User Reviews for Yaz

Learn more about Yaz.

Yaz Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 462 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Yaz to treat Acne

"I've been on Yaz for about 4 months now. I tried the generic Gianvi but it was seriously like taking rage pills, so now I'm using the brand name even though insurance doesn't cover it. I started taking Yaz to help with my skin because I was breaking out really bad. I noticed a significant difference in my skin within the first month and now my skin is completely clear with the exception of the occasional bump or two around my period. I get the typical mood swings around my period but nothing too crazy. I have noticed I feel a little more anxious since I've started taking it but it isn't extreme. My boobs are much more full now, which I like, but I have gained a little weight (about 3-5 pounds) which has proven hard to get rid of it."

SlpKB January 20, 2016

"Hello I'm 21 years of age I've had combination moderate acne since I was 13 years old, every cosmetic face wash or doctor prescriptions like antibiotics all never worked but in fact made it worse. I then got told about Yaz so I decided to give it a shot, 2 months in now and my face is more clearer than its ever been in my life! but just have a couple pimples left on my neck which should disappear... I haven't even been eating healthy either have had lots of chocolate and maccas the last few weeks which is a bonus lol but I would still recommend to drink lots of water and excercise at least 30mins every second day at the very least. I've also stopped using face washes and moisturisers all together. Hope this helps "

AnnalieseAnderson January 11, 2016

" Yaz ruined my face"

Anonymous January 5, 2016

"I've been on Yaz for a year and a half. This pill for real ruined my skin. I have acne scars that will never go away. I hate it. I wish in the early months when it was ruining my skin that I had decided to stop taking it. Instead I read the reviews and thought if I just give it enough time things will improve. They didn't and now I'm stuck on the pill that's still giving me acne (albeit not as bad as before) too scared to stop. I feel like I'm being held hostage by Yaz. It also gives me my period two weeks out of the month. Worst decision of my life. I've never posted on something like this before – but the experience was so awful I thought I had to warn others. My advice is to listen to your body and if it's not working STOP!"

Melovett November 21, 2015

"This is the worst pill ever! It broke my entire face out. It made my acne sooooo much worst. I'm so upset with what has done to my face. I wish I didn't go on this pill at all seriously don't do it. It's so awful."

Essence92929 November 15, 2015

"I took Yaz when I started developing cystic acne whenever my period was close. It completely cleared up my face after 1 one month. For 1 year, I was symptom free, but afterwards started developing severe lethargy a week before my period. It would be so bad that I would just be walking around in a haze. I fell asleep in class, couldn't concentrate and worst of all, I couldn't drive in fear I'd crash. However, after my period started, this would go away. My breasts went from an A cup to a B cup as well. I eventually stopped taking Yaz due to the hazy PMS symptoms. My skin stayed clear until this very day. This pill changed my acne for the better for life. Couldn't be happier with the choice."

KristaAh November 10, 2015

"I am 20 years old. I've had moderate acne since I was 13. I've never had completely clear skin since that age. I needed to get on birth control and I was a bit nervous about the side effects. I chose Yaz because the claims said it would help clear acne. When I started my first pack my breast became sore and I was slightly nauseous. Nothing seemed to happen with my skin. By my second pack I started to break out, I wasn't sure if it was the birth control or just me. The nausea went away. By the fourth pack the breakout was at its worst. I was very frustrated and wanted to quit the birth control. But by the end of my fourth pack I noticed the acne was clearing. I am now on my fifth month with only a couple small pimples and my hopes are high!"

HollyDowney November 5, 2015

"I have been on Yaz for 7 months now to treat my chin acne. The first three months of taking Yaz, I had the worst cystic breakouts in places I have never gotten breakouts before. It was terrible but I wanted to give it some time. Now it has been 7 months and I still break out on my chin, there has been time maybe two weeks when I haven't gotten any breakouts at all but now it is the same thing as before. I also quit sugar and dairy and using all natural skin care products but still no dramatic improvement. Also, Yaz made me gain weight and I have noticed eyelash hair loss."

