User Reviews for Yaz

Learn more about Yaz.

Yaz review summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 202 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Yaz to treat Birth Control

Review by Starxoxo:

I have been on yaz for 8 months, the first 5 months were great, but now im having my period for 3 weeks per month. It goes away the first week of my pills and comes back 2nd week... time to switch. I had zero breakouts and i lost 10 pounds that was great though

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 13, 2014 11:44 AM

Review by Candy1092:

Made me vomit up to three times a day on random days .. Up to the third month. Gave me horrible nightmares every night not one missed starting last month. Love working out don't have energy to do it anymore. Sleep way too much 13 hours or more a day with naps. Depression before I went to sleep sometime I would cry my eyeballs out. Did not gain weight on it and I have the most amazing skin you can think of and period for only two days. Let's weight this out here, NO Can't do it. Switching to mini pills!

October 10, 2014 10:53 PM

Review by Joanna1986 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I was taking Yaz for almost 7 years and I loved it! My weight never changed, my skin was beautiful, normal sex drive, no cramps, 3-4 days periods. In 2013 I saw some weird spots on my face, after the consultation with a doc it turned out to be Melasma (nothing dangerous but it doesn't look good) . One of the most common causes is oral birth control. It wasn't the Yaz, just birth control with higher amount of progestin. I switched to Mirena and that was the worst decision ever! Acne, mood changes, gained 20 pounds in 3 weeks. I'm going back on the pill this month and we will see how it goes, I will post about it in about 6 months.

October 10, 2014 4:02 PM

Review by Anne F.:

I've been on Yaz since I was 23 and I'm 28 now. In the first month or so I had mild side effects-felt a bit dizzy and had some breakthrough bleeding, but they subsided after a month or two. I have PMDD, and Yaz has been a Godsend in regulating my moods-instead of being out of control for 3 weeks, I only have PMDD for little less than a week. It's definitely helped me and I'd be a hot mess without it!

October 6, 2014 5:56 PM

Review by CanadianGirl (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Upon requesting a Yaz prescription from my doctor, I was initially concerned as I was very nauseous and threw-up a few times in the morning during the first week. Nonetheless, I remained on Yaz and I am certainly glad that I did. I do not suffer from any acne with the exception of the couple days preceding my period (minor and unpreventable chin acne due to hormones/menstruation). It%u2019s highly effective in preventing pregnancy and I have not noticed any weight gain. In fact, I felt thinner when I first began taking it. I do not experience any physical pain or health issues (I recently turned 21, I do not smoke, and I am very slim and active). Overall, Yaz is great.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 19, 2014 1:54 PM

Review by em000 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

This was the first birth control pill I went on because I was having heavy periods and cramps but also because I started having sex. Never really had too many problems, still had pretty heavy days for the first 2 out of 6 but at least they would come like clockwork. I did get super emotional for about 3 days a month where almost anything would make me cry and where I would get the occasional extreme cramp. Overall it worked pretty well for me, never got pregnant even though had a ton of sex near the end (usually also had condoms) and managed to rarely miss a pill.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 16, 2014 5:33 PM

Review by Elementalmage (taken for less than 1 month):

My first month on Yaz, and I must say I've noticed two changes. On the plus side, period is much lighter and I'm not suffering from the debilitating exhaustion I had for years during each period. However, I'm getting panicky and got palpitations.

September 14, 2014 3:37 PM

From the experience of taking Yaz for about two years. Advantages: no pain at PMS, less bleeding, scheduled period, for sale in most of the countries. disadvantages: cause me with gaining weight (about 3kg) for near two years, although there might be other reasons

September 11, 2014 10:38 AM

Review by Emotional rollercoaster (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Made me very emotional and anxious, I felt like I was going crazy. It also made my periods irregular and gave me awful cramps. Only took for 4 months and it caused me to have 3 very painful ovarian cysts. Was not the right birth control for me!

August 6, 2014 9:12 PM

Review by PMS Girl (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Yaz was great for about three months. Then with time I suddenly started to become too overbearing for many people in my life. I was always high strung, and I had intense symptoms of PMS. It got to the point where my family and friends basically ignored me for two weeks and I lost a relationship from it. It helped give me the estrogen I was lacking while being a great birh control, the PMS factor just overrided the others.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 18, 2014 10:29 AM

Review by Shanny112 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I have a regular cycle with no spotting. I did have some weight gain in the belly area but it helps with pimples and my PMS is better. I would recommend this pill.

June 6, 2014 10:45 PM

Review by Valona (taken for 1 to 2 years):

It is the most amazing medicine for birth control I ever used. I actually didn't use anything else except Yaz, never switched to another birth control pill. The only side effect is that I gained weight but that's nothing compared to how amazingly it works. I also got all the acne gone and I have regular periods.

