User Reviews for Synthroid

Learn more about Synthroid.

Myxedema Coma 1 reviews 18 medications

Underactive Thyroid 47 reviews 30 medications

6.6
Summary of Synthroid reviews 103 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Synthroid

For Underactive Thyroid "will ruin your life"

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) April 24, 2016

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal "I had my thyroid removed about 2 years ago. I weighed about 190. I was put on 125 mcg Synthroid right after the surgery. I lost about 20 pounds without trying at all. My dosage was increased to 175 mcg. I then started gaining weight. My endocrinologist increased my dosage to 200 mcg. My weight went up to 224 lbs. Never weighed so much before. I've been told by a couple of other doctors that the higher doses of Synthroid should cause weight loss, not gain. I am 72 years old. In general, I have aches and pains, something wrong every day. Don't know if that's Synthroid related or not. But I am very uncomfortable with all this weight, just doing everyday things."

Anonymous April 12, 2016

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal "I have been on Synthroid 15 years now, two years ago my insurance company would not cover Synthroid any more so they sent me the generic. I broke out in a rash and felt awful. My Dr wrote for synthroid only. I am paying 288.00 a year now out of pocket instead of 16.00. I am not sure what happen but my belly has been bloated every since and I have gained 40 pounds! My new Dr of Internal Medicine does not seem to care and says it's my age bla bla bla. I told her I wanted to be tested for hashimoto and she said there was no doubt in her mind that I have it. My thyroid is totally not working and i am taking 125 Mcg a day. I am not sure what else I can do as she does not seem to want to help. Me gaining 40 pounds is not acceptable."

Gizelle March 24, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid "I just started this medicine about a month ago. It is making such a big difference in my appetite and my energy. I am a fairly young man at 23 years old. I knew something wasn't right with my body over the last few years, as I had gained about 30 pounds over the course of just a few months and felt so sluggish. It turns out, like many of you reading this, I have an underactive thyroid. I have heard that three drugs help with the thyroid hormones. Synthroid (T4 hormone), Cytomel (T3 hormone), and Armour Thyroid (T4 & T3 Hormones). Synthroid has gotten a bad rap because it's synthetic and it only covers the T4. Well, the T4 is most likely all you need because a T3 deficiency is rare. Synthroid is great. Stomach upset went away in 1-2 weeks."

Vinayyyyy070709 March 16, 2016

For Hashimoto's disease "I took Synthroid for about eight years. My naturopath kept increasing the dose up to 75 "

Side effect hell!! (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 11, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid "Before synthroid I was achy and tired. Now I have headaches...bloating...stomach pain...loose stools and the feeling of being in a fog. I'm only on day 4 of the lowest dose cut in half. I'm stopping it. I was put on it before and it made my heart go to sinus tach but the new doctor insisted I try it again! Hell no! I felt better before the medication!"

Nanny 88done January 23, 2016

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal "just started taking so not sure yet"

Angel in heaven January 15, 2016

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal "My thyroid was removed in September 1993 due to Papillary Carcinoma. After removal and treatment, I was put on generic synthroid and could not get my levels regulated. After a time, I was put on brand name Synthroid and levelled out. I am unable to take the generic."

Marykp83 September 23, 2015

For Underactive Thyroid "Since being diagnosed with "Hypothyroidism"(1999). 1st was given antidepressents for being tired and gaining weight (eyeroll). Have been on 88mcg's of *Synthroid-daily.My blood work has always come back with my TSH at the HIGH-end of normal. Former Dr retired years ago so no continuum of care (walk in clinic). Recently new Dr suggested we adjust meds to bring down the TSH level. Started with 100mcg *Levothyroxine 5 days & Synthroid 88-2 days a week.In a few months time I suffered some pretty severe side effects-EXTREME dizziness/weakness,lack of energy,mood extremes,weight is either climbing or stagnant,racing pulse/heartrate.We checked levels & now TSH reads at the extreme low end of normal.I'm scared please help."

Strong independent mom (taken for 10 years or more) August 1, 2015

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal "Due to variances in generic medications I kept experiencing thyroid fog until my doctor changed me to synthroid. My stats immediately stabilize and it has worked well. I found I must take it as prescribed and at the same time daily to avoid the fog."

Willmarqz (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 20, 2015

For Hashimoto's disease "I was on this med for 11 years. Now another med is cheaper for insurance,I have to use it. I cannot lose weight and my menopausal hormones have done me for a loop this year, but I cannot blame it on the med. My reverseT3 is fine so I don't need cytomel or the natural thyroid meds."

Ditzymudgirl July 13, 2015

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal "I was taking Levothyroid 75mcg. Lost 15 pounds, stomach pain, unable to eat, shaky, unable to think or exercise. Also have dark, stone hard stools. Will see my endocrinologist next week. When in my 30's, took Synthyroid for 16 years with no problems, then all went as above. Took Levothyroid by Forest for 4 years with no problems until it was taken of the market about 2 years ago."

Borega June 20, 2015

For Underactive Thyroid "I been taking .025 MG everyday for two months.... I was not sure why I was taking it... I know I had a super low sex drive n now have a high sex drive whereas I have to relieve my self two to three times a day... I get very horny for no reason n notice my sperm is more thicker n I'm producing a lot more now...."

lilcal (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2015

For Underactive Thyroid "I had a blood test 3 weeks ago and I knew something was wrong. The doctor prescribed this to me. I don't know my numbers. I'm taking 25 mcg. I was tired before but now I feel like I'm dead. Too bad you can't take this medicine at night. I never had a puffy face, but the cold bothered me a little . Very dry skin that developed over the winter. I used to have Addison's Disease, which was easier to check with a simple prick of the finger."

Just started Synthroid 2 days ago (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2015

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal "Due to thyroidectomy I am hypo thyroid .While on synthroid I felt awful. High anxiety, quick to anger. Definitely did not like this drug. I like levoxly and naturethroid. Doing better. Keep trying other meds if you feel awful."

l2b (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 28, 2015

For Underactive Thyroid "Synthroid gave me horrible migraines, two to three a week. Nothing seemed to alleviate them except getting off of the medication"

Missyrue (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 19, 2015

For Hashimoto's disease "My hashimotos with benign nodule was found after losing my twins to early delivery. Endo believes this was a missed factor in my loss. My TSH was over 4. Started on levothyroxine 100 mcg was great for 2 months but by the third month my blood sugars dropped, heart was racing (palpitations ), body itching like the burn you feel after a workout, my hair was falling out, severe anxiety and I was losing 2 lbs every few days (that part I didn't mind). I was insistent to check my TSH and it was 0.27 adjusted down to 88 mcg with an extra half tab once a week. My TSH is now 2.2 but I feel the depression and fatigue. Adjusting back up to 100 since it's been 3 years. At least now I know what to watch for. I no longer experience PCOS OR DM 2."

Michele B71 April 11, 2015

For Hashimoto's disease "t4 only kept me sick for decades!"

Beccles (taken for 10 years or more) April 11, 2015

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal "I had a goiter in my teens that was treated with radioactive iodine, I've been on synthroid for almost ten years, having trouble finding the right dose, I was on 125mcg for a few years but my TSH jumped around a lot, last time I checked it was around 30, so not good, I decided to try 150mcg at first I had a bit of insomnia but otherwise I felt great, going to find out on Saturday if it's been working as good as I thought, I ran out 3 days ago... and I've already gained a bit of weight (looks like I'm bloated) and woke up this morning depressed, oh well I get more on Saturday"

tmir554 April 9, 2015

For Underactive Thyroid "While it brought the TSH into the appropriate range, the exhaustion, lethargy, constipation, etc. was unbearable. For 20 hours out of the day, felt drowsy, unmotivated and sleepy. This is no way to live. Got on Tirosint and what a difference."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 30, 2015

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal "In a nutshell I had my thyroid removed ten years ago. I had a lot of horrible symptoms that I can only describe myself as feeling like a 100 year severely arthritic woman. My lab results seemed to always came out within range no matter what dosage I was on. I even called the synthroid company to discuss the various doses and learned the only difference between the doses I was trying besides the amount of thyroid hormone as the food coloring. In a quick internet search I learned my symptoms might be related to the food dyes. My endo rewrote my prescription using no dye tablets. With one week I had no pain. I take two 50mcg daily and on Monday and Thursday I add a half tablet. Life is good!"

SaltWaterTaffy March 26, 2015

For Underactive Thyroid "I began taking my Synthroid three weeks ago and I feel great. First I began breaking my 25 mcg pills into quarters and started out taking only a 1/4 pill. I do this in the morning with a glass of water. I am now taking one 25 mcg pill. My sleeping has improved, I have more energy, my skin looks better and my face does not look tired,. I refused to take this drug initially when I was first diagnosed in 2011 because of a bad scare taking the generic brand, so I let my new meds sit for six months before trying this brand. It works wonders for me and being a life-long gym and karate guy, I have more energy to do laps in the pool and do weights too. I have taken iodine and it works ok, but nothing like my Synthroid. Time will tell."

sd21 (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2015

For Underactive Thyroid "It allowed me to at least sleep better & I don't bruise as easy anymore...but it didn't relieve my swollen ankles, increase my energy, or start my hair to regrow."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 6, 2015

For Underactive Thyroid "It's official! My levels are normal and my hair is no longer falling out. Joint pain is also gone."

Dubble T (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 26, 2015

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Underactive Thyroid "I love that Synthroid has almost lowered my TSH and I'm feeling better. Though I am always hungry and eating a lot."

Dubble t December 28, 2014