VanCity1 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 4, 2015

"I was initially on Yaz for about 6 years then stopped because I was getting migraines. The whole 6 years my skin was flawless. I quit taking it Jan 2015 and it is now Aug 2015. My skin is unbearable I don't even recognize myself. I got back on Gianvi (generic Yaz) and I'm hoping it will work again. I'm experiencing like 10-15 cysts at once and lowest self-esteem in my life. I can't tell if the birth control is going to help anytime soon. I am only on week 2 and losing hope."

bre23 August 20, 2015

"I'm on the 2nd week of my 2nd pack and so far I see little to no change in my acne, it's made me get minor menstrual cramps at times not even close to my period, but lightened up my period alot! I have some pretty intense mood swings, and a bit of nausea, probably going to switch since this isn't helping me and making me grumpy and depressed 24/7"

Abbycazz (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 26, 2015

"I have been using yaz for about 2 months now and it as made my acne so much worse. I never have cystic acne in my life and now I'm getting it all over my cheeks where I never use to have acne. My acne was mild before but now looks severe from all the red marks of healing old hyper pigmentation. I'm 15 and obessed with my skin, and can't look people in the eyes and go out. I'm so fed up and I'm going on accutane in 3 days. yaz may work for some people but I'm telling you it throws your hormones to wack no matter what in the first month. Only difference I have seen on yaz is my whiteheads are smaller but skin is a lot worse over all. wishing you best of luck for finding something that works for you!"

ashghacns June 2, 2015

"March 2014 I started breaking out so bad I cried. I didn't know why I was breaking out because I was clear for fives years on ortho tri cyclen. All of sudden I had huge painful acne all of my chin and above my lip. I tried everything and nothing worked. Decemeber 2014 I finally tried yaz. At first my acne got worse and I started losing hope. But I imediallty noticed that I had fewer cystic pimples. Now it is May and I finally have clear skin. I still have a few red marks from scars and I get tiny little pimples but no where near what I had before. This stuff is amazing and I finally feel confident again. It started to really work for me on month 4 so give it time and don't give up."

Michelle Kolodka May 31, 2015

"Checking back in from my previous post. I just started my 3rd week on my 3rd pack. First, I never write reviews and second I'm so mad it's taken me this long to try yaz. I can't believe how my skin looks! SO CLEAR! I had zero faith in this birth control,I've tried everything. 1month ago I was hiding in my room wanting to get off this stuff. The initial breakout was bad, definitely made it worse by picking at it. I don't remember the last time my face has looked this clear! This was my dermatologist last try before the dreaded accutane. The last 2 years has been filled with nasty chin/jaw breakouts. First time in 2 years I have no breakouts. THANK YOU MAKERS OF YAZ. Please please please give it 3-4 months before giving up."

KSUgirl (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 10, 2015

"Yaz was my best friend. I began the pill when I was 15 for irregular periods but I didn't expect it to clear my skin the way it did. It cleared my face, back, and chest. I mean I finally got compliments on my skin. I got pregnant a month after I stopped taking it and my skin was worse than ever. The only reason I'm giving it a 9 is because it didn't work for me after giving birth. It gave me migraines and the acne didn't clear up. However, I'm almost positive it was due to me not taking it religiously like I did in high school."

Julie from NC April 21, 2015

"I was prescribed Yaz but my doc told me to ask for the "generic brand" and so I did as directed. However I had only looked up reviews for Yaz but not for Vestura the generic brand. I settled and after getting home I did my research on Vestura. Now I realize birth controls will effect people differently and there are going to be great reviews and terrible ones but vestura only had terrible reviews. I took Vestura anyway and wow biggest mistake ever!!! DO NOT TAKE VESTURA! SPEND THE MONEY ON YAZ! Vestura made me have the worst mood swings, crying for hours about nothing, and then hyper the next minute. For the 3 weeks I have been on Yaz I have been 100% myself, even lost 6 pounds and skin clearing! Love it!!!"

