User Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen

Learn more about Ortho Tri-Cyclen.

Ortho Tri-Cyclen review summary

6.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 196 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen to treat Birth Control

Review by Jax1234: User Rating:

First time on birth control and I started with this one mainly because I had terrible cramps and period side effects. Doctor recommended Ortho Tri-Cyclen and I have been using it for 4 months now. Can't complain about the pill. My face has significantly become clearer. Still have pretty bad cramping though. My period now lasts about 4-5 days versus the 6-7. I Also had weight gain. Gained 15lbs in a matter of 3 mths. I am 5'8 and normally weigh 115 so for me it wasn't a big deal. I definitely felt my breast a lot heavier too. I rarely suffer from headaches and this pill made me get one almost every other day, which was annoying and uncomfy. Had to switch due to break through bleeding though, Either Azurette or Lutera.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 13, 2014 7:16 PM
Review by Anonymous456 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

I took Ortho Tri-Cyclen from when I was 16-20 years old the first time, and I recently started taking it again 2 months ago. Both times, I experienced an increase in cup size (~2 cups), which was nice, but I think part of that is connected to weight gain. After I switched to a different birth control the first time, I dropped about 7 lbs. over the course of a few months. I then stopped the other birth control because I was having some bad side effects and dropped another 10 additional lbs., but on the downside my breast size decreased to an A (the size it was when I was 17 prior to taking Ortho Tri-Cyclen). Now that I have been taking it for two months, I have definitely not felt like myself and have been depressed & unable to concentrate, and have gained 7 lbs.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 13, 2014 6:52 PM
Review by Peanut100292: User Rating:

I've been taking this pill on and off for a while now. I say about a year. And until I read everyone else's review I've notice why I was moody for a while. Depression was bad I always thought my boyfriend didn't want me. My sex drive went up. I think my over all attitude was kind of trashy. Even if things were going ok the brighter side wouldn't make my day. I like it because I'm never questioning if I'm pregnant but it's best not to miss any pills where you have to take more then one at once because I became really sick...Hours of constant up chucking. I didn't notice no weight issues.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 12, 2014 7:13 PM
Review by Britttttt: User Rating:

I love this birth control! I've been on it for about 2 months. The first month was rough. I was very gassy, moody, my boobs were so tender (still kinda are) and I spotted for a week then a heavy painful period for another week. However it was so worth how great it's been since getting past that first month! My face is clearer, my hormones are in check, my boobs are bigger but I haven't gained weight anywhere else, and I'm not pregnant! (And I don't use condoms) would definitely suggest it

January 20, 2014 2:09 AM
Review by JellyBells (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I haven't gotten pregnant on this pill hence I gave it a 10 for effectiveness. I have been on it for 6 months. I have gained 27 lbs on my 5 foot frame. Month one I started noticing a decline in my sex drive. My flawless face became a pepperoni pizza. Still didn't get off the pill the last couple of weeks I started having this feeling of not wanting to do anything that anymore. Did not want to work, nor go to school, and started doubting my feelings for my boyfriend. I started crying like a crazy person. It was just hard for me to get up. I was sleepy all the time. I am getting off this.

January 13, 2014 12:07 PM
Review by Sylvia055: User Rating:

It made me bloated, very moody, depressed, and gained 17 pounds and kept on gaining until switched to a different pill. It did its job, prevents pregnancy but definitely makes you gain a lot of weight. Got off the pill lost the 15 pounds within 2 weeks...

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 29, 2013 6:33 PM
Review by awfully:

this birth control has made me so sensitive and moody that I'm miserable and miserable to be around!

