User Reviews for Nortriptyline

Also known as: Aventyl Hydrochloride, Pamelor

Learn more about Nortriptyline.

Nortriptyline Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 1898 medications used in the treatment of Pain.

Reviews for Nortriptyline to treat Pain

"I suffered severe depression for more than 10 years. I have been recently diagnosed with Fibromuscular dysplasia (one of the effects of this condition is terrible migraines, lightheartedness, insomnia and dizziness) I was unable to function on a daily basis, feeling sleepy at work and miserable. I could not thank enough to my neurologist. He stopped me taking any other antidepressant and put me into this drug...After 15 days I can notice the difference...I am not sleepy during the day, I am able to function, headaches are gone and I am able to sleep straight for 7-8 hours. My doctor told me though that this medication will make me gain weight. I prevent this eating healthier and trying to exercise 3 times a week and it's working"

anonymus1 January 31, 2016

"I suffer from interstitial cystitis and have tried all the medications to keep the burning pain and heaviness in my bladder tolerable. I was given Amitriptylene first (5mg.) and I was like a zombie the entire next day. I tried it a few times to give it a chance but without any change. A specialist that I saw a couple of months suggested that I try Nortriptylene because even though it is in the same family as Amitriptylene sometimes it has a different effect. I have taken it for 4 nights now and have noticed a huge difference in the way my bladder feels. Spasms are gone and the heaviness and burning have gone as well. I haven't slept well since taking it but was having trouble sleeping through the night anyway. No day grogginess though."

LMHO (taken for less than 1 month) January 15, 2016

"I had moderate to severe chest pain for over a year. I'm athletic and in good shape. Doctors did all sorts of tests and couldn't find anything wrong with my heart. Aventyl 25 mg after one dose I was pain free and have been so for three months. Life saver!"

Anonymous January 5, 2016

"I have Myofascial pain syndrome and median nerve entrapment that makes my fingers numb with tingling sensation. I have a very bad pain on my left scapula that radiates down to my lower back and travels to my left arm down to my fingers- the pain that I cannot explain at all, it disrupts the quality of my life, I thought there's no hope for my pain to go away. My doctor tried some other pain medication including neural injection. After taking 3rd dose of nortriptylline 10mg I can see the difference , my pain is dull and episodic but tolerable. Everyone is different but there's ni harm in trying if we are concern of side effects, all medications have side effects anyway.I recommend to those who are suffering from pain to try this"

Registered Nurse (taken for less than 1 month) December 31, 2015

"It made it hard to sleep and I'm groggy all day long. I'm not a fan. 25mg at night."

cholette (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2015

"I have had bad pain in both wrists for one and a half years now, I have had to leave my job as a gardener for 10 years. I found it effective with pain working up to 30mg but stopped as I don't wont to have to always take drugs, but now the pain is back."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 18, 2015

"I started at 10 mg at bedtime for pain in my lower back, the pain would go down both legs and was ruining my life- after a few weeks I was up to 60 mg and I am virtually pain free. I am sleeping great, too. The dry mouth usually comes for me after I up the dose, one thing though, I had a numb spot right above my right knee which is caused by a pinched nerve in my pelvic region- the numbness has turned to a fullness in my knee now...weird but I can live with it."

Vibrant Again October 30, 2015

"Started 25mg last night; no results. Took it again tonight and am still awake 7 hours after taking it! Wondering how long it takes to work?"

chrjen64 October 1, 2015

"Makes me cramp in my stomach and doesn't help with pain or depression. I've been used as a guinea pig on all kinds of meds for pain and depression and the meds that help me my doctor won't prescribe. Crazy Right"

sassy frass September 22, 2015

"It's worked really well for me. I'm so grateful!"

nosoupforyou August 29, 2015

"Can't tell if it is working because it was prescribed after epidural. It was prescribed because I could not have orgasm even after 40+ minutes of stimulation when taking gabapentin. I am having the same problem with nortriptyline"

GaMountaineer (taken for less than 1 month) August 18, 2015

"I started taking this medication after neck surgery c5-c6 this helped me with sleep and functional throughout the day. I went off after i was back to normal. Just recently i had to go back on cause i now have a buldging disc at c4-c5. Without this i could not do my job. The pain is tolerable and still have numb fingers. I do think it is a good medication to try and see if it works for ur nerve pain."

lbk11 August 12, 2015

"I have Stage 5 CRPS and have been taking 75MG of Nortriptyline (Generic for Pamelor) at bedtime for a few years now. I feel that I have been taking it long enough to say for sure that it helps with my treatment. I recommend this drug, but everyone is different and we all respond to medication differently, I hope Nortriptyline give's you the same hope in your treatment that it has given me."

mjaym1 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 14, 2015

"Very bad, Was given for pain by doctor .Dr told me make sleepy does opposite. Gave me anger and made me depressed. Kinda mad at Dr. My be it's a side affects lol"

209rockstar (taken for less than 1 month) May 30, 2015

"I was prescribed this drug for pain from osteoarthritis. It made no difference to my pain and even after upping it to 40mg I was still unable to sleep."