KenzieH March 9, 2015

"I started Yaz about 3 months ago and like many of you, I have zero faith in it's ability to help my acne. I've had cystic acne for about 3 years and although it was never awful, I always had at least one or two unsightly blemishes. It took about 3 months to really work, and the first 3 weren't awful but they weren't great. If you have acne and are looking for relief, TRY YAZ! It's honestly amazing. Seriously. I've never posted anything before, I truly believe in this stuff."

screengirl7691 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 22, 2015

"Love this! I was a little discouraged at first because the magic number of 3 months didn't work for me. However when I hit 4 months all of my back acne was gone and my face had totally cleared up. I've never seen anything like it. I still get the odd zit and for individuals who react well with Yaz I find that acne can be caused by eating dairy products. I don't doubt if I cut milk and cheese out of my diet, as well as continued on the pill I would have 0 acne at all."

EmmaKnutsen January 12, 2015

"I wish this was around back when I was in high school! I have struggled with acne for my whole teen/adult life. I have taken Yaz on and off for 8 years now, and my skin never looks better than when I'm on Yaz. The doc took me off last year because I was getting headaches and she was concerned the estrogen in the Pill was causing it, but after a year on the mini pill with the same frequency of headaches and the added terribleness of deep cystic acne, I am happily back on Yaz and already seeing an improvement in my skin. Only complaint (mainly from my husband) is a slightly lowered sex drive."

andelicar January 9, 2015

"I suffered from pretty bad acne. Everyday I would wake up with lots of whiteheads even some blackheads too, my acne was also very red, over my nose, chin, cheek and forehead area. I took Yaz for three months and it does wonders to your skin, I no longer suffer with waking up with lots of whiteheads or blackheads and I have seen a change in my skin. I will continue to take Yaz to keep improving my skin!"

Anonymous December 22, 2014

"I've taken Yaz for 3 months now and it has cleared up 90% of my acne. All I have left are some tiny clogged pores which are clearing. I have adult acne and tried every OTC, prescription, and expensive creams, microdermabrasion etc and nothing worked. Previously intolerant to the pill, but on Yaz I'm calm, happy, no problems. Be warned, the first 6 weeks your face will look horrendous, worse than ever, but it gets so much better."

Bearbelle December 8, 2014

"I've been taking Yaz for three months for adult acne that was unresponsive to just about every skincare/formulation/medication/creams/makeup on the market. I had tried everything but the pill (Yaz) for several years due to becoming depressed/irritable on other contraceptive pills previously. This is the only thing that has worked! I'm so happy. The first 6 weeks made my skin much much worse but now, I'm clear for the first time in years. My breasts are fuller also which is a bonus."

Chebear (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 4, 2014

"I love Yaz! I was first put on it 2 years ago to help get rid of my acne and within the first 3 months my skin started clearing and have been acne free since. It did make me put on a little bit of weight but zero mood swings and no change to my sex drive. My periods have become a lot lighter and last shorter days (usually 3-4 days) I highly recommend this pill but the only downside is you do have to take it everyday"

happy customer November 27, 2014

"I am now on my 5th month of Yaz and I have zero acne, best decision I've ever made. I first started noticing a difference after the 2sd week, the acne I had started healing and I stopped breaking out (I use get at least one or two new pimples a week, and get a bunch around my period) after the first month I stopped getting acne all together and I only had some scars. By the second month my scar finally faded and now in my fifth month my skin is completely clear. Everyone is different but I would definitely recommend trying this!"

Anonymous November 26, 2014

"I am almost finished my first pack of Yaz, at first my acne seemed to be going away but now it's just getting worse. My cheeks are all red and splotchy, I have huge cystic breakouts on my chin. I have tried everything to make my acne go away, it's gotten to the point where I feel so depressed and it's all I think about. I'm hoping after a couple more weeks it will start to improve a bit because right now it is terrible!"

mollygirl1410 October 18, 2014

"I love Yaz. I suffer from adult acne and Yaz always heals it within 3 months of taking it. I love that my periods come at the same day every month and only last about 4 days. The other thing I love about it is it seems to level out my moods. I'm not so up and down like I would be without it. As far as its effectiveness for birth control, I have never gotten pregnant while on the pill which makes me and my husband very happy."

JMCO September 22, 2014