User Reviews for Nortriptyline

Also known as: Aventyl Hydrochloride, Pamelor

Learn more about Nortriptyline.

Nortriptyline Rating Summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 31 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Nortriptyline to treat Migraine Prevention

"I've had chronic headaches for 4-5 years and was treating symptoms with OTC meds which eventually became ineffective. Started having severe migraines about once a week for which I finally sought a more permanent treatment. Had some undesirable side effects to a few of the initial prescriptions. Hair loss, nausea, insomnia, etc. I had a rough start with Nortriptyline. As I increased the dosage I experienced prolonged drowsiness and some constipation. After a few weeks the symptoms decreased and my head aches stopped being a daily occurrence. I have had a few migraines since starting but these have also become less frequent. Maybe from once a week to once a month now. Hoping this works for me long-term and doesn't become ineffective."

gmo7286 February 2, 2016

"I've been dealing with migraines for about 2 years now. After extensive testing to rule out brain tumours, Wilson's disease, MS, etc, I was essentially told that I would have to manage my migraines for the rest of my life. The only pain meds that worked were T3s which weren't an option when I was getting more than one migraine a week. After trying several medications Nortriptyline actually worked. My only complaint is the worsening of my other symptoms such as vision issues, an essential tremor, and speech difficulties. The benefits far outweigh the costs though. I am a functional person today because of this medication"

UniStudent (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 1, 2016

"I started taking Nortriptyline a couple years ago after about a six month long migraine that never seemed to get relieved. I had tried amitriptyline before but it made me very drowsy. The headache relief with 75mg daily of Nortriptyline has been nothing short of miraculous for me. I do get rare mild to intermediate headaches from time to time but they never last long at all. The dry mouth is a real occurrence, but easily ignored. I've been reading about other possible side effects lately and was surprised to find that tingling and numbness in the extremities is a possible rare phenomenon. I must admit my fingers do get numb frequently. I was beginning to wonder if I was experiencing a symptom of carpal tunnel syndrome. Small price though!"

48fan (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 22, 2016

"I've suffered from chronic migraines since I was a kid and been on Nortriptyline for about a month now. The first two weeks are hard to gauge the effect of it because for the first week I was in a much higher altitude than normal, and the second week was my schools finals. So far very unhappy with the drug as I am still getting 4-5 headaches a week, even during "normal life" with nothing going on. Will be talking to my doctor to see what can be done about it, maybe a different dosage or time taking it will change my opinion. Willing to try anything to reduce headache frequency and severity."

jessmkt (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2016

"Have taken 4-5 years now changed my life for the better. A neurologist I saw for over 25 years treated me with 4-5 drugs. The last 15 years prescribed Demerol 100 mg liquid injections. My headaches were 4-5 week. I left that doctor went to my primary who prescribed Nortriptyline 25 Mg 1 pill before going to bed. That has worked so well I don't have but maybe 4-5 headaches a year now!!"

Kathie B December 17, 2015

"I was told to give Nortriptyline a chance, as many years ago I had some success with Amitriptyline but that gave me horrible nightmares. I'm dosing up 10 mg at a time, so far I have got up to 50 mg over two months. I noticed the following side effects: increased appetite, unpleasant dreams, dry mouth, fatigue. I started taking the medication at 7 PM instead of right before bed, and that pretty much eliminated the bad dreams. The dry mouth and increased appetite dissipated after two weeks. I only feel tired when I increase the dose now, and that goes away within a few days. Overall not bad at all! Have yet to see any significant benefits, but doctor said they'll check my levels when I'm up to 60 mg (which is low dose)"

mafzal89 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 11, 2015

"I have been on this since the beginning of October 2015.. I never really write any reviews.. but I swear this drug saved my life. . I am a pro athlete and my migraines had got so bad I couldn't train any more. Almost a year went by with no training. . It got to the point that I was going into the hospital at least once a week. . CT scans and Mri. . The whole 9 yards. Finally the ER Dr told me I should really consider taking this so I did. Within 2 weeks I was migraine free. . And haven't had one since. It is truly a life saver. I am also finding that I am in a better place mentally as well."

