User Reviews for Nortriptyline

Also known as: Aventyl Hydrochloride, Pamelor

Learn more about Nortriptyline.

Postherpetic Neuralgia 1 reviews 39 medications

3.2
Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome 3 reviews 2 medications

Summary of Nortriptyline reviews 238 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Nortriptyline

For Migraine Prevention: "I've had chronic headaches for 4-5 years and was treating symptoms with OTC meds which eventually became ineffective. Started having severe migraines about once a week for which I finally sought a more permanent treatment. Had some undesirable side effects to a few of the initial prescriptions. Hair loss, nausea, insomnia, etc. I had a rough start with Nortriptyline. As I increased the dosage I experienced prolonged drowsiness and some constipation. After a few weeks the symptoms decreased and my head aches stopped being a daily occurrence. I have had a few migraines since starting but these have also become less frequent. Maybe from once a week to once a month now. Hoping this works for me long-term and doesn't become ineffective."

gmo7286 February 2, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I've been dealing with migraines for about 2 years now. After extensive testing to rule out brain tumours, Wilson's disease, MS, etc, I was essentially told that I would have to manage my migraines for the rest of my life. The only pain meds that worked were T3s which weren't an option when I was getting more than one migraine a week. After trying several medications Nortriptyline actually worked. My only complaint is the worsening of my other symptoms such as vision issues, an essential tremor, and speech difficulties. The benefits far outweigh the costs though. I am a functional person today because of this medication"

UniStudent (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 1, 2016

For Pain: "I suffered severe depression for more than 10 years. I have been recently diagnosed with Fibromuscular dysplasia (one of the effects of this condition is terrible migraines, lightheartedness, insomnia and dizziness) I was unable to function on a daily basis, feeling sleepy at work and miserable. I could not thank enough to my neurologist. He stopped me taking any other antidepressant and put me into this drug...After 15 days I can notice the difference...I am not sleepy during the day, I am able to function, headaches are gone and I am able to sleep straight for 7-8 hours. My doctor told me though that this medication will make me gain weight. I prevent this eating healthier and trying to exercise 3 times a week and it's working"

anonymus1 January 31, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I started taking Nortriptyline a couple years ago after about a six month long migraine that never seemed to get relieved. I had tried amitriptyline before but it made me very drowsy. The headache relief with 75mg daily of Nortriptyline has been nothing short of miraculous for me. I do get rare mild to intermediate headaches from time to time but they never last long at all. The dry mouth is a real occurrence, but easily ignored. I've been reading about other possible side effects lately and was surprised to find that tingling and numbness in the extremities is a possible rare phenomenon. I must admit my fingers do get numb frequently. I was beginning to wonder if I was experiencing a symptom of carpal tunnel syndrome. Small price though!"

48fan (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 22, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I've suffered from chronic migraines since I was a kid and been on Nortriptyline for about a month now. The first two weeks are hard to gauge the effect of it because for the first week I was in a much higher altitude than normal, and the second week was my schools finals. So far very unhappy with the drug as I am still getting 4-5 headaches a week, even during "normal life" with nothing going on. Will be talking to my doctor to see what can be done about it, maybe a different dosage or time taking it will change my opinion. Willing to try anything to reduce headache frequency and severity."

jessmkt (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2016

For Pain: "I suffer from interstitial cystitis and have tried all the medications to keep the burning pain and heaviness in my bladder tolerable. I was given Amitriptylene first (5mg.) and I was like a zombie the entire next day. I tried it a few times to give it a chance but without any change. A specialist that I saw a couple of months suggested that I try Nortriptylene because even though it is in the same family as Amitriptylene sometimes it has a different effect. I have taken it for 4 nights now and have noticed a huge difference in the way my bladder feels. Spasms are gone and the heaviness and burning have gone as well. I haven't slept well since taking it but was having trouble sleeping through the night anyway. No day grogginess though."

LMHO (taken for less than 1 month) January 15, 2016

For Pain: "I had moderate to severe chest pain for over a year. I'm athletic and in good shape. Doctors did all sorts of tests and couldn't find anything wrong with my heart. Aventyl 25 mg after one dose I was pain free and have been so for three months. Life saver!"

