User Reviews for Nortriptyline

Also known as: Aventyl Hydrochloride, Pamelor

Learn more about Nortriptyline.

Nortriptyline Review Summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 31 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Nortriptyline to treat Migraine Prevention

"I've had migraines my entire life. From when I was 4 years old. They got really bad when I was about 11. They became daily. They absolutely controlled my life. When I found this medication it saved me. I went from having them daily to having them on average 5 times a month. That might seem like a lot, but it's incredibly good for me. Sometimes, as low as twice a month. I've been on this medication now for years. It gave me my life back. The main symptom for me is exhaustion. I feel so tired all the time, especially during the early afternoon. Also blurry vision and occasionally heartburn (when I don't drink enough water in the day.) I'll take these side effects instead of being in horrible pain every day! This medication helped me a LOT."

Nicolemw (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 14, 2015

"I started taking it 4 weeks ago to prevent migraines. It seemed to work at first but I noticed severe mood changes and major depression. I had felt okay mentally before taking the medicine. It was a very sudden change in mood and depression. The migraines started to come back as well. I since then have been taken off the medicine."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 11, 2015

"I started taking this for Chronic Migraines, and it made them worse."

Meganatorose August 10, 2015

"A neurologist prescribed this for me several years ago because of the terrible debilitating headaches I was having. The kind that puts you in the bed because you can't function. It really did help. I tried awhile back to go off of it and the headaches returned so I started back and they subsided again. I won't try stopping taking it again as long as I stay headache-free."

jangarrett71 (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 9, 2015

"Started suffering with severe migraines 2 years ago, presented with sensitivity of light, extreme sickness and impaired cognitive function. Started off on 10mg nortriptyline, increased to 25mg and now 50mg and now I only get migraines once a month, been on it for a year and seen an incredible improvement."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 3, 2015

"I have been experiencing significant feelings of my "brain hurting" with it feeling like it wanted to bust out of my skull, was overwhelmed by sounds and sights, feeling off-kilter b/c of brain dizziness. All affected my cognitive functioning (can't think, difficulty processing information, very bad memory, couldn't express myself verbally). Have had just about every scan done possible, showing nothing of concern. My neurologist started me on 25 mg. ofNortriptyline, and the head-hurting has stopped!Still some dizziness and difficulty processing information. Only side effect is dry mouth and a bad taste in my mouth, so always carry water. Happy with just this change as a place to start! I used to just cry, hold my head and stay home."

PsychHike July 30, 2015

"Been taking this for over 2 years now for extreme basilar artery migraines. started at 75mg. recently was upped to 125mg. If I miss a dose boy can I tell. This med works."

JanaJana July 28, 2015

"I started getting vertigo during my last pregnancy which transitioned to daily debilitating migraines with or w/o vertigo. After lots of testing my neurologist put me on Nortriptyline and it took about 6 months to get the dosage and migraines/vertigo under control but I am still on 75mg today for the past 7 years. I still have problems with dry mouth and I personally think it makes me a little forgetful (short term memory). I was a little lazy about taking it a few months ago and was wondering if it was still affective after 7 YEARS, and yes it is. One week after not taking it I got vertigo again which I haven't had in 3 years. So I'll be on this for life. I only get breakthrough migraines during my period for which I take a ketaprofen."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 24, 2015

"very beneficial in reducing what were very frequent migraines. I still get them but once a week/fortnight. I am on 40mg/day."

pangur July 21, 2015

"I started suffering from migraines in my early 30's. I had tried everything you could think of. I was missing work 4-5 times a month. I ended up in th emergency room and was given Diloaudi several times (they call this percription heroin because its so very strong. A few weeks back I went to another doctor who gave me Nortriyptyline! He told me my Migraines could be due to stress. For example, I know I have to go to work, I get ready, but then I decide to take the day off. I get a migraine. I work well under pressure, so my brain gets amped up for one thing and it's suddenly changed. Not that anyone asked for my medical history Ha. This medication works wonders!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 12, 2015

"I was getting extreme migranes everyday all day with no relief for over three months going to back and forth to the ER, even had an scans because I thought I had a tumor or cancer finally went to see a neurologist he gave me nortiotyline for 3 months and tordal for pain, within days I was feeling better and and by two weeks they were completley gone.. This is the best medicine."

Patty2526 July 10, 2015

"I've had very intense migraines since I was 7 years old. Finally went to a neurologist last year and was given 10 mg. This medication changed my life. I missed school at least once a week because of my migraines and now I get at most 2 a month. try not to miss any because its caused me to have a headache the following day. When I do get the occasional migraine, excedrin also works wonders."

taymed (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 24, 2015

"Had a headache for over 6 months, even got scanned for a tumor. Got glasses, avoided computer/tv, removed caffeine from diet. Nothing. Now taking 50mg at bed time for a little over a month with almost no headache. Forgot to fill my prescription and went without for 2 days ... back to an extreme headache. Headache definitely fixed by nortriptyline!"

hyperspectral (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 16, 2015

"I had a headache almost every day for over a year, and when I was at the neurologist for a concussion, the daily headaches were finally addressed, and I was put on a medication I was told was often tried before or after Nortriptyline. He said that if this one didn't work, it was likely that Nortryptaline would. I was soon prescribed Nortriptyline: 25mg at night for the first week and 50mg after that. Dry mouth was a side effect, but it went away shortly. When taking 25 of 50mg in the morning, I didn't notice it making me drowsy like I had been warned it would. Bad headaches occurred when stopping the drug for a few days. Subtle dry mouth would happen with the start again. Still taking it, haven't gone 40 days headache free quite yet."