pro athlete (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 23, 2015

"It works for me! I've had chronic daily headaches, migraines, and neck pain for over 18 years. Once diagnosed with migraines about four years ago, I was able to reduce the frequency and severity by avoiding known triggers (see Buchholz's "Heal Your Headache") but recently the headaches recently returned in force. I convinced my doctor to let me try nortriptyline and it works very well with very mild side effects. I had dry mouth which is not very noticeable now, higher incidence of heartburn than normal, firmer stools, and frequent "weird", vivid dreams. Relief started at 25 mg but I now take 75 mg daily. Migraine frequency is down from 20+ days a month to 1-2. I still avoid most triggers to be safe but this has helped tremendously"

tstaples (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 23, 2015

"I've suffered from migraines for 25 + years. I had my first appointment with a headache specialist /neurologist this month and she started me on nortriptyline 10 mg, 1 x day for a week and step up to 30 mg daily. That was a Monday. I had a severe migraine from Monday night until Saturday as my last dose was Thur night and headache carried over into Friday. Saturday was much better. I also experienced a terrible pressure in my neck and head like my BP was elevated (normally my BP is great unless I'm in pain). I was incredibly irritable as well. After stopping nortriptyline, the daily headache issue subsided as well as the pressure in neck and head. I still have migraines and will find something else. In short.... No. I won't take it again."

TessaTwo (taken for less than 1 month) November 17, 2015

"I've suffered from migraines for 25 years. I had my first appointment with a headache specialist /neurologist this month and she started me on nortriptyline (Pamelor) 10 mg, 1 x day for a week and step up to 30 mg daily. That was a Monday. I had a severe migraine from Monday night until Saturday as my last dose was Thur night and headache carried over into Friday. Saturday was much better. I also experienced a terrible pressure in my neck and head like my BP was elevated (normally my BP is great unless I'm in pain). I was incredibly irritable as well. In short.... No. Just no. I won't take it ever again."

TessaTwo (taken for less than 1 month) November 17, 2015

"Switched from Amitriptyline to Nortriptyline because I was told the side effects were less severe. My vision was already altered because of Amitriptyline so I am unsure for Nortriptyline contributes. The side effects of hostility and aggression have lessened. However the sweating is still constant. Sleeping is okay, just have a hard time falling asleep. The overall experience outweighs the headaches. I am thankful my migraines and daily headaches have lessened"

miniackj (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2015

"I never write reviews but for this drug I feel like I have to! I have tried so many drugs, herbal supplements, chiropractor, massage, acupuncture etc. have been hospitalized before for my migraines, and at some periods had them everyday. I thought if this is the reality of my life being in pain everyday, what is the point? This is the only drug which works and has almost no side effects except for at first a dry, nasty tasting mouth which has gone away for the most part. It took a couple days to kick in and I'm on a very low dose of 10 mg which I take at night. It's been almost a week pain free! I feel like a new person and it finally feels like the miracle I've been looking for, so don't give up!"

CJCJCJCJ November 15, 2015

"I got a nasty flu virus when I was 32. During that time, I experienced my first migraine. It hurt so bad! Afterwards..I kept getting them about once every one-two weeks. My doctor put me on nortriptyline. I have had one dose increase in the first year. Since then I don't them as much. When I need to take it..it calms me and I fall asleep. The next day,I get the migraine hang over..that's when I take ibuprofen. The medication has been a life saver"

Migraine since 2009 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 14, 2015

"For 25 years I suffered with migraines with aura, numbness in my hands, face, + nausea etc. I tried everything the doctors suggested, & avoided triggers. I haven't eaten chocolate in 32 years, never eat bananas, & I've never had red wine. In 1997, a neurologist prescribed 100mg of Pamalor, and 500mg of Naproxen 2x a day. It completely changed my life. I now stay away from the obvious triggers, & take 50mg a night(75 during my periods) & 250mg naproxen. I get migraines about 5x a year now, & use Imitrex then). I've taken it for 18 years & would like to ween off of it. I don't like the heart concerns associated with it, constipation, nor the weight gain. I exercise daily, maintain a 1200 cal diet, & still gain weight.. 50 lbs in 18 years."

It changed my life (taken for 10 years or more) November 4, 2015

"I'm not an effusive person, but for me this is a miracle drug. I have had migraines for 40 years and have tried just about every preventive and palliative med out there. I've been taking this for 6 weeks and have only had 2 migraines (both times I had multiple triggers going) that were relatively mild. I only needed to go up to 20 mg. to get relief. Had a non-migraine headache the first few mornings I started on 10 mg and then 20 mg. but it went away with tylenol. This is the first review I've felt compelled to write for any product."

TrueBeliever (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 27, 2015

"Nortriptyline comes in 10, 25, and at LEAST 50mg. I think it also comes in larger doses. I have taken it for migraine prevention for several years then it stopped working as well. I currently take Venoflaxalin (or however you spell it) The problem I currently have is my GP prescribed Nortriptyline for my neuropathy I have gotten from a side effect of taking Levaquin. DON'T EVER TAKE!! I am taking 50mg as that seems to be the level that has helped. I titrated up to that level. EVERYTHING I read tell me I shouldn't be taking these 2meds together as it may cause a seratonin reaction that could be very serious. I have reduced the Venoflaxalin, but I am waking with DAILY migraines. I don't think my GP is informed."

