Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Synthroid

Learn more about Synthroid.

Myxedema Coma 1 reviews 18 medications

Thyroid Suppression Test 0 reviews 18 medications

Summary of Synthroid reviews 86 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Synthroid

Review by Missyrue (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Underactive Thyroid: Synthroid gave me horrible migraines, two to three a week. Nothing seemed to alleviate them except getting off of the medication

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 19, 2015 10:59 PM

Review by Michele B71:

For Hashimoto's disease: My hashimotos with benign nodule was found after losing my twins to early delivery. Endo believes this was a missed factor in my loss. My TSH was over 4. Started on levothyroxine 100 mcg was great for 2 months but by the third month my blood sugars dropped, heart was racing (palpitations ), body itching like the burn you feel after a workout, my hair was falling out, severe anxiety and I was losing 2 lbs every few days (that part I didn't mind). I was insistent to check my TSH and it was 0.27 adjusted down to 88 mcg with an extra half tab once a week. My TSH is now 2.2 but I feel the depression and fatigue. Adjusting back up to 100 since it's been 3 years. At least now I know what to watch for. I no longer experience PCOS OR DM 2.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 11, 2015 6:17 PM

Review by Beccles (taken for 10 years or more):

For Hashimoto's disease: t4 only kept me sick for decades!

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 11, 2015 3:27 PM

Review by tmir554:

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: I had a goiter in my teens that was treated with radioactive iodine, I've been on synthroid for almost ten years, having trouble finding the right dose, I was on 125mcg for a few years but my TSH jumped around a lot, last time I checked it was around 30, so not good, I decided to try 150mcg at first I had a bit of insomnia but otherwise I felt great, going to find out on Saturday if it's been working as good as I thought, I ran out 3 days ago... and I've already gained a bit of weight (looks like I'm bloated) and woke up this morning depressed, oh well I get more on Saturday

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 9, 2015 1:11 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Underactive Thyroid: While it brought the TSH into the appropriate range, the exhaustion, lethargy, constipation, etc. was unbearable. For 20 hours out of the day, felt drowsy, unmotivated and sleepy. This is no way to live. Got on Tirosint and what a difference.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 30, 2015 6:28 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Underactive Thyroid: It allowed me to at least sleep better & I don't bruise as easy anymore...but it didn't relieve my swollen ankles, increase my energy, or start my hair to regrow.

February 6, 2015 5:12 PM

Review by Dubble T (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Underactive Thyroid: It's official! My levels are normal and my hair is no longer falling out. Joint pain is also gone.

January 26, 2015 9:28 PM

Review by Dubble t:

For Underactive Thyroid: I love that Synthroid has almost lowered my TSH and I'm feeling better. Though I am always hungry and eating a lot.

December 28, 2014 9:04 PM

Review by Mizz Annie:

For Underactive Thyroid: Had partial thyroid removal with benign tumor 30+ years ago, was OK until about 2 years ago and routine bloodwork showed low thyroid. After 2 years being OK on the medication suddenly the thyroid levels are dropping again, hair falling out, skin is breaking out in itchy red welts, gaining weight, so Dr upped the dosage. A couple weeks on higher dose I feel like I am "wired" in high gear, can't sit still, talking to myself going in circles, and my hot flashes have really really ramped up big time. Dr. says to give it at least 60 preferably 90 days to adjust, not sure I can hold out that long before stopping it. Hoping there is a better solution out there someplace.

October 27, 2014 10:00 PM

Review by ldydi49 (taken for 10 years or more):

For Hashimoto's disease: T4 only did not work for me, my body could not convert the T4 to the needed T3

August 8, 2014 12:30 PM

Review by sharonc2006 (taken for 10 years or more):

For Underactive Thyroid: Reading all the posts/comments on here - PEOPLE - if you are still feeling bad and not noticing relief from symptoms of an underactive thryoid PLEASE TELL YOUR doctor. If your doctor disagrees with you then find an ENDOCRINOLOGIST to get a second opinion. They specialize in endocrine issues which the thyroid falls under. You know your own body better than your doctor - research the symptoms of an underactive thryoid and if you are still feeling them - then get a second opinion. Never stop taking this medication on your own, it takes 4 to 6 And be aware that when you start this m weeks to notice a difference in your body. Also, ask your doctor to write DISPENSE AS WRITTEN on your prescription to avoid the pharmacy giving generic

142 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 19, 2014 12:13 PM

Review by Sharonkc2006:

For Hashimoto's disease: I've been on Synthroid for over 15 years due to Hashimoto's Disease and also partial thyroidectomy due to a nodule. For anyone who is on the medication and says they are feeling depressed, tired, etc. check into the symptoms of hypothyroidism/Hashimoto's disease as it may be that your medication is not at the right dose. My doctor considers 'normal' TSH to be between 1 and 3 while the AMA lists it as between 1 and 5. When I am at a 4, I do not feel well and have all the symptoms. DON'T just STOP taking this medication on your own as you can have severe side effects, GO back to your doctor and discuss how you feel. I cannot take the generics as they do not work for me. Only SYNTHROID for me! (I'm on 225 a day!)

