Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Nortriptyline

Also known as: Aventyl Hydrochloride, Pamelor

Learn more about Nortriptyline.

Neurosis 1 reviews 0 medications

Dysautonomia 0 reviews 54 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Nortriptyline reviews 162 reviews 7.9

Reviews for Nortriptyline

Review by Postcards:

For Pain: I have a bulging disc (L5-S1) lots of pain especially during sleep. Started on this 2 weeks ago. Take 20 mg at bedtime and now sleep well through the night. Very pleased here. No side effects.

March 14, 2015 6:20 PM

Review by Suneshinegirl:

For Migraine Prevention: I've been on this for 3 weeks now and it helps so much. I used to have migraines that would last up to 3-4 days at a time non stop. Lately I have only had 1 mild headache a week. Wish I was put on this years ago.

February 23, 2015 11:05 PM

Review by sevenheaven778 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I was on nortriptyline 75mg and it made things worse for me I had bad nightmares I was depressed more it just didn't work for me now I'm weaning my self off at the doctors request.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 17, 2015 5:02 AM

Review by Patsy 7:

For Pain: I have unexplained nerve pain for about two years..after trying so many pills I was at the end of my hope. All the pills either made me feel like a zombie or I gained weight. I tried 10 mg of Nortriptyline and it has given me back my life! I have been on them for around 3 months now and hardly any pain.

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 23, 2014 6:38 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Pain: I have been living with chronic back and hip pain for 12 years. I have had many surgeries with little to no relief of pain. After being in the pain management program at Kaiser for 2 months the doctor prescribed nortriptyline and within days I felt like a new person. Even just sitting doing nothing was painful and now I can do my daily household chores with little pain. Some things are still difficult but my daily life has improved substantially.

December 20, 2014 9:46 PM

Review by cookiec (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Pain: I had no side effects. The medicine really worked for me. I was able to stay on my job for 47 years before retiring.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 19, 2014 8:20 PM

Review by alymarie (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Migraine Prevention: I've been on this for a month or so at 25mg a day and it has reduced my headaches down from one every day with a migraine once a week to about a headache a week and I haven't had a migraine yet. When I take this I have noticed that I sleep better. I also have dry mouth with this unfortunately but it is nothing compared to having daily headaches. (18 years old, female, migraines since age 4).

December 13, 2014 1:44 AM

Review by Karla K:

For Pain: You name it I have every back problem known to man. I have been on this medicine for only a month. And I live a pain free life. I do have hyper activities but that's disappearing dry mouth and no appetite, and without eating as much my blood sugar level have been wonderful, (hypoglycemia). I love the way I feel , I have told many people, this is a miracle.

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 9, 2014 8:51 PM

Review by khwb (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Migraine Prevention: Three months ago I started the Nortriptyline 10mg daily to help with very disabling migraine with aura. So far so good. I haven't had a migraine, and I would normally have had one or two in that time. For a couple of years I have been taking 400mg daily vitamin B2, but I was still getting sick. So I've added the Nortriptyline. I also, now, am very careful to not become constipated, and that may be making a difference. But, it looks like the Nortriptyline has been good for me. My migraines started at about 13; I'm 61 now.

November 27, 2014 11:24 PM

Review by andy78:

For Depression: Was a life saving medicine for me! Extreme low dosage worked 25-50mg. No side effects.

November 22, 2014 8:27 PM

Review by whatadaytoday:

For Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome: Minimal positive effects. Did have less weight gain on this then amitriptyline. Not a miracle by any means. Did experience negative emotional effects on this medication.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 21, 2014 2:26 PM

Review by 15yearoldFemale:

For Migraine Prevention: I have been using this medication for a year now. I was on the basketball team my freshman year (I'm a Sophmore now) and unfortunately suffered a severe concussion. This medication is my lifesaver. In December of 2013, I had to go on home hospital and I was on home hospital for 8 months until August of 2014. I first tried steroid type medication for a week and it failed. But I was on this medication soon after, 10 mg, then 20 mg and then 25 mg over the course of 8 months. It has worked wonderfully for me and I have been able to go back to school. The only reason I am giving it a 9 is because it also caused me to have slow thinning hair loss on my scalp, eyebrows, and eyelashes, however this was my experience and I still suggest using it.

