omeprazole Rating Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 144 medications used in the treatment of GERD.

Reviews for Omeprazole to treat GERD

"I had h pylori so after finishing the tripple therapy i was put on ompeezole 20 mg per day. This my third month. I had depression and anxiety. Dry mouth night sweat genral weakness sometimes I feel like my body is shaking from inside i never had these issues before. I am confused is it side effect of this medicine or I am really going crazy"

Tired of beeing sick (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 26, 2016

"I have had ZERO heartburn and indigestion with this medication!! I am very happy with it and hope to continue to get the same results!"

Angela16 March 21, 2016

"Doctor put me on this (20mg) because I told him I had really bad heartburn that wouldn't go away. Started taking it and felt immediate relief from the acid coming back up in my esophagus. I didnt really have any feelings of heartburn while on it. The only problems I experienced were a little indigestion in the beginning, like there wasn't enough acid in my stomach to digest to food properly. So make sure you chew your food really good and sip water with your food here and there. My bowels were okay, it just looked like my food wasnt 100% digested and that maybe I didnt abosrb all of the nutrients from the food. But it is well worth it because after a month of taking it, I stopped completely, and have only had heartburn a few times since then"

itsok March 18, 2016

"I do have the same problem in taking omeprazole. when i take that medicine i always encounter palpitation and right chest pain like a heart burn and normally blocking nose.I only take gaviscon right now. it effects after 2 hours then my reflux subside. But still on and off situation."

leahcim07 March 14, 2016

"Helped my acid reflux, I was taking medium and Jan, 2016 my insurance no longer covered, My doctor put me on omeprazole 40 mg 1aday, Did good for a couple of weeks. Then I started waking up at night with heart palpitations and skipped beat's. I didn't know why, Then the only thing I changed was talking the omeprazole, so I stopped taking it to see if that was causing my palpitations, Sure enough in about a week with out taking the omeprazole, my palpitations and skipped Heart Beat's went away. Now my acid reflux is back. Now I have to do something better."

Kay lee (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2016

"I've had mostly positive experiences with Omeprazole and much prefer them over H2-receptor antagonists like Ranitidine. I was working a 5 day a week job but GERD meant I was only capable of working 2-3 of those days. Within a week of starting PPI therapy I was working the full week and within a couple of months felt fit and healthy enough to take on overtime to the tune of 13 days on shift, 1 day off. I've read about things such as calcium, magnesium, iron and vitamin b12 deficiency so I take supplements to boost those levels and stave off any unwanted, long term side effects. As far as short term side effects go I've had some minor constipation from it, some minor aversion to light and a couple of tension headaches in the first 2 months."

George T Hartfiel December 10, 2015

"I began taking Omeprazole a few years ago due to Gerd. Recently I was diagnosed with IBS with constipation, some cramping, pain. I had an Upper GI (EGD), polyps were found in the body of stomach and fundus and also gastric polyps were found. Luckily results were good, not the pre-c type. Doctors should be made to have to give you a warning about this before starting the medication. I'm going to wean myself off of this poison."

BreeG (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 31, 2015

Prilosec (omeprazole): "I love this stuff. Ended my reflux and perpetual sore throat. I was thankful for how quickly it worked. Now to the packaging! These pills are nearly inaccessible in the packaging they come in. I use a scissor to open the pockets where the pills are incased and then store the pills in a small bottle."

RickieMH August 12, 2015

Prilosec (omeprazole): "I have taken Prilosec for over 15yrs. It works great for the heartburn/reflux/gerd. But let me tell you what it took away from me! It dropped my iron and my iron stores to the bottom, it also took my B12 to the bottom. It also after years of taking it gave me anxiety, cramping of muscles and lead to my potassium being low as well. Then most recently I kept having a horrible burning in my stomach, well guess what Prilosec gave me most of all! A stomach full of gastric polyps!! So now I have weaned myself off this horrible medicine cause gastric polyps are a side effect of it and no one tells you! And if you keep taking it , well guess what it makes even more in your stomach once it starts!! So I weaned myself off it, took over a month"

justme74 July 24, 2015

Prilosec (omeprazole): "This stuff works great with no side effects. I had my gallbladder removed and was suffering from GERD. My doctor prescribed me this. Now I can eat whatever I want with no heartburn."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 22, 2015

"I was prescribed this medication approximately 4 years ago. I experienced severe heartburn and reflux, so much so that I had to sleep with the head of my bed elevated. I filled the prescription but left it in the medicine cabinet for a year without taking one pill. A year after filling it I made a dental appointment because I noticed that the enamel on my teeth was flaking off. The dentist asked me if I had GERD. I said, yes and then he asked me if I was on anything for it. I told him no and he suggested I take something immediately. Turns out the GERD eroded the enamel off of 17 teeth and I had to have extensive dental work done, to the tune of $20K. Expensive lesson to learn but one learned nonetheless. No side effects whatsoever."

