User Reviews for Omeprazole

Also known as: Omesec, Prilosec, Prilosec OTC, Zegerid (Original Formulation)

Learn more about Omeprazole.

Omeprazole review summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 144 medications used in the treatment of GERD.

Reviews for Omeprazole to treat GERD

Review by john r... (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Prilosec (omeprazole): This medicine saved my life. I was in pain and miserable. Tried all the OTC stuff Zantac, Pepcid, Previced, and many others with no success. Then I tried omeprazole and within day's I was better. Great medicine. Would definitely recommend.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 8, 2014 12:40 AM

Review by boydgilbreath (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Prilosec (omeprazole): Its the best PPI I've tried.

November 4, 2013 9:33 AM

Review by Kelly12121:

I take this medicine every morning, if I miss one I suffer all day. I want to come off this medicine as I have been on it for over 4 years now. I am 21.

October 17, 2013 7:05 AM

Review by janes7 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Prilosec (omeprazole): A great medicine. I'm on 40 mg daily due to the feeling of my food being stuck in my throat. It was so bad at one time that I purposely made myself vomit for relief. After having my esophagus looked at - and finding out I also have a small hiatal hernia, doctor said my "flapper" doesn't close, or stay closed. So here I am religiously taking this medicine and mostly loving life. If you miss a day you will again feel miserable. I will say that over the years I have experienced "breakthrough" reflux at one time or another but never for a second day. Very happy.

August 26, 2013 11:39 AM

Review by Dan'l:

Prilosec (omeprazole): I have been taking Prilosec for several years and I take one with water every morning about 30 minutes before I get up and it has totally eliminated any burning in my chest/esophagus. Also, I learned not to eat any Mexican or spicy food within 3 -4 hours before going to bed.

July 27, 2013 7:58 AM

Review by Krish99:

I was taking Omeprazole 20 mg/day continuously since 10/2012 for acid Reflux. There was no appreciable effect felt. 2 months back my doctor increased to 1 tablet of 40mg/day. I found good improvement in my appetite and acid reflux problem. But 1 week back onwards I have shortness of breadth even with light work and I could not lie flat. I saw the result of a survey on this website and I am 68. I want to ask doctor again immediately.

July 22, 2013 5:31 PM

Review by anomymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been taking it for 4 days and on the 3rd day my nose started running all day. Also, I had sneezing and now a sore throat and cough that hurts. My GERD was so bad that I had a "cobblestone" throat and it was hard to swallow some foods. Supposed to be on it for 2 months. Hope it gets better. Dry mouth at night and rapid heart beat are no fun either.

June 16, 2013 5:30 PM

Review by Masterdiver50 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

After taking Omeprazole 2 mg every day for 4 years, my last throat scope showed no more GERD problems and my doctor took me off the medication. During the 4 years, I never suffered any ill side effects.

June 8, 2013 7:09 PM

Review by Grandma S (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Prilosec (omeprazole): Prilosec has worked for me 90 percent of the time for the past eight years. My one and only complaint is: Why does it have to be packaged like it is gold. First a large box with three smaller boxes in that and then the pills individually sealed in foil sheets. What a pain to get all this open and just think of the amount of waste to the landfills. I called the company and they said they do this packaging for safety reasons. Many, many more dangerous other meds are not packaged like this. Please get those pills into a bottle.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 7, 2013 8:45 PM

Review by whimpywall:

Prilosec (omeprazole): Prilosec has always worked for me since I went off Nexium but I recently tried the flavored one and I can no longer take just one pill a day to keep the burning away....so off to the store today to get my regular Prilosec since I have finally finished the flavored box. No more of the flavored one for me.

February 4, 2013 12:00 PM

Review by riverbrat:

I was taking Pepcid before for GERD and indigestion twice a day for several years. The night episodes started becoming more frequent lately, so my doctor switched me to Prilosec. After a week, I was getting a sore throat constantly, constipation, and lots of stomach gas. This is day 11, and I stopped taking the Prilosec. I took a Pepcid AC last night to get some relief, and slept well.