November 10, 2013 2:14 PM
Review by migraines++: User Rating:

I tried bcp in college, but they aggravated my migraines. At age 23, my neurologist said that because most of my migraines occurred just before my period, OrthoTricylen would work for me. My migraines got BETTER, my already clear complexion become clearer, and my periods lightened. However, the first three months were tough. My breasts swelled from a 34C to a 34D+ (enough to buy a bigger bra), I was easily enraged, and I became a bit of a space cadet - but it all went away after the first 3 months. I also never got pregnant until after taking this pill. If you have migraines, talk to your neurologist about this pill.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 7, 2013 12:34 AM
Review by Olive24: User Rating:

I'm 24, been on it for 1 year. I have gone from 112lbs to 127lbs but have pretty clear skin other than during my period and the week after. Periods come the same day same time each month and are not too heavy. My biggest problem with this pill is my absolute lack in sex drive. Planned parenthood gave me the Nuvaring to try. Hoping it doesn't mess me up!

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 4, 2013 12:37 AM
Review by Mami77 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

I took this for about 3 yrs when I was 18-20 yrs old. I liked it and had no issues with it. No weight gain and kept my skin nice. Periods were kind of heavy with cramping but manageable.

July 29, 2013 3:25 PM
Review by jen: User Rating:

I've been taking Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo, but I was told that Ortho Tri Cyclen would be free through my insurance if I switched. So I did. I never had a problem on OTCL, and my doctor said that OTC would be pretty much the same and wouldn't even be able to tell the difference. WRONG!!! This pill is absolutely awful. I'm always pissed at everyone. I lose my cool over the smallest things. I'm crying about everything and I'm never happy. My boobs feel like they've gained 20 pounds and are always hurting. My sleep patterns are so crazy and I'm always tired. My boyfriend thinks this pill has made me into bridezilla. I only have 3 days left. Thank goodness. Not pregnant, but not worth all this grief. I'd much rather pay $30 a month to be happy.

July 27, 2013 6:16 PM
Review by Xoxoxo xoxoxo (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

I have taken this pill for years. It helped predict when my cycle would come and for how long. It was very short and light. Hardly ever had any cramps as well. It also did wonders for acne! I never realized until I switched birth control pills.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 7, 2013 8:43 PM
Review by dreamfashion12: User Rating:

I started taking birth control pills a few years ago but after trying 5 or 6 different ones, I started taking OTC. This is the ONLY pill I have tried that does not make me bleed through half the pack, clears up my acne to an extent, does not affect my mood, and makes my cramps basically nonexistent. It is a miracle pill for me. I think because it has varying amount of hormones each week that mimic your own cycle, it works better for many women. I have not experienced any difference in my weight, I've started working out since I began taking this pill and have lost a little weight. The thing I am happiest about though is that I do not have breakthrough bleeding.

March 10, 2013 1:48 PM
Review by Lilkj: User Rating:

Effective form of birth control

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 10, 2013 1:05 PM
Review by coldjoy: User Rating:

I've been taking this pill for about 6 months now, and have gained 20 pounds. I haven't made any change to my diet or exercise routine. But the pill's been working well otherwise. I never really got acne, so that stayed about the same, I'm about the same emotionally, except for maybe worse PMS symptoms. My sex drive is outrageous, maybe even a little more than when I started on the pill...I'm just worried about the amount of weight gained in such a short time..I am also really bad at remembering to take the pill every day.

January 27, 2013 2:06 AM
Review by Erinn: User Rating:

I started this birth-control after I had my son, and for a while I thought my post pregnancy hormones were to blame for my moodiness. After four months I realized this birth control was to blame! I am usually happy-go-lucky, and see the best in every situation. NOT on this pill. The smallest things upset me and I would get mad for no reason at all. A friend of mine had the same experience... The only reason I gave it any stars at all was because it did prevent pregnancy unlike the kind I took before!

January 10, 2013 1:28 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

This pill made me an irritable, moody, depressed mess. I would fly off the handle at the drop of a hat and was constantly agitated. It was AWFUL for me and I would never take it again. It did manage to clear my skin pretty well and also my breasts were a little bit more full but it was not worth the emotional issues it caused me. I recently stayed on it for 3 months as recommended to see if side effects would lessen but they did not. The fist time I ever took this medicine I was 19 and ended up on anti-depressants because I didn't realize it was the birth control pill causing my mood swings and depression. This led to a tailspin of anti-depressant madness for the next 5 years and not one doctor ever told me I should try a different birth control pill.