January 19, 2014 12:06 PM

Review by DeboraL.:

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: I had my thyroid irradiated in 2005 due to Grave's disease caused by Hep C treatment (Ribivirin & Interferon). At first I saw an endocrinologist that prescribed Armour Thyroid but loss of job and insurance forced me to go to a free clinic, where I receive Synthroid. The clinic doesn't seem to understand the difference between experiencing low thyroid levels from naturally occurring hypothyroidism, & complete loss of thyroid. My NP says to me, incredulously, "You take an awful lot of thyroid!", & at that time I was only taking 75mcg a day. Finally after three years of 75 to 100mcg, when I felt absolutely crazy (tired, confused, hair loss, cranky, paranoid, angry, enormous weight gain), she now has me on 150mcg which seems not perfect but better.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 7, 2014 12:55 AM

Review by lost31:

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: My thyroid disease was caught by my determination to find the real cause to my sudden physical & mental change. Long story short I had thyroid cancer twice (2010 & 2012). April 2013 was thyroidectomy, radiation 3 months later. It's taken all my strength not to give up. I'm finally on 175mcg & my endocrinologist is brushing off my complaints of being depressed over nothing, tired, weak, cold, forgetful, wake up to aching feet. She said 2.1 is in range & Synthroid is the solution. It isn't enough! It or my dose isn't jiving with my body. I'm so tired of being tired. Some days it feels like I have cinder blocks tied to my feet.

126 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 20, 2013 2:57 AM

Review by Hyposufferer1 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Hashimoto's disease: 6+ years on Synthroid, and this is what I have to show for it..Used to be a size 12 now a 28, no periods, pain all over, Hypo symptoms still, mental and mood symptoms ( anxiety, depression, mood swings) My Growth Hormone is only 40 and my FSH is 78. I can't have children. Finally switched to Cytomel, it broke me out, and still had same symptoms as above. My level was over 20 last they checked. Just got a RX for Armour, hoping I finally get my life back

November 7, 2013 12:39 AM

Review by Tulsiebud:

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: I have had thyroid surgery two months ago. I take my daily dosage of levothyroxine every morning before breakfast and I am doing great.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 25, 2013 11:46 PM

Review by Hopefullysoon:

For Hashimoto's disease: I was on this medication for about two weeks or so and within the first couple of days it made me feel extremely anxious and depressed. I felt as if I was not in control of my emotions. As if this was not bad enough I also felt an uncomfortable sensation in my neck and experienced trouble sleeping.

October 18, 2013 1:58 AM

Review by Anonymous151637326236:

For Hashimoto's disease: I've been on Synthroid my whole life, it works like a charm. I'm on a dose of 120 right now and its helping.

October 17, 2013 10:50 PM

Review by noname817:

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: I have been on synthroid for 20 years. My dosage is 100...To the person whose thyroid was removed and dosage is 250...Sounds a bit high. My tsh level was also 2. 54 the last time I went to the doctor and I feel better than I have in a long time. Anytime I feel a little psycho and mean. I know my levels are off.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 11, 2013 11:50 AM

Review by Tia4life:

For Underactive Thyroid: Although Synthroid keeps my test results "normal" I still have all of the hypothyroid symptoms. Severe exhaustion, sensitivity to cold, trouble concentrating, etc...like I haven't experienced since before I found out I had hypothyroidism. I was only put on Synthroid since the medication I am normally prescribed is no longer available.

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 22, 2013 8:29 PM

Review by willseth:

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: It works great for me

August 1, 2013 11:57 AM

Review by Shahid Rathore:

For Underactive Thyroid: I am taking Synthroid 0.05 mg (50mcg). Helps me a lot. Very effective in my case.

July 14, 2013 11:58 PM

Review by Tramag823 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Underactive Thyroid: I started taking Synthroid about 6 months ago and I feel really good. I went from feeling like a zombie to feeling like my normal self again. Before starting on Synthroid I had most of the typical hypothyroid symptoms...tiredness, dry skin, cold intolerance, puffy face, etc. Now the only symptom that still bothers me is water retention. My Dr. just increased my dose so hopefully that goes away soon.

110 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 3, 2013 12:31 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Underactive Thyroid: Only been on this medicine for 4 days and it has already made a huge difference in how I feel. The depression was awful and the intolerance to the cold was bone chilling. I hope things continue to look up. So far so good!

137 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 17, 2013 10:35 PM

Review by Robert2013:

For Underactive Thyroid: Synthroid saved my life....been taking it for almost four years now. I had all of the worst symptoms in the worst way of a basically dead thyroid. I was feeling better within a week of taking it and continued to feel better and better every day for about the next six months. That's when it leveled off and I've been happy (and grateful) ever since. It took about a year or so to lose all of the weight I gained as a result of crummy thyroid. The weight just came right off after taking Synthroid. I'm on 225Mcg per day with very minimal side effects...so minimal that I can't recall what they are at the moment.

180 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 11, 2013 6:11 PM