Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Nortriptyline

Also known as: Aventyl Hydrochloride, Pamelor

Learn more about Nortriptyline.

Neurosis 1 reviews 0 medications

Dysautonomia 0 reviews 54 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Nortriptyline reviews 169 reviews 7.9

Reviews for Nortriptyline

Review by vhope (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Migraine Prevention: Have had migraines off/on since my teens in varying degrees. Within the last few years they have become more regular and with a vengeance. Tried various meds with my GP, finally started Nortriptyline, 10 mg for a week, then up to 20, etc. until no headaches. I went up to 40 mg. but experienced frequent night terrors and was scared down to back to 30 mg. (for 18mo which is still effective and reduced night terrors. No heart palpitations, but do experience dry mouth. Recently, I thought I would titrate down to 20 mg. BAD mistake, I experienced the famous ice pick headache for two days. I am now back on my lovely 30 mg. I have to be careful to make sure I am going to get at least 7 hrs sleep or I am very groggy next am for a few hrs

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 28, 2015 9:51 PM

Review by marykearn:

For Vulvodynia: Started at 10mg & pain lessened overnight! After few weeks, stepped up to 20mg, more improvement. In last few days upped to 30mg & I am almost discomfort free. This is after suffering on & off for some years. Plus my recurrent migraines have stopped. And pain from both knee osteoarthritis & wry neck very improved. So, yes, this medicine worked for me. Side effects were transient & tolerable.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 24, 2015 12:20 PM

Review by Charly1f (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Migraine Prevention: I started experiencing migranes on a DAILY basis in June 2014. I tried numerous over the counter medications and medications prescribed by my GP. In March 2015 I was referred to a neurologist who suggested I try Nortriptyline starting at 25mg before bed. I have progressed to 50mg as although the migranes went away I was still suffering with headaches at least 4 times a week. I am happy and only suffering irregular heart palpitations and night terrors. But overall I am extremely happy and am so thankful that life is back to normal. I can now function and go about my daily activities without constant pain.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 22, 2015 7:23 AM

Review by Janet Bryd (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Migraine Prevention: I've had migraines since my teens and they become more frequent as an adult. A doctor prescribed nortriptyline as a preventative in my mid 20s. It worked well for me. We did 10mg at night for a few months and stopped it worked well. When the migraines became more frequent a few years later we switched to continued use and 20mg a night. Migraines are now rare unless I am dealing with serious stress. Headaches in general have been reduced in number.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 21, 2015 11:02 PM

Review by Toni Anita:

For Pain: I was prescribed this drug for pain from osteoarthritis. It made no difference to my pain and even after upping it to 40mg I was still unable to sleep.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 16, 2015 3:10 AM

Review by Ally84 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Neuralgia: I'm giving this a 5/10, because at 75 mg daily, it did relieve headaches that were at 7/10 on a 10/10 pain scale. However, I had to go off it, due to a rare side effect, that my neurologist hadn't even seen, called Serotonin syndrome. It's something to watch out for. I'm on gabapentin now for neuralgia and neuropathic pain.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 27, 2015 1:02 PM

Review by Postcards:

For Pain: I have a bulging disc (L5-S1) lots of pain especially during sleep. Started on this 2 weeks ago. Take 20 mg at bedtime and now sleep well through the night. Very pleased here. No side effects.

March 14, 2015 6:20 PM

For Migraine Prevention: I've had migraines with aura since my early 20s (I'm 45 now). Over the past few years their frequency had increased. As of December 2013, I was having them about 2- times per week. I was put on Nortriptyline 50 mg/day. I have had only one migraine in the past 14 months (and the one I had was when I tried to reduce the dosage). The dry mouth & orthostatic hypotension have stopped. The only problem is that I really cannot drink very much alcohol.

March 3, 2015 10:54 AM

Review by Suneshinegirl:

For Migraine Prevention: I've been on this for 3 weeks now and it helps so much. I used to have migraines that would last up to 3-4 days at a time non stop. Lately I have only had 1 mild headache a week. Wish I was put on this years ago.

February 23, 2015 11:05 PM

Review by sevenheaven778 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I was on nortriptyline 75mg and it made things worse for me I had bad nightmares I was depressed more it just didn't work for me now I'm weaning my self off at the doctors request.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 17, 2015 5:02 AM

Review by Patsy 7:

For Pain: I have unexplained nerve pain for about two years..after trying so many pills I was at the end of my hope. All the pills either made me feel like a zombie or I gained weight. I tried 10 mg of Nortriptyline and it has given me back my life! I have been on them for around 3 months now and hardly any pain.

125 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 23, 2014 6:38 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Pain: I have been living with chronic back and hip pain for 12 years. I have had many surgeries with little to no relief of pain. After being in the pain management program at Kaiser for 2 months the doctor prescribed nortriptyline and within days I felt like a new person. Even just sitting doing nothing was painful and now I can do my daily household chores with little pain. Some things are still difficult but my daily life has improved substantially.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 20, 2014 9:46 PM

Review by cookiec (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Pain: I had no side effects. The medicine really worked for me. I was able to stay on my job for 47 years before retiring.