Anonymous October 15, 2015

"Overall this medicine prevented migraines. I found that I had less migraines, but when I do get migraines they are of the same severity as when I'm not being medicated. I have no side effects that I know of. Previous medicines didn't decrease the frequency but did decrease severity. However, I had numbness in my hands and feet while on these medicines."

Clarh (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 13, 2015

"I have suffered from migraines for the last 22 years, have tried lots of things that do little to nothing. I started taking nortriptyline 10mg nightly as I was getting them daily, they slightly reduced to maybe a gap of 3 days. Still not good when your working so I got the dosage increased to 2 x 10mg at night. It has made a huge difference but I'm going through my script too quick so I've asked to have it increased to 1 x 25 mg as they only come in 10mg & 25mg. I feel so much better as I can now go over a week without a migraine which is like heaven having a normal life once again. Good luck everyone I fully recommend this medication"

Kazsmith October 9, 2015

"I was offered this as an alternative to amitriptyline because it made me so drowsy I was struggling to function in the morning. I went to a neurology clinic, ended up in tears explaining how daily headaches were making me feel. So neurologist prescribed me the 25mg twice a day to increase to 50mg twice a day which to me was scary, I don't have depression I have a headache! my pharmacist advised me to try half a tablet once a day (12.5mg effectively) and its day 5 now. I can honestly say I haven't felt this level of pain in my head since I was admitted to hospital for a migraine back in January. I can't concentrate on anything, my vision is blurry, and my head feels too heavy to be supported by my neck. have zero energy and no balance! good luck"

BearSoreHead (taken for less than 1 month) October 3, 2015

"I was so hoping this was going to be the answer to my prayers like it has been for many of you. I still think this is def worth a try. Its either a hit or miss it seems. Its obv working for so many. For me, I needed an exorcism. lol I was extremely irritable, yelling, rage, crazy. Extreme insomnia. Heart palpitations, severe anxiety, & night terrors to top it off. ugh I have Sjogrens so treatment options are limited for me plus I'm freakishly sensitive. I barely made it 3 days. Good luck to you."

MissAces320 (taken for less than 1 month) October 1, 2015

"I was prescribed Pamelor by my neurologist and began taking it 29 days ago. He suggested trying either an anti-depressant or anti-seizure medication because both are known to help alleviate migraine suffering in some people. I wanted to go the anti-depressant route since I am also chronically depressed, and since counseling and other medications I have tried did not help. After the first week on Pamelor the migraines were drastically reduced in both frequency and severity, and I went the next three weeks without any pain in my head. My mood is stabilized, I have a clarity that I have never had, and getting out of bed in the morning is no longer excruciating. I am on 10 mg to start and will go higher if it is an option at next appointment."

LookingUp! (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 29, 2015

"I had debilitating migraines for a few months. Eyes were blurry 24/7, ice pick headaches, dizziness. Got an MRI to rule everything out. Diagnosed with chronic headaches. Neurologist put me on Nortriptyline. Started out with 10mg, each week added another 10mg till I was up to 40 mg. By the second week, my headache went way down. In a month it was completely gone. Tried to wean myself down, but headache returned. I'm staying on the 40 mg! I feel great now! This stuff works!!"

No More Headahes (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 21, 2015

"I've had migraines my entire life. From when I was 4 years old. They got really bad when I was about 11. They became daily. They absolutely controlled my life. When I found this medication it saved me. I went from having them daily to having them on average 5 times a month. That might seem like a lot, but it's incredibly good for me. Sometimes, as low as twice a month. I've been on this medication now for years. It gave me my life back. The main symptom for me is exhaustion. I feel so tired all the time, especially during the early afternoon. Also blurry vision and occasionally heartburn (when I don't drink enough water in the day.) I'll take these side effects instead of being in horrible pain every day! This medication helped me a LOT."

Nicolemw (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 14, 2015

"I started taking it 4 weeks ago to prevent migraines. It seemed to work at first but I noticed severe mood changes and major depression. I had felt okay mentally before taking the medicine. It was a very sudden change in mood and depression. The migraines started to come back as well. I since then have been taken off the medicine."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 11, 2015

"I started taking this for Chronic Migraines, and it made them worse."

Meganatorose August 10, 2015