User Reviews for Nortriptyline

Also known as: Aventyl Hydrochloride, Pamelor

Learn more about Nortriptyline.

Nortriptyline Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 1849 medications used in the treatment of Pain.

Reviews for Nortriptyline to treat Pain

"I have a "band" of the "fuzzies" crossing top of head, down on each side of my head. "Tinglies" on left of my forehead. Given Nortrip. 25mg, take 2x per day. Really NO change. Have lived with these problems for almost 30 years. Maybe by making me drowsy, then I won't notice nerve pain so much? Whatever."

Jack Reed (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 29, 2016

"I just started on this drug 2 weeks now. My doctor prescribed it to me to help deal with my concussion headaches and to help me sleep. The pain-free aspect is quite lovely, however 2 weeks in, and I'm suuuuper groggy. It doesn't help me sleep, but I didn't have a problem with that - it was just the post-concussion headaches. My doctor's main goal seemed to just send me back to work. I'm glad I didn't have to drive into work today because I'm not sure I'd be up for morning rush hour traffic. She only prescribed one month's worth (10 mg pills) & I can't wait to be finished with it. I have noticed a large increase in "chubbiness" around my mid-section. I notice that some weight gain is one of the side effects as well."

Suze9771 April 21, 2016

"This medication has greatly improved my quality of life! I have chronic tension headaches, everyday and all day, unless I take 25 mg of my Pamelar. I take it every night (because it does make me sleepy) and If I forget my headaches start right back up around 3pm the next day. One downfall is that I seem to craves snacks much more since I've been on this drug. I'll take that side-effect over chronic headache."

momoftots April 12, 2016

"I was given nortriptyline by a pain doctor 7 years ago. It did help somewhat with the pain. However the side effects have been giving me problems ever since. I have problems concentrating but worse than that I daydream constantly. I can't shut it off. It lasts for hours. It is like it turned on a daydreaming switch in my brain and I can't shut it off. I went off of it expecting it to stop. It never has. It gets more unmanageable. I do not know what to do."

sunny51 February 24, 2016

"This message is for lbk11 I understand your frustrations. Work isn't everything. It sounds like a cancer could have grown in the area you take nortriptyline for. It sounds exactly like me at the time. I had stage 4 lymphoma and I only had weeks to live. So please get an MRI. Truly find out what wrong with you."

Prophet8909 February 15, 2016

"I've never felt so angry in my life than on this drug! Terrible!!!! Frustrating because doctors won't prescribe my OxyContin I've been on for 9 years ( that completely helped my back after 3 failed surgeries) anymore because of all the irresponsible people abusing it! HOW IS THAT FAIR!? So annoyed that people who really need it have to pay the price! So I've been trying all this junk that has terrible side effects."

Mad anger & Major Depression! (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2016

"I suffered severe depression for more than 10 years. I have been recently diagnosed with Fibromuscular dysplasia (one of the effects of this condition is terrible migraines, lightheartedness, insomnia and dizziness) I was unable to function on a daily basis, feeling sleepy at work and miserable. I could not thank enough to my neurologist. He stopped me taking any other antidepressant and put me into this drug...After 15 days I can notice the difference...I am not sleepy during the day, I am able to function, headaches are gone and I am able to sleep straight for 7-8 hours. My doctor told me though that this medication will make me gain weight. I prevent this eating healthier and trying to exercise 3 times a week and it's working"

anonymus1 January 31, 2016

"I suffer from interstitial cystitis and have tried all the medications to keep the burning pain and heaviness in my bladder tolerable. I was given Amitriptylene first (5mg.) and I was like a zombie the entire next day. I tried it a few times to give it a chance but without any change. A specialist that I saw a couple of months suggested that I try Nortriptylene because even though it is in the same family as Amitriptylene sometimes it has a different effect. I have taken it for 4 nights now and have noticed a huge difference in the way my bladder feels. Spasms are gone and the heaviness and burning have gone as well. I haven't slept well since taking it but was having trouble sleeping through the night anyway. No day grogginess though."

LMHO (taken for less than 1 month) January 15, 2016

"I had moderate to severe chest pain for over a year. I'm athletic and in good shape. Doctors did all sorts of tests and couldn't find anything wrong with my heart. Aventyl 25 mg after one dose I was pain free and have been so for three months. Life saver!"

Anonymous January 5, 2016

"I have Myofascial pain syndrome and median nerve entrapment that makes my fingers numb with tingling sensation. I have a very bad pain on my left scapula that radiates down to my lower back and travels to my left arm down to my fingers- the pain that I cannot explain at all, it disrupts the quality of my life, I thought there's no hope for my pain to go away. My doctor tried some other pain medication including neural injection. After taking 3rd dose of nortriptylline 10mg I can see the difference , my pain is dull and episodic but tolerable. Everyone is different but there's ni harm in trying if we are concern of side effects, all medications have side effects anyway.I recommend to those who are suffering from pain to try this"

Registered Nurse (taken for less than 1 month) December 31, 2015

"It made it hard to sleep and I'm groggy all day long. I'm not a fan. 25mg at night."

cholette (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2015

"I have had bad pain in both wrists for one and a half years now, I have had to leave my job as a gardener for 10 years. I found it effective with pain working up to 30mg but stopped as I don't wont to have to always take drugs, but now the pain is back."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 18, 2015

"I started at 10 mg at bedtime for pain in my lower back, the pain would go down both legs and was ruining my life- after a few weeks I was up to 60 mg and I am virtually pain free. I am sleeping great, too. The dry mouth usually comes for me after I up the dose, one thing though, I had a numb spot right above my right knee which is caused by a pinched nerve in my pelvic region- the numbness has turned to a fullness in my knee now...weird but I can live with it."

Vibrant Again October 30, 2015

"Started 25mg last night; no results. Took it again tonight and am still awake 7 hours after taking it! Wondering how long it takes to work?"

chrjen64 October 1, 2015

"Makes me cramp in my stomach and doesn't help with pain or depression. I've been used as a guinea pig on all kinds of meds for pain and depression and the meds that help me my doctor won't prescribe. Crazy Right"

sassy frass September 22, 2015

"It's worked really well for me. I'm so grateful!"

nosoupforyou August 29, 2015

"Can't tell if it is working because it was prescribed after epidural. It was prescribed because I could not have orgasm even after 40+ minutes of stimulation when taking gabapentin. I am having the same problem with nortriptyline"

GaMountaineer (taken for less than 1 month) August 18, 2015

"I started taking this medication after neck surgery c5-c6 this helped me with sleep and functional throughout the day. I went off after i was back to normal. Just recently i had to go back on cause i now have a buldging disc at c4-c5. Without this i could not do my job. The pain is tolerable and still have numb fingers. I do think it is a good medication to try and see if it works for ur nerve pain."

lbk11 August 12, 2015

"I have Stage 5 CRPS and have been taking 75MG of Nortriptyline (Generic for Pamelor) at bedtime for a few years now. I feel that I have been taking it long enough to say for sure that it helps with my treatment. I recommend this drug, but everyone is different and we all respond to medication differently, I hope Nortriptyline give's you the same hope in your treatment that it has given me."

mjaym1 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 14, 2015

"Very bad, Was given for pain by doctor .Dr told me make sleepy does opposite. Gave me anger and made me depressed. Kinda mad at Dr. My be it's a side affects lol"

209rockstar (taken for less than 1 month) May 30, 2015

"I was prescribed this drug for pain from osteoarthritis. It made no difference to my pain and even after upping it to 40mg I was still unable to sleep."

Toni Anita April 16, 2015

"I have a bulging disc (L5-S1) lots of pain especially during sleep. Started on this 2 weeks ago. Take 20 mg at bedtime and now sleep well through the night. Very pleased here. No side effects."

Postcards March 14, 2015

124 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have unexplained nerve pain for about two years..after trying so many pills I was at the end of my hope. All the pills either made me feel like a zombie or I gained weight. I tried 10 mg of Nortriptyline and it has given me back my life! I have been on them for around 3 months now and hardly any pain."

Patsy 7 December 23, 2014

255 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been living with chronic back and hip pain for 12 years. I have had many surgeries with little to no relief of pain. After being in the pain management program at Kaiser for 2 months the doctor prescribed nortriptyline and within days I felt like a new person. Even just sitting doing nothing was painful and now I can do my daily household chores with little pain. Some things are still difficult but my daily life has improved substantially."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 20, 2014

182 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I had no side effects. The medicine really worked for me. I was able to stay on my job for 47 years before retiring."

cookiec (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 19, 2014

156 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 Next