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 19, 2014 8:20 PM

Review by alymarie (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Migraine Prevention: I've been on this for a month or so at 25mg a day and it has reduced my headaches down from one every day with a migraine once a week to about a headache a week and I haven't had a migraine yet. When I take this I have noticed that I sleep better. I also have dry mouth with this unfortunately but it is nothing compared to having daily headaches. (18 years old, female, migraines since age 4).

December 13, 2014 1:44 AM

Review by Karla K:

For Pain: You name it I have every back problem known to man. I have been on this medicine for only a month. And I live a pain free life. I do have hyper activities but that's disappearing dry mouth and no appetite, and without eating as much my blood sugar level have been wonderful, (hypoglycemia). I love the way I feel , I have told many people, this is a miracle.

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 9, 2014 8:51 PM

Review by khwb (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Migraine Prevention: Three months ago I started the Nortriptyline 10mg daily to help with very disabling migraine with aura. So far so good. I haven't had a migraine, and I would normally have had one or two in that time. For a couple of years I have been taking 400mg daily vitamin B2, but I was still getting sick. So I've added the Nortriptyline. I also, now, am very careful to not become constipated, and that may be making a difference. But, it looks like the Nortriptyline has been good for me. My migraines started at about 13; I'm 61 now.

November 27, 2014 11:24 PM

Review by andy78:

For Depression: Was a life saving medicine for me! Extreme low dosage worked 25-50mg. No side effects.

November 22, 2014 8:27 PM

Review by whatadaytoday:

For Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome: Minimal positive effects. Did have less weight gain on this then amitriptyline. Not a miracle by any means. Did experience negative emotional effects on this medication.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 21, 2014 2:26 PM

Review by 15yearoldFemale:

For Migraine Prevention: I have been using this medication for a year now. I was on the basketball team my freshman year (I'm a Sophmore now) and unfortunately suffered a severe concussion. This medication is my lifesaver. In December of 2013, I had to go on home hospital and I was on home hospital for 8 months until August of 2014. I first tried steroid type medication for a week and it failed. But I was on this medication soon after, 10 mg, then 20 mg and then 25 mg over the course of 8 months. It has worked wonderfully for me and I have been able to go back to school. The only reason I am giving it a 9 is because it also caused me to have slow thinning hair loss on my scalp, eyebrows, and eyelashes, however this was my experience and I still suggest using it.

November 14, 2014 12:49 AM

Review by Shoshanaz (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Migraine Prevention: My neurologist put me on nortriptyline as my common migraine attacks became more frequent, 10 or more a month. These migraines were almost always accompanied by a stiff neck and often woke me up after 5 hours or so of sleep. Started at 25mg daily, I noticed a change in the pattern. While previously I would have 3 days of migraine in a row, the migraines were mostly limited to one day. After a month or so, the dose was increased to 50mg, and I am largely migraine (and stiff-neck) free. I take it at night, so the only side effect is that I sleep longer than I used to. My understanding is that after some number of months the dose will be reduced and/or I will be taken off of it to see if the migraines return.

October 28, 2014 9:26 AM

Review by JessiM:

For Migraine Prevention: I'm currently on 150mg daily of this medication and it does a great job in preventing headaches. A few smaller ones get through that ibuprofen will take care of but the amount of serious headaches and migraines have decreased significantly. The only difficulty is because the pills are so lightweight they do not go down easily. I have to chase it with food (such as taking it during dinner) or else the pills get stuck and cause pretty bad heartburn-type difficulties.

October 24, 2014 1:19 PM

Review by RLZ:

Pamelor (nortriptyline) for Depression: My neurologist prescribed Nortriptyline for Neuropathy. It did not help much for that condition.However, at the time I was suffering from severe depression due to having to place my husband in a nursing home. The medication did wonders for me and I have been a daily user since that time.

September 13, 2014 9:27 AM

Review by Shelbz (taken for less than 1 month):

For Migraine Prevention: Very effective for migraine prevention. I was having one every other day and on this medicine. I've gone a week without having a migraine. However it makes my ears ring. The ringing in my ears is driving me insane to the point I can't take it, so I think unfortunately this medicine is not for me!

August 25, 2014 12:06 AM

Review by Gramma M (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Pain: I have been taking nortriptyline 10mg capsules (6 capsules for 60 mg) every night before I go to bed for over 3 months now. I was involved in a MVA collision by a drunk driver and I now suffer constant head pain. I now have Post Concussive Head Syndrome. I was taking narcotics constantly because of the head pain, I do not have migraines. I was able to be seen by a neurologist and because of the frustration and anger I had against the drunk driver, well the nortriptyline has help considerably in my head pain and also feeling depressed. The only side effect I am experiencing is dry mouth and sleeplessness. I am now taking it 2 to 3 hours before I go to sleep. There was a couple of times I missed the doses and the pain was there again.

117 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 1, 2014 4:59 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Pain: I'm 21 years old and have been suffering from chronic abdominal pain and Irritable Bowel Syndrome for almost two years now. I started the nortriptyline about a year ago after countless trips to the hospital to get a grip on my pain. Since last summer, I've noticed a HUGE difference since being on the nortriptyline. There is still some pain, but the medicine really calmed everything down. The only thing that I frown upon is the fact that it makes me very tired. Even though I take it at bedtime. I take 75mg every night and I wake up feeling groggy every day. I'm not sure if anyone else has had this experience and side effect. But I'd rather be tired than in pain, good luck to everyone!

126 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 7, 2014 10:39 PM