User Reviews for Nortriptyline

Also known as: Aventyl Hydrochloride, Pamelor

Learn more about Nortriptyline.

Postherpetic Neuralgia 1 reviews 41 medications

3.2
Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome 3 reviews 2 medications

Summary of Nortriptyline reviews 258 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Nortriptyline

For Pain: "Took this for nerve pain and it helped! Except I would rather ache & have nerve pain than deal with the side effects I experienced. I kept getting nightmares that were so horrific, I eventually started sleeping with the lights on & thus not sleeping as good. Within 6 months I gained 20 lbs without changing my eating habits nor physical activity. Looking back, there was a short period of time when my vision was affected as I had trouble focusing. At the time, I just thought my contacts prescription was getting too strong for me. I decided to revisit the list of side effects and sure enough there they all were. I quit taking Nortriptyline that day and eventually the nightmares, blurred vision, & weight gain went away."

EricaCartman (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 14, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Started taking nortriptyline for chronic pain and noticed all my IBS with diarrhea symptoms were gone!! Bonus! It was so dibilatating and painful, I was miserable. Constant pain, bloating, cramping. This drug has saved my life! It also treated my chronic fatigue. For most people it makes them tired but for me it was the opposite. So very thankful. Three problems fixed with one medication! However, it has increased my heart rate and worsened my anxiety. And also squashed my sex drive. That sucks! But the benefits out weigh the negative."

Melsayles May 10, 2016

For Depression: "Day 1: Took my first dose of 25mg last night about 2200ish. I was still wide awake at 0100. This morning I awoke feeling angry and irritated....reading many of the comments here this seems to be an issue with this medication. I have had 2 failed back surgeries and am trying to avoid the fusion every Dr has said I need. The failed surgeries have made me extremely fearful. I have never ever in my life experienced anything so painful in my life. In 2000 a microdiskectomy and laminectomy led complications. A meningocele the size of a football on my lumbar region. Spinal fluid coming out my nose and ears. My head was going to explode. Now I am willing to try anything to avoid surgery. I'll try this for a few weeks... we will see"

Shari1435 (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2016

For Pain: "I have a "band" of the "fuzzies" crossing top of head, down on each side of my head. "Tinglies" on left of my forehead. Given Nortrip. 25mg, take 2x per day. Really NO change. Have lived with these problems for almost 30 years. Maybe by making me drowsy, then I won't notice nerve pain so much? Whatever."

Jack Reed (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 29, 2016

For Pain: "I just started on this drug 2 weeks now. My doctor prescribed it to me to help deal with my concussion headaches and to help me sleep. The pain-free aspect is quite lovely, however 2 weeks in, and I'm suuuuper groggy. It doesn't help me sleep, but I didn't have a problem with that - it was just the post-concussion headaches. My doctor's main goal seemed to just send me back to work. I'm glad I didn't have to drive into work today because I'm not sure I'd be up for morning rush hour traffic. She only prescribed one month's worth (10 mg pills) & I can't wait to be finished with it. I have noticed a large increase in "chubbiness" around my mid-section. I notice that some weight gain is one of the side effects as well."

Suze9771 April 21, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I've struggled with migraines since I was a child and have manged mostly on Excedrin until age 30 when I first tried Imitrex. The combination helps me but the frequency of my migraines (2-3x) made me seek out a neurologist for preventative medication. I've been on Pamelor for only a week and stopped taking it last night because I couldn't take the side effects anymore: fast heart rate, major heartburn (a burning feeling that reaches up my chest, throat and head), nausea, constipation, blurred vision, anxiety, fatigue, ringing ears. In that week, I had only 1 migraine and had 5 headaches. For me, any potential mitigation of future migraines isn't worth dealing with these side effects. I'm miserable and it's interfering with work and life."

camior (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "Dry mouth, constipation, foul taste in mouth."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I am 28 years old male and veterinary special student in the field of avian diseases at tehran university . I have been diagnosed as IBS(diarrhea dominant & abdominal pain) in 2008. IBS bothered me always and disturbed my private life until my gastroentrologist and psychiatrist prescribed drugs of nortriptyline 10 mg (at least remedible dosage of this drug) at once a day and before bedtime and dicyclomine 10 mg drug at twice to three times in day and at least twenty minutes before food meal and I felt a good and normal life after administration these drugs in during of 1 week. I believed this drug has positive and considerable effects on IBS treatment but no cure however this drug had some side effects and adverse like all other drugs"

Soheil-Vet Iran April 17, 2016

For Pain: "This medication has greatly improved my quality of life! I have chronic tension headaches, everyday and all day, unless I take 25 mg of my Pamelar. I take it every night (because it does make me sleepy) and If I forget my headaches start right back up around 3pm the next day. One downfall is that I seem to craves snacks much more since I've been on this drug. I'll take that side-effect over chronic headache."

momoftots April 12, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I titrated up over two months, 10 mg at a time until I reached 50 mg. The side effects for me were: bad dreams, increased appetite, tiredness, heartburn, decreased sex drive, and sadness. I began taking the medicine at 7 PM and that eliminated the bad dreams. However, the medicine made me feel depressed. I would feel sad and start crying for no reason. This was all in the first 2 months and then the side effects went away. I have been at 50 mg for almost 3 months now and I feel normal! While it was hard for me in the first few months, I stuck with it and sure enough the side effects went away. Unfortunately, I’ve been getting more migraines recently, and so I’m instructed to titrate up to 90 mg... So I'm not sure if it works yet"

mafzal89 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 5, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Had stomach pain for years. When I ate, my stomach would hurt for hours. When it finally calmed down, it was time to eat again. Went to a gastroenterologist. Had a colonoscopy, endoscopy and biopsies. Everything looked all right. Was having awful pain one day and called my gastro doctor for an appt. He could not see me for weeks, but I was told his nurse could. I was hesitant, but did go in & see her the next day. She prescribed 10 mg. Pamelor at bedtime (name brand for nortriptyline). She said it was an antidepressant, but had been found to help many issues. After taking for 3 nights, I felt like a new person. When I went back for followup, I hugged my nurse and said, "You gave me back my life.""

gt85 April 2, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I developed chronic diarrhoea in 2014 that started suddenly and never went away. After extensive tests I was given the diagnosis of IBS. The stomach upsets were so frequent sometimes up to 6 times a day that it was affecting the quality of my life. I could barely make it to the toilet on bad days. I have been taking Allegron/nortriptyline 20mg for 4 nights now and for the first time in years symptom free! It can make me drowsy in evening and morning but I am willing to put up with side effects as feel so much better. Pain free. I have also started a FODMAP diet and in conjunction with the medication and have had quick results."

KKirby5 March 29, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "The first few months being on this drug, it did not work at all. Before taking the drug I would get approximately a headache every other day and a migraine once a week. This continued a couple months after starting the drug at 10 mg. Now, after being on it for 6 months, it is working wonders. I have only gotten 10 headaches in the past 90 days and 1 migraine."

Roni12345 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Started this 4 days ago. So far so good!! No symptoms "

Annabwlle (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2016

Pamelor (nortriptyline) for Depression: "Nortriplene isn't a very good medication for chronic headaches. My neurologist put me on 25mg 2 tabs at bedtime.it's suppose to make you sleeply,however it's quit the opposite, it keeps you awake and makes you very irritable.and you still have a headache,and causes weight gain. medication,especially"

Silvershadow (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 16, 2016

For Pain: "I was given nortriptyline by a pain doctor 7 years ago. It did help somewhat with the pain. However the side effects have been giving me problems ever since. I have problems concentrating but worse than that I daydream constantly. I can't shut it off. It lasts for hours. It is like it turned on a daydreaming switch in my brain and I can't shut it off. I went off of it expecting it to stop. It never has. It gets more unmanageable. I do not know what to do."

sunny51 February 24, 2016

For Pain: "This message is for lbk11 I understand your frustrations. Work isn't everything. It sounds like a cancer could have grown in the area you take nortriptyline for. It sounds exactly like me at the time. I had stage 4 lymphoma and I only had weeks to live. So please get an MRI. Truly find out what wrong with you."

Prophet8909 February 15, 2016

For Pain: "I've never felt so angry in my life than on this drug! Terrible!!!! Frustrating because doctors won't prescribe my OxyContin I've been on for 9 years ( that completely helped my back after 3 failed surgeries) anymore because of all the irresponsible people abusing it! HOW IS THAT FAIR!? So annoyed that people who really need it have to pay the price! So I've been trying all this junk that has terrible side effects."

Mad anger & Major Depression! (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I have been taking 10mg then upped it to 25mg nightly since October. Now I'm not sure if it was migraines I was actually having. I am on holiday in Australia from New Zealand and was on a short trip on the plane from Sydenham to the Gold Coast, 10 minutes in and the light through the bind was too bright so I took 100 mg Sumitriptan as they are pretty fast working but not this time. I lost my vision straight away and ended up having emergency surgery up my nose on a burst pituarty gland so close to my Brain it was bleeding and only so much removed, it benign thank goodness but I'm blind in my right eye possibly permanent and only about 20% vision in my left eye with no left vision and it could take at least a year to function properly."

Kazsmith February 11, 2016

For Neuralgia: "Quick background about me-Female, 23, 5'8" ,122lbs. Started Nortripyline for fibromyalgia and chronic pain. I started off at a low dose, 10mgs, increasing by 10mgs weekly. When I first started it, I was jolted with energy throughout the whole day (which was great because fibro has been causing SO much fatigue) and I had a SUPER dry mouth. The first couple weeks... no other side affects, also was mildly helpful but not entirely. By the time I got to 60mgs, I was disassociating from my body, felt like I was going to crash my car when I drove it, dropped things, couldn't focus, couldn't speak without slurring my words, and I was extremely depressed...so I dropped down to 50mgs and everything is great now. I am also starting Lyrica."

julianarose (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 10, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I've had chronic headaches for 4-5 years and was treating symptoms with OTC meds which eventually became ineffective. Started having severe migraines about once a week for which I finally sought a more permanent treatment. Had some undesirable side effects to a few of the initial prescriptions. Hair loss, nausea, insomnia, etc. I had a rough start with Nortriptyline. As I increased the dosage I experienced prolonged drowsiness and some constipation. After a few weeks the symptoms decreased and my head aches stopped being a daily occurrence. I have had a few migraines since starting but these have also become less frequent. Maybe from once a week to once a month now. Hoping this works for me long-term and doesn't become ineffective."

gmo7286 February 2, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I've been dealing with migraines for about 2 years now. After extensive testing to rule out brain tumours, Wilson's disease, MS, etc, I was essentially told that I would have to manage my migraines for the rest of my life. The only pain meds that worked were T3s which weren't an option when I was getting more than one migraine a week. After trying several medications Nortriptyline actually worked. My only complaint is the worsening of my other symptoms such as vision issues, an essential tremor, and speech difficulties. The benefits far outweigh the costs though. I am a functional person today because of this medication"

UniStudent (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 1, 2016

For Pain: "I suffered severe depression for more than 10 years. I have been recently diagnosed with Fibromuscular dysplasia (one of the effects of this condition is terrible migraines, lightheartedness, insomnia and dizziness) I was unable to function on a daily basis, feeling sleepy at work and miserable. I could not thank enough to my neurologist. He stopped me taking any other antidepressant and put me into this drug...After 15 days I can notice the difference...I am not sleepy during the day, I am able to function, headaches are gone and I am able to sleep straight for 7-8 hours. My doctor told me though that this medication will make me gain weight. I prevent this eating healthier and trying to exercise 3 times a week and it's working"

anonymus1 January 31, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I started taking Nortriptyline a couple years ago after about a six month long migraine that never seemed to get relieved. I had tried amitriptyline before but it made me very drowsy. The headache relief with 75mg daily of Nortriptyline has been nothing short of miraculous for me. I do get rare mild to intermediate headaches from time to time but they never last long at all. The dry mouth is a real occurrence, but easily ignored. I've been reading about other possible side effects lately and was surprised to find that tingling and numbness in the extremities is a possible rare phenomenon. I must admit my fingers do get numb frequently. I was beginning to wonder if I was experiencing a symptom of carpal tunnel syndrome. Small price though!"

48fan (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 22, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I've suffered from chronic migraines since I was a kid and been on Nortriptyline for about a month now. The first two weeks are hard to gauge the effect of it because for the first week I was in a much higher altitude than normal, and the second week was my schools finals. So far very unhappy with the drug as I am still getting 4-5 headaches a week, even during "normal life" with nothing going on. Will be talking to my doctor to see what can be done about it, maybe a different dosage or time taking it will change my opinion. Willing to try anything to reduce headache frequency and severity."

jessmkt (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2016