User Reviews for Nortriptyline

Also known as: Aventyl Hydrochloride, Pamelor

Learn more about Nortriptyline.

Postherpetic Neuralgia 1 reviews 40 medications

Burning Mouth Syndrome 0 reviews 12 medications Not rated - Be the first
Dysautonomia 0 reviews 53 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Nortriptyline reviews 188 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Nortriptyline

For Migraine Prevention: "Been taking this for over 2 years now for extreme basilar artery migraines. started at 75mg. recently was upped to 125mg. If I miss a dose boy can I tell. This med works."

JanaJana July 28, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I started getting vertigo during my last pregnancy which transitioned to daily debilitating migraines with or w/o vertigo. After lots of testing my neurologist put me on Nortriptyline and it took about 6 months to get the dosage and migraines/vertigo under control but I am still on 75mg today for the past 7 years. I still have problems with dry mouth and I personally think it makes me a little forgetful (short term memory). I was a little lazy about taking it a few months ago and was wondering if it was still affective after 7 YEARS, and yes it is. One week after not taking it I got vertigo again which I haven't had in 3 years. So I'll be on this for life. I only get breakthrough migraines during my period for which I take a ketaprofen."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 24, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "very beneficial in reducing what were very frequent migraines. I still get them but once a week/fortnight. I am on 40mg/day."

pangur July 21, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "This drug worked great.I was about to lose my job. At first I had very little side effects that didn't bother me. It stopped the loose bowel movements and the stomach pain every time I would eat. Had hard lumpy poops still no pain and a lot better than worrying if I was going to make it to a bathroom. After a year and a half not sure if it was cause of PMS (which never had an problem, a little crabby nothing more) I had a severe panic, anxiety, could not think almost psychotic. So cut my dose in half for a week and then stopped taking it and four days later IBS is back. DR is going to try something else but if it don't work I'm going to go back and risk the mental issues."

Frances41 July 16, 2015

For Pain: "I have Stage 5 CRPS and have been taking 75MG of Nortriptyline (Generic for Pamelor) at bedtime for a few years now. I feel that I have been taking it long enough to say for sure that it helps with my treatment. I recommend this drug, but everyone is different and we all respond to medication differently, I hope Nortriptyline give's you the same hope in your treatment that it has given me."

mjaym1 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 14, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I started suffering from migraines in my early 30's. I had tried everything you could think of. I was missing work 4-5 times a month. I ended up in th emergency room and was given Diloaudi several times (they call this percription heroin because its so very strong. A few weeks back I went to another doctor who gave me Nortriyptyline! He told me my Migraines could be due to stress. For example, I know I have to go to work, I get ready, but then I decide to take the day off. I get a migraine. I work well under pressure, so my brain gets amped up for one thing and it's suddenly changed. Not that anyone asked for my medical history Ha. This medication works wonders!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 12, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I was getting extreme migranes everyday all day with no relief for over three months going to back and forth to the ER, even had an scans because I thought I had a tumor or cancer finally went to see a neurologist he gave me nortiotyline for 3 months and tordal for pain, within days I was feeling better and and by two weeks they were completley gone.. This is the best medicine."

Patty2526 July 10, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I've had very intense migraines since I was 7 years old. Finally went to a neurologist last year and was given 10 mg. This medication changed my life. I missed school at least once a week because of my migraines and now I get at most 2 a month. try not to miss any because its caused me to have a headache the following day. When I do get the occasional migraine, excedrin also works wonders."

taymed (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 24, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "Had a headache for over 6 months, even got scanned for a tumor. Got glasses, avoided computer/tv, removed caffeine from diet. Nothing. Now taking 50mg at bed time for a little over a month with almost no headache. Forgot to fill my prescription and went without for 2 days ... back to an extreme headache. Headache definitely fixed by nortriptyline!"

hyperspectral (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 16, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I had a headache almost every day for over a year, and when I was at the neurologist for a concussion, the daily headaches were finally addressed, and I was put on a medication I was told was often tried before or after Nortriptyline. He said that if this one didn't work, it was likely that Nortryptaline would. I was soon prescribed Nortriptyline: 25mg at night for the first week and 50mg after that. Dry mouth was a side effect, but it went away shortly. When taking 25 of 50mg in the morning, I didn't notice it making me drowsy like I had been warned it would. Bad headaches occurred when stopping the drug for a few days. Subtle dry mouth would happen with the start again. Still taking it, haven't gone 40 days headache free quite yet."

Dom P. June 15, 2015

For Pain: "Very bad, Was given for pain by doctor .Dr told me make sleepy does opposite. Gave me anger and made me depressed. Kinda mad at Dr. My be it's a side affects lol"

209rockstar (taken for less than 1 month) May 30, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "This medication has changed my life! I've only been on it for 10 days and it has worked wonders on me at a very low dose of 10mg! Get it on it NOW if you are suffering from migraines!!"

