User Reviews for Dulcolax

Learn more about Dulcolax.

Bowel Preparation 5 reviews 112 medications

9.1
Constipation 59 reviews 236 medications

6.9
Summary of Dulcolax reviews 64 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Dulcolax

Review by Uncomfy (taken for less than 1 month):

For Constipation: I hadn't gone for 4 days and decided to try Dulcolax. I am 5'1 and 120lbs. The bottle says anywhere from 1-3 pills, and my constipation was pretty bad so I decided to take 2. Worst mistake of my life. I took the pills at 2:00pm and by 6pm I had the most terrible cramps I have ever felt in my entire life. I was shaking, cold sweating, and felt like I was going to throw up several times. Hours later and I'm still having terrible diarrhea. It works, but the side effects are too much for me.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 13, 2014 1:30 AM

Review by yuckugh:

For Bowel Preparation: I am getting ready for a colonoscopy and I am taking these two days prior. I was thinking since I have problems with constipation I would take 2 with dinner and then I took 3 before I go to bed. I woke up in the most painful cramps and have been peeing out my butt for 3 minutes. I would recommend not taking more then 1. I was stupid because I thought it wouldn't help. Wow was I wrong.

September 10, 2014 5:16 AM

Review by LoloSkillet:

For Constipation: Have issues with chronic constipation and when I get really constipated I start to feel very fatigued and nauseous. Was looking for a quick fix this time around and took 2 tabs Dulcolax at 9 am, I slept most of the day, I don't know if this was from the constipation or the remedy, but started having horrendous bowel cramping at about 7:30 pm. The first few times I went to the bathroom I was only able to pass a few small hard lumps with A LOT of pain, straining, burning/cramping bowel pain so bad I thought I was either going to vomit or pass out. Finally about the 4th time the cramps struck, I had a large bowel motion followed by diarrhea. That's where I am right now and I'm hoping this "experience" will be wrapping up soon!

September 8, 2014 11:58 PM

Review by Hibbycat:

For Constipation: If you want to experience your guts evacuating your butt, this is the medicine for you. 100% effective at relieving constipation. But in my experience in no way worth the agony I encountered through the night, as well as a massive bout of vomiting. I am good when it comes to pain and this was like nothing I have ever encountered. I would rather have a month of Sundays's worth of constipation then take this again.

September 8, 2014 4:50 PM

Review by Diane124:

For Constipation: I took Ducolax about 9pm and normally it doesn't affect me whatsoever. It woke me at 6am with severe cramps, worst than child labour to be honest. I feel a cold sweat coming on, I was dizzy. I couldn't sit in one place I was in that much pain. I would not recommend this, I'd go for the easy option of pure orange or something along them lines.

September 4, 2014 2:41 AM

Review by JohnJacob:

For Bowel Preparation: I have used the product over 7 times now, and it has worked like a charm each and every time. I take 3, and drink about 24 oz of water. I take 3 because I'm a 280 lbs. Take it on a Sunday afternoon, don't make any plans to leave the house, and by the evening it's all done. I usually end up going to the bathroom 3-4 times. First 2 are usually soft movements, any after that it's just getting rid of the excess water. I think people that are getting bad craps is they are not taking enough water with it. Try more water, see if it helps! I have had zero side effects using this product.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 31, 2014 2:53 PM

Review by NDi (taken for less than 1 month):

For Constipation: Severe cramps with taking two tablets...Big mistake!!! However it does the job.

August 24, 2014 9:36 PM

Review by Constipator:

For Constipation: 1-2 tablets is the prescribed dosage. It works well. The cramps weren't so bad before the drainage. Highly recommended, but not safe to use regularly and people have the misconception that you lose weight as that's the feeling you get after it works. Cheers!

