User Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen

Learn more about Ortho Tri-Cyclen.

Ortho Tri-Cyclen Rating Summary

6.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 233 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen to treat Birth Control

"I was prescribed this as my first ever birth control, because I had horrible 14 day long periods. It got to the point where i'd end up dizzy & hyperventilating. So my doc gave me this, so far everything has been normal except my boobs don't feel the same. I've only been on the pill for about three weeks but my bras are all too tight now and the girls feel super heavy. Coming from a 16 year old who's had B cup for a while, this was a surprise. I haven't had any mood swings out of the regular and my acne is nonexistent."

Ash334 April 22, 2016

"This birth control had given me side effects from the start, moodiness, weight gain( ten pounds), headaches, nausea, it did clear my skin which is what I went on it for however 8 months into taking it I was admitted into the hospital with bi lateral blood clots in my lungs. I understand this may just be specific to my case but just because it is a lo estrogen birthcontrol does not mean clots can not happen. Please be aware and if risk of clotting runs in your family or you are at all concerned please talk with your doctor before you take this pill."

Kathleen Rivera March 28, 2016

"Only been 3 months on the Lo but I've definitely seen some changes. Yes it has allowed me to be more regular in my cycle and my cramps are lessened+flow is lighter, which is what I originally had asked for from my first bc and what I received and why I gave a 6/10. However, the side effects are so rough :/ I'm already an emotional trainwreck of a teenager with psychotic depression bpd and avpd and this bc seems to put all my emotions in a bottle of soda and shake until I break down. In addition, I've had a a much larger appetite since starting and have gained 20 pounds since I began taking it, and I've had a lot more migraines and dizzy spells (I'm a mess). Overall, I don't really like, and will most likely switch to a new bc asap"

DisappointmentUser (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 24, 2016

"Well I had a terrible experience on this birthcontrol. I won't say it's a terrible birth control because I know everyone is different. But starting off I experienced mild nausea and mood swings. I was much more snippy then usual and irritable. After the first week I started getting a few deep cystic pimples, one along my jaw and another on my chin. The worst part was my first menstrual cycle, it was excruciating strong cramps like someone stabbed me, radiating to my legs and stomach. I couldn't walk. LARGE clots, I ran thru super plus tampons every hour. I became so anemic I was advised to go to the ER by my PCP. But over all, I didn't get pregnant? Wasn't worth it to me. I stopped after two months I couldn't adjust to this pill."

Heathercheddar March 22, 2016

"Just some of my background so some of you can relate: I'm 115lbs, 23 years old, in my third month of taking Try Cyclen which is the first BC I ever went on. So far thank God no pregnancies, although increased amount of discharge and I got a vaginal infection which I never had before and that was strange. At first I gained weight and my breasts went up a size which was great but now I'm back to loosing a lot of weight. Yes mood swings have increased but I was always emotional and thought of myself as someone with depression lol so you guys really have to be careful about what is really considered to be called depression. Periods have stayed the same, just a little bit more regulated which is also a plus. So far no drastic changes."

lingling922 March 15, 2016

"Definitely does its job. light and manageable periods that last 5-6 days. skin has never been so clear. About 4 pounds of weight gain which is no problem. But, I am MOODY. I have always been a happy person and this pill causes you to snap easily and cry easily. Still rating a 10 because it does its job and other than mood swings I have no complaints"

nichole26 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 1, 2016

"Protected against pregnancy but horrible side effects. Crying for no reason, migraines and temporary blindness!"

Gggggggggggg February 24, 2016

"This was the first brand of oral birth control I tried. Within an hour of taking it, I experienced awful pains in my uterus and spine. It was my normal period pains x100. I also became so nauseous and sick because of it that I had to take time out."

Kam180 February 19, 2016

"I am 25 years old and have been taking this for over 2 years now. 2 years ago I was 145 lbs and now I am 165 and miserable. My husband and I have been dieting and exercising for the past year and half and I have only gained weight, never lost. I finally went to my doctor with the following symptoms: tired all the time even with 10 hours of sleep, mood swing (which effect my relationship), depression, sadness (for no reason), crying out of no where, weight gain and inability to loose weight, bad skin. All of those symptoms are also what people with Thyroid issues have. Well I get my thyroid tested this past week and its normal. I read these reviews and bam! I am getting off this immediately and I am really upset I did not read these sooner."

Stefanie423 February 18, 2016

"I was hospitalized within the first 3 weeks of taking Tricyclen as I had a severe side effect. It created excess spinal fluid in my body causing pressure on my brain. This required two lumbar punctures to help drain my spinal fluid following by a week of being bedridden. Please please please talk to your doctor before taking this. I have never had a problem like this with BC before until I got put on Tricyclen and threw the rest of them out."

JamieG1234 (taken for less than 1 month) February 12, 2016

"I am 18 and have been on tri-cyclen since I was 16. The first 3 months of taking the pill were rough, I was always tired, gained a little weight, and had mood swings. HOWEVER, as it says on the pill pack instructions and through personal experience, as you continue to take it, all of the symptoms go away. I am back to my normal weight (I am 5'2" 108 pounds), not tired anymore, have 100% clear skin, and extremely short, painless periods. I have even forgot to take a pill and it never failed to work, making these great for girls who are just starting birth control. These are low dose so weight gain is NOT a symptom!!! Most of the negative reviews are from women (who are advised not to take oral contraceptives, 35 years old)"

Lynn23997 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 11, 2016

"I first went on this pill when I was 20 years old. Everything seemed to be fine. Periods were lighter, no mood swings, no weight gain. Acne was so so. Skip ahead 2 years later and went on a trip and forgot to bring my birth control with me because I had my period at the time and the days just evaded me. So I waited until my next period to take it again. Once I got back on it, I had intense mood swings for no reason and tremendous weight gain that keeps continuing. I gained 30 pounds in 6 months since getting back on the pill. My eating habits haven't changed and I've actually been more active but pounds keep coming. It definitely effects sex drive because the month I was off it was high and then went low again after."

Meli57754 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 3, 2016

"I'm only three months into this pill, but so far it has been nothing but good for me. I do get headaches, but they do not interfere with my daily activites so I don't mind. I've also had some breakouts but normally near my period, which is usual for me even off the pill. No weight gain yet, normal moods, I haven't missed a pill yet. My first period was really browny and black in the beginning and a light orange at the end. I'm not sure if that is normal, but who knows. Also, some vaginal discharge but not enough to bug me. Overall, its working great!"

ABROOK102O0E December 24, 2015

"I've been on Ortho Tri-Cyclen for about 3/4 months now and the biggest positive for me was that it cleared my hormonal chin acne. Lately I've really felt the mood swings though, I'm usually a very happy person but lately I've been feeling very blah and I feel like I can't concentrate. Sex drive is also a little blah. Weight is about the same too."

Mrrr (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 19, 2015

"I rated this birth control a 10, ONLY because I have not gotten pregnant and my face is always clear. Unfortunately I gained 26 pounds (I was 100lb when I first started, but not complaining) I had major mood swings, I cried at anything and everything, it gave me depression, I had irrational thoughts (totally not the kind of person I am) and also recurring yeast infections along with a very LOW sex drive. Very effective as a contraceptive, but avoid this pill if you have a history with depression."

SmellyCat96 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 12, 2015

"I take this for birth control & Acne. I've been on this pill going on 2 years. I'm 35 & used to take this pill in my early 20's as well. It's has always helped with my acne. I rarely get breakouts like before. I had an IUD for years too, but didn't like the spotting always at the wrong time. So I went back on the pill. My skin has never felt and looked this good. However, I am also dealing with the random spurts of depression and lack of sex drive. That really sucks. I do feel moodier than normal. My boyfriend has also noticed the change. I stay on it because it does it's job. Just got to deal with the side effects."

Adri808 December 10, 2015

"I was on alesse for the last 2.5 years - my cramps calmed down quite a bit but I was still spotting (but without BC I would have 7 day periods and terrible cramps, I also have fibroids). My doctor suggested that I change pills since I should have stopped spotting and put me on tricyclean. I was on this pill for two months and although I did not have spotting, I noticed that it caused major mood swings, depression, weight gain (10 pounds), tenderness in breast, and my skin has changed (occasional pimple and normal skin, I started to have red bumps, pimples and oily). I've decided to stop using this pill as it is not for me. My doctor has suggested I go on this new pill called "LOLO" by actavis. I can't find much on it and will prob not use it."

Terrible experience November 15, 2015

"If you get pregnant on this , you messed up real bad ! Even if you miss the time you would usually take it , still take it and get back on track you should be fine plus light and pain free periods. The side effects are horrible tho ! I got sooooo moody & emotional over everything. My bf and I always argued because I was so fussy so we had less and less sex . :/"

Naenay (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 10, 2015

"I'm 18 years old, my period was irregular and I'm sexually active, so i decided to start the pill. I just started this birth control (first bc ever tried), the first 3 days when i was on this bc i got the worst headaches. Then I started to feel depressed and was tired all the time. Within the first week of taking the pill, I got my period, and I got the worst cramps ever - more worse than before i was using any contraceptive; tingling/numbness in legs, severe cramps, nausea. But now i don't feel depressed anymore and I don't get terrible headaches. My breasts feel a little fuller than normal-"normal" as in before I started using any contraceptive. I'm on my second week of taking the pill, so we'll see how it goes."

jenny101 (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2015

"I am 20 years old and started taking Ortho Tri-Cyclen when I was 17. I have always been thin, and at the time of taking the pill I was 5'8 130 pounds. My entire life I have been active and very in to healthy eating. A couple months in to Ortho Tri-Cyclen I noticed that I had been gaining weight, around 7-10 pounds even though my diet and excercise routine had not changed AT ALL. This caused me to workout even harder and clean up my diet even more, however the weight continued to pile on. I graduated high school and went off to college already 15 pounds heavier than I had been in highschool. I promised myself that I would lose the weight by Christmas break of my freshman fall semester. This did NOT happen. "

Leanne8899 October 20, 2015

"I developed a breast lump while on this pill! It turned out not to be cancer, but it was still scary. I also had lots of breast pain and tenderness. When I switched to a different brand of birth control, all the breast problems stopped. I also gained 10 lbs while on the pill"

e199458 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 13, 2015

"Have had spotting for 2 months. My lower back hurts often from cramping....My breasts are tender and feel hard and I am feeling a lot more emotional (I cry a lot now) I feel fatigued all of the time and I don't know if it's from this medication or stress. I am hoping my unpleasant symptoms go away after a few more months of taking it.... the bright side... this medication made my very small breasts larger !"

Random person writing a review (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 10, 2015

"Didn't trigger my regular migraines, great birth control to start on and it's effective! Lo made me breakthrough bleed so I started on regular 28 cycle and no problems, until I went off of it. I started birth control at 115 pounds and ended it at 132 pounds. Though I am petite, it's not a huge weight gain nor is it noticeable. My acne and oily skin came back, and I am very irritable(PMS). Cramping on my period is very painful so I'll be going back on birth control, this time trying Seasonique."

Melissaamber September 29, 2015

"At first I was quite terrified to start trip-cyclen based off of these reviews, however, my Doctor thought it would be a good fit for me. First of all, this birth control does as it promises-- no babies have been conceived! It seems that many users complain of weight gain, I have actually experienced weight loss. Starting tri-cyclen I weighed 148Pounds, currently I am 143. I have not experienced bloating, nausea or abdominal discomfort either.Tri-cyclen helped to make my periods lighter and relieve my cramps associated with my period which has been great. I have noticed that I receive more headaches than usual which I am associating with this medication, this is why this birth control is receiving a 9/10 for me. otherwise Love it so far"

Sarahbear90 September 28, 2015

"I've been taking orthocyclen for about 2-3 years now, and I pretty much gained like 20 pounds. I gained about 10 pounds the first time I took it. And I decided to get off of it for awhile, then I went back on it and gained 10 more pounds. I've pretty much been eating the same since even before I got on birth control. I feel like that's the only problem I have... Gaining weight. I'm currently 150 pounds now. Before I started taking birth control, I would NOT get my period every month, but since I started taking it, I've been getting them every month. I'm gonna stop taking these pills because my doctor recommended taking Lutera instead for a female my age (17)."

LunaKat (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 22, 2015