User Reviews for Yaz

Learn more about Yaz.

Yaz Review Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 212 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Yaz to treat Birth Control

"I was on Kariva for years before I started Yaz. I'm so glad I made the switch! I am less irritable, less anxious, and my mood swings are gone. I knew that before my period I would get sad for no reason, feel unmotivated, and my anxiety would rise. I would prepare for it, like clockwork. I don't have to do that now! I feel so much better since taking Yaz. My energy is up, my ability to handle stress is better. Not to mention my face is glowing! My nails and hair have grown so healthy. My breasts have even grown a cup size (back to what they were before having a child)! The only negative is that my breast were tender the first few months of taking the medication (they're fine now)."

Sam555 August 24, 2015

"I was put on Yaz earlier this year by my regular doctor. Within a week of taking yaz, I had severe pain in my abdomen, I couldn't breathe without being in excruciating pain. A week later I was worse, I was in the worst pain I'd ever felt constantly. I went back to the Dr and after a week of testing and hundreds of dollars found out I have a Gall Bladder Infection and may have to have surgery to remove my gall bladder. Luckily, medication cleared it up after a few days. Since then I have found out that there is actually a number of class actions, in a number of different countries including Australia & Canada, against the maker of Yaz due to the immense number of adversely effected women. Dont go near it!!"

JLH90 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 18, 2015

"I have been taking Yaz now for a little over a year, and i have noticed a few effects of it. Some good and some bad. It cleared up my acne a lot, made my periods WAY lighter and less painful. The bad side effects are that I almost completely have lost my sex drive, also it makes my eyes super sensitive, I always have to wear sunglasses and can barley wear contacts for about 3 hours. When I first started taking it I got really bad nausea but now I don't."

Sdawg (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 5, 2015

"I've been using Yaz for about 6weeks now and I immediately noticed my skin getting better and my skin getting no clearer. My period has improved so much, it was hell before and now it's shorter and painless. My sex drive improved as well( I didn't expect that). The big problem I have are my mood swings. I am a very happy and charismatic person but now I feel anxious all the time, I'm sensitive over things that wouldn't bother me at all before. I cry all the time. I'm often irritable and sometimes just want toscream at everyone. I hate the emotional effects it has on me but i think the positives outweigh the negatives."

Lulubati July 13, 2015

"Let me just start this by saying, you need to wait this birth control out. I had some moderate acne before taking the pill, and was needing to get back on a birth control and figured that yaz would be a good bet. Well, I have really zero side effects with yaz. Which I was so happy with. I still have a sex drive, I don't get headaches, bitchiness, or stomach aches. Overall, great pill. I had read the reviews about the pill before going on it and noticed most people had an initial first break out period with it getting better until month 3, so true! The first two months were hell, terrible breakouts I would say the worst in my life. But I am now in month four, and am hardly breaking out! Wait it out, it will pay off!"

Raduncan26 July 7, 2015

"I've been using Yaz for almost two months and I won't be continuing with this pill. Almost immediately after I changed from Qlaira to Yaz I noticed my anxiety levels rising, I'm not one to constantly worry and have always had this joy for life, but not since taking Yaz. I don't even feel like waking up and doing what I love. My sex drive is very, very, very low and I'm very dry down there. I'm very moody and fight with my fiance on a daily basis. My breasts have gone up an entire cup size and they are really tende. I have severe abdominal pains and nausea. I cannot wait to start a different pill."

FrankieSweeting May 11, 2015

"I started taking Yaz almost 3 months ago. I was put on Yaz for hormonal acne (chin and jaw line). I've had TERRIBLE experiences with birth control, weight gain, acne, mood swings, etc. I was nervous to start Yaz. Within a week my acne was completely gone! I did not experience any mood swings or weight gain! No "hungry all the time feeling." I was beyond excited. I started my 2nd pack and my face lit up like never before. Probably the worst breakouts I've ever had. I just finished my 2nd pack and my face is finally clearing up. Im just dealing with the aftermath from the breakouts (purple blue spots). I'm guessing my body was just getting used to the hormones. I'll check back in after month 3! Hopefully it will continue to clear up!"

Ksugirl (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 27, 2015

"I'm 18 years old and I started taking Yaz when I was 14 for the use of treating acne. It did not do much for my acne so I began taking Accutane. I stayed on Yaz because you need to be on 2 forms of birth control when taking Accutane. My acne went away, and then I got a boyfriend so I stayed on Yaz. I've been using Yaz for over 4 years in all of my teen years and let me just say, this stuff is amazing for preventing pregnancy. The pills are a miracle. I didn't really gain weight on this product, I developed breasts rapidly! I've never taken any other types of birth control, but I give YAZ five stars. Good luck!"

Calichick January 7, 2015

"I was on Yas a few years ago and I stopped. I had no problems with it and it did clear up my acne, which was mild anyway. When I started it up again, there are two things I don't like about it: 1. normally my periods are very heavy on day two and taper off at a five, they also pushed back every month by about a week. With Yaz, my periods are much lighter to the point where I'm only spotting but then I'm spotting for almost a week and a half and even though I'm on the blanks, my period does not start now until almost the second week of my new pack. 2. My breasts are extremely tender ALL.MONTH.LONG! At first, I didn't mind because my breasts grew by almost a full cup. I can hardly hug people! I don't know if I'll continue or at least take a break."

joyazgirl (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 4, 2015

"Yaz has been a complete lifesaver. I used to suffer with heavy bleeding and cramps that had me bedridden. I've been on Yaz since 16 and I don't regret it at all. I have absolutely no side effects and there is no complications with my health either. If you're a first timer - Yaz is the way to go."