November 14, 2014 12:49 AM

Review by Shoshanaz (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Migraine Prevention: My neurologist put me on nortriptyline as my common migraine attacks became more frequent, 10 or more a month. These migraines were almost always accompanied by a stiff neck and often woke me up after 5 hours or so of sleep. Started at 25mg daily, I noticed a change in the pattern. While previously I would have 3 days of migraine in a row, the migraines were mostly limited to one day. After a month or so, the dose was increased to 50mg, and I am largely migraine (and stiff-neck) free. I take it at night, so the only side effect is that I sleep longer than I used to. My understanding is that after some number of months the dose will be reduced and/or I will be taken off of it to see if the migraines return.

October 28, 2014 9:26 AM

Review by JessiM:

For Migraine Prevention: I'm currently on 150mg daily of this medication and it does a great job in preventing headaches. A few smaller ones get through that ibuprofen will take care of but the amount of serious headaches and migraines have decreased significantly. The only difficulty is because the pills are so lightweight they do not go down easily. I have to chase it with food (such as taking it during dinner) or else the pills get stuck and cause pretty bad heartburn-type difficulties.

October 24, 2014 1:19 PM

Review by RLZ:

Pamelor (nortriptyline) for Depression: My neurologist prescribed Nortriptyline for Neuropathy. It did not help much for that condition.However, at the time I was suffering from severe depression due to having to place my husband in a nursing home. The medication did wonders for me and I have been a daily user since that time.

September 13, 2014 9:27 AM

Review by Shelbz (taken for less than 1 month):

For Migraine Prevention: Very effective for migraine prevention. I was having one every other day and on this medicine. I've gone a week without having a migraine. However it makes my ears ring. The ringing in my ears is driving me insane to the point I can't take it, so I think unfortunately this medicine is not for me!

August 25, 2014 12:06 AM

Review by Gramma M (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Pain: I have been taking nortriptyline 10mg capsules (6 capsules for 60 mg) every night before I go to bed for over 3 months now. I was involved in a MVA collision by a drunk driver and I now suffer constant head pain. I now have Post Concussive Head Syndrome. I was taking narcotics constantly because of the head pain, I do not have migraines. I was able to be seen by a neurologist and because of the frustration and anger I had against the drunk driver, well the nortriptyline has help considerably in my head pain and also feeling depressed. The only side effect I am experiencing is dry mouth and sleeplessness. I am now taking it 2 to 3 hours before I go to sleep. There was a couple of times I missed the doses and the pain was there again.

108 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 1, 2014 4:59 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Pain: I'm 21 years old and have been suffering from chronic abdominal pain and Irritable Bowel Syndrome for almost two years now. I started the nortriptyline about a year ago after countless trips to the hospital to get a grip on my pain. Since last summer, I've noticed a HUGE difference since being on the nortriptyline. There is still some pain, but the medicine really calmed everything down. The only thing that I frown upon is the fact that it makes me very tired. Even though I take it at bedtime. I take 75mg every night and I wake up feeling groggy every day. I'm not sure if anyone else has had this experience and side effect. But I'd rather be tired than in pain, good luck to everyone!

112 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 7, 2014 10:39 PM

Review by chiwawa mama (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Pain: I'm being treated with nortriptyline for abdominal wall pain due to having irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) for almost 40 years now. I still have pain in other areas but this does the trick for the abdominal pain, which is like the pain you get in your side after you've been running for a long time. It wasn't just a stabbing pain, though, it came, it stayed and wouldn't go away. I only take 10mg and my prescription says to increase as necessary, but I've been on it successfully for over a year now. I stopped it once with the ok of the doctor but within three weeks the pain returned, so I started back up on it. I do have the dry mouth and sometimes restless sleep but I can handle that...I couldn't handle the abdominal pain..this worked!