Franipants June 16, 2015

"Twelve year old child took 20mg/once day and felt nauseated, dizzy, with headache, sun sensitivity, and restless. Took for one month. Experience rebound when withdrawn. Went to half dose for once week before completely discontinuing."

mom2015 May 14, 2015

"I have taken low dose omeprozole for the last 20 years. I am a bit concerned about long term usage. I have been getting leg pain and I heard it's not good long term on your bone health."

hirmil (taken for 10 years or more) March 23, 2015

"I have suffered with acid reflux (inflammation) for over one year, which affected my life massively. I was at my wits end, I completely changed my lifestyle (diet) cutting out all spicy foods (which I love) swapping for yogurts, lots of vegetables and probiotics, helped a little but I'd still suffer with acid reflux every single day. In the end I felt depressed and unable to feel happy. I had an infection called "H pylori" which I feel caused me serious health issues including deficiencies with B12 and folic acid as well as many many more health issues. Anyways in short I've recently been prescribed Esomeprazole 20 mg and OMG within one day I felt miles better, reflux gone and so much stomach relief- this medicine really did help me hugely."

kellyj_1 March 17, 2015

Prilosec (omeprazole): "Doc prescribed this for me but I didn't think it would help, since my main symptoms of shortness of breath and chest tightness and rarely heartburn. Left it in the cabinet for months until recurring stomach pains landed me in the ER. All blood tests, urine tests, and ultrasounds came back normal and once again my doc suggested the Prilosec. Finally caved. I kid you not, within the first day my stomach pains disappeared. I had the best nights sleep the first few days that I could remember, realizing it was actually heartburn waking me up (I contributed my early wakings to anxiety or poor sleep habits). Absolutely no side effects. I can eat whatever I want. I feel like a new person after one week. Hoping this lasts once my 14 days are up!"

Stacy88 January 31, 2015

"This is GREAT Medicine I have been using it for a few months now due to BAD heartburn & it works great! So far I don't think I have been experiencing any negative side effects I do believe once It gave me Constipation but it could have been poor diet but Overall GREAT Medicine IF you suffer from HORRIBLE ACID REFLUX!"

Trippyking42033 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 17, 2015

"Best thing I have used, I started a few days ago and am feeling much better after weeks of horrible reflex. No side effects noticed except feeling like a new person."

desiraejb (taken for less than 1 month) December 22, 2014

Prilosec (omeprazole): "This medicine saved my life. I was in pain and miserable. Tried all the OTC stuff Zantac, Pepcid, Previced, and many others with no success. Then I tried omeprazole and within day's I was better. Great medicine. Would definitely recommend."

john r... (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 8, 2014

Prilosec (omeprazole): "Its the best PPI I've tried."

boydgilbreath (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 4, 2013

"I take this medicine every morning, if I miss one I suffer all day. I want to come off this medicine as I have been on it for over 4 years now. I am 21."

Kelly12121 October 17, 2013

Prilosec (omeprazole): "A great medicine. I'm on 40 mg daily due to the feeling of my food being stuck in my throat. It was so bad at one time that I purposely made myself vomit for relief. After having my esophagus looked at - and finding out I also have a small hiatal hernia, doctor said my "flapper" doesn't close, or stay closed. So here I am religiously taking this medicine and mostly loving life. If you miss a day you will again feel miserable. I will say that over the years I have experienced "breakthrough" reflux at one time or another but never for a second day. Very happy."

janes7 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 26, 2013

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Prilosec (omeprazole): "I have been taking Prilosec for several years and I take one with water every morning about 30 minutes before I get up and it has totally eliminated any burning in my chest/esophagus. Also, I learned not to eat any Mexican or spicy food within 3 -4 hours before going to bed."

Dan'l July 27, 2013

"I was taking Omeprazole 20 mg/day continuously since 10/2012 for acid Reflux. There was no appreciable effect felt. 2 months back my doctor increased to 1 tablet of 40mg/day. I found good improvement in my appetite and acid reflux problem. But 1 week back onwards I have shortness of breadth even with light work and I could not lie flat. I saw the result of a survey on this website and I am 68. I want to ask doctor again immediately."

Krish99 July 22, 2013

"I have been taking it for 4 days and on the 3rd day my nose started running all day. Also, I had sneezing and now a sore throat and cough that hurts. My GERD was so bad that I had a "cobblestone" throat and it was hard to swallow some foods. Supposed to be on it for 2 months. Hope it gets better. Dry mouth at night and rapid heart beat are no fun either."

anomymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2013

"After taking Omeprazole 2 mg every day for 4 years, my last throat scope showed no more GERD problems and my doctor took me off the medication. During the 4 years, I never suffered any ill side effects."

Masterdiver50 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 8, 2013