User Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen

Learn more about Ortho Tri-Cyclen.

Ortho Tri-Cyclen Review Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 209 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen to treat Birth Control

"I've been on this pill for 6 months, I have lost my sex drive, my cramps are worse then normal, my period last a full week, and I have worse acne then normal. I am changing my b/c at my next doctors visit!"

Pained23 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 24, 2015

"Best birth control!!! I have been on it for about a year and a half if not longer have no complaints I got on this because the depo shot was defiantly not working for me. Definitely glad I switched over - no random mood swings, cleared all acne within a month, no weight gain, over all it the best birth control I've been on"

Jaisjjqhe (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 25, 2015

"I took this for 3 yrs and 6 months everything has been great for me, no gain weigth, no loss of appettite, basically the same on weight, but the only thing that changed was my sex drive, I dont feel the same its low sex drive, very dry down there. but other than that it worked good for me, have to change because of recent high blood preassure."

elimm (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 18, 2015

"I took Ortho Tricyclen for just over 5 years. Initially I noticed a lot of mood instability and I was behaving in ways that were very unusual for me. However this subsided within the first six months. Otherwise I had a relatively good experience, and my periods became so light that they almost stopped. However I was not doing well remembering to take the pills and recently switched to Mirena. Tricyclen is a great option if you are able to remember the pills on time!"

soonin July 12, 2015

"Cons: Experienced a significant increase in appetite, which led to lots of weight gain (I went from 115 lbs to 125 lbs after 6 months of use). I felt bloated all the time and I felt like I looked 4 months pregnant. Also, I had no sex drive at all. Breast tenderness/pain was a problem too Pros: I didn't get pregnant, my mood was pretty stable, my skin was clear, and periods were pretty light."

elh594 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 22, 2015

"This birth control regulated my period, made my skin look great and made my boobs grow. It made me very hungry all the time and my sex drive went shooting up. good stuff"

hantahjdtgstedrfyfhg (taken for less than 1 month) June 22, 2015

"I was on this for a couple years before and I loved it. It regulated my period and cleared my acne and I don't remember having any side effects then. I'm starting it again after a year break and I immediately noticed this awful nausea even though I take it at night I'll still wake up sick. Helps if taken with food. I've only been on it for a couple of days so as I get used to the medicine the nausea will (hopefully) go away."

Samosas jab (taken for less than 1 month) May 28, 2015

"I went on this for 2 months to see if it would offset the breakthrough bleeding I had on ortho tri lo. I lost weight because this pill caused me to have terrible diahrrea. It was so bad it continued after I was off of it for 6 months. I had to see a GI dr because I thought I had IBS. This pill caused me to be nauseous, have acid reflux and zapped my sex drive. It caused vaginal dryness too. I would also get terrible migraines and I NEVER get migraines or headaches. I ended up going off of it because my body couldn't handle the side effects. Made me slightly melancholy and tired too. It did prevent pregnancy and no spotting. I also had a decreased appetite and weight loss so it wasn't the worst."

Meowmers (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 28, 2015

"So thankful this was the first pill my Doc recommended. Absolutely amazing pill! My main concern was weight gain by starting b/c... But I've actually lost 10 pounds since being on this pill. My skin has cleared up. Periods last 3-4 days very light. No cramps. ONLY issue was the first 3 months I kept experiencing a few yeast infections... But that issue stopped as soon as I started taking a daily probiotic. I will admit sometimes I am moody & emotional but I don't know if I can blame the pill entirely lol. My appitite is up & down at times but honestly that's all about self-control. So overall I'm so happy with this pill and I plan on staying on it until I'm ready for kiddies"

Rose Itsa (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 18, 2015

"This Is An Amazing Birth Control. I've Been On This For Five Years And Counting. I Never Got Pregnant, My Menstrual Last About 3-4 Days(Regular Period ) ,No Cramps, Face Is Clear Of Acne, From Time To Time Ive Gotten Moody But Overall I Love It! I'm Looking Forward To Getting Off And Starting A Family."

RubyBaby February 17, 2015

"I've been on this pill for the past 8 years. I absolutely love it! After having tried 2 different types of birth control pills before I found this one. This is the one for me, it cleared up my acne within a month of taking it, I've had no weight gain or weight loss, no headaches. Normal cramps and a shorter period (4-5 days)."

INSANExANGEL January 5, 2015

"The positive I had on this medication was having great, clear skin. But the negatives very heavily outweigh the positives. Ive been on this for a month and a half and already have to stop taking it. I get constant headaches, my mood swings are off the wall (affecting my boyfriend and i's relationship), nausea, difficulty concentrating, irrational thoughts and depression. Switching off of this immediately. If you are prone to depression DO NOT take this pill!"

Concave223333 December 1, 2014

"I've been using this pill for approximately 2.5 years. I have never had any trouble with it, never gotten pregnant. Disclaimer: I DO take it everyday, hardly ever skip, and when I do forget, I double up the next day, so I think I've got myself covered. I did not experience weight gain (but I'm pretty physically active 5'3 120lbs). Cramps, well sometimes but not bad, no problems with acne, no mood swings (unless I'm ON my period, but that's a given). If you're young and seriously unprepared for the risk of having a child, I would recommend making sure your partner STILL uses a condom even if you're on birth control, trust me (3 Years and its worked for, knock on wood)."

