User Reviews for Yaz

Learn more about Yaz.

Yaz Rating Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 233 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Yaz to treat Birth Control

"well so far my menstruation while using yaz pills is really regular. everything while on yaz was perfect! I am hoping after I am done with my 3rd box I will try and get pregnant!"

lotski (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 14, 2016

"As far as birth control... never got pregnant. That is the only plus. Horrible cramps, heavy bleeding, soaking thru tampons in an hour or less, passing of large clots, headaches. Looking forward to switching off to a different BCP"

jparker19 April 8, 2016

"I've been on the generic version of Yaz for 7 days now. I have been nauseated for 7 days and have resulted to taking Zofran (ondanestron) 4 times so that I could eat food. Previously I was on a non-hormonal IUD (Paraguard) but had to have surgery to remove it after it was expelled from my uterus and punctured and embedded in the uterus wall. I'm hopeful that the nausea will go away soon because it's impacted my daily activities."

CJ1234 March 15, 2016

"Heavy bleeding and intense cramping were my primary concerns for starting birth control and since I still bled heavy on my first pill I was switched to Yaz. The good is that the mild acne I did have is now non-existent, no more cramps, and my cycle is the lightest it's ever been. I can actually *want* to do more than stay in bed during my cycle. The bad is the random spotting. Theoretically it's caused by not taking the pill at the same time everyday but I keep a pretty tight schedule so it sucks. The mood swings are also discouraging. I feel myself getting mad or either sad about literally anything more often now. I've also picked up about 10 lbs despite the same eating habits and activity level."

MaddieK (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 8, 2016

"Well my Dr wanted me to try it instead of depo.. but I cramp while not even on my period now and have chest pains about an hour after taking it. I looked up reviews because of the chest pains ... and no surprise others experience chest pain with it. I wouldn't recommend it. Also the days of the week label falls off and gets me off track. That doesn't help.."

Si Cov March 7, 2016

"I'm currently still on yaz because my mother won't let me off Of it. I'm 18 and not using yaz for contraception but for depression and anxiety which I find horrendous that my doctor has kinda just gone "you're a female it must be your period!" Idiot. However yaz was kind of working at the start everything has gone downhill and now in my 4th month of using it I'm thinking of stopping taking them against my doctor and mother because my periods irregular, I drink a lot of water but I'm constipated daily, I have funny discharge, I've put on weight, I have headaches and feel dizzy, closer to my period I get sick and feel like vomiting and I'm not happy these pills don't help me how they're supposed to they just hurt me."

Arrabella March 3, 2016

"WORST PILL. Went on it for around 5 months and it made my life a living hell. Almost immediately, I experienced an annoying, impossible to get rid of weight gain. Went from a B cup to a D/DD cup, depending on the time of the month. I also experienced some serious bloating around my stomach and could not get rid of it. Around the same time, I also became incredibly moody. As the months went on, this only got worse. Along with my moodiness, I became anxious, depressed and found that my libido had disappeared completely. Ultimately, I felt as if I had become a different person completely and decided to toss my remaining packs. While my weight and mood went back to normal, my libido took forever to reappear and I still feel it's not the same."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 22, 2016

"So far so good.. I have been on Yaz for two months now. Worked great for clearing up acne. My face was completely clear within the first month of using Yaz. My only problems are that when it is close to my period my cramps are worse than ever. I've also been getting extremely emotional before my period. But other than that, everything seems great. No nausea or anything."

Alexandria_USAF February 21, 2016

"I have been on Yaz for 6 months and have mixed feelings. It does its job by not getting me pregnant and my periods are finally regular. However I have never been more tired in my life. I can barely stay awake past 830pm. I get some pretty intense headaches as well. My weight tends to fluctuate too. I was lucky to not have acne so I can't speak on that but hopefully I can figure out how to get rid of the headaches and weird emotional attacks where I cry for no reason."

Leash a February 20, 2016

"I wouldn't normally give feedback but I think it's really important for women to know the possible side effects. I was on Yaz for 6 months and I started to get chest (heart) pain. The chest pain became more frequent and severe, so I went to my Doctor to get their opinion. My Doctor said there is a chance that the Pill (especially Yaz, because of the hormones it uses) can cause clotting of the blood, which can then lodge in various places in the body. I was told to go to Emergency if my leg started to swell, which it did. The pain went away gradually after I stopped Yaz, but I really believe it would've been a serious problem if I kept taking it. Please be careful when taking it, you're better not to take it if you have these symptoms."

Ruthie_ (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 18, 2016

"I have been using Yaz for 1 year and still can't get regular periods. In fact sometimes I have my period for 2 weeks. It is horrendous and after reading these reviews will be changing. It is crazy expensive too!"

vickieffingwilson246 February 1, 2016

"Yaz made me nauseated daily and my mood went from being a happy bright personality to a moody tired personality. Changed back to previous pill and feel a million bucks again."

Alleycat775 January 30, 2016

"I have been on Yaz for just a few weeks but I love it. I've gone up a cup size and am happy about that. My acne is GONE - none at all and I used to break out badly on my back. My period is way lighter and cramps are much better than they used to be. The only reason I put 9 instead of 10 is because it makes me very moody/irritable sometimes."

Cj561 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 15, 2016

"Caused major depression. Was on many strong medications for years before reading how Yaz could be the problem. Went off Yaz and depression disappeared. No more strong medication. No sex drive while on pill. Very dry during sex. Also had a terrible scarring breakout after coming off of it. Only gave it two stars because I did not get pregnant so it "did its jobs.""

