User Reviews for Nortriptyline

Also known as: Aventyl Hydrochloride, Pamelor

Learn more about Nortriptyline.

Postherpetic Neuralgia 1 reviews 40 medications

Burning Mouth Syndrome 0 reviews 12 medications Not rated - Be the first
Dysautonomia 0 reviews 53 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Nortriptyline reviews 199 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Nortriptyline

For Pain: "It's worked really well for me. I'm so grateful!"

nosoupforyou August 29, 2015

For Pain: "Can't tell if it is working because it was prescribed after epidural. It was prescribed because I could not have orgasm even after 40+ minutes of stimulation when taking gabapentin. I am having the same problem with nortriptyline"

GaMountaineer (taken for less than 1 month) August 18, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I've had migraines my entire life. From when I was 4 years old. They got really bad when I was about 11. They became daily. They absolutely controlled my life. When I found this medication it saved me. I went from having them daily to having them on average 5 times a month. That might seem like a lot, but it's incredibly good for me. Sometimes, as low as twice a month. I've been on this medication now for years. It gave me my life back. The main symptom for me is exhaustion. I feel so tired all the time, especially during the early afternoon. Also blurry vision and occasionally heartburn (when I don't drink enough water in the day.) I'll take these side effects instead of being in horrible pain every day! This medication helped me a LOT."

Nicolemw (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 14, 2015

For Panic Disorder: "Had a few panic attacks, which later lead to constant panic attacks. This caused Agoraphobia. Suffered for 3 years and nortriptyline cured me from them 100%. Stopped the Doom and the attacks. I was on it 3 years and all was perfect. Later, I tired many SSRI's and all on them seemed to induce or create panic attacks. When I stopped the SSR's they went away. I have been free from Panic attacks since. It has now been 10 years clear. Thank you nortriptyline.."

Rob B Rob B August 13, 2015

For Pain: "I started taking this medication after neck surgery c5-c6 this helped me with sleep and functional throughout the day. I went off after i was back to normal. Just recently i had to go back on cause i now have a buldging disc at c4-c5. Without this i could not do my job. The pain is tolerable and still have numb fingers. I do think it is a good medication to try and see if it works for ur nerve pain."

lbk11 August 12, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I started taking it 4 weeks ago to prevent migraines. It seemed to work at first but I noticed severe mood changes and major depression. I had felt okay mentally before taking the medicine. It was a very sudden change in mood and depression. The migraines started to come back as well. I since then have been taken off the medicine."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 11, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I started taking this for Chronic Migraines, and it made them worse."

Meganatorose August 10, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "A neurologist prescribed this for me several years ago because of the terrible debilitating headaches I was having. The kind that puts you in the bed because you can't function. It really did help. I tried awhile back to go off of it and the headaches returned so I started back and they subsided again. I won't try stopping taking it again as long as I stay headache-free."

jangarrett71 (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 9, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Doc prescribed this after I'd been having a lot of stomach cramps followed by diarrhea after eating. I have mixed IBS and cycle between diarrhea and constipation. It worked but the side effects were a bit much It kept having mixed effects on my sleep. I either was wired all night or slept through my alarm. There didn't seem to be any buildup effect, if I missed a dose I was screwed for the next two days. Also noticed a decrease in my sex drive but my increase in episodes was definitely stress induced so who knows. Eventually the constipation got to be too much I will only take it if I'm having more diarrhea episodes. I'm still dealing with gas pain (which I think this medication may have helped with, not 100% sure) and constipation."

Reeseyy August 6, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "Started suffering with severe migraines 2 years ago, presented with sensitivity of light, extreme sickness and impaired cognitive function. Started off on 10mg nortriptyline, increased to 25mg and now 50mg and now I only get migraines once a month, been on it for a year and seen an incredible improvement."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 3, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I have been experiencing significant feelings of my "brain hurting" with it feeling like it wanted to bust out of my skull, was overwhelmed by sounds and sights, feeling off-kilter b/c of brain dizziness. All affected my cognitive functioning (can't think, difficulty processing information, very bad memory, couldn't express myself verbally). Have had just about every scan done possible, showing nothing of concern. My neurologist started me on 25 mg. ofNortriptyline, and the head-hurting has stopped!Still some dizziness and difficulty processing information. Only side effect is dry mouth and a bad taste in my mouth, so always carry water. Happy with just this change as a place to start! I used to just cry, hold my head and stay home."

PsychHike July 30, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "Been taking this for over 2 years now for extreme basilar artery migraines. started at 75mg. recently was upped to 125mg. If I miss a dose boy can I tell. This med works."