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 20, 2014 2:31 PM

Review by Haralambos (taken for less than 1 month):

For Constipation: It worked for me, I had 5-6 days to go to the toilet, due to stress, depression and bad nutrition. I took 2 pills at 12:00 noon, and the effects started after 5-6 hours, it was ok, and went 4 times to the toilet, normally. No pains, just the normal frustration and a headache. No dizziness, no diarrhea. During these 5 hours, I also drank much water to help the situation. In the past 6 days I almost didn't have meals for the 3 days, (I was sad for being fired). I guess this is psychological. I read many panic comments by other people, saying about strong pain, cold sweats, diarrhea, dizziness, and feeling near to pass out. I had these effects with Laxatol laxative toffees when I was young, so I knew about them all.

August 11, 2014 3:30 PM

Review by sammy2438:

For Constipation: I have always had constipation and I was told to take Dulcolax if nothing else seemed to work. Normally, I only take one pill, but this time I took 2 because I hadn't gone in a week and needed the relief ASAP. BIG MISTAKE! I always get indigestion-type feelings, so those started up within about an hour. In a few hours, I passed a couple of soft bowel movements. I was praying that I could just go to sleep because my stomach was so uneasy. I thought I could wake up feeling better. It made me feel bad all over, nausea, cold sweats. Then I woke up at about 4:30 am with the urgency to go. During my bowel movements, I was having severe stomach cramps with diarrhea. In the future, I will only be taking one pill!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 11, 2014 6:34 AM

Review by Samanthaa:

A friend recommended so I thought I would give it a try. She never mentioned severe pain. Just that your stomach hurts a bit because that means it's working. I took 3 pills around 9:30 pm and at 11:30 pm the severe cramping began. I also became extremely nauseous. I was doubled over in pain, it was so painful I had no idea what to do with myself. On a scale from 1-10 the cramping was a 12! It did do it's job but the severe pain is not worth it at all.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 11, 2014 2:14 AM

Review by AlluretheNight:

For Constipation: I had been constipated for about five days and took two pills before bed. I advise against that many. The cramps from the laxatives pulling the water from your stomach to your intestines is bad. It's not excruciating but it's not fun either and I did get a little nauseated. I woke up in the morning with diarrhea. I only had to go twice that whole day and they were in close time ranges with each other. I recommend just taking one to see how it affects you and then go from there. Either way you'll get relief.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 2, 2014 3:56 AM

Review by benicasal9:

For Constipation: It usually works in between 3hours. I'll recommended.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 31, 2014 10:42 PM

For Constipation: I have been constipated for four days and my GP recommended I try Dulcolax. I took it at noon and around 6.30pm I was in agony with my stomach churning. I vomited several times and was stuck with unproductive straining. I was having cold sweats and was very spaced out. When I could move to my medicine cabinet I took 10mg of Buscopan and some paracetamol which seems to have helped. I am not trying this again.

July 25, 2014 4:47 PM

Review by kimbo123ishs:

For Constipation: To the person who said they were going to take half.....Don't! The coating on these pills mean they don't dissolve until they are where they are meant to get too! I learned this the hard way! The pain was worse than childbirth! And I am a regular taker of Dulcolax ! I know what the normal painful cramps are like. This didn't even compare!

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 24, 2014 4:44 PM

Review by 1234456778:

For Constipation: Took 3 pill an hour ago. Rev condensed dose is 1-3. I have not left the bathroom. It say gentle overnight relief on the box. Should say painful relief in 20 minutes. I am regretting taking the 3. I have a feeling I will be up all night. Works amazing. But please be careful with how many you take. The stomCh cramps only happen before you need to go and during but are over after. Completely detox and cleans you system worth it!

July 14, 2014 3:24 AM

Review by aaspyn (taken for less than 1 month):

For Constipation: I had been constipated for a couple of days and had a package of Dulcolax in my medicine cabinet. I took one at about 3pm and instantly started feeling nauseous. For the next couple hours I had horrible cramps that felt like someone was stabbing me. After about 6 hours I finally went but it was diarrhea. All night that night I was up having diarrhea. For the next couple days I felt horrible and couldn't eat any food without feeling sick. Long story short, Dulcolax works to relieve constipation but the pain is excruciating.

July 13, 2014 7:04 AM

Review by Mchala (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bowel Preparation: Yes it works but I wake up with my stomach in PAIN and I feel nauseous! I've only taken this 2 times and each time it has happened.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 12, 2014 4:56 AM

For Constipation: Took the medicine at 11:30PM. Decided 2 would be too little since I wanted the full effect, took 3 total followed by water. Woke up at 4:30 in the morning to cold sweats and threw up twice. After cramping in lower stomach, I went and used the bathroom on and off for 1.5 hours. Next time I am only sticking with 1.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 9, 2014 5:41 AM

For Constipation: Having chronic constipation my whole life leads me to taking 2 Dulcolax every couple months just to clean out my system. I LOVE this product. To me the time of day that I take the medicine doesn't matter, just make sure you give yourself at least 20hrs of easy toilet access. I know the packaging says 12hrs maximum, but there's always lingering urges to go. Regarding the cramps, I don't find them bad in comparison to how amazing you feel afterwards. I do get semi nauseous, but I have never actually thrown up while on Dulcolax. My only complaints would have to be the amount of time it takes for the medicine to leave your system, and the side effects. However, it is completely worth it in the end!

July 9, 2014 4:26 AM

Review by EnerI:

For Constipation: I realized it's been about 6 days since my last bowel motion. I took this around 1:00 pm today so I wouldn't have to lose any sleep or deal with it tomorrow at work. I took it with a swig of water and about 45 minutes later started reading these reviews. Immediately, I started drinking water and got about 40 ounces down within an hour or so. I started getting very gassy with very mild cramps around 4:00. Between 5 and 6pm I passed some soft stool a few times, but knew it wasn't the end based on how long I had went without a bowel motion. I had a bowl of cereal around 8:00 and by 8:30 I was passing pretty frequently. I only had extremely mild cramps and a couple hot flashes. Be sure to drink your water.

July 6, 2014 10:01 PM

Review by Skye1164:

For Constipation: I get constipation quite often as I am unable to do much exercise due to hip pain. I've taken Dulcolax about 4 times in my lifetime and they have always worked, I would never advise taking 2 pills though, you get a big response, only take 2 if you're incredibly constipated (1 weeks of constipation), yes you will get side effects but they're bearable.

July 4, 2014 10:27 AM

Review by Antibiotic (taken for less than 1 month):

For Constipation: I've been on antibiotics for almost a month which has left me extremely constipated. I took one Dulcolax pill last night at 6:30pm. This morning at 7:30 I had very mild cramps but lots and lots of diarrhea. I'm glad it works but wish the estimated timeframe had been more accurate.

July 3, 2014 8:14 AM

Review by It works! But yikes.:

For Constipation: 12 hours after I took it, I had intermittent cramping, then urge to go. Didn't go, but did vomit twice. Cramping intensified and I was reminded of giving birth. It really hurt. Fist poop was average, followed by loads of diarrhea. Make sure you can be home all the next day if you're taking it at night. You need to rush to the toilet. If I ever have to do this again, I think I'll try a suppository. But it worked!

June 27, 2014 12:16 PM

Review by Virgo25:

For Constipation: I took two Dulcolax around 5pm with some yogurt & a lot of water. Never having used laxatives or stool softeners before, I decided to read a few online reviews...bad idea. People's reviews had me thinking I was going to end up in the ER! And, apparently taking Dulcolax with antacids or yogurt is a big "no-no". I waited. About 4 hours later I had some mild cramping (not even close to as painful as I find my period cramps to be) which lasted about 30 minutes. Shortly after I went to sleep. I awoke 4 in the morning needing to GO. Such a huge relief! My tummy feels much better. In hindsight, I'd only take one, avoid the dairy, & take it right before bed. Overall the product did what it's intended to do with mild side effects.

June 26, 2014 4:53 AM