User Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen

Learn more about Ortho Tri-Cyclen.

Ortho Tri-Cyclen review summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 201 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen to treat Birth Control

Review by SJF123489 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I took it for a while mainly for acne and I wanted the IED but my OB suggested I try this as a birth control method as well as help with my acne after I had my first child. I must admit it did wonders on my periods and acne. I had lighter and shorter periods but my sex drive went DOWN. I also missed a weeks worth of the pill due to not picking it from the pharmacy so I waited till my next period to restart it and now I'm nauseated and cramping super bad, this is the second day back on it and my period ended just last week. I started my period again right after taking the pill the Sunday after my period ended and now I feel like POO. I know it will pass as I take it as I said above I had a great first experience besides having no sex drive.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 8, 2014 9:33 AM

Review by Jay6829:

I had an okay experience at first, the only positive thing was that my periods were lighter. The cramping was awful though. I constantly had a headache caused from the estrogen levels so they switched me to something not so high. I was on it for 3 months before they switched me to Aviane.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 6, 2014 11:51 PM

Review by Shanny112 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I had no spotting, weight gain or acne on this pill but it did not help me with PMS.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 6, 2014 10:37 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

In my opinion, this pill really has many positive things to it. I've had no moods swings. I've been able to control my weight so much easier on this pill and my periods have been lighter and shorter. The only problem the first week I used it I've been nauseated. Other than that great pill.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 29, 2014 6:20 PM

Review by Ashley55:

I've been on different pills for the past 7 years due to extreme period cramps and acne as well but I've been on this Ortho TriCyclen for 2 years and I just want to say that Birth control does NOT affect your weight. It affects your appetite hence the fact we gain weight. The reason I know is because Its easy for me to gain and lose while on the pill if I eat a lot I gain instantly. If I exercise and eat healthy same thing! I lose a lot faster on this pill. This pill makes it easy for me to maintain my weight due to the lifestyle I live! My acne has cleared up dramatically and my cramps are gone and my period lasts between 4-5 days. I always use condoms but gave it an 8 due to loss in sex drive but other than that, it's great pill!

May 7, 2014 4:12 AM

Review by Jax1234:

First time on birth control and I started with this one mainly because I had terrible cramps and period side effects. Doctor recommended Ortho Tri-Cyclen and I have been using it for 4 months now. Can't complain about the pill. My face has significantly become clearer. Still have pretty bad cramping though. My period now lasts about 4-5 days versus the 6-7. I Also had weight gain. Gained 15lbs in a matter of 3 mths. I am 5'8 and normally weigh 115 so for me it wasn't a big deal. I definitely felt my breast a lot heavier too. I rarely suffer from headaches and this pill made me get one almost every other day, which was annoying and uncomfy. Had to switch due to break through bleeding though, Either Azurette or Lutera.

February 13, 2014 7:16 PM

Review by Anonymous456 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I took Ortho Tri-Cyclen from when I was 16-20 years old the first time, and I recently started taking it again 2 months ago. Both times, I experienced an increase in cup size (~2 cups), which was nice, but I think part of that is connected to weight gain. After I switched to a different birth control the first time, I dropped about 7 lbs. over the course of a few months. I then stopped the other birth control because I was having some bad side effects and dropped another 10 additional lbs., but on the downside my breast size decreased to an A (the size it was when I was 17 prior to taking Ortho Tri-Cyclen). Now that I have been taking it for two months, I have definitely not felt like myself and have been depressed & unable to concentrate, and have gained 7 lbs.

February 13, 2014 6:52 PM

Review by Peanut100292:

I've been taking this pill on and off for a while now. I say about a year. And until I read everyone else's review I've notice why I was moody for a while. Depression was bad I always thought my boyfriend didn't want me. My sex drive went up. I think my over all attitude was kind of trashy. Even if things were going ok the brighter side wouldn't make my day. I like it because I'm never questioning if I'm pregnant but it's best not to miss any pills where you have to take more then one at once because I became really sick...Hours of constant up chucking. I didn't notice no weight issues.

February 12, 2014 7:13 PM

Review by Britttttt:

I love this birth control! I've been on it for about 2 months. The first month was rough. I was very gassy, moody, my boobs were so tender (still kinda are) and I spotted for a week then a heavy painful period for another week. However it was so worth how great it's been since getting past that first month! My face is clearer, my hormones are in check, my boobs are bigger but I haven't gained weight anywhere else, and I'm not pregnant! (And I don't use condoms) would definitely suggest it

January 20, 2014 2:09 AM

Review by JellyBells (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I haven't gotten pregnant on this pill hence I gave it a 10 for effectiveness. I have been on it for 6 months. I have gained 27 lbs on my 5 foot frame. Month one I started noticing a decline in my sex drive. My flawless face became a pepperoni pizza. Still didn't get off the pill the last couple of weeks I started having this feeling of not wanting to do anything that anymore. Did not want to work, nor go to school, and started doubting my feelings for my boyfriend. I started crying like a crazy person. It was just hard for me to get up. I was sleepy all the time. I am getting off this.

January 13, 2014 12:07 PM

Review by Sylvia055:

It made me bloated, very moody, depressed, and gained 17 pounds and kept on gaining until switched to a different pill. It did its job, prevents pregnancy but definitely makes you gain a lot of weight. Got off the pill lost the 15 pounds within 2 weeks...

November 29, 2013 6:33 PM

Review by awfully:

this birth control has made me so sensitive and moody that I'm miserable and miserable to be around!

