User Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen

Learn more about Ortho Tri-Cyclen.

Ortho Tri-Cyclen Rating Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 226 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen to treat Birth Control

"I first went on this pill when I was 20 years old. Everything seemed to be fine. Periods were lighter, no mood swings, no weight gain. Acne was so so. Skip ahead 2 years later and went on a trip and forgot to bring my birth control with me because I had my period at the time and the days just evaded me. So I waited until my next period to take it again. Once I got back on it, I had intense mood swings for no reason and tremendous weight gain that keeps continuing. I gained 30 pounds in 6 months since getting back on the pill. My eating habits haven't changed and I've actually been more active but pounds keep coming. It definitely effects sex drive because the month I was off it was high and then went low again after."

Meli57754 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 3, 2016

"I'm only three months into this pill, but so far it has been nothing but good for me. I do get headaches, but they do not interfere with my daily activites so I don't mind. I've also had some breakouts but normally near my period, which is usual for me even off the pill. No weight gain yet, normal moods, I haven't missed a pill yet. My first period was really browny and black in the beginning and a light orange at the end. I'm not sure if that is normal, but who knows. Also, some vaginal discharge but not enough to bug me. Overall, its working great!"

ABROOK102O0E December 24, 2015

"I've been on Ortho Tri-Cyclen for about 3/4 months now and the biggest positive for me was that it cleared my hormonal chin acne. Lately I've really felt the mood swings though, I'm usually a very happy person but lately I've been feeling very blah and I feel like I can't concentrate. Sex drive is also a little blah. Weight is about the same too."

Mrrr (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 19, 2015

"I rated this birth control a 10, ONLY because I have not gotten pregnant and my face is always clear. Unfortunately I gained 26 pounds (I was 100lb when I first started, but not complaining) I had major mood swings, I cried at anything and everything, it gave me depression, I had irrational thoughts (totally not the kind of person I am) and also recurring yeast infections along with a very LOW sex drive. Very effective as a contraceptive, but avoid this pill if you have a history with depression."

SmellyCat96 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 12, 2015

"I take this for birth control & Acne. I've been on this pill going on 2 years. I'm 35 & used to take this pill in my early 20's as well. It's has always helped with my acne. I rarely get breakouts like before. I had an IUD for years too, but didn't like the spotting always at the wrong time. So I went back on the pill. My skin has never felt and looked this good. However, I am also dealing with the random spurts of depression and lack of sex drive. That really sucks. I do feel moodier than normal. My boyfriend has also noticed the change. I stay on it because it does it's job. Just got to deal with the side effects."

Adri808 December 10, 2015

"I was on alesse for the last 2.5 years - my cramps calmed down quite a bit but I was still spotting (but without BC I would have 7 day periods and terrible cramps, I also have fibroids). My doctor suggested that I change pills since I should have stopped spotting and put me on tricyclean. I was on this pill for two months and although I did not have spotting, I noticed that it caused major mood swings, depression, weight gain (10 pounds), tenderness in breast, and my skin has changed (occasional pimple and normal skin, I started to have red bumps, pimples and oily). I've decided to stop using this pill as it is not for me. My doctor has suggested I go on this new pill called "LOLO" by actavis. I can't find much on it and will prob not use it."

Terrible experience November 15, 2015

"If you get pregnant on this , you messed up real bad ! Even if you miss the time you would usually take it , still take it and get back on track you should be fine plus light and pain free periods. The side effects are horrible tho ! I got sooooo moody & emotional over everything. My bf and I always argued because I was so fussy so we had less and less sex . :/"

Naenay (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 10, 2015

"I'm 18 years old, my period was irregular and I'm sexually active, so i decided to start the pill. I just started this birth control (first bc ever tried), the first 3 days when i was on this bc i got the worst headaches. Then I started to feel depressed and was tired all the time. Within the first week of taking the pill, I got my period, and I got the worst cramps ever - more worse than before i was using any contraceptive; tingling/numbness in legs, severe cramps, nausea. But now i don't feel depressed anymore and I don't get terrible headaches. My breasts feel a little fuller than normal-"normal" as in before I started using any contraceptive. I'm on my second week of taking the pill, so we'll see how it goes."

jenny101 (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2015

"I am 20 years old and started taking Ortho Tri-Cyclen when I was 17. I have always been thin, and at the time of taking the pill I was 5'8 130 pounds. My entire life I have been active and very in to healthy eating. A couple months in to Ortho Tri-Cyclen I noticed that I had been gaining weight, around 7-10 pounds even though my diet and excercise routine had not changed AT ALL. This caused me to workout even harder and clean up my diet even more, however the weight continued to pile on. I graduated high school and went off to college already 15 pounds heavier than I had been in highschool. I promised myself that I would lose the weight by Christmas break of my freshman fall semester. This did NOT happen. "

Leanne8899 October 20, 2015

"I developed a breast lump while on this pill! It turned out not to be cancer, but it was still scary. I also had lots of breast pain and tenderness. When I switched to a different brand of birth control, all the breast problems stopped. I also gained 10 lbs while on the pill"

e199458 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 13, 2015

"Have had spotting for 2 months. My lower back hurts often from cramping....My breasts are tender and feel hard and I am feeling a lot more emotional (I cry a lot now) I feel fatigued all of the time and I don't know if it's from this medication or stress. I am hoping my unpleasant symptoms go away after a few more months of taking it.... the bright side... this medication made my very small breasts larger !"

Random person writing a review (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 10, 2015

"Didn't trigger my regular migraines, great birth control to start on and it's effective! Lo made me breakthrough bleed so I started on regular 28 cycle and no problems, until I went off of it. I started birth control at 115 pounds and ended it at 132 pounds. Though I am petite, it's not a huge weight gain nor is it noticeable. My acne and oily skin came back, and I am very irritable(PMS). Cramping on my period is very painful so I'll be going back on birth control, this time trying Seasonique."