Anonymous January 5, 2016

For Pain: "I have Myofascial pain syndrome and median nerve entrapment that makes my fingers numb with tingling sensation. I have a very bad pain on my left scapula that radiates down to my lower back and travels to my left arm down to my fingers- the pain that I cannot explain at all, it disrupts the quality of my life, I thought there's no hope for my pain to go away. My doctor tried some other pain medication including neural injection. After taking 3rd dose of nortriptylline 10mg I can see the difference , my pain is dull and episodic but tolerable. Everyone is different but there's ni harm in trying if we are concern of side effects, all medications have side effects anyway.I recommend to those who are suffering from pain to try this"

Registered Nurse (taken for less than 1 month) December 31, 2015

For Pain: "It made it hard to sleep and I'm groggy all day long. I'm not a fan. 25mg at night."

cholette (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "Have taken 4-5 years now changed my life for the better. A neurologist I saw for over 25 years treated me with 4-5 drugs. The last 15 years prescribed Demerol 100 mg liquid injections. My headaches were 4-5 week. I left that doctor went to my primary who prescribed Nortriptyline 25 Mg 1 pill before going to bed. That has worked so well I don't have but maybe 4-5 headaches a year now!!"

Kathie B December 17, 2015

For Depression: "Helped me sleep at night"

whooty (taken for less than 1 month) December 12, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I was told to give Nortriptyline a chance, as many years ago I had some success with Amitriptyline but that gave me horrible nightmares. I'm dosing up 10 mg at a time, so far I have got up to 50 mg over two months. I noticed the following side effects: increased appetite, unpleasant dreams, dry mouth, fatigue. I started taking the medication at 7 PM instead of right before bed, and that pretty much eliminated the bad dreams. The dry mouth and increased appetite dissipated after two weeks. I only feel tired when I increase the dose now, and that goes away within a few days. Overall not bad at all! Have yet to see any significant benefits, but doctor said they'll check my levels when I'm up to 60 mg (which is low dose)"

mafzal89 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 11, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I've dealt with IBS for years. Recently diagnosed approx 7 months ago. It was debilitating, every morning waking up with a stomach ache. Always misdiagnosed and given other antidepressants. Finally after seeing a Gastroenterologist, my lifesaver prescribed me Nortriptyline at a low dose of 10mg at night I woke up 2 days later pain free! I gave him a huge hug! I'm now on 20 mg. only downside is sleeping issues. But hey, I can deal with that!"

Jotomberg December 5, 2015

For Depression: "My psychiatrist prescribed me this drug after my neurologist had put me on it for migraine prevention after I was on 20mg of Prozac for 15 years for depression and anxiety. I was on a low dose for my migraines so decided to give it a go. I take 100mg at night and the side effects, mainly irritability, was by far the most disturbing. I felt like I could've beaten anyone up and felt so aggressive! Told my doctor and he added Vistaril and Seroquel. This trio helped me greatly and although it did take almost 8 weeks for everything to even out, I now feel SO SO much better!! Prozac was always my go to SSRI but Nortriptyline really pulled through for me in the end since it helps prevent migraines, help my depression, and anxiety!"

OodlesOPoodles (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 28, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I have been on this since the beginning of October 2015.. I never really write any reviews.. but I swear this drug saved my life. . I am a pro athlete and my migraines had got so bad I couldn't train any more. Almost a year went by with no training. . It got to the point that I was going into the hospital at least once a week. . CT scans and Mri. . The whole 9 yards. Finally the ER Dr told me I should really consider taking this so I did. Within 2 weeks I was migraine free. . And haven't had one since. It is truly a life saver. I am also finding that I am in a better place mentally as well."

pro athlete (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 23, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "It works for me! I've had chronic daily headaches, migraines, and neck pain for over 18 years. Once diagnosed with migraines about four years ago, I was able to reduce the frequency and severity by avoiding known triggers (see Buchholz's "Heal Your Headache") but recently the headaches recently returned in force. I convinced my doctor to let me try nortriptyline and it works very well with very mild side effects. I had dry mouth which is not very noticeable now, higher incidence of heartburn than normal, firmer stools, and frequent "weird", vivid dreams. Relief started at 25 mg but I now take 75 mg daily. Migraine frequency is down from 20+ days a month to 1-2. I still avoid most triggers to be safe but this has helped tremendously"

tstaples (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 23, 2015

For Pain: "I have had bad pain in both wrists for one and a half years now, I have had to leave my job as a gardener for 10 years. I found it effective with pain working up to 30mg but stopped as I don't wont to have to always take drugs, but now the pain is back."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 18, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I've suffered from migraines for 25 + years. I had my first appointment with a headache specialist /neurologist this month and she started me on nortriptyline 10 mg, 1 x day for a week and step up to 30 mg daily. That was a Monday. I had a severe migraine from Monday night until Saturday as my last dose was Thur night and headache carried over into Friday. Saturday was much better. I also experienced a terrible pressure in my neck and head like my BP was elevated (normally my BP is great unless I'm in pain). I was incredibly irritable as well. After stopping nortriptyline, the daily headache issue subsided as well as the pressure in neck and head. I still have migraines and will find something else. In short.... No. I won't take it again."

TessaTwo (taken for less than 1 month) November 17, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I've suffered from migraines for 25 years. I had my first appointment with a headache specialist /neurologist this month and she started me on nortriptyline (Pamelor) 10 mg, 1 x day for a week and step up to 30 mg daily. That was a Monday. I had a severe migraine from Monday night until Saturday as my last dose was Thur night and headache carried over into Friday. Saturday was much better. I also experienced a terrible pressure in my neck and head like my BP was elevated (normally my BP is great unless I'm in pain). I was incredibly irritable as well. In short.... No. Just no. I won't take it ever again."

TessaTwo (taken for less than 1 month) November 17, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "Switched from Amitriptyline to Nortriptyline because I was told the side effects were less severe. My vision was already altered because of Amitriptyline so I am unsure for Nortriptyline contributes. The side effects of hostility and aggression have lessened. However the sweating is still constant. Sleeping is okay, just have a hard time falling asleep. The overall experience outweighs the headaches. I am thankful my migraines and daily headaches have lessened"

miniackj (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I never write reviews but for this drug I feel like I have to! I have tried so many drugs, herbal supplements, chiropractor, massage, acupuncture etc. have been hospitalized before for my migraines, and at some periods had them everyday. I thought if this is the reality of my life being in pain everyday, what is the point? This is the only drug which works and has almost no side effects except for at first a dry, nasty tasting mouth which has gone away for the most part. It took a couple days to kick in and I'm on a very low dose of 10 mg which I take at night. It's been almost a week pain free! I feel like a new person and it finally feels like the miracle I've been looking for, so don't give up!"

CJCJCJCJ November 15, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I got a nasty flu virus when I was 32. During that time, I experienced my first migraine. It hurt so bad! Afterwards..I kept getting them about once every one-two weeks. My doctor put me on nortriptyline. I have had one dose increase in the first year. Since then I don't them as much. When I need to take it..it calms me and I fall asleep. The next day,I get the migraine hang over..that's when I take ibuprofen. The medication has been a life saver"

Migraine since 2009 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 14, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "For 25 years I suffered with migraines with aura, numbness in my hands, face, + nausea etc. I tried everything the doctors suggested, & avoided triggers. I haven't eaten chocolate in 32 years, never eat bananas, & I've never had red wine. In 1997, a neurologist prescribed 100mg of Pamalor, and 500mg of Naproxen 2x a day. It completely changed my life. I now stay away from the obvious triggers, & take 50mg a night(75 during my periods) & 250mg naproxen. I get migraines about 5x a year now, & use Imitrex then). I've taken it for 18 years & would like to ween off of it. I don't like the heart concerns associated with it, constipation, nor the weight gain. I exercise daily, maintain a 1200 cal diet, & still gain weight.. 50 lbs in 18 years."

It changed my life (taken for 10 years or more) November 4, 2015

For Pain: "I started at 10 mg at bedtime for pain in my lower back, the pain would go down both legs and was ruining my life- after a few weeks I was up to 60 mg and I am virtually pain free. I am sleeping great, too. The dry mouth usually comes for me after I up the dose, one thing though, I had a numb spot right above my right knee which is caused by a pinched nerve in my pelvic region- the numbness has turned to a fullness in my knee now...weird but I can live with it."

Vibrant Again October 30, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I'm not an effusive person, but for me this is a miracle drug. I have had migraines for 40 years and have tried just about every preventive and palliative med out there. I've been taking this for 6 weeks and have only had 2 migraines (both times I had multiple triggers going) that were relatively mild. I only needed to go up to 20 mg. to get relief. Had a non-migraine headache the first few mornings I started on 10 mg and then 20 mg. but it went away with tylenol. This is the first review I've felt compelled to write for any product."

TrueBeliever (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 27, 2015