Liz AR (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 4, 2016

"I've been on YAZ since I was 16 (now 26). I used to be happy all the time, excited about life, enjoy sex and just fine. Since I've been taking YAZ I gone from mild to severe depression, anxiety attacks, uncontrolled bouts of crying, panic attacks and now I may have first signs of glaucoma. I now take high doses of antidepressants. My mental health shows no signs of improving. It has gotten worse as I have gotten older. I went to a psychiatrist a few years back and she put me on Prozac, but the symptoms have gotten worse. Now I'm on triple doses of anti-depressants. After reading these articles and the side effects of other users I'm confident it is the result of YAZ. I attend a medical school, so I shall have tests done next week."

CAL2016 January 3, 2016

"If I could give negative ratings I would. I have been on yaz for 4 months now and started it as a means of tracking my periods, which were irregular before. Much to my dismay yaz didn't help in this respect at all, I can't depend on it at all. My periods are still irregular. I have also experienced extreme mood swings, crying over nothing, getting depressed over silly things that never used to effect me at all. I have now stopped taking yaz and I'm so much happier."

Jessi031 December 27, 2015

"So far I have been on yaz for about two weeks, my dermatologist recommended it for me because I was having really bad break outs. So far it has cleared up my skin and I also feel as though my breasts have been getting bigger (which I want). I was on the depot shot for a year and it was terrible. My dermo told me that birth control causes break outs. I also lost a extremely unhealthy amount of weight on the shot. Ever since quitting the depo shot and going to Yaz, I've been back to my normal self and my normal energy. I'm also slowly getting back to a healthy weight."

megkov November 17, 2015

"I am quitting Yaz after 9 months of taking the pill. Before I started taking yaz, I had no problems with lubrication during sex, or swelling afterwards. I had a healthy libido, and I didn't really think that BC could change that. Well, I sure was wrong. It was extremely hard for me to get aroused and when I did, there just wasn't enough lubrication in order to have painless sex. Even when we used lube, I would experience painful swelling which would last for several days straight. The only positive side was that my face cleared up, but I'm honestly better off Yaz."

1994oo1994 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 30, 2015

"I've been using Yaz since July. First box, I have tonnes of side effects. I had a nausea, I was feeling very weak, I was fatigue and super sleepy all the time. After two weeks, nausea was gone. I has irregular bleeding which was gone on the third box. i gained 2kg, but I am not sure it's really related to Yaz. However, since from the first day, I am definitelly in a depression. I tend to cry without a reason a lot. I am super anxious about very little things. I definitely overreact emotionally. I am feeling hopeless and so on. After I am sure this depression which came with Yaz is not going, my doctor gave me other one which I will start soon."

Lineria (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 26, 2015

"I have been using Yaz as birth control since 2012, yaz is working so well on me, no side effects, everything is good. "

Rhauyyyn (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 9, 2015

"Hi, I started yaz 2 months ago (after a 6 month break) on the 7th day of my period which was the last day. My next period then came 30 days later and lasted for 10 days, the doctor said this was normal since I started yaz on the 7th day of period instead of 1st. One week later Im spotting again!! Is this normal?? Could someone please tell me if your experiencing the same problem."

A.T September 20, 2015

"I have irregular periods (1 per year) so I was put on birth control to help. When I was a teen I was on ortho tri cyclen and it worked just fine. I am 24 now and got a new Doc and was swapped to yaz, one pill for 28 days. I was on it for about a year. NEVER AGAIN! I also have a tilted uterus so my cramps can be debilitating. Yaz was supposed to help. It made it worse. The cramps sat in my lower back and it felt like shooting pains through my who body. The worst part was I developed panic attacks. My mood was terrible. I was either angry or I cried every time I saw something lovey dovey on a netflix movie. My depression got worse. To the point where I thought I was going nuts. I finally had enough and asked to be put back on ortho."

ShellyZ September 13, 2015

"Worst birth control ever. I started taking it after my doctor thought I would get pregnant.... even though condoms are used. I've been on it for 1 1/2 weeks now and my body rejects the pill by vomiting it back up. I've had a really bad acne breakout and I have started to get panic attacks so bad that it's hard to physically and emotionally function. At this point, I'd rather go through 9 months of pregnancy and a million hours of labor than take this."

ZT (taken for less than 1 month) August 25, 2015

"I was on Kariva for years before I started Yaz. I'm so glad I made the switch! I am less irritable, less anxious, and my mood swings are gone. I knew that before my period I would get sad for no reason, feel unmotivated, and my anxiety would rise. I would prepare for it, like clockwork. I don't have to do that now! I feel so much better since taking Yaz. My energy is up, my ability to handle stress is better. Not to mention my face is glowing! My nails and hair have grown so healthy. My breasts have even grown a cup size (back to what they were before having a child)! The only negative is that my breast were tender the first few months of taking the medication (they're fine now)."

Sam555 August 24, 2015

"I was put on Yaz earlier this year by my regular doctor. Within a week of taking yaz, I had severe pain in my abdomen, I couldn't breathe without being in excruciating pain. A week later I was worse, I was in the worst pain I'd ever felt constantly. I went back to the Dr and after a week of testing and hundreds of dollars found out I have a Gall Bladder Infection and may have to have surgery to remove my gall bladder. Luckily, medication cleared it up after a few days. Since then I have found out that there is actually a number of class actions, in a number of different countries including Australia & Canada, against the maker of Yaz due to the immense number of adversely effected women. Dont go near it!!"

JLH90 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 18, 2015