Melissaamber September 29, 2015

"At first I was quite terrified to start trip-cyclen based off of these reviews, however, my Doctor thought it would be a good fit for me. First of all, this birth control does as it promises-- no babies have been conceived! It seems that many users complain of weight gain, I have actually experienced weight loss. Starting tri-cyclen I weighed 148Pounds, currently I am 143. I have not experienced bloating, nausea or abdominal discomfort either.Tri-cyclen helped to make my periods lighter and relieve my cramps associated with my period which has been great. I have noticed that I receive more headaches than usual which I am associating with this medication, this is why this birth control is receiving a 9/10 for me. otherwise Love it so far"

Sarahbear90 September 28, 2015

"I've been taking orthocyclen for about 2-3 years now, and I pretty much gained like 20 pounds. I gained about 10 pounds the first time I took it. And I decided to get off of it for awhile, then I went back on it and gained 10 more pounds. I've pretty much been eating the same since even before I got on birth control. I feel like that's the only problem I have... Gaining weight. I'm currently 150 pounds now. Before I started taking birth control, I would NOT get my period every month, but since I started taking it, I've been getting them every month. I'm gonna stop taking these pills because my doctor recommended taking Lutera instead for a female my age (17)."

LunaKat (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 22, 2015

"I've been on this pill for 6 months, I have lost my sex drive, my cramps are worse then normal, my period last a full week, and I have worse acne then normal. I am changing my b/c at my next doctors visit!"

Pained23 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 24, 2015

"Best birth control!!! I have been on it for about a year and a half if not longer have no complaints I got on this because the depo shot was defiantly not working for me. Definitely glad I switched over - no random mood swings, cleared all acne within a month, no weight gain, over all it the best birth control I've been on"

Jaisjjqhe (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 25, 2015

"I took this for 3 yrs and 6 months everything has been great for me, no gain weigth, no loss of appettite, basically the same on weight, but the only thing that changed was my sex drive, I dont feel the same its low sex drive, very dry down there. but other than that it worked good for me, have to change because of recent high blood preassure."

elimm (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 18, 2015

"I took Ortho Tricyclen for just over 5 years. Initially I noticed a lot of mood instability and I was behaving in ways that were very unusual for me. However this subsided within the first six months. Otherwise I had a relatively good experience, and my periods became so light that they almost stopped. However I was not doing well remembering to take the pills and recently switched to Mirena. Tricyclen is a great option if you are able to remember the pills on time!"

soonin July 12, 2015

"Cons: Experienced a significant increase in appetite, which led to lots of weight gain (I went from 115 lbs to 125 lbs after 6 months of use). I felt bloated all the time and I felt like I looked 4 months pregnant. Also, I had no sex drive at all. Breast tenderness/pain was a problem too Pros: I didn't get pregnant, my mood was pretty stable, my skin was clear, and periods were pretty light."

elh594 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 22, 2015

"This birth control regulated my period, made my skin look great and made my boobs grow. It made me very hungry all the time and my sex drive went shooting up. good stuff"

hantahjdtgstedrfyfhg (taken for less than 1 month) June 22, 2015

"I was on this for a couple years before and I loved it. It regulated my period and cleared my acne and I don't remember having any side effects then. I'm starting it again after a year break and I immediately noticed this awful nausea even though I take it at night I'll still wake up sick. Helps if taken with food. I've only been on it for a couple of days so as I get used to the medicine the nausea will (hopefully) go away."

Samosas jab (taken for less than 1 month) May 28, 2015

"I went on this for 2 months to see if it would offset the breakthrough bleeding I had on ortho tri lo. I lost weight because this pill caused me to have terrible diahrrea. It was so bad it continued after I was off of it for 6 months. I had to see a GI dr because I thought I had IBS. This pill caused me to be nauseous, have acid reflux and zapped my sex drive. It caused vaginal dryness too. I would also get terrible migraines and I NEVER get migraines or headaches. I ended up going off of it because my body couldn't handle the side effects. Made me slightly melancholy and tired too. It did prevent pregnancy and no spotting. I also had a decreased appetite and weight loss so it wasn't the worst."

Meowmers (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 28, 2015

"So thankful this was the first pill my Doc recommended. Absolutely amazing pill! My main concern was weight gain by starting b/c... But I've actually lost 10 pounds since being on this pill. My skin has cleared up. Periods last 3-4 days very light. No cramps. ONLY issue was the first 3 months I kept experiencing a few yeast infections... But that issue stopped as soon as I started taking a daily probiotic. I will admit sometimes I am moody & emotional but I don't know if I can blame the pill entirely lol. My appitite is up & down at times but honestly that's all about self-control. So overall I'm so happy with this pill and I plan on staying on it until I'm ready for kiddies"

Rose Itsa (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 18, 2015

"This Is An Amazing Birth Control. I've Been On This For Five Years And Counting. I Never Got Pregnant, My Menstrual Last About 3-4 Days(Regular Period ) ,No Cramps, Face Is Clear Of Acne, From Time To Time Ive Gotten Moody But Overall I Love It! I'm Looking Forward To Getting Off And Starting A Family."

RubyBaby February 17, 2015

"I've been on this pill for the past 8 years. I absolutely love it! After having tried 2 different types of birth control pills before I found this one. This is the one for me, it cleared up my acne within a month of taking it, I've had no weight gain or weight loss, no headaches. Normal cramps and a shorter period (4-5 days)."

INSANExANGEL January 5, 2015