Toni Anita April 16, 2015

"I have a bulging disc (L5-S1) lots of pain especially during sleep. Started on this 2 weeks ago. Take 20 mg at bedtime and now sleep well through the night. Very pleased here. No side effects."

Postcards March 14, 2015

109 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have unexplained nerve pain for about two years..after trying so many pills I was at the end of my hope. All the pills either made me feel like a zombie or I gained weight. I tried 10 mg of Nortriptyline and it has given me back my life! I have been on them for around 3 months now and hardly any pain."

Patsy 7 December 23, 2014

235 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been living with chronic back and hip pain for 12 years. I have had many surgeries with little to no relief of pain. After being in the pain management program at Kaiser for 2 months the doctor prescribed nortriptyline and within days I felt like a new person. Even just sitting doing nothing was painful and now I can do my daily household chores with little pain. Some things are still difficult but my daily life has improved substantially."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 20, 2014

165 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I had no side effects. The medicine really worked for me. I was able to stay on my job for 47 years before retiring."

cookiec (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 19, 2014

146 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"You name it I have every back problem known to man. I have been on this medicine for only a month. And I live a pain free life. I do have hyper activities but that's disappearing dry mouth and no appetite, and without eating as much my blood sugar level have been wonderful, (hypoglycemia). I love the way I feel , I have told many people, this is a miracle. "

Karla K December 9, 2014

177 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been taking nortriptyline 10mg capsules (6 capsules for 60 mg) every night before I go to bed for over 3 months now. I was involved in a MVA collision by a drunk driver and I now suffer constant head pain. I now have Post Concussive Head Syndrome. I was taking narcotics constantly because of the head pain, I do not have migraines. I was able to be seen by a neurologist and because of the frustration and anger I had against the drunk driver, well the nortriptyline has help considerably in my head pain and also feeling depressed. The only side effect I am experiencing is dry mouth and sleeplessness. I am now taking it 2 to 3 hours before I go to sleep. There was a couple of times I missed the doses and the pain was there again."

Gramma M (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 1, 2014

"I'm 21 years old and have been suffering from chronic abdominal pain and Irritable Bowel Syndrome for almost two years now. I started the nortriptyline about a year ago after countless trips to the hospital to get a grip on my pain. Since last summer, I've noticed a HUGE difference since being on the nortriptyline. There is still some pain, but the medicine really calmed everything down. The only thing that I frown upon is the fact that it makes me very tired. Even though I take it at bedtime. I take 75mg every night and I wake up feeling groggy every day. I'm not sure if anyone else has had this experience and side effect. But I'd rather be tired than in pain, good luck to everyone!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 7, 2014

194 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I'm being treated with nortriptyline for abdominal wall pain due to having irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) for almost 40 years now. I still have pain in other areas but this does the trick for the abdominal pain, which is like the pain you get in your side after you've been running for a long time. It wasn't just a stabbing pain, though, it came, it stayed and wouldn't go away. I only take 10mg and my prescription says to increase as necessary, but I've been on it successfully for over a year now. I stopped it once with the ok of the doctor but within three weeks the pain returned, so I started back up on it. I do have the dry mouth and sometimes restless sleep but I can handle that...I couldn't handle the abdominal pain..this worked!"

chiwawa mama (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 26, 2014

114 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am 40 year old woman and I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and Myofascial pain syndrome around 2 years ago and had symptoms for about 3 years before that. This medication was my doctor's first choice. I am a member of one of leading health care providers in CA, and she said that they have had much success prescribing this medication to patients with nerve pain disorders. This medicine made a considerable difference in my quality of life, improving my sleep, pain, stiffness, and tenderness. I take 30mg every evening before bed and make sure that I get about 8-9 hours sleep. I can always tell the next day if I've forgotten my dose. I plan on taking it for as long as it helps."

Fibro/Myofascial pain (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 20, 2014

215 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"When I was 47 I was diagnosed with arthritis in my neck which was triggering migraines and shoulder pain. Even 800 mg of Motrin didn't help. Nortriptyline was a miracle and I am migraine free. I tried going off of it about 4 times, and every time I had headaches and shoulder pain the next day. I am so thankful for Nortriptyline because I can go to work and think clearly without a headache clouding my thoughts."

Pain is Gone! (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 9, 2014

176 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 Next