User Reviews for Yaz

Learn more about Yaz.

Yaz Review Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 188 medications used in the treatment of Menstrual Disorders.

Reviews for Yaz to treat Menstrual Disorders

"I have been on Yaz for about 4 months now. I started taking it to regulate my periods, as they were very heavy and irregular. Yaz helped 100% with that issue. Now I know when my period will arrive and it only lasts about 4 days. Yaz has also cleared up my acne. Before taking it I had fairly severe acne (for a 36 year old) and since taking Yaz I don't have severe breakouts, just one or two pimples here and there. If I had to list my negative experiences since taking Yaz it would be my irritability. Small things annoy me...like my husband chewing his cereal. It's not bad enough that I go into a rage or anything, but it can be annoying. Also, the outside edges of my breasts are sore. Feels like when I was nursing! So far, a positive experience"

safford5 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 17, 2015

"I've been on Yaz for three months. I started taking it because I told my doctor that I had really bad moodiness during PMS. Ha, it's gotten worse! I don't start my period till the last day of inactive pills. My cramps feel like I'm 15 again (I'm 36) and my mood swings have worsened. Barely any sex drive. I'm going back to Ortho-Tricyclen (Trinessa)."

CJ1321 July 25, 2015

"I started Yaz a few months ago and so far the results are unimpressive. Primarily I went on the pill the regulate my extremely heavy and long periods as a bonus I was using it as a contraceptive. Contraceptive wise it was a dream, but it did absolutely nothing for my periods, the pain was still there and instead of being 8 days they are now 10 or 11. I also got horrible mood swings, and I suffer from depression so I really didn't think I would get any 'lower' but on this pill I really have. My emotions are just all over the place. If you are going to go on this pill I would definitely do proper research. I have decided to stop taking it."

lpet76 June 11, 2015

"My dermatologist recommended Yaz for my acne. However I also have horrible menstrual cycles and let me tell you, you cannot go wrong with Yaz. I hardly felt any pain. My acne was basically gone also. Now all I have is some dark spots here and there"

starshanelle (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 12, 2015

"I have been on Yaz for 2 and a half years and it's been the best form of contraceptive medication for me. I have tried other contraceptive pills and have had all kinds of bad side effects, but once I started Yaz I was fine. Originally I started using it as a form of contraception, I still do but it has also helped with my severe menstrual cramps and endometriosis. I can have my period every 3 months without a problem and I haven't experienced any side effects, pregnancy scares, bloating or acne on it so overall it's been great. "

coppola22 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 4, 2014

"I am 16 years old and have been taking Yaz for four months now to lighten my period and help with PMS. It has really helped me. It took my body the first few months to get used to it (I had mild breakouts, mood swings, tender breasts and little if no change in period flow or PMS), but after about two months it has worked quite well. My periods are lighter, I rarely get cramps and when I do they are very mild and it has also made my skin softer and clearer. I don't get as moody or as emotional either. I would say the only down fall is that I crave food a lot, but that might have nothing to do with Yaz, and besides I don't think my weight has changed more than a pound. Good experience so far."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 3, 2012

"I started taking Yaz in 2007 due to extremely long periods. I was not sexually active when I first started taking Yaz. After about a year, I was switched to Ocella, but it was still basically the same thing. I Ocella for just under 5 years. I stopped taking it one month ago. I had ZERO sex drive, very poor natural lubrication, and cramps that had me doubled over every few months. I never really got pimples, so that's a plus. But I still had longer periods than I would have liked. "

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 29, 2012

"Not a lot of side effects compared to other birth controls I have been on. Breasts have gotten quite big and heavy, not a fan of this but the boyfriend is. I'm starting month 3 and last period came a day after stopped taking active pills, first month on it didn't start until I started active pills again so my body is adjusting well. All in all its the best pill I have taken. I much prefer the copper IUD but have a bicornuate uterus so cannot use IUD. "

Anonymous January 2, 2012

"For years I never had a regular period. Sometimes they would even be 6 months apart. With a busy lifestyle it is extremely hard to prepare for periods when it is unpredictable when they will be. With Yaz I have an idea of when I get them, usually exactly a month apart. It also helps my acne and I have not gained any weight. For anyone with irregular periods use this product it helps so much and you won't regret it."

Anonymous December 18, 2011

"I had the worst experience on Yaz! I did not gain a pound the entire time I was on the pill, but I had other horrible side effects. I would "spot" all month long a very thick, black discharge. This discharge literally ruined my sex life. I was too nervous to have sex, and on the occasion I did have sex and my boyfriend noticed the black discharge, he no longer could perform either. Also, my periods lasted on average 10 days and was very heavy all 10 days. "

Anonymous September 14, 2011

"My doctor recommended Yaz to me because of my PMS, cramps, and extremely irregular cycles. (I've been checked for lumps. There were none). For me, it is working okay as I only took 2 Midols this cycle! The side effects I have are increased sex drive, slightly bigger breasts, increased appetite, and dryness in my eyes. As a student, I find the pills a little bit too pricey, but overall I would recommend it. Except the dryness in my eyes are bad at night (contact wear-er)."

cc_cc July 10, 2011

"Before I started using Yaz I was very scared because of all the bad things people had said. After finishing my first pack of Yaz and I noticed a lot of spotting and some odd bleeding now and then. I am 16 years old and had been switching pills for a while now because none of them seemed to suit me. I use Yaz for period pains ONLY and have noticed a huge improvement in my cramps, there still is some mild cramps but not near as bad as they were before. Already my breasts have gotten bigger which I don't really mind because I was near the smallest bra size you can get. My mood is completely fine. My skin has never been Acne prone but it hasn't broke out at all. I haven't noticed any side effects. I love this pill."

JennaRub June 7, 2011

"I have been taking Yaz for 4 years, due to irregular cycle related to ovarian cysts. I am pleased that my periods are shorter and there is absolutely no cramping. It has helped alleviate hormonal migraines and my skin has never been more clear. Prior to birth control, my cycle was completely irregular, such as skipping months altogether, and it was frustrating being so unpredictable. Now, I know exactly when my period is coming. The only negatives: I did gain a little weight and it is expensive since I don't have insurance."

Anonymous March 12, 2011

"Yaz has been the greatest medicine ever. A few years ago before I went on the pill, I would get terribly sick. I went through crazy tests, MRIs, then finally my mom recommended to go to the gynecologist. She put me on Yaz and ever since then my periods are so light and only one day, I have no acne whatsoever, no mood swings, barely any cramps and I no longer get extremely sick. I love Yaz and will never take anything else."

Anonymous January 27, 2011

"I got on Yaz because my doctor says it helps with premenstrual syndrome, plus I've always had terrible heavy periods. It has cut them down significantly and helps with the premenstrual symptoms. My spouse also claims it makes me less crappy at the PMS time. No bad side effects other than a hormone headache, but I used to get that anyway. The timeframe just changed."

Uzuh August 25, 2010

"Yaz completely changed my life for good. I've suffered from PMDD for many years; to the point that I felt had no life because of mood swings, cramps, migraines, bloating and terrible anxiety. I've been taking Yaz for a month now and I just experienced my first period on it, 3 light days vs. 7 days (2 extremely heavy days). I have mild cramps still. I really love Yaz, it also has improved my sex drive!"

Anonymous July 6, 2010

"At one point during the 5 months that I was taking these pills, I came across tightness of my chest which gave me difficulty breathing and I felt as though I was suffocating. I never had acne, once I quit the pills, I suffered, and am still suffering, from severe acne. I refuse to go back on the pill, but I also don't know what to do about this acne problem now. I stopped taking the pills in January and have had bad acne since. No problems breathing, though."

Micks July 2, 2010

"As we know not all birth controls work for all people the same. This being said, for me Yaz was the worst birth control. I experienced frequent bleeding, very decreased sex drive, dryness,and severe migraines. Happy to say after 5 months I have switched off of it. The only good thing was it was very effective if used only for birth control. Wish me luck with the next one."

Anonymous June 7, 2010

"I have been taking this medication for three years and I love it. My periods became lighter after a few months. I also no longer had severe mood swings every month. It has made a huge difference in my life. The only negative side effect I noticed was mild water retention and slight weight gain 2-3 lbs."

Anonymous March 3, 2010

"I loved almost everything about Yaz. My heavy, 7-day periods turned into light 3-4 day ones. Skin cleared up, and the reason I took it was to get rid of my horrible cramps - which it did a fantastic job of. Unfortunately, it affected my sex drive and I felt my personality clouded over. I decided I'd rather feel like myself and try my best to deal with cramps and heavy days without medicines."

Anonymous January 29, 2010

"I was on Yaz for 8 months. My periods were lighter, shorter, and I had minimal spotting. I had cramps that only lasted for 30 min or so. I did experienced side effects though such as my boobs felt full and swollen. I gained some weight, had cravings for big meals, and became emotional at random times. Towards the end I experienced sharp pains in my boobs which resulted in finding benign cysts. A month after I got off of it I lost 10 lbs but had to get my gallbladder removed for stones & gallbladder disease. "

Anonymous January 20, 2010

"I do not tolerate birth control pills as a general rule and I found Yaz extremely tolerable. I didn't have any side effects on it to start with it helped my heavy menstrual bleeding and as an added bonus my skin was much clearer. I was only on it a short time, however, because it did cause an increase in the severity and frequency of my migraines. I had the worst complex migraine I have ever had while on this medication. I would recommend it for the most part, but maybe not for migraine sufferers."

Anonymous January 7, 2010

"I was put on Yaz because I was having irregular menstrual cycles. I just finished my first pack. The entire month I have had nausea, vomiting, acne and horrible cramps. I think that I would rather have my period for 20 days each month rather than take this pill."

Anonymous November 30, 2009

"I have only taken Yaz for 1 month. I was having really irregular periods and so my doctor put me on Yaz because I had liked Yasmin in the past. My period that had lasted for three months nonstop ended immediately when I started Yaz, so I was excited. But, I began cramping everyday, for the entire month. For the first three weeks I had bad attitude and was depressed. I started breaking out, and I became very tired all the time. After reading some reviews of other women I decided to call my doctor to see if things were norm. He decided to switch me to a different brand. Use with caution and talk with your doctor if you begin to notice these same things."

mhitchner October 10, 2009

"My daughter had severe PMDD. She is 13. At first I was hesitant about putting my 13 yr old daughter on birth control because of the social stigma that she may be considered "easy" or sexually active because she is on Birth Control. Yet, she and I talked about it and she is a very level headed conservative girl who needed help and wanted to try. This medicine has been God send for her and her PMDD. He periods are lighter, not as lengthy and there is minimal pain associated with her periods now. Not to mention her mood and anxiety levels have both improved more than I can mention. This medicine has made her feel "normal" again!"

Cherry13 October 1, 2009