Migraine sufferer 1983 May 26, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I was actually homebound with post infectious IBS. The pain in my upper abdomen wore me down. I couldn't do anything. This lasted from March of 2014 to March of 2015. I thought I was going to die. Finally a doctor at U of M prescribed nortriptyline 10mg at bedtime. It worked within a few days. My pain was gone. I am now working with a dietician and testing foods to see if there is a trigger to my IBS. But I can have a decent life now!"

Gloryoski May 26, 2015

Pamelor (nortriptyline) for Depression: "I was switched from amitriptyline to nortriptyline and noticed an immediate improvement the following morning. I'm sold."

DDDBBB (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 21, 2015

For Neurosis: "After taking this medicine for 4 weeks I noticed no help will my depression"

Tmoo May 7, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "Have had migraines off/on since my teens in varying degrees. Within the last few years they have become more regular and with a vengeance. Tried various meds with my GP, finally started Nortriptyline, 10 mg for a week, then up to 20, etc. until no headaches. I went up to 40 mg. but experienced frequent night terrors and was scared down to back to 30 mg. (for 18mo which is still effective and reduced night terrors. No heart palpitations, but do experience dry mouth. Recently, I thought I would titrate down to 20 mg. BAD mistake, I experienced the famous ice pick headache for two days. I am now back on my lovely 30 mg. I have to be careful to make sure I am going to get at least 7 hrs sleep or I am very groggy next am for a few hrs"

vhope (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 28, 2015

For Vulvodynia: "Started at 10mg & pain lessened overnight! After few weeks, stepped up to 20mg, more improvement. In last few days upped to 30mg & I am almost discomfort free. This is after suffering on & off for some years. Plus my recurrent migraines have stopped. And pain from both knee osteoarthritis & wry neck very improved. So, yes, this medicine worked for me. Side effects were transient & tolerable."

marykearn April 24, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I started experiencing migranes on a DAILY basis in June 2014. I tried numerous over the counter medications and medications prescribed by my GP. In March 2015 I was referred to a neurologist who suggested I try Nortriptyline starting at 25mg before bed. I have progressed to 50mg as although the migranes went away I was still suffering with headaches at least 4 times a week. I am happy and only suffering irregular heart palpitations and night terrors. But overall I am extremely happy and am so thankful that life is back to normal. I can now function and go about my daily activities without constant pain."

Charly1f (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 22, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I've had migraines since my teens and they become more frequent as an adult. A doctor prescribed nortriptyline as a preventative in my mid 20s. It worked well for me. We did 10mg at night for a few months and stopped it worked well. When the migraines became more frequent a few years later we switched to continued use and 20mg a night. Migraines are now rare unless I am dealing with serious stress. Headaches in general have been reduced in number."

Janet Bryd (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 21, 2015

For Pain: "I was prescribed this drug for pain from osteoarthritis. It made no difference to my pain and even after upping it to 40mg I was still unable to sleep."

Toni Anita April 16, 2015

For Neuralgia: "I'm giving this a 5/10, because at 75 mg daily, it did relieve headaches that were at 7/10 on a 10/10 pain scale. However, I had to go off it, due to a rare side effect, that my neurologist hadn't even seen, called Serotonin syndrome. It's something to watch out for. I'm on gabapentin now for neuralgia and neuropathic pain."

Ally84 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 27, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I am 40 and have had migraines since I was 18. I started taking the nortriptyline and it has changed my life. I have been taking his for about 8 years. Was having migraines twice a week and now only have them twice a year. Miracle!!"

kathyElaine March 15, 2015

For Pain: "I have a bulging disc (L5-S1) lots of pain especially during sleep. Started on this 2 weeks ago. Take 20 mg at bedtime and now sleep well through the night. Very pleased here. No side effects."

Postcards March 14, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "Never really had headaches until after brain surgery for a cavernous malformation. After the surgery was okay for about a month and then had headaches everyday. I was just learning how to live with them but somedays I just needed to stay in bed. Had a neurologist try one med that knocked me out and switched to a new neurologist that put me on this med. After one week I was a new person. Have been on it for several months with maybe one headache and I think that trigger was lack of food. I am sold on this medication it has been life changing. I did notice there were lots of side effects and was nervous at first but the benefits totally out weigh the dry mouth I get. Trying Biotine mouth was for that. Sleeping well too"

Yogamomof4 March 9, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I've had migraines with aura since my early 20s (I'm 45 now). Over the past few years their frequency had increased. As of December 2013, I was having them about 2- times per week. I was put on Nortriptyline 50 mg/day. I have had only one migraine in the past 14 months (and the one I had was when I tried to reduce the dosage). The dry mouth & orthostatic hypotension have stopped. The only problem is that I really cannot drink very much alcohol."

Anonymous March 3, 2015