Dom P. June 15, 2015

"This medication has changed my life! I've only been on it for 10 days and it has worked wonders on me at a very low dose of 10mg! Get it on it NOW if you are suffering from migraines!!"

Migraine sufferer 1983 May 26, 2015

"Have had migraines off/on since my teens in varying degrees. Within the last few years they have become more regular and with a vengeance. Tried various meds with my GP, finally started Nortriptyline, 10 mg for a week, then up to 20, etc. until no headaches. I went up to 40 mg. but experienced frequent night terrors and was scared down to back to 30 mg. (for 18mo which is still effective and reduced night terrors. No heart palpitations, but do experience dry mouth. Recently, I thought I would titrate down to 20 mg. BAD mistake, I experienced the famous ice pick headache for two days. I am now back on my lovely 30 mg. I have to be careful to make sure I am going to get at least 7 hrs sleep or I am very groggy next am for a few hrs"

vhope (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 28, 2015

"I started experiencing migranes on a DAILY basis in June 2014. I tried numerous over the counter medications and medications prescribed by my GP. In March 2015 I was referred to a neurologist who suggested I try Nortriptyline starting at 25mg before bed. I have progressed to 50mg as although the migranes went away I was still suffering with headaches at least 4 times a week. I am happy and only suffering irregular heart palpitations and night terrors. But overall I am extremely happy and am so thankful that life is back to normal. I can now function and go about my daily activities without constant pain."

Charly1f (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 22, 2015

"I've had migraines since my teens and they become more frequent as an adult. A doctor prescribed nortriptyline as a preventative in my mid 20s. It worked well for me. We did 10mg at night for a few months and stopped it worked well. When the migraines became more frequent a few years later we switched to continued use and 20mg a night. Migraines are now rare unless I am dealing with serious stress. Headaches in general have been reduced in number."

Janet Bryd (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 21, 2015

"I am 40 and have had migraines since I was 18. I started taking the nortriptyline and it has changed my life. I have been taking his for about 8 years. Was having migraines twice a week and now only have them twice a year. Miracle!!"

kathyElaine March 15, 2015

"Never really had headaches until after brain surgery for a cavernous malformation. After the surgery was okay for about a month and then had headaches everyday. I was just learning how to live with them but somedays I just needed to stay in bed. Had a neurologist try one med that knocked me out and switched to a new neurologist that put me on this med. After one week I was a new person. Have been on it for several months with maybe one headache and I think that trigger was lack of food. I am sold on this medication it has been life changing. I did notice there were lots of side effects and was nervous at first but the benefits totally out weigh the dry mouth I get. Trying Biotine mouth was for that. Sleeping well too"

Yogamomof4 March 9, 2015

"I've had migraines with aura since my early 20s (I'm 45 now). Over the past few years their frequency had increased. As of December 2013, I was having them about 2- times per week. I was put on Nortriptyline 50 mg/day. I have had only one migraine in the past 14 months (and the one I had was when I tried to reduce the dosage). The dry mouth & orthostatic hypotension have stopped. The only problem is that I really cannot drink very much alcohol."

Anonymous March 3, 2015

"I've been on this for 3 weeks now and it helps so much. I used to have migraines that would last up to 3-4 days at a time non stop. Lately I have only had 1 mild headache a week. Wish I was put on this years ago."

Suneshinegirl February 23, 2015

"I started having episodic migraines when I was 8, and it turned into chronic migraine when I was 16 (I'm 18 now). Untreated, I usually have a migraine every day. After playing with a few different treatment options, my doctor put me on Pamelor. 50mg for the first two months, and then 100mg for the second two. Almost as soon as I started taking it, I started experiencing the adverse side effects. Dry mouth, light-headedness, exhausted 24/7. But the worst were the nightmares. Vivid, every night. I would wake up screaming. I stopped the medicine two weeks ago, but the nightmares still haven't stopped. And the medicine made absolutely no difference in my migraines. Still had them every day."

logaandreew February 19, 2015

"I've been on this for a month or so at 25mg a day and it has reduced my headaches down from one every day with a migraine once a week to about a headache a week and I haven't had a migraine yet. When I take this I have noticed that I sleep better. I also have dry mouth with this unfortunately but it is nothing compared to having daily headaches. (18 years old, female, migraines since age 4)."

alymarie (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 13, 2014

"Three months ago I started the Nortriptyline 10mg daily to help with very disabling migraine with aura. So far so good. I haven't had a migraine, and I would normally have had one or two in that time. For a couple of years I have been taking 400mg daily vitamin B2, but I was still getting sick. So I've added the Nortriptyline. I also, now, am very careful to not become constipated, and that may be making a difference. But, it looks like the Nortriptyline has been good for me. My migraines started at about 13; I'm 61 now."

khwb (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 27, 2014