User Reviews for Omeprazole

Also known as: Omesec, Prilosec, Prilosec OTC, Zegerid (Original Formulation)

Learn more about Omeprazole.

Barrett's Esophagus 1 reviews 13 medications

Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome 0 reviews 55 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Omeprazole reviews 69 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Omeprazole

Review by hannahleila:

Prilosec (omeprazole) for Erosive Esophagitis: I have taken Prilosec or omeprazole for years and in increasing doses over time it has given me perfect control over my reflux and heart burn problem. Nexium made me so sick after 5 days of use that I could not get out of bed. Nothing else has ever worked so extremely well than this medicine.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 9, 2014 4:32 AM

Review by Blondie78 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Prilosec OTC (omeprazole) for Indigestion: I love this medicine because after I take it my stomach feels a lot better.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 25, 2014 2:00 PM

Review by boydgilbreath (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Prilosec (omeprazole) for GERD: Its the best PPI I've tried.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 4, 2013 9:33 AM

Review by Kelly12121:

For GERD: I take this medicine every morning, if I miss one I suffer all day. I want to come off this medicine as I have been on it for over 4 years now. I am 21.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 17, 2013 7:05 AM

Review by minter davidson:

For Indigestion: I believe this is the best medication that I take. Since starting, over 2 years ago, I have had no heartburn, become very regular also. I take a 20mg cap every morning, and I don't eat breakfast. Just have coffee. (I am 66).

September 1, 2013 1:41 PM

Review by janes7 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Prilosec (omeprazole) for GERD: A great medicine. I'm on 40 mg daily due to the feeling of my food being stuck in my throat. It was so bad at one time that I purposely made myself vomit for relief. After having my esophagus looked at - and finding out I also have a small hiatal hernia, doctor said my "flapper" doesn't close, or stay closed. So here I am religiously taking this medicine and mostly loving life. If you miss a day you will again feel miserable. I will say that over the years I have experienced "breakthrough" reflux at one time or another but never for a second day. Very happy.

August 26, 2013 11:39 AM

Review by VeronicaK (taken for less than 1 month):

For Indigestion: I had too much acid in my stomach. This was a life saver, couldn't eat or function. Ever since I started taking this, I have my life back.

July 30, 2013 9:38 AM

Review by Dan'l:

Prilosec (omeprazole) for GERD: I have been taking Prilosec for several years and I take one with water every morning about 30 minutes before I get up and it has totally eliminated any burning in my chest/esophagus. Also, I learned not to eat any Mexican or spicy food within 3 -4 hours before going to bed.

July 27, 2013 7:58 AM

Review by Krish99:

For GERD: I was taking Omeprazole 20 mg/day continuously since 10/2012 for acid Reflux. There was no appreciable effect felt. 2 months back my doctor increased to 1 tablet of 40mg/day. I found good improvement in my appetite and acid reflux problem. But 1 week back onwards I have shortness of breadth even with light work and I could not lie flat. I saw the result of a survey on this website and I am 68. I want to ask doctor again immediately.

July 22, 2013 5:31 PM

Review by anomymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For GERD: I have been taking it for 4 days and on the 3rd day my nose started running all day. Also, I had sneezing and now a sore throat and cough that hurts. My GERD was so bad that I had a "cobblestone" throat and it was hard to swallow some foods. Supposed to be on it for 2 months. Hope it gets better. Dry mouth at night and rapid heart beat are no fun either.

June 16, 2013 5:30 PM

Review by Masterdiver50 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For GERD: After taking Omeprazole 2 mg every day for 4 years, my last throat scope showed no more GERD problems and my doctor took me off the medication. During the 4 years, I never suffered any ill side effects.

June 8, 2013 7:09 PM

Review by FER1:

For Stomach Ulcer: No problems and seems to help! Have been taking for a while for my Ulcer and GERD.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 11, 2013 8:18 AM

Review by doggiestyle:

For Indigestion: Tender breasts, stomach bloating, headaches, weight gain almost immediately and constipation.

March 6, 2013 11:03 PM

Review by Grandma S (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Prilosec (omeprazole) for GERD: Prilosec has worked for me 90 percent of the time for the past eight years. My one and only complaint is: Why does it have to be packaged like it is gold. First a large box with three smaller boxes in that and then the pills individually sealed in foil sheets. What a pain to get all this open and just think of the amount of waste to the landfills. I called the company and they said they do this packaging for safety reasons. Many, many more dangerous other meds are not packaged like this. Please get those pills into a bottle.

February 7, 2013 8:45 PM

Review by whimpywall:

Prilosec (omeprazole) for GERD: Prilosec has always worked for me since I went off Nexium but I recently tried the flavored one and I can no longer take just one pill a day to keep the burning away....so off to the store today to get my regular Prilosec since I have finally finished the flavored box. No more of the flavored one for me.

February 4, 2013 12:00 PM

Review by riverbrat:

For GERD: I was taking Pepcid before for GERD and indigestion twice a day for several years. The night episodes started becoming more frequent lately, so my doctor switched me to Prilosec. After a week, I was getting a sore throat constantly, constipation, and lots of stomach gas. This is day 11, and I stopped taking the Prilosec. I took a Pepcid AC last night to get some relief, and slept well.

October 31, 2012 11:19 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Prilosec OTC (omeprazole) for GERD: It worked well to eliminate reflux symptoms, but forced to discontinue use as made me too dizzy, lightheaded, and sometime naseaus. To the point of not feeling comfortable enough to drive.

October 3, 2012 9:28 AM

Review by jaimer123 (taken for less than 1 month):

For GERD: Within 12 hours of taking this medication I got the chills, dizziness and stomach cramps and extreme dry mouth. Within 2 hours of taking my second dose I experienced anxiety, swelling of the tongue, throat and glands, continued dizziness and extreme dry mouth and thirst, frequent urination and stomach camps.

August 23, 2012 4:20 PM

Prilosec OTC (omeprazole) for GERD: My doctor prescribed Protonix which worked most of the time and every now and then I would take a Tums. Then my doctor left and I didn't request a refill soon enough, so I decided to try Prilosec OTC. My GERD disappeared after the first day. I took it daily for 14 days as described on the box and never had a problem at all. My GERD pain is coming back though, so I will be buying another box.

August 7, 2012 5:04 PM

Review by TheRainGrrl (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For GERD: I had issues every day before. Now, I have almost NO issues, and have noticed no side effects.

July 24, 2012 10:31 AM

Review by TheRainGrrl:

For GERD: I had acid reflux constantly. Now, NO more heartburn or reflux!

July 24, 2012 9:07 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Indigestion: The medicine caused my hands and feet to burn and also caused joint pain in those areas. It really did help my indigestion but I can't cope with the side effects. It took a couple months for the side effects to show up.

June 4, 2012 12:42 PM

Review by JCsLight:

Prilosec (omeprazole) for Indigestion: In 2005 I had many tests. No clear diagnosis but Prilosec seemed to bring the burning under control for nearly 6 1/2 yrs. There was breakthrough pain, helped by diet. Though there were mood swings and muscle spasms. Never associated until reading these reviews.

April 26, 2012 11:23 AM

Prilosec (omeprazole) for GERD: This medicine did not work for me at all. Even with dietary changes I would have occasional flare ups.

April 5, 2012 5:07 PM

Prilosec (omeprazole) for Barrett's Esophagus: Works as well as pantoprazole for me. Relatively expensive.

February 12, 2012 3:23 AM