PMS = Pretty Mad Sister (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 2, 2015

"I have been on Yaz for 3 years now and it really helped with a lot of things. My mild acne cleared up and I have beautiful skin, and before Yaz I had very irregular periods that would last for 2 weeks at a time. Yaz controlled my period and I only have it for about 3-4 days and it is very light. I do get moody while taking the white pills (last 4 pills) and I hate everything, but I've always been like that and it only lasts a few days. It has helped a great deal in preventing pregnancy, since I don't always use condoms. I would definitely recommend this pill."

Anonymous December 27, 2014

"I have been on yaz for 8 months, the first 5 months were great, but now im having my period for 3 weeks per month. It goes away the first week of my pills and comes back 2nd week... time to switch. I had zero breakouts and i lost 10 pounds that was great though"

Starxoxo November 13, 2014

"Made me vomit up to three times a day on random days .. Up to the third month. Gave me horrible nightmares every night not one missed starting last month. Love working out don't have energy to do it anymore. Sleep way too much 13 hours or more a day with naps. Depression before I went to sleep sometime I would cry my eyeballs out. Did not gain weight on it and I have the most amazing skin you can think of and period for only two days. Let's weight this out here, NO Can't do it. Switching to mini pills!"

Candy1092 October 10, 2014

"I was taking Yaz for almost 7 years and I loved it! My weight never changed, my skin was beautiful, normal sex drive, no cramps, 3-4 days periods. In 2013 I saw some weird spots on my face, after the consultation with a doc it turned out to be Melasma (nothing dangerous but it doesn't look good) . One of the most common causes is oral birth control. It wasn't the Yaz, just birth control with higher amount of progestin. I switched to Mirena and that was the worst decision ever! Acne, mood changes, gained 20 pounds in 3 weeks. I'm going back on the pill this month and we will see how it goes, I will post about it in about 6 months."

Joanna1986 (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 10, 2014

"I've been on Yaz since I was 23 and I'm 28 now. In the first month or so I had mild side effects-felt a bit dizzy and had some breakthrough bleeding, but they subsided after a month or two. I have PMDD, and Yaz has been a Godsend in regulating my moods-instead of being out of control for 3 weeks, I only have PMDD for little less than a week. It's definitely helped me and I'd be a hot mess without it!"

Anne F. October 6, 2014

"Upon requesting a Yaz prescription from my doctor, I was initially concerned as I was very nauseous and threw-up a few times in the morning during the first week. Nonetheless, I remained on Yaz and I am certainly glad that I did. I do not suffer from any acne with the exception of the couple days preceding my period (minor and unpreventable chin acne due to hormones/menstruation). It%u2019s highly effective in preventing pregnancy and I have not noticed any weight gain. In fact, I felt thinner when I first began taking it. I do not experience any physical pain or health issues (I recently turned 21, I do not smoke, and I am very slim and active). Overall, Yaz is great."

CanadianGirl (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 19, 2014

"This was the first birth control pill I went on because I was having heavy periods and cramps but also because I started having sex. Never really had too many problems, still had pretty heavy days for the first 2 out of 6 but at least they would come like clockwork. I did get super emotional for about 3 days a month where almost anything would make me cry and where I would get the occasional extreme cramp. Overall it worked pretty well for me, never got pregnant even though had a ton of sex near the end (usually also had condoms) and managed to rarely miss a pill. "

em000 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 16, 2014

"My first month on Yaz, and I must say I've noticed two changes. On the plus side, period is much lighter and I'm not suffering from the debilitating exhaustion I had for years during each period. However, I'm getting panicky and got palpitations."

Elementalmage (taken for less than 1 month) September 14, 2014

"From the experience of taking Yaz for about two years. Advantages: no pain at PMS, less bleeding, scheduled period, for sale in most of the countries. disadvantages: cause me with gaining weight (about 3kg) for near two years, although there might be other reasons"

Anonymous September 11, 2014

"Made me very emotional and anxious, I felt like I was going crazy. It also made my periods irregular and gave me awful cramps. Only took for 4 months and it caused me to have 3 very painful ovarian cysts. Was not the right birth control for me!"

Emotional rollercoaster (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 6, 2014

"Yaz was great for about three months. Then with time I suddenly started to become too overbearing for many people in my life. I was always high strung, and I had intense symptoms of PMS. It got to the point where my family and friends basically ignored me for two weeks and I lost a relationship from it. It helped give me the estrogen I was lacking while being a great birh control, the PMS factor just overrided the others."

PMS Girl (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 18, 2014

"I have a regular cycle with no spotting. I did have some weight gain in the belly area but it helps with pimples and my PMS is better. I would recommend this pill."

Shanny112 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 6, 2014

"It is the most amazing medicine for birth control I ever used. I actually didn't use anything else except Yaz, never switched to another birth control pill. The only side effect is that I gained weight but that's nothing compared to how amazingly it works. I also got all the acne gone and I have regular periods."

Valona (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 15, 2014

"At first I really loved Yaz. There was little to no weight gain, it didn't make me have any mood swings. I've been taking it for 7 months, and for the last 4 months, I've noticed a decrease in sex drive, very very little lubrication, and haven't gotten my period for the last 3 months... which is a scary thing. On top of that I started bleeding during intercourse. Each month I went to the gyno to see what was wrong, I took a pregnancy test there each month and every test came out negative. I got looked at and got other tests done and everything came out negative and normal. I've now been very tired and irritable lately and the doctor's still don't seem to know exactly what's wrong, which is very stressful. I'm now switching to NuvaRing."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 14, 2013

"I LOVED Yaz, I was on it for 2 years. It caused my cramps to stop completely and I had no side effects the only thing I had was a loss in my sex drive. But I think all birth control does that to me. Only reason I switched was because I couldn't remember to take it every day anymore because my work and college was all over the place. I would go days without it."

Brydawn (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 27, 2013