December 10, 2012 5:24 PM
Review by yeslek1691 (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

I have PCOS and worked for years on diet and exercise to regulate my period. But never was able to get to regular to where I could predict it. For about nine months prior I was taking metformin to help and I lost about 16 pounds with it. So My gyn recommended taking birth control to help regulate my cycle. My period became regular to between 22-24 day cycle. However I had intense bloating and crazy food cravings, that I have never had before. My mood swings changed to the point where some months I would be really depressed and down. Around the 3 or 4 month of being on the pill I started having severe break through bleeding that lasted between cycles and eventually did go away. Once that stopped I was experiencing severe indigestion.

September 6, 2012 11:06 AM
Review by Karen Shelton (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

First of all, I started taking birth control when I was 17. I started to regulate and lighten my period. I took Yaz for a year. No problems. After I turned 18, my insurance dropped me so I went to a women's clinic and was given six months of the Ortho. I have been taking it for four months now, and once this pack is gone, I'm done. The side effects are HORRIBLE. I have no drive for sex. I'm moody, I cry constantly. My period is heavy and unpredictable. It also lasts forever. I haven't gotten pregnant (we use condoms as well though), but that's the only plus. My relationship is at stake here because of a pill.

June 3, 2012 11:18 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I was on Ortho Tri-Cyclen for over a year. It did what it had to do which was to prevent pregnancy. During the use of the birth control, I had mild spotting in between periods as well as some cramping. But I became very depressed and emotional. Anything would set me off. I would be happy one moment then I would start crying. Now I've been off for two months and my family and friends can tell the difference.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 18, 2012 9:06 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I have been using this for a year while regularly having sex and never got pregnant. I think this is a great pill, it worked wonders for my sex drive as well. However, it does cause me to spot the week before my period most months and not all cramping is gone. Emotionally it has not affected me at all!

April 2, 2012 9:56 PM
Review by Kelli8: User Rating:

It took me a long time to realize some major changes in my life directly correlated with the time I began to take Ortho Tri-Cyclen. I thought these were just general changes in my life until I realized they all started around the same time. I gained about 8-10 pounds, which is almost 10% of my body weight so it made a noticeable difference. The biggest negative point, however was the depression and irritability. I would cry for at least 2 days every month for no reason and considered dropping out of school and moving back home because I was so unhappy. Since I stopped taking Ortho Tri-Cyclen a month ago my whole life has gone back to normal, dropped 5 pounds and generally happy and comfortable. I never got pregnant, though.

February 29, 2012 5:50 PM
Review by elliedre:

I started this pill and immediately had horrible mood swings. I thought I was losing my mind, I am not a crier and I cried almost everyday for a week. I had horrible cramping, nausea, weird sleeping patterns. Also, my anxiety increased, my breasts became severely sore and I started to sweat a lot more. I'm switching to Aviane now and hopefully it works better. The plus side to this pill though was my acne cleared up and I didn't gain any weight.

February 21, 2012 5:26 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I started taking this as an alternative to the Nuvaring which was giving me all sorts of troubles. I bled the entire time and after the first month, I decided I couldn't keep doing it. I bled for a little over a week after. I wouldn't say it's a terrible birth control pill, I just don't think it agreed with me.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 11, 2012 1:22 AM
Review by AnnaXx924: User Rating:

This birth control is great, better than I was was on before and that was the NuvaRing. This pill is easy to take. Some cramping here and there before my period but I always get my period the third day of my iron pills. But there's a down side. I wear contacts, I prefer them so much more than my glasses but sometimes my contacts will start getting super blurry and I can't see at all. Sometimes I'll put in my contacts and leave the house, and while I'm driving my contacts start blurring up so I'll have to pull over and take them out and put on my glasses. That's the only downside of this pill if you wear contacts.

December 10, 2011 11:43 PM