User Reviews for Levoxyl

Learn more about Levoxyl.

Levoxyl review summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 42 medications used in the treatment of Underactive Thyroid.

Reviews for Levoxyl to treat Underactive Thyroid

Review by M5125 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I had been on Levoxyl (name brand) for about 10 years when they just recently decided to recall the medication from the pharmacy shelves. I was on 0.50 mcg 3 times per week and 0.75 mcg 3 times per week with one day off altogether. I did very well on it. My thyroid had finally gotten to the normal range when they decided to pull it off of the shelves. Now I am at a loss as to what to take. The doctor put me on the Synthroid (Levothyroxine 50 mcg). I took it for a month. It was not too bad at first but as it started to build up in my system I began having tremors and feeling jittery all of the time with a weak feeling in my legs and muscles. I am now on Synthroid but don't feel all that good.

June 17, 2013 4:16 PM

I have used this for only a few months now and I have lost weight and need less sleep to make it through the day. There have been a few odd side effects, including lactation but nothing that is unmanageable or worse then how I felt before it. I take it in the morning with a glass of water and do not eat for 45 min for better absorption.

July 11, 2012 5:55 PM

Review by Dormarie:

I read that the proper time to take it is early in the morning before food. When I tried it this way I had the most horrible side effects of my life. The inside of my mouth, gums, tongue were burning up so I couldn't brush my teeth and my lips swelled up to twice the size. I had taken it before at night without this problem. So now I take it in the middle of the day after food and it is okay.

July 31, 2010 11:40 AM

This medicine (and Synthroid) raises my blood pressure.

April 23, 2010 9:08 AM

Review by The bottom Line is:

I'm glad I used this medicine. My body was dead before I changed doctors to find the problem. I used every vitamin to help me..mostly Vitamin B and also energy drinks. My new doctor found the problem and prescribed this medicine and now I feel like a new person. I haven't noticed any side effects yet.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 23, 2009 1:28 PM

I have had hypothyroidism for 20 years. Levoxyl never worked.

July 14, 2009 11:32 AM

Review by brainhospice:

I have taken this drug for perhaps 8 years now, with no side effects. I've heard that it's best to take it at night, perhaps because the body does its restorative work then. My blood levels have remained consistent since starting Levoxyl, so my doctor is pleased.

July 11, 2009 10:53 PM

Review by anastasi:

I feel worlds different - I don't need caffeine to get through the day, and low blood sugar doesn't bother me any more. Yes, I'm even losing some fat, but I think that's because I can go longer between meals and it takes less food to feel full. The only odd thing is that my lips are unusually dry.

107 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 29, 2008 9:29 AM

Review by teg1343:

Well I've been taking it for about 14 years now and I've never experienced much of any side effects. I do have light emotional mood swings from time to time, but since im just 18 I believe they are the normal teenage-kind. I don't mind it.

August 12, 2008 10:47 AM

take this medicine early in the morning same time everyday and youll feel much better

April 29, 2008 7:25 PM

Since startingon Levoxyl, I have gained at least 25 - 30 more pounds. I still feel tired.

171 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 6, 2008 9:08 AM