User Reviews for Nortriptyline

Also known as: Aventyl Hydrochloride, Pamelor

Learn more about Nortriptyline.

Postherpetic Neuralgia 1 reviews 40 medications

Burning Mouth Syndrome 0 reviews 12 medications Not rated - Be the first
Dysautonomia 0 reviews 54 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Nortriptyline reviews 176 reviews 7.9

Reviews for Nortriptyline

For Migraine Prevention: "This medication has changed my life! I've only been on it for 10 days and it has worked wonders on me at a very low dose of 10mg! Get it on it NOW if you are suffering from migraines!!"

Migraine sufferer 1983 May 26, 2015

Pamelor (nortriptyline) for Depression: "I was switched from amitriptyline to nortriptyline and noticed an immediate improvement the following morning. I'm sold."

DDDBBB (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 21, 2015

For Neurosis: "After taking this medicine for 4 weeks I noticed no help will my depression"

Tmoo May 7, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "Have had migraines off/on since my teens in varying degrees. Within the last few years they have become more regular and with a vengeance. Tried various meds with my GP, finally started Nortriptyline, 10 mg for a week, then up to 20, etc. until no headaches. I went up to 40 mg. but experienced frequent night terrors and was scared down to back to 30 mg. (for 18mo which is still effective and reduced night terrors. No heart palpitations, but do experience dry mouth. Recently, I thought I would titrate down to 20 mg. BAD mistake, I experienced the famous ice pick headache for two days. I am now back on my lovely 30 mg. I have to be careful to make sure I am going to get at least 7 hrs sleep or I am very groggy next am for a few hrs"

vhope (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 28, 2015

For Vulvodynia: "Started at 10mg & pain lessened overnight! After few weeks, stepped up to 20mg, more improvement. In last few days upped to 30mg & I am almost discomfort free. This is after suffering on & off for some years. Plus my recurrent migraines have stopped. And pain from both knee osteoarthritis & wry neck very improved. So, yes, this medicine worked for me. Side effects were transient & tolerable."

marykearn April 24, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I started experiencing migranes on a DAILY basis in June 2014. I tried numerous over the counter medications and medications prescribed by my GP. In March 2015 I was referred to a neurologist who suggested I try Nortriptyline starting at 25mg before bed. I have progressed to 50mg as although the migranes went away I was still suffering with headaches at least 4 times a week. I am happy and only suffering irregular heart palpitations and night terrors. But overall I am extremely happy and am so thankful that life is back to normal. I can now function and go about my daily activities without constant pain."

Charly1f (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 22, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I've had migraines since my teens and they become more frequent as an adult. A doctor prescribed nortriptyline as a preventative in my mid 20s. It worked well for me. We did 10mg at night for a few months and stopped it worked well. When the migraines became more frequent a few years later we switched to continued use and 20mg a night. Migraines are now rare unless I am dealing with serious stress. Headaches in general have been reduced in number."

Janet Bryd (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 21, 2015

For Pain: "I was prescribed this drug for pain from osteoarthritis. It made no difference to my pain and even after upping it to 40mg I was still unable to sleep."

Toni Anita April 16, 2015

For Neuralgia: "I'm giving this a 5/10, because at 75 mg daily, it did relieve headaches that were at 7/10 on a 10/10 pain scale. However, I had to go off it, due to a rare side effect, that my neurologist hadn't even seen, called Serotonin syndrome. It's something to watch out for. I'm on gabapentin now for neuralgia and neuropathic pain."

Ally84 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 27, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I am 40 and have had migraines since I was 18. I started taking the nortriptyline and it has changed my life. I have been taking his for about 8 years. Was having migraines twice a week and now only have them twice a year. Miracle!!"

kathyElaine March 15, 2015

For Pain: "I have a bulging disc (L5-S1) lots of pain especially during sleep. Started on this 2 weeks ago. Take 20 mg at bedtime and now sleep well through the night. Very pleased here. No side effects."

Postcards March 14, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "Never really had headaches until after brain surgery for a cavernous malformation. After the surgery was okay for about a month and then had headaches everyday. I was just learning how to live with them but somedays I just needed to stay in bed. Had a neurologist try one med that knocked me out and switched to a new neurologist that put me on this med. After one week I was a new person. Have been on it for several months with maybe one headache and I think that trigger was lack of food. I am sold on this medication it has been life changing. I did notice there were lots of side effects and was nervous at first but the benefits totally out weigh the dry mouth I get. Trying Biotine mouth was for that. Sleeping well too"

Yogamomof4 March 9, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I've had migraines with aura since my early 20s (I'm 45 now). Over the past few years their frequency had increased. As of December 2013, I was having them about 2- times per week. I was put on Nortriptyline 50 mg/day. I have had only one migraine in the past 14 months (and the one I had was when I tried to reduce the dosage). The dry mouth & orthostatic hypotension have stopped. The only problem is that I really cannot drink very much alcohol."