April 15, 2014 7:33 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

At first I really loved Yaz. There was little to no weight gain, it didn't make me have any mood swings. I've been taking it for 7 months, and for the last 4 months, I've noticed a decrease in sex drive, very very little lubrication, and haven't gotten my period for the last 3 months... which is a scary thing. On top of that I started bleeding during intercourse. Each month I went to the gyno to see what was wrong, I took a pregnancy test there each month and every test came out negative. I got looked at and got other tests done and everything came out negative and normal. I've now been very tired and irritable lately and the doctor's still don't seem to know exactly what's wrong, which is very stressful. I'm now switching to NuvaRing.

November 14, 2013 1:53 PM

Review by Brydawn (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I LOVED Yaz, I was on it for 2 years. It caused my cramps to stop completely and I had no side effects the only thing I had was a loss in my sex drive. But I think all birth control does that to me. Only reason I switched was because I couldn't remember to take it every day anymore because my work and college was all over the place. I would go days without it.

September 27, 2013 8:22 AM

Review by Katia love:

I got on this birth control when it first came in 2006 when I was 16, I was on it up until I was 22. Switching was the biggest mistake ever. I LOVED this birth control. I never had any problems with it. Lighter and shorter periods, cleared up my skin and no bloating or weight gain. The only downfall was I did get very emotional but that was it and maybe occasional breakthrough bleeding. Best of all it worked for me. I am switching back to this birth control and can't wait.

August 14, 2013 8:23 PM

Review by Maggie in PA (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I was on Yaz for a long time, about five years. It helped with my horrible mood swings. After a while, I got no period while on Yaz, not even spotting or cramping, which was a huge plus. The only negative for me was my sex drive became non-existent. My poor husband thought there was something wrong with him so I just switched to the patch.

July 24, 2013 8:54 PM

Review by kaylamooress:

I have been on Yaz for 3 and a half years, and I have not had any issues. I have regular periods, I have no weird side effects. I fluctuate in weight by 5 pounds now off and on. I read all of the scary lawsuits against Yaz, talked to my doctors and the lawsuits failed to mention the other issues that girls had other then just the common factor that they were taking Yaz. PLEASE DON'T BE SCARED OF IT. I was and its a stress you don't need. I have been fine, and many others have too.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 16, 2013 6:18 PM

Review by Jess5:

I've been on Yaz for almost 2 years now and I have had no issues whatsoever. Every individual reacts differently to different medicines. It's common sense to assume the risk outlined on the label.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 12, 2013 12:12 AM

Review by ZuSa (taken for less than 1 month):

I started on Lo Loestrin FE for Polycystic ovarian syndrome and then changed to Yaz since my insurance didn't cover Lo Loestrin and besides that it was giving me acne and I was on a emotional roller-coaster. With Yaz, I was feeling way better, slight acne, no weight gain, BUT yeast infections. I'm switching to Yasmin.

April 17, 2013 1:36 PM

Review by ColoradoMom (taken for less than 1 month):

I've been on Yaz for just about a month. I've noticed some improvement in my acne. I started Yaz just for birth control and because I had having a lot of anxiety and my doctor thought it may help along with my anxiety meds. I haven't noticed a difference with taking Yaz yet, but it's only been a month and I don't exactly have PMDD. So I will keep taking and see what happens over the next few months. The very first pill I took gave me nausea but that was it.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 13, 2013 10:42 PM

Review by :) (taken for 10 years or more):

Yaz was amazing for my life. I was on it since a teenager. I stopped taking it when all the new health warnings came out because my OB recommended it. I didn't like every other birth control after. I then had two children and went to an intrauterine device and didn't like that either. I then switched to another pill (awful) along with the Nuvaring. Then I begged to switch back to Yaz. I love it still. Although the cost is higher this time around.

March 14, 2013 9:05 AM

Review by JB3198 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've been experimenting with different brands of birth control for 15 years. I took every pill under the sun, including the shot but always suffered terrible side effects from nausea and vomiting, to crazy mood swings, depression, anxiety and weight gain. Yaz is the ONLY pill I've been able to tolerate. I have very minimal side effects (some breast tenderness, occasional spotting). My skin looks great, I have more energy, I haven't gained a single pound, my periods are light, I still have a sex drive, and my emotions are not all over the place. I get that everyone is different and what works for some may be a nightmare for others, but if you've not been able to tolerate any other brands I'd give Yaz a try.

February 1, 2013 8:39 AM

Review by ninjakowski (taken for 1 to 2 years):

This was my first experience with birth control. From a physical side it was great, lighter, shorter periods and no side effects. But it turned me into a miserable, emotional mess. Almost ruined my relationship with my mood swings, neediness and constant breakdowns. It took a long time for me to begin suspecting Yaz, and it was only when the pharmacy was out and gave me Yasmin instead that my suspicions were confirmed, I am 100 % happier and more emotionally stable now.

October 20, 2012 3:26 AM

Review by alecis (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This is my second month on Yaz. I'm 16, I have had my period for 3 weeks! It won't stop.

October 13, 2012 3:24 PM

I actually loved Yaz. I wasn't moody and lost about 20 lbs on it. I don't think the weight loss was just from taking the pill but it wasn't at all hard to shed the extra pounds through a little exercise on this.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate