User Reviews for Dulcolax

Learn more about Dulcolax.

Bowel Preparation 7 reviews 113 medications

7.3
Constipation 126 reviews 223 medications

7.2
Summary of Dulcolax reviews 133 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Dulcolax

For Constipation "I suffer from chronic constipation and after seeing my GP I was prescribed dulcolax. This medicine is as "gentle" as a hammer to the face. I took two tablets at around 2am and drunk quite a lot of water. I went to bed, no hot flashes, no nausea or headaches. I had very mild cramps and within an hour, I had my first BM after days. I thought that was it and went to sleep. Little did I know that at 10am I'd be woke to explosive diarrhoea. Luckily, there wasn't much pain. Tomorrow, I will adjust the dose and take one tablet."

duclolady June 29, 2015

For Constipation "My advice would be stick with just one tablet because even though the bottle says 1-3, no matter how bad you think you're constipation is, you do not want to take 3. After 24 hours I got cramps and finally got some relief but then experienced some bad diarrhea. (Note: I'm 15)"

BowelSufferer June 28, 2015

For Constipation "I took two tablets after dinner and went to sleep around 1130pm. At 6 am came around and I had terrible cramps. I vomited a few times and felt better and went back to sleep. 7am came and I had even worse pains and went to the bathroom. After that I was fine. It did its job but was extremely uncomfortable. I don't recommend taking this if you can't be home for at least 18 hours straight"

Jennifer np June 27, 2015

For Constipation "I took 1 pill at 4:00 and had drank an entire water bottle prior to taking it. I then came on here and read all the reviews and got absolutely terrified because of how many bad experiences there were. I however didn't have a bad experience. With this medicine you MUST drink a lot of water after taking it. I drank another 3 water bottles after taking it. Around 9:00 p.m. I had a regular BM. The next day around noon I experienced on and off stomach cramps. They were extremely mild and did not cause a lot of pain. An hour later at 1 I had another BM. If you drink water you don't have bad side effects. The one issue I had was that the timeline was not predictable as I didn't get the full effects till 20 hours after taking it"

it did what it was supposed to do June 25, 2015

For Constipation "I am NEVER taking this brand of lax again. I took one pill around 6 p.m. and around 5:45 a.m. I had the worst cramps ever! I wanted to vomit and I ran to the bathroom and had such bad diarrhea. This is the second time this has happened with taking only one pill. The 1st time I was sure I had bad Mexican food, but nope its the laxative. The pain was so unbearable! I'd rather be constipated forever than go through that again. I recommend taking Metamucil with 8oz of water twice a day or fiber supplements. It takes longer for your body to get on track, but it doesn't hurt."

deets (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2015

For Constipation "I have taken the laxative in the past, usually in the evening. I would wake up and have bad abdominal pain and several bouts of diarrhea until the next morning. This was with only taking one pill. I reluctantly took one last night but felt bound up and uncomfortable. I woke up at 1am with terrible stomach pain and hot flashes. I had to take off my clothes and lay on the coolest floor I could find. It was horrible. Then I vomited about 5 times and felt some relief. Shortly after I had a normal bowel movement then went back to bed with the chills. I sleep well after that and woke up feeling fine. I threw the box of dulcolax in the garbage..never again! Not worth going through that agony."

Anonymous June 21, 2015

For Constipation "After feeling constipated for about 2 weeks - went to bathroom but only a marble or two worth come out. I got super keen and took four dulcolax tablets. As a person who doesn't read instructions. I'm kinda wishing I did. I took them about 3pm today with a bit of water and about 10:15 pm as I was just about to doze off and BAM!! I have never run for a toilets so fast, after stacking it over some toys (while trying to not wake everyone up) I managed to pick my bursting butt up and drag it to the toilet. Needless to say I did no pushing whatsoever even though the pain was unbearable. I feel maybe I should have drank more water so my insides didn't feel like they were being shafted with a big black rubber fist. Not for the feint hearted."

DroppingBigBrownBears June 20, 2015

For Constipation "I took it right before bed (around 10) I slept great all night and by 9 in the morning I was going. Had some gas pain and some back pain but after I went I felt much better. Make sure you drink a lot of water because that definitely helps the cramps and the pain. Good Luck :)e"

Aliloolopsmith June 16, 2015

For Constipation "Took 2 on the advice of my Gastro DR. Hadn't been in over three weeks. Seven hours on the toilet later and I'm still in agony"

Angry98 June 12, 2015

For Constipation "I never have constipation problem until just recently. I could still have bowel movement daily but just pellets. Decided to give Ducolax a try as I saw the TV commercial stating gentle and predictable relief. Took one pill this morning at 9 and I didn't read instructions as to drink lots of water afterwards. But I generally drink water constantly. At around 3pm, I experience a mild cramp. Within an hour, I used the bathroom and still pellets. Half an hour later, I went and this time is "perfect". Haven't felt this relieved for a long time. If this is your first time taking Ducolax, I suggest just take one pill and do it during the day if you don't have anything planned and stay home just in case cramp is bad."

AllRelieved June 10, 2015

For Constipation "I tried this medicine twice in the past two weeks hoping to see if my experience was consistent. It was. About an hour or two after taking the medicine I had terrible cramping, stomach spams, and during the second time I felt nauseous with thick and stringy saliva. Not a fun experience. After 30 min of this I was able to return to sleep and woke up occasionally with bloating and cramping. After waking up this morning I had diarrhea (consistent with the first time) and occasional cramping that lessened the more I went to the toilet. This will be the last time I take these pills-- not worth the pain, as others have said!"

ATA98 June 1, 2015

For Constipation "So I have experienced constipation ever since I was a kid, I am now 21, and have to regularly take lactulose liquid around once a week. I need something stronger for medication induced constipation and decided to take Ducolax in the morning around 11 to achieve a result by the evening. After dinner at 6 I felt completely cleaned out and had some minor cramping before dinner, however drinking lots of water seemed to make things move faster. I wouldn't recommend taking it all the time because it is strong but for constipation that won't budge with anything else, this works."

Anonymous June 1, 2015

For Constipation "My Experience: I was extremely constipated for about 5 days, I felt the urge to go but I just couldn't. I took ONE tablet of the Dulcolax for Women around 6:30pm with a full glass of water and I continued to drink about 40-50oz of water until bedtime (I drink about 80oz of water daily so I drank about 40 extra oz that day). I didn't get the sweats, nausea or cramping that night and it didn't wake me up in the middle of the night. I woke up at 6am and I did get SOME cramping, it felt the same as trapped gas pain but nothing overly unbearable. I had a bowel movement after about 20 mins and I felt GREAT. I had loose stool afterwards but no pain or cramping. I avoided starch and breads for the day - for extra measure. I loved this product!"

Anonymous12536368 May 28, 2015

For Constipation "I have had constipation ALL my life and I'm 50. I've tried everything. And I mean everything. I've had slow transit test which proved I have a sluggish gut. The Doc recommended ducolax so I only take one and by the morning I'm going. I'm now taking then every third night. As that's the only thing what shifts it. I have no cramps no pains nothing. I've been reading all these comments. Some I've never had those experiences but I have never taken 3 or been recommended 3... So my advice would be one if you don't go take one next night. Also Doc recommended probiotics from health store AMAZING. Hope this helps guys.."

tobes May 28, 2015

For Constipation "I have been dealing with constipation on and off for a month. I had taken some stool softeners with limited success, and my mom recommended that I try Dulcolax. I took two pills at 10 PM. I started feel rumblings in my stomach around 45 minutes later, so I did some research to find out if that was normal. I saw all the negative reviews and immediately drank 32 more ounces of water on top of the 8 I had taken with the pill. I slept soundly through the night and had three bouts of diarrhea followed by a normal BM in the morning. I was completely done within one hour of waking up, and I had a normal day after that. I didn't have any cramping, sweating, nausea,etc."

Reviewer1975 May 25, 2015

For Constipation "I took the tablet as I had been constipated for around 2 weeks!!! Just over 2 hours since I had taken the tablet I felt very weak and sick, I felt as if I was about to throw up. Then the cramps started, they were horrific. Worse than anything I had ever felt before. It was as if I was getting punched from the inside (100x worse than any period pains I've experienced) and it lasted about an hour!!!! They did in the end relieve my constipation and the pains did stop but I will never take these tablets ever again, it was not worth going through all the pain."

xdxaxixsxyx (taken for less than 1 month) May 18, 2015

For Constipation "So I took 3 pills because I was a dummy but then I wanted to know how others felt about this product so I read you need to drink loads of water. I ended up drinking about 10 glasses of water in the 2 hours before I went to bed. I woke up around 1ish having to go badly. Nothing really happened I sat there sweating like a pig , dry heaving and wanting to vomit. I had no stomach pains though (possibly from drinking all that water) then around 4, I was back in the bathroom and I didn't sweat, dry heave or anything. It was diarrhea like but that I can handle. And I went again around 10:45am but now 3 hours later I feel fine and perfectly cleaned out."

DomKid May 18, 2015

For Constipation "I took 2 Dulcolax around 1030pm, for constipation, with a pint of water. I woke just around 4am and went to bathroom, cramping and felt like I wanted to vomit and had a slight headache. The only thing that scared me was my hands clammed shut and my feet went numb. I tried calling for my husband but my mouth seemed like it was also clamming shut. I tried to stand up but could not, cold sweat came over me. It lasted for about 20 minutes and now I am fine, good bowel movement. I might have to look for something a little gentler if I take a laxative again."

Elizabeth rugby 72 May 18, 2015

For Bowel Preparation "Took one tablet at 10pm last night and I woke at 2am with the worst cramps I have ever had. Last year I gave birth without pain relief and honestly the cramps were close to the pain if had then. I was shaking, I was hot and came close to collapsing I was so weak and dizzy. Yes I did go to the toilet but I would rather be constipated than have to go through that again. It's now 8am the next day and after having hardly any sleep I still feel sick and weak"

CharleneSlendr May 17, 2015

For Constipation "So I will NEVER take dulcolax ever again!! I took the correct dose before bed and went sleep but around early hours that morning I ended up in the bathroom with agonising stomach cramps and diarrhoea. I felt awful and the pain was ridiculous! Would rather have constipation and suffer the pain of going when it happens than help it along with this stuff. Glad it's not just me who experienced this pain. I'm so nervous about taking laxatives now to the point where I'm bleeding when I go because I'm on tablets for my health problems that cause constipation however I'm too nervous to take laxatives with it."

TLC95 May 15, 2015

For Constipation "I had been constipated for 3 days . So I went to the drugstore and looked over my options for a laxative. Dulcolax said it was "gentle, overnight relief." So I decided to give it a try . The box says to take 1-3 pills, so I decided to take 2. I drank 2 glasses of water then I went to bed and awoke at 2 am with extreme stomach cramps, cold/hot flashes, and an overall sick feeling. I went to the bathroom too many times to count between the debilitating stomach cramps. Nothing about this product was "gentle" as it states on the box. I laid in bed and moaned and groaned with each cramp. 24 hours later I am still in pain! I thought I might need to go to the emergency room! I will not use this product again or recommend it to anyone! BEWARE!!"

Angry consumer May 14, 2015

For Constipation "DO NOT TAKE 3 LIKE THE BOX SAYS OR YOU WILL BE SORRY! I have never been constipated however new meds did a number on me. Read the box and I took 3 because I haven't gone on a week and I needed to go. Boy was that the biggest mistake. I had to sleep near the bathroom because my stomach was cramping but I was all popped out. Nothing left to give but my stomach feels as of I still need to go. 24hrs later my stomach is still cramping. Wish I read these comments before I tool them."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 9, 2015

For Constipation "I am 5 feet and 135 pounds. I took ONE tablet and had multiple NORMAL BMs over a 24-hour period with no cramping, nausea, or sweats. TIPS: 1) Take with ALOT of water and some food; 2) TAKE ONE at the beginning; 3) DON'T IMMEDIATELY SLEEP; 4) WAIT 24 HOURS BEFORE TAKING MORE."

Female20 (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2015

For Constipation "I took three tablets around 9:00 at night and wen't to bed a few hours later. At 3AM, I woke up feeling sick. I hurried to the bathroom and dry heaved a few times before sitting on the toilet to try to feel better. My first BM wasn't very satisfying and I still felt like crap. I laid down again only to have to get out of bed 5 minutes later. This time, I barely made it to the toilet and had extremely bad diarrhea. I had to go again and again throughout the night. It really cleaned me out and I had a little more diarrhea at work. Explosive diarrhea isn't ideal, but I'm cleaned out!"

RandomUser125 April 25, 2015

For Constipation "I took one as stated on the box approximately 9pm. I have been sat on the toilet since 3 am with the most excruciating stomach cramps and worst diarrhea I have ever had. "

tasha888 (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2015