User Reviews for Phillips' Milk of Magnesia

Learn more about Phillips' Milk of Magnesia.

Phillips' Milk of Magnesia Review Summary

9.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 216 medications used in the treatment of Constipation.

Reviews for Phillips' Milk of Magnesia to treat Constipation

"Best laxative out there! I have chronic constipation due to psych meds. I've tried every laxative out there, and have a very healthy, plant based diet etc. but nothing has helped. Milk of magnesia is the only effective remedy I've found. Best to take it on an empty stomach- it doesn't seem to work if you're full of food- and drink lots of water. Within 2 hours of taking 4tbsp I had 2 bowel movements. No cramps or bloating or pain or diarrhea. This stuff works great."

Amk1960 (taken for less than 1 month) July 22, 2015

"I've been having bad stomach aches for the past 6 days, finally realized it was constipation. My boyfriend went to the 24hr CVS and got me some MOM around 330am, took 4tbs at 410 had a bottle of water, felt the urge to go 30 minutes later"

rockett0711 July 21, 2015

"Effective and not irritating"

Derek Cassells (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2015

"I have been told I had IBS in the ER. The doctor said MOM is very gentle if I got constipated and I do from time to time. So after feeling bloated and bound up I took the 2 Tbsp dose and waited...well in an hour I was almost running to the throne and every 15 minutes after for an hour. It does as advertised. "

Pirates 2015 June 12, 2015

"I'm only 17 and I am always constipated. I've tried fiber one bars, miralax, and 4 water bottles a day. (Not all at once) but after not having a bowel movement after one week I decided to try milk of magnesia. My great grandma swore by it and my mom picked it up and told me to give it a shot. I took 1 tbsp at about 11pm and went to bed. Woke up and didn't feel the urge. Took 1 tbsp at about 9 am and had a satisfactory BM in 30 minutes. This stuff is great."

Fujderyuiv June 11, 2015

"About a week after I got my wisdom teeth surgical removed, I began to have painful constipation due to the side effects of the pain medication I was taking, despite an all liquid diet. I had taken the pill version of Ducolax before, but wanted to try a different, more natural remedy. I took the recommended dose for adults, 3 tablespoons (recommended is 3-4tbs) around 1:00pm. I took a nap and 5 hours later, still nothing. At 6 pm I took another 2 tablespoons, this time with 2 full glasses of water. The relief finally occurred around 9:30pm that same day. However, after the first time it has continued to flood out like water almost every 30 minutes. I am talking severe anal leakage. Just be patient and wait after the first dose, unlike me!"

Wisdom151515 June 11, 2015

"I took 3 tbsp and it worked like crazy within 2 hours for me. So far I have been back and forth in the bathroom for 7 times. I drank some more water after the 5th time and it made me run back twice more. If I ever have to use it again, I will only take 1tbsp."

Annie QA May 24, 2015

"I had jaw surgery 2 weeks ago and I have to be on liquid diet for maybe less than 6 weeks but can also have very soft foods. After a week and half I started eating scrabled eggs and then a couple days later I had to go poop and COULD NOT come out. It was painfull and to the point I was crying, then I was researching on what is the most effective out there... Magnesiam Citrate. I went to walgreens with my dad and he said when he was a child, this was the BEST solutions that helped him out on his constipation. When I bought the Wild Cherry flavor of MOM Phillips I took it right away. It Immediately helped out the cramps because it was extermely painful then I went to take a long nap then 5 hours later IT CAME OUT LIKE A DREAM. Try it Please!"

JBeanyy May 17, 2015

"If you want this Medicine to be effective drink plenty of water after taking it. All magnesium does is draw water into the bowel so the more you drink the faster and looser the stool will come. :)"

nephy May 9, 2015

"I tried EVERYTHING. I'm 70 and have had chronic constipation. Nothing worked. Today I was miserable! But, then I decided to try what my 98 year old Mother In law took every night of her long life. MOM! I also know a woman who is 104 and takes two tablespoons every night of her exceptional life. Both these women had no side effects and regular as clock work. I took 2 TBs of the cherry flavored MOM at 10am and at 2:30 it worked ! Try it, people :)"

BCakes (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2015

"I used the strawberry flavored milk of magnesia at 17 weeks pregnancy after having been constipated for about three weeks or so. Never do anything silly like take an unreasonable amount more than the recommended dose--like someone mentioned drinking half a bottle. Anyway, I called in a sick day with work due to hurting belly and took a medicine capful at 2am. It's 8:35 now and I've successfully discharged the problem around 30 minutes ago. Remembering my grandmother giving me this in childhood reminded me that it definitely works, don't overdo it! It's a safe option for pregnancy and also it works."