Anonymous March 3, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I've been on this for 3 weeks now and it helps so much. I used to have migraines that would last up to 3-4 days at a time non stop. Lately I have only had 1 mild headache a week. Wish I was put on this years ago."

Suneshinegirl February 23, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I started having episodic migraines when I was 8, and it turned into chronic migraine when I was 16 (I'm 18 now). Untreated, I usually have a migraine every day. After playing with a few different treatment options, my doctor put me on Pamelor. 50mg for the first two months, and then 100mg for the second two. Almost as soon as I started taking it, I started experiencing the adverse side effects. Dry mouth, light-headedness, exhausted 24/7. But the worst were the nightmares. Vivid, every night. I would wake up screaming. I stopped the medicine two weeks ago, but the nightmares still haven't stopped. And the medicine made absolutely no difference in my migraines. Still had them every day."

logaandreew February 19, 2015

For Depression: "I was on nortriptyline 75mg and it made things worse for me I had bad nightmares I was depressed more it just didn't work for me now I'm weaning my self off at the doctors request."

sevenheaven778 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 17, 2015

For Neuralgia: "I've was diagnosed with interstitial cystitis a little over a year ago. This chronic pain disease is a curse!! I tried so many different things to make the pain go away- natural methods (such as digestive enzymes, cranberry supplements, probiotics), the IC diet, the alkaline diet, and switching to all alkaline water. Finally I couldn't take it anymore and my doctor told me to try 10mg of Nortriptyline. It started working the very next day. I would say I'm 90%better. I still have minor flares before I go to bed if I'm stressed. My doctor told me to increase slowly to 50mg but I haven't needed to go up from 10mg. I hope this works for the rest of my life because I can't go back to the way I was before this medicine. It honestly saved me."

Melissa555 January 25, 2015

For Pain: "I have unexplained nerve pain for about two years..after trying so many pills I was at the end of my hope. All the pills either made me feel like a zombie or I gained weight. I tried 10 mg of Nortriptyline and it has given me back my life! I have been on them for around 3 months now and hardly any pain."

Patsy 7 December 23, 2014

147 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Pain: "I have been living with chronic back and hip pain for 12 years. I have had many surgeries with little to no relief of pain. After being in the pain management program at Kaiser for 2 months the doctor prescribed nortriptyline and within days I felt like a new person. Even just sitting doing nothing was painful and now I can do my daily household chores with little pain. Some things are still difficult but my daily life has improved substantially."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 20, 2014

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Pain: "I had no side effects. The medicine really worked for me. I was able to stay on my job for 47 years before retiring."

cookiec (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 19, 2014

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "I've been on this for a month or so at 25mg a day and it has reduced my headaches down from one every day with a migraine once a week to about a headache a week and I haven't had a migraine yet. When I take this I have noticed that I sleep better. I also have dry mouth with this unfortunately but it is nothing compared to having daily headaches. (18 years old, female, migraines since age 4)."

alymarie (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 13, 2014

For Pain: "You name it I have every back problem known to man. I have been on this medicine for only a month. And I live a pain free life. I do have hyper activities but that's disappearing dry mouth and no appetite, and without eating as much my blood sugar level have been wonderful, (hypoglycemia). I love the way I feel , I have told many people, this is a miracle. "

Karla K December 9, 2014

115 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "Three months ago I started the Nortriptyline 10mg daily to help with very disabling migraine with aura. So far so good. I haven't had a migraine, and I would normally have had one or two in that time. For a couple of years I have been taking 400mg daily vitamin B2, but I was still getting sick. So I've added the Nortriptyline. I also, now, am very careful to not become constipated, and that may be making a difference. But, it looks like the Nortriptyline has been good for me. My migraines started at about 13; I'm 61 now."

khwb (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 27, 2014

For Depression: "Was a life saving medicine for me! Extreme low dosage worked 25-50mg. No side effects."

andy78 November 22, 2014

For Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome: "Minimal positive effects. Did have less weight gain on this then amitriptyline. Not a miracle by any means. Did experience negative emotional effects on this medication."

whatadaytoday November 21, 2014