User Reviews for Synthroid

Learn more about Synthroid.

Myxedema Coma 1 reviews 17 medications

Thyroid Suppression Test 0 reviews 17 medications

Summary of Synthroid reviews 76 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Synthroid

Review by sharonc2006 (taken for 10 years or more):

For Underactive Thyroid: Reading all the posts/comments on here - PEOPLE - if you are still feeling bad and not noticing relief from symptoms of an underactive thryoid PLEASE TELL YOUR doctor. If your doctor disagrees with you then find an ENDOCRINOLOGIST to get a second opinion. They specialize in endocrine issues which the thyroid falls under. You know your own body better than your doctor - research the symptoms of an underactive thryoid and if you are still feeling them - then get a second opinion. Never stop taking this medication on your own, it takes 4 to 6 And be aware that when you start this m weeks to notice a difference in your body. Also, ask your doctor to write DISPENSE AS WRITTEN on your prescription to avoid the pharmacy giving generic

January 19, 2014 12:13 PM

Review by Sharonkc2006:

For Hashimoto's disease: I've been on Synthroid for over 15 years due to Hashimoto's Disease and also partial thyroidectomy due to a nodule. For anyone who is on the medication and says they are feeling depressed, tired, etc. check into the symptoms of hypothyroidism/Hashimoto's disease as it may be that your medication is not at the right dose. My doctor considers 'normal' TSH to be between 1 and 3 while the AMA lists it as between 1 and 5. When I am at a 4, I do not feel well and have all the symptoms. DON'T just STOP taking this medication on your own as you can have severe side effects, GO back to your doctor and discuss how you feel. I cannot take the generics as they do not work for me. Only SYNTHROID for me! (I'm on 225 a day!)

January 19, 2014 12:06 PM

Review by DeboraL.:

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: I had my thyroid irradiated in 2005 due to Grave's disease caused by Hep C treatment (Ribivirin & Interferon). At first I saw an endocrinologist that prescribed Armour Thyroid but loss of job and insurance forced me to go to a free clinic, where I receive Synthroid. The clinic doesn't seem to understand the difference between experiencing low thyroid levels from naturally occurring hypothyroidism, & complete loss of thyroid. My NP says to me, incredulously, "You take an awful lot of thyroid!", & at that time I was only taking 75mcg a day. Finally after three years of 75 to 100mcg, when I felt absolutely crazy (tired, confused, hair loss, cranky, paranoid, angry, enormous weight gain), she now has me on 150mcg which seems not perfect but better.

January 7, 2014 12:55 AM

Review by lost31:

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: My thyroid disease was caught by my determination to find the real cause to my sudden physical & mental change. Long story short I had thyroid cancer twice (2010 & 2012). April 2013 was thyroidectomy, radiation 3 months later. It's taken all my strength not to give up. I'm finally on 175mcg & my endocrinologist is brushing off my complaints of being depressed over nothing, tired, weak, cold, forgetful, wake up to aching feet. She said 2.1 is in range & Synthroid is the solution. It isn't enough! It or my dose isn't jiving with my body. I'm so tired of being tired. Some days it feels like I have cinder blocks tied to my feet.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 20, 2013 2:57 AM

Review by Hyposufferer1 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Hashimoto's disease: 6+ years on Synthroid, and this is what I have to show for it..Used to be a size 12 now a 28, no periods, pain all over, Hypo symptoms still, mental and mood symptoms ( anxiety, depression, mood swings) My Growth Hormone is only 40 and my FSH is 78. I can't have children. Finally switched to Cytomel, it broke me out, and still had same symptoms as above. My level was over 20 last they checked. Just got a RX for Armour, hoping I finally get my life back

November 7, 2013 12:39 AM

Review by Tulsiebud:

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: I have had thyroid surgery two months ago. I take my daily dosage of levothyroxine every morning before breakfast and I am doing great.

October 25, 2013 11:46 PM

Review by Hopefullysoon:

For Hashimoto's disease: I was on this medication for about two weeks or so and within the first couple of days it made me feel extremely anxious and depressed. I felt as if I was not in control of my emotions. As if this was not bad enough I also felt an uncomfortable sensation in my neck and experienced trouble sleeping.

October 18, 2013 1:58 AM

Review by Anonymous151637326236:

For Hashimoto's disease: I've been on Synthroid my whole life, it works like a charm. I'm on a dose of 120 right now and its helping.

October 17, 2013 10:50 PM

Review by noname817:

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: I have been on synthroid for 20 years. My dosage is 100...To the person whose thyroid was removed and dosage is 250...Sounds a bit high. My tsh level was also 2. 54 the last time I went to the doctor and I feel better than I have in a long time. Anytime I feel a little psycho and mean. I know my levels are off.

October 11, 2013 11:50 AM

Review by Tia4life:

For Underactive Thyroid: Although Synthroid keeps my test results "normal" I still have all of the hypothyroid symptoms. Severe exhaustion, sensitivity to cold, trouble concentrating, etc...like I haven't experienced since before I found out I had hypothyroidism. I was only put on Synthroid since the medication I am normally prescribed is no longer available.

August 22, 2013 8:29 PM

Review by willseth:

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: It works great for me

August 1, 2013 11:57 AM

Review by Shahid Rathore:

For Underactive Thyroid: I am taking Synthroid 0.05 mg (50mcg). Helps me a lot. Very effective in my case.

July 14, 2013 11:58 PM

Review by Tramag823 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Underactive Thyroid: I started taking Synthroid about 6 months ago and I feel really good. I went from feeling like a zombie to feeling like my normal self again. Before starting on Synthroid I had most of the typical hypothyroid symptoms...tiredness, dry skin, cold intolerance, puffy face, etc. Now the only symptom that still bothers me is water retention. My Dr. just increased my dose so hopefully that goes away soon.

July 3, 2013 12:31 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Underactive Thyroid: Only been on this medicine for 4 days and it has already made a huge difference in how I feel. The depression was awful and the intolerance to the cold was bone chilling. I hope things continue to look up. So far so good!

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 17, 2013 10:35 PM

Review by Robert2013:

For Underactive Thyroid: Synthroid saved my life....been taking it for almost four years now. I had all of the worst symptoms in the worst way of a basically dead thyroid. I was feeling better within a week of taking it and continued to feel better and better every day for about the next six months. That's when it leveled off and I've been happy (and grateful) ever since. It took about a year or so to lose all of the weight I gained as a result of crummy thyroid. The weight just came right off after taking Synthroid. I'm on 225Mcg per day with very minimal side effects...so minimal that I can't recall what they are at the moment.

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 11, 2013 6:11 PM

Review by gfmissouri (taken for 10 years or more):

For Underactive Thyroid: I have been taking this medication for almost 22yrs. My thyroid is dead the Dr. said due to child birth. I started out on the lowest dosage. Dr. didn't want to shock my body I had to cut them in half for 2 weeks and then slowly went up from there. I am now taking 200mg now have been for several yrs now. Medication works good for me. If I miss a day I can tell and I feel really tired.

February 2, 2013 12:29 AM

Review by CB in TX (taken for 10 years or more):

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: I had my thyroid removed in 1990 and have been on Synthroid ever since. The dosage has changed over the years. Right now I'm on a dose that requires two pills each morning--the 200mcg plus the 50 mcg. I have to wonder if alot of the symptoms many of us experience isn't due to the Synthroid --but just rather the lack of a thyroid and having to get the hormone from a pill? Maybe it just doesn't ever feel quite the same no matter what brand it is. I am usually tired. I can't get enough sleep. Often am achey too. I have always been prone to anxiety and depression and have been on Effexor for years. That helps with alot of symptoms I had (night sweats, mood issues etc) but still so tired.

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 25, 2012 5:11 PM

For Hashimoto's disease: I have been on Synthroid now for 4 years. I wasn't able to take the generic Levothyroxine because it caused me high blood pressure. I was shocked to find out I had Thyroid disease. My dosage continues to go up I'm on 125mcg now, and just had my TSH checked and its again on the low end (which I can tell because of fatigue, weight gain, hair loss). I demand my thyroid to be tested every 4 months. When its in the middle of "Normal" range is the only time I feel good!

August 21, 2012 9:05 PM

Review by I love my wife!! (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: My wife is been taking this medication for about 5 years now. she has terrible paranoia is always in a bad mood also, sleep problems, hair loss and irritation. her doctor test for levels all the time and he tells her she is fine, however I do not agree! She goes out drinking when she gets upset.

August 19, 2012 5:43 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Hashimoto's disease: Suffering for years from all symptoms of hypothryroidism and mother has Hashimoto's. Finally doctor did thyroid tests. My thyroid peroxidase asb level was 170 but Free T4 and T3 within normal range. Doc prescribed 100mg Synthroid to start. Wow! In three days I could tell a difference. I rated Synthroid 8 of 10. Time will tell if I have side effects, but for the time being after one week on Synthroid I feel like a new person.

July 12, 2012 4:35 PM

Review by JennieBennie (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: After being diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, had radioactive iodine treatment in 2004. Was put on Synthroid because the radioactive iodine caused hypothyroidism. When this first happened, I had my levels checked every 3 months, and Synthroid levels were adjusted accordingly to fit my needs. We moved the panels to every 6 months for testing, and then yearly. At this point we are at 150mcgs and I feel great. It has been a journey but Synthroid works better for me than the generic, which we tried for a short time. It depends on what works for you and your body. Don't be afraid to let your endocrinologist know if something isn't working for you, you know yourself best. Good luck.

July 3, 2012 10:55 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: I had half my thyroid out almost three months ago. Started taking medication about five weeks post-op. I have become depressed and stressed. Everything bothers me and I cannot let it go. I go days without sleeping and live on black coffee. I have the shakes and hate everybody and everything. I cannot rid myself of the stress. I do not know if this is the medicine but that is the only new medicine I have been taking.

May 27, 2012 3:26 PM

Review by Jones3343:

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: My grandmother takes this and she looks really great for her age!

April 1, 2012 1:44 PM

Review by CMIRE:

For Underactive Thyroid: I've been taking synthroid for about 3 years. I had to have radiation on my thyroids because they couldn't control levels. It just would go real low than extremely high. I'm on a 300 mg taking mon through to sat. I'm feeling better but it takes a long time before they find the right dosage.

March 6, 2012 12:52 PM

Review by swancity:

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: I've been taking Synthroid for 4 yrs, since then my blood pressure has gone up (120/75 before, now 140/85 or higher) and cholesterol has skyrocketed as well (before was below, now 6.6)

February 28, 2012 1:04 PM