November 10, 2013 2:14 PM

Review by migraines++:

I tried bcp in college, but they aggravated my migraines. At age 23, my neurologist said that because most of my migraines occurred just before my period, OrthoTricylen would work for me. My migraines got BETTER, my already clear complexion become clearer, and my periods lightened. However, the first three months were tough. My breasts swelled from a 34C to a 34D+ (enough to buy a bigger bra), I was easily enraged, and I became a bit of a space cadet - but it all went away after the first 3 months. I also never got pregnant until after taking this pill. If you have migraines, talk to your neurologist about this pill.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 7, 2013 12:34 AM

Review by Olive24:

I'm 24, been on it for 1 year. I have gone from 112lbs to 127lbs but have pretty clear skin other than during my period and the week after. Periods come the same day same time each month and are not too heavy. My biggest problem with this pill is my absolute lack in sex drive. Planned parenthood gave me the Nuvaring to try. Hoping it doesn't mess me up!

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 4, 2013 12:37 AM

Review by Mami77 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I took this for about 3 yrs when I was 18-20 yrs old. I liked it and had no issues with it. No weight gain and kept my skin nice. Periods were kind of heavy with cramping but manageable.

July 29, 2013 3:25 PM

Review by jen:

I've been taking Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo, but I was told that Ortho Tri Cyclen would be free through my insurance if I switched. So I did. I never had a problem on OTCL, and my doctor said that OTC would be pretty much the same and wouldn't even be able to tell the difference. WRONG!!! This pill is absolutely awful. I'm always pissed at everyone. I lose my cool over the smallest things. I'm crying about everything and I'm never happy. My boobs feel like they've gained 20 pounds and are always hurting. My sleep patterns are so crazy and I'm always tired. My boyfriend thinks this pill has made me into bridezilla. I only have 3 days left. Thank goodness. Not pregnant, but not worth all this grief. I'd much rather pay $30 a month to be happy.

July 27, 2013 6:16 PM

Review by Xoxoxo xoxoxo (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I have taken this pill for years. It helped predict when my cycle would come and for how long. It was very short and light. Hardly ever had any cramps as well. It also did wonders for acne! I never realized until I switched birth control pills.

July 7, 2013 8:43 PM

Review by dreamfashion12:

I started taking birth control pills a few years ago but after trying 5 or 6 different ones, I started taking OTC. This is the ONLY pill I have tried that does not make me bleed through half the pack, clears up my acne to an extent, does not affect my mood, and makes my cramps basically nonexistent. It is a miracle pill for me. I think because it has varying amount of hormones each week that mimic your own cycle, it works better for many women. I have not experienced any difference in my weight, I've started working out since I began taking this pill and have lost a little weight. The thing I am happiest about though is that I do not have breakthrough bleeding.

March 10, 2013 1:48 PM

Review by Lilkj:

Effective form of birth control

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 10, 2013 1:05 PM

Review by coldjoy:

I've been taking this pill for about 6 months now, and have gained 20 pounds. I haven't made any change to my diet or exercise routine. But the pill's been working well otherwise. I never really got acne, so that stayed about the same, I'm about the same emotionally, except for maybe worse PMS symptoms. My sex drive is outrageous, maybe even a little more than when I started on the pill...I'm just worried about the amount of weight gained in such a short time..I am also really bad at remembering to take the pill every day.

January 27, 2013 2:06 AM

Review by Erinn:

I started this birth-control after I had my son, and for a while I thought my post pregnancy hormones were to blame for my moodiness. After four months I realized this birth control was to blame! I am usually happy-go-lucky, and see the best in every situation. NOT on this pill. The smallest things upset me and I would get mad for no reason at all. A friend of mine had the same experience... The only reason I gave it any stars at all was because it did prevent pregnancy unlike the kind I took before!

January 10, 2013 1:28 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This pill made me an irritable, moody, depressed mess. I would fly off the handle at the drop of a hat and was constantly agitated. It was AWFUL for me and I would never take it again. It did manage to clear my skin pretty well and also my breasts were a little bit more full but it was not worth the emotional issues it caused me. I recently stayed on it for 3 months as recommended to see if side effects would lessen but they did not. The fist time I ever took this medicine I was 19 and ended up on anti-depressants because I didn't realize it was the birth control pill causing my mood swings and depression. This led to a tailspin of anti-depressant madness for the next 5 years and not one doctor ever told me I should try a different birth control pill.

December 10, 2012 5:24 PM

Review by yeslek1691 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I have PCOS and worked for years on diet and exercise to regulate my period. But never was able to get to regular to where I could predict it. For about nine months prior I was taking metformin to help and I lost about 16 pounds with it. So My gyn recommended taking birth control to help regulate my cycle. My period became regular to between 22-24 day cycle. However I had intense bloating and crazy food cravings, that I have never had before. My mood swings changed to the point where some months I would be really depressed and down. Around the 3 or 4 month of being on the pill I started having severe break through bleeding that lasted between cycles and eventually did go away. Once that stopped I was experiencing severe indigestion.

September 6, 2012 11:06 AM

Review by Karen Shelton (taken for 1 to 6 months):

First of all, I started taking birth control when I was 17. I started to regulate and lighten my period. I took Yaz for a year. No problems. After I turned 18, my insurance dropped me so I went to a women's clinic and was given six months of the Ortho. I have been taking it for four months now, and once this pack is gone, I'm done. The side effects are HORRIBLE. I have no drive for sex. I'm moody, I cry constantly. My period is heavy and unpredictable. It also lasts forever. I haven't gotten pregnant (we use condoms as well though), but that's the only plus. My relationship is at stake here because of a pill.

June 3, 2012 11:18 PM

I was on Ortho Tri-Cyclen for over a year. It did what it had to do which was to prevent pregnancy. During the use of the birth control, I had mild spotting in between periods as well as some cramping. But I became very depressed and emotional. Anything would set me off. I would be happy one moment then I would start crying. Now I've been off for two months and my family and friends can tell the difference.

April 18, 2012 9:06 PM