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 26, 2014 8:26 PM

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I suffered with Irritable Bowel Syndrome for over 30 years beginning in my 30's after a severe gastrointestinal infection. I controlled it with OTC meds like Pepto-Bismol and Imodium. The condition worsened until I could no longer count on having a symptom free day and my diet was severely limited. My doctor recommended Nortriptyline and the lowest dose of 10 mg immediately worked. I now can eat a diet that includes fruits and vegetables I has been unable to eat for years. I did have one troubling side effect at first -rapid heart rate. I was taking a low dosage of a beta blocker for this condition prior to taking Nortriptyline. My doctor recommended increasing my beta blocked dosage, and the palpitations have discontinued. I am healthy and very active.

June 24, 2014 2:16 AM

Review by Fibro/Myofascial pain (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Pain: I am 40 year old woman and I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and Myofascial pain syndrome around 2 years ago and had symptoms for about 3 years before that. This medication was my doctor's first choice. I am a member of one of leading health care providers in CA, and she said that they have had much success prescribing this medication to patients with nerve pain disorders. This medicine made a considerable difference in my quality of life, improving my sleep, pain, stiffness, and tenderness. I take 30mg every evening before bed and make sure that I get about 8-9 hours sleep. I can always tell the next day if I've forgotten my dose. I plan on taking it for as long as it helps.

132 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 20, 2014 2:54 PM

Review by Pain is Gone! (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Pain: When I was 47 I was diagnosed with arthritis in my neck which was triggering migraines and shoulder pain. Even 800 mg of Motrin didn't help. Nortriptyline was a miracle and I am migraine free. I tried going off of it about 4 times, and every time I had headaches and shoulder pain the next day. I am so thankful for Nortriptyline because I can go to work and think clearly without a headache clouding my thoughts.

110 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 9, 2014 1:30 AM

Review by Ms Jarvis (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Neuralgia: I have suffered with A-typical facial neuralgia for over 12 years and nothing but nothing has helped me like Nortriptyline. I was prescribed this by a professor of Pain Management at Walton Hospital and I can honestly say he saved my life. It is a wonder pill that seems to work alone. Previously I was on a cocktail of Tegretol, amitriptyline and gabapentin which completely left me like a zombie. After being 'pain free' for 7 years, I began to wean myself off them but only recently the pain has begun to return so I'm going go back to the doctor for my script. Sometimes it's better to carry on taking the tablets even if you think the pain has gone as they cannot cure you, they merely mask the pain, which is good enough for me.

May 20, 2014 12:06 PM

Review by Rhône's Mom:

For Migraine Prevention: I just turned 40 and have suffered from migraines with aura with increasing frequency and severity since I was 16. In March 2014 I was up to 18 migraines in 22 days. My doctor took me off all the Triptans I was taking and never ever worked, to my great relief! At first I tried a blood pressure med but after 2 weeks of horrible side effects (horrible depression, weight gain, insomnia) my GP put me on Nortriptyline. I have been on it for 4 weeks. We started with 10 mg at night. I noticed that the pain from my migraines and frequency reduced by about 50% and Advil liquid gels were able to take the pain away. I have now been bumped up to 20 mg. I haven't noticed dry mouth, but I did notice my eyes get dry. I sleep really well. no other effects.

104 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 30, 2014 12:56 PM

Review by Anononononon (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Migraine Prevention: 10 mg at night for chronic tension headaches. The first few days were horrible: extremely fatigued, grumpy, felt like a really bad hangover. But by the fourth or fifth day, all of that was gone, and my headaches went too. I'm glad I stuck it out, because I had had headaches that interfered with my daily life. It made me very drowsy at first, and still does act as a bit of a sedative, so I only take it if I plan to sleep very soon. Also, it really lowered my alcohol tolerance, so watch out for that.

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 27, 2014 7:03 PM