User Reviews for Yaz

Learn more about Yaz.

Yaz review summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 201 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Yaz to treat Birth Control

Review by PMS Girl (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Yaz was great for about three months. Then with time I suddenly started to become too overbearing for many people in my life. I was always high strung, and I had intense symptoms of PMS. It got to the point where my family and friends basically ignored me for two weeks and I lost a relationship from it. It helped give me the estrogen I was lacking while being a great birh control, the PMS factor just overrided the others.

June 18, 2014 10:29 AM

Review by Shanny112 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I have a regular cycle with no spotting. I did have some weight gain in the belly area but it helps with pimples and my PMS is better. I would recommend this pill.

June 6, 2014 10:45 PM

Review by Valona (taken for 1 to 2 years):

It is the most amazing medicine for birth control I ever used. I actually didn't use anything else except Yaz, never switched to another birth control pill. The only side effect is that I gained weight but that's nothing compared to how amazingly it works. I also got all the acne gone and I have regular periods.

April 15, 2014 7:33 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

At first I really loved Yaz. There was little to no weight gain, it didn't make me have any mood swings. I've been taking it for 7 months, and for the last 4 months, I've noticed a decrease in sex drive, very very little lubrication, and haven't gotten my period for the last 3 months... which is a scary thing. On top of that I started bleeding during intercourse. Each month I went to the gyno to see what was wrong, I took a pregnancy test there each month and every test came out negative. I got looked at and got other tests done and everything came out negative and normal. I've now been very tired and irritable lately and the doctor's still don't seem to know exactly what's wrong, which is very stressful. I'm now switching to NuvaRing.

November 14, 2013 1:53 PM

Review by Brydawn (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I LOVED Yaz, I was on it for 2 years. It caused my cramps to stop completely and I had no side effects the only thing I had was a loss in my sex drive. But I think all birth control does that to me. Only reason I switched was because I couldn't remember to take it every day anymore because my work and college was all over the place. I would go days without it.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 27, 2013 8:22 AM

Review by Katia love:

I got on this birth control when it first came in 2006 when I was 16, I was on it up until I was 22. Switching was the biggest mistake ever. I LOVED this birth control. I never had any problems with it. Lighter and shorter periods, cleared up my skin and no bloating or weight gain. The only downfall was I did get very emotional but that was it and maybe occasional breakthrough bleeding. Best of all it worked for me. I am switching back to this birth control and can't wait.

August 14, 2013 8:23 PM

Review by Maggie in PA (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I was on Yaz for a long time, about five years. It helped with my horrible mood swings. After a while, I got no period while on Yaz, not even spotting or cramping, which was a huge plus. The only negative for me was my sex drive became non-existent. My poor husband thought there was something wrong with him so I just switched to the patch.

July 24, 2013 8:54 PM

Review by kaylamooress:

I have been on Yaz for 3 and a half years, and I have not had any issues. I have regular periods, I have no weird side effects. I fluctuate in weight by 5 pounds now off and on. I read all of the scary lawsuits against Yaz, talked to my doctors and the lawsuits failed to mention the other issues that girls had other then just the common factor that they were taking Yaz. PLEASE DON'T BE SCARED OF IT. I was and its a stress you don't need. I have been fine, and many others have too.

July 16, 2013 6:18 PM

Review by Jess5:

I've been on Yaz for almost 2 years now and I have had no issues whatsoever. Every individual reacts differently to different medicines. It's common sense to assume the risk outlined on the label.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 12, 2013 12:12 AM

Review by ZuSa (taken for less than 1 month):

I started on Lo Loestrin FE for Polycystic ovarian syndrome and then changed to Yaz since my insurance didn't cover Lo Loestrin and besides that it was giving me acne and I was on a emotional roller-coaster. With Yaz, I was feeling way better, slight acne, no weight gain, BUT yeast infections. I'm switching to Yasmin.

April 17, 2013 1:36 PM

Review by ColoradoMom (taken for less than 1 month):

I've been on Yaz for just about a month. I've noticed some improvement in my acne. I started Yaz just for birth control and because I had having a lot of anxiety and my doctor thought it may help along with my anxiety meds. I haven't noticed a difference with taking Yaz yet, but it's only been a month and I don't exactly have PMDD. So I will keep taking and see what happens over the next few months. The very first pill I took gave me nausea but that was it.

April 13, 2013 10:42 PM

Review by :) (taken for 10 years or more):

Yaz was amazing for my life. I was on it since a teenager. I stopped taking it when all the new health warnings came out because my OB recommended it. I didn't like every other birth control after. I then had two children and went to an intrauterine device and didn't like that either. I then switched to another pill (awful) along with the Nuvaring. Then I begged to switch back to Yaz. I love it still. Although the cost is higher this time around.

March 14, 2013 9:05 AM

Review by JB3198 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've been experimenting with different brands of birth control for 15 years. I took every pill under the sun, including the shot but always suffered terrible side effects from nausea and vomiting, to crazy mood swings, depression, anxiety and weight gain. Yaz is the ONLY pill I've been able to tolerate. I have very minimal side effects (some breast tenderness, occasional spotting). My skin looks great, I have more energy, I haven't gained a single pound, my periods are light, I still have a sex drive, and my emotions are not all over the place. I get that everyone is different and what works for some may be a nightmare for others, but if you've not been able to tolerate any other brands I'd give Yaz a try.

February 1, 2013 8:39 AM

Review by ninjakowski (taken for 1 to 2 years):

This was my first experience with birth control. From a physical side it was great, lighter, shorter periods and no side effects. But it turned me into a miserable, emotional mess. Almost ruined my relationship with my mood swings, neediness and constant breakdowns. It took a long time for me to begin suspecting Yaz, and it was only when the pharmacy was out and gave me Yasmin instead that my suspicions were confirmed, I am 100 % happier and more emotionally stable now.

October 20, 2012 3:26 AM

Review by alecis (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This is my second month on Yaz. I'm 16, I have had my period for 3 weeks! It won't stop.

October 13, 2012 3:24 PM

I actually loved Yaz. I wasn't moody and lost about 20 lbs on it. I don't think the weight loss was just from taking the pill but it wasn't at all hard to shed the extra pounds through a little exercise on this.

September 4, 2012 12:51 AM

I wanted to say I had high hopes for this pill. I was on Alesse before Yaz. It was great at first but then Alesse started to make me depressed after 5 months. My doctor prescribed Yaz. Usually I'm very cheerful and happy, especially these days when NOTHING IS WRONG. Day 1 on Yaz I started to have anxiety and panic attacks about every little thing. Day 2 I would cry for no reason and felt anxious all day, if I wasn't crying it was because I was distracting myself from the bad thoughts that kept creeping up on me. Day 3 I couldn't be alone without freaking out, just panic attacks. I can't function like this!!

August 15, 2012 5:33 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I've been on YAZ for 18 months. Since starting Yaz, I've noticed no major weight changes (maybe lost a few pounds, but I attribute that to stress) and some minor acne breakouts. The biggest three changes were mood swings, change in menstrual flow, and a HUGE decrease in libido. My husband noticed my mood swings and said I seem to be overall less enthusiastic about life. My flow changed to some very strange bleeding (heavy in the morning, nonexistent at night, sometimes lasting 10 days). Overall, my period flow was lighter, I just couldn't seem to get a normal flow. The lack of libido has been a huge deal in my marriage. I went from wanting sex a few times a week to not wanting it at ALL.

August 7, 2012 3:33 PM

Review by zoedee (taken for less than 1 month):

I started Yaz and immediately noticed my anxiety levels go through the roof, particularly within the first two hours of taking it. I was jittery, had mild heart palpitations, fogginess, indecisiveness, restless sleep and was extremely depressive and teary. My skin also erupted with acne. Upside: I lost a ton of water weight and grew breasts! I gave up after 10 days, too many contraindications in too short amount of time.

July 27, 2012 6:44 AM

Review by r.alexis (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I had the worst mood swings on Yaz. Cried basically every day over the stupidest things, made me extremely tired and stressed, and made me gain a ton of weight. After a year of being on it I switched to Tri-cyclen and couldn't be happier.

July 8, 2012 6:46 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I've been on Yaz for over a year now. At first, it was wonderful for me because it helped eliminate the painful cramps I was suffering before and I had no side effects. I lost weight and had no acne. BUT, for the past 2 months I've been extremely moody, depressed, tired and just not myself. I can't wait to go see my doctor to switch! It's affecting my social life big time.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 13, 2012 7:56 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have been on Yaz for five years now and LOVE it. I've had no issues and it kept the major cramps, acne, and babies away. I started at 16 and am now 21. I actually have to switch because I've been having breakthrough bleeding a lot, but this is the first time in five years I've had to deal with it. Might just be from my hormones changing with getting older. I'm very sad I'll be leaving Yaz and will be sure to return to it if this next one doesn't work. It's treated me great!

June 13, 2012 5:54 PM

Review by Aireal McKay:

I have been taking Yaz for about 4 years now and it started to stop working. My periods got heavier and heavier and I even started before I was supposed to I'm starting to worry.

June 7, 2012 11:19 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I got on Yaz right when in 2007. I have been on it ever since than. I've thought about switching because of all the negative stories and scary side effects people are claiming Yaz has. But honestly, I love this birth control. I don't have any symptoms during my period. I don't get cramps, bloating, etc. Although, I do get acne during my period, but it consist of 2-3 pimples that go away when my period stops. My period only lasts 3 days, it's light, and before Yaz I'd last up to 7 days and it was very heavy. I have nothing bad to say about it and would recommend it to anyone.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 21, 2012 12:16 PM

Review by lucy375 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I was on Lutera before it was suggested that I switch to the generic form of Yaz in order to help clear up my skin. so I did. For the first weeks or so I was very tired and had excruciating headaches, both of which were very out of character for me. This resolved after about a week. As for my skin it took probably about 4 months to clear up, but after it cleared up it stayed that way, thanks to Yaz. On the negative side, this pill brought my libido into the negative. Also dryness became an issue which of course further effected my libido in a negative way, besides just being embarrassing in general. Now my insurance has decided to no longer cover it so I am switching, I am worried about my skin, but excited to have my sex life back.

May 18, 2012 10:16 PM