October 31, 2012 11:19 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Prilosec OTC (omeprazole): It worked well to eliminate reflux symptoms, but forced to discontinue use as made me too dizzy, lightheaded, and sometime naseaus. To the point of not feeling comfortable enough to drive.

October 3, 2012 9:28 AM

Review by jaimer123 (taken for less than 1 month):

Within 12 hours of taking this medication I got the chills, dizziness and stomach cramps and extreme dry mouth. Within 2 hours of taking my second dose I experienced anxiety, swelling of the tongue, throat and glands, continued dizziness and extreme dry mouth and thirst, frequent urination and stomach camps.

August 23, 2012 4:20 PM

Prilosec OTC (omeprazole): My doctor prescribed Protonix which worked most of the time and every now and then I would take a Tums. Then my doctor left and I didn't request a refill soon enough, so I decided to try Prilosec OTC. My GERD disappeared after the first day. I took it daily for 14 days as described on the box and never had a problem at all. My GERD pain is coming back though, so I will be buying another box.

August 7, 2012 5:04 PM

Review by TheRainGrrl (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I had issues every day before. Now, I have almost NO issues, and have noticed no side effects.

July 24, 2012 10:31 AM

Review by TheRainGrrl:

I had acid reflux constantly. Now, NO more heartburn or reflux!

July 24, 2012 9:07 AM

Prilosec (omeprazole): This medicine did not work for me at all. Even with dietary changes I would have occasional flare ups.

April 5, 2012 5:07 PM

Review by gerdlady:

Was put on this for GERD what a lifesaver. Feel great, have had no problems with this medicine. Take it once a day in the mornings and can just about eat a normal meal now without all the problems of acid reflux!

October 21, 2011 3:44 AM

Review by XmyXoneXandXonlyX:

Prilosec (omeprazole): I am on 40mg of Prilosec for GERD and I have zero heartburn 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Do not forget to take a dose or else the fire monster comes up your throat.

October 11, 2011 10:57 PM

Review by teresabzie:

Prilosec (omeprazole): I started taking Prilosec over 6 years ago. It was very effective at helping with the acid and GERD symptoms, however my Doctor prescribed two tablets a day (Over recommended dosage-due to seriousness of Gerd). I seem to be fine until I started getting horrible spasms in my sides and intestines. I broke my ankle in March and the spasms were bad and the spasms worsened. I had my calcium checked and I was dangerously low. We backed down to 1 Prilosec and the spasms disappeared. So watch your calcium with higher doses.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 8, 2011 11:18 PM

Review by Fratboi':

Having a diet consisting of beer, pizza, Copenhagen Marlboro, most of my 18-33 years, my GERD had gotten so bad that I could not even swallow. I mean almost choking on anything besides fluid and applesauce. Doctor performed "tube down the throat maneuver" and stated that I had a grotesque esophagus! Started Nexium right away, worked wonders.

September 5, 2011 4:43 PM

Review by rtpack:

Prilosec OTC (omeprazole): I have taken both prescription and OTC Prilosec. After losing my prescription coverage, I changed to OTC version and have had great results. I try to take my pill at least 2 to 3 hours before lunch. It works very well for me.

September 2, 2011 9:42 PM

Review by jennpugli:

I take 40mg morning and night and it works fantastic!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 31, 2011 3:02 AM

I took one omeprAzole every morning before breakfast as prescribed for GERD. The GERD went away for two weeks but I started to get severe burning in my throat, more than I had with GERD so I stopped the pills and the burning stopped. I will try taking the pills again and see what happens.

August 18, 2011 11:21 AM

I don't know if anyone has this problem, but I don't have the classic symptoms of heartburn, but my doctor thought my vocal cord problems could be cause by acid reflux. So I took this for about 4 days. On the fifth day I started having a terrible burning sensation that would not go away and lasted all day. It happened again the next day also. I decided to stop taking it and it has gone away. Anyway I'm not going to take it anymore and check with my doctor for something else. I went from having no symptoms to terrible burning sensations so I'm stopping for now.

August 9, 2011 4:21 PM