User Reviews for Yaz

Learn more about Yaz.

Yaz Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 226 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Yaz to treat Birth Control

"I have been using Yaz for 1 year and still can't get regular periods. In fact sometimes I have my period for 2 weeks. It is horrendous and after reading these reviews will be changing. It is crazy expensive too!"

vickieffingwilson246 February 1, 2016

"Yaz made me nauseated daily and my mood went from being a happy bright personality to a moody tired personality. Changed back to previous pill and feel a million bucks again."

Alleycat775 January 30, 2016

"I have been on Yaz for just a few weeks but I love it. I've gone up a cup size and am happy about that. My acne is GONE - none at all and I used to break out badly on my back. My period is way lighter and cramps are much better than they used to be. The only reason I put 9 instead of 10 is because it makes me very moody/irritable sometimes."

Cj561 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 15, 2016

"Caused major depression. Was on many strong medications for years before reading how Yaz could be the problem. Went off Yaz and depression disappeared. No more strong medication. No sex drive while on pill. Very dry during sex. Also had a terrible scarring breakout after coming off of it. Only gave it two stars because I did not get pregnant so it "did its jobs.""

Liz AR (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 4, 2016

"I've been on YAZ since I was 16 (now 26). I used to be happy all the time, excited about life, enjoy sex and just fine. Since I've been taking YAZ I gone from mild to severe depression, anxiety attacks, uncontrolled bouts of crying, panic attacks and now I may have first signs of glaucoma. I now take high doses of antidepressants. My mental health shows no signs of improving. It has gotten worse as I have gotten older. I went to a psychiatrist a few years back and she put me on Prozac, but the symptoms have gotten worse. Now I'm on triple doses of anti-depressants. After reading these articles and the side effects of other users I'm confident it is the result of YAZ. I attend a medical school, so I shall have tests done next week."

CAL2016 January 3, 2016

"If I could give negative ratings I would. I have been on yaz for 4 months now and started it as a means of tracking my periods, which were irregular before. Much to my dismay yaz didn't help in this respect at all, I can't depend on it at all. My periods are still irregular. I have also experienced extreme mood swings, crying over nothing, getting depressed over silly things that never used to effect me at all. I have now stopped taking yaz and I'm so much happier."

Jessi031 December 27, 2015

"So far I have been on yaz for about two weeks, my dermatologist recommended it for me because I was having really bad break outs. So far it has cleared up my skin and I also feel as though my breasts have been getting bigger (which I want). I was on the depot shot for a year and it was terrible. My dermo told me that birth control causes break outs. I also lost a extremely unhealthy amount of weight on the shot. Ever since quitting the depo shot and going to Yaz, I've been back to my normal self and my normal energy. I'm also slowly getting back to a healthy weight."

megkov November 17, 2015

"I am quitting Yaz after 9 months of taking the pill. Before I started taking yaz, I had no problems with lubrication during sex, or swelling afterwards. I had a healthy libido, and I didn't really think that BC could change that. Well, I sure was wrong. It was extremely hard for me to get aroused and when I did, there just wasn't enough lubrication in order to have painless sex. Even when we used lube, I would experience painful swelling which would last for several days straight. The only positive side was that my face cleared up, but I'm honestly better off Yaz."

1994oo1994 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 30, 2015

"I've been using Yaz since July. First box, I have tonnes of side effects. I had a nausea, I was feeling very weak, I was fatigue and super sleepy all the time. After two weeks, nausea was gone. I has irregular bleeding which was gone on the third box. i gained 2kg, but I am not sure it's really related to Yaz. However, since from the first day, I am definitelly in a depression. I tend to cry without a reason a lot. I am super anxious about very little things. I definitely overreact emotionally. I am feeling hopeless and so on. After I am sure this depression which came with Yaz is not going, my doctor gave me other one which I will start soon."

Lineria (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 26, 2015

"I have been using Yaz as birth control since 2012, yaz is working so well on me, no side effects, everything is good. "

Rhauyyyn (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 9, 2015

"Hi, I started yaz 2 months ago (after a 6 month break) on the 7th day of my period which was the last day. My next period then came 30 days later and lasted for 10 days, the doctor said this was normal since I started yaz on the 7th day of period instead of 1st. One week later Im spotting again!! Is this normal?? Could someone please tell me if your experiencing the same problem."

A.T September 20, 2015

"I have irregular periods (1 per year) so I was put on birth control to help. When I was a teen I was on ortho tri cyclen and it worked just fine. I am 24 now and got a new Doc and was swapped to yaz, one pill for 28 days. I was on it for about a year. NEVER AGAIN! I also have a tilted uterus so my cramps can be debilitating. Yaz was supposed to help. It made it worse. The cramps sat in my lower back and it felt like shooting pains through my who body. The worst part was I developed panic attacks. My mood was terrible. I was either angry or I cried every time I saw something lovey dovey on a netflix movie. My depression got worse. To the point where I thought I was going nuts. I finally had enough and asked to be put back on ortho."

ShellyZ September 13, 2015

"Worst birth control ever. I started taking it after my doctor thought I would get pregnant.... even though condoms are used. I've been on it for 1 1/2 weeks now and my body rejects the pill by vomiting it back up. I've had a really bad acne breakout and I have started to get panic attacks so bad that it's hard to physically and emotionally function. At this point, I'd rather go through 9 months of pregnancy and a million hours of labor than take this."

ZT (taken for less than 1 month) August 25, 2015

"I was on Kariva for years before I started Yaz. I'm so glad I made the switch! I am less irritable, less anxious, and my mood swings are gone. I knew that before my period I would get sad for no reason, feel unmotivated, and my anxiety would rise. I would prepare for it, like clockwork. I don't have to do that now! I feel so much better since taking Yaz. My energy is up, my ability to handle stress is better. Not to mention my face is glowing! My nails and hair have grown so healthy. My breasts have even grown a cup size (back to what they were before having a child)! The only negative is that my breast were tender the first few months of taking the medication (they're fine now)."

Sam555 August 24, 2015

"I was put on Yaz earlier this year by my regular doctor. Within a week of taking yaz, I had severe pain in my abdomen, I couldn't breathe without being in excruciating pain. A week later I was worse, I was in the worst pain I'd ever felt constantly. I went back to the Dr and after a week of testing and hundreds of dollars found out I have a Gall Bladder Infection and may have to have surgery to remove my gall bladder. Luckily, medication cleared it up after a few days. Since then I have found out that there is actually a number of class actions, in a number of different countries including Australia & Canada, against the maker of Yaz due to the immense number of adversely effected women. Dont go near it!!"

JLH90 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 18, 2015

"I have been taking Yaz now for a little over a year, and i have noticed a few effects of it. Some good and some bad. It cleared up my acne a lot, made my periods WAY lighter and less painful. The bad side effects are that I almost completely have lost my sex drive, also it makes my eyes super sensitive, I always have to wear sunglasses and can barley wear contacts for about 3 hours. When I first started taking it I got really bad nausea but now I don't."

Sdawg (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 5, 2015

"I've been using Yaz for about 6weeks now and I immediately noticed my skin getting better and my skin getting no clearer. My period has improved so much, it was hell before and now it's shorter and painless. My sex drive improved as well( I didn't expect that). The big problem I have are my mood swings. I am a very happy and charismatic person but now I feel anxious all the time, I'm sensitive over things that wouldn't bother me at all before. I cry all the time. I'm often irritable and sometimes just want toscream at everyone. I hate the emotional effects it has on me but i think the positives outweigh the negatives."