Shar1238 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 30, 2014

"I'm using this pill for the second time -- for the last few years, I didn't need birth control as the man I was committed to had a vasectomy. The first time I used Ortho TriCyclen I was 18 and continued use until 21. Now I'm 25 and have been using it again for 2 months now. I love this pill! The only negatives I've experienced have been very mild and include slight weight gain (5 lbs), but mainly in the breasts and hips (and whoever complained about looking more like an hourglass??), and I've also, after two periods on it, have noticed that my periods are more painful. It's not awful in my case, I never really had a problem with cramping anyway without the pill. But, my periods are very light, short (2-3 days), and manageable. No complaints!"

Quinnzie (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 17, 2014

"I took it for a while mainly for acne and I wanted the IED but my OB suggested I try this as a birth control method as well as help with my acne after I had my first child. I must admit it did wonders on my periods and acne. I had lighter and shorter periods but my sex drive went DOWN. I also missed a weeks worth of the pill due to not picking it from the pharmacy so I waited till my next period to restart it and now I'm nauseated and cramping super bad, this is the second day back on it and my period ended just last week. I started my period again right after taking the pill the Sunday after my period ended and now I feel like POO. I know it will pass as I take it as I said above I had a great first experience besides having no sex drive."

SJF123489 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 8, 2014

"I had an okay experience at first, the only positive thing was that my periods were lighter. The cramping was awful though. I constantly had a headache caused from the estrogen levels so they switched me to something not so high. I was on it for 3 months before they switched me to Aviane."

Jay6829 July 6, 2014

"I had no spotting, weight gain or acne on this pill but it did not help me with PMS."

Shanny112 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 6, 2014

"In my opinion, this pill really has many positive things to it. I've had no moods swings. I've been able to control my weight so much easier on this pill and my periods have been lighter and shorter. The only problem the first week I used it I've been nauseated. Other than that great pill."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 29, 2014

"I've been on different pills for the past 7 years due to extreme period cramps and acne as well but I've been on this Ortho TriCyclen for 2 years and I just want to say that Birth control does NOT affect your weight. It affects your appetite hence the fact we gain weight. The reason I know is because Its easy for me to gain and lose while on the pill if I eat a lot I gain instantly. If I exercise and eat healthy same thing! I lose a lot faster on this pill. This pill makes it easy for me to maintain my weight due to the lifestyle I live! My acne has cleared up dramatically and my cramps are gone and my period lasts between 4-5 days. I always use condoms but gave it an 8 due to loss in sex drive but other than that, it's great pill!"

Ashley55 May 7, 2014

"First time on birth control and I started with this one mainly because I had terrible cramps and period side effects. Doctor recommended Ortho Tri-Cyclen and I have been using it for 4 months now. Can't complain about the pill. My face has significantly become clearer. Still have pretty bad cramping though. My period now lasts about 4-5 days versus the 6-7. I Also had weight gain. Gained 15lbs in a matter of 3 mths. I am 5'8 and normally weigh 115 so for me it wasn't a big deal. I definitely felt my breast a lot heavier too. I rarely suffer from headaches and this pill made me get one almost every other day, which was annoying and uncomfy. Had to switch due to break through bleeding though, Either Azurette or Lutera. "

Jax1234 February 13, 2014

"I took Ortho Tri-Cyclen from when I was 16-20 years old the first time, and I recently started taking it again 2 months ago. Both times, I experienced an increase in cup size (~2 cups), which was nice, but I think part of that is connected to weight gain. After I switched to a different birth control the first time, I dropped about 7 lbs. over the course of a few months. I then stopped the other birth control because I was having some bad side effects and dropped another 10 additional lbs., but on the downside my breast size decreased to an A (the size it was when I was 17 prior to taking Ortho Tri-Cyclen). Now that I have been taking it for two months, I have definitely not felt like myself and have been depressed & unable to concentrate, and have gained 7 lbs."

Anonymous456 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 13, 2014

"I've been taking this pill on and off for a while now. I say about a year. And until I read everyone else's review I've notice why I was moody for a while. Depression was bad I always thought my boyfriend didn't want me. My sex drive went up. I think my over all attitude was kind of trashy. Even if things were going ok the brighter side wouldn't make my day. I like it because I'm never questioning if I'm pregnant but it's best not to miss any pills where you have to take more then one at once because I became really sick...Hours of constant up chucking. I didn't notice no weight issues."

Peanut100292 February 12, 2014

"I love this birth control! I've been on it for about 2 months. The first month was rough. I was very gassy, moody, my boobs were so tender (still kinda are) and I spotted for a week then a heavy painful period for another week. However it was so worth how great it's been since getting past that first month! My face is clearer, my hormones are in check, my boobs are bigger but I haven't gained weight anywhere else, and I'm not pregnant! (And I don't use condoms) would definitely suggest it"

Britttttt January 20, 2014

"I haven't gotten pregnant on this pill hence I gave it a 10 for effectiveness. I have been on it for 6 months. I have gained 27 lbs on my 5 foot frame. Month one I started noticing a decline in my sex drive. My flawless face became a pepperoni pizza. Still didn't get off the pill the last couple of weeks I started having this feeling of not wanting to do anything that anymore. Did not want to work, nor go to school, and started doubting my feelings for my boyfriend. I started crying like a crazy person. It was just hard for me to get up. I was sleepy all the time. I am getting off this."

JellyBells (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 13, 2014

"It made me bloated, very moody, depressed, and gained 17 pounds and kept on gaining until switched to a different pill. It did its job, prevents pregnancy but definitely makes you gain a lot of weight. Got off the pill lost the 15 pounds within 2 weeks..."

Sylvia055 November 29, 2013