Ann87 April 26, 2015

"Warning. Once you have your first bowel movement it's all downhill from there. You have to keep going back to the bathroom Every 5 minutes because it just keeps coming, like diarrhea. I literally sat on the toilet for 2 hours."

Foodlover (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2015

"Took about 4 hrs to kick in. Do not make the mistake I did and think it's just gas prior to the real deal. Good thing I had a change of clothes with me."

bake1037 (taken for less than 1 month) March 15, 2015

"Being 3 months pregnant I had a list of what I could take for constipation and since I haven't gone in 5 days I finally went to target and got Phillips milk of magnesia (cramp free) and about an hour 1/2 I had to go really bad I was on toilet for about 30 mins. Instant relief right away I even stopped having a headache! So definitely effective!"

Mrs.Aguirre February 18, 2015

"I took Milk of Magnesia at around 10 pm after being constipated for about four days. I drank half the bottle. At four o'clock in the morning I woke up to terrible cramps. I sat in the bathroom for almost thirty minutes until I got a solid stool. Then I spent the next four/ five hours dealing with violent diarrhea."

NotSaying (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2015

"I experienced stomach flu with not being able to stop using the commode and took an anti-diarrhea medicine. Then the opposite happened, I became unable to go even after 2 days of eating solid foods. I used 2 Tablespoons of Concentrated Fresh Strawberry Flavored Milk of Mag and in exactly 6.5 hrs it worked in the middle of the night. I could not sleep, so I massage my stomach and within 15 min. the formula worked and it was very gentle. I have also used this after surgery-given to me by the nurse and it works and relieves the problem."

FLu Mom January 4, 2015

"After about 14 hours after taking it I didn't think it was going to work, but unfortunately it decided to kick in when I was in the middle of taking a shower. I won't go into anymore details, but be careful if you do take it. You never know when it'll decide to creep up on you."

C.Crinkle December 2, 2014

"I took the recommended dose at 9:30 am after horrible constipation cramps and bloating. Nothing but stomach gurgling occured that entire day. I had to take another dose that evening around 7 pm. Still...nothing by bedtime. I didn't get relief until around 9 am the next morning and from that point on I was afraid to move or leave the toilet. And it took about a full 10 hours of off and on emergency bathroom trips (those uh oh! Get up and run! kinds) to get it all out."

Yougottagosometime (taken for less than 1 month) November 23, 2014

"Drinking a few extra 16oz bottles of water during the period after taking the Milk of Magnesia will help stop the painful hard stools constipation usually brings. It will help ease the release. There can be different amount of time you can expect the recommended dosage to work. For me it's best taken on an empty stomach. No food for 4 hours or more helps speed the desired effect. If it's been several days since you normally have movements it will also take longer for the effects to begin. Drink water, as much as you possibly can. If diarrhea occurs cut back on water. Take the prescribed dose, not more. Drinking lots of water along with sufficient fiber in my diet has become much easier than fighting with constant constipation."

Sammy Neal (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 9, 2014

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I remember this product when I was a kid. My mom used to keep a bottle of it in the house all of the time, that was decades ago. I have used the pill form for the first time and it still works quite well. I find the pill form a little more tolerable then drinking the liquid form. But, what I like about it most is that it doesn't cause the cramps. For anyone reading, the best time to take any laxative is at night before going to bed. Also take a full 8oz glass of liquid (water preferably) when taking any pill form laxative. Water helps with constipation to begin with. The directions call for 2 to 4 pills, I took 3."

Whyputaname October 4, 2013

"Due to pregnancy I experienced constipation, no relief in 3 days. I took the Milk of Magnesia at 8:00 am (I work from home) and thought that by the time my husband was home from work all the effects would be over. I took 5 tsps (as I know from past experience most laxatives I need higher dosage for relief), and by 5:30pm when my husband was home still nothing. It wasn't until 10:00 pm that I was able to relieve myself. A full 14 hours later. I was very happy that I had no cramping, and a very easy Bowel Motion, but had I been away from my home I would've been much more upset with the time line. My advice for a first time user, keep close to home for a day until you know how fast it works for you."

Stuck Waiting August 24, 2013

"I have tried doc-u-lace and colace and they never worked for me. This works, if you are really stopped up (think at least 2-3 days), take almost the whole cup (3-4tbsp.), if it doesn't work after about 12-28 hrs, take another 2-3 tbsp."

Anonymous February 22, 2013

"Milk Of Magnesia is great. The only complaint for me was that the dose of 1 cup didn't work within 6 hours as advertised. It took about 10 hours instead. As time went by I had forgotten I took it; I went to a party and of course it started working there. To be predictable (2-3 hours) I have to take about 3-4 cups. The only problem with that is that you keep going once it starts working, even the following morning. However, it's very gentle, no cramps. When I need it I just plan on being home. It's the best."

Anonymous November 24, 2010

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about Constipation