Lulubati July 13, 2015

"Let me just start this by saying, you need to wait this birth control out. I had some moderate acne before taking the pill, and was needing to get back on a birth control and figured that yaz would be a good bet. Well, I have really zero side effects with yaz. Which I was so happy with. I still have a sex drive, I don't get headaches, bitchiness, or stomach aches. Overall, great pill. I had read the reviews about the pill before going on it and noticed most people had an initial first break out period with it getting better until month 3, so true! The first two months were hell, terrible breakouts I would say the worst in my life. But I am now in month four, and am hardly breaking out! Wait it out, it will pay off!"

Raduncan26 July 7, 2015

"I've been using Yaz for almost two months and I won't be continuing with this pill. Almost immediately after I changed from Qlaira to Yaz I noticed my anxiety levels rising, I'm not one to constantly worry and have always had this joy for life, but not since taking Yaz. I don't even feel like waking up and doing what I love. My sex drive is very, very, very low and I'm very dry down there. I'm very moody and fight with my fiance on a daily basis. My breasts have gone up an entire cup size and they are really tende. I have severe abdominal pains and nausea. I cannot wait to start a different pill."

FrankieSweeting May 11, 2015

"I started taking Yaz almost 3 months ago. I was put on Yaz for hormonal acne (chin and jaw line). I've had TERRIBLE experiences with birth control, weight gain, acne, mood swings, etc. I was nervous to start Yaz. Within a week my acne was completely gone! I did not experience any mood swings or weight gain! No "hungry all the time feeling." I was beyond excited. I started my 2nd pack and my face lit up like never before. Probably the worst breakouts I've ever had. I just finished my 2nd pack and my face is finally clearing up. Im just dealing with the aftermath from the breakouts (purple blue spots). I'm guessing my body was just getting used to the hormones. I'll check back in after month 3! Hopefully it will continue to clear up!"

Ksugirl (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 27, 2015

"I'm 18 years old and I started taking Yaz when I was 14 for the use of treating acne. It did not do much for my acne so I began taking Accutane. I stayed on Yaz because you need to be on 2 forms of birth control when taking Accutane. My acne went away, and then I got a boyfriend so I stayed on Yaz. I've been using Yaz for over 4 years in all of my teen years and let me just say, this stuff is amazing for preventing pregnancy. The pills are a miracle. I didn't really gain weight on this product, I developed breasts rapidly! I've never taken any other types of birth control, but I give YAZ five stars. Good luck!"

Calichick January 7, 2015

"I was on Yas a few years ago and I stopped. I had no problems with it and it did clear up my acne, which was mild anyway. When I started it up again, there are two things I don't like about it: 1. normally my periods are very heavy on day two and taper off at a five, they also pushed back every month by about a week. With Yaz, my periods are much lighter to the point where I'm only spotting but then I'm spotting for almost a week and a half and even though I'm on the blanks, my period does not start now until almost the second week of my new pack. 2. My breasts are extremely tender ALL.MONTH.LONG! At first, I didn't mind because my breasts grew by almost a full cup. I can hardly hug people! I don't know if I'll continue or at least take a break."

joyazgirl (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 4, 2015

"Yaz has been a complete lifesaver. I used to suffer with heavy bleeding and cramps that had me bedridden. I've been on Yaz since 16 and I don't regret it at all. I have absolutely no side effects and there is no complications with my health either. If you're a first timer - Yaz is the way to go."

PMS = Pretty Mad Sister (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 2, 2015

"I have been on Yaz for 3 years now and it really helped with a lot of things. My mild acne cleared up and I have beautiful skin, and before Yaz I had very irregular periods that would last for 2 weeks at a time. Yaz controlled my period and I only have it for about 3-4 days and it is very light. I do get moody while taking the white pills (last 4 pills) and I hate everything, but I've always been like that and it only lasts a few days. It has helped a great deal in preventing pregnancy, since I don't always use condoms. I would definitely recommend this pill."

Anonymous December 27, 2014

"I have been on yaz for 8 months, the first 5 months were great, but now im having my period for 3 weeks per month. It goes away the first week of my pills and comes back 2nd week... time to switch. I had zero breakouts and i lost 10 pounds that was great though"

Starxoxo November 13, 2014