JanaJana July 28, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I started getting vertigo during my last pregnancy which transitioned to daily debilitating migraines with or w/o vertigo. After lots of testing my neurologist put me on Nortriptyline and it took about 6 months to get the dosage and migraines/vertigo under control but I am still on 75mg today for the past 7 years. I still have problems with dry mouth and I personally think it makes me a little forgetful (short term memory). I was a little lazy about taking it a few months ago and was wondering if it was still affective after 7 YEARS, and yes it is. One week after not taking it I got vertigo again which I haven't had in 3 years. So I'll be on this for life. I only get breakthrough migraines during my period for which I take a ketaprofen."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 24, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "very beneficial in reducing what were very frequent migraines. I still get them but once a week/fortnight. I am on 40mg/day."

pangur July 21, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "This drug worked great.I was about to lose my job. At first I had very little side effects that didn't bother me. It stopped the loose bowel movements and the stomach pain every time I would eat. Had hard lumpy poops still no pain and a lot better than worrying if I was going to make it to a bathroom. After a year and a half not sure if it was cause of PMS (which never had an problem, a little crabby nothing more) I had a severe panic, anxiety, could not think almost psychotic. So cut my dose in half for a week and then stopped taking it and four days later IBS is back. DR is going to try something else but if it don't work I'm going to go back and risk the mental issues."

Frances41 July 16, 2015

For Pain: "I have Stage 5 CRPS and have been taking 75MG of Nortriptyline (Generic for Pamelor) at bedtime for a few years now. I feel that I have been taking it long enough to say for sure that it helps with my treatment. I recommend this drug, but everyone is different and we all respond to medication differently, I hope Nortriptyline give's you the same hope in your treatment that it has given me."

mjaym1 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 14, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I started suffering from migraines in my early 30's. I had tried everything you could think of. I was missing work 4-5 times a month. I ended up in th emergency room and was given Diloaudi several times (they call this percription heroin because its so very strong. A few weeks back I went to another doctor who gave me Nortriyptyline! He told me my Migraines could be due to stress. For example, I know I have to go to work, I get ready, but then I decide to take the day off. I get a migraine. I work well under pressure, so my brain gets amped up for one thing and it's suddenly changed. Not that anyone asked for my medical history Ha. This medication works wonders!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 12, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I was getting extreme migranes everyday all day with no relief for over three months going to back and forth to the ER, even had an scans because I thought I had a tumor or cancer finally went to see a neurologist he gave me nortiotyline for 3 months and tordal for pain, within days I was feeling better and and by two weeks they were completley gone.. This is the best medicine."

Patty2526 July 10, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I've had very intense migraines since I was 7 years old. Finally went to a neurologist last year and was given 10 mg. This medication changed my life. I missed school at least once a week because of my migraines and now I get at most 2 a month. try not to miss any because its caused me to have a headache the following day. When I do get the occasional migraine, excedrin also works wonders."

taymed (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 24, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "Had a headache for over 6 months, even got scanned for a tumor. Got glasses, avoided computer/tv, removed caffeine from diet. Nothing. Now taking 50mg at bed time for a little over a month with almost no headache. Forgot to fill my prescription and went without for 2 days ... back to an extreme headache. Headache definitely fixed by nortriptyline!"

hyperspectral (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 16, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I had a headache almost every day for over a year, and when I was at the neurologist for a concussion, the daily headaches were finally addressed, and I was put on a medication I was told was often tried before or after Nortriptyline. He said that if this one didn't work, it was likely that Nortryptaline would. I was soon prescribed Nortriptyline: 25mg at night for the first week and 50mg after that. Dry mouth was a side effect, but it went away shortly. When taking 25 of 50mg in the morning, I didn't notice it making me drowsy like I had been warned it would. Bad headaches occurred when stopping the drug for a few days. Subtle dry mouth would happen with the start again. Still taking it, haven't gone 40 days headache free quite yet."

Dom P. June 15, 2015

For Pain: "Very bad, Was given for pain by doctor .Dr told me make sleepy does opposite. Gave me anger and made me depressed. Kinda mad at Dr. My be it's a side affects lol"

209rockstar (taken for less than 1 month) May 30, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "This medication has changed my life! I've only been on it for 10 days and it has worked wonders on me at a very low dose of 10mg! Get it on it NOW if you are suffering from migraines!!"

Migraine sufferer 1983 May 26, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I was actually homebound with post infectious IBS. The pain in my upper abdomen wore me down. I couldn't do anything. This lasted from March of 2014 to March of 2015. I thought I was going to die. Finally a doctor at U of M prescribed nortriptyline 10mg at bedtime. It worked within a few days. My pain was gone. I am now working with a dietician and testing foods to see if there is a trigger to my IBS. But I can have a decent life now!"

Gloryoski May 26, 2015

Pamelor (nortriptyline) for Depression: "I was switched from amitriptyline to nortriptyline and noticed an immediate improvement the following morning. I'm sold."

DDDBBB (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 21, 2015