User Reviews for Yaz

Learn more about Yaz.

Yaz review summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 450 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Yaz to treat Acne

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I started taking Yaz because of my acne breakout and that's unusual because I'm already way past my teenage years. About a week after taking it, I've noticed that my breakouts has stopped. Though I still get 1 or 2 tiny reddish spots every week or so (Stress from being a Programmer), they heal after a day or two without applying any medication on it. Before the pills, I always get nasty breakouts and even a single pimple takes weeks to heal because it's always recurring. Today, my skin is on it's way to clearing up and I don't retouch my makeup often anymore because the oiliness has been diminished. I've also noticed that my breasts got heavier and are bigger than usual. But that's fine with me for as long as the pills won't make me fat.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 8, 2014 11:33 PM

Review by SDizzle (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I mainly got on Yaz for acne and I've been taking it for four months and have only seen a slight difference. I still break out really bad on my period and it just seems like an on going cycle. The good thing about this is my period is very regular and SUPER light which I love! and I also don't experience cramping anymore. I am hoping that my acne starts to go away soon though.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 9, 2014 12:17 PM

Review by testing it out (I'm back!):

I was the one who posted below under "testing it out." Last I was here I was nervous it wasn't going to work. WELL, let me tell you. Just hang in there for the first three months friends because your life is about to get better. Literally right after my third period of being on Yaz I noticed an immediate difference. Acne has drastically reduced to the point of it basically being non-existent. My skin is finally starting to heal with the help of a dark spot corrector and my confidence is through the roof. THANK YOU YAZ!

February 7, 2014 11:01 PM

Review by Nina77:

I have been on Yaz for hormonal acne for about 3 years now. Let me just say the first two years were awesome. No chin breakouts, less oily. Now for some reason it is no longer working. I am getting painful cysts again around my period. I thought it was temporary but I started noticing it in December and it is now September. I'm nervous to get off of it for fear it will be worse. It worked for me for some time but now I have to find something else.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 9, 2013 11:33 AM

Review by testing it out (taken for 1 to 6 months):

My doctor suggested I go on Yaz after a good 8 years of being on a previous pill and basically experiencing acne the entire time. Anyway, I've been on Yaz for a month. I'm glad I read reviews before because I probably would have given up and fully entered a hermit life if I didn't know that a major breakout the first month or two is normal. I have gotten acne in places I've never had before - along my jaw line, even on my neck. It's terrifying and I'm only hanging in there based on the people that swear by month 3 is gets better. However, I will say, I am happy with having experienced no other side effects. Weight has never been a problem for me, but I actually lost 5 pounds. Here's hoping that month 2 and 3 brings better luck!

August 8, 2013 9:42 AM

I was on Yaz for 4 years for acne and pretty much had no problems. I did not experience any weight gain at all. It may have made me moody on the angry side at times but I didn't find myself crying over nothing (I might have a short temper anyway). My acne did clear up but never completely, I have always still had a few pimples whilst on Yaz but I was happy with the level it was so I am not sure if it was Yaz or whether I only broke out due to stress in my final year of high school. Other than that it lightened my period and eliminated any cramps that sometimes were so bad I would vomit. I only stopped taking it because I was sick of taking it everyday and it may have decreased my libido. But everyone's different.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 3, 2013 8:06 AM

Review by poor me (before Yaz) - happy now! (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Gosh, I feel sorry for myself - tried everything, except (Ro)-accutane. Many thousands were spent without any success and many years went by just trying to HIDE this bad skin. The irony is that I have acne on my body, and less on my face. Yep, and excessive hair is just the icing of the cake! I have hormonal imbalances, thus knew that nothing topical would help for good. Nevertheless, was afraid to try birth control pills. Anyway, Yaz was invented quite recently. So, girls and women, if you have hormonal problems, Yaz is the best thing around. I can put WHATEVER on my skin now (like night creme), and my skin is perfect. No clogged pores, no inflammation, nothing. I can go outside without skin makeup, which was an impossible thing just two years ago.

July 21, 2013 12:57 AM

Review by kshyun (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I've been on yaz for over 6 months now, and it has been the only thing that cleared up my acne in the last 8 years. I had very severe cystic acne on my forehead, cheeks and chin (basically all over my face). After taking Yaz for 3 months, my acne started to clear up dramatically. I can now go out without wearing 5 pounds of makeup!

June 19, 2013 5:00 PM

Review by ata22 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

This is the first pill I have ever taken that is hormone related, and the main reason was for acne. Within the first week all my acne was gone, and never broke out for the year! But after a year, my acne started coming back, and I am now on Yasmin, I was hoping for the same flawless face effect, but I still break out tremendously, especially compared to when I was on Yaz. I'm going to get off Yasmin because the pill just it isn't helping with my acne anymore. However, I enjoyed that year of flawless skin! I didn't have to worry about applying a full face of makeup to leave the house for 5 minutes! Now I'm back to wearing makeup all the time! I hope I find something that works soon.

April 22, 2013 7:48 PM

Review by sasha1992:

I have had acne for 5 years. Tried everything, topicals, antibiotics, not doing anything, diet changes...nothing worked. I was so sad and desperate and felt so ugly all the time. Then I finally gave in and tried Yaz. Almost immediately acne improved. A year later I never breakout anymore! It's so amazing and now I'm so much more happier and confident. And my hyper-pigmentation is finally having a chance to fade out without new ones popping up I had no side effects at all. This has turned my life around but its still a medicine that may have side effects, but it's worked for me so may work for you as well.

April 8, 2013 6:49 AM

Review by Nat-Yaz (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Having been on Estelle-35 for nearly a year (which gave me the worst acne of my life, 10 x worse than it already was), I decided to change to Yaz. I'm in my third month of taking it and I think I've broken out (4-6 spots at the same time) twice, whereas before I was getting 4-6 new spots per day. No initial breakouts. Only had one cyst in nearly three months. The only side effect was my fault - I didn't wait until my period to start taking them and had breakthrough bleeding for around three weeks. I haven't experienced any weight gain, headaches etc. If you're deciding whether to try the pill for your acne, just do it. Seriously. It's done wonders for my confidence and anxiety, and I can actually look people in the eye now!

March 28, 2013 8:40 PM

Review by AZE (taken for less than 1 month):

Started Yaz a little over a week. I decided to go on for birth control reason, but also to help with what I think to be hormone related acne. I would get a few pimples here and there, sometimes some bad breakouts around my period but nothing too drastic. My skin was clear when I started the pack, but the very next day after taking the first pill I started to breakout. I got large, painful cysts on my left cheek and some smaller pimples on my chin. It started with just one but it seemed as though a new cyst was forming every day. I have been drinking as much water as possible, eating lots of fruits and veggies, no dairy, limited sugar, to try and help with the breakout. So far no improvement.

January 30, 2013 7:49 PM

I had terrible hormonal acne to where I got a new zit or cyst on a daily basis, I never wanted to leave the house and I could hardly interact with my boyfriend or friends. Yaz used to keep my skin clear then I stopped taking it because I was afraid of health risks, but my skin was so uncontrollable (even on a raw vegan diet, lots of water, yoga, etc.) that I really didn't care. The first month my cheeks broke out and I was worried if it would work again, but now, at month three I can eat chocolate all day wash my face whenever and I don't get more than a whitehead here or there that goes away in a day, and it's only getting better. Yay to yaz! Just give it time!

November 3, 2012 10:15 AM

Review by Suzbee30 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've been on Yaz for about 3 months and so far it has been great. I've suffered from acne since I was 12 (I'm 30 now) to the extent that it's really had a negative effect on my life but now it's almost all cleared up. I barely even need to wear makeup anymore. There has been no weight gain except for slightly bigger breasts and it's great knowing when my period is going to come. Previously it would come randomly. It also doesn't last as long, now only 4 or 5 days when before it could be 7 or 8.

September 26, 2012 7:28 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I'm very confused about my experience on Yaz. Had no initial breakout and my skin was improving up until about a month and half ago. There were minor breakouts every now and then though. Yet lately (after 7 and half months) my skin has been breaking out constantly. Big pimples mostly along my chin and jawline but few on my lip and cheeks too. I'm going to see my GP as soon as possible to see whether this is just a random flare up or whether Yaz is just not for me. I suppose it works differently for everyone.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 6, 2012 9:41 PM

I used to get breakouts on my chin area, and have rough skin on my cheeks and forehead with red blotches. My dermatologist recommended the Lady Soma Renewal Serum - WOW. This has totally changed my skin into even toned, soft and blemish free. It is way cheaper than other retinol creams, and works great. I highly recommend it - it only took like a week for me to notice a real change, and after a few weeks I am amazed.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 8, 2011 11:23 PM

I was on Yaz for 5 months. I'm normally a really upbeat happy person. It turned me into an absolute monster. Very angry, all the time. I noticed it about two weeks after taking it. The only good thing about it was that I experienced no hair loss, no weight gain.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 19, 2011 11:59 AM

Review by anna k:

I'm 25 and have been suffering from acne for more than 10 yrs. I tried many topical creams with hardly any results (Differin, tretinoin, etc). I had moderate acne, I would get large red painful pimples that stayed on my face for weeks and also very oily skin. Tried birth control Loestrin with no improvements. Then stronger topical creams- no avail. My dermatologist suggested Beyaz. As always I was willing to try anything. Within three weeks my face started clearing. Such a huge change! I've been on the pill now for 4 months and I want to sing! I do not get large red pus filled pimples anymore and my skin is no longer oily even with makeup on. I still have one or two zits usually, but that is so much better compared to how I looked before.

October 19, 2011 12:48 AM

I started taking Yaz 2 months ago and for the first 5 weeks I hated it. My skin was worse then ever and I was about to stop. It's been close to 8 weeks now and my skin feels amazing! I have no bumps left on my face, maybe a few scars but they are slowly fading! I use Phisophex with Yaz and so far it's amazing. Keep going with Yaz and don't get freaked out in the first few weeks. I didn't gain any weight and no other side effects. I'm all for Yaz.

October 11, 2011 10:12 PM

If you have a teenage daughter with acne, this is the answer. It was amazing. My daughter went from having inflamed acne all over her forehead to perfectly clear skin. It worked gradually and she does not take the placebo. Acne was gone in a few months. She also feels perfectly fine otherwise.

September 7, 2011 10:10 AM

Before I started taking birth control I have light-moderate acne. I originally started taking Alesse for contraceptive reasons, took that for 4 months, and it made my breakouts constant. I switched to Yaz, and within a week my acne was virtually gone. Towards the end of the month, around my period, the acne came back, but after the first week of the second pack, my acne was almost gone, and its been another full month and I only ever have an occasional break-out (usually a single pimple) that clears up in about a day or two.

July 19, 2011 1:19 AM

Review by Liv07:

I have been on Yaz for 6 weeks. I know that isn't very long to make a judgment about it's effects on acne so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. Though it really has not helped my acne at all, I cannot conclude that in the next month or two it wouldn't help then either. My issue is that the side effects are really discouraging. I have been so tired almost everyday and my energy is low. I'm a fitness fanatic but my workouts haven't been as good because I'm so tired. I've also been more depressed and my appetite has most definitely increased. I have had some mild nausea. I noticed an increase in gas and bloating. My breasts have also been extremely tender and swollen.

March 25, 2011 5:23 PM

I used Yaz for only three months as advised by my ob-gyn in order to cure my Polycystic ovaries. I haven't noticed occurrence of acne for three months. I can certainly recommend Yaz, however, it's still best to consult your ob-gyn about this pill.

January 4, 2011 9:45 PM

Review by aimeek:

I originally started taking Yaz for birth control, but instantly noticed that my face cleared up. Yaz works wonders for acne, and I highly recommend it. However, it made my emotions go crazy. I became very anxious. I was on it for a year and then decided to get off of it. My anxiety decreased but acne slowly came back. Now I am going to try it again for acne and hope that I can cope with the anxiety from it. I'm out of school now so I'm hoping this makes it easier to cope with the side effects. Also, I did not gain any weight, and my boobs grew a full size. It's a myth that birth control causes weight gain, it only causes increase in appetite or causes you to crave a certain food (i.e. sugar) which in turn causes you to gain weight

October 26, 2010 1:52 PM

Review by butterflygirl011:

I have been using this for about 2 weeks now and so far I like it. I used to be on Loestrin 24 and it made me go INSANE. My poor husband hated being around me for the 2 months I took it. I stopped taking birth control pills after that. Now I am on Yaz and have actually felt good and full of energy but my acne has gotten about 10 times worse than it was starting out. Many have said it gets worse before it gets better so I am sticking with it! Oh and my breasts have already gotten larger. They were large to begin with DD and I am now at DDD. I hope that stops! I honestly